Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,757 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. (83355 Views)

Foreigners Troop To Nigeria As Citizens Japa In Search Of Greener Pastures / Kenyan Who Went To Saudi In Search For A Greener Pasture Returns With 2 Kids / From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. PART 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Btruth: 5:22pm On Jun 01, 2019
Pavore9:

A good number of them for Yahoo yahoo.
ah! Okay.
Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jun 01, 2019
Shikena:
Migration is an expression of the human aspiration for dignity, safety and a better future...
History in its broadest aspect is a record of man's migrations from one environment to another.
Follow your heart, pursue your dreams and face your challenges like a man but respect the choice of those that are fine with where their ancestors stopped their history of migration. The choice of the migrant must also be respected. It is all a matter of choice, no right or wrong. It will work well for some and not so, for others. Life goes on!
gbam
Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by k4kenny(f): 5:25pm On Jun 01, 2019
dominique:

He has modified one of his last posts, the complete story is on page 2. Thank God he's back home safe and sound. This should serve as a lesson to others that the grass is NOT always greener on the other side.

Thanks jare, I've read it too. There's no such thing as easy money anywhere. You have to work hard for it! Anyone lavishing money anyhow most likely got it through suspicious means. Besides Ghana is fast becoming the hub of ritual money. Most of their money ritualists even have Facebook pages where they advertise. I won't be surprised if our people have gotten involved in it.

4 Likes

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Nemesis0147(m): 5:25pm On Jun 01, 2019
I experienced something similar@op but I ThankGod for my life today

1 Like

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by blackgold2018(m): 5:26pm On Jun 01, 2019
Gforce2019:

Nah today? I remember similar story told by a friend heading to UK , on landing at the airport , after all the due process, the guy called his childhood friend, and the friend switch off his fone. Thank God that the guy brought enough money for lodging and food
but Op really made a terrible mistake. B4 I came to Lagos, a friend of mine promised me heaven n earth.
On my arrival his number was unavailable. But I prepared myself Both financially n contacted other friends on my arrival. So I didn't depend solely on one friend and I had plenty money with me.

1 Like

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Btruth: 5:28pm On Jun 01, 2019
ultron12345:

And where exactly have you being to? I've been to the best parts of the world, but I'll still come back home.

I have health insurance and access to good private healthcare in Nigeria. Do monthly medical checkups, so anything is dealt with before it becomes serious. Electricity in my location is good. Once the electricity goes off, the generator comes on automatically. I don't have to give away more than half of my income as taxes and other government fees. I just use a tiny portion of it for diesel and other things.

I can visit abroad for a week or 2 and come back home.

At least, I have peace of mind here. Unlike in another man's land where more than half of your income is taken away by the government in the name of property, environmental, and automobile taxes. Another mans land where they'll use little bits of racism to frustrate daily you or you can even be shot down while taking a stroll.
Sir, not everybody dey lucky like you. But all we want our government to try and do for the people is "better the economy" of Nigeria. Nigerians are not lazy, we can manage whatever we have.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Damoche10: 5:29pm On Jun 01, 2019
My younger sister experienced almost same fate when she went visiting the UK. Only to get to Heathrow Airport her friend's number was switched off for days. Omo, she finished her money paying for hotel bills o.

They come to naija to tell tales of how made they are abroad only to get there to find out they are struggling. She met the lady "my chance" later before her departure...that is another story on its own. Wasn't funny at all for her to be stranded in a no man's land

10 Likes

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 01, 2019
Freehuman:

He's a fraudster. The format he is using is called visa format. He will get a Canadian or Us number from a free app. Open whatsapp or social media contacts with it, use Vpn, produce fake visas and he parts away with your money.
wait oo scammers now fake visas too?

2 Likes

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Sarang(f): 5:32pm On Jun 01, 2019
Reading and learning so much. You must have suffered mahn. Glad for your safety
Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Handsomebb: 5:36pm On Jun 01, 2019
So pathetic but I'm happy for u man.
Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by belloabd1914(m): 5:39pm On Jun 01, 2019
Did you later hear from your friend who was suppose to accommodate you in Accra

1 Like

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by justwise(m): 5:40pm On Jun 01, 2019
DonFebzyBlog:

I was so grateful to God for everything and that was how I found myself back home. I have been putting myself together and glory to God I now have a phone which I am using to type this story. I look forward to God that kept me safe all through that experience because I know he has better and bigger plans for me.

I believe I will be a testimony to many very soon.

This is my true life experience, I never made it to Abidjan but I came back home alive.

