Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,748 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

50calibre's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 50calibre's Profile / 50calibre's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 196 pages)

Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 5:54am On May 03, 2015
SirShymexx:
50calibre, where you at?

Told you it won't be close!!

The champ!!!

You promises a KO remember

What type of champ runs around the ring like a little kid?

7 Likes

Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 5:51am On May 03, 2015
Very crappy fight!! Floyd was on his heels for the 12 rounds.

This isn't boxing but hide & seek

@ SirShymmex this isn't a fight, only one person was fighting.

I'm going to sleep, I can't believe I stayed up for this child's play.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 4:52am On May 03, 2015
Wow floyd looks like he means business, no circus entrance. Wow!!

I still see Beiber hanging behind like groupie grin

3 Likes

Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 4:49am On May 03, 2015
I bet Justin Beiber is going to walk Floyd to the ring. The relationship between those two is weird

2 Likes 1 Share

Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 4:44am On May 03, 2015
SirShymexx:

I think that is cos he broke his hand one time (I think against Castillo) but the power is still there.

Ok we shall see about that.

Pacquiao says he plans to unleash upwards of 100 punches/round.

Lets see how floyd deals with that.
Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 4:35am On May 03, 2015
Nihilist:
Carl Froch on commentary duties

Lol he got to interview Floyd and was surprised he knew who he was.
Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 4:33am On May 03, 2015
SirShymexx:

Nah, underrated punching power cos he cruises through fights...but he'll unleash it today.

I just pray Manny throws caution in the wind and come forward, so his ar.se can be put to sleep quicker. grin

So has floyd had his knuckles hardened because his fists are gone, he even admitted that, that's why they place extra padding on them before the gloves.

1 Like

Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 4:30am On May 03, 2015
kay1one2:
Manny and mom share prayer before fight.

Pacquiao preparing to perform a spiritual exorcism on Floyd.

Floyd will be a changed man after this fight.

1 Like

Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 4:27am On May 03, 2015
SirShymexx:

Manny should be fast asleep by the 7th round...I called it first. grin

Straight right or sweet left hook - ya boy is gonna walk into either of the two. grin

Lol that's not going to happen, floyd doesn't have a KO punch. He's fists are not even strong.

You will see Pacquiao the beast unleashed on mayweather.
Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 4:23am On May 03, 2015
The audience is star-studded, even Paris Hilton the charity puss*y is in the crowd.

Pacquiao looks calm, he's got this under control.

2 Likes

Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 4:21am On May 03, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. You lot are here already. Bwoi, the NBA playoffs game I'm watching right now should be more fun than whatever is going to happen in that one-sided bout. Money Mayweather should put him to sleep by the 7th round! grin

Enjoy!

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/kd26ko2x.gif[/img]

Lol I don't think so.

Your boy is going down
Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 2:38am On May 03, 2015
SirShymexx:

Based on what I've read from those around him - I think it had more to do with culture shock, than anything mental. Ol'boy just wanted exotic dancers to give him proper ero.tic dancing before paying them. He probably tried to force his way, by forcing them to dance, and got in trouble for it. It wasn't like he ra.ped them or anything.

Did he get deported? - cray. That was the Nigerian Mike Tyson with one of the fastest hands ever in heavyweight boxing and a chin as strong as stone. The president. I saw a documentary about him one time on HBO - wasted talent. He should've been an all time great.

There was no one looking out for him, and the sentence he got was disproportionate to the crime he committed.

I heard he was deported as soon as he was released from prison. That guy's story is a very sad one.
Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 2:33am On May 03, 2015
windgold:
Lomachencko (southpaw) vs Rodriguez (orthodox) ,title Feather weight just started live.

Crap!! I don't know why they have to bore us with these undercard fights, these guys are so light, their punches don't hurt. I'm about to fall asleep despite just waking up few minutes ago.
Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 2:30am On May 03, 2015
CodeineJunkiee:

Op it's MGM Grand not MGN. Correct accordingly

Why bother with triviality, are you trying to smart?

That's an obvious typo but what does it matter? MGM it MGN, they sound the same. I can't edit it anymore, it's locked.

2 Likes

Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 2:24am On May 03, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. That's the crazy justice system whereby women can slap you but it's a crime to restrain them - yet we all want equality, with all genders treated as equals. Crazy world, I tell ya. Men just need to turn to "Jesus" when dealing with the Jezebels and daughters of Eve. grin

I don't think he makes them sign anything cos the last I checked, his ex. that eloped to Nelly, Ms. Jackson, is still running around with the ti.ts, batty, and lipo he paid for lol . How is he gonna get all 'em silicon back? - cray! But you might be right though. He has the money to gamble big. Michael Jordan is also a very big gambler, but that hasn't stopped his net worth from moving to over a billion. As long as he doesn't do it recklessly, he'd be alright.

Hahaha those are non-refundable. That's proof that money doesn't always keep a woman.

Wladimir Klitschko is no saint. I think we all just look at these non-English speaking folks, including Pacman, as saints - just because they can't speak the language. And what folks will critique for in US for example, might be normal where they're from. And the press where they're from isn't as crazy as the one in the US.

