Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,960 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:54 PM

Yoruba Hebrew Heritage - Culture (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage (135429 Views)

Yoruba Hebrew Heritage (End Of Discussion) / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage (Thanksgiving Thread) / Unanswered Questions On Yoruba's Hebrew Heritage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (97) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by absoluteSuccess: 10:40pm On Jan 02, 2020
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by absoluteSuccess: 10:42pm On Jan 02, 2020
kayfra:

WTF?

At the bolded

The rest is trash as per the thread

Point the readers of this thread to what to you is a substance.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by nlPoster: 11:11pm On Jan 02, 2020
Olu317:
The ‘perfection' in this sense is about the accurate meaning of names and words!

Perfection has no place in linguistic analysis (different from interacting in a language with a view to being understood by the speakers).

Context is what you consider (when you have a good understanding of the language). And various languages have varied modes of discourse. Yoruba for example, typically talks at more than one level in interactions, meaning a traditional Yoruba person conversing with you is is in more than one context- the one you think is it and other levels unknown to you.

having said all that, accurate meanings are definitely important in order to reduce ambiguity.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by absoluteSuccess: 5:33am On Jan 03, 2020
nlPoster:

Perfection has no place in linguistic analysis (different from interacting in a language with a view to being understood by the speakers).

Context is what you consider (when you have a good understanding of the language). And various languages have varied modes of discourse. Yoruba for example, typically talks at more than one level in interactions, meaning a traditional Yoruba person conversing with you is is in more than one context- the one you think is it and other levels unknown to you.

having said all that, accurate meanings are definitely important in order to reduce ambiguity.

Very insightful.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 7:25am On Jan 03, 2020
absoluteSuccess:

Why dear brother?
Pardon me, I modified my post. But there are some nitwits here who don't know and not willing to know because, they are stack educated illiterates.These people come online and posts trash,based on English knowledge. These set of people, don't even know,that English Language anglicised Yoruba lexicons,which is known in the Semitic world as Habari(Hebrew- in English). If there is a way this thread can be within closed members, I will appreciate.

Happy New Year
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 7:30am On Jan 03, 2020
nlPoster:

Go back and read Mr! There is no where I mentioned , ‘Perfection' as the basis.I wonder how you leaped over and chose to concentrate on wrong word view! ‘Near perfection' was what I posted!; Is that too hard to comprehend? Near perfection simply means; ‘almost as the same/accurate'

Yoruba language is patterned after French lettering with her diacritics! So, what is your point on linguistic; protolanguage cum cognate ? I just wonder
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by absoluteSuccess: 1:13pm On Jan 03, 2020
Olu317:
Pardon me, I modified my post. But there are some nitwits here who don't know and not willing to know because, they are stack educated illiterates.These people come online and posts trash,based on English knowledge. These set of people, don't even know,that English Language anglicised Yoruba lexicons,which is known in the Semitic world as Habari(Hebrew- in English). If there is a way this thread can be within closed members, I will appreciate.

Happy New Year

LOL,

I think we need all participants. It's just very simple, if an ardent opposer is not there to check out your claims, you will make unpardonable blunders that you won't be around to correct in the future.

We always needed to be very sure, then I will also encourage us to see the exercise as gradual process at something profound. Great minds will still come along this thread brother. Care less about the nitwits.

The nitty gritty

I am of the opinion that the Yoruba history will be rediscovered in this fashion, from the process that unlock the codes ingrained in Yoruba history and preserved in Yoruba language.

Let's say that's what all this hullabaloo is all about. How do we make the best of it? Is it macof approach?

Methodology:

I think I spoke about my research methodology at page 3 and our brother got hooked to that. Can there be a methodology without any examples of how it works from someone's experience?

Fibonacci sequence comes to mind. The proponent of the sequence observed nature's wonders around him and worked out a mathematical model for it, known as the golden ratio.

Fibonacci wasn't "confessing" his profession, he was professing his confession. Claiming a methodology exists somewhere without trying it out here shows someone is clever by half. It should come with example.

Books and peer reviewed journals:

Claims that Yoruba history should be chiselled out in peer reviewed journals came from olaochi, and then obalufoniii claimed that he writes columns in "peer reviewed journals".

The last I've read about the grand journals is from the last pages of this thread. "Odu" happens to be a peer reviewed journal of the days of yore at the "University of Ife" the ghost has resurfaced here.

