Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me (44753 Views)

I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ / What’s The Most Painful Thing A Lecturer Has Ever Done Or Said To You? / My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by OOSmilling(m): 7:19am On Nov 14, 2019
@op, don't be bothered, dat is nigerian parents especially in d West, dey like to compare, just be focused and make dem proud, those ones u think are ahead of u might not really ahead of u in d Labour market. wot if u finish and u get job in total or Chevron those ones ahead of u in school would admire u. Ur parents would deny Dat early accusation. im talking from experience, one my colleague could not get job until like 5 years later when some of us had already layed our hands on some job. behold, he got his own with NLNG, was flown to UK for training, d money hê realized within a year pass what his others Colleagues have gathered in 5 years. Just smile whenever dey compare u and focus more. Ur parents are not God.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by ebullient19(f): 11:33am On Nov 14, 2019
Now everybody have got a story to tell hmmm
Mine is quite long sha but I will advice you to believe in yourself and trust yourself to find something good doing, even before graduation
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by ogawisdom(m): 11:34am On Nov 14, 2019
Budline1:

It's not even about getting a job, it is about making it in life. Ppl make it legally without working for anyone.

people also make it in life without going to university so why is being a graduate such a goldmine to op

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by clapper04: 12:45pm On Nov 14, 2019
Lamanii22:

Time indeed doesn't define you... I myself started uni this year and I'm 24... And my first semester result was really good... Didn't even know i'm still brilliant... My friends that have graduated since were like I'm the one really enjoying uni....

Lol pls when did you finish high school?
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Budline1(m): 3:55pm On Nov 14, 2019
ogawisdom:

people also make it in life without going to university so why is being a graduate such a goldmine to op

Abi, just that primary education is needed in all aspects of the present world.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by ChyjoskyJ: 4:52pm On Nov 14, 2019
iaamxavier:
embarassed embarassed I'm writing this post with a heavy heart

So I'm 21 and I finished secondary school at age 17 (2015) and to be honest I just got admission this year to study pharmacy while my mates are in their final year and it hurts alot because my mum keeps telling me that my cousin is in final year and is about serving next year and I'm just gaining admission to a university, she even uses her friend's child as an example and it made me go into a Little depression, I actually felt sad because for the first time a comparison actually hit me...

She claims they (my parents)are supposed to be resting and not paying school fee. That I'm stressing them and ever since I was a teenager I always vowed that I wanted to leave my father house before 25yrs of age

Now I'm studying a 5 years course (7 years to become a full graduate) and by then I'll be 28 I actually feel ashamed because this isn't what I wanted since I left secondary school
I wanted to finish on time and remove the burden from them

I've never failed jamb, my least Score was 245 but circumstances kept dragging me back

I finished my ND program in 2017 (Distinction in SLT Yabatech)

So it feels more like I'm parambulating up and down and don't know what I want for my self but I actually do!!

I need an advice or something to make me feel better or confident about my self sad

My dear I was in this kind of predicament many years ago. Please don't do anything funny. call me on 08063852051 God bless you.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Success410: 5:21pm On Nov 14, 2019
moscobabs:
I understand yu bro but allow me to share my story with you maybe u will be motivated.

I finished my secondary school in year 2000, my parents are not rich to even register me for jamb. I have two friends that have better parents,one obtained Army recruitment form while the other obtained Police form and they were lucky to be selected after 5months they have started receiving salary while I remain home drinking gaari and depend on my parent.

My parents especially my dad put pressure on me that me too should try obtain either of the forms so I can start receiving salary and taking care of my siblings. I made a statement that day..I told my dad " Baami I will not obtain recruit form, I will go to school become a career man and I will take care of you,my mum and my siblings but daddy I promise you I will build house,buy car,marry and do all the good thing when these guys are doing great things" my dad couldn't reply me he just smile, people will be making jest of me when ever these guys come around,will give them money,gift but I was home waiting for when I will get money for jamb.

I eventually gained admission into The polytechnic Ibadan in 2002/03 that wasn't my choice but I have to go to higher institution. I did some funny job to sponsored myself to finish ND in 2005 time is going and I'm already 23yrs old, I came to Lagos and look for job, after many tries I got a better one in 2009 at age 27(Even with ND ) this job change my life till date, I go back for my HND in 2010 (pt) . One day the Solder among my friends called me if I have like #400k to buy land,thank God i have the #400k he bought the land for me and he took me to the land and even show me his own with uncompleted 3 bedroom flat on it,in two months my building is completed just remain roofing, Four months after I completed my house even bfre his, at age 30 i have own what a man must have.Today I'm better (not my power but by God grace)

My problem do not allow your parent words disorganize you, everybody has his/her time, be focused and believe in yourself, the fact that your friends graduated bfre u doesn't mean they will be employed bfre you and even if they got employed bfre u ..it doesn't mean you will not excel/succeed pass them.You have your destiny and they have theirs.

