Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,242 members, 7,836,155 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans (26836 Views)

Read What Milton Friedman Said About The Nigerian Govt. / Milton Friedman Debates Naomi Klein / Was Colonialism Good For Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by EzeUche22(m): 10:31pm On Aug 15, 2010
sage:

Britain and France were parts of the Roman empire and have Roman influences including language and religion so there is a connection

And those societies have actually invented recent stuff and dont really talk about Rome

When you hear about British invention they are not talking about Rome at all

French comes from latin

Nigeria was not a part of Ancient Egypt

You cannot say that Ancient Egypt did not have influences across the continent. Just because the impact of Ancient Egypt on Africa has not been recorded, it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I am pretty sure Ancient Egypt influence can be felt throughout the continent.

If the Lemba people of South African can have Jewish DNA in them even though Ancient Israel was found thousands miles away from South Africa, I know for a fact that Ancient Egypt influence also spread as well.

I bet you didn't know that the Ancient Igbo had pyramids!

Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 10:32pm On Aug 15, 2010
EzeUche22:

Do the British and French not claim Ancient Rome and Greece as their classical civilizations? Even the Russians claim they are an extension of the Old Roman Empire through their contact with the Byzantine Empire.

Indians have their own ancient civilization and China is ancient as well.

So why can't African societies claim Ancient Egypt as our classical civilization. Since it is now providing inspiration for Africans around the continent.

I agree with you here, they do infact claim greco-roman civilizations. However, thats because of the extensive contact and heavy borrowing from that duo by western Europeans. Actually, the British were largely roman slaves. So there has to be some criteria from claiming a civilization that didnt occur in ur ancestral land, there must be a) contact b) similarities (both racial and cultural) c) building upon the initial civilization. You can't claim Egypt if you've built nothing onto the Ancient Egyptian civilization. But the British/west can claim greco-roman because they took their concepts and built on them.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by ezeagu(m): 10:33pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

@ezeuche

These scripts you're coming up with are concepts that came up very recently. I once showed my professor and a liberian girl that bassa script, its complete bull poo. If it came up after colonization or post European contact, then it doesn't count. All of these scripts you're coming up with came post EC so they don't count. Furthermore, they're pretty much rip offs and modifications of arabic, latin et.al

I'm sorry, but the Nsibidi script is at least 1500 years old, and it certainly isn't a rip-off of Latin or Arabic.

As for the reply to Milton Friedman, he was hurling nonsense, well partly, one about Britain not having slavery and he didn't address their slave colonies, and for implying that all the colonies Britain owned cost them. As for no sign of the wheel in Africa before the 19th century:

Angola, 1786-87

[center][img]http://hitchcock.itc.virginia.edu/SlaveTrade/collection/medium/LCP-11.JPG[/img][/center]

Let's not be silly. My opinion is now validated.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by Onlytruth(m): 10:35pm On Aug 15, 2010
I'd go back to my first position.

No human civilization can claim exclusivity of knowledge and inventions.

Man has been in the copying business long before the copier machine was ever dreamed of. cool

Knowledge flows around, and has been flowing around even before history began.

The most retarded claim I've ever come across is that "Africans lack intellectual capacity".

That is not just a bold insult, it makes the claimant truly dumb. cool

As I'm writing this, my townsman "Innoson" is busy building auto plants in Nnewi using Chinese technology.

One day, when he and Nigerians must have perfected it and started our own automotive designs, someone will start claiming it as purely ours.

Technology started when man turned bones into knives, and later discovered fire.

No one owns anything.

Fact. cool
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 10:36pm On Aug 15, 2010
@Ezeag

Who took those pictures?
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by EzeUche22(m): 10:37pm On Aug 15, 2010
Nsibidi Script. . . I will not allow anyone take that away from my Eastern Nigeria people. Something thousands of years old! The nerve of these fools saying we didn't have a writing script. I can't speak for all of Africa, but I know my people had a writing script!
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by Nobody: 10:40pm On Aug 15, 2010
sage:

Britain and France were parts of the Roman empire and have Roman influences including language and religion so there is a connection

And those societies have actually invented recent stuff and dont really talk about Rome

When you hear about British invention they are not talking about Rome at all

French comes from latin

Nigeria was not a part of Ancient Egypt

Really? If ancient Egypt influenced the Roman Empire and Roman Empire influenced Britain, and Britain influenced Nigeria, I would think there is a connection.
But, the question is why is Egypt's influence over Britain less important than Britain's influence over Nigeria?
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by ezeagu(m): 10:43pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

I agree with you here, they do infact claim greco-roman civilizations. However, thats because of the extensive contact and heavy borrowing from that duo by western Europeans. Actually, the British were largely roman slaves. So there has to be some criteria from claiming a civilization that didnt occur in your ancestral land, there must be a) contact b) similarities (both racial and cultural) c) building upon the initial civilization. You can't claim Egypt if you've built nothing onto the Ancient Egyptian civilization. But the British/west can claim greco-roman because they took their concepts and built on them.