Though it did not workout but you have learned a valuable lesson, you made a good decision to return back to Nigeria to pick yourself up again.
Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jun 01, 2019
idu1:

Share the link to that diary. I want to see.
just go through my logobenz profile
Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by idu1(m): 5:41pm On Jun 01, 2019
nwanneni:
just go through my logobenz profile
OK thanks
Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by queengift(f): 5:42pm On Jun 01, 2019
OP, your story is a huge lesson to all, don't trust anyone, always travel with extra money for transport coming back
Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by mekuso89(m): 5:44pm On Jun 01, 2019
I almost felt sick reading this story
Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Reeses: 5:45pm On Jun 01, 2019
I can't stop laughing I know it sounds mean but damn bro and I am not even done reading it yet..
Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by manny4u(m): 5:51pm On Jun 01, 2019
Iyajelili:
This story of yiursust be fictional because I can't imagine someone passing through this shit in real life
That means you know nothing about life, I've seen someone suffer worst even here in Nigeria.
Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jun 01, 2019
Op, I really felt bad about what you went through in Ghana. I have always advised folks in Nigeria, if you don't have a good means (reasonable cash and legal documents) to travel out of Nigerian, please don't risk your life. Things have changed a lot all over the world. Legal immigrants are being frowned at, how much more illegal ones. A word is enough for the wise! And stop trusting friends, they will fail you at the worst time in your life. Trust only yourself and your family!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 01, 2019
lefulefu:
wait oo scammers now fake visas too?

Of course, there are fake visas all over. How do you think a man will part with close to 500,000 naira if he didn't receive something that looked genuine (a counterfeit) ? They (scammers) pose as travel agents. They tell you to go apply at the embassy especially when they know the embassy of that country wouldn't offer you an entry visa. When you wait for two months without a call, they call you and tell you a convincing story. They even get your documents like national passport, qualifications, medical reports, security reports and tell you not to pay them a dime until you receive your visa. They even show you visas( fake visas) that people are about to collect from them. It's all a psychological thing. After being so patient they come up with your documents and give you the link to a cloned website to verify. When you log in your details, you see your documents exactly (like you're checking for your jamb result and NYSC posting). When you confirm it from the website under a controlled atmosphere you pay them and they run with your money.

By the way, that's just one way. There are many ways.

12 Likes

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Haykinsofficial: 5:55pm On Jun 01, 2019
DonFebzyBlog:

The comments are much so go back to page 2. I modified it and concluded there.
Cool. Thanks
Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by DonFebzyBlog(m): 6:00pm On Jun 01, 2019
belloabd1914:
Did you later hear from your friend who was suppose to accommodate you in Accra

Not in a lifetime.

2 Likes

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Ten06(m): 6:01pm On Jun 01, 2019
DonFebzyBlog:
We all stayed in one kind of abandoned open shop close to the church. Unlike most of the guys that were picking pure water sachet in the circle area, the guys here were doing more of hard labour like bricklayer work, offloading goods from containers because that area is an industrial area so there are many warehouses around. Many of them have been there for long so they had their connection and knew when jobs were coming up. I tried to get involved with anything I could do so I can survive but yet again everyone would always tell me I can't do those kind of jobs. I will force them to take me but at the end the supervisor will still reject me. I felt really bad but then I had to get back to my usual begging which was obviously the only one that favoured me. Somehow I really felt like God was with me because I never imagined doing those kind of jobs and God didn't allow me do it. Sometimes when they have church services am always looking for you to beg until one day one man told me he will report to the pastor because the pastor warned that if anyone is caught begging they should report security and arrest the person.

Let me try to cut the long story short so I don't have to write in different pages.
Staying at that shop space close to the church was a nightmare because when rain falls at night we are practically sleeping under the rain. The mosquito bite at night is terrible. The shocking thing was how new people come almost everyday with the same story of how someone ran with their money or how their money got missing at the border and we will all have to stay in that place together. Mind you we can only stay there at night because during the day it's in front of a factory and that's were their workers sit down during their break. So during the day we all have to disappear from there but our bags are there and we cover them with the cartons we spread on the floor to sleep. I had tried so hard to raise money to get back to Nigeria but it only seems I can just find money to eat and do little things and that was it. I had to make enquiries about the Nigerian embassy in Ghana and then I got the address. So one day I went to the Embassy and explained my situation. The man I met there was really so nice and helpful. He told me they will send my issue to the ambassador because I told them I needed to go and I had no were to stay if they don't attend to me that day and find money for me. Unfortunately they said the ambassador had an urgent meeting so he will have to see it tomorrow and any amount he approves they will let me know. I thought about going back to sleep in that store and I said not today, so I gave my usual pity face and said I don't have anywhere to stay. So they allowed me sleep somewhere inside the embassy. That was the best sleep I have had in ages and the best bath I had taken that night. It was like I should not come out the bathroom and they oven put AC for me but I put it off later because my body was not use to AC anymore. I felt so alive again praying and hoping they give me money to go.
The next day I got a very bad news that the ambassador didn't approve any money because Buhari has not released money to the embassy. I actually almost fainted because I could not imagine going back to that store house after sleeping in the embassy so I pleaded with the man to help me in anyway. Very nice man I will never forget. He told me to wait, he was going to rag all the workers and see what he could get for me. That was how he was able to raise 200ghc for me and then told me I should not use the naija buses because the money won't be enough but I should use the short cut which he wrote on paper for me. From Accra to Aflao, I cross through the back gate and enter Togo. From Togo to Seme and then to Mile 2.