Klitschko is very benign, I've never seen him insult any one or thrash talk. The guy is too respectful, even when guys try to get under his skin, he keeps his cool. Maybe his personality is different but the image he portrays to the world, is that of a gentleman.

Sony Liston was involved in mob-syndicate and crime - so whatever Ali did to him was justified. No one liked him and mobs controlled all his fights. But what Ali did to Frazier and Foreman was unacceptable, if you look back in hindsight. They destroyed their blackness, hence both will never forgive him. Read about him and Malcolm X here: http://uproxx.com/smokingsection/2013/07/muhammad-ali-malcolm-x-fallout/ . Regardless, Ali had it all - he represented the supreme blackness of that era. Articulate, extremely intelligent, brash, pro-black to the core, brave etc.. Still the greatest IMO.

Lol it was just sport rivalry, they later became close friends, sitting together for many interviews. Ali was even present at Frazier's funeral when he past away few years ago.

I never knew Ali fell out with Malcolm X, I though they were close till Malcolm died.

As boxing fans, especially those of us who grew up in the 90s, we just have to give Mayweather his props, man. Without him, the sweet science will be dead now. We had a prime Mike Tyson, Holyfield, and Lennox Lewis (the last great heavyweight) growing up in the heavyweight division. Then Pernell Whitaker, Felix Trinidad, Chavez, Oscar De La Hoya, Bernad Hopkins, Shane Mosley, Winky Wright, Forrest et al in the 90s and noughties. And since then, boxing lost its bite. Mayweather (with Pacman to an extent) saved the sport - and we ought to be grateful to that man.

Faces destroyed by being drained due to catch-weight and roid rage. Folks said the same about Alvarez's victims till Mayweather schooled him like an amateur. grin

You're forgetting the Nigel Benn & Chris Eubank... These guys brought excitement TI the sport. Now it's just Mayweather and Pacquiao, they're the last last pay per view stars, this is probably the last super fight we're going to see for a very long time.

Lol If it was that easy to use roids there'd be many world champions. Don't worry when Pacquiao whoops your man, you'd admit there's no roid grin

1 Like

Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 8:23pm On May 02, 2015
SirShymexx:
Anyone who loves boxing should google this Nigerian nyggah: Ike Ibeabuchi.

After beating Chris Byrd and David Tua - he was destined to be the next big heavyweight boxer and would've been a hall of famer (that was how great he was), till women destroyed his life. He should still be in US prison right now.

They just wasted his talents - women done destroy too many people, I tell ya.

The guy suffered from mental illness prior to prison. I heard he has been deported back to Nigeria now..

It's sad how a woman destroyed his promising career.
Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 8:20pm On May 02, 2015
SirShymexx:

Media will always find a nonconfirmist to be a villain, especially if it can generate interests based on star-power. And Mayweather is a perfect fit for that "thug" narrative. You'd imagine that if a boxer, whose hand is a weapon - were to assault someone (especially a woman), there will be pictures of bruises and swollen faces. However, in this case - there's none, just verbal complaints. grin

Al Haymon the ghost can't die (joking lol). Al Haymon isn't that old - and he has a solid structure, so if Mayweather doesn't go nuts and leave that camp - he should be good. And apart from gambling and maybe spending lavishly on women, he doesn't get involve in too many vices unlike other people. He doesn't smoke, drink, or do drugs.

Lol @ Ali. Muhammed Ali wasn't a saint. Yes, he was a great fighter who talked big and backed it up, but he did so many bad things. He psychologically destroyed Joe Frazier forever by publicly making him look like an Uncle Tom. Ditto how he publicly embarrassed George Foreman. He dissed Malcolm X. Said so many crazy things etc.. The media never liked Ali back then - he just became a media darling after the Parkinson's disease. Yes, Ali broke barriers racially/culturally - but he wasn't a saint as well. And when you compare the two eras - you can't really blame Mayweather for his approach.

Mayweather moved out of his own comfort zone and weight class to Cotto in his comfort zone and normal weight class - Pacman fought him at catch-weight, all drained up. Peep the difference.

Floyd said all he did was restrain a woman who was acting out. I heard floyd makes any woman he's about to date sign a contract that whatever expensive gifts she receives will be returned to him when they break up so I don't know if he's really spending that much on women. Gambling is the only major vice I see him indulging in, the guy gambles like a mad man. He puts up Instagram pics of his winnings, showing huge stakes but he never shows the ones he loses and we all know, in gambling, you lose more than you win.

Of course! Ali was no saint, the sport doesn't need saints. Wladimir Klitschko is a saint and no one knows who he is. Ali was a character people loved to hate, he was witty, funny, entertaining & charismatic... I saw old footages of him in London damn! It was like beetles had just arrived whereas Mayweather went to a barber shop in Brixton and got humbled by a woman.

Frazier and Foreman were arch-enemies of Ali, he didn't have to be nice to guys who were trying to beat him up, he also berated Sony Liston. After receiving those dreadful left hooks from Frazier in their second fight, he owed the man no courtesy. grin

Really? Have you seen the faces of Pacquiao's opponents compared to floyd's. Ok we shall find out soon enough.

