Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,354 members, 7,836,450 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls (13723 Views)

OBJ Wanted A Buhari/Okonjo-Iweala Ticket In 2011 Polls-- El Rufai. / List Of States With Electoral Malpractices In 2011 Polls - Is Your State Among? / Fg Releases N15bn To Police For 2011 Polls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by Onlytruth(m): 8:52pm On May 03, 2010
TewMuch:

I know you may be  driven by your cause but OBJ did a lot while in office. A lot more than other presidents. He got the opportunity to continue a good job, and s[b]trongly supported Jonathan to where he risked his life[/b]. The debt that got settled when he was in office accounts for nothing? Nigeria was on the path of living on aid from international bodies. OBJ did a lot under the circumstances. He did not need to employ Igbo's or need their help, he appointed them because they were qualified for the job. He also obviously wanted an inclusive government. He could have easily appointed Yoruba's in those positions. This just shows you that Yoruba's are more fair than other's in their dealings, and practically it is a weakness because the other tribes do not operate the same way.

I just want you to understand one more point. IBB was the president of Nigeria at a time one barrel of oil was selling for between $10 and $15 per barrel. In the gulf war "oil boom" which lasted only a few months, oil sold for about $40 per barrel.
Now compare that to an Obasanjo era (8 whole years!) when oil averaged about $80 per barrel.  Pray, how do you even begin to compare the two?
IBB was even able to keep the Naira at about N12 -N20 (If I'm not mistaken) in those horrible income scenario. Compare that to Obasanjo era which saw our money plummet to N180 and then settled at N150 per $1.

How did IBB build the third mainland bridge (the IBB bridge)? What did Obasanjo build in 8 years of oil boom?

IBB did his best. He was unlucky. Let's keep things in proper perspective.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by TewMuch: 8:59pm On May 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

I just want you to understand one more point. IBB was the president of Nigeria at a time one barrel of oil was selling for between $10 and $15 per barrel. In the gulf war "oil boom" which lasted only a few months, oil sold for about $40 per barrel.
Now compare that to an Obasanjo era (8 whole years!) when oil averaged about $80 per barrel.  Pray, how do you even begin to compare the two?
IBB was even able to keep the Naira at about N12 -N20 (If I'm not mistaken) in those horrible income scenario. Compare that to Obasanjo era which saw our money plummet to N180 and then settled at N150 per $1.

How did IBB build the third mainland bridge (the IBB bridge)? What did Obasanjo build in 8 years of oil boom?

IBB did his best. He was unlucky. Let's keep things in proper perspective.

You are being thoroughly subjective in your argument. If you are gonna compare regime's, compare the both of thems military regime. IBB started the downward spiral that OBJ had to deal with in the democratic regime. Before OBJ came back into power, Abacha ruled. I hope you remember this? So until you can compare the both of thems military regime's then you have an argument. Also, compare all those regime's after IBB to OBJ's 8 years with respect to their accomplishments.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by fugocisse: 9:00pm On May 03, 2010
ojukwu please you are going too far, who in his right mind will support IBB for president after what he did to  nigeria, ojukwu please we igbos do not support and will never support IBB speak only for your mind and dont bring us inn, lets just face the fact.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by Onlytruth(m): 9:04pm On May 03, 2010
TewMuch:

You are being thoroughly subjective in your argument. If you are gonna compare regime's, c[b]ompare the both of thems military regime.[/b] IBB started the downward spiral that OBJ had to deal with in the democratic regime. Before OBJ came back into power, Abacha ruled. I hope you remember this? So until you can compare the both of thems military regime's then you have an argument. Also, compare all those regime's after IBB to OBJ's 8 years with respect to their accomplishments.

Even if I compare the two military regimes, Obasanjo still enjoyed a better oil boom in the 70s than IBB did in the 80s and early 90s. What did Obasanjo do with the money, he organized FESTAC and ITT where Fela said he (OBJ) and Abiola stole our money. So what are we talking about?
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by dayokanu(m): 9:11pm On May 03, 2010
“Tell your principal that Igbos are for him. He has my support and by extension he has the support of the whole Igbo people both at home and in the Diaspora. He is my friend and I am stoutly behind him,” Ojukwu said.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/may/3/505.html
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by Onlytruth(m): 9:15pm On May 03, 2010
dayokanu:

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/may/3/505.html

Yes! He supports IBB. (Really)Why shouldn't he?

