Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Yoruba Hebrew Heritage - Culture (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage (136115 Views)

Yoruba Hebrew Heritage (End Of Discussion) / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage (Thanksgiving Thread) / Unanswered Questions On Yoruba's Hebrew Heritage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (97) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by absoluteSuccess: 12:13pm On Jan 09, 2020
kayfra:

And who told you we couldn't have developed all that awesome cultural stuff mostly on our own and why do we have to appropriate other perceived advanced races to justify our own advancement?

Why the self loathing and hate?

This is a good psychoanalytic specimen of the way you think. You cannot reach beyond your worldview. An impenetrable world of races spanning from all eternity exist to you already.

Shame on you that in this age and time, a contributor who reduces others' effort to a thrash perceived the white as "advance races". Race is a sociological invention of the Renaissance.

The advance races of the medieval age were black people, Africans who ruled the ancient Egypt and passed enlightenment to the Greeks. They may have fizzled out but are they less?

Your education is a sham. I will be good to tell you that that's not how to reference others in comparison to you even as a "developing country" or a black African.

Meanwhile, this is not a politics or international relations thread, but cultural, historical or sociological discourse thread. The West is "White" or "West," not "advance races".

The core of your thinking reeks of inferiority complex. The irony is, you are here to fight against inferiority complex. When you say 'advance', what are you thinking?

This betrayed your perception about the us as primitive, crude and without "advance" sense of purpose other than what you are guided to do by the advance people.

That's a good idea inspired by Western education. Taken a cue from "The Tempest" by Shakespeare in his play involving Prospero and Taliban.

Western education has achieved it's aim in a simpleton like you. Your education makes you think from a fixed frame.

If the white folks are the advance race, then they are "Homo sapiens", and you (the primitive races) is "Homo abilis".

Go and sought your thinking out before coming here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by kayfra: 12:24pm On Jan 09, 2020
absoluteSuccess:

This is a good psychoanalytic specimen of the way you think. You cannot reach beyond your worldview. An impenetrable world of races spanning from all eternity exist to you already.

Shame on you that in this age and time, a contributor who reduces others' effort to a thrash sees the white perceived the white as "advance races".

Your education is a sham. I will be good to tell you that that's not how to reference others in comparison to you even as a "developing country" or a black African.

Meanwhile, this is not a politics or international relations thread, but cultural, historical or sociological discourse thread. The West is "White" or "West," not "advance races".

The core of your thinking reeks of inferiority complex. The irony is, you are here to fight against inferiority complex. When you say 'advance', what are you thinking?

This betrayed your perception about the us as primitive, crude and without "advance" sense of purpose other than what you are guided to do by the advance people.

That's a good idea inspired by Western education. Taken a cue from "The Tempest" by Shakespeare in his play involving Prospero and Taliban.

Western education has achieved it's aim in a simpleton like you. Your education makes you think from a fixed frame.

If the white folks are the advance race, then they are "Homo sapiens", and you (the primitive races) is "Homo abilis".

Go and sought your thinking out before coming here.

It's your own perception not mine. Who between us has been tirelessly trying to make a connection with another race by giving the most trifling association possible?

In your mind. You must think the other race justifies your advancement or how in the world does one start baseless associations?

You guys should restablish your progeny with Japanese people, Sebi they have a lot of Yoruba sounding words. Maybe we emigrated from Japan instead od Israel. And Nimrod is actually Yamaguchi. Tongue meet cheek wink

Awon asinwin. Effing clowns grin
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by absoluteSuccess: 1:18pm On Jan 09, 2020
kayfra:

It's your own perception not mine. Who between us has been tirelessly trying to make a connection with another race by giving the most trifling association possible?

In your mind. You must think the other race justifies your advancement or how in the world does one start baseless associations?

You guys should restablish your progeny with Japanese people, Sebi they have a lot of Yoruba sounding words. Maybe we emigrated from Japan instead od Israel. And Nimrod is actually Yamaguchi. Tongue meet cheek wink

That's exactly what I am saying, you think from a fixed frame of limitations. You insults to cleverly cover for your lack of knowledge.

However, that my triffling borders you so much as to comment without citing best alternatives to counter my triffling proofs you have nothing upstairs to offer than triffling too.

Where you can't think any further, you must always revert back to insults and polemics to cover up for your limitations. That's all your strength.

