Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,199 members, 7,835,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans (26834 Views)

Read What Milton Friedman Said About The Nigerian Govt. / Milton Friedman Debates Naomi Klein / Was Colonialism Good For Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by ezeagu(m): 11:36pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

The point Im making is, collectively as a group, Africans constitute the least intelligent people on the globe. In contrast, Africans are some of the best athletes in the world. There are obviously going to be exceptions to the rule (putting a Nigerian student in a class with Japs and Brits) but this does not in anyway negate the fact that we are naturally disorganized which in my opinion is a component of lack of intelligence. We also lack other components of intelligence such as foresight.

Nigeria started at the same level with Asian countries, as far as economic indicators but because they're more intelligent, they have grown to supersede. Look, the examples of Africas lack of brain power is evident, you see it daily. So why deny it?

Nigeria did not start at the same level as Asian countries, they started like Yugoslavia, where is Yugoslavia today? Most Asian countries were not colonised, and if the were, like Korea, it was from a culture that is similar to them, you cannot tell me after slavery, colonisation and then manipulation, that Nigeria started at the same level, take your one sided reasoning to dedicated websites (there are many).
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by Katsumoto: 11:39pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

Why is it so hard for Africans to accept that they simple arent as intelligent as other races? You have continuously proven that to be the case both in what you're able to do, build and produce and also IQ tests clearly suggest that the sub saharan African is the least intelligent being on earth.
I say accept the bitter truth and begin looking for ways to make yourself more intelligent and hence more competitive rather that being emotional and defensive!

You are so wrong about this. We know for a fact that Africans are just as intelligent and equally as dumb as other races. The only conclusion I can come to with regards to lagging behind over the years is down to environment. Let me ask you a question, ' why is it that while the Europeans were still colonising parts of Africa, liberated slaves and other African sons who had early contact Europeans were already getting degrees in European and American universities? These were individuals who only 20 years previously were walking around naked in the African sun.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by ezeagu(m): 11:43pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

Sure, you can teach an African something and he'll be good at it, you can train an animal in something and it'll be good at it but the question is, was the african able to teach himself? thats the question, coming up with your own stuff that reeks of intellectual ability like inventing a car for example. SO far, on this whole thread, people have been able to come up with bronze casting as peak african invention and they have latched to the glory of egypt. Now bring you bronze cast anyday and share a display table of inventions with a European, I'd assume you'd come out thoroughly embarrassed.

One of the main advantages of being human is a high level of reasoning, you don't display that, so who is the animal? Don't worry what the African is teaching and not teaching themselves, worry about lowering the suicide rates in 'genius' countries, and also getting them happy and contented.

Africa can claim and hang on to Egypt all they like, it IS them, no one else created it but African's, anybody who doesn't like it should strictly read Western books from the 18th century and back. . . . . . (until the 14th century, or else you will be even more depressed. STAY AWAY FROM ANCIENT GREEK LITERATURE! grin). Bring on the inventions, come and embarrass, don't threaten.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 11:55pm On Aug 15, 2010
Katsumoto:

You are so wrong about this. We know for a fact that Africans are just as intelligent and equally as dumb as other races. The only conclusion I can come to with regards to lagging behind over the years is down to environment. Let me ask you a question, ' why is it that while the Europeans were still colonising parts of Africa, liberated slaves and other African sons who had early contact Europeans were already getting degrees in European and American universities? These were individuals who only 20 years previously were walking around unclothed in the African sun.

I agree

environment was probably the biggest factor. Even Europeans used to be like savages before
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 11:55pm On Aug 15, 2010
ezeagu:

Nigeria did not start at the same level as Asian countries, they started like Yugoslavia, where is Yugoslavia today? Most Asian countries were not colonised, and if the were, like Korea, it was from a culture that is similar to them, you cannot tell me after slavery, colonisation and then manipulation, that Nigeria started at the same level, take your one sided reasoning to dedicated websites (there are many).

