Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,188 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd (36982 Views)

All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court / 4 Money Problems In Nigerian Marriages To Avoid / Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by rummmy: 8:19pm On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
Would what your family gives be termed as legal in the eyes of the law? This here is where our argument is based. That thing you have is just a useless piece of paper if your marriage is not registered with the registry or court marriage isn't done.
...who cares about the registry.....the family approves, we live together, we bond together,we born together, we die....... The government can go to hell with their useless certificates just like our university certificates.......useless government that can not better the life's of its citizens, always looking for how to milk it's citizens to death.... #50 digital stamp duty comes to play.... My family has a biz name duly registered as unregistered association.

2 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Yankee101: 8:19pm On Jul 24, 2019
lexy2014:

Theres what is called customary law. It gives legal backing to traditional marriage

Christians don't subjugate to civil law when it goes against basic tenets.

They're married under christian laws dictated by the bible.

We had no customary laws pre Nigeria and Igbo men have been carrying ugbankwo to future inlaws.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jul 24, 2019
rummmy:
...who cares about the registry.....the family approves, we live together, we bond together,we born together, we die....... The government can go to hell with their useless certificates just like our university certificates.......useless government that can not better the life's of its citizens, always looking for how to milk it's citizens to death.... 50 digital stamp duty comes to play....
This is the mentality that has made lot of people use the "Had I known" phrase. Those who appear in court due to unresolved marital woes didn't anticipate it coming. They reasoned just as you did. grin

2 Likes

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by sacramento1212: 8:22pm On Jul 24, 2019
AmazonTopaz:

All types of marriages in Nigeria are optional not compulsory.
Some people only marry at the registry and they are legally married.

Well, it depends on where the lady is from. Except in situations where one can walk into a family, pick their daughter for free and proceed to the registry to marry and claim being a married man or woman all because marriage was done in the registry.

But where i come from and many other parts of the country, traditonal marriage fulfillment is a must before fulfilling others (wedding and/or registry)

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by sacramento1212: 8:24pm On Jul 24, 2019
lefulefu:
lol plenty mushroom churches full ground and they even issue marriage certificates

Yes now. Church is now business. Even shop churches dey issue certificate and marriage don happen be that.

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by AmazonTopaz(f): 8:26pm On Jul 24, 2019
sacramento1212:

Well, it depends on where the lady is from. Except in situations where one can walk into a family, pick their daughter for free and proceed to the registry to marry and claim being a married man or woman all because marriage was done in the registry.

But where i come from and many other parts of the country, traditonal marriage fulfillment is a must before fulfilling others (wedding and/or registry)
I have seen couples who wedded only via registry.
It is your choice as a couple to choose what is best for you as long as Nigeria recognises your marriage all others na unnecessary formalities that is at your own choice to decide if or not you would go through that(traditional marriage) .
None is compulsory but all are optional.

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by sacramento1212: 8:27pm On Jul 24, 2019
Duggedised12:
i feel the whole essence of a white wedding is to get the certificate recognised by law which registry does . All those formalities that goes with church wedding are all waste of time and resources and lets not forget a pastor joining people together is not a determinant f the marriage will last or not.

I agree with you. If it's left for me alone to decide, i will never get involved in any church marriage. Traditional marriage alone is a done deal for me and then registry strictly because of legality due to the aspect of legality/recognition still lacking in traditional marriages in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by rummmy: 8:28pm On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
This is the mentality that has made lot of people use the "Had I known" phrase. Those who appear in court due to unresolved marital woes didn't anticipate it coming. They reasoned just as you did. grin
think positive dear, don't forecast crash in your marriage even before you get married... I don't need the useless government marriage certificate because my marriage will never have issues.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by sacramento1212: 8:30pm On Jul 24, 2019
AmazonTopaz:

I have seen couples who wedded only via registry.
It is your choice as a couple to choose what is best for you as long as Nigeria recognises your marriage all others na unnecessary formalities that is at your own choice to decide if or not you would go through that(traditional marriage) .
None is compulsory but all are optional.