Is triffling the best answer to triffling from an erudite scholar whose history is being bastardized by triffling folks without an axiom of the trade and expertise of historians?

The joke is on you, keep triffling people who are already making progress with their findings. Your banters will come afterwards as Yoruba history.

Just keep waiting, your professor will have your back.

cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by absoluteSuccess: 1:28pm On Jan 09, 2020
MetaPhysical:
Yoruba civilization goes back centuries before colonization, from which point our modern literature and latin script took off. Accounts of exist of when Oba Eshinlokun sent Oshodi to Portugal to learn commerce and clerical duties for record keeping. Prior to contact with Portuguese Yoruba had a civilized value system. Did we have scholarship going back to that time and age? Are there records of literatures....not necessarily in English or any European script...but in any other known writing or symbolism or expression?

You are such a profound person. The basis of this trace back to the Sinai Inscriptions. This was the root of the modern alphabet as developed by the Phoenicians and adopted by the Greeks.

The ancient Phoenician city of byblos gave us the word bible, which is the forerunner to the word book. Latin derived from the Greek alphabet as a variant.

Byblos references "book" in the ideology of the Greeks, just as Phoenicia is idealistic for the clothing trade that the Phoenicians were well renowned for at the time.

Evidence in the Sinai Inscriptions

What's Yorubaic about the Sinai Inscriptions? Well our alphabet in their original pictographic forms sounds more Yorubaic than say, Greek. Example from the Sinai Inscriptions is letter R.

Originally, R is denoted with the head. The word for head in Yoruba is ORI. Now the reason for closeness in Yoruba sound to the root of letter R can only be inferred from Yoruba origin.

But what if that closeness is just a mere coincidence? It should have been the same with head rhyming with R. But head derived from Indo-European linguistic phylum instead.

However, a proof that this is no coincidence is still there in the Sinai Inscriptions. Again, the pictogram for "M" was originally denoted with water. That evolved to become M.

Compare the sound M with "Omi", and contrast this with English "water". One should be close home to the Sinai Inscriptions than the other.

From the book "Yoruba, Glimpses from the ancient past." By Ladi Akinleye. cool

That you now have this should proof your point beyond the abstract sir.

So how does that finds expression in Yoruba history? Well we have it said countless times without meaning to us. A reference to alphabet in Yoruba traditional eulogy of Ogun.

Ogun Koro biti: this eulogy could only meant to say that Ogun's signature or seal are coined from the alphabet b and t. That writings never survive is topic for another day.

Koro is Yoruba for "short cut", that's the very essence of alphabet compared to the Egyptian hieroglyphics that the Sinai Inscriptions tried to bypass. Here, we have it at seedling.

Just as we have bible from byblos, Koro is another word that has lingered in the same fashion. Thanks to the Qur'an, the first command to the prophet was "Iqra", that's Arabic prototype.

Koro is not a happenstance word, we have it entrenched in Yoruba history: ara resa, omo Badu elekoro; Iseyin Oro, omo ebedi moko; omo onimokan ajina, omo onimokan anodoru; akoka; imeko afo; a variant of mowe ib[afo].

Now thanks for mentioning Eshinlokun. Her tradition remind us of the story of Moses at the red Sea, ingrained to Yoruba tradition. Eshinlokun is an "Inagije", literally, "name that derived from the stretching of the rod".

As earlier demonstrated by the signature alphabet of Ogun, it simply implies that most Yoruba icons have names deduced from an aspect of their acts as titles.

Olokun for instance means one who divide the sea. That interpretation is not a ad-hoc one, but informed by the eulogy in "omoba labulabu" where labulabu means sea divider*.

Eshinlokun

Eshinlokun has a function of history other than this and this should be expected to be seen or heard of at the coast. The phrase could mean Eshinlokun, horse at Sea.

Horse is another name for ships used by the Tyrians in navigating the waters in the ancient world, due to the fact that the frontal view of ancient ships has the horse carved at it's head.

Exercise

Just as the Phoenicians were part of the Yoruba coalition of old, the name that came from their coast had been preserved in Yoruba journey system, and it survives as Itire.

One of the scions of Itire is Buari Oloto. Another coast of interest to the companions is Crete or Kittim (Greece). Akiti is a man of Kittim, just as Ekiti would be a transitive form of the word Akiti.