2 Likes

Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 7:10pm On May 02, 2015
SirShymexx:

I think the media just created this image of the guy as a bad guy, to play into a certain narrative cos he isn't a conformist. When you're from where he's from, where you have to work extremely hard for everything and earn things ya own way - without earning handing it to you - you'll overtime develop a chip on ya shoulder. And they don't like it. They want you to be a model citizen, but what they do realise is that: no everyone wants to be fake - some folks just feel more comfortable in their own skin, doing things their own way. And he has been extremely smart enough to turn the bad publicity into huge earnings - something they'll never give him credit for. Muhammed Ali had the same bad rap during his hay days - just look at how they all worship him. Anyway, the reason why I said I doubt he'll go broke is because he has Al Haymon the ghost on his team - and when you have got a genius like that around you, it'll be difficult to make dumb financial mistakes.

Exploring more business opportunities right now, when he has a big cash cow paying him tens of millions annually - and a legacy to protect - would be a distraction. He obviously would have a few other things he has invested in, but it will be unwise to go full throttle now, until after his retirement.

They don't do blood tests - they only do urine tests, hence Mayweather was adamant about blood testing before and after the fight. Pacman was juicing and he knows it, ditto every other boxer out there. Hence most of his fight back then were in-house - with boxers under Arum. They just rode that wave. Since then, he has been fighting bums. Great fighter but the roids also played a big role.

After Mayweather knocked Hatton out - he was never the same boxer again. He was shot and, went into deep depression as a cocaine fiend and alcoholic. Heck, he retired after that but had to come back to fight Manny for money, after rinsing almost everything on drugs. He had no chance to begin with and even Amir Khan would've knocked him out.

I tell ya! the guy is being cast as the villain which is actually having a very nice effect on his wallet as lots of people pay for the opportunity to see him lose which never happens. I don't really understand why there's so much fuss about his assault conviction, the guy has served his time, why cant they just let him be. The media has a way of unfairly persecuting male stars when it comes to issues relating to women, without actually giving the men the benefit of doubt.. i just don't get it.

What if Al-Haymon dies? The same thing happened to Tyson (Who by the way earned more than Floyd has earned so far) when his trainer and manager died, exposing him to wolves like Don King. Anyway i think the times have changed a lot, athletes are smarter these days.

Lol Im sure you'd agree with me that Floyd and Ali are not quite in the same league. Ali was an all-round champion, a man of the people, he was great in and out of the ring, he was a voice for black people and one of the first people to restore black pride however i cant say the same of Floyd, his greatness is confined to the ring, he hasn't really used done anything outside the ring. Even Pacquiao is seen as a national hero in the Philippines as a result of all the good work he's done to help the poor.

What about Miguel Cotto? Pacquiao had a better showing against him than Floyd did, he totally restructured his face whereas floyd couldnt even hurt him.
Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 4:25pm On May 02, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. Tax evasion and Bob Arum pimping him. Check this link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2014/08/22/manny-pacquiao-lands-75-million-blow-in-tax-evasion-case/

That's why I laugh when ignorant folks mock Mayweather for flaunting his wealth, and say he's going to go broke. This guy has a net worth of over $280 million without any endorsement whatsoever and tax problems. Very smart businessman and with the genius of Al Haymon the ghost around you - you can never go broke. So, he knows what he's doing - bad publicity sells, hence all the haters always troop out to buy tickets and PPVs to see him lose - more money in the bank. Do you even know that two of his cars are part of the few cars on the planet that appreciates in value? He bought them for over a milli piece and they're both now worth over 6 milli combined - enough to foot the bill of all the cars he has, with loose change. grin

They don't really test them that much - Vegas is overly corrupt. And Pacman rarely stays in the US, so juicing would've been easy for him. For him to retain his punching after moving up in weight classes, is a pointer. He was juicing up and everyone knew.

How's it painful when it would be done by both parties? They also do it in other sports - so why should boxing be different?

Lol. Pacman never won two fights against Marquez - they rigged it twice. He only won one, and Marquez whooped his ar.se in the other three fights. Go watch those fights on YouTube. But did you see how Mayweather schooled Marquez?

Lol Yeah those his Instagram pics are getting a lot of people really worked up. I personally don't have a problem with him flaunting his wealth, he earned every penny and deserves to do whatever he wants with his money but c'mon if billionaires can go broke, anyone can go broke.

Showing off a couple of cars, jewelleries and a few stacks of cash is not enough to make floyd broke. The guy earns money like no other athlete, he earned $75 million for his last two fights.. It's going to take a really bad decision like marriage to dent his net worth.

He may not be able to read words, but he definitely knows how to read numbers, he's in full control of his money. However, I don't know if I will call Floyd an astute business man, with all that money, there are a lot more business opportunities to be explored which he isn't exploring. In my opinion, his business acumen is not as sharp as that of 50 cent.

That been said, it's easy for floyd to spend without worry right now but after he retires and the money stops coming in bulk, then he's going to have to adjust his spending else he will run into problems sooner or later. I heard few weeks after this fight was announced, he wrote a letter to his team that he would retire after the two fight left in his contract, and won't be able to be everyone's saviour anymore. Smart move I must say. Leeches are the easiest way to bankruptcy.