I'll use a little of what I know.

The Igbo believed in the sun of God called Anyanwu. Anyanwu in Igbo means 'The eye of the Sun'

Eye of Horus:

Horus was the ancient Egyptian sky god who was usually depicted as a falcon. His right eye was associated with [u]the sun Ra.[/b]

Tutsi man

[center][img]http://robertlindsay.files./2009/05/tutsi-2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://mummyswrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Tut+war+crown.jpg[/img][/center]
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 10:44pm On Aug 15, 2010
EzeUche22:

Nsibidi Script. . . I will not allow anyone take that away from my Eastern Nigeria people. Something thousands of years old! The nerve of these fools saying we didn't have a writing script. I can't speak for all of Africa, but I know my people had a writing script!

Im seriously laughing @ the ndibisi sign for "table set" and someone was saying its 1500 years old. FRAUD. Besides, this is not a script its merely symbology, show me the alphabets and the sentences, Im waiting!
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 10:47pm On Aug 15, 2010
Aigbofa:

Really? If ancient Egypt influenced the Roman Empire and Roman Empire influenced Britain, and Britain influenced Nigeria, I would think there is a connection.
But, the question is why is Egypt's influence over Britain less important than Britain's influence over Nigeria?

Britain pioneered the steam engine, trains, telegraph, centrifuge, television, flush toilet etc. They took civilization to a level the Greeks and Romans and all of humanity had not imagined.

What exactly did we copy from the British and take to the next level?

Its not about claiming an old civilization. The British actually developed whatever they learnt from Greeks and Romans and took it to levels that changed the whole world and impacted all humanity
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by Nobody: 10:49pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

Im seriously laughing @ the ndibisi sign for "table set" and someone was saying its 1500 years old. FRAUD. Besides, this is not a script its merely symbology, show me the alphabets and the sentences, Im waiting!

This is like looking at Egyptian hieroglyphics and asking, where are the sentences!!!
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 10:49pm On Aug 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

Are you even following normal logic?

Why not dissect Europe as you do Africa? How come you are ready to accept English achievement as a European achievement, but reject Ethoipian or Egyptian or Berbers as African achievement?

Frankly, there is a gap in your thought process.

As long as Africa is ONE continues land space (not islands in the ocean), no part of Africa can be divorced from the achievement of the other.

Look at my criteria for claiming a civilization. a,b and c.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by Onlytruth(m): 10:52pm On Aug 15, 2010
Aigbofa:

This is like looking at Egyptian hyroglyphics and asking, where are the sentences!!!

Don't mind that guy! lol.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 10:52pm On Aug 15, 2010
Aigbofa:

This is like looking at Egyptian hyroglyphics and asking, where are the sentences!!!

You cant say that the script is 1500 years old and their sign for "table set" is forks, spoons and even a cocktail glass. Dont be foolish, this is purely fraud. When did Igbo people start eating food with utensils?  As far as I know, they eat with their hands. Also, forks and all that were not created 1500 years ago. Please dont be daft. It demeans you.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by EzeUche22(m): 10:53pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

You half-caste confused African, do not laugh at Nsibidi script. It is old. Even older than Latin writing system. And what is wrong with symbology. The Chinese script is symbology and the Hindu script as well.

Nsibidi and don't you forget it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8UHeE9Riqw
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by Nobody: 10:56pm On Aug 15, 2010
sage:

Britain pioneered the steam engine, trains, telegraph, centrifuge, television, flush toilet etc. They took civilization to a level the Greeks and Romans and all of humanity had not imagined.

What exactly did we copy from the British and take to the next level?

Its not about claiming an old civilization. The British actually developed whatever they learnt from Greeks and Romans and took it to levels that changed the whole world and impacted all humanity

When Europeans came to Benin and Ife to take away Bronze castings, do you they simply used them to decorate their living rooms without asking how they were made?
Do you think they didn't gain any knowledge about casting metals? Do you think they simply made locomotives out of the blues?

It doesn't work that way, things don't happen out of the blues!!
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by EzeUche22(m): 10:56pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado

That was a more recent use of Nsibidi. Writing scripts evolve. But it was here prior to the European invasion.