Now saying Ekiti-kete is a preservation of an ancient connection: Kittim-Crete. The flanks is reflective of the ancient history of the Sea people who influenced the ancient migration to Yoruba.

The Mycenaeans that settled down at Levant after being routed by the Egyptians became Philistines, they mixed with the natives and were part of David's mighty men.

These analysis is not another ad-hoc connection, it is a falsification test. Even traditions I'm not privy of now will sooner or later confirm it with time. It takes time for truth to aggregate.

Falsification test

People cannot move out of a region in great numbers that will secure their survival without old enemies and allies forgetting their petty differences to forge ahead for a common good.

*I have shared this in the past, about Olokun, as depicted in the apologetics recorded in Odu Oturupondi. Olokun was described as "omoba labulabu bii igba epo". Thus labu is "la okun".
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by nlPoster: 1:35pm On Jan 09, 2020
Since Itire has been brought into this narrative, can anyone give an actual history of the town?

Okun obviously is sea.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by kayfra: 3:59pm On Jan 09, 2020
absoluteSuccess:

That's exactly what I am saying, you think from a fixed frame of limitations. You insults to cleverly cover for your lack of knowledge.

However, that my triffling borders you so much as to comment without citing best alternatives to counter my triffling proofs you have nothing upstairs to offer than triffling too.

Where you can't think any further, you must always revert back to insults and polemics to cover up for your limitations. That's all your strength.

Is triffling the best answer to triffling from an erudite scholar whose history is being bastardized by triffling folks without an axiom of the trade and expertise of historians?

The joke is on you, keep triffling people who are already making progress with their findings. Your banters will come afterwards as Yoruba history.

Just keep waiting, your professor will have your back.

cheesy cheesy
You sure you don't want to take up on Yoruba reverse migration from Japan? Lolz

Your very own back to Africa theory grin
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by absoluteSuccess: 4:41pm On Jan 09, 2020
kayfra:

Keep enjoying yourself here bro.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by absoluteSuccess: 4:56pm On Jan 09, 2020
nlPoster:
Since Itire has been brought into this narrative, can anyone give an actual history of the town?

Okun obviously is sea.

Hmm good,

The Itire is a clan at Ado Odo, and a place name in Lagos State. Ogba and some other places like that, the families from these places look up to Ado as their original Homeland.

Ogba frolicks with Ido Agba quarter at Ado.

The Itire folks were eulogized as "omo onitire o'fanran". Somehow, Yoruba for France is fanranse. O'fanran is earlier than fanranse.

The ancestors were familiar with the Aegean sea and it's people before the recent past that the progenies from these places came to trouble us with greed, slavery and colonization.

Nevertheless, the eulogy of Itire is part of the way Ado as a city is often praised in her oriki orile.

Olisa ere lo kan omi osa, to s'oke ogbun dilu l'owode, omo onitire o fanran, omo onijofin...
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 12:00pm On Jan 10, 2020
Obalufon:
Yoruba are not bantu ..
Yes Sir, Yoruba aren't Bantu. Bantu is not in Yoruba's lexicon. Kwa is not in Yoruba's lexicon and has no meaning us.Kindly enlightened these people who don't know the reason we pride ourselves over others even in defeat, we make our voices heard because we are never a conquered people in our spirit .We are the ones that called ourselves Eda(Human creature) and the descendants of Ebora! The man who lived in ancient Oru.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 12:42pm On Jan 10, 2020
kayfra:

There is no word like sounding in my own research instesd it is called True cognate. And I have provided over 20 cognate between Yoruba and Ancient Hebrew which less than over 1000+ I have worked upon through my knowledge of ideograms . Sincerely,it is an amusement when I see your type who don't understand anything but try to distract with vulgar words usage. Honestly, I know it is hard for you and your likes to comprehend so, surf where your kind find peace of mind because cannot contribute anything meaningful here.

Below is a screenshot ancient Hebrew lettering, Resh/Reish which is also used Modern day Yoruba word for Orisha. Ancient Hebrew recognised the fact the head is man or the one atop, in the vein the Yoruba believed in her tradition as claiming Head as Orisha,which is heavily found in the way sculpture of Yoruba heads are unusually given more credence. May be you will claim the Yoruba's stole the word from ancient Hebrew because this symbol is older than the symbol found in Opa Oranmiyan because the lettering was gound in Sinai in Egypt. My advice to you is get books to educate yourself from ancient time apart from your oppressors who are English language's owner! grin grin

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 2:01pm On Jan 10, 2020
FrLukas:
I am not convinced that the Yorubas have a Hebrew heritage. The OP has provided no proof of this, just some mumbo jumbo about Elijah being taken away by a whirlwind and trying to link some Yoruba words with this event.