As long as there's no juice in his blood or urine before or after the fight, then I don't see how it enhances his performance during the fight. Just like bodybuilding, you can only perform better while on the juice but once it's effect clears, you're back to normal while traces of it will linger a little longer in the blood. Not worth it in my opinion.

You know sports don't work that way, it took floyd 10 rounds to beat Hatton but took Pacquiao just 2..

2 Likes

Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 3:11pm On May 02, 2015
SirShymexx:

Pacman was juicing up back then cos it's difficult to move up in weight (to different weight classes) and still retain the same power. Hence he gave excuses about not liking needles. Since his conditioner left him, how many people has he knocked out? And he looks more vulnerable than ever.

It's actually perfect timing for both. Mayweather needs the fight to cement his legacy and add a few hundreds of millions to his almost $300 million net worth, and he's going to retire in September, after his last fight. Pacman is broke - he owes Uncle Sam $75 million, so he needs the money.

The old Pacman is gone - it left him after he stopped juicing up and Marquez knocked him out cold. He shouldn't get too aggressive, else, he'll be knocked out cold again. I don't even think the fight will be as close as most think, trust me.

This is Pacman:

Then how was he able to beat the system this long? These guys are subjected to rigorous testing before & after fights, the system is too sophisticated for drug cheats, no way is anyone (let alone a Filipino) going to pull that off with the kind of millions at stake in these fights.. The boxing cooperations are no mugs, they must have looked into Pacquiao when these allegations were flying around.

Mayweather demanded that Pacquiao be subjected to Olympic style testing which required random blood tests over a period of 3-6 months.. That's just too painful, I wouldn't even agree to it.

As you said, it's difficult to move up weight class and still maintain power but not impossible.

How the hell is Pacquiao broke, are you sure that's true? The guy has career earnings in excess of $200 mill, and he's not as extravagant as floyd so where did all his money go?

Hahaha people keep bringing up this Marquez KO.. you should remember he fought this guy 4 times of which he won 2, drew 1. I think this KO made him a better man, and will make him a better fighter. Don't expect floyd to do this, he's no Marquez and I don't think Pacquiao will be foolishly jumping in like he did there. grin

2 Likes

Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 2:31pm On May 02, 2015
SirShymexx:

Do you actually believe Pacman, even at his peak when he was juiced up, on steroids, can beat Floyd Mayweather? grin

Mayweather has the size advantage, the ring presence, the supreme boxing IQ (arguably the most intelligent boxer ever - he's a scientist and he adapts in the ring), the longer reach, the better counter-puncher, a defensive juggernaut (the greatest defensive boxer ever), and he has too many ways to win.

Pacman;s advantage: he's a Southpaw, punches harder from different angles, and he has heart. Mayweather will knock his ar.se out like Marquez did - the fight won't even go the distance, trust me. grin

A lot of people including myself thought the same but there's no proof of that though. Mayweather camp was unable to provide any evidence of doping when pacqiao dragged him court.

The Pacquiao of 2009/2010 had to be terrifying to any boxer, he was a freak who overwhelmed his opponents with so many punches they couldn't see. Mayweather is a smart business man, he avoids taking unnecessary risks. As supremely intelligent and defensive as he is, facing Pacquiao back then was an unnecessary risk hence he ducked him all these years by setting unrealistic pre-fight conditions.

Floyd had no choice but to take this fight. His numerous pre-fight conditions were met, he wants to retire without having the Pacquiao question hanging over his head, and Pacquiao is obviously not the same fighter he was 5 years ago....... So it's perfect timing for floyd.

Most people are backing floyd to win and rightfully so, the guy is a ring general however the will of Pacquiao shouldn't be underestimated, he's wanted this fight for years and don't be surprised if we see a resurrection of the old Pacquiao.

Its hard to predict the outcome of this fight, anything could happen but floyd is no knockout artist, he doesn't have the punching power like Marquez & Pacquiao, so in my opinion I don't see floyd winning by KO.
Sports / Re: Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao - Boxing by 50calibre(m): 12:45am On May 02, 2015
condralbede:
What will b d Nigerian time meanwhile I believe mayweather will beat pacman.

4am in the morning, Las Vegas is 8 hours behind.
Foreign Affairs / Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by 50calibre(m): 11:25pm On May 01, 2015
SirShymexx:

- Lmao...it is actually laughable that you would think a country like Nigeria expended that much on another country. You don't even need to be a genius to know that the number is ludicrous and it doesn't add up. Let me break it down for you: Nigeria's annual budget when apartheid ended in the 90s can be more than $4 billion. And in the 80s and 70s it should be hundreds of millions in US dollars. So, you mean Nigeria basically gave out $2 billion from let's say the 70s, to when apartheid ended over a period of 30 years, no? And it actually gave more than its annual budget for expenditure on itself during the same period, for about 20 years, running in deficit/debts, while spending nothing on Nigeria, no? I'm sure you understand simple mathematics - you can do the maths to see that the figure doesn't add up. You don't need to be a genius to see that.

