Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,275 members, 7,836,236 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans (26838 Views)

Read What Milton Friedman Said About The Nigerian Govt. / Milton Friedman Debates Naomi Klein / Was Colonialism Good For Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by bgees(m): 12:53am On Aug 16, 2010
sage:

You didnt answer the question

When Europeans were backwards and behind Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, where they inherently less intelligent than people from those places?
It depends on how u define intelligence.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 12:56am On Aug 16, 2010
bgees:

It depends on how u define intelligence.

the question is:
when was the time sub-saharan africans were ahead of any other race?
good you knw that north africans were better at a stage. and asians too.
but, what about blacks? when? or is this due to some inherent factors?
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 1:00am On Aug 16, 2010
you may need to watch dragon's den. while participants on the nigerian version come with investments (mostly in trading and 'copy' manufacturing), those on the uk version come up with inventions.
just by the way, sha
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by tpiah: 1:02am On Aug 16, 2010
gadogado:

The point Im making is, collectively as a group, Africans constitute the least intelligent people on the globe. In contrast, Africans are some of the best athletes in the world. There are obviously going to be exceptions to the rule (putting a Nigerian student in a class with Japs and Brits) but this does not in anyway negate the fact that we are naturally disorganized which in my opinion is a component of lack of intelligence. We also lack other components of intelligence such as foresight.

Nigeria started at the same level with Asian countries, as far as economic indicators but because they're more intelligent, they have grown to supersede. Look, the examples of Africas lack of brain power is evident, you see it daily. So why deny it?

being emotional isnt a measure of intelligence anymore than being unemotional indicates a lack of cognition.

measuring intelligence by emotional yardsticks leads nowhere.

africans are more in tune with their emotions, true.

in no way does that indicate a lack of intelligence.

and i repeat- ignorant people are found in every society, and africa does not have a higher number of such.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 1:07am On Aug 16, 2010
tpiah:

being emotional isnt a measure of intelligence anymore than being unemotional indicates a lack of cognition.

measuring intelligence by emotional yardsticks leads nowhere.

africans are more in tune with their emotions, true.

in no way does that indicate a lack of intelligence.

and i repeat- ignorant people are found in every society, and africa does not have a higher number of such.
you are right.
but, would you say we match others too when it comes to the no of geniuses?
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 1:08am On Aug 16, 2010
ola olabiy:

the question is:

Europeans were also behind for thousands of years. Was it an inherent factor?

Just because a place is backwards and behind other places at a point in time does not mean that the people are less intelligent or that with a change in circumstances that they would not do well

Europeans are living proof of that
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by tpiah: 1:12am On Aug 16, 2010
gadogado:

Sure, you can teach an African something and he'll be good at it, you can train an animal in something and it'll be good at it but the question is, was the african able to teach himself? thats the question, coming up with your own stuff that reeks of intellectual ability like inventing a car for example. SO far, on this whole thread, people have been able to come up with bronze casting as peak african invention and they have latched to the glory of egypt. Now bring you bronze cast anyday and share a display table of inventions with a European, I'd assume you'd come out thoroughly embarrassed.

and european inventions are based on what?

exploration of other cultures.

so why would you disallow african intellectualism while praising so-called "european" inventions instead of measuring both by the same yardstick.

you might want to ask yourself why europe didnt emerge from the dark ages until they started sailing around the coast of west africa.

and btw, it's rather hard finding african inventors when immediately an african distinguishes himself in any way, the first thing to go is his ethnicity.

an example!

eg the richest black man in the world says he's arab.

how many "arab" inventors are in actual fact, black? Quite a few, i'm sure.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 1:13am On Aug 16, 2010
@ Ola Olabiy

There is no such thing as a "black" race. That is a myth of the highest order.

Whoever came up with the idea of a "black" race needs to be shot at immediately
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 1:13am On Aug 16, 2010
sage:

Europeans were also behind for thousands of years. Was it an inherent factor?