Peace be unto you and pls face your studies and say no to cultism .
I pray God will keep uplifting you and pave way for me

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Success410: 5:22pm On Nov 14, 2019
ChyjoskyJ:

My dear I was in this kind of predicament many years ago. Please don't do anything funny. call me on 08063852051 God bless you.
Scam
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Samsonklin(m): 6:57am On Nov 15, 2019
This is the reason why I keep telling people, my mother is the best in whole wild world. My mother will never pressure me, has never pressured me for anything in this life rather, she tells me. Don't worry, God will do it. Don't worry just calm down, be careful, God will do it. People should stop saying African parents are like this, it's ridiculous. Ah! God go bless you momsi.

I'm sorry about your predicament bro. Just take it easy. You mama love you regardless.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Lamanii22(f): 11:20am On Nov 15, 2019
clapper04:

Lol pls when did you finish high school?

2010... I finished quite early... I was 15
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by clapper04: 9:01pm On Nov 15, 2019
Lamanii22:

2010... I finished quite early... I was 15
Yikes. That was quite a long time. 9yrs..

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by hemlock0(m): 11:14am On Nov 19, 2019
Hcqmela:
its not misplaced. It seems you have never been compared with your fellow peers before by a parent most especially mothers. I understand the OP well cos I have been in same situation too.Stop saying the depression is misplaced cos comparison normally is bad not to talk of when a parent is doing that to a child knowing fully well the circumstances wasn't the child's doing.
Hahahaha... I can't help but laugh, i stayed at home for five years after finishing secondary school my elder brother that was my closest pal told me my brains stop at 190, for reasons I don't know my scores kept on stopping at the 190 range. I decided to change the narrative with the last jamb I wrote, and today I am a graduate doing well for myself. You see this life, you start dieing the moment people's words start getting to you. Compare me how you like I don't care, at the right time everything will fall in place.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by nengibo: 8:00am On Nov 23, 2019
Ciscogod:

CCNP, I'm actually preparing for my CCIE LAB, but yet to get a date in dubai.. Everything is booked sad sad sad sad sad
Gm, hw did you prepare for your written, which materials did you use...thanks
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by edoairways: 2:29pm On Nov 23, 2019
TechCapon:
That's African parents for you but if you start comparing them to dangote and otedola, they will say you lack respect and home training.
grin grin
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Hauwi(f): 9:41am On Nov 24, 2019
Reuben2012:

I know how you feel bro. Honestly, our parent attitude towards some issue that pertain to our Progress in life goes a long way.

I remember two events that happen in my life. The first one was when I received my O level result(NECO) and i told my mom that I dont have 5 credit. I think I had four then. I was expecting her to insult me rather she encouraged me to put more effort in the next one I will be writing that same year.
The second one was when I resigned from bank job as a contract staff to pick up a career job in Lagos. unfortunately, I was sack from that job the third week. chai, mehn. No be small thing. I refused to tell my mom what happened to me and I dont want to travel back to where I came from but when hunger took hold of me. I had no choice than to call my mom and tell her the truth about what happened to me. I called her on phone and narrated everything to her. she said "Lekan that is life for you as a man. Life still goes on."
I was expecting her to Insult me that why did you make sure move. leaving certainty for uncertainty. she sent 5k to me twice before I got another job. Honestly, it's a miracle because I was just favoured
My point is this Let God be the source of your joy. Dont let Negative opinion of anybody bring you down.Let God be the source of your Inspiration.

There are some life threatening situation you might find yourself. At that point where nobody is there to motivate or encourage. Let the word of God do the soothing. Its written..... coat the scriptures. it works.

Hi good day please I have questions as regards bank contract staff can we talk via WhatsApp?
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by UnitedFront: 10:28pm On Feb 06, 2020
iaamxavier:

I guess you're doing great??

IIt's getting better day by day brother. Thanks
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 4:58pm On Apr 26, 2020
Nice contribution to the thread

Thanks y'all
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Catalyst002(m): 4:50am On Apr 28, 2020
iaamxavier:
Nice contribution to the thread

Thanks y'all

If I should start telling my own story, I will write a long story. Just remain focus.
Which uni are you and what year?
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Loris576(m): 10:39am On Apr 28, 2020
iaamxavier:
embarassed embarassed I'm writing this post with a heavy heart

So I'm 21 and I finished secondary school at age 17 (2015) and to be honest I just got admission this year to study pharmacy while my mates are in their final year and it hurts alot because my mum keeps telling me that my cousin is in final year and is about serving next year and I'm just gaining admission to a university, she even uses her friend's child as an example and it made me go into a Little depression, I actually felt sad because for the first time a comparison actually hit me...

She claims they (my parