Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,465 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

What Is God? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is God? (9885 Views)

Is God Really Omniscience? Does He Know Everything? / Jesus Christ Is God Almighty :ask Me Anything!! / Is God Sovereign? - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:14pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

I do agree, yet you see meaning in my interpretation. No? If I believe the story that suggests I should not eat fruits that nourish one with knowledge, I will be ignorant and a slave to those who do nourish themselves with knowledge. They will be my master and I will labour in their garden for pittance. Not even clothing, the story suggests.

You nourish yourself with fruits of knowledge, which is why you are not a believer in what you are told. No?

You are using the New Testament, a continuation of Old Testament that was written in Hebrew?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 3:16pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Where was it written?
What year did he go?
Which school?

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 3:17pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

You are using the New Testament, a continuation of Old Testament that was written in Hebrew?

I am not only using the New Testament, or the Old!

Those who read only one book will be ignorant and malnourished!

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:18pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

You don’t understand what you are posting..
Herod is a name of a king in Old Testament, and they were not talking about Jesus there.
The isreal they are calling out of Egypt is not Jesus lol, I think it was Moses.

And which “God” was doing the calling here?
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:19pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

I am not only using the New Testament, or the Old!

Those who read only one book will be ignorant and malnourished!

How then did you learn about Jesus if not these 2?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 3:27pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Logos during christ time are you serious ?
Christ is a “Greek” word that got his origin from Hebrew “messiah”
The New Testament you are using was written hundreds years after Jesus die, so what you mean during Christ time?

The idea of Jesus was cobbled together from numerous sources. Happypagan, I think it was, recently posted a list of numerous individuals who were messiahs like Jesus, and rose up on the third day like Jesus, and only those who read one book would claim what you are claiming here.

Below is Ptolemy being the saviour long before Christ, as was Alexander before him.

Until the day when he openly assumed an independent kingship as Ptolemy I Soter, on November 7, 305 BCE, Ptolemy used only the title satrap of Egypt, but the great hieroglyphic Satrap stela, which he had inscribed in 311 BCE, indicates a degree of self-confidence that transcends his viceregal role. It reads, “I, Ptolemy the satrap, I restore to Horus, the avenger of his father, the lord of Pe, and to Buto, the lady of Pe and Dep, the territory of Patanut, from this day forth for ever, with all its villages, all its towns, all its inhabitants, all its fields.” The inscription emphasizes Ptolemy’s own role in wresting the land from the Persians (though the epithet of Soter, meaning “Saviour,” resulted not from his actions in Egypt but from the gratitude of the people of Rhodes for his having relieved them from a siege in 315 BCE) and links him with Khabbash, who about 338 BCE had laid claim to the kingship during the last Persian occupation.
https://www.britannica.com/place/ancient-Egypt/Macedonian-and-Ptolemaic-Egypt-332-30-bce

She'd, is another.

As for Logos. Aristotle and Heraclitus died long before Christ.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:29pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

The idea of Jesus was cobbled together from numerous sources. Happypagan, I think it was, recently posted a list of numerous individuals who were messiahs like Jesus, and rose up on the third day like Jesus, and only those who read one book would claim what you are claiming here.

Below is Ptolemy being the saviour long before Christ, as was Alexander before him.

She'd, is another.

As for Logos. Aristotle and Heraclitus died long before Christ.

The idea of Jesus was gotten from the Hebrew Bible.
Messiah is a Hebrew word and it translates to Christ in GREEK.

Multiple sources yet you only use New Testament to know about Jesus. Why?
Was Aristotle a Hebrew? Was Jesus a Greek?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 3:34pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

You don’t understand what you are posting..
Herod is a name of a king in Old Testament, and they were not talking about Jesus there.
The isreal they are calling out of Egypt is not Jesus lol, I think it was Moses.

And which “God” was doing the calling here?

You don't understand what I am posting here, May. You are limiting yourself to what is written in only one book, and you think I am limited too.

The New Testament clearly states that “Out of Egypt I called my son.”

The question to ponder would then be, what exactly is "my son", along with who the "I" doing the calling was, and what exactly Egypt has to do with anything, and is where I'd expect Sonmvayina to come explain what this allegory means.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:35pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

You don't understand what I am posting here, May. You are limiting yourself to what is written in only one book, and you think I am limited too.

The question to ponder would then be, what exactly is "my son", along with who the "I" doing the calling was, and what exactly Egypt has to do with anything, and is where I'd expect Sonmvayina to come explain what this allegory means.

Who was the father that was calling his son?
What does hosea 11:2 say?
The book you are quoting is gotten from Judaism, Torah, Old Testament, hope you know?

Jesus was a kid when he went to Egypt and he stayed for few months, which school did he go?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 3:37pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

The idea of Jesus was gotten from the Hebrew Bible.
No it wasn't, May. But if you wish to believe so I'm not fussed.