- So, you mean Nigeria was singled out of all the other Africa countries to be targeted by whites, on a list compiled by those who were part of the struggle, no? Why did they target only Nigeria and not the other countries? The relationship between South Africa and Zimbabwe isn't that rosy - but the country was listed there. Then if its about competition on the African continent - Egypt and Algeria are in the same league as Nigeria and South Africa. However, Algeria made almost every sector of the list, while Egypt is also listed there. Or perhaps, Nigeria just never played a vital role in the actual struggle, and that's the same reason why the country's isn't also on academic sources as well - apart from Nigerian sources? No conspiracies - post proofs.

- How are you sources not propaganda? You quoted a source that cited a ridiculous amount that Nigeria would never have been able to afford to spend on its own people during that period, even if it tried to, with all the looting/mismanagement that happened. Now imagine spending that on a movement in another country - laughable. Then the other one is a wikipedia source (lol) about lousy 300 passports without even providing the names of any notable person in the anti-apartheid struggle that was exiled in Nigeria. At least if 300 came to Nigeria, there should be a few notable names. How about name them?

- An academic source means scholarship by an academic in an higher institution of learning. I gave you a journal published by a Professor of African studies at a reputable American University. However, you're yet to return the favour - what you gave back in return was a lousy Nigerian source which quoted a ridiculous number and wikipedia. Also, the cynicism in Ann Genova's conclusion was because they gave different reasons for nationalising BP - albeit the claim about apartheid got louder due to the convenience in using that as an excuse. Obviously, you will express scepticism on what the real intent was - that's a no-brainer.

- Mandela also spoke about how Gaddafi was a big brother in the struggle when he came out, but Libya wasn't on the list as well. And he wouldn't know much because he went to prison before Gaddafi became the president of Libya. So if I were you, I'd take whatever Mandela said as just being PC for those who supported him when he came out of prison.

- I believe the UK made the list, despite how pro-apartheid the leaders were, because a lot of ANC folks were exiled in the UK and they had an office in London. Thabo Mbeki for example was exiled in the UK, and a host of others. I believe you have lived long enough in the UK to know that the UK is somewhat liberal regardless of whatever international posturing its foreign policy is operating under. And there are, and have always been tons of leftists/communists/socialists in the UK, especially in the academic class, who are proponents of preserving people's human rights anywhere on the planet. So, ANC had their support and there were anti-apartheid rallies in the UK back then. For example: in the recent case at the UN between Mauritius and the UK about Chagos Archipelago, in which Mauritius won. The country was represented by a Brit.

Lastly, you're a very funny guy. I'm just objective when it comes to issues like this one cos I actually studied African history - pre and post colonisation - with enough scholarship, before I even joined this forum. So, my knowledge about Africa is vast, though I kind of limited how I speak about it, on here. This has absolutely nothing to do with being pro-anyone...I just expected more from a country like Nigeria during that era, but it seems bad leadership and corruption denied the country the greatness it would have achieved if it had been at the forefront of a lot of things, during that turbulent era of African history. I don't take sides when it comes how things happened in the past - humanity is bigger than nationality.

Lol I'm seeing this late, it didn't appear in my mention.

So the few ANC folks exiled in the UK, earned Britain a spot on the list? Lol that's funny!

As much as you (and even I) might not want to admit, you must realise Nigeria was once a leading force in Africa.

Let me give you a quick example: During the Nigerian civil war in the 60s, the UK played a proactive role, funnelling arms and aid to the Nigerian side while Biafran aid supply was blocked, ultimately forcing starvation & disease. Back in the UK, the anti-war sentiment was strong, a lot of folks were opposed to what was considered government's support for genocide of a particular tribe, the most famous of the anti-war crusaders at the time, was John Lennon.

Now google up the Nigerian civil war and checkout what side Britain was on.

My point: A government's foreign policy is what counts, not popular sentiments of its people. The government's official stance is the country's stance. A lot of people in the UK are opposed to the UK's role in imposing sanctions in Russia but doesn't matter.

Maybe the $61Billion is a bit far fetched, but that's not say Nigeria never made substantial contributions. You're not being objective here by deliberately turning a blind eye to the contributions made by Nigeria & Nigerians, you haven't presented me with any tangible source yet, just theories after theories, and things you consider plausible or implausible. Unfortunately, this holds no weight and is therefore undebatable.

To dispute something that most people consider a fact, you've got to present more than just theories.

I've spent more than half my life in the UK, and a reasonable chunk of it in Nigeria as well so I've got excellent perspectives from both sides.The rivalry between Nigeria & South Africa is common knowledge, the acrimonious comments from both Nigerians & South Africans on social media are not just for the fun of it, they're an accurate reflection of the frosty relationship between the two countries.

You claim to have vast knowledge of Africa, I'm not going to dispute that but perhaps you need to explore the Nigeria-SA relationship a bit further, after which I'm sure you'd get the clearer picture of what's actually going on between the two counties. A lot of information is out there already.

Thanks to Xenophobic attacks, we've had a season of verbal attacks on both countries & I'm frankly tired of it now. I've lost steam for this Nigeria-SA debate, both countries hate each other, they have to live with that.

