Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,181 members, 7,811,458 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd (36984 Views)

All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court / 4 Money Problems In Nigerian Marriages To Avoid / Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 24, 2019
don4real18:

That's because the so-called leaders have refused to legalize traditional marriage. They're the ones to tell the embassy(ies) what's legal and what's not.

educate yourself, traditional (customary) marriages are legal.

"There are two kinds of marriages accepted under Nigerian law. The first one is a wedding performed with the signing of a Marriage Act, and it only allows monogamy. The second kind is conducted under customary law and can be polygamous as well as monogamous. It is regulated by the Native Law and Custom, making it completely legal in terms of the law in Nigeria. Read more: https://www.legit.ng/1127334-what-customary-law-marriage-nigeria.html

http://nigerianweddingguide.com/the-types-of-marriage-in-nigeria-forms-custom/
"

2 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by ariesbull: 10:11pm On Jul 24, 2019
warripekin:
Oya now. you can meet our village elders and tell them traditional marriage is illegal.

Very illegal ...what they do in village is customary union and they are not constitutionally recognised
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by ariesbull: 10:12pm On Jul 24, 2019
thesicilian:
I beg to differ. As long as a bride price has been paid and traditional rites performed, that marriage is fully legal.

Go to embassy and bank and tell them that bullsït
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by ariesbull: 10:13pm On Jul 24, 2019
afroniger:
If not for foreign embassy things, marriage certificates don't really mean much.

What about banks , what about insurance what about evidence of proof
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by ariesbull: 10:14pm On Jul 24, 2019
molas02:
to hell with marriage cert, com my house and tell me my marriage is illegal after I paid my price ......u don't know what next for una ministry

You aren't married but just in civil union
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jul 24, 2019
ariesbull:

Go to embassy and bank and tell them that bullsït

They chanced you because you are not educated enough or didnt fight for your rights. next time tell them they should respect the law of your land. You think People like Sanusi, Obj, Abiola, Alaafin, Tejuoso and all these people who have many wives have problems at banks or embassies?

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by ariesbull: 10:18pm On Jul 24, 2019
Angy55:

Yes, my community issues a marriage certificate duly signed by the king.

Who knows your king...is he the Constitution? Is he embassy , is he bank , is he insurance
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by ariesbull: 10:19pm On Jul 24, 2019
isthatso:

They chanced you because you are not educated enough or didnt fight for your rights. next time tell them they should respect the law of your land. You think People like Sanusi, Obj, Abiola, Alaafin, Tejuoso and all these people who have many wives have problems at banks or embassies?

I am very educated...and I have my marriage certificate by registry
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 24, 2019
ariesbull:

What about banks , what about insurance what about evidence of proof

there are many rich people who have many wives or married under customary law, they have bank accounts and insurance. Dont let people bullshit you. Customary marraiges are legal under the law of the country and no one has a right to deny your rights because you dont have a certificate.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 24, 2019
ariesbull:

I am very educated...and I have my marriage certificate by registry

you mean you are a slave man.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by ariesbull: 10:21pm On Jul 24, 2019
isthatso:

there are many rich people who have many wives or married under customary law, they have bank accounts and insurance. Dont let people bullshit you. Customary marraiges are legal under the law of the country and no one has a right to deny your rights because you dont have a certificate.

They have bank account as individuals not as married couples....grow up
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by ariesbull: 10:21pm On Jul 24, 2019
isthatso:

you mean you are a slave man.
just like your father
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Angy55(f): 10:21pm On Jul 24, 2019
ariesbull:

Who knows your king...is he the Constitution? Is he embassy , is he bank , is he insurance

You asked a question if tradition offers a marriage certificate, and I gave a straight answer 'yes'. And if by any means the couples no longer wants to be together, the igwe and his cabinet members has right to dissolve it.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by ariesbull: 10:23pm On Jul 24, 2019
Angy55:

You asked a question if tradition offers a marriage certificate, and I gave a straight answer 'yes'. And if by any means the couples no longer wants to be together, the igwe and his cabinet members has right to dissolve it.

Taaa gbafuo who is igwe ? Those warrant chiefs everywhere

Onye bu igwe ..igwe muo ka obu igwe madu

Dude go and legalise your union Biko
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 24, 2019
ariesbull:

They have bank account as individuals not as married couples....grow up

they have accounts as married couples, I know because I have an aunt who is a third wife.

Like I said, there are many things we do in Nigeria that are technically illegal but people accept because we are docile and ignorant people who bow to authority figures without seeking truth and facts. Both the banker asking for the certificate and the customer who is turned away probably don not know the law. Many do not even know that a customary marriage is legal.

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by fcdgrand(m): 10:24pm On Jul 24, 2019
Dedetwo:
These fools are becoming more Europeans than Europeans.
thank you brother, don't mind those short sight people
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jul 24, 2019
ariesbull:
just like your father

fela has a song for you, it's called colo mentality. he talks about your certificate as a certified slave!!
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Angy55(f): 10:30pm On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
Does it meet the 'statutory requirement? Did the law state that your community chief would have to issue that document? Answering these questions is where its legality stands. Anyone can issue anything, but would it be used in court if the need for divorce arises?