What is the latest peer reviewed journals on campus with unquestionably accurate account of Yoruba history? What have you read that is worth sharing other than perpetual witch-hunting on nairaland?

Na lie, the Yoruba history is in the hands of people who could harness her tradition and fathom it's oral records, not in a proverbial books or journal that never exist.

A reader in history will share profound ideas from the recent works in his coffer, a professional historian will cite great authority to illuminate his claim, a quack will call the name of an author only.

Citing foreign authors on topics of foreign history such as Assyriology is not profound, it's cheaper than whatever. But that should have been the case for the Yoruba works and journals.

Will a professional historian get stuck to such blunders? Well don't be deceived, we are all professors here. A historian that claims history is not in the telling should have an academic designation for "telling".

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 5:10pm On Jan 03, 2020
absoluteSuccess:

LOL,

I think we need all participants. It's just very simple, if an ardent opposer is not there to check out your claims, you will make unpardonable blunders that you won't be around to correct in the future.

We always needed to be very sure, then I will also encourage us to see the exercise as gradual process at something profound. Great minds will still come along this thread brother. Care less about the nitwits.

The nitty gritty

I am of the opinion that the Yoruba history will be rediscovered in this fashion, from the process that unlock the codes ingrained in Yoruba history and preserved in Yoruba language.

Let's say that's what all this hullabaloo is all about. How do we make the best of it? Is it macof approach?

Methodology:

I think I spoke about my research methodology at page 3 and our brother got hooked to that. Can there be a methodology without any examples of how it works from someone's experience?

Fibonacci sequence comes to mind. The proponent of the sequence observed nature's wonders around him and worked out a mathematical model for it, known as the golden ratio.

Fibonacci wasn't "confessing" his profession, he was professing his confession. Claiming a methodology exists somewhere without trying it out here shows someone is clever by half. It should come with example.

Books and peer reviewed journals:

Claims that Yoruba history should be chiselled out in peer reviewed journals came from olaochi, and then obalufoniii claimed that he writes columns in "peer reviewed journals".

The last I've read about the grand journals is from the last pages of this thread. "Odu" happens to be a peer reviewed journal of the days of yore at the "University of Ife" the ghost has resurfaced here.

What is the latest peer reviewed journals on campus with unquestionably accurate account of Yoruba history? What have you read that is worth sharing other than perpetual witch-hunting on nairaland?

Na lie, the Yoruba history is in the hands of people who could harness her tradition and fathom it's oral records, not in a proverbial books or journal that never exist.

A reader in history will share profound ideas from the recent works in his coffer, a professional historian will cite great authority to illuminate his claim, a quack will call the name of an author only.

Citing foreign authors on topics of foreign history such as Assyriology is not profound, it's cheaper than whatever. But that should have been the case for the Yoruba works and journals.

Will a professional historian get stuck to such blunders? Well don't be deceived, we are all professors here. A historian that claims history is not in the telling should have an academic designation for "telling".
Without criticism ,the beauty of this thread won't be achieve,which I quite understood clearly your view but unnecessary vulgar word being peddled need be stopped.This is my stance.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by nlPoster: 5:50pm On Jan 03, 2020
I'll go through the thread at some point but whoever prefers not to see certain people there could open a new thread and specify who they want to post. Nigerians typically get very close minded at some point in their life journey, they dont want to interact with other people, it stresses them (or vice versa).

I dont know why using the report button is a problem.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by macof(m): 10:07pm On Jan 03, 2020
kayfra:
This shameful thread of Jewish historical appropriation is still ongoing! What's the substitution count of judeo Christian characters hijacked by the posters or how much linguistic gymnastics has been derived?

Lolz
grin this is actually hilarious
Just wait for more nonsensical claims that have no basis at all outside the imagination of the particular person making it.. Not even amongst themselves can they agree
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 5:05am On Jan 04, 2020
absoluteSuccess:

Point us to one great thread full of accolades in your name.

It beats the imaginations that western education got you so blind, making you another "happy distance slave" whose appropriation of English language is bought as "education".

Unknown to you, your education is another form of slavery to foreign "organised history" at the expense of your innate gift for a degree guaranteeing a meal for your trouble each month till you fizzle out of use.

