Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,226 members, 7,957,526 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:06 PM

My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me (45161 Views)

I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ / What’s The Most Painful Thing A Lecturer Has Ever Done Or Said To You? / My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Ayemileto(m): 7:16pm On Nov 13, 2019
maasoap:

How can a sensible, selfless and caring mother see her kid of 21 years old as burden?
How can he reduce or stop asking them for things at 21 and when he just got admission to study Pharmacy?
And there is no way he can be financially independent in kind of condition!

Well, it's somehow. But there's Chances he has learnt a skill since 2017 when he finished his ND program.

In fact, he should have learnt one.

This is the time to utilize that skill and turn it to a side hustle.

Fact is the nagging will most likely continue as far as he keeps depending on them.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 7:18pm On Nov 13, 2019
renewable1:
Call me grin

Affordable solar combo to power your TV, decoder, sound system and fan for 8hours daily... Check my signature now

Will you give me money if I call you grin

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:
embarassed embarassed I'm writing this post with a heavy heart

So I'm 21 and I finished secondary school at age 17 (2015) and to be honest I just got admission this year to study pharmacy while my mates are in their final year and it hurts alot because my mum keeps telling me that my cousin is in final year and is about serving next year and I'm just gaining admission to a university, she even uses her friend's child as an example and it made me go into a Little depression, I actually felt sad because for the first time a comparison actually hit me...

She claims they (my parents)are supposed to be resting and not paying school fee. That I'm stressing them and ever since I was a teenager I always vowed that I wanted to leave my father house before 25yrs of age

Now I'm studying a 5 years course (7 years to become a full graduate) and by then I'll be 28 I actually feel ashamed because this isn't what I wanted since I left secondary school
I wanted to finish on time and remove the burden from them

I've never failed jamb, my least Score was 245 but circumstances kept dragging me back

I finished my ND program in 2017 (Distinction in SLT Yabatech)

So it feels more like I'm parambulating up and down and don't know what I want for my self but I actually do!!

I need an advice or something to make me feel better or confident about my self sad

bros be who u are dont let anyhow pressure u to do silly things o. and what u will regretin life.

there was a day mom ask me for money and i told her am broke, she told me about about a guy in our hood dat jus come bk from school and givve his mum money. well me as a sharp guy i kuku tell her am not giving her any money again until she send me too school so dat i will come bk and give her money.

so u still young hustle oooo. look for side hustle to meet up. u might not use d latest phone,wear latest dress dont be depress just pray and hustle.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by idu1(m): 7:37pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

So I'm 21 and I finished secondary school at age 17 (2015) and to be honest I just got admission this year to study pharmacy while my mates are in their final year and it hurts alot because my mum keeps telling me that my cousin is in final year and is about serving next year and I'm just gaining admission to a university, she even uses her friend's child as an example and it made me go into a Little depression, I actually felt sad because for the first time a comparison actually hit me...

She claims they (my parents)are supposed to be resting and not paying school fee. That I'm stressing them and ever since I was a teenager I always vowed that I wanted to leave my father house before 25yrs of age

Now I'm studying a 5 years course (7 years to become a full graduate) and by then I'll be 28 I actually feel ashamed because this isn't what I wanted since I left secondary school

I've never failed jamb, my least Score was 245 but circumstances kept dragging me back

So it feels more like I'm parambulating up and down and don't know what I want for my self but I actually do!!

I need an advice or something to make me feel better or confident about my self sad

With pharmacy degree work dey for you for sure.
E better make person do better course late than make you hurry go do useless course for school come dey jobless. I think you know how the country dey now. Make you put your full energy do this course very well. You ll never regret it and your parents will be proud of you. Opportunity dey for you home and abroad.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by maasoap(m): 7:53pm On Nov 13, 2019
Ayemileto:

Well, it's somehow. But there's Chances he has learnt a skill since 2017 when he finished his ND program.

In fact, he should have learnt one.

This is the time to utilize that skill and turn it to a side hustle.

Fact is the nagging will most likely continue as far as he keeps depending on them.

He will have to endure. Studying less demanding courses and combining it with hustling is not easy, and equally affects grades. Now, some people even made me understand that Pharmacy is even harder than Medicine in school like OAU. He has got every right to depend on them, he needs them now than ever

5 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by gbagyiza: 7:54pm On Nov 13, 2019
bestman09:
sad
I wish to apologize on behalf of your mum. She really meant well for you, but you won't understand now. Just as you feel depressed about the situation is the same way she feels depressed too. Every parent silently prays for their child to be the best, to be ahead of their peers and when things don't go as they wished, disappointment sets in. Be the best, strive to be the best and excel and everyone will forget the disappointment of the past. BTW, I know someone that graduated at the age of 30 became more successful than the person that graduated at 22. The race is not of the swiftest, Gods grace and mercy is what you should pray for

This is one of the matured replies I have seen here. Adhere to this advice it will help u.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Alexis0147(m): 7:56pm On Nov 13, 2019
She should not drive you to depression... She should stop it.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by UnitedFront: 8:09pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

I guess you're doing great??