As mentioned, there is a reason for "out of Egypt I called my son".
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:38pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

No it wasn't, May. But if you wish to believe so I'm not fussed.

As mentioned, there is a reason for "out of Egypt I called my son".

It’s gotten from the Hebrew Bible. Even the name “jesus” is of Hebrew origin.. jesus is literally a Jew cheesy
The “out of Egypy I called my son” is gotten from Old Testament aka Hebrew Bible. Check hosea 11:2 for the reason.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 3:47pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Who was the father that was calling his son?
Ancient Bible speak written when eyes were dim and the gods were responsible for all things.

Indian your eyes of the gods and you might comprehend.

Maynman:

Jesus was a kid when he went to Egypt and he stayed for few months, which school did he go?
Even if he stayed a day, the "calling out of Egypt" would have significance to one like me who, as stated, began with Greek and Egyptian Gods. It should at least make one go find out how gods are made in Egypt, no? They did have long experience of God making after all.

Are you aware Moses got his understanding of God from Egypt too? Pity we do not have an older testament out of there, but those who would ask and knock and seek would go looking in Egypt.
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:49pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Ancient Bible speak written when eyes were dim and the gods were responsible for all things.

Indian your eyes of the gods and you might comprehend.

Even if he stayed a day, the "calling out of Egypt" would have significance to one like me who, as stated, began with Greek and Egyptian Gods. It should at least make one go find out how gods are made in Egypt, no? They did have long experience of God making after all.

Are you aware Moses got his understanding of God from Egypt too? Pity we do not have an older testament out of there, but those who would ask and knock and seek would go looking in Egypt.

So which school did you say he went to?
Jesus is not a Greek person, he is a Jew.
Read the whole verse not just hosea 11:1, what does 11:2 say?
Where did Abraham get his understanding from?

Ancient Bible was written in Hebrew, why are you lying to yourself?
Hebrew comes from the Semitic people.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 3:50pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

It’s gotten from the Hebrew Bible. Even the name “jesus” is of Hebrew origin.. jesus is literally a Jew cheesy
The “out of Egypy I called my son” is gotten from Old Testament aka Hebrew Bible. Check hosea 11:2 for the reason.

May, we are talking of two different things. You are focused on a person called Jesus, while I am focusing on what a person called Jesus represents. They are not the same thing.

Logos has no nationality, and Jesus is a representation for those incapable of using their own minds.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:52pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

May, we are talking of two different things. You are focused on a person called Jesus, while I am focusing on what a person called Jesus represents. They are not the same thing.

Logos has no nationality, and Jesus is a representation for those incapable of using their own minds.

Jesus is a Jew, has Hebrew origin.. logos is not a Hebrew word. What’s logos called in Hebrew?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 3:55pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

How then did you learn about Jesus if not these 2?

I learnt about Jesus from Greek and Egyptian philosophy, Mayn, and from Buddhism too. It's not about an individual called Jesus, but about what Jesus represents, which is the ability to use one's own senses instead of merely believing.

As I keep repeating, one should not read only one book!

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 3:55pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Jesus is a Jew, has Hebrew origin.. logos is not a Hebrew word. What’s logos called in Hebrew?
Sorry, I don't speak Hebrew, but I'm sure Google translate would help you.
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:56pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

I learnt about Jesus from Greek and Egyptian philosophy, Mayn, and from Buddhism too. It's not about an individual called Jesus, but about what Jesus represents, which is the ability to use one's own senses instead of merely believing.

As I keep repeating, one should not read only one book!

Greek and Egyptian, any other place got the story of Jesus from the Hebrew Bible. Stop lying to yourself.
Jesus is literally gotten from Hebrew same as joshua.
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:57pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Sorry, I don't speak Hebrew, but I'm sure Google translate would help you.

Jesus didn’t speak Greek and English. He was a JEW.
Everything you know about Jesus is from Hebrew origin.
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 3:58pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Why are you accusing me of what you are doing, son? Am I writing beyond your level of comprehension perhaps?

The stories are not only allegories, son, they are also mythology.

Please post the meaning of mythology so I know what you understand.

You wish,

They are allegorical and myth..
Then why single out Jesus like he actually existed ?

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:01pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Greek and Egyptian, any other place got the story of Jesus from the Hebrew Bible.

"Got the story", yes, from ideas that evolved out of Egyptian and Greecian ideology and philosophy.

The blind focus on the story and fail to see the philosophy and the ideology. It's why Jesus is their God.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 4:01pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Out of Egypt I called my son(jacob)
The son is Israel/Jacob..

You don't understand as much as you think you do...
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 4:02pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

"Got the story", yes, from ideas that evolved out of Egyptian and Greecian ideology and philosophy.

