Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,874 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw (65103 Views)

How Do I Change My Seat On Qatar Airways? / Nurse Who Visited Nigeria Over 35 Years Ago Moves Man To Tears In UK. Photos / Train Crushes Man To Death In Ikeja (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by NnwachukuOkike: 2:56pm On Jun 24, 2019
Boboye4slim:

What a sensible reader of the story shouldve asked before blaming the old man for being entitled is "did the prof not stood up when the boy demand for his seat?" The writer said he stood up. Whatelse do you want him to do? Not like he was arguing and claiming that he has right to the seat because of his status or old age. He simply stood up for the boy and vet another seat

What that his seat's tag? Does it mean that Prof Soyinka didn't have seat number?

I hope another seat he vet for don't belong to another passengers.

NIGERIAN LEADERS DON'T OBEYS RULES OF LAW.

2 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 24, 2019
Muttee:
Naa waa oooo..

No respect for elder.

Well, respect they say is given to those who respect themselves. That young man would have been the biggest fool on earth if he had allowed his rights to be violated by that old arrogant man who thinks he is entitled to anything just because he is wole soyinka.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 24, 2019
superability:
Apostle Joshua Selman of Koinonia once had similar encounter with Prof Soyinka too.
The air hostess wanted even tell Prof Soyinka to stand up, but Apostle rebuked her that she should respect the man that he will seat on any available seat.
African values is fasting fading away.

Lest I forget tomorrow is Apostle Joshua Selman's birthday
Modified
Apostle Joshua Selman isn't Adebayo Shola or Ciroma Abraham or Osagie Eket. These are different being hence using cultural norm as a cheap blackmail is uncalled for.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by NnwachukuOkike: 3:00pm On Jun 24, 2019
maxzzo1:

Na all this elders spoil this country simple rules they can't keep Wetin dey vex me na Tonye Cole wen wan be governor tnk God him fail na so him go dey disrespect n dey bully people chai

Tonye Cole, that actress and their supporters are all political sycophants.

In my country we were raised to respect elders, but not lawless elders. Thank God I'm not a Nigerian.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 24, 2019
First off, those who derailed from the message and instead turned this into a tribal war as usual, you are all STUPID. And to the mods, you all should be ashamed of yourselves too. Continue allowing such nonsense, until nairaland gradually loses its value. Every news on nairaland is always filled with tribal fools. And still nothing is being done.This is not the Nairaland I used to know way back as at 2007 I started reading.

Back to the matter., if this was a British airline flight say from Heathrow to maybe the US,and a white person was assigned the window seat, will Wole Soyinka have exchanged seats and expect the so called white person to accord him the respect because he is an elderly..
You earn respect, it’s not a right? He should have waited for the guy to come then ask if he could allow him seat next to the window., it’s as simple as that. The guy did no wrong to me.

And to all those who talks about value this ,and cultural that,keep dwelling on religious cultural and ethnic values while the world keeps leaving us behind.
That is why Africa is still the way it is because we think prayer will always solve our issues, while the western world is advancing.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Taiwo20(m): 3:03pm On Jun 24, 2019
COULD BE A RIVAL CULTIST
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Mocok7: 3:04pm On Jun 24, 2019
Born2Breed:

“Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger” (Ephesians 6:4)

An elder that respects himself,will never break rules.
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, PROUD, blasphemers, DISOBEDIENT TO PARENTS, unthankful, unholy,
Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
Traitors, HEADY, HIGHMINDED, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

2 Timothy 3:1-4.

Those who have ears let them hear.
Shalom.

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by livebyday(m): 3:05pm On Jun 24, 2019
IjebuAssasin:

So you consider this an insult? You need immediate check up, bro!

Noted

Cheers
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by semyman: 3:05pm On Jun 24, 2019
Do what you preach
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by realist1234: 3:09pm On Jun 24, 2019
Mr Tonye Cole is a bloody hypocrite. See him pretending to have high morals. It costs the young man nothing to switch seats and Soyinka is not privileged to the seat he dint pay for. I feel the young man messed up. But please Tonye shut up, you have no moral high ground to preach what you dont practise.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by permit(m): 3:13pm On Jun 24, 2019
Collins4u1:
How can you take my seat and I ask for it you're saying I disrespected the person. Did he pay for my flight?