Well, not optional in my place. It's a must before carrying on with others.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by oneTIMEman(m): 8:30pm On Jul 24, 2019
Na mumu dey worry person wia bring these law
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Duggedised12(f): 8:34pm On Jul 24, 2019
sacramento1212:

I agree with you. If it's left for me alone to decide, i will never get involved in any church marriage. Traditional marriage alone is a done deal for me and then registry strictly because of legality due to the aspect of legality/recognition still lacking in traditional marriages in Nigeria
exactly.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by AmazonTopaz(f): 8:37pm On Jul 24, 2019
sacramento1212:

Well, not optional in my place. It's a must before carrying on with others.

If you decide to give them a listening ear and allow them tell you what to do no qualms.
If you refuse and do what is best for you no qualms.
There is nothing special about that and nobody would kill you for refusing to do such(traditional marriage)
But if you choose to still keep your traditional practice in place no problem do what works for you.
Aside it's immediate jurisdiction mainly extended family members traditional marriage holds no water.
I would always advise couples to head to the registry after fulfilling all righteousness with the traditional as that one would favour our women(registry)

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 24, 2019
rummmy:
think positive dear, don't forecast crash in your marriage even before you get married... I don't need the useless government marriage certificate because my marriage will never have issues.
I am going to marry whom I dearly love. I am not going to anticipate evil as I'll perform my wifey roles to the best of my abilities with love, but I must register my marriage.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Brightest04(m): 8:41pm On Jul 24, 2019
Foolishness at the highest level,these lazy adults up there supposed to be looking for ways to create jobs for the lazy youths so that they won't end up being lazy adults tomorrow. But instead they're searching for legal marriages and illegal marriages. Who told them there is marriages in heaven or how does it stop banditry, kidnapping, armdrobbery, rape,tribalism, nepotism, favoritism,corruption and looting of the national Treasury.

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by sacramento1212: 8:41pm On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
I am going to marry whom I dearly love. I am not going to anticipate evil as I'll perform my wifey roles to the best of my abilities with love, but I must register my marriage.

Yes because no one knows tomorrow. But me i will collect my receipt sha cheesy
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by sacramento1212: 8:42pm On Jul 24, 2019
AmazonTopaz:

If you decide to give them a listening ear and allow them tell you what to do no qualms.
If you refuse and do what is best for you no qualms.
There is nothing special about that and nobody would kill you for refusing to do such(traditional marriage)
But if you choose to still keep your traditional practice in place no problem do what works for you.
Aside it's immediate jurisdiction mainly extended family members traditional marriage holds no water.
I would always advise couples to head to the registry after fulfilling all righteousness with the traditional as that one would favour our women(registry)

Your points noted and we are both on the same page.

Cheers
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by lexy2014: 8:43pm On Jul 24, 2019
erico2k2:

I only used that reference as they can legally refuse you due to the fact that your marriage is not legally binding as regards the law in Nigeria.SO if you want to go abroad for your honeymoon, no visa B dat.Plus if there was a divorce you have no leg to stand on!

Bros traditional marriage is legally binding according to Nigeria's customary law and marriage act. Same can't b said for church marriage as stated in d article. Even in a divorce, from d little I no, customary law gives cover to d woman
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 24, 2019
sacramento1212:

Yes because no one knows tomorrow. But me i will collect my receipt sha cheesy
That one no be problem. grin Business centers are everywhere and it won't cost much to print out a receipt to you. Just be ready to pay your dues.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by akdjr(m): 8:48pm On Jul 24, 2019
It is. but u can't present the certificate issued to you as official document when needed except the one issued in court. Our constitution is full of so many flaws if you ask me. Our culture was never taken into consideration when it was drafted. Seun Kuti said he went to court with a friend and he was granted bail with a surety of a particular level in civil service or a pastor or imam. He asked the judge, what about Herbalist or IFA priest? And the judge started insulting him and calling him names. stquote author=thesicilian post=80593846]I beg to differ. As long as a bride price has been paid and traditional rites performed, that marriage is fully legal.[/quote]
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by sacramento1212: 8:50pm On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
That one no be problem. grin Business centers are everywhere and it won't cost much to print out a receipt to you. Just be ready to pay your dues.

Provided the receipt is signed and sealed by the family head, no wahala cheesy. No be say tomorrow one person go talk say i never pay finish or abi how much i pay.