To me, the link looks tenuous and tedious. There are ancient documents that link Yorubas to ancient Canaan.

A subject such as this is most important and can't be covered by a few words on a blogosphere like this one.

I submit that it is high time our political and traditional leaders as well as academic scholars like Wole Soyinka and keepers of our ancient heritage and secrets come together and help us trace our root and our source.

Enough of all of these guess works and grandstanding. They are misleading.

That Yorubas originated from an ancient, rich and very developed source is not in doubt. You only need to check out the richness of the language, the idioms, idiosyncrasies, proverbs and general use of the language. You need to understand the Yoruba religion which some others have called Santeria, the beauty of the lores and legends, the elaborateness of the religious practices, the incredibility of the pantheons of gods in Yorubaland.

All these point to a history, obviously forgotten, that would wow us and make us understand that there was probably a time when our forefathers walked the earth majestically.

The time is ripe to harness all the intelligence we can muster as a people to trace our origins, because a people who don't know their past, will blunder and stumble on into the future.

When we know whose children we truly are then can we begin to cast off the yoke of white supremacy that beclouds out senses and makes us think we are inferior to the whites.

Then and only then can we look at ourselves and observe our living conditions in disgust and strive to become who we are meant to be.

This cannot happen if we keep misinforming ourselves and holding ourselves up to a standard that I am quite sure is way beneath us.

I remember that this was how some Moslems in Yorubaland tried to twist our history by saying that Oduduwa migrated from Mecca and the likes.

Yoruba, ji, ma sun!
Stop being myopic. Did Yoruba stole ‘Ela' which is God in Yoruba from the ancient Hebrew ? I dont joke facts I have in my care. Get book to read.

Below is the screenshot of Another name for God

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 2:52pm On Jan 10, 2020
kayfra:

I wonder reason for this wailing. Oya see Something to hurt your ignorance more. Below is
English :Peacock
Yoruba : ọkin
Ancient Hebrew : Tooke

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by kayfra: 2:56pm On Jan 10, 2020
Olu317:
I wonder reason for this wailing. Oya see Something to hurt your ignorance more. Below is
English :Peacock
Yoruba : ọkin
Ancient Hebrew : Tooke

Tooke and Okin? Lmao

Questions for you

1. When did Yoruba start using Okin?
2. When did the Hebrew start using Tookie?
3. WTF is the connection between Tookie and Okin? They don't even sound remotely close or related. I can as well insert the Gaelic word for Peacock and say I am making a point

Shoot your best shot grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 3:49pm On Jan 10, 2020
kayfra:

Tooke and Okin? Lmao

Questions for you

1. When did Yoruba start using Okin?
2. When did the Hebrew start using Tookie?
3. WTF is the connection between Tookie and Okin? They don't even sound remotely close or related. I can as well insert the Gaelic word for Peacock and say I am making a point

Shoot your best shot grin

1. From time immemorial.

2. Time immemorial before English Bible writers in early 1600s loaned many words from ancient Hebrew into her lexicon.

3. Yes both mean, peacock!
Meanwhile Turkey has another meaning in English language. grin

4. They sound alike,bro. It is called cognate. Beside, when one travel from one location to another, there is high degree of language contraction and drifts in language by newer generation speaker of such language.

5. Please do post and show the connection and lets do cognates comparison and her protolanguage development.

6. Yoruba : Kara ; contracted to (ra)
English language : Buy

Hebrew : Kara
Meaning: buy

Did Yoruba ancestors also laoned the above word? You guys are just bunch of funny lads grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by kayfra: 5:22pm On Jan 10, 2020
Olu317:

1. From time immemorial.

2. Time immemorial before English Bible writers in early 1600s loaned many words from ancient Hebrew into her lexicon.

3. Yes both mean, peacock!
Meanwhile Turkey has another meaning in English language. grin

4. They sound alike,bro. It is called cognate. Beside, when one travel from one location to another, there is high degree of language contraction and drifts in language by newer generation speaker of such language.