To indulge your feelings? lmfao!
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by TewMuch: 9:16pm On May 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

Even if I compare the two military regimes, Obasanjo still enjoyed a better oil boom in the 70s than IBB did in the 80s and early 90s. What did Obasanjo do with the money, he organized FESTAC and ITT where Fela said he (OBJ) and Abiola stole our money. So what are we talking about?

grin grin grin
you vehemently refuse to accept the truth and try to explain it away. Whatever benefits IBB got as president was passed down from OBJ's regime was it not? And he even managed to Bleep that up as well. How many billions of $$$ did IBB steal as a result? So because Fela was accusing his own brother's as a way to wake up their conscience you conclude they were the only ones that stole? Since you brought up comparing the both of them, please do so objectively. Every leader in Nigeria has stolen, but IBB's theft is in a different league. He crippled Nigeria, and continued through Abacha. His theft was astronomical.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by obinon(m): 9:21pm On May 03, 2010
@bk/babe97.I don't have your time,i have better things doing.Wasn't gowon the head of state then.If d thing dey pain you say Ojukwu dey support ibb go hug transformer.Anúöfia
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by Onlytruth(m): 9:22pm On May 03, 2010
TewMuch:

grin grin grin
you vehemently refuse to accept the truth and try to explain it away. Whatever benefits IBB got as president was passed down from OBJ's regime was it not? And he even managed to bleep that up as well. How many billions of $$$ did IBB steal as a result? So because Fela was accusing his own brother's as a way to wake up their conscience you conclude they were the only ones that stole? Since you brought up comparing the both of them, please do so objectively. Every leader in Nigeria has stolen, but IBB's theft is in a different league. He crippled Nigeria, and continued through Abacha. His theft was astronomical.

How much did Obasanjo steal? In one department alone (electricity) we lost $16 billion to Obasanjo and his gang of thieves. In road construction, we lost N300 billion. No one knows how much OBJ stole, which is part of why he is desperate to pick a president who will help cover his tracks.

Ol boy, the day alarm go blow for OBJ, all you his supporters will faint.  cool
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by TewMuch: 9:24pm On May 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

How much did Obasanjo steal? In one department alone (electricity) we lost $16 billion to Obasanjo and his gang of thieves. In road construction, we lost N300 billion. No one knows how much OBJ stole, which is part of why he is desperate to pick a president who will help cover his tracks.

Ol boy, the day alarm go blow for OBJ, all you his supporters will faint.  cool

Compare both their regimes please. With facts and figures or else you will have to change your NL name to something more fitting. Lets stick to the arguments. thanks.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by Onlytruth(m): 9:27pm On May 03, 2010
TewMuch:

Compare both their regimes please. With facts and figures or else you will have to change your NL name to something more fitting. Lets stick to the arguments. thanks.

I can close my eyes now and name at least five solid national "institutions" created by IBB which still play critical role in the Nigerian nation today. I can't even name ONE of Obasanjos. IBB tried his best. He used the best technocrats we had at the time to try fixing the country's problems.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by Onlytruth(m): 9:28pm On May 03, 2010
IBB organised the best elections in Nigerian history. Obasanjo organised the worst election in the WHOLE WORLD.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by TewMuch: 9:29pm On May 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

I can close my eyes now and name at least five solid national "institutions" created by IBB which still play critical role in the Nigerian nation today. I can't even name ONE of Obasanjos. IBB tried his best. He used the best technocrats we had at the time to try fixing the country's problems.

Please close it and name. You must not fall asleep while trying to. Do not include the ministry of drug trade and corruption
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by Ndipe(m): 9:30pm On May 03, 2010
Pathetic
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by Onlytruth(m): 9:36pm On May 03, 2010
I will list a few:

Federal Environmental Protection Agency (FEPA)
National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA)
State Security Services (SSS)
National Directorate of Employment (NDE)
National War College (Currently going by a different name I can't remember).
I believe the Nigerian Civil Defense Corp was also formed during his era.
He also moved the capital to Abuja ( you may not agree but it needed huge expenditures)
National Elections Commission -NEC which metamorphosed into INEC (which replaced FEDECO).