Tell us your contributions to education. What subject have you coined?? That's what you lack as typified in your posts here. You have no innate quest and respects no quests. Hence a toxin to others in their personal quest.

By now, you should be proud writing in your traditional Yoruba alphabet, on a platform invented by your gods as a man from the "all sufficient race" who is proud to have taken nothing from any other race of man from creation.

Oh My God!!! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 5:21am On Jan 04, 2020
Yoruba civilization goes back centuries before colonization, from which point our modern literature and latin script took off. Accounts of exist of when Oba Eshinlokun sent Oshodi to Portugal to learn commerce and clerical duties for record keeping. Prior to contact with Portuguese Yoruba had a civilized value system. Did we have scholarship going back to that time and age? Are there records of literatures....not necessarily in English or any European script...but in any other known writing or symbolism or expression?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 1:05pm On Jan 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:
Yoruba civilization goes back centuries before colonization, from which point our modern literature and latin script took off. Accounts of exist of when Oba Eshinlokun sent Oshodi to Portugal to learn commerce and clerical duties for record keeping. Prior to contact with Portuguese Yoruba had a civilized value system. Did we have scholarship going back to that time and age? Are there records of literatures....not necessarily in English or any European script...but in any other known writing or symbolism or expression?
please ask the critics who are perpetual ignorant to furnish us with facts and not wailing grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by nlPoster: 3:34pm On Jan 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:
Are there records of literatures....not necessarily in English or any European script...but in any other known writing or symbolism or expression?

Do you know of any?

Subsaharan African history is verbal oratory.

Writing system has always been an outside influence because we dont believe it should be ephemeral.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 4:31pm On Jan 04, 2020
nlPoster:

Do you know of any?

Writing system has always been an outside influence because we dont believe it should be ephemeral.
nlPoster:

Do you know of any?

If an antelope, a bull, a lion and a seat etched on the wall of a cave in 1400....can be interpreted by "scholars" today to suggest a writing left by a past civilization and interpreted to mean the Throne of Kings......imagine what messages could be contained in the carvings and art works of animals left in Yoruba antiquity.

Do we have "scholars" that can interprete them?
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by nlPoster: 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2020
There are many forms of writing, the Yoruba ones are still interpreted today but are mostly war related I should think.

I could be wrong of course.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 5:42pm On Jan 04, 2020
nlPoster:
There are many forms of writing, the Yoruba ones are still interpreted today but are mostly war related I should think.

I could be wrong of course.

There has been many mentions of Yoruba records written by scribes using Ajami scripts. I know Prof Amadu Sanni is working on a project with Timbouctou Archives to retrieve/restore the ones he has so far located. Many cannot be found.

Adire and many other indigeneous textiles also comprised of visual arts and information to decrypt messages...so is body tattoo. For instance, when a lady tattoos lizard on arm, what does it mean? How about geometric shapes and dots, what do they mean?

A triangle sitting alone may signify one message...but when combined with circle it may mean another. If the triangle is circumscribed by the circle thats a different message from a circle inscribed in the triangle.

All these things are significant.

Yoruba arts contain many geometric and space attributes. I am yet to see any work of scholarship carried out on this subject.

I have come across research work done by a white man named Smith. I have to get his name and website and post later. This man studied Ifa and he was able to equate certain to Odu to mathematical theorems and quantum physics. He even reproduced dynamic spatial vectors produced by certain stanza in Ifa. He believes Ifa teaches on static and dynamic properties.

Static and dynamic energy are the two properties used in eletromagnetic force - emf - to generate power or thrust or mechanical motion.

Can you imagine? What are Yoruba scholars doing?

But when we open threads like this to highlight past deeds of ancestors, instead of them to look introspectively for hidden benefits to highlight advancements...they will rather spike it with negativity and condemnation.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by nlPoster: 5:44pm On Jan 04, 2020
I have a book on Yoruba traditional writing which I havent read yet.

I believe the women are the ones in charge of this, at least for a particular sect.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 7:23pm On Jan 04, 2020
Here is Prof. Sophie Oluwole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zsq3FSMof8

Here is Tony Smith in a lecture series.
If you scroll down in that page you will see links of other works on the subject of Clifford Algebra, which is higher dimension mathematical theorem and a hook into quantum theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foYIHXkHH5w

Here is website of collections from Tony Smith if you want to delve into his pictograms and stuffs where he outlines the dna structure and dynamism of the universe energy and its explanations using Ifa and Clifford algebra.

http://www.tony5m17h.net/VodouFA.html
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 7:29pm On Jan 04, 2020
nlPoster:
I have a book on Yoruba traditional writing which I havent read yet.

