Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,958 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) (38457 Views)

I'm 30 And Still Living With My Parents..smh / Genotype: I'm The Only One Still Living In This Picture - Man / Age 25 With 1 Million Naira & Living With My Parents: Buy Land Or Pack Out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by newoffer: 12:48pm On Aug 01, 2018
emelda86:
On a more serious note to live alone is good but your reasons are somehow because of woman naim make u wan move its a good initiative but...

E get time wey e go reach u go dey crave for mama thank ma....

I think u are thinking with d size of ur dick . 26yrs. at least use next 2yrs fix ursef up. I pity d poverty u are trying to invent. spirit of stagnancy na him u dey invite.

U need to fill ur mind with lots of programme

3 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Buffalowings3(m): 12:48pm On Aug 01, 2018
vingeophysicist:
get out from here.Your own situation is different nah. Men will definitely assist u.Are u not a lady?

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by VanBommel(m): 12:49pm On Aug 01, 2018
Wilfredpat22:
Sir I am a woman and when I moved out of my parents home I was working in Mr Biggs as a attendant that serves meals

I was earning 25k and staying alone and slept on the floor. I was saving small small. I ate once a day to maintain my figure and I also sent some money to my grandma in the village

You are a man and can do better than me sir if you are determined
I never knew we have sane beautiful ladies like this, my sister may God continue to bless you everyday for this comment.

4 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by VanBommel(m): 12:50pm On Aug 01, 2018
czarina:
Op if you can cough up the rent, please move out. If you move out, you'll be much more challenged to seek better pastures. Granted, things will not always be rosy but you'll have your life in your hands.

While having ladies as friends is normal and expected, you don't need any baggage from any of them....DO NOT hang around leeches. You can't afford that "luxury" right now.
another blessed lady here

1 Like

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 01, 2018
Ishilove:

Wow..that was just a few years after I was born...In order words, you are old enough to be my father.

Twaile

I have started getting that. I was at a chicken Republic and the server was calling me daddy angry. I need to lose weight fast

1 Like

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 01, 2018
courage2702:
Leaving ones parents to settle down is good because it makes you responsible for your actions and decisions. But ask yourself the true motive why you want to leave. If is basically to get your privacy so as to keep late nites with your pals and female friends, you are going to get tired no doubt. Just think twice before you walk out.
Its in the Bible... Even Abraham had to leave his parents house to be blessed by God. He's old enough to be independent

1 Like

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Shampoo77: 12:53pm On Aug 01, 2018
Do you want to live with your parent until you are 45years old? Go ahead and start a life for yourself God will see you through.
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Evangkatsoulis: 12:56pm On Aug 01, 2018
moststylish:
am wondering where your location is currently to be contemplating 70-80k rent for a room self con. Here in warri if you don't have 180k plus agent fees don't bother and even bed sitter goes for 120k, so you can imagine the trauma of an unemployed graduate here.

Lol. This is not true na.
Rent is just N2500 per month in Ebrumede, Effurun.

1 Like

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by obailala(m): 12:56pm On Aug 01, 2018
yesloaded:

I understand what freedom means but his own definition of freedom is completely out of it.
justtoodark:

carrying girls upandan is a bad idea...choose wan you like most and marry her immediatly....
young marriage is the best.....
Truth be told, when a man says he wants freedom from the overbearing eyes of his parents, the reason the Op gave is usually the driving factor over 90% of the time. How can a man who is 26 years old, done with education and NYSC, has already stepped into the age when he should be thinking of marriage, but yet cannot receive female visitors or at least hangout with his friends in peace without being bombarded with calls from 'mummy' asking him to come home?...

Freedom, peace and privacy are basic needs of man and when a man attains a certain age, he should be permitted to desire these things without being judged hypocritically. It doesn't necessarily make a man irresponsible if he seeks these things at his current age, for crying out loud, he's never lived alone in his life and you expect such an immature person to jump straight from this current phase into marriage? Disaster awaits!

For those concluding he wants to go and carry girls upandan (@justtoodark), the fact is that a man needs some level of freedom and privacy to be able to peacefully meet, date, get to know, engage and marry a woman; all this cannot happen seamlessly when he's under his father's roof and inside his mother's pot. At 26 and already working, it is an anomaly for him to still live under his father's roof, and it is even a bigger anomaly for anyone to think there's anything wrong in him desiring some space to 'be a man.'