Dues no be wahala, we go settle am.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 24, 2019
sacramento1212:

Provided the receipt is signed and sealed by the family head, no wahala cheesy. No be say tomorrow one person go talk say i never pay finish or abi how much i pay.

Dues no be wahala, we go settle am.
If you say so. grin

1 Like

Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by henryobinna(m): 8:53pm On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
Do people get marriage certificate after traditional marriage? Why do some of you just rush to comment without understanding issues?
marriage certificate is not the marriage itself, it's just an evidence.

Yes, traditional wedding is the one true. Anything is avenue to throw money around.

I don't know why ladies are obsessed with court marriage sef even though it has little to no significance
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by thesicilian: 8:54pm On Jul 24, 2019
stzy:

Carry your traditional marriage go court for divorce and see whether they will listen to you

that's why women will be scared of being thrown out of the house coz the law won't back them .. why?... you only paid bride price to the village elders so if issues arise you must go back to them to settle it
Why would I go to court for divorce when I didn't marry in church? A marriage cannot be illegal because it wasn't done in court, registry or a government recognized church, when all the full traditional rites have been performed. If he had said most marriage certificates are fake that would have made more sense.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by lexy2014: 8:57pm On Jul 24, 2019
Yankee101:

Christians don't subjugate to civil law when it goes against basic tenets.

They're married under christian laws dictated by the bible.

We had no customary laws pre Nigeria and Igbo men have been carrying ugbankwo to future inlaws.

Christians don't subjugate to civil law but yet it is marriage certificate issued by d FG that they give married couples. Christians don't subjugate to civil law yet churches can't conduct weddings without permission from d govt

What are d Christian laws under which Christians are married? Pls quote s scriptures.

We didn't have customary laws pre Nigeria yet churches will tell u to conclude ur traditional wedding b4 church wedding can b conducted.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by rummmy: 8:59pm On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
that is you... As for me, it's a no no no..... Many men view your insisting on court marriage as a sign of preparation for competing with them... Anyway, enjoy your opinion.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by bigiyaro(m): 9:05pm On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
Do people get marriage certificate after traditional marriage? Why do some of you just rush to comment without understanding issues?
certificate my arse. who white man certificate help? here we marry with bride price not some decorated paper.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by zomoears(m): 9:07pm On Jul 24, 2019
GrabHisBalls:

Yes.
In my place, Traditional rulers(District Heads) issue marriage certificates. They are empowered by the marriage act to do that. You pay a token of N3000 and they sign off for you. It is recognised in Law.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by bereto(m): 9:27pm On Jul 24, 2019
Comments on this thread shows that many Nigerians are all shades of dull and are backward

Tomorrow when a president attends a UN summit in African attire they would shout but you want to show proof of traditional marriage to the embassy SMH undecided

Nobody is saying don't do traditional but oga go and make it legal by going to court not church
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Godwin2am(m): 9:29pm On Jul 24, 2019
PLEASE O GOVERNMENT NEED TO COME TO OUR AIDS, THIS MARRIAGE THINGS ARE GETTING SO EXPENSIVE THAT MOST OF US THAT WANT TO IN THROUGH PROPER MARRIAGE RITE ARE SACRED. I SWEAR..... I DONT LIKE BEING SINGLEBUT I JUST HAVE TO PRETEND.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by TemmyT002(m): 9:30pm On Jul 24, 2019
Come on, go and sit down
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Godwin2am(m): 9:36pm On Jul 24, 2019
GOVERNMENT NEED TO CHECK OUT WHAT THESE VILLAGE ELDERS ARE DEMANDING FROM MOST OF US THAT ARE COMING FROM THE CITY TO MARRY THEIR DAUGHTER. I DONT LIKE BEING SINGE BUTTHE AMOUNT IS VERY HIGH.
Re: Most Marriages Illegal, As Only 314 Worship Centres Have Licence To Conduct Wedd by Artistree: 9:56pm On Jul 24, 2019
thesicilian:
I beg to differ. As long as a bride price has been paid and traditional rites performed, that marriage is fully legal.
Nope, if you have a marriage certificate, it's legal too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Young Man Cries On Facebook After His Little Daughter's Death. Photos / My Wife Is Frustrating My Life / Asia Mekole, Lady Born With Facial Deformity Welcomes Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.