Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,994 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:13 PM

Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd (36977 Views)

All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court / 4 Money Problems In Nigerian Marriages To Avoid / Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by WisdomFlakes: 6:41pm On Jul 24, 2019
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/07/most-marriages-illegal-as-only-314-worship-centres-have-licence-to-conduct-weddings-fg/

By Omeiza Ajayi

ABUJA: Most marriages conducted in religious houses in Nigeria could be deemed illegal as the Federal Government has disclosed that most worship centres conducting marriages in the country lack the license to do so under the statutory Marriage Act. Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Interior, Barr. Georgina E. Ehuriah stated this Wednesday in Abuja while speaking at a one-day stakeholders’ conference on conduct of statutory marriages in accordance with the Marriage Act cap, M6, LFN 2004 as amended.

“At present, only about 4, 689 licensed places of worship in Nigeria have updated their records with the Ministry of Interior, of which only 314 have renewed their licenses.

“The implication of this is that marriages conducted in unlicensed places of worship are not in line with the Marriage Act and cannot serve legal purposes when the need arises, and such unlicensed places of worship are operating contrary to Section 6(1) of the Marriage Act,” she said.

According to her, the decision to organize the stakeholders’ conference was necessitated by the ministry’s experience in the discharge of its duties “which pointed to the fact that there are extant issues which require the joint attention of key stakeholders”.

She added that while the ministry was already building a database of all statutory marriages conducted in Nigeria, it had also developed a database of all places of worship licensed for celebration of marriages, urging stakeholders to take advantage of the Conference to discuss the major challenges they face in complying with the provisions of the Act.

The Permanent Secretary said she had already put in place machinery to kick start the process for the amendment of the Marriage Act to adequately meet the needs of citizens in the 21st century.

“Also, arrangements are on-going to give couples whose certificates were not issued in line with the Act the opportunity to bring them to conformity”.

Earlier, Director, Citizenship and Business in the ministry, Mr. Stephen Okon had said the conference was scheduled to hold in three major cities across the geo-political zones, adding that it would provide an avenue to educate the public and create awareness on the key requirements of the Marriage Act while also drawing the attention of stakeholders and the general public to the consequences of non-compliance with the Marriage Act.

3 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by warripekin(m): 6:59pm On Jul 24, 2019
Oya now. you can meet our village elders and tell them traditional marriage is illegal.

135 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by thesicilian: 7:01pm On Jul 24, 2019
I beg to differ. As long as a bride price has been paid and traditional rites performed, that marriage is fully legal.

182 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by hisgrace090: 7:07pm On Jul 24, 2019
Who marriage certificates help?

Can you imagine govt looking for tax from marriage couples, I don't blame them.

23 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Imoh555(m): 7:11pm On Jul 24, 2019
Gbas gbos
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Zanotee: 7:12pm On Jul 24, 2019
After traditional wedding any other ceremony na extra... undecided

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by starbuck(f): 7:13pm On Jul 24, 2019
Too many fornications oooo shocked shocked shocked

4 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by afroniger: 7:13pm On Jul 24, 2019
If not for foreign embassy things, marriage certificates don't really mean much.

28 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 24, 2019
thesicilian:
I beg to differ. As long as a bride price has been paid and traditional rites performed, that marriage is fully legal.
Do people get marriage certificate after traditional marriage? Why do some of you just rush to comment without understanding issues?

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by stzy(m): 7:14pm On Jul 24, 2019
grin
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by sacramento1212: 7:14pm On Jul 24, 2019
thesicilian:

Legality in what form? Are you really sure you understood the article?

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Sinach0191(m): 7:15pm On Jul 24, 2019
Is dat so
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by YoungLionken(m): 7:15pm On Jul 24, 2019
That's your business.

White or whatever color wedding in church, is not scriptural. Although, the religious institution in our society today is making it compulsory...
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by FLYFIRE(m): 7:15pm On Jul 24, 2019
Everyone in this govt ARE DAFT. So many things to do but choose the most useless. We said in the beginning that the DULLARD WILL take Nigeria BACK many years but many thought we were just being sarcastic. Lets sound it again...the id iot WILL TAKE NIGERIA MANY MANY YEARS BACK

3 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by molas02: 7:15pm On Jul 24, 2019
to hell with marriage cert, com my house and tell me my marriage is illegal after I paid my price ......u don't know what next for una ministry

5 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by olassybaba: 7:15pm On Jul 24, 2019
Appeal to authority everywhere
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Fountainofyouth(f): 7:16pm On Jul 24, 2019
sacramento1212:

Legality as in if court marriage abi registry is involved, church bruhaha is just a formality.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Duggedised12(f): 7:16pm On Jul 24, 2019
Registry is always the best.

2 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Bonapart(m): 7:16pm On Jul 24, 2019
Federal govt should go and burn

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by sacramento1212: 7:17pm On Jul 24, 2019
Duggedised12:
Registry is always the best.

Yes for legality purpose. But again, some Orthodox churches can still pull through due to its recognition world wide.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by JubrinElSudan: 7:18pm On Jul 24, 2019
Hope they won't wake up one day and say that only a few communities have the license to conduct traditional wedding

5 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by stzy(m): 7:18pm On Jul 24, 2019
thesicilian:

Carry your traditional marriage go court for divorce and see whether they will listen to you

that's why women will be scared of being thrown out of the house coz the law won't back them .. why?... you only paid bride price to the village elders so if issues arise you must go back to them to settle it

15 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by tstx(m): 7:18pm On Jul 24, 2019
So traditional marriages are nonsense ba
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Dedetwo(m): 7:18pm On Jul 24, 2019
These fools are becoming more Europeans than Europeans.

4 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by don4real18(m): 7:19pm On Jul 24, 2019
afroniger:
If not for foreign embassy things, marriage certificates don't really mean much.
That's because the so-called leaders have refused to legalize traditional marriage. They're the ones to tell the embassy(ies) what's legal and what's not.

15 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 24, 2019
sacramento1212:

I just tire for this people. grin

He wants to tell us he knows more than the Ministry of Interior. I guess some of them don't know what's meant by 'Statutory requirement'.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A 13-Year-Old Boy Gives Part Of His School Fees To Ice Cream Seller (Photos) / Young Man Cries On Facebook After His Little Daughter's Death. Photos / My Wife Is Frustrating My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.