That been said if you can present to me good sources (I'm not even going to ask for academic sources, any source will suffice) to back up your assertions and not just your theories of plausibility & implausibility, then we can go on having this debate else, we can both agree to accept our own versions of history.
Sports / Re: Old Trafford And Emirates Stadium Are Best Grounds In The Premier League by 50calibre(m): 11:31pm On Apr 30, 2015
Pics of old Trafford

Our dressing room, where the magic happens

All taken by my phone.

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by 50calibre(m): 7:36pm On Apr 29, 2015
SirShymexx:

Brev, those aren't academic sources - those are Nigerian propaganda sources based on the lies the Nigerian government told the Nigerian people.

- The first one cited $61 billion. Where did Nigeria get $61 billion from to expend on another country? The highest Nigerian budget ever for a year, in the history of Nigeria, isn't up to $40 billion - that was at the peak of oil prices, when they were extremely/ridiculously high. Heck, even if they were to sell all of Nigeria's stakes in its oil industry - I doubt Nigeria will get $61 billion back for everything. grin

That number is just ridiculous and an outright lie. And that's enough to question the validity of the claim.

- The second source is wikipedia - that is not an academic source. Anyone can go on wiki to post anything there. Okay, let's accept it as an academic source: who were these people? The names of the faces of the struggle are out here - how many of them were exiled in Nigeria? Can you list them?

The academic source, by Ann Genova, in which I provided isn't just some propaganda tool - that's a journal by an academic from Boston University. And a well researched scholarship/journal about African historical studies.

Link here for you: http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/25741399?uid=3738032&uid=2&uid=4&sid=21106636130833

Reference:

Nigeria's Nationalization of British Petroleum - Ann Genova
The International Journal of African Historical Studies
Vol. 43, No. 1 (2010), pp. 115-136
Published by: Boston University African Studies Center

Hahahahaha do you really think this low of Nigeria? Well you must remember that this wasn't a lump sum spent in one fell swoop but spent over a period of more than 30 years of the apartheid struggle.

Nigeria's oil stake is way more than that, it was valued recently.

The Nigerian government didn't tell the Nigerian people any lie, the Nigerian people saw things for themselves, they said things that were corroborated by many black South Africans (including Mandela) if anyone told a lie at all, it's the western governments who tried and howbeit succeeded in white-washing and presenting their own contorted version of history. They've succeeded in erasing the evil role they played in the 50+ years of apartheid, and now they try to tell Africans who were on the frontline what really happened whereas they were not there.

My sources are not propaganda Nigerian websites, one isn't even a Nigerian website and besides they're narratives from people who were around at the time.. Doesn't sound like propaganda to me but lets assume it's true.

Are you seriously hinging your case on this one academic source?

1 - I'm not doubting it's credibility

2 - Ann Genova isn't really saying anything but expressing cynicism... Read it again.

I urge you to show me one academic source where the role of Nigeria is explicitly denied?

I've shown you as much evidence as I could and even shown you perhaps the most tangible evidence (which is Mandela himself speaking) but you've chucked it down to one theory or the other.

I also asked you to give me one clear reason Britain (an open supporter of apartheid) was included in the list but you haven't answered.

Which leads me to believe you've been recruited by the South African government to help in white-washing history grin grin grin which is the only logical explanation I can come up with.

3 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by 50calibre(m): 6:33pm On Apr 29, 2015
SirShymexx:

Brev, I hear that. Granting asylum on the pages of newspapers is one thing - giving it out to people is another thing. I believe the names of all the important folks in ANC, Steve Bantu Biko's black consciousness group et al are out there for folks to search. How many of them were granted asylum in Nigeria? How many those who were trained in guerrilla warfare were trained in Nigeria? There's no academic sources for it, and you can provide it, if you have any. All the names I know were never granted asylum in Nigeria. I believe Mandela was being PC as possible for cordial relationship - and he wasn't even out there at the peak of the struggle. He was in prison and was privy to little or nothing.

The nationalisation of BP was made about apartheid politically - but I doubt that was actually the reason why it was nationalised. Apartheid was just an excuse for convenience. The whole thing was more complicated albeit vague Check the academic source attached to this post below (the highlighted bit).

The imposition of visa requirements on Nigeria by Margaret Thatcher had absolutely nothing to do with tit-for-tat or apartheid. The UK economy was in shambles and they needed to reduce/curb immigration, and that coincided with a period when a lot of the Nigerian middle class were leaving the country en masse to the UK. The brain drain period started then.

We as Nigerians need to look at things critically before always pointing fingers. The world doesn't revolve around Nigeria alone - neither does Africa. Let our actions judge who who are and not our vacuous and overblown sense of arrogance. That's how to maintain cordial relationship with everyone based on mutual respect.

Lol can you cite me one of those academic sources?

Obviously, Nigeria couldn't have granted asylum to every single anti-apartheid activist, Nigeria was just one of the frontline states, there were other countries as well.

The frontline countries provided support in various capacities be it training, logistics, diplomatic or financial support.

As for the source pictured, that's nothing but mere skepticism/speculation from one Ann Genova, it is not fact but journalistic cynicism and it is never to be taken ahead of the official story from the Nigerian government except there's solid evidence to prove other ulterior motives.