Nigeria started with malaysia and singapore, where is malaysia today or even indonesia? how about countries like thailand? where were they in 1960, they were at the same level as most African countries in terms of socio-political and economic development, where are they today
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 11:57pm On Aug 15, 2010
sage:

I agree

environment was probably the biggest factor. Even Europeans used to be like savages before

So what you're actually saying is environment is what makes africans less intelligent not some sort of natural inclination to being dumb right?
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by bgees(m): 11:58pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

The point Im making is, collectively as a group, Africans constitute the least intelligent people on the globe. In contrast, Africans are some of the best athletes in the world. There are obviously going to be exceptions to the rule (putting a Nigerian student in a class with Japs and Brits) but this does not in anyway negate the fact that we are naturally disorganized which in my opinion is a component of lack of intelligence. We also lack other components of intelligence such as foresight.

Nigeria started at the same level with Asian countries, as far as economic indicators but because they're more intelligent, they have grown to supersede. Look, the examples of Africas lack of brain power is evident, you see it daily. So why deny it?

Having a sense of organization and intelligence are two different things. I agree we lack the first as seen in the Africa's development today.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 12:00am On Aug 16, 2010
gadogado is not just articulating his point the way you guys want. he's been very blunt with it.

the issue is not about being taught in a class consisting brits and asians, it is about teaching and understanding it yourself.
don't forget, even countries like bulgaria, poland teach and understand medicine using their own languages.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by ezeagu(m): 12:01am On Aug 16, 2010
gadogado:

Nigeria started with malaysia and singapore, where is malaysia today or even indonesia? how about countries like thailand? where were they in 1960, they were at the same level as most African countries in terms of socio-political and economic development, where are they today

So your answer to all this is intelligence? So what "European mixture" do the people of Equatorial Guinea, whose economy has a much higher income than Indonesia and Malaysia, have?
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by arambada(m): 12:02am On Aug 16, 2010
The collapsed of the first republic, where there were real politics of ideology is still the problem with our nation till date, where we now have politics of "moneyology".
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 12:04am On Aug 16, 2010
black africans can match 99.9999% of europeans when it comes to inteligence. or academic excellence.
but, they have that 0.000% among them who are geniuses and capable of what we can't do. at least, now.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 12:07am On Aug 16, 2010
ezeagu:

So your answer to all this is intelligence? So what "European mixture" do the people of Equatorial Guinea, whose economy has a much higher income than Indonesia and Malaysia, have?

please get out of here, mr man. angry angry

we are talking about human development index, you are reffering to a country' s oil-based gdp.
abeg.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 12:07am On Aug 16, 2010
gadogado:

So what you're actually saying is environment is what makes africans less intelligent not some sort of natural inclination to being dumb right?

well as much as it made Europeans less inteligent during their own time.

Societies evolve. The European one did over time due to various factors. There was a time that Asia and the middle East were more advanced and Europe was a backward place.

It didnt mean Europeans were less intelligent then
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 12:10am On Aug 16, 2010
When Europe was backwards and behind everyother place including Asia, Middle East and North Africa

Where Europeans less intelligent than all those people?
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by Katsumoto: 12:10am On Aug 16, 2010
gadogado:

I don't think you know the meaning of intelligence. Africans are doing just as well as Americans and Europeans in Western societies despite all the issues that Africans face. There are Africans doing well in alien societies even when they face immigration, financial, etc issues. We know that many Africans are not doing as well as wealthy Westerners in western societies because of restrictions, glass ceilings and other unspoken protectionist norms. There are Africans in every facet of life in the Western society.

There are many reasons why Africans are not as wealthy as Westerners in western societies, if the basis of your argument is wealth.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by EzeUche22(m): 12:11am On Aug 16, 2010
I know that this thread has legs. I have fought the good fight in this thread, and I shall return.

This is not over.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by bgees(m): 12:14am On Aug 16, 2010
ola olabiy:

black africans can match 99.9999% of europeans when it comes to inteligence. or academic excellence.
but, they have that 0.000% among them who are geniuses and capable of what we can't do. at least, now.