Common getup from my sit..
grin grin
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jun 24, 2019
Thus is the second I'm hearing that this man took someone's seat on a flight. The first person honourably let him sit. Is it a habit or temptation?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Kingbenn(m): 3:16pm On Jun 24, 2019
The young ain't rude mehn! I can only label him rude if his manner of approach is out of the context, he is only fighting for his right, if I'm in his shoe then I'm gonna do the same just that I'm gonna do it with respect Cox courtesy demand we respect our elders .
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jun 24, 2019
Venerable612:
The fact that everyone on the front page seems to think the guy is right - shows that something is fundamentally wrong with this generation.

In Yoruba land. There is no such thing as Rights when an Elder is involved; Unless it works injustice. But it doesn’t worth a thing to allow the old man after pleas from people in the flight. Give honour to whole honour is due. If not for old age - but for his reputation. Everything goes round in this world.

I think he is just a proud person.
What that Mr Cole post was wrong. You don't use religion, tribe or culture to score cheap blackmail. This is what our politicians have been using that is why they get away with things. Respect is earned not assumed as you implied. You should have asked if any other person in that plane gave the same space the young man fought for instead of using culture as a cheap tool to score point.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by ProT: 3:17pm On Jun 24, 2019
We derive joy in supporting nonsense in this country; instead of the guy to be applauded for standing for his right, some hypocrites are bashing him.

I love Soyinka, I might have allowed him sit on my seat if I were in the guy's shoe; but that is me, and he is him.

The young man did the right thing; people should stop intimidating others because of their influence or age.

There is a reason why the seats are numbered; it doesn't matter whether it is Buhari, or even my father, people just have to play by the rules, that is how great countries come about.

Imagine for a second, it was the young man who sat on Soyinka's seat.

The f*cking state of the human who posted this on social media..

2 Likes

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by eddybongo101: 3:23pm On Jun 24, 2019
I don't understand why the noise, the young man got his seat assigned to him via the flight ticket..... It has nothing to do with respect. We over dramatic on this issue. It should not even make front page. Dz one no be news

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by ProT: 3:25pm On Jun 24, 2019
sparko1:

Its is very easy to identify you, how does supporting Buhari have anything to do with value system, when an old man is sitting, I don't know where you are from, you can't ask the old man to stand up. The sit might be yours, like it was assigned, if there were no sits in the plane and he was occupying yours, and you see he is an old man, the best you will do is to go to the cabin crew and report, they will sort it out.

You might think, yes, because he is a yoruba man, if it was Achebi that was treated that way, what would have be your response.
We as a country should be very careful, our core value system should not be viewed with politic and sentiments.

There is something called DISCRETION; the young guy decided to play by the rules without regard to SENTIMENTS; please don't begrudge him.

He IS right for seeking what is his; if there was any need for those traditional sentiments, I think there wudn't have been laid-down rules, we would have resorted to those sentiments.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by deafeyez: 3:25pm On Jun 24, 2019
Nbote:
U ppl blaming d young man are all mad.... Why didn't anyone else in d plane stand up for him to sit on their window seats? D young man specifically paid for dat seat and reserves d ryt to seat on it... Dats why we are where we are in dis country... Someone does d wrong thing and hides behind age, religion and it's alryt

What baffled me is that Mr Cole, condemning the action of the boy.

Let us assume the young man told Wole, hey sir, you are on my seat. Wole's response would have been"Sorry young man for inconveniencing you but if you permit me please, I would love to sit here".
If the boy reject, he leaves the seat.
Why are people begging when its not a fight. It's only a fight if Wole is attracting public sympathy and using age as a cover to steal the young man's position.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Munzy14(m): 3:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
If am the man, prof must stand up from that seat.
We are all allocated seat on boarding the flight, No just reason for occupying someone's space.
FIGHT FOR UR RIGHT, Don't allow the Cole, abudus and henshaws be the nay sayers in ur fight for ur right.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Born2Breed(f): 3:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
Mocok7:

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, PROUD, blasphemers, DISOBEDIENT TO PARENTS, unthankful, unholy,
Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

Shalom.

grin @bolded.

Hypocrites!!!
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jun 24, 2019
Mocok7:

Shalom.

The scriptures the young man posted was correct and best suit his argument however yours is out of context because you are circumventing it. The scriptures is clear on parent not provoking their children. The book of Ephesian where he cited gave a balance approach to how the society should run. Let me ask you this question, would you oppress a person because the scripture says honour your father?
Coming to the above scriptures you quote in 2 Timothy 3:1-4, why did you pick one aspect of the verses without discussing those quoted verses?. Didn't the accused person committed the same verse you quoted?
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by sonofElElyon: 3:29pm On Jun 24, 2019
Soyinka should have asked the guy's permission before sitting.
I am sure the guy felt cheated.
No record of Soyinka asking the guy humbly to leave him to remain on the seat.. Only of other passengers and crew members pleading with the guy..
Appears Soyinka has a feeling of entitlement.. Wrong!