As for Margaret Thatcher imposing visa requirements, maybe you're right, that may be been the official reason that was given, so I can't argue on that without any counter evidence however some would say the timing leaves more to be answered.

History cannot be white-washed, if countries like Lesotho & Tanzania can be on the list, then Nigeria double-deserves a mention.

The list even includes Britain (who actually supported the apartheid regime) proving its nothing but a sham and nonsensical list.

Nigerians are cocky, arrogant and even delusional but the truth remains the truth.. And this is one of those cases where sadly, fabricated history cannot replace irrefutable facts.

http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2008/may/261.html

http://www.safpi.org/news/article/2013/south-africa-needs-appreciate-nigeria-s-role-ending-apartheid

http://www.citypress.co.za/columnists/mandela-memorial-nigeria-left/

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by 50calibre(m): 4:53pm On Apr 29, 2015
SirShymexx:
Before folks go on a rampage like blinkered oafs...I think Nigeria should provide solid proofs that it actually supported the anti-apartheid struggle overtly and adequately like all the country listed.

Nigeria is also not listed in all academic sources that I've read about the anti-apartheid struggle. Even Libya and Gaddafi, which appeared in most academic sources isn't on this list. So, whatever "help" they're alluding to here, might be different from whatever you think you gave.

Anyway, I know Nigeria did try to support to Angola during the bloody civil war in that country, against the West and Apartheid SA. But the man who was championing it, Murtala Muhammed, was assassinated before he started - and those who took over were CIA moles who never bothered after that. This one is well documented - but the South African one isn't in any academic source.

And if you want to allude to songs/speeches - a lot of African Americans, and blacks in the new world also did that. But they also didn't get any recognition. So, apply wisdom.

Lol you need to re-check your sources, Nigeria was not just a proactive supporter but a major financier of the anti-apartheid movement. It granted asylums to many black South Africans involved in the struggle, including Mandela.

The guy who mentioned the nationalisation of BP to AP, did so to highlight part of the diplomatic tit-for-tat which ensued after Nigeria pulled out of the commonwealth games in protest against the Thatcher administration's open support of the apartheid regime.

Another retaliatory move on the part of Britain was imposing visa requirements on Nigerians before they could enter Britain... Which was previously not the case. Nigerians used to be able to enter into Britain visa-free till this saga.

All these are verifiable information, they're out there.

Don't you find it ironical that Britain's name was included in that list when the British prime minister at the height of the anti-apartheid struggle (Margaret Thatcher) famously branded Mandela a terrorist?

I'm not always one to support Nigerians and their inflated sense on greatness, but this is a clear move by South Africa to spite Nigeria and re-write their own version of history.

Watch this video, you get a clearer perspective. This was Mandela's first official visit after he left prison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlRMmNhsg9Y

7 Likes

Romance / Re: Her Cousin Impregnated Her,and She Still Insists She Loves Him by 50calibre(m): 3:47pm On Apr 29, 2015
Edusouls:
shameless man,u for Bleep her nahh, why only kissing..u re to worthless to be alive..

One of the religious/hypocritical hot heads I was talk about. Loool this made me laugh so loud. So if I fuc*ked her, how does that concern you?

Well if you must know, I didn't actually get to do that because I was scared. But in hindsight, I wish I did! If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely fuc*k her.

Now feel free to kill yourself grin

1 Like

Romance / Re: Her Cousin Impregnated Her,and She Still Insists She Loves Him by 50calibre(m): 3:42pm On Apr 29, 2015
anitank:

Lol really

The op was shocked by the revelation. He'd probably die finding out there are more cousins dating themselves in secrete than he ever imagined.

But I still think it shouldn't be encouraged. I mean what's the point if they can't get married

Of course it shouldn't be but when you keep 2 growing adults (male & female) things happen. It's just nature.

Besides who the hell said cousins can have intimate relations? Siblings!? I understand but cousins, I don't. Since most Africans derive their standard of morality from the bible, I challenge anyone to show me where the bible prohibits marriage between cousins... As a matter of fact, the bible has numerous examples married cousins such Isaac & Rebekah, Esau & Mahalath.. So where does this fake law come from?

I tell people that in an ideal world, I could have married my cousin, some say I'm crazy but they don't understand.

So I can't understand the fake outrage and shock from these hypocritical folks when worse atrocities are perpetrated in Nigeria

1 Like

Romance / Re: Her Cousin Impregnated Her,and She Still Insists She Loves Him by 50calibre(m): 12:23pm On Apr 29, 2015
Lolz Nigerians are just over dramatic. What's the abomination here, she's a cousins not a sister, she's female, he's male so what's the big deal? In many parts of Asia and the Middle East, cousins marry.

You guys can't lie that you never had a pretty cousins you used to fantasise about.

As a teenager, I had a pretty cousin with one of the hottest bodies I've ever seen. We grew up together and she kept getting better & better damn!!! At a point we couldn't keep hands off each other, heck!! We used to play kissing games in the presence of my mum when she's not looking... We loved the thrill.

Maybe I'm a perv but so what?