There are many many others.

The third mainland bridge is there and solving major transportation problems in Lagos. It used to be hell going into Lagos Island and Ikoyi before that bridge.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by rasputinn(m): 9:40pm On May 03, 2010
Now it's official,Ojukwu has lost it.Senility has set in and the old man has gone bunkers
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by Onlytruth(m): 9:42pm On May 03, 2010
@TewMuch

Don't tell me you've given up. lipsrsealed shocked
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by obinon(m): 9:43pm On May 03, 2010
Serious.8 pages for an argument because a paper says ojukwu backs ibb.Obasanjo that selected yarasick nkò?  grin
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by phonestud: 9:57pm On May 03, 2010
i pledge to Niaja my country, PDP! people deceiving people. Ojukwu backing IBB ! In fact there is fire on the mountain
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by TewMuch: 9:57pm On May 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

I will list a few:

Federal Environmental Protection Agency (FEPA)- What has this institution done in preventing oil spills that destroy the Nigerian Environment?

National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) - To conceal and put a legal name on drug trafficking

State Security Services (SSS)-  Babangida in June 1986 issued Decree Number 19, dissolving the NSO and restructuring Nigeria's security services into three separate organizations under the Office of the Co-ordinator of National Security. The new State Security Service (SSS) was responsible for intelligence within Nigeria. Babangida scrapped Decree Number 4 and reduced the punishment for drug traffickers from public execution to jail terms and he annulled the proscription of "radical" groups such as the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS).
http://www.fas.org/irp/world/nigeria/sss.htm
National Directorate of Employment (NDE)- How many Nigerians have Jobs?
National War College (Currently going by a different name I can't remember).- yea sure
He also moved the capital to Abuja ( you may not agree but it needed huge expenditures)- LOL!!!
National Elections Commission -NEC which metamorphosed into INEC (which replaced FEDECO).

The third mainland bridge is there and solving major transportation problems in Lagos. It used to be hell going into Lagos Island and Ikoyi before that bridge.- It only says it was OPENED by IBB. Not initiated. LOL!!!
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by Dominoifet(m): 10:04pm On May 03, 2010
When a man begins to tell himself lies and looks at every clue to buttress it, just like the theory of rEVOLUTION mostly premised on the fact that Darwin lost a loved one/daughter and couldn't get over it and he had health issues!!!***shakes head***.

How cleverly confused that fellow would be with all his gleeful students with him in a charade of hypnotic tendenses laced with eternally missing links, and to him it is conspirately hidden by a 'supreme being'. So when he escavates a bone in d artic or antartic, north or south or west, it is d missing link.

How pathetic? Survival of the fittest!!!
(Let him that read decode)
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by sjeezy8: 10:21pm On May 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

I will list a few:

Federal Environmental Protection Agency (FEPA)
National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA)
State Security Services (SSS)
National Directorate of Employment (NDE)
National War College (Currently going by a different name I can't remember).
He also moved the capital to Abuja ( you may not agree but it needed huge expenditures)

The third mainland bridge is there and solving major transportation problems in Lagos. It used to be hell going into Lagos Island and Ikoyi before that bridge.

hmm. . . . . Ive never heard an igboman try to make such an argument in favour of a northerner - IBB at that!

NAIJA IS CHANGING OHHHHHHHHH- not really Im surprised the rest of the south are making arguments for Jonathan to becomes president, you and ojukwu are making arguments for IBB. LOL ironic

IBB can become president- If Nigerians are silly why not? IBB is my uncles very close friend- I still dont want him to become president, So what do you gain by being up his butt? If you dont know him or anyone who is close to him?

It really baffles me why people defend corrupt leaders - and they have nothing to gain from it. Its not like you people know IBB or  anything so why? Hes not giving money or contracts  . . . .