Muttee:
Business executive, Tonye Cole narrated an incident he witnessed on a plane between renowned writer Wole Soyinka and a Nigerian man.

Tonye Cole said Mr Wole Soyinka got on the plane and took the window seat. When the young man assigned the seat boarded, he insisted Mr Soyinka leaves his seat. Others on the plane, including the crew members, begged the young man to let the Nobel Laureate have his seat. But the man insisted on sitting where he was assigned.

Mr Cole said this is an indication that our value system has been eroded and youths no longer have repect for elders. Ms Mo Abudu and Kate Henshaw commented, agreeing with him that the young man's behaviour was unacceptable.

https://all-gists..com/2019/06/unusual-encounter-between-soyinka-and-a-plane-passenger-tony-cole-others-reacts.html
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by LordIsaac(m): 3:30pm On Jun 24, 2019
Prof or no... As long as I wouldn't tell my dad to stand up under such circumstances, I wouldn't tell prof to stand too. It's not a child's play to be 80+ and still be able to move around. The guy was insensitive! It is not everything that is right that is expedient.
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Kim1: 3:30pm On Jun 24, 2019
HE DON DO!!! IS GOOD TO KNW ND FIGHT FOR UR RIGHT BUT DO IT WITH RESPECT COS WHAT U SOW U SHALL REAP......IN THE SPIRIT OF FIGHTING FOR OUR RIGHT LETS JOIN HANDS TOGETHER ND MAKE NiGERiA GREAT AGAIN.....
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jun 24, 2019
Temple1288:

Let thunders from Otobo's left breast and Danielle Okeke's big booty strike you and your Apostle!
Joshua Selman and Johnson Suleman are not the same please. Essay bro
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Venerable612(m): 3:35pm On Jun 24, 2019
asuustrike1:

What that Mr Cole post was wrong. You don't use religion, tribe or culture to score cheap blackmail. This is what our politicians have been using that is why they get away with things. Respect is earned not assumed as you implied. You should have asked if any other person in that plane gave the same space the young man fought for instead of using culture as a cheap tool to score point.

Exactly what I am saying. Education and western ideals is the problem here. The whole point was that He asked the man to stand up from his seat. It doesn’t matter that anyone else offered him - He asked Wole Soyinka to stand up from his seat.

Again, Two things are at play. Elder & Reputation. If respect in this sense is not assumed I don’t know what else is. That’s culture - it’s got nothing to do with entitlement or civil rights! If he is Yoruba - Omo ale jati jati Niru won. He should go and ask his father to stand up from the seat because he paid for it. sad
Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by bigiyaro(m): 3:35pm On Jun 24, 2019
I don't know if he sat there by mistake, but if he purposely sat there, knowing fully well that the sit belongs to someone else, then he can go fvck himself, it's the so called elders that raised this fvcked up society in the first place by intensionally and purposely doing the wrong thing.

1 Like

Re: Young Man To Wole Soyinka: Leave My Seat - Tonye Cole, Mo Abudu, Kate Henshaw by Boboye4slim(m): 3:36pm On Jun 24, 2019
Juliusmalema:

Don't blame the blogger. Blame Lord lugard for joining me and you in this rubbish called a country. That an old man don't know what is right or wrong or as a professor he can't count numbers again.

Imagine step by step you defending soyinka ,guess because he is a Yoruba man and at the end blaming bloggers....naaa blame Lord lugard for what he created and call it a country.

Very pathetic and appalling analysis.....no wonder nothing works because every action as far as it concerns your people is right.

Only God knows what triggered you this much. Lord lugard has done what he did. Not my problem. Anyone can make a mistake, you cant tell me you've never for once made a mistake. People sit on different seats everytime on planes if there are vacant spaces. He probably felt the passenger wasnt available and when he found out he was, man respect stood up. This isn't a tribal war. Im not into that. Tribe dont make me who i am. I am human and i have sense. The way of kife evrywhere is the same. Human want the same thing. Freedom and fulfiment. Tribe is only about language and background culture. But even that can be learnt now, theres nothing special about it anymore. face your life and stop throwing petty tribal fight online. You can do better. Lets all move on

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Awka Flyovers Illuminating At Night / Visa To Mauritius / UK: Changes To Visa, Immigration Rules Effective October 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.