5. Please do post and show the connection and lets do cognates comparison and her protolanguage development.

6. Yoruba : Kara ; contracted to (ra)
English language : Buy

Hebrew : Kara
Meaning: buy

Did Yoruba ancestors also laoned the above word? You guys are just bunch of funny lads grin

Dude. Pick any language in the world and you'll find similar but far fetched associations.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 8:02pm On Jan 10, 2020
kayfra:

Dude. Pick any language in the world and you'll find similar but far fetched associations.
Lol. Do you not know there is false cognate? False cognate are two word that can be found in Two different area or ethnic groups which have semblance but have different meaning grin. Even if there is coincidence cognates which is different from protolanguage! Please, Look up Google if you're not conversant with my explanation . However, it seems you're sweating over my research work which is based on hardwork and your baseless assumptive fluke as some of you on here believed. It has been relentless effort studies that I have been in it for some years. So, don't patromise me!

Futhermore,once you find similar words across distinct places,then one or two things happened; teacher's language and learner's language exist, which is the reason, Bini land can easily switch between aboriginal Idu(Igodomigodo) language and Yoruba's language angry in the same manner Ibos have some cognate with Yoruba's language.

Therefore, it is ignorance on your part to be conclusive on what you basically have no knowledge. It is based on this, I want to expose you to your lording English language you known so much to have a lot of loaned word in her lexicon. Such loaned word is English Bible word ‘Christ', and Yoruba's Bible's ‘Kristi',which has no meaning in Yoruba language grin . This word was introduced through the Greek Bible as Χριστός (Christos), meaning, ‘anointed one' . So, there is Teacher's and Learner's language.

Interestingly,in coffins of Egyptian mummies the word ‘krst' is found as a blessing and anointing from Horus and Osiris, hence the word Christos is thought as loaned. Krst denoted the process of preparation of the mummy by embalming, purifying and anointing, and can mean anointed, buried or covered in oil.

My point here is that word being used by many people is created by one group and through interaction with others, such words are loaned into other people's lexicon... Thus,there is a master and servant in language. grin
Get knowledge!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by kayfra: 9:30pm On Jan 10, 2020
Olu317:
Lol. Do you not know there is false cognate? False cognate are two word that can be found in Two different area or ethnic groups which have semblance but have different meaning grin. Even if there is coincidence cognates which is different from protolanguage! Please, Look up Google if you're not conversant with my explanation . However, it seems you're sweating over my research work which is based on hardwork and your baseless assumptive fluke as some of you on here believed. It has been relentless effort studies that I have been in it for some years. So, don't patromise me!

Futhermore,once you find similar words across distinct places,then one or two things happened; teacher's language and learner's language exist, which is the reason, Bini land can easily switch between aboriginal Idu(Igodomigodo) language and Yoruba's language angry in the same manner Ibos have some cognate with Yoruba's language.

Therefore, it is ignorance on your part to be conclusive on what you basically have no knowledge. It is based on this, I want to expose you to your lording English language you known so much to have a lot of loaned word in her lexicon. Such loaned word is English Bible word ‘Christ', and Yoruba's Bible's ‘Kristi',which has no meaning in Yoruba language grin . This word was introduced through the Greek Bible as Χριστός (Christos), meaning, ‘anointed one' . So, there is Teacher's and Learner's language.

Interestingly,in coffins of Egyptian mummies the word ‘krst' is found as a blessing and anointing from Horus and Osiris, hence the word Christos is thought as loaned. Krst denoted the process of preparation of the mummy by embalming, purifying and anointing, and can mean anointed, buried or covered in oil.

My point here is that word being used by many people is created by one group and through interaction with others, such words are loaned into other people's lexicon... Thus,there is a master and servant in language. grin
Get knowledge!

There is knowledge and then their's fake knowledge

I want nothing to do wity the later.

Yeah, from many we have one. But the associations predates modern languages is my point. FYI. I posted DNA evidence amongst Yoruba admixture with euroasia years ago, so it's not that I am not aware of it. It's the mental gymnastics you guys go through to make fairly recent associations that amazes me. They are all funny grin
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Obalufon: 9:59pm On Jan 10, 2020
we need anthropologist to contribute to this forum ..Africans are not the same we are so diverse.. different group evolve differently ..But white will try to merge us all up to tag us as savage ..
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 4:44am On Jan 11, 2020
kayfra:

Yeah, from many we have one. But the associations predates modern languages is my point. FYI. I posted DNA evidence amongst Yoruba admixture with euroasia years ago, so it's not that I am not aware of it. It's the mental gymnastics you guys go through to make fairly recent associations that amazes me. They are all funny grin

1. There is nothing like pseudo(fake) knowledge on this issue because everything I posted is backed up with substantial corresponding fact

2. Lol, defence mechanism at play grin because You and your believers on Bantu connection are jokers because if English language is exposed to Hebrew language pre 1600 AD and named Yoruba's Tolotolo as Turkey, then, you need learn and not antagonise what you don't understand.