Nigerians are incredibly silly- I dont want IBB to be president but if he does its fine with me.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by TewMuch: 10:37pm On May 03, 2010
NOW OBJ's Legacy grin

1976-1979
General Muhammed was assassinated on February 13, 1976, in an abortive coup. His chief of staff, Lt. Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo, became head of state. Obasanjo adhered meticulously to the schedule for return to civilian rule, moving to modernize and streamline the armed forces and seeking to use oil revenues to diversify and develop the country's economy. Seven new states were created in 1976, bringing the total to 19. The process of creating additional states continued until, in 1996, there were 36.

The Second Republic
A constituent assembly was elected in 1977 to draft a new constitution, which was published September 21, 1978, when the ban on political activity, in effect since the advent of military rule, was lifted. Political parties were formed, and candidates were nominated for president and vice president, the two houses of the National Assembly, governorships, and state houses of assembly. In 1979, five political parties competed in a series of elections in which a northerner, Alhaji Shehu Shagari of the National Party of Nigeria (NPN), was elected president. All five parties won representation in the National Assembly.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2836.htm
Institutions and Projects in just 3 years:
1) As Head of the Federal Military Government of Nigeria from 1976-1979, he presided over the first voluntary transition to civil democratic rule on the African continent. (http://www.yaraduacentre.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28)
2) In 1977, the federal government abolished the payment of tuition fees for all undergraduate programs in its universities and set the hostel accommodation fee
3) 1977,Lagos Stock Exchange became, Nigerian Stock exchange ( Being inclusive so that the rest of Nigeria can benefit grin)
4)Nigerian Reinsurance Corporation (http://www.nigeriareinsurance.com/about-history.html)
5) Federal Mortgage Bank-The FMBN was established by a military decree No 7 of 20th January 1977 when it was capitalized with the sum of N20 million as the apex mortgage institution in the country. (http://allafrica.com/stories/200911301291.html)
6) JAMB
to name a few. That is 3 years. The 1999 to 2000's is yet to come. brb. Not giving up yet. You shall see the truth and it shall set you free. Or you change your NL name.lol.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by Nobody: 11:11pm On May 03, 2010
TewMuch:

NOW OBJ's Legacy grin

1976-1979
General Muhammed was assassinated on February 13, 1976, in an abortive coup. His chief of staff, Lt. Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo, became head of state. Obasanjo adhered meticulously to the schedule for return to civilian rule, moving to modernize and streamline the armed forces and seeking to use oil revenues to diversify and develop the country's economy. Seven new states were created in 1976, bringing the total to 19. The process of creating additional states continued until, in 1996, there were 36.

The Second Republic
A constituent assembly was elected in 1977 to draft a new constitution, which was published September 21, 1978, when the ban on political activity, in effect since the advent of military rule, was lifted. Political parties were formed, and candidates were nominated for president and vice president, the two houses of the National Assembly, governorships, and state houses of assembly. In 1979, five political parties competed in a series of elections in which a northerner, Alhaji Shehu Shagari of the National Party of Nigeria (NPN), was elected president. All five parties won representation in the National Assembly.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2836.htm
Institutions and Projects in just 3 years:
1) As Head of the Federal Military Government of Nigeria from 1976-1979, he presided over the first voluntary transition to civil democratic rule on the African continent. (http://www.yaraduacentre.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28)
2) In 1977, the federal government abolished the payment of tuition fees for all undergraduate programs in its universities and set the hostel accommodation fee
3) 1977,Lagos Stock Exchange became, Nigerian Stock exchange ( Being inclusive so that the rest of Nigeria can benefit grin)
4)Nigerian Reinsurance Corporation (http://www.nigeriareinsurance.com/about-history.html)
5) Federal Mortgage Bank-The FMBN was established by a military decree No 7 of 20th January 1977 when it was capitalized with the sum of N20 million as the apex mortgage institution in the country. (http://allafrica.com/stories/200911301291.html)
6) JAMB
to name a few. That is 3 years. The 1999 to 2000's is yet to come. brb. Not giving up yet. You shall see the truth and it shall set you free. Or you change your NL name.lol.

the only ACHIEVEMENT obasanjo could accomplish that made him different from babangida was his ability as a military dictator to handover to a NORTHERNER sheu shagari,a democratic president while ibb couldnt handover to abiola,a yoruba man instead cancelled the election.
@onlytruth
would ibb have cancelled the 1993 election if Tofa,a northerner of NRC party had won the election.please answer this.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by OJ2010: 11:31pm On May 03, 2010
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls
« #212 on: Today at 07:53:26 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And what ethnicity would this SS person represent? When you say SS do you mean an Ijaw VP? He has to get the support of the East first.