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by jay7(m): 12:57pm On Aug 01, 2018
@ OP people has really advise you on what to do, I believe you will choose the best advice and work on it. My take is this living on your own is good but the first principle is cutting your coat according to the available material, I served 2016 batch B and I told myself that I will not return to my father's house as a tenant but as a visitor, Though my dad is late now and may his soul rest in perfect peace. I left Katsina state immediately after POP for Ibadan and I must say things were rough at first, mind you I am from Kogi State and I stay with my friend for just 2 weeks while looking for my own apartment, I rented a single room even when I have Upto 80,000 to rent a self contain, I did this just to start from the scratch and again I have to sleep on the carpet for a month even when I have the money to buy a mattress but I choose to save the money for feeding and other things, presently I am living an average life and I must say God has been faithful and to those saying 30,000 is small, I pray your story don't change for the worse, 70% of people around me earn less than that and they are managing their life, if you based your life on what you read on social media you will think you are leaving a miserable life but 85% of people telling you 30,000 is smaller are praying silently to earn upto that. Just stay focused, set a target for yourself, be contend with what you have and most importantly learn to help others from the little you earn and I can assure you that with dedication and hardwork you will look back and smile.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Nobody: 12:58pm On Aug 01, 2018
Nigerian parents are the one spoiling their children.
Else why is he not paying rent to them?
That's why at 30 majority are still wearing diapers.

And they marry with this mentality expecting their wives to bath them too.
When u complain they will tell you it's the African tradition.

1 Like

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by ebby9z(m): 12:59pm On Aug 01, 2018
In 26 too...and I got my place less than two months after getting a job(Although I had to borrow money)
If you warning 30k and you don't go out at all, you don't spend money on transport fare, it's doable.
Then it depends on the city you're staying. If it's Lagos. Kill the thought!
Moreover, which money do you intend using to rent an apartment? If you have that somewhere,no problem.
But let me warn you, it's not easy o...from bulbs to buying gas to filing the gas to buying foodstuffs... you'll get frustrated but it will make you very mature and responsible.
In fact all those girls you think you'll be having over, you won't be so eager to do that.
All in all, as a man freedom is important, so go for it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by yesloaded: 12:59pm On Aug 01, 2018
obailala:
Truth be told, when a man says he wants freedom from the overbearing eyes of his parents, the reason the Op gave is usually the driving factor over 90% of the time. How can a man who is 26 years old, done with education and NYSC, has already stepped into the age when he should be thinking of marriage, but yet cannot receive female visitors or at least hangout with his friends in peace without being bombarded with calls from 'mummy' asking him to come home?...

Freedom, peace and privacy are basic needs of man and when a man attains a certain age, he should be permitted to desire these things without being judged hypocritically. It doesn't necessarily make a man irresponsible if he seeks these things at his current age, for crying out loud, he's never lived alone in his life.

For those concluding he wants to go and carry girls upandan (@justtoodark), the fact is that a man needs some level of freedom and privacy to be able to peacefully meet, date, get to know, engage and marry a woman; all this cannot happen seamlessly when he's under his father's roof and inside his mother's pot. At 26 and already working, it is an anomaly for him to still live under his father's roof, and it is even a bigger anomaly for anyone to think there's anything wrong in him desiring some space to 'be a man.'
I hear you sir
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by ThaThinka: 1:00pm On Aug 01, 2018
pocohantas:

Heya! You write well and you're polite too. You must be an intelligent young man, though I like old men sha grin.

Well, I won't say I don't understand your point, but I think you should give it a lil more time and planning. Zicoraads has said it all, one step at a time.

How old? No money? I wan apply.
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by pawesome(m): 1:00pm On Aug 01, 2018
Lwkm...... You de fear hence you were enjoying the free food and everything....

Get out of there cuz there are people that earn less than 30k and staying on there own
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by joey150(m): 1:01pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:

Finally, someone who has been in a similar situation, few days ago, I was on a sweet lovely date with one Chica bonita, Before I could say Jack, calls had started flowing in... SMH.

Talking about properties, first of all, My target is a room self-con, can't afford two rooms, and one room face me I face you is a total turnoff for me.

I already Have a mattress, I envisage it's mostly electronics and fridge that I will have to save for.

With Side hustles like playing musical instruments and writing yielding about 40k monthly, I Still plan to apply for a regular job.