Yours is one silly and daft post.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by ezeagu(m): 12:14am On Aug 16, 2010
One word for this thread now: FAIL!
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by EzeUche22(m): 12:17am On Aug 16, 2010
ezeagu:

Gbam!
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 12:19am On Aug 16, 2010
@gadogado and Ola

Im waiting for an answer
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 12:21am On Aug 16, 2010
ezeagu:

The thread was bound to be a fail from the start
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 12:31am On Aug 16, 2010
ezeagu:

Go to malabo (the capital of EG) and compare their level of infrastructural development with Kuala Lampur or Singapore or Bangkok or Jakarta or even "i dare to say" Burma. The difference will be stark clear. When I talk about economic development im referring to "WHATS ON GROUND" not meaningless arithmetic (dividing national GDP by population to get per capita GDP) thats useless, it means nothing, go to EG and the slums you'll see will blow your mind!! Whats on ground?? how diverse and sophisticated are their markets and economy as a whole?? how about their infrastructure?? is it adequate? how about human services like education and health facilities?? what is the general standard of living for its citizens? It has about 700,000 population wise, compare that to countries with small populations like Bahrain and Oman then compare their standards.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 12:32am On Aug 16, 2010
bgees:

I.diot
why not tell me what your lineage has invented?
or let me know wht you have done in your miserable life.
olodo.
you picture of 'good life' is even based on the whiteman's.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 12:35am On Aug 16, 2010
gadogado:

Go to malabo (the capital of EG) and compare their level of infrastructural development with Kuala Lampur or Singapore or Bangkok or Jakarta or even "i dare to say" Burma. The difference will be stark clear. When I talk about economic development im referring to "WHATS ON GROUND" not meaningless arithmetic (dividing national GDP by population to get per capita GDP) thats useless, it means nothing, go to EG and the slums you'll see will blow your mind!! Whats on ground?? how diverse and sophisticated are their markets and economy as a whole?? how about their infrastructure?? is it adequate? how about human services like education and health facilities?? what is the general standard of living for its citizens? It has about 700,000 population wise, compare that to countries with small populations like Bahrain and Oman then compare their standards.

he doesn't know that per capita income is an outdated means of calculating living standard.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by Katsumoto: 12:37am On Aug 16, 2010
bgees:

ola olabiy:

!
olodo.

Guys, this has been an intelligent debate so far; there is no need for insults.
Bgees, instead of stating that his post was daft, you should have just said why.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 12:38am On Aug 16, 2010
Those who have run out of things to say are claiming the thread/post is dead. Of course, you'll say that when you have been thoroughly thrashed and proven wrong!! The fact is, just accept your deficiencies and learn how to defeat them. Someone said the lack of protein in the African diet "historically" is responsible for the lack of intelligent. So I advise you to start consuming as much protein as possible.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by Katsumoto: 12:39am On Aug 16, 2010
gadogado:

Those who have run out of things to say are claiming the thread/post is dead. Of course, you'll say that when you have been thoroughly thrashed and proven wrong!! The fact is, just accept your deficiencies and learn how to defeat them. Someone said the lack of protein in the African diet "historically" is responsible for the lack of intelligent. So I advise you to start consuming as much protein as possible.

You are doding questions put to you; instead you are implicitly claiming victory.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 12:41am On Aug 16, 2010
Katsumoto:

Guys, this has been an intelligent debate so far; there is no need for insults.
Bgees, instead of stating that his post was daft, you should have just said why.

i wouldn't know why he called it daft. may be there is an isaac newton in his family.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by bgees(m): 12:42am On Aug 16, 2010
ola olabiy:

I.diot
olodo.

Sorry man, I didn't read your post clearly. I thought u meant Africans 'can't' match
ola olabiy:

Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 12:46am On Aug 16, 2010
sage:

When Europe was backwards and behind everyother place including Asia, Middle East and North Africa

Where Europeans less intelligent than all those people?

do you now accept the fact that we are backward and behind europeans?
if yes, then this, really, has been the bone of contention on this thread.
issue resolved!
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 12:50am On Aug 16, 2010
ola olabiy:

do you now accept the fact that we are backward and behind europeans?
if yes, then this, really, has been the bone of contention on this thread.
issue resolved!

You didnt answer the question

When Europeans were backwards and behind Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, where they inherently less intelligent than people from those places?
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 12:52am On Aug 16, 2010
bgees:

Sorry man, I didn't read your post clearly. I thought u meant Africans 'can't' match

ok bro. i can't demean myself like that now. interactions with brits have revealed to me that most are not even educated.
we are all friends and we are gaining enormously from one another by engaging in intellectual discourses like this.
we should try to avoid personal confrontations.
you are welcome.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

10 Popular Quotes Of Yemi Osinbajo, The Vice President / Soludo Reacts To Killing Of Soldiers In Anambra, Assures Arrest Of Perpetrators / Buhari, Tinubu, Saraki In An interactive Dinner (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.