I can proudly say that I'm. My regret is that I wasted so much time.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Reuben2012(m): 8:11pm On Nov 13, 2019
I know how you feel bro. Honestly, our parent attitude towards some issue that pertain to our Progress in life goes a long way.

I remember two events that happen in my life. The first one was when I received my O level result(NECO) and i told my mom that I dont have 5 credit. I think I had four then. I was expecting her to insult me rather she encouraged me to put more effort in the next one I will be writing that same year.
The second one was when I resigned from bank job as a contract staff to pick up a career job in Lagos. unfortunately, I was sack from that job the third week. chai, mehn. No be small thing. I refused to tell my mom what happened to me and I dont want to travel back to where I came from but when hunger took hold of me. I had no choice than to call my mom and tell her the truth about what happened to me. I called her on phone and narrated everything to her. she said "Lekan that is life for you as a man. Life still goes on."
I was expecting her to Insult me that why did you make sure move. leaving certainty for uncertainty. she sent 5k to me twice before I got another job. Honestly, it's a miracle because I was just favoured
My point is this Let God be the source of your joy. Dont let Negative opinion of anybody bring you down.Let God be the source of your Inspiration.

There are some life threatening situation you might find yourself. At that point where nobody is there to motivate or encourage. Let the word of God do the soothing. Its written..... coat the scriptures. it works.

6 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by midnighter(f): 8:14pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

grin cheesy grin Me seff I don't know oo when it clearly states that I'm a guy on my profile

Lol at least you now know how it feels when somebody quotes me and begins "my brother...." grin

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Nobody: 8:29pm On Nov 13, 2019
I'm 22 ...I just completed my service and currently waiting to start my masters in January. So I can't relate to your problems. But do u know d irony ...I wish ur problems were mine and mine urs...
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Lamanii22(f): 8:49pm On Nov 13, 2019
hemlock0:
Misplaced depression, I know of a lady that gained admission at 23 still same pharmacy she has graduated now and living a fulfilled life. Time doesn't define you what defines you is the amount of work you put into the time spent, go make good grades and your mum will be proud of you.

Time indeed doesn't define you... I myself started uni this year and I'm 24... And my first semester result was really good... Didn't even know i'm still brilliant... My friends that have graduated since were like I'm the one really enjoying uni....

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by frozen70g(f): 9:03pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

Thank for this wonderful advice
I promise you and my much that I'll come out with this distinction by God's grace smiley

By the way I be guy o cheesy

OK, guy, I will hold on to your promise
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by shakuur(m): 9:38pm On Nov 13, 2019
namiji2598:
bros am also a graduate, though nt in those field but I have friends who are graduate of law, medicine and pharmacy, do u knw how much those guys collect when they get employed? so many of those lawyers and pharmacy spent years without any job, after so many stress of studies, so whats the my sister studied OTM and she currently works in A COURT NICN, her salary is even far ahead all the barristers in the court, so whats the use of the so called courses which they studied for 5_7 years, somebody who studied SLT can get employed in an private company can even get paid more than the pharmacy u so called hyped....
First of all i am not hyping any course! Anybody can have money in this life, even someone that never stepped his foot in the four walls of a university system. But for someone to call Pharmacy a mumu course?? No its not! i like to speak based on facts not on speculation, i have never seen an unemployed pharmacist(i stand to be corrected tho, if you have seen one?). They are one of those courses have the highest number of vacancies in the labour market( if not number 1) Why is a pharmacist looking for employment? When he could just set up his own pharmacy and be self employed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by oluwamile(m): 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

smiley You dey give me hope small small bro

Thanks
Long live the "men of honour"
uwc bro
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Nobody: 10:51pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

My friend went back to school to study this same pharmacy, after having spent 5 full years studying vetenary medicine, now he's graduated ant still doing well for himself... it's never too late.

There's a blessing in disguise to your situation, you're now more mature than all the people in your class, and you know exactly what you want out of life, start working towards it from day one... while most of the youngsters will be jacking to pass exams, you'll be studying to acquire knowledge, having in mind exactly what you plan to do with that knowledge.... knowing the importance of industry, network and things like that.

As for your mum, she's ignorant and it's not her fault...she doesn't know...what you have to do on that front is to manage her, and if possible try to have some level of hustle and financial Independence, so when you hear things like what she just says to you, you smile and walk away, knowing it's not your only option....keeps the depression far from you.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Gwagone: 10:54pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

Make him understand that you want to go to school by all means and that you can hustle and try and finance your self if he isn't capable
I am working and feeding on my own, and even living on my own(although I didn't rent the apartment)... still awaiting for admission tho...
All he wanted was that I should save o. I should be saving my money
Lol
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Joystark(f): 11:10pm On Nov 13, 2019
TechCapon:
That's African parents for you but if you start comparing them to dangote and otedola, they will say you lack respect and home training.

lol...
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by oluwanimoduroty: 11:18pm On Nov 13, 2019
Do not be depressed, just strive to be the best you can be, I also graduated at the age of 16 and didn't get admission till I clocked 24 graduated at age 28 and finished service last year but still looking up to God for favour as regards job but my parents were very supportive though.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Nobody: 11:20pm On Nov 13, 2019
Raymondluv:
how old are you now?
21, you have anything for me boss
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Came4amod: 11:23pm On Nov 13, 2019
afribabe:
And if everyone will do this, who is going to follow him or allow him to follow cos if he is not rich, then he will probably fall into the other category of the unfortunate people according to your classification. You, can you allow an unfortunate person to follow you if you are rich?? Or you think the rich people are mumu abi?