And if there's vacancy for the company I write for, I'll sure notify you

You're a very good writer?
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by moststylish(m): 1:03pm On Aug 01, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

Lol. This is not true na.
Rent is just N2500 per month in Ebrumede, Effurun.
bro where in Ebrumede, If you can give me the location of the place I will pay instantly
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by blessedvisky(m): 1:07pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:

Finally, someone who has been in a similar situation, few days ago, I was on a sweet lovely date with one Chica bonita, Before I could say Jack, calls had started flowing in... SMH.

Talking about properties, first of all, My target is a room self-con, can't afford two rooms, and one room face me I face you is a total turnoff for me.

I already Have a mattress, I envisage it's mostly electronics and fridge that I will have to save for.

With Side hustles like playing musical instruments and writing yielding about 40k monthly, I Still plan to apply for a regular job.

And if there's vacancy for the company I write for, I'll sure notify you

Notify me too o. I can't comment on your thread for nothing kwa
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by chukzyfcbb: 1:08pm On Aug 01, 2018
There is nothing wrong with moving out of your parents house at 20's, however u need to set your priorities right.

If you want to move out of your parents house. so you can FU,CK chicks and drink booze at will, them you will live in reckless life staying alone.

Try now to assess your priorities, you are just making 30k, try to make more overtime if it means getting new skills before moving out.

Nobody applauds a guy if he moves out early or not, in the end the koko will still fall on How much a guy makes and how much he has gained in assets.

2 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Yian1(m): 1:08pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:
Greetings family-landers, I'm having this issue which has been bordering me, I finished service last year, recently got an online side hustle which gives me 30k per month.

And at 26,I'm no longer comfortable staying at home with my parents, I can't hang out late with my friends without my parents drowning my phone with calls, as early as 8.pm at night the calls will start flowing as if I'm a customer care agent. (really frustrating)

Almost all my guys are living on their own, and to make matters worse, I can't receive any female visitor cos of my religious parents and lack of privacy.

On the flip side, I'm scared if a 30k monthly salary can be enough for a guy who wants to rent and probably furnish a self-con of 70-80k per year. (I'm not the extravagant type)

I've never lived alone so I'm really confused if I should make this move at this point in my life.

Guys who are living on their own, what's your take on this?

#30,000 is not enough to enjoy life. If you can do Network Marketing, you can achieve your dreams, if you have any. It only requires diligence, determination, commitment and patience.

To know more, contact me on WhatsApp on this number: 08164269252

1 Like

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Mikeross62: 1:09pm On Aug 01, 2018
move out fast as your leg can carry here

get your RMB/YUAN for as low as #53
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by MPESA(m): 1:09pm On Aug 01, 2018
Wilfredpat22:
Sir I am a woman and when I moved out of my parents home I was working in Mr Biggs as a attendant that serves meals

I was earning 25k and staying alone and slept on the floor. I was saving small small. I ate once a day to maintain my figure and I also sent some money to my grandma in the village

You are a man and can do better than me sir if you are determined
Astounding and Impressive.
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Acidosis(m): 1:10pm On Aug 01, 2018
It is better to live with your parents at 26 and have more savings than live alone in hardship.

Staying alone in hardship doesn't mean you're independent; there is no independence for a poor man even if he lives alone. Better learn from Nigeria's history.

You're 26, in your prime and about to expire for most entry level opportunities. Stay where you are, and stay focused! Your employer will not come and examine your house or the size of your TV. What they need is your address (location) on your CV, meaning you can be in Ekiti and apply for Lagos based job using a Lagos address (of a relative). This is the trick, not the size of your bed in your sef con apartment.

6 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Felixv: 1:11pm On Aug 01, 2018
I can understand where the OP is coming from - I left home early, but luckily I left the country as well.

But as most of your young mates have said clearly 30k wouldn’t get you anything ,so apart from saving ( which I think is near impossible) , try to ask relatives for help - there is no shame in that.

As a parent it is only natural to be protective of our children - the climate is rough now, so staying out late while living under your parents roof could cause them much stress.

When it comes to girls, you should make sure that only your steady girlfriend comes to your parents house ,and that she shows them respect so they can accept her - taking different girls to your parents house is an absolute show of disrespect.

4 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Bizibi(m): 1:12pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:
Greetings family-landers, I'm having this issue which has been bordering me, I finished service last year, recently got an online side hustle which gives me 30k per month.

