Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,280 members, 7,815,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me (44738 Views)

I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ / What’s The Most Painful Thing A Lecturer Has Ever Done Or Said To You? / My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by djoe21(m): 5:04pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:
embarassed embarassed I'm writing this post with a heavy heart

So I'm 21 and I finished secondary school at age 17 (2015) and to be honest I just got admission this year to study pharmacy while my mates are in their final year and it hurts alot because my mum keeps telling me that my cousin is in final year and is about serving next year and I'm just gaining admission to a university, she even uses her friend's child as an example and it made me go into a Little depression, I actually felt sad because for the first time a comparison actually hit me...

She claims they (my parents)are supposed to be resting and not paying school fee. That I'm stressing them and ever since I was a teenager I always vowed that I wanted to leave my father house before 25yrs of age

Now I'm studying a 5 years course (7 years to become a full graduate) and by then I'll be 28 I actually feel ashamed because this isn't what I wanted since I left secondary school
I wanted to finish on time and remove the burden from them

I've never failed jamb, my least Score was 245 but circumstances kept dragging me back

I finished my ND program in 2017 (Distinction in SLT Yabatech)

So it feels more like I'm parambulating up and down and don't know what I want for my self but I actually do!!

I need an advice or something to make me feel better or confident about my self sad

Instead of feeling depressed, be motivated to graduate top or among the best, and make your mom eat the humble pie.

Just so you know, many times, no be who dey lead when race start dey finish best...you can ask Usain Bolt. Go and be the BEST bro!

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by UnknownQueen(f): 5:08pm On Nov 13, 2019
Walewestt:
Hey homie, that's African parents for you huh, my dad always compared me with a certain family friend that always came first in every class while I managed third at the most, now we are much older and out of the uni, she came out with first class again, while me the regular 2:2, but life always have a way of sorting things out, I'm extra intelligent, smart and I'm already established at 25, even own my own home but she's somewhere teaching for 15k, now I show him the distance with us and he realizes he's mistake but still cant change the fact that the comparism created a certain hatred in me that isnt suppose to be there, best I can do is never do such to my kids, always boost their ego no matter what !!!!
Hope this helps honey ! Stop sounding Like a girl and try to do most thing on your own as well.

Hmmmm.. How do you know she's being paid 15k...monitoring spirits
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by TechCapon(m): 5:09pm On Nov 13, 2019
richiepolymer:
cheesy
Exactly!
I did the same thing some years back when my mum compared me with some of my mates who were ahead of me in achievement. I told my mum that Dora Akunyili and Alakija are her mates and it cut her like a Knife. Since dat time everybody just maintain. cheesy

lol, how I wish I had the guts to do such e for sweet me die. But since she controlled the food in the house then, na to just swallow the insult unless you wan do dry fasting by force grin

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Nwogeh: 5:11pm On Nov 13, 2019
Everyone has a time zone....this is just your own time zone...what if you had gotten admission earlier and something bad happened. What if you never had the opportunity of going to school in the first place. That they are comparing you with them now and they seem to be doing better, does not mean you will later grow bigger or better or worse than them...NO, no need to start measuring up with others at anytime... As far as you are better than yourself yesterday that's what matters. Because if you start living in comparison or start programming your life around peer or environmental pressure which is a direct consequences of comparing oneself with another...believe me, you will kill yourself one day, because you will always see your mates that seem to be doing better than you, likewise you will also bee seeing those you are better off than at any point in time in your life till you depart this earth...so chill man, relax and pursue your dream, that's what matters after all and pay deaf ears to your parents.

iaamxavier:

So I'm 21 and I finished secondary school at age 17 (2015) and to be honest I just got admission this year to study pharmacy while my mates are in their final year and it hurts alot because my mum keeps telling me that my cousin is in final year and is about serving next year and I'm just gaining admission to a university, she even uses her friend's child as an example and it made me go into a Little depression, I actually felt sad because for the first time a comparison actually hit me...

She claims they (my parents)are supposed to be resting and not paying school fee. That I'm stressing them and ever since I was a teenager I always vowed that I wanted to leave my father house before 25yrs of age

Now I'm studying a 5 years course (7 years to become a full graduate) and by then I'll be 28 I actually feel ashamed because this isn't what I wanted since I left secondary school

I've never failed jamb, my least Score was 245 but circumstances kept dragging me back

So it feels more like I'm parambulating up and down and don't know what I want for my self but I actually do!!