Just because a place is backwards and behind other places at a point in time does not mean that the people are less intelligent or that with a change in circumstances that they would not do well

Europeans are living proof of that

so, we are still waiting for our turn? our 'first' turn to show some 'skills'?
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by bgees(m): 1:14am On Aug 16, 2010
ola olabiy:

the question is:

There was never a time like that.  I also want to believe that all across Europe to Asia, these people learnt from each other through repeated contacts they might gave had. Sub-Saharan Africa must have been isolated .

yes it could be due to some psychological factors. Some people argue that all races have different philosophies.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 1:17am On Aug 16, 2010
bgees:

There was never a time like that. I also want to believe that all across Europe to Asia, these people learnt from each other through repeated contacts they might gave had. Sub-Saharan Africa must have been isolated .

yes it could be due to some psychological factors. Some people argue that all races have different philosophies.

now we are getting somewhere. it now seems we are all coming to some sort of agreement.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 1:17am On Aug 16, 2010
bgees:

There was never a time like that.  I also want to believe that all across Europe to Asia, these people learnt from each other through repeated contacts they might gave had. Sub-Saharan Africa must have been isolated .

Except that the so-called sub-sahahran Africans are very different from each other geneically so it cant be genetics.

Some are more different from each other than they are from other groups actually
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 1:18am On Aug 16, 2010
There is no "Black race" based on genetics so a genetic argument is a big fail

Where did people get this idea of a "black race" from?

There is no such a thing from a genetic standpoint so it is ignorance of the highest order to suggest a common trait of a "race"/ "black race"
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by tpiah: 1:19am On Aug 16, 2010
ola olabiy:

you are right.
but, would you say we match others too when it comes to the no of geniuses?

yes.

you're confusing lack of emotion with genius.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 1:22am On Aug 16, 2010
tpiah:

yes.

you're confusing lack of emotion with genius.
you don't need to be ladened with emotion to showcase geeky instincts.
or, do i need enlightenement here.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 1:26am On Aug 16, 2010
sage:

You didnt answer the question

When Europeans were backwards and behind Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, where they inherently less intelligent than people from those places?

Simple! Europeans fell from glory so in comparison to their initial attainment of enlightenment, they became ignorant, thats comparing the two stages in their history. Africa never had the attainment of enlightenment at no point in time, so nothing to lean a comparison against. Its one thing to rise and fall and in their case rise again unlike the Mongols who only had a rise and fall. But to never ever rise in the history of humanity is something quite different. What has subsaharan Africa ever contributed to the advancement of humanity??
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by ikenwan: 1:31am On Aug 16, 2010
Forgive me if I disagree with you. Mr Drommerl here openly declarede himself as a Shuwa Arab then proceeded to denigrate the entire African race in the face of their European "superiors." His goal was not to incite any meaningful discussion. Had it been, he would not have dodged questions. His goal was to troll and while at it, give himself a pat on the back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Katsumoto:

Guys, this has been an intelligent debate so far; there is no need for insults.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 1:34am On Aug 16, 2010
gadogado:

Simple! Europeans fell from glory so in comparison to their initial attainment of enlightenment, they became ignorant, thats comparing the two stages in their history. Africa never had the attainment of enlightenment at no point in time, so nothing to lean a comparison against. Its one thing to rise and fall and in their case rise again unlike the Mongols who only had a rise and fall. But to never ever rise in the history of humanity is something quite different. What has subsaharan Africa ever contributed to the advancement of humanity??

As much as South East Asia, Eastern Europe and parts of the Americas

The problem with this discussion is that people try to link Africas issues with skin colour

It has nothing whatsoever to do with skin colour and any skin colour related argument is retarded from the start because like i noted, NOTHING in humanity supports the phony idea of race

There is actually no group of people known as "sub-saharan" people. Its a phony western classification for a commonality that does not exist

Ethiopians are a "sub-Saharan" people but they had a complete set of written language with alphabeths to boot.