3. In indeed you posted DNA admixture on Yoruba with Eurasia many years ago,then,don't limit research work on yoruba people because,‘All Yoruba are Yoruba and all Yoruba are not Yoruba' because Yoruba conscripted many ethnic Africans through interaction. In fact, Western researchers have understudy Yoruba nation and posited that Yoruba tradition is foreign to Subsahara Africa but historians amongst Yoruba try so much to null this over towering evidence with the claim that connect Yoruba to Africa as if history of Yoruba begun in 1200 AD. And this historians can't even read the ideograms writing on Opa Oranmiyan, Ore Groove, Opa Ogun, which are Semitic lettering. So what is your point?

4. Sorry to null your perceived opinion about ‘mental gymnastic' because, it seems, you are comfortable with Yoruba's obscure identity which makes her the most studied, ethnic group in the world! grin. Why on earth do the Europeans want to know facts about Yoruba nation? It is because evidence show that,there were a group of people known as ‘Abari', which is Hebrew in English language, that migrated from Near East, to Egypt and from Egypt through Sudan belt and vanished to the thin air.

5. Contrary to your type and others who always want to subdued Yoruba's ethnic history by these forceful African identity, which is not in Yoruba's ifaodu's account because, names identified with creation in Yoruba is Semitic, places of memory in oral transmission of Yoruba is Near East , Yoruba names are Semitic, Yoruba daily spoken language is Semitic but some people, on here will quickly use kangaroo classification,which was even faulted by Joseph Greenberg himself by forcing the Niger-Congo identity on Yoruba. In fact Yoruba oral account believed that, every mankind were birthed through with no Fossil human evidence! grin!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 5:04am On Jan 11, 2020
Obalufon:
we need anthropologist to contribute to this forum ..Africans are not the same we are so diverse.. different group evolve differently ..But white will try to merge us all up to tag us as savage ..
European or Western researchers didn't merge us together but Africa's colonialists did,which made everything disorderly. Besides, archeological finding has been the pivotal motivation behind European research work, which make them to emphasis on postulation that can make a connection between dark skin and other variant of Caucasians.The word white Race was coined around 17th century is sneaked into English language's lexicon to appeal to a light in complexion group of people with some characteristics

As far I am concerned the ethnographers vacuum you demanded, aren't lacking because many have done great job on it. In fact, a Harvard University Professor Gérard Chouin, Suzanne Blier amongst others are doing some great work but they can't actually captured the interpretation of Yoruba's sculpture work and purpose of those work. The ancient form of writing are coded in pictograph, heiroglyph cuneiform and only those experts in these writing can interpret these lettering.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by kayfra: 5:08am On Jan 11, 2020
Olu317:

1. There is nothing like pseudo(fake) knowledge on this issue because everything I posted is backed up with substantial corresponding fact

2. Lol, defence mechanism at play grin because You and your believers on Bantu connection are jokers because if English language is exposed to Hebrew language pre 1600 AD and named Yoruba's Tolotolo as Turkey, then, you need learn and not antagonise what you don't understand.

3. In indeed you posted DNA admixture on Yoruba with Eurasia many years ago,then,don't limit research work on yoruba people because,‘All Yoruba are Yoruba and all Yoruba are not Yoruba' because Yoruba conscripted many ethnic Africans through interaction. In fact, Western researchers have understudy Yoruba nation and posited that Yoruba tradition is foreign to Subsahara Africa but historians amongst Yoruba try so much to null this over towering evidence with the claim that connect Yoruba to Africa as if history of Yoruba begun in 1200 AD. And this historians can't even read the ideograms writing on Opa Oranmiyan, Ore Groove, Opa Ogun, which are Semitic lettering. So what is your point?