I need an advice or something to make me feel better or confident about my self sad

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by shakuur(m): 5:11pm On Nov 13, 2019
namiji2598:
if u ask me, I will advise u to go for ur HND in SLT, SLT is far better than the so called pharmacy u are going to waste ur five years on....
SLT is better than pharmacy? Abeg which kind mumu talk be this

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by TechCapon(m): 5:12pm On Nov 13, 2019
Ciscogod:

Bro , dont be discouraged, i searched for job after my CCNA but couldnt find job in the field.. 3 yrs later when the cert expired i got a job as a core IP engr in an ISP.. it wasnt a luck thou cos i do prepare myself and get ready even thou the job aint coming.
the exam is so expensive and I don't want to waste that huge amount and just keep the certificate in the shelf.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Wtfork: 5:19pm On Nov 13, 2019
DonBenny77:
Your own better na, you never hear people story. In this country veterans still living with their parents is a normal phenomenon these days. Only 21 she dey complain.
You for just dey laugh your Mama.
If you like go and kill yourself, them go carry your body go police station......

Lol. Go do wetin for police station
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by vowiski(m): 5:20pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

Send me a mail, I have a story to tell you
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by victorian(f): 5:20pm On Nov 13, 2019
xynerise:
Just negodu this man!

Some people at 28 they are still writing jamb. What is wrong with kids of today?

Don't blame frustrated soul cry

God forbid I have such mother.

If he commits suicide now she will be calling witches names, whereas she's the main overall witch in this guy's life.

Guy just ignore your mum and focus on your plans in making it.

Everybody has their time to become a success and yours is not as exception.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Solo87(m): 5:21pm On Nov 13, 2019
Sweetheart, you have you life, leave it to the fullest please not for anyone, your Grace is for your race not for anyone
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by oluwamile(m): 5:24pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

one thing I have learnt is that do not let anyone put u under pressure,I gained admission at 21 unilag,same pharmacy,am going into my finals now,my dad was comparing me with people's children but I remained focus,just wait till wen u finish pharmacy,then u will see that u have surpassed those that have gone ahead of u in terms of finances

4 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by obowunmi(m): 5:24pm On Nov 13, 2019
Be strong. Ignore your mother. Sometimes the people you want to be there for you, will NEVER EVER be there. Hang in tight.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Perkins1: 5:26pm On Nov 13, 2019
Sue your mother! This is a crime against humanity.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Phreshmann12(m): 5:29pm On Nov 13, 2019
Stuffs like that happens alot... Me personally I am start 100 level in a school that my mates have graduated from or are in final year now.. I see them and they are like what happened.... I just smile and move on... Las Las who gk make am go am

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by distilledwalex(m): 5:36pm On Nov 13, 2019
DonBenny77:
Your own better na, you never hear people story. In this country veterans still living with their parents is a normal phenomenon these days. Only 21 she dey complain.
You for just dey laugh your Mama.
If you like go and kill yourself, them go carry your body go police station......
She die wrongfully be dat.. at 21.. I still write jamb upandan .. if na m le ehn.. the kind life wey I go dey laff.. the mama go think say I don dey mad..
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by billbonesmd(m): 5:36pm On Nov 13, 2019
Don't worry about her.
Bend down and finish pharmacy. You will never regret it, ever.. I'm a Dr BTW.
iaamxavier:

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by udemzyudex(m): 5:39pm On Nov 13, 2019
hemlock0:
Misplaced depression, I know of a lady that gained admission at 23 still same pharmacy she has graduated now and living a fulfilled life. Time doesn't define you what defines you is the amount of work you put into the time spent, go make good grades and your mum will be proud of you.

Tell that to his mum.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Bimpe29: 5:39pm On Nov 13, 2019
I like your words of wisdom and I salute your intelligence.
hemlock0:
Misplaced depression, I know of a lady that gained admission at 23 still same pharmacy she has graduated now and living a fulfilled life. Time doesn't define you what defines you is the amount of work you put into the time spent, go make good grades and your mum will be proud of you.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by SalamRushdie: 5:50pm On Nov 13, 2019
Lol
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by PrinceGallant: 5:52pm On Nov 13, 2019
First, I advise you to be good to your mum, love her and always see good about her. Do not let her utterances make you dislike her or act ungodly towards her. Remember, she has suffered a lot for you.