And you act as if the SS is one homogenous ethnic group. Sorry to tell you but we Igbo are part of the SS for better or for worse. 

Eze,
Can you explain how Igbos are part of SS? Remember SS is different from Niger delta states
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by nauvel: 12:25am On May 04, 2010
A lot of the responses on this thread only shows that people can be selectively blind, deaf and dumb when the truth is before them.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by Akosbaba(m): 12:54am On May 04, 2010
lets throw sentiments away and call this what it is.why on earth would anyone parley with ibb if not 4 selfish reasons.ojukwu secessionist ideas back then may have had some ground on preferrential treatment by d northern majority nigerian govt but all in all he wanted to be some kind of cult hero by creating biafra.old man u can do better than this.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by metalgong5(m): 1:13am On May 04, 2010
Akosbaba:

lets throw sentiments away and call this what it is.why on earth would anyone parley with ibb if not 4 selfish reasons.ojukwu secessionist ideas back then may have had some ground on preferrential treatment by d northern majority nigerian govt  but all in all he wanted to be some kind of cult hero by creating biafra.old man u can do better than this.

Are you not the selfish imbe-cile . . . . At your age you are already going senile.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by greenlabel: 4:14am On May 04, 2010
I have been following this tread from the begining, and its so amazing that IBB and Ojukwu is the reason why you all are spitting all this venom. For God's sake UNITY & LOVE is what will make this country stand,and not leaders in the person of Ojukwu or IBB. Having said that, is there anything that we as a country can achieve without the intervention of the ulmighty? Please lets all stop this tribalisim stuff and think of a way to move this country forward. Metal gong, eze uche and the rest who were opposing and supporting were just speaking their mind, so lets all take it as it is and put a stop to this e-war or cyber civil war. I speak all the 3 major languages in Nigeria, but still remain an igbo man. I am only appealing to all the parties involved, NO DISRESPECT INTENDED.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by JoeGaruba: 4:15am On May 04, 2010
Mental Gong!  grin
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by SLIGHT(m): 6:13am On May 04, 2010
Kai, this argument don pas power, dis one wey una de argue like fireworks world neva end o!! Some ppl here wey bin support ibb na 4 another pesn dey go go vote for, others wey no support am 4 hia go vote for am, make una no dull unasef all those politicians corrupt na our vote dem nid as greenlight 2 enta aso rock continue ssshhop so make una no kil una self wit insult for hia. Una think say na for saints or miracle worker una go vote for? haha ha lmao, gimme chance pas jare! election kor seletion ni.
Re: Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls by Nobody: 7:22am On May 04, 2010
greenlabel:

I have been following this tread from the begining, and its so amazing that IBB and Ojukwu is the reason why you all are spitting all this venom. For God's sake UNITY & LOVE is what will make this country stand,and not leaders in the person of Ojukwu or IBB. Having said that, is there anything that we as a country can achieve without the intervention of the ulmighty? Please lets all stop this tribalisim stuff and think of a way to move this country forward. Metal gong, eze uche and the rest who were opposing and supporting were just speaking their mind, so lets all take it as it is and put a stop to this e-war or cyber civil war. I speak all the 3 major languages in Nigeria, but still remain an igbo man. I am only appealing to all the parties involved, NO DISRESPECT INTENDED.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

President Jonathan Warns Nigerians To Expect More Soldiers During 2015 Elections / FCT Minister Orders End To Cattle Grazing In Abuja City Centre / Atiku Vs Buhari: Supreme Court To Hear Appeals On October 30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.