I had nothing to do with hem beign mixed at all. They are not the only mixed people in Africa
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 1:38am On Aug 16, 2010
ikenwan:

Forgive me if I disagree with you. Mr Drommerl here openly declarede himself as a Shuwa Arab then proceeded to denigrate the entire African race in the face of their European "superiors." His goal was not to incite any meaningful discussion. Had it been, he would not have dodged questions. His goal was to troll and while at it, give himself a pat on the back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

I am begining to agree with you.

I mean I agreed with some of the points the guy made earlier on but as soon as a phony genetic argument started, I became weary. He seems to think that the reasons some East Africans developed a written language is because of admixture angry

White Northern Africans(Berbers) didnt even have a written language while darker skinned Africans in East Africa did but he is somehow making a phony genetic/skin colour argument angry angry angry

If you go back you would see where I even agreed with some of his points

His arguments however started to resemble more and more of a "Supremacist" argument

The dude might actually have 2 or 3 Nairaland user names to support his arguments

I get weary whenever people start to ask what did the "black" race bla bla bla

There is no "black race" from a genetic viewpoint and only ignorant people make arguments about a "black race" since such a thing does not exist from a genetic standpoint

When people start insisting on it, it shows ulterior motives and very sinister ones as that
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by tpiah: 1:43am On Aug 16, 2010
ola olabiy:

you don't need to be ladened with emotion to showcase geeky instincts.
or, do i need enlightenement here.

and do you need to be geeky before you can be intelligent?

yes, you need enlightenment.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by tpiah: 1:46am On Aug 16, 2010
@gadogado

Punt

The majority opinion places Punt in Eastern Africa, based on the fact that the products of Punt (as depicted in the Hatshepsut illustrations) were abundantly found in East Africa but were less common or sometimes absent in Arabia. These products included gold, aromatic resins such as myrrh, ebony and elephant tusks. The wild animals depicted in Punt include giraffes, baboons, hippopotami and leopards. Says Richard Pankhurst : “[Punt] has been identified with territory on both the Arabian and African coasts. Consideration of the articles which the Egyptians obtained from Punt, notably gold and ivory, suggests, however, that these were primarily of African origin. … This leads us to suppose that the term Punt probably applied more to African than Arabian territory.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_Punt
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 1:46am On Aug 16, 2010
tpiah:

and do you need to be geeky before you can be intelligent?

yes, you need enlightenment.
please, enlighten me.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by tpiah: 1:46am On Aug 16, 2010
^^i don tire.

enlighten yourself or dont bother.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by olaolabiy: 1:51am On Aug 16, 2010
^^^^^^^
ahhhhh
tpiah!
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 2:01am On Aug 16, 2010
bgees:

Having a sense of organization and intelligence are two different things. I agree we lack the first as seen in the Africa's development today.

WRONG, having a sense of organization is a form of intelligence because organization suggests rationality, i suspect you're looking at organization or the way i used it with a simplistic lens. organized behavior includes being able to plan ahead among many other things
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 2:38am On Aug 16, 2010
gadogado:

WRONG, having a sense of organization is a form of intelligence because organization suggests rationality, i suspect you're looking at organization or the way i used it with a simplistic lens. organized behavior includes being able to plan ahead among many other things

Looking back at it now, I should not have agreed with you at all

The premise of your whole argument is falsehood. Your intent was always to say "black race" ,  which is complete falsehood in its entirety because your attempt to bring up genetics as a reason was a joke of the highest order. People in Africa are very different genetically from each other so it is impossible for them to have one genetic fault at all. Many African groups have closer genetics to non-Africans than they do to other Africans

Skin colour or looks have nothing to do with intelligence at all

Your whole argument now totally sounds empty to me
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 2:55am On Aug 16, 2010
You cannot make a phony genetic argument about a "black race" when no such thing exists at all genetically.

Any such arguments that tries to create a FALSE commonality has no credibility at all

Where does a "black race" start and stop

Anybody making a genetic argument about intelligence and a "black race" is a crappy liar at best and is not worth anybody's time
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by paddylo1(m): 3:29am On Aug 16, 2010
the question is:

what a retardted question to ask . .

who birthed the other races,exactly. . .?