3 Likes

Crime / Re: 20 Year Old Nigerian Man Shot Dead In UK by 50calibre(m): 11:38am On Apr 29, 2015
cococandy:

Are you comparing number of violent incidences in Peckham (a city) to the whole of America a conglomerate of cities? Actually the better half of a continent?

How will the number be close?

Pick one city in America and compare to Peckham then maybe that could work.

Anyway I don't think anyone can say there are no ghettos in America but how many times do we hear news of Nigerians killed in America as a result of hood related violence?
You've to understand why that of Peckham seems sensational.
The peculiarity of their cases make them stand out.

Lolz even at that, Peckham has a relatively lower crime rate than most American cities (not just ghettos) I can guarantee you that.

You would also find that most crimes in Peckham and all other parts of the UK are mostly made up of anti-social behaviours, as well as other forms of non-violent crimes.

I know that the news can sometimes blow things out of proportion but you should know that Nigerians get killed in the US too. There was a guy on NL some years ago.. Bawomolo (search his moniker on NL) he used to boast of how safe he was in America. Unfortunately this promising young man was shot down in Chicago. All I'm trying to say is; Nigerians aren't immune in America, you only know what you hear.

What about the men killing their Nigerian wives, how many times this year have we heard such story?
Crime / Re: 20 Year Old Nigerian Man Shot Dead In UK by 50calibre(m): 11:26am On Apr 29, 2015
Truckpusher:
During his reign freedom of expression was so common that he deliberately allowed opposition to flourish.

Freedom of speech is your fundamental human right, you were born with it. it's not Jonathan's to give, I can't understand why people applaud him for that.

Jonathan was naive to allow freedom of speech because that ultimately proved his undoing. His government wasn't the type that should have allowed such because that meant people were free to highlight his failures.

He made our Agricultural sector reforms a reality - Which is my next line of target,too much money to be made bro.

Ok this perhaps the best thing I admit Jonathan did throughout his tenure

He privatized the power sector and embark on a building spree of ultra modern power stations.

Yet there's still shortage of electricity, Yet Nigeria still has one of the lowest rates of net electricity generation per capita in the world.

Be honest, did you have electricity last night? If yes have you had stead electricity since Monday?

He brought back our railway system that has gone comatose for years, no thanks to Buhari whose administration destroyed.

So you consider those WW2 contraptions a development? For all the billions Jonathan loaned from China, was that the best his administration could provide? Lol I want you to compare those things you guys call trains to the ones used by other developing country.

He introduced the FOI bill in Aso Rock which all APC states are yet to allow in their various states.
He went on a nationwide reformation spree of our dilapidated airports even as enemies of progress ensured that the lady that was responsible for such unlikely massive project was booted out.

The same woman who ordered two bullet proof cars at an inflated cost of N250 million each? In that case she got if lightly because in functional societies that woman would be cooling off in her jail cell long after she's refunded every penny she stole.

You're yet to take off your sentimental glasses and see Jonathan's administration for what it really was. Now I expect you to tell me the woman was innocent, and it was just a story concocted by her enemies.

He rebuilt the Ibadan ore express way that has become a national embarrassment.
He rebuilt the East West road
that has been rewarded and abandoned by past administration.
I can go on and on but the truth is that people won't see it now and until the incoming administration outperforms his performance he still remains the best so far.

Again these are the basics, no government should take credit for providing the basics, that's what they're there to do. Are the expectations of Nigerians that low?

Maybe its the best to sentimental folks like you, but the statistics tell a different story.

Lest I forget ,he gave us a free and fair election and when it was obvious that he was out-rigged he simply accepted defeat without making any inciting statement considering the regional politics of Nigeria.

The election wasn't strictly free & fair, Jonathan just wasn't able to rig elections in most state. You can't tell me a man who went on a dollar-sharing spree few months to the election, wasn't desperate and couldn't have rigged himself in if he had the chance.

The odds were just stacked against Jonathan, and being the coward that he is, he had no choice but to go peacefully for fear of receiving the Gbagbo treatment.... at least that would serve as a mitigating factor in any future prosecution.

Now tell me, what else would he have done to satisfy your conscience?

He could have shown more empathy to the plight of the people, thousands of people are being slaughtered everyday and this man couldn't care less.

Almost 300 girls were abducted from their schools and instead of swinging into action immediately, this man openly denied it ever happened (a major failure on his part, it showed a clueless leader out of touch with reality) he even tried to use the #BringBackOurGirls as a campaign slogan.

He allowed his barbarian wife to go around the country causing havoc, acting like a constitutional figure, usurping herself as a godmother no one dare challenge.

Few hours after a major bomb blast which killed hundreds of people (the Internet was inundated with horrid pics) this man went dancing..

The CBN governor blew the whistle on a missing $20 billion but in return Jonathan sacked him for exposing corruption.

This same Jonathan opened his mouth to utter ridiculous statements like "stealing is not corruption" "terrorism is everywhere"

This same man granted pardons to convicted criminals, awarded contracts to militants... Infact Jonathan not only encouraged criminality, he rewarded it.

Look I can go on and on...

The only thing Jonathan did that I was truly satisfied with, was signing the anti-gay law.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 196 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.