And at 26,I'm no longer comfortable staying at home with my parents, I can't hang out late with my friends without my parents drowning my phone with calls, as early as 8.pm at night the calls will start flowing as if I'm a customer care agent. (really frustrating)

Almost all my guys are living on their own, and to make matters worse, I can't receive any female visitor cos of my religious parents and lack of privacy.

On the flip side, I'm scared if a 30k monthly salary can be enough for a guy who wants to rent and probably furnish a self-con of 70-80k per year. (I'm not the extravagant type)

I've never lived alone so I'm really confused if I should make this move at this point in my life.

just be focused and remove anything related to making girlfriends,you can keep cordial relationships but not the one that brings responsibilities. I don't see anything wrong in staying in parents house and hustling but since you really want to move out on your own then you need to plan well before you move because the present state of the economy is not good at all.

1 Like

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by HomeOfMe(f): 1:12pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:

For a 26 year old,you're old enough to live alone and even start a family. But until you're able to have a good steady source of income,I'd advice you to give yourself one more year,save some money while staying under your parent's roof. Speaking of which,what's the side hussle?
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by HomeOfMe(f): 1:13pm On Aug 01, 2018
LeoFish92:

For a 26 year old,you're old enough to live alone and even start a family. But until you're able to have a good steady source of income,I'd advice you to give yourself one more year,save some money while staying under your parent's roof. Speaking of which,what's the side hussle if I may ask?
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by 1stNumeroUno: 1:18pm On Aug 01, 2018
Op... your matter dey make me laugh.

You're at a stage of your life when 'freedom' looks indispensable. The only complaint you have (on your post) is that your parent bug you when it's getting late/dark. From my end I see that as a way of showing concern for your security. And that can't be over emphasised especially considering the present security state of our country.

As much as you crave to stay alone, try to look at how far your present income can care for your monthly expenses. So, I think adding rent, utility bills, groceries etc to the list will clear your mind. In short, you wont be able save a dime and probably you'll have to go into debt to survive.

But If you won't mind my small boy suggestions, do can set yourself free by:
1. Confirm your personality - Ask yourself, Am I really a night crawler?
It's possible you are pissed just because your parent disturb your phone when it's late. On a good day do you stay out that late on your own?

2. Do notify your parent about your movement - Most guys want to be left on their own, when you're still under the care of the parent. I've been in your shoes before, but when I device this idea, I got my break. If it's occasional, notify them ahead. But if it's sudden notify them asap. When its 6pm call them you're staying late and mentioned with whom, location and if necessary purpose. It makes them relax and confident you're safe.

3. Let them know your cliq/friends - Since you're 'clean', let your friends meet and know your parent. This also rest their mind.

My brother, you still have a lot to do/learn and it's better you use that small income to equip yourself than going for stay-alone accommodation.

Bless...

8 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by bodee(m): 1:19pm On Aug 01, 2018
barongmj:
As a man and at 26, you should be able to live alone and take decisions on your own but if those excuses you gave are at the top of the chain, it might be a move you will regret.
So just chill a lil bit "grow up" more, learn more and when you have the right mindset and your priorities are well in place, then move
beautiful advice, beautiful woman!
Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by justmi1: 1:20pm On Aug 01, 2018
It depends on a lot of factors.
2 years ago I was your age, I stayed with my aunty in Abuja. I remember coming here also for advice. I had just finished my service and got a job of 55k.
It wasn't easy but I had to move on. It was difficult to save cos I get free stuff and my aunt would talk to me like a child.
I had to man up. I rented a self con and bought a mattress and that was all I had with 10k in my account, fast forward till date, I Don buy TV, AC, gen, and other things I need as a young man, and have some savings too and still hustling, thinking better, doing my post graduate program.
If your motive of staying alone is to leave your comfort zone and become a man of your own, it's a good one, if for any reason you have to go back to your parents for help, its not bad, your parents are always your parents.
But if your desire is to be free to stay out late and have multiple sexual partners, my brother you go run down.
If I were you, I would use the 30k to improve my self, learn skills, save and start a small business.

6 Likes

Re: 26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) by Olumeme: 1:20pm On Aug 01, 2018
I stopped depending on my parents when I got to 200L back then in school.
I just wanted to be on my own and grow, I didn't even have up to that, was virtually living from hand to mouth, and that's the best decision I have ever taken.

The sufferness helped me grow financially

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man Died Of Heart Attack After His Wife Confessed To Him That She Cheated / The Biological Mother of President Goodluck Jonathan's Children / One-year-old Baby Bites Snake To Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.