As regards what she said, do not bother yourself with that, just be focus. Be hopeful that you are going to hit it high in the end. It is now how far but how well. You can't run faster than your destiny.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 13, 2019
saydfact:

AGE IS JUST A NUMBER - you could be done with schooling at 21 and useless useful to yourself and parents at 30.....

read up the story of the man who started KFC - You would appreciate yourself more.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by UnitedFront: 6:02pm On Nov 13, 2019
donbachi:
U and ur mother no serious...pikin no go school wahala,pikin try go,him go late... some people prayed to study pharmacy like u are doing today, after writing jamb for 5years,but ended up studying agric economics. what is 7years...do u even know d number of youths praying for such?..abeg make I hear words...2moro na ur mama go dance pass u wey go d school..she will be going around telling people "my daughter is a pharmacist" both who ask her and who no ask her...may GOD see u thru in Jesus name and graduate in flying colours.

Should I bless you for describing "my journey" in life perfectly or curse for mocking "me"? I wanted to study pharmacy, that was all I wanted. I wrote UME six times and spent seven years at home. I ended up studying Agric Econs. Nine years now after graduation, I'm not even working with the certificate.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by donbachi(m): 6:05pm On Nov 13, 2019
UnitedFront:

Should I bless you for describing "my journey" in life perfectly or curse for mocking "me"? I wanted to study pharmacy, that was all I wanted. I wrote UME six times and spent seven years at home. I ended up studying Agric Econs. Nine years now after graduation, I'm not even working with the certificate.
Sorry..it wasn't my intention to remind u of dat...but,always know dat we are all connected.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:08pm On Nov 13, 2019
EddyRx:
Well. As a professional , that's not a bad age to start, just try and finish at your expected year of graduation, not an easy journey. You can still be in school meet your heart throb and get married it won't stop your professional path too. This post made me a naira land member and not a guest anymore because I want to encourage you.

Thank you very much smiley seems you're a pharmacist
I can see the Rx

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by namiji2598: 6:10pm On Nov 13, 2019
shakuur:
bros am also a graduate, though nt in those field but I have friends who are graduate of law, medicine and pharmacy, do u knw how much those guys collect when they get employed? so many of those lawyers and pharmacy spent years without any job, after so many stress of studies, so whats the my sister studied OTM and she currently works in A COURT NICN, her salary is even far ahead all the barristers in the court, so whats the use of the so called courses which they studied for 5_7 years, somebody who studied SLT can get employed in an private company can even get paid more than the pharmacy u so called hyped....
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:12pm On Nov 13, 2019
shakuur:

grin grin Me seff I weak

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by maasoap(m): 6:16pm On Nov 13, 2019
Ayemileto:

Going by this statement, it's apparent you've always promise or threaten your parents that you'll leave their house before age 25, but with the current circumstances, it appears that won't be possible.

I think the only thing you can do is to ensure you leave the house just the way you promised.

Learn a trade and have a side hustle so that you become less dependent on your parents.

Reading through the entire writeup above, it's apparent your mum sees you as a burden to them(your parents), so the only thing that can really reduce or stop the nagging is if you stop asking them for things. That is, if you become financially independent.

So find a trade and try to become financially independent and watch things change.

How can a sensible, selfless and caring mother see her kid of 21 years old as burden?
How can he reduce or stop asking them for things at 21 and when he just got admission to study Pharmacy?
And there is no way he can be financially independent in kind of condition!

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:16pm On Nov 13, 2019
Judybash93:
You've got a beautiful life ahead of you... You're young and from your post, i assume that you're a bright lady. Keep your head up and don't let anybody distract you...

Thanks smiley

But I be guy o grin
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by wolebest: 6:16pm On Nov 13, 2019
My dear you better focus on your studies and make good grades. It's good you have an OND in the kitty, you can even get a job and develop yourself and take care of you parents and siblings.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Tarabye: 6:16pm On Nov 13, 2019
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:17pm On Nov 13, 2019
InvertedHammer:

/
What percentage of graduates are living a fulfilled life in Nigeria? Some are unemployed or underemployed. Your biggest concern should be how to finance your education.

No be who first start dey win race. Life na general market.

Shoot me an email.

/

Thanks for this piece smiley

I've sent you an email too
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iamKeo(m): 6:19pm On Nov 13, 2019
You have your own time bro don't let her words hour you take your time. Don't be in a hurry it's your time line.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My "Couple's Life" Experience In Higher Institution / 10 Nigerians That Actually Have Two Heads / Please Help!!!!! What Is Maurid Polytechnic?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.