Can you read this?  grin It is Nsibidi. . . Ancient Nsibidi to be more exact.

Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 10:56pm On Aug 15, 2010
Why is it so hard for Africans to accept that they simple arent as intelligent as other races? You have continuously proven that to be the case both in what you're able to do, build and produce and also IQ tests clearly suggest that the sub saharan African is the least intelligent being on earth.
I say accept the bitter truth and begin looking for ways to make yourself more intelligent and hence more competitive rather that being emotional and defensive!
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

You cant say that the script is 1500 years old and their sign for "table set" is forks, spoons and even a cocktail glass. Dont be foolish, this is purely fraud. When did Igbo people start eating food with utensils?  As far as I know, they eat with their hands. Also, forks and all that were not created 1500 years ago. Please dont be daft. It demeans you.

I'm taking a leave from ethnic bashing today grin. If you have any evidence against the script, please provide them.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 10:59pm On Aug 15, 2010
Aigbofa:

When Europeans came to Benin and Ife to take away Bronze castings, do you they simply used them to decorate their living rooms without asking how they were made?
Do you think they didn't gain any knowledge about casting metals? Do you think they simply made locomotives out of the blues?

It doesn't work that way, things don't happen out of the blues!!

They happen out of the reds grin
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by EzeUche22(m): 10:59pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

Why is it so hard for Africans to accept that they simple arent as intelligent as other races? You have continuously proven that to be the case both in what you're able to do, build and produce and also IQ tests clearly suggest that the sub saharan African is the least intelligent being on earth.
I say accept the bitter truth and begin looking for ways to make yourself more intelligent and hence more competitive rather that being emotional and defensive!

Speak for yourself. Speaking in generalized statements like that. You may not feel intelligent to others, but I definitely know that I am intelligent. I am more intelligent than most of my white colleagues. And I am definitely more intelligent than you so how does that make you feel?
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by Nobody: 11:02pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

This is the point you have been trying to make all along. At this point, I don't think you are worth my time!!!
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by Onlytruth(m): 11:03pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

Whatever gives you hard-on dude.  undecided undecided

Your mind is made up. So why are you here?

There was a time no one knew that black people could play American football, and baseball. Today they dominate both sports.

At times like this, I lament that Biafra failed, thanks to the same group of people sponsoring you to say these things.

I'll tell you this though; the world is constantly changing, whether you like it or not. The same people have not ruled this world for more than 700 years ( the Moores that occupied Spain).

If the earth is still here, it will continue to change and different peoples/races will continue to rule it at different times.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by tpiah: 11:04pm On Aug 15, 2010
You cant say that the script is 1500 years old and their sign for "table set" is forks, spoons and even a cocktail glass

hmm, well, that's true.

however

gadogado:

and what criteria for intelligence have africans not met?

every continent and culture has ignorant and intelligent people.

no exceptions.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by ezeagu(m): 11:05pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

Clearly you are not here to learn or understand anything. Nsibidi is proto-writing that could be logoraphic, do you know what logographic means? Example, Chinese characters are logographic, and here's the thing, Chinese characters, or as the Japanese who copied them call it, Kanji, are is not an alphabet system. A writing system is the not the same thing as an alphabet, dooo yoooouuu geeettt ittt? Googleing pictures of Nsibidi is USELESS, the released symbols, as a published author says, was an "elaborate joke." Most of the symbols you looked up are these right?

[center][/center]

Try picking up an actual book, before you arrogantly declare something that is so ancient as a 'fraud.' It pays to get your facts straight.

As for Nsibidi sentences, I'll hold back because you don't know the difference between an alphabet and a writing system. It's used on everything from secret sign's/warnings to Ekpe wrappers.

[center][img]http://africa.si.edu/exhibits/inscribing/images/eduimages/ukaraLG.jpg[/img][/center]
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by sage(m): 11:06pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

I have to disagree with you though on this

I dont think Africans are less intelligent at all. There are many reasons why Africans lag behind which are self-inflicted but it has nothing to do with intelligence

If you put a Nigerian student with Japanese and British students he would do just as well
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 11:06pm On Aug 15, 2010
EzeUche22:

gadogado

That was a more recent use of Nsibidi. Writing scripts evolve. But it was here prior to the European invasion.

Can you read this?  grin It is Nsibidi. . . Ancient Nsibidi to be more exact.