4. Sorry to null your perceived opinion about ‘mental gymnastic' because, it seems, you are comfortable with Yoruba's obscure identity which makes her the most studied, ethnic group in the world! grin. Why on earth do the Europeans want to know facts about Yoruba nation? It is because evidence show that,there were a group of people known as ‘Abari', which is Hebrew in English language, that migrated from Near East, to Egypt and from Egypt through Sudan belt and vanished to the thin air.

5. Contrary to your type and others who always want to subdued Yoruba's ethnic history by these forceful African identity, which is not in Yoruba's ifaodu's account because, names identified with creation in Yoruba is Semitic, places of memory in oral transmission of Yoruba is Near East , Yoruba names are Semitic, Yoruba daily spoken language is Semitic but some people, on here will quickly use kangaroo classification,which was even faulted by Joseph Greenberg himself by forcing the Niger-Congo identity on Yoruba. In fact Yoruba oral account believed that, every mankind were birthed through with no Fossil human evidence! grin!

Turkey that is native to Mexico nitori Olorun grin

Tolotolo is a new word. Even the word for Turkey, the bird, came up when Europeans came to the new world.

You see why we laugh at you guys? Lmao

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 5:49am On Jan 11, 2020
kayfra:

Tolotolo is a new word. Even the word for Turkey, the bird, came up when Europeans came to the new world.

It is in my discovery, that the reason most of your type surf the culture section is basically to learn and we shall continue to inform you,because geologist need explain factors that are involved in changes in climatic condition which cause migration. Besides, it only show you that Yoruba ancestors were not from Africa because non shared such close similar cognate Òkin and Tooke , which existed over 3000 years in Hebrews Ancient ideograms language ? Seriously , You're a clown.

Contrary to your point, Tolotolo,which the name Yoruba call Turkey existed before 1911 dictionary that is been used by Yoruba people. Are you saying over 100 years Dictionary is lying new ? grin grin You can do better. Mind you, it is not my intention to proof a selfish point through my work but to expose you to certain information that nearly all take with levity.

English :Turkey
French: dinde, dindon
German: Truthahn, Truthenne, Puter, Pute
Italian: tacchino
Portuguese: peru
Russian: индюк
Spanish: pavo,
Costa Rica: chompipe
Mexican standard usage: guajolote
Southeastern Mexico: totol
Cuba: guanajo
Colombia : pisco

Did Yoruba loaned it from Mexico ? Here is the screenshot on English's ‘Turkey'!Perhaps, the intellectuals, scientists, wise men,kings, chiefs etc did justice to Yoruba's language even names of animals according to the descriptive nature!
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 6:03am On Jan 11, 2020
kayfra:

.......‘ A Dictionary Of The Yoruba Language'. Enjoy it

1 Share

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Nobody: 6:21am On Jan 11, 2020
Olu317:
Stop being myopic. Did Yoruba stole ‘Ela' which is God in Yoruba from the ancient Hebrew ? I dont joke facts I have in my care. Get book to read.

Below is the screenshot of Another name for God

So you can't make your point without being jerk?

Ela is God in Yoruba? Really? The same Yoruba or the Yoruba you formulated for yourself?

Even if that were true, don't cultures borrow words all the time? You see that your own myopia is deeper than mine.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by absoluteSuccess: 6:39am On Jan 11, 2020
kayfra:

kayfra:

Can you use the dna results to demonstrate your "out of Africa" migration theory with fairly ancient examples as proof?

Doing that should clarify your grasp of the true knowledge and fake knowledge. Google can always help as usual.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 8:17am On Jan 11, 2020
FrLukas:

So you can't make your point without being jerk?

Ela is God in Yoruba? Really? The same Yoruba or the Yoruba you formulated for yourself?

Even if that were true, don't cultures borrow words all the time? You see that your own myopia is deeper than mine.
Jerk? I take it for a joke! Meanwhile, Culture do borrow but in this magnittude? It is impossible to share words that are strange to Africa but currently residents in West Africa. Anyway, here are the answers to your questions:

1a.Ela is the name of the creator of mankind in Yoruba's religion.
b. The wisdom of God
c. Light of God
d. The spirit being that created heaven and earth
e.The word of authority
f. Breath of life to mankind
g.The one who apportion destiny
1h.The one who everyone must worship every morning as Orisa(Ori) to give one a befitting life devoid of calamity etc

