Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,009 members, 7,810,799 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd (36976 Views)

All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court / 4 Money Problems In Nigerian Marriages To Avoid / Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by lexy2014: 7:42pm On Jul 24, 2019
thesicilian:
I beg to differ. As long as a bride price has been paid and traditional rites performed, that marriage is fully legal.

Customary law fully recognises traditional marriage. There's no problem with that. Its church marriage that has an issue with
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by erico2k2(m): 7:43pm On Jul 24, 2019
thesicilian:
I beg to differ. As long as a bride price has been paid and traditional rites performed, that marriage is fully legal.
Not in the eyes of the Law.

2 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by lexy2014: 7:44pm On Jul 24, 2019
Yankee101:
They're marrying by christian standards not court standards.

All the traditional weddings before the country was even founded nko?

People make processes, processes don't make people

Theres what is called customary law. It gives legal backing to traditional marriage
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by erico2k2(m): 7:44pm On Jul 24, 2019
lexy2014:

Customary law fully recognises traditional marriage. There's no problem with that. Its church marriage that has an issue with
Not really, U have to register your marriage

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by erico2k2(m): 7:45pm On Jul 24, 2019
lexy2014:

Theres what is called customary law. It gives legal backing to traditional marriage
bro take that to the Embassy you will know different

3 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by robosky02(m): 7:45pm On Jul 24, 2019
thesicilian:

Gbam

After all the gbedu...

Any other thing na grammer

2 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Duggedised12(f): 7:46pm On Jul 24, 2019
sacramento1212:

In the Catholic Church for instance, once you are issued a certificate, it's recognized. Some mushroom churches certificates won't fly in the aspect of legality
ok, still prefer registry to any church catholic or whatever .
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Akainzo(m): 7:47pm On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
I just tire for this people. grin

He wants to tell us he knows more than the Ministry of Interior. I guess some of them don't know what's meant by 'Statutory requirement'.

Traditional marriages are legal in Nigeria under the Marriage Act of 1990.

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Alejobs: 7:48pm On Jul 24, 2019
Don't forget your mum's advice? She is speaking from a place of love and experience
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by lexy2014: 7:49pm On Jul 24, 2019
erico2k2:

bro take that to the Embassy you will know different

U dont marry because of embassy. U marry because u want to marry. D issue here is not all churches can conduct marriage without a license from govt. That is different with traditional marriage. Marry as u like

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 24, 2019
afroniger:
If not for foreign embassy things, marriage certificates don't really mean much.
in my community we get certificate from the king palace during the traditional marriage.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by lexy2014: 7:51pm On Jul 24, 2019
erico2k2:

Not really, U have to register your marriage

Am not saying u shouldn't register it. That's y people go to court to obtain a certificate. Am saying that as compared to church wedding traditional wedding is covered under d Customary laws of Nigeria and can b conducted without let, any time, anywhere

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 24, 2019
hisgrace090:
Who marriage certificates help?

Can you imagine govt looking for tax from marriage couples, I don't blame them.
if u planning to migrate abroad with ur wife its essential u present ur marriage certificate at the embassy to show proof dat she is ur legally married wife orherwise dem no go grant u visa.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by sacramento1212: 7:57pm On Jul 24, 2019
Duggedised12:
ok, still prefer registry to any church catholic or whatever .

Why?
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Angy55(f): 7:58pm On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
Do people get marriage certificate after traditional marriage? Why do some of you just rush to comment without understanding issues?

Yes, my community issues a marriage certificate duly signed by the king.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 24, 2019
afroniger:
If not for foreign embassy things, marriage certificates don't really mean much.
true sha
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by erico2k2(m): 7:59pm On Jul 24, 2019
lexy2014:

Am not saying u shouldn't register it. That's y people go to court to obtain a certificate. Am saying that as compared to church wedding traditional wedding is covered under d Customary laws of Nigeria and can b conducted without let, any time, anywhere
ok true,I was speaking about it being legally acceptable. even churches have to register thiers too
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by erico2k2(m): 8:01pm On Jul 24, 2019
lexy2014:

U dont marry because of embassy. U marry because u want to marry. D issue here is not all churches can conduct marriage without a license from govt. That is different with traditional marriage. Marry as u like
I only used that reference as they can legally refuse you due to the fact that your marriage is not legally binding as regards the law in Nigeria.SO if you want to go abroad for your honeymoon, no visa B dat.Plus if there was a divorce you have no leg to stand on!
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Duggedised12(f): 8:02pm On Jul 24, 2019
sacramento1212:

Why?
i feel the whole essence of a white wedding is to get the certificate recognised by law which registry does . All those formalities that goes with church wedding are all waste of time and resources and lets not forget a pastor joining people together is not a determinant if the marriage will last or not.

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Melancho: 8:03pm On Jul 24, 2019
Marriage is marriage. It becomes legal when you do court marriage.

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by brownbib(m): 8:03pm On Jul 24, 2019
I never knew people now gives licence to marriages as drivers do have. How many years does it take to renew it?

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 24, 2019
Akainzo:

Traditional marriages are legal in Nigeria under the Marriage Act of 1990.
If it's legal in the marriage act of 1990 why do I still have to go for a court marriage? And in a situation where I don't have the legal documents of the marriage being registered, why would a court reject my petition or claim my marriage is illegal?

2 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by nisotid: 8:04pm On Jul 24, 2019
stzy:

Carry your traditional marriage go court for divorce and see whether they will listen to you

that's why women will be scared of being thrown out of the house coz the law won't back them .. why?... you only paid bride price to the village elders so if issues arise you must go back to them to settle it
Why must you seek for divorce in the first place. Is marriage made for divorce or for partnership, procreation, fellowship, security and for purity. Do not give divorce a thought, enjoy your marriage.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jul 24, 2019
sacramento1212:

In the Catholic Church for instance, once you are issued a certificate, it's recognized. Some mushroom churches certificates won't fly in the aspect of legality
lol plenty mushroom churches full ground and they even issue marriage certificates
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 24, 2019
Angy55:

Yes, my community issues a marriage certificate duly signed by the king.
Does it meet the 'statutory requirement? Did the law state that your community chief would have to issue that document? Answering these questions is where its legality stands. Anyone can issue anything, but would it be used in court if the need for divorce arises?

2 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by rummmy: 8:08pm On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
Do people get marriage certificate after traditional marriage? Why do some of you just rush to comment without understanding issues?
my family gives certificate oooo

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by bengasyl(m): 8:10pm On Jul 24, 2019
starbuck:
Too many fornications oooo shocked shocked shocked

Where shocked shocked
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 24, 2019
rummmy:
my family gives certificate oooo
Would what your family gives be termed as legal in the eyes of the law? This here is where our argument is based. That thing you have is just a useless piece of paper if your marriage is not registered with the registry or court marriage isn't done.

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by AmazonTopaz(f): 8:13pm On Jul 24, 2019
sacramento1212:

Very unfortunate situation. If not that it's compulsory to sort out traditional marriage, many would have bypassed and proceeded to registry.

All types of marriages in Nigeria are optional not compulsory.
Some people only marry at the registry and they are legally married.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'No Wife, No Job'; 37-Year-Old Man Threatens To Commit Suicide In Anambra. Photo / A 13-Year-Old Boy Gives Part Of His School Fees To Ice Cream Seller (Photos) / Young Man Cries On Facebook After His Little Daughter's Death. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.