I believe the women are the ones in charge of this , at least for a particular sect.

IYAMI.

The root word is Y-M, a powerful esoteric realm.

iYaMi
YeMoja
YaMo
marYaM
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by nlPoster: 7:44pm On Jan 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:

IYAMI.

The root word is Y-M, a powerful esoteric realm.

iYaMi
YeMoja
YaMo
marYaM

Not iya, just some forms of Yoruba writing are the exclusive preserve of the women.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 7:47pm On Jan 04, 2020
nlPoster:

Not iya, just some forms of Yoruba writing are the exclusive preserve of the women.

When you say writing please expand and clarify.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by nlPoster: 7:56pm On Jan 04, 2020
I have to look for that book again, it gave some detail although I haven't read it.

Yoruba writing is linked to art.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 8:19pm On Jan 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:

If an antelope, a bull, a lion and a seat etched on the wall of a cave in 1400....can be interpreted by "scholars" today to suggest a writing left by a past civilization and interpreted to mean the Throne of Kings......imagine what messages could be contained in the carvings and art works of animals left in Yoruba antiquity.

Do we have "scholars" that can interprete them?
I can interpret it Sir. Show me the arrangement of the precept the arrangement follows.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 8:22pm On Jan 04, 2020
nlPoster:
I have to look for that book again, it gave some detail although I haven't read it.

Yoruba writing is linked to art.
No Sir,because, Yoruba writing is linked to religion, kingly establishment, terrestial power,authority and domineering over land. The Art you see in Yoruba land are for purposes.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by nlPoster: 8:28pm On Jan 04, 2020
Olu317:
No Sir,because, Yoruba writing is linked to religion, kingly establishment, terrestial power,authority and domineering over land. The Art you see in Yoruba land are for purposes.

That is correct.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 8:45pm On Jan 04, 2020
Olu317:
I can interpret it Sir. Show me the arrangement of the precept the arrangement follows.

I dont have any personally to share but Im just saying where the collections exist the artworks should be viewed as a form of ancient writing and their interpretation should be indexed for understanding of new knowledge.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 10:30pm On Jan 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:

I dont have any personally to share but Im just saying where the collections exist the artworks should be viewed as a form of ancient writing and their interpretation should be indexed for understanding of new knowledge.
Ok bro. Just for information, I know the meaning of the Ivory of Opa oranmiyan. Kindly check the Bible and check why

1.Ora/ra is attached to their names with cognates

2. Ner(fire) is attached to their names

3.Ab(i) is attached to their names

4. Ore is the name of sun in this ancient biblical language

Let me stop here!
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by nlPoster: 10:45pm On Jan 04, 2020
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by MetaPhysical: 11:25pm On Jan 04, 2020
Olu317:
Ok bro. Just for information, I know the meaning of the Ivory of Opa oranmiyan. Kindly check the Bible and check why

1.Ora/ra is attached to their names with cognates

2. Ner(fire) is attached to their names

3.Ab(i) is attached to their names

4. Ore is the name of sun in this ancient biblical language

Let me stop here!

Whats written on it?
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Olu317(m): 5:33am On Jan 05, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Whats written on it?
Let me give you a clue:

1. The Ivory(opa Oranmiya) represent a horn turned downward ; this is one of the significance of Yoruba's writing,which represent conquest grin

2. The pitchfork on the body signify something the ancient Yorubas cherish so much!.

3. If one turns the Ivory upward; a meaning is attached to Yoruba's mysticism word of seal

4. When a king hold the Turned Ivory-horn upward in his hand;it has an attached meaning to it.

Let me stop here.
Re: Yoruba Hebrew Heritage by Obalufon: 10:45am On Jan 05, 2020
nlPoster:

Do you know of any?

Subsaharan rubbish you read in the books has beclouded your brain .you are dancing to the string of your puppeteer the white race ..we were keeping written records before the Europeans okay .. do more research. phonetic writing/sound system started from Sudan

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (97) (Reply)

Do You Consider Somalis As Black? / Post your photos of Igbo village houses here / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.