This is tradition we are talking about, Don't mix up the two. The igwe signed the certificate, if you want a divorce go back to the igwe and file a divorce, there is a traditional court set up for that.

You and I know why majority of the people engage in court marriage.. Mostly for traveling overseas and for securing properties which is the only advantage it has over the traditional certificate issued by my community.

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by fcdgrand(m): 10:33pm On Jul 24, 2019
in order of importance; TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE, church marriage and court marriage or registry

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by bizzibodi(m): 10:34pm On Jul 24, 2019
stzy:

Carry your traditional marriage go court for divorce and see whether they will listen to you

that's why women will be scared of being thrown out of the house coz the law won't back them .. why?... you only paid bride price to the village elders so if issues arise you must go back to them to settle it
Who told u court dnt mediate in trad. marriage?
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Angy55(f): 10:35pm On Jul 24, 2019
ariesbull:

Taaa gbafuo who is igwe ? Those warrant chiefs everywhere

Onye bu igwe ..igwe muo ka obu igwe madu

Dude go and legalise your union Biko

Is white wedding your tradition? Or would you by-pass her family members and go for a white wedding? Who are you going to pay her bride price to?

Let's go to religion.. because they didn't do church or white wedding means they would go to hell?
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Larryndelaw: 11:30pm On Jul 24, 2019
Confuse people. So if the marriages are not legal go to their houses and scatter the couples. We are talking about hunger, killings etc in the country, here is someone talking about nonsense. They always look for avenue for bribe.

2 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by djon78(m): 12:02am On Jul 25, 2019
isthatso:

educate yourself, traditional (customary) marriages are legal.

"There are two kinds of marriages accepted under Nigerian law. The first one is a wedding performed with the signing of a Marriage Act, and it only allows monogamy. The second kind is conducted under customary law and can be polygamous as well as monogamous. It is regulated by the Native Law and Custom, making it completely legal in terms of the law in Nigeria. Read more: https://www.legit.ng/1127334-what-customary-law-marriage-nigeria.html

http://nigerianweddingguide.com/the-types-of-marriage-in-nigeria-forms-custom/
"

You explained it correctly cause I wanted to ask them which law backs those that marry more than one thing wife. If polygamy was illegal. Our laws can't support it.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by OGHENAOGIE(m): 12:04am On Jul 25, 2019
thesicilian:
I beg to differ. As long as a bride price has been paid and traditional rites performed, that marriage is fully legal.
naso una de mumu if you don't follow normal court proceedings u marriage is illegal assuming tomoro u guys win a lottery to travel out no one ll recognize the Marrige at best ur guys are boyfriend and girlfriend

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by cronsberg: 12:22am On Jul 25, 2019
This right here is a classic case of government trying to defraud the people. First they issue a headline to scare people like "most marraiges are illegal", that makes people afraid enough to ask "what do we do then?". They then ask people to pay and get a marraige certificate to make their marraige legal, and thus the government get more revenue from issuing certs. Thats also why anarchist ideology is starting to appeal to my senses, because we are too controlled by government, by traditional rulers, parents etc if not, why the hellll will government decide whose marraige is legal or not? Anarchy advocates for everybody to live free from societal control, think for themselves, do whatever makes them happy as long as they're not infringing on anybody's rights. Marraige is a personal thing that should be out of bounds for government, as long as two consenting adults agree to marry and get married by a figure of their religious believe, then that marraige is valid.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by drololaaof: 3:47am On Jul 25, 2019
What about the local government marriage registry? Why not have the offices in each local government area, how much will it cost ?
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Tunagee(m): 6:37am On Jul 25, 2019
thesicilian:

Read very well! Worship centers
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by SammyTJack: 7:07am On Jul 25, 2019
Are you fucking serious
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by rabzy: 8:06am On Jul 25, 2019
fcdgrand:
in order of importance; TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE, church marriage and court marriage or registry

There is nothing like church marriage.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by rabzy: 8:11am On Jul 25, 2019
ariesbull:

The marriage is very legal. Once the bride price has been paid and the lady handed over to the man/family, the marriage has been constituted. The law then stipulates that such marriage should be registered, this is not a second marriage but a registration or notice to the govt that a marriage has been conducted
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:24am On Jul 25, 2019
ariesbull:

Actually u r d one misinterpreting it.

Marriage is a union in spirit and body between two people.
getting the law to recognize it is what makes it a civil union.

you cant legalize marriage as it is based on mutuals and abstracts, the traditional ceremonies attached to it are symbolic, you can only legalize two people coming together for documentation purpose

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Psoul(m): 8:29am On Jul 25, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
Do people get marriage certificate after traditional marriage? Why do some of you just rush to comment without understanding issues?

You want to tell me that what makes marriage legal is the marriage certificate.

Oga if that is what u think, you are very very wrong.

Your traditional Marriage is a more legal occasion than the with wedding.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Wife Is Frustrating My Life / Young Man Cries On Facebook After His Little Daughter's Death. Photos / Asia Mekole, Lady Born With Facial Deformity Welcomes Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.