I was so grateful to God for everything and that was how I found myself back home. I have been putting myself together and glory to God I now have a phone which I am using to type this story. I look forward to God that kept me safe all through that experience because I know he has better and bigger plans for me.

I believe I will be a testimony to many very soon.

This is my true life experience, I never made it to Abidjan but I came back home alive.
Pls how can we help you to thank the good Samaritan? Cos I was almost crying when reading your story. Guy I have been there before but it was in PH, Nigeria.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by alexola20(m): 6:01pm On Jun 01, 2019

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Rollins777(m): 6:04pm On Jun 01, 2019
Who told you it is a fiction? Travel and see, who nor go nor know.

Iyajelili:
This story of yiursust be fictional because I can't imagine someone passing through this shit in real life

1 Like

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by DonFebzyBlog(m): 6:04pm On Jun 01, 2019
Ten06:

Pls how can we help you to thank the good Samaritan? Cos I was almost crying when reading your story. Guy I have been there before but it was in PH, Nigeria.

He is always at the reception stand at the embassy. He is the only person there most times that attend to people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by DonFebzyBlog(m): 6:08pm On Jun 01, 2019
alexola20:

I was traveling through London,I'd be having like 17 hours transit at Heathrow airport,so I told my friend of many years that he could join me at Heathrow for a hangout.
Of course I didn't have UK Visa but I was given 24hours stamp on my passport as I arrived at Heathrow.
So I connected to airport wifi and message my friend. O boy na so the guy read my messages and ignored it with no response.I was so surprised and just smiled as I was having more than enough money on me and flight the follow morning was to Lagos.
The money I could have spent had it been my friend showed up,I just enter duty free in the morning and shopped for whatever i liked.
I still thank him for not showing up.But this taught me a great lesson.And he has become 5th class friend in my life.

You even put him as 5th class friend. This my so called friend has no space in my life anymore and I know by the time we ever meet again he will be ashamed to see who I have become. Maybe he is still suffering there which mad him hide is head.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Amalekki: 6:12pm On Jun 01, 2019
ultron12345:

At least, I have peace of mind here. Unlike in another man's land where more than half of your income is taken away by the government in the name of property, environmental, and automobile taxes. Another mans land where they'll use little bits of racism to frustrate daily you or you can even be shot down while taking a stroll.
I will gladly pay 50% of my income as tax to make Nigeria work like many countries abroad. I recently saw a video of the international airport in Dakar, Senegal and the Senegalese Airline, I felt bad for Nigeria even as a Nigerian. Migration from Nigeria might not work for some but it is justified. Even if you live well in Nigeria, the polluted air outside, bad roads & the rots across board are the heavy price that you pay indirectly, like it or not. Your big man life is average regular life in most countries abroad.

15 Likes

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Viccisimua: 6:13pm On Jun 01, 2019
Thanks for sharing this, pray others will pick a thing or 2. .... thank God for yr life too. I visited the US sometime and this particular secondary school classmate saw my pics on FB and got angry with me for NOT putting up with her and that my next visit to the US must be her house. Then another visit I stayed in NY while she was in NJ. She kept insisting I take a bus down, i decided to go say hi while I shopped in Jersey. She asked I called her immediately I entered her city. Guess what? I called so many times but she never picked or call back or apologize till date. So imagine if I had decided to stay at her place originally? Wouldn’t that have been another story? Anyway I wouldn’t have been careless to travel to another country not well prepared financially. ... I guess, like they say, it’s “human nature”

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Frying Pan To Fire In Search Of Greener Pastures. My True Life Experience. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jun 01, 2019
@ 01 Image Caption, we know ImageSpeaks. please always tell your story with am image. waiting for you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply)

Owerri: Home Of Hotels, Shopping Malls And Club Houses (Photos) / Man Swims From His House To Friends Place In Jakande Estate, Lekki (Video) / Kechi Okwuchi: Throwback Photo Of Sosoliso Air Crash Survivor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.