Take that advice .. I didn't say beg rich people .. I said follow dem .. if you rub yansh with rich man .. riches go rub u .. if you rub yansh with oloriburuku..u know what's next .. u need to read 48 laws of power .. thank me latter

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by U2ice(m): 11:36pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

Mispleased depression like someone said- lol funny.... you don’t need it dear a friend of mine has written uniben post utme 3times unilag twice and two other fed uni I can’t rem still no success . What will you do if in her shoes?
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by jerriecesar: 11:45pm On Nov 13, 2019
I finish sec sch 2012, I got admission to study pharmacy 2016(21yrs old) am currently in 400lvl. I got same talk too from my dad. all my friends are currently serving ..am d first son but u know wat it didn't matter coz my dad now feels me...
Keep cool, study hard believe me tinz will change
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Nobody: 11:47pm On Nov 13, 2019
vezycash:

keep up the hustle
thanks boss
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by namiji2598: 12:11am On Nov 14, 2019
shakuur:
First of all i am not hyping any course! Anybody can have money in this life, even someone that never stepped his foot in the four walls of a university system. But for someone to call Pharmacy a mumu course?? No its not! i like to speak based on facts not on speculation, i have never seen an unemployed pharmacist(i stand to be corrected tho, if you have seen one?). They are one of those courses have the highest number of vacancies in the labour market( if not number 1) Why is a pharmacist looking for employment? When he could just set up his own pharmacy and be self employed.
more than 30% of them are self employed, thats by opening a chemist, but what happens if u dont have money to open the chemist?, in ur write up it shows a great sign of maturity, ur sense supposed tell u that those courses are over hyped, when I was in sec school, my dream was to study medicine, I wrote jamb sotey I reach 300L in the university looking for change of course before I gave up, during my NYSC, all my science students wants to be doctors, thats the over hype I was talking abt, now I knw better, somebody who study administration, OTM, human resource among others can have a brighter future than all those fellas.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by namiji2598: 12:18am On Nov 14, 2019
shakuur:
I know of law graduate, who spent almost 6 Years unemployed, she affiliated herself to NICN for almost 4 years without a job, before they employ her recently, with a salary of 68k. do u knw that almost 40% of Nigerian judges did not even study law? is jus all about having a political God father bro, all the law students spends their 35 years of service without reaching that level, but somebody who get connection boom, he is a judge, I didn't knw much abt pharmacy, that's y most of my point are abt law, but all the same they are all in line
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by bigl: 12:26am On Nov 14, 2019
iaamxavier:

Eeya, i feel your pains brova but lemme help u a bit.

It doesn't matter whatever anyone says to you; what matters in life is what you to yourself and that is capable of affecting your destiny.

So, if u want peace of mind, just ignore them.

Let them rant and rave and say whatever they like; u just focus on achieving your goals in life.

On the other hand, why not acquire a skill that takes a short while to learn and start making money for yourself?

It doesn't stop your schooling. I mean something like photography etc that requires low capital start up and learning curve.

Once u are not overly dependent on your parents for even socks N100, they will start taking you serious.

My dad too didn't want me to leave my aunts house when i was 24. I ignored him and moved out when i had the skills to make small money to support myself. He will call me 5am in the morning and say all sorts of things but i will simply thank him and just do my stuffs.

Years later, he told me he was happy i moved out back then.

So, do your thing man! And don't let anyone make u feel sad or depressed!
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by DexterousOne(m): 12:43am On Nov 14, 2019
TechCapon:
That's African parents for you but if you start comparing them to dangote and otedola, they will say you lack respect and home training.

Lmao
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by trumpcoat(m): 1:45am On Nov 14, 2019
It's not how fast you run, but how balance you are when running the race, it's not who gained admission first and graduated at an early age, you never can tell, you guys might still meet at the labour market, it happens
You just spoke my mind
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Judybash93(m): 4:53am On Nov 14, 2019
midnighter:

Lmao why does everybody think OP is a girl

Wait oOo!!! That's a dude...lol... There's something about the way he wrote that stuff that made me think he was a girl.. My mistake though
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Judybash93(m): 4:53am On Nov 14, 2019
iaamxavier:

Thanks smiley

But I be guy o grin

Lmao... My bad grin you'll be great
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by esky158(m): 6:47am On Nov 14, 2019
every one has there own time no one is ahead of another just Wait 4 ur own

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man Finally Graduates After Spending 12 Years In University / Photos: Only Those Who Went To Secondary School In Nigeria Will Understand This / Archibong Bassey, UNICAL 19-Year-Old First Class Graduate Shares Success Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.