2. I didn't formulate my information because it is strange to you? Either you believe or not, it is the bitter truth. Ela (without diacritic) is the powerful creator of (Ala); light,white, purity in Yoruba lexicon,which was the word that came out of void to manifest creation in Yoruba's ifaodu.
You can verify anywhere!
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by bluke(m): 10:17am On Jan 11, 2020
the shocker of the century would be when chinese releases their version of the bible that would reflect socialism and their cultural belief.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by absoluteSuccess: 10:22am On Jan 11, 2020
Olu317:
Jerk? I take it for a joke! Meanwhile, Culture do borrow but in this magnittude? It is impossible to share words that are strange to Africa but currently residents in West Africa. Anyway, here are the answers to your questions:

b. The wisdom of God
c. Light of God
e.The word of authority
1h.The one who everyone must worship every morning as Orisa(Ori) to give one a befitting life devoid of calamity etc

2. I didn't formulate my information because it is strange to you? Either you believe or not, it is the bitter truth. Ela (without diacritic) is the powerful creator of (Ala); light,white, purity in Yoruba lexicon,which was the word that came out of void to manifest creation in Yoruba's ifaodu.
You can verify anywhere!

Oye la

Ela ro wa

Baa femo l'oju ariran.

You have a variant angle to that though, but as used in the above, it means elaro (Ela Oro wa: meaning let understanding descend down (like rainfall) from above.

This is the proof that our ancient ancestors were familiar with cyphers. Elaro required that understanding of semantics or circumstances comes from above.

Albeit by coincidence the word Ela is said to be omoloju olodumare. That instance tends to Yoruba escathology and interpretations from religion is inevitable.

Literally, the Yoruba says Ela l'oro... you can quip with the saying taa ba la, kii yeni, lodifa fun aisorola to p'elenpe akoko, to nigba wuwo j'awo lo.

The proverb borders on ambiguity of Yoruba words.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 11, 2020
Olu317:

b. The wisdom of God
c. Light of God
e.The word of authority

You can verify anywhere!

Ela. You may be right, you know. Ela l'oro. I have heard that phrase before. Oro meaning Word, Ela probably meaning Enlightenment. And God is Enlightenment.
Yoruba mysticism is something I'd like to study in and of itself and also to see how it squares up with Christian mysticism and Yoga.

Unfortunately, I lack the source for that. I don't think it is written down in books. Probably passed from mouth to mouth of initiates. Which makes a lot of sense because even TRUE CHRISTIANITY as taught by Jesus himself contained a lot of secret teachings which is still hidden from 99.9% of so-called Christians who content themselves with following the exoteric teachings while being ignorant of the esoteric teachings even when it is staring them in the face right there in the Bible.

Can you refer me to a compendium or something of sorts that spells out, even if esoterically the esoteric and mystical aspects of Yoruba religion? Thanks.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by kayfra: 11:47am On Jan 11, 2020
Olu317:
.......‘ A Dictionary Of The Yoruba Language'. Enjoy it

You simply don't get it. What you are trying to do or what you think you are doing has no concept of time.

"The turkey is a large bird in the genus Meleagris, which is native to the Americas. The genus has two extant species: the wild turkey of North America and the ocellated turkey."

So we only started having contact with the bird during slave trade. The earliest was 400 years ago. So the ToloTolo you keep yacking about is a fairly recent loan word derived from the name Turkey I suspect by Crowther is just a joke

On another hand you just don't jumble words that are not even remotely connected and use it as proof coz they sound alike in your mind. That's the story of most of your other examples. You guys should pass me the weed grin

You keep jumping logic. It's amazing grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by kayfra: 11:51am On Jan 11, 2020
absoluteSuccess:

Can you use the dna results to demonstrate your "out of Africa" migration theory with fairly ancient examples as proof?

Doing that should clarify your grasp of the true knowledge and fake knowledge. Google can always help as usual.

A few migration down south across the Sahara, before the Sahara dried out, occured over 10,000 years ago. Using combled words some of which begat life in the 19th century to prove an event thousands of years ago is asinine.

You have to look deeper and stop with the lazy associations
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by nlPoster: 4:34pm On Jan 11, 2020
Tolotolo is probably an approximation of what the bird sounds like (onomatopoeia).

Things can be named based on texture , sound, etc.

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (97) (Reply)

Post your photos of Igbo village houses here / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages / Teach Me Naija Slang Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.