Sure, it means Im driving to the restaurant to go eat with my "table set" and "cocktail glass"
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by ezeagu(m): 11:07pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

Sure, it means Im driving to the restaurant to go eat with my "table set" and "cocktail glass"

Try being honest and reply my post, and who told you characters, or whole new writing systems can't and haven't been introduced to another existing writing system?
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 11:11pm On Aug 15, 2010
ezeagu:

Clearly you are not here to learn or understand anything. Nsibidi is proto-writing that could be logoraphic, do you know what logographic means? Example, Chinese characters are logographic, and here's the thing, Chinese characters, or as the Japanese who copied them call it, Kanji, are is not an alphabet system. A writing system is the not the same thing as an alphabet, dooo yoooouuu geeettt ittt? Googleing pictures of Nsibidi is USELESS, the released symbols, as a published author says, was an "elaborate joke." Most of the symbols you looked up are these right?

[center][/center]

Try picking up an actual book, before you arrogantly declare something that is so ancient as a 'fraud.' It pays to get your facts straight.

As for Nsibidi sentences, I'll hold back because you don't know the difference between an alphabet and a writing system. It's used on everything from secret sign's/warnings to Ekpe wrappers.

[center][img]http://africa.si.edu/exhibits/inscribing/images/eduimages/ukaraLG.jpg[/img][/center]

I was talking about a script actually but either way, anybody can draw those lame logos and call it a writing system. Did Igbos use this "writing system" to record their history, if yes, tell us what the recorded history and/or events say about how they lived 1500 years ago.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 11:21pm On Aug 15, 2010
sage:

I have to disagree with you though on this

I dont think Africans are less intelligent at all. There are many reasons why Africans lag behind which are self-inflicted but it has nothing to do with intelligence

If you put a Nigerian student with Japanese and British students he would do just as well

Sure, you can teach an African something and he'll be good at it, you can train an animal in something and it'll be good at it but the question is, was the african able to teach himself? thats the question, coming up with your own stuff that reeks of intellectual ability like inventing a car for example. SO far, on this whole thread, people have been able to come up with bronze casting as peak african invention and they have latched to the glory of egypt. Now bring you bronze cast anyday and share a display table of inventions with a European, I'd assume you'd come out thoroughly embarrassed.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by ezeagu(m): 11:30pm On Aug 15, 2010
gadogado:

I was talking about a script actually but either way,

I don't know what this means. What does it mean?  

gadogado:

anybody can draw those lame logos and call it a writing system.

Like the lame hieroglyphs and Chinese characters, right? Laaammmeeee draaawwiiinngggs! undecided

gadogado:

Did Igbos use this "writing system" to record their history, if yes, tell us what the recorded history and/or events say about how they lived 1500 years ago.

I will ignore the massive goal post move for entertainment/'educational' purposes. Well Nsibidi wasn't only used by "Igbos" but neighbouring groups as well, people usually recorded their history orally, apart from that:

Early evidence of nsibidi is found in the decoration of the carved monoliths of Emangabe, near Ikom in the upper Cross River region.

www.lib.umd.edu/drum/bitstream/1903/2416/1/umi-umd-2280.pdf

Ostensibly, the AOAM urgently needs many security men to keep watch over the sites night and day. "We need adequate security at Alok Circle in particular because it is very popular. That is where we have most of the monoliths, which carry almost all the symbols of ‘Nsibidi’ and ‘Ekpe’ as well as many other emblems that our ancestors went to great pains to bequeath to us."

http://www.sudanvisiondaily.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=23405

This is one of the monoliths, some of which Europe stole:

[center][/center]

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/travels/2010/aug/05/Travel-08-05-2010-001.htm

Some recorded rituals and practices. Sorry that's 2000 years.
Re: Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans by gadogado(m): 11:33pm On Aug 15, 2010
The point Im making is, collectively as a group, Africans constitute the least intelligent people on the globe. In contrast, Africans are some of the best athletes in the world. There are obviously going to be exceptions to the rule (putting a Nigerian student in a class with Japs and Brits) but this does not in anyway negate the fact that we are naturally disorganized which in my opinion is a component of lack of intelligence. We also lack other components of intelligence such as foresight.

Nigeria started at the same level with Asian countries, as far as economic indicators but because they're more intelligent, they have grown to supersede. Look, the examples of Africas lack of brain power is evident, you see it daily. So why deny it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Osinbajo Condemns Invasion Of NASS By DSS, Police / Abike Dabiri Inspects Venue Of APC Presidential Rally In Enugu (pictures) / Get Ready For 3-Week & 4-Week Sit-At-Home, If Kanu Is Not Released - Simon Ekpa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.