Who became human,who evolved the brain to think and master his sorroundings?

Its like asking,when was the time your great grand father was ever ahead of u. .

dude if your great grandfather was not there u would never exist today. .

Same thing the first humans were Africans,and stayed in africa for 2/3rds of our time on earth as homo sapiens

developing culture,language,burying our dead,hunting agriculture and so on ,

In this period everyone on earth was black,and resided in Africa

the other creatures that were in europe and asia were too dumb to survive the so called neanderthals(they died off)

Pls know your history. . . .b4 asking incredulously ignorant questions
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by ezeagu(m): 4:22am On Aug 16, 2010
gadogado:

Britons never fell from any glory, they've always been the savage barbarians, no insult, this is what they themselves teach people along with the Germans who were among the first groups to be called barbarians actually. All this "fell from grace" nonsense obviously indicates your one sided view point, a British person will not be offended if you ask what their island(s) were before the Romans. Even after the Romans left, simple lack of washing caused millions of deaths in Europe during the Plagues and Black death of the early parts of the last millennium, at the same time African's were well soaped up in their black soap and palm oil soap, the same palm oil that every good soap now includes.

And by the way, whatever happened to Kemet, Nubia, Axum and Cush in Africa's advancement or "fall from grace", or maybe it doesn't count because these kingdoms were in the east, well here's the thing the whole of the Mediterranean plus Italy doesn't count for the whole of Europe in that case!

gadogado:

WRONG, Nigeria can't maintain a dam, yet beavers can. Genius artists like Da Vinci were infamous for their numerous uncompleted projects, they didn't plan ahead, or better yet, they didn't see things through, this is more to do with their emotion or priorities than actual intelligence. If someone loots a country blind, it doesn't always mean they are completely stuupid, there are different things that could cause this behaviour like a low self esteem.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by ChinenyeN(m): 4:49am On Aug 16, 2010
On the issue of writing and scripts. . . I hope you all realize how amazing the invention of writing really is. Looking through all of human history, writing systems are thought to have been independently developed in only a handful of places. Everything else (for example, this Latin script) we are witnessing now, is simply as a result of cultural diffusion from select societies, and from that diffusion, those writing & pre-writing ideas 'evolved' (had other small ideas added on). Without that diffusion, English would not have a script, which it learned from the Romans, who in turned learned and 'evolved' their from the Greeks, who in turn learned and 'evolved' theirs from the Phoenicians, who in turn learned and 'evolved' their from their dealings with Egypt and Sumer. Had these early ideas not diffused, we would not be witnessing writing, as we are in this day. In fact, without the diffusion, much of the world would still be considered illiterate, and some societies would be on the verge of literacy, while only a select few isolated societies would have knowledge of actual writing.

Now, scripts were developed (or just to be safe, in development) in pre-colonial Africa. Nsibidi is one that I know of, and I've heard of others. The question now is why those scripts did not develop like writing systems found in Europe, Mesopotamia, and Asia, and the answer to that takes us back to the first thing I stated in this topic; diffusion. Don't get me wrong, those pre-colonial African scripts were actually developing. They were just developing rather slowly, due to the nature of sub-Saharan geography, which presented logistic problems for cultural diffusion (again, a great many societies lived in relative isolation). So, cultural diffusion occurred at a rather slow rate. This slow rate of cultural diffusion directly correlates with the slow rate of societal/technological advancement. So it isn't to say that sub-Sahara Africa would have never developed any of the societal/technological advancements we see coming from Europe or Asia. Sub-Sahara Africa certainly would have, but at a much slower pace.