The blind focus on the story and fail to see the philosophy and the ideology. It's why Jesus is their God.

Egyptian, Greece and any other place got the story of Jesus from the Hebrew Bible.
Stop lying to yourself
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:07pm On Apr 21, 2022
sonmvayina:

You wish,

They are allegorical and myth..
Then why single out Jesus like he actually existed ?
See you accusing me of singling out what you singled out. Did you miss me plural out these others?

budaatum:

My Lord, buda always loved Jesus. One can't love Buddha and Mohammed and Lao Tzu and Atum and Darwin and Aristotle and Fela and Thoth, to name but a few, and leave Jesus out.

Note the inclusion of non-existant Thoth, please, and Atum.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:10pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Egyptian, Greece and any other place got the story of Jesus from the Hebrew Bible.
Stop lying to yourself

In Buddhism, we call what you are doing, focusing on the horse and not on what it brought in on its back.

Let me know when you move past the story that personified the human ability to reason and comprehend.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 4:11pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

In Buddhism, we call what you are doing, focusing on the horse and not on what it brought in on its back.

Let me know when you move past the story that personified the human ability to reason and comprehend.

“Jesus” is a Jew, and it’s origin comes solely from Hebrew Bible. Any other story you read of Jesus come from Hebrew. There was never a time they called Jesus “logos”, Jesus is a hebrew man not a greek.
Why are you afraid of this reality?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:12pm On Apr 21, 2022
sonmvayina:

Out of Egypt I called my son(jacob)
The son is Israel/Jacob..

You don't understand as much as you think you do...

Oh so amazing Egypt where some Almighty God calls his son, Israel/Jacob and some writer years later decided to apply it to an individual called Jesus.

Is that not a sufficient allegory directing you to go seek there, Son?

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 4:14pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Oh so amazing Egypt where some Almighty God calls his son, Israel/Jacob and some writer years later decided to apply it to an individual called Jesus.

Is that not a sufficient allegory directing you to go seek there, Son?

You don’t know the history of the Jesus you are calling logos, lol, I thought you were more sophisticated than this. This is all your understanding??
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:18pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

“Jesus” is a Jew, and it’s origin comes solely from Hebrew Bible. Any other story you read of Jesus come from Hebrew. There was never a time they called Jesus “logos”, Jesus is a hebrew man not a greek.
Why are you afraid of this reality?

Logos is not Jew, nor is it Hebrew, and it predated Jesus, whom we read in the Gospel according to John, is Logos, which he literally plagiarised in part from Heraclitus who wrote like 500 years before Jesus.

https://mindrenewers.com/2014/12/26/word-made-flesh-the-logos-philosophy-falls-short/

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 4:19pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Logos is not Jew, nor is it Hebrew, and it predated Jesus, whom we read in the Gospel according to John, is Logos, which he literally plagiarised in part from Heraclitus who wrote like 500 years before Jesus.

https://mindrenewers.com/2014/12/26/word-made-flesh-the-logos-philosophy-falls-short/
Logos in the Bible got his translation from a Hebrew word. And a certain god, gave many messiahs “logos” in the Bible.
Jesus is a Hebrew, so why did you call jesus a Greek title?
What was Jesus called in the hebrew Bible? Messiah.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:27pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

You don’t know the history of the Jesus you are calling logos, lol, I thought you were more sophisticated than this. This is all your understanding??

Did you miss KnownUnknown say this was my own interpretation and understanding and meaning, and me agreeing with him?

I'm not here to fulfill any thought you may have, May, nor am I claiming any knowledge of a history of Jesus, who as far as I'm concerned may have not even existed.

Fact is, Logos predated any story about Jesus, and someone decided to infer in the Gospel of John that the two are the same thing. Now, a reasonable thinking person would know that logos is not a human being nor a God, so the question I ask is why combine the two, and what does the combination mean or imply.

Answering such questions would surely stop one bowing to idols called Jesus. Or logos, for that matter.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 4:29pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Did you miss KnownUnknown say this was my own interpretation and understanding and meaning, and me agreeing with him?

I'm not here to fulfill any thought you may have, May, nor am I claiming any knowledge of a history of Jesus, who as far as I'm concerned may have not even existed.

Fact is, Logos predated any story about Jesus, and someone decided to infer in the Gospel of John that the two are the same thing. Now, a reasonable thinking person would know that logos is not a human being nor a God, so the question I ask is why combine the two, and what does the combination mean or imply.

Answering such questions would surely stop one bowing to idols called Jesus. Or logos, for that matter.

While calling logos, don’t forget about rhema too..
How did you arrive at relating logos to Jesus, is it not from the New Testament, did you read about Jesus from Greek?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional 2020 / Who's Your Favourite Bible Character? / Watch This Litte Boy Doing REAL Magic With JUJU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.