As for Ethiopia, it has its relations with southern Arabia to thank for the development of its own script. In fact, I've noticed that societies at the upper edge of sub-Sahara (the Hausa, Ethiopia, Sudanese, etc.) all have their relations with southern Arabia to thank for the development of their scripts. Further south though, where more and more groups lived in relative isolation, writing is not as widespread, and even where there is evidence of writing, there is a clear lack of European or Arabic influence (as in, sub-Saharan societies actually invented writing, independently). Now, I don't know about anyone else, but if one actually want to use the development of writing as a means to justify intelligence (or lack there of), then I would say that sub-Saharan societies truly did exhibit marked evidence of intelligence, by independently inventing their own scripts, as opposed to many other societies in Europe and Mesopotamia, who only did nothing more than copy and 'evolve' theirs from a select few societies.

Again, sub-Sahara Africans do not have a problem of 'lack of intelligence capacity', or 'sub-par intelligence levels'.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 4:58am On Aug 16, 2010
ChinenyeN:

On the issue of writing and scripts. . . I hope you all realize how amazing the invention of writing really is. Looking through all of human history, writing systems are thought to have been independently developed in only a handful of places. Everything else (for example, this Latin script) we are witnessing now, is simply as a result of cultural diffusion from select societies, and from that diffusion, those writing & pre-writing ideas 'evolved' (had other small ideas added on). Without that diffusion, English would not have a script, which it learned from the Romans, who in turned learned and 'evolved' their from the Greeks, who in turn learned and 'evolved' theirs from the Phoenicians, who in turn learned and 'evolved' their from their dealings with Egypt and Sumer. Had these early ideas not diffused, we would not be witnessing writing, as we are in this day. In fact, without the diffusion, much of the world would still be considered illiterate, and some societies would be on the verge of literacy, while only a select few isolated societies would have knowledge of actual writing.

Now, scripts were developed (or just to be safe, in development) in pre-colonial Africa. Nsibidi is one that I know of, and I've heard of others. The question now is why those scripts did not develop like writing systems found in Europe, Mesopotamia, and Asia, and the answer to that takes us back to the first thing I stated in this topic; diffusion. Don't get me wrong, those pre-colonial African scripts were actually developing. They were just developing rather slowly, due to the nature of sub-Saharan geography, which presented logistic problems for cultural diffusion (again, a great many societies lived in relative isolation). So, cultural diffusion occurred at a rather slow rate. This slow rate of cultural diffusion directly correlates with the slow rate of societal/technological advancement. So it isn't to say that sub-Sahara Africa would have never developed any of the societal/technological advancements we see coming from Europe or Asia. Sub-Sahara Africa certainly would have, but at a much slower pace.

As for Ethiopia, it has its relations with southern Arabia to thank for the development of its own script. In fact, I've noticed that societies at the upper edge of sub-Sahara (the Hausa, Ethiopia, Sudanese, etc.) all have their relations with southern Arabia to thank for the development of their scripts. Further south though, where more and more groups lived in relative isolation, writing is not as widespread, and even where there is evidence of writing, there is a clear lack of European or Arabic influence (as in, sub-Saharan societies actually invented writing, independently). Now, I don't know about anyone else, but if one actually want to use the development of writing as a means to justify intelligence (or lack there of), then I would say that sub-Saharan societies truly did exhibit marked evidence of intelligence, by independently inventing their own scripts, as opposed to many other societies in Europe and Mesopotamia, who only did nothing more than copy and 'evolved' theirs from a select few societies.

Again, sub-Sahara Africans do not have a problem of 'lack of intelligence capacity', or 'sub-par intelligence levels'.
\
+1000000000000000000

The thing with it is that even the White Berber North African societies also struggled with the concept of written language despite being very close to the medditerenian while "sub-saharan parts like Ethiopia had a fully developed system

Your diffusion theory I reckon is 100% correct
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by abes(m): 7:47am On Aug 16, 2010
Another angle to this debate (if it's actually a debate).

A Scottish explorer Mungo Park discovered the River Niger  in June 1786.

Now my question: Was there no river Niger before Mungo Park "discovered" it?

My point is, histories are re-written to make some group of people look so silly and may be feel inferior.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon / Peter Obi: Seun Onigbinde Leads Campaign To Crowdfund N10 Billion / Russia Vs Ukraine: Reno Omokri Blames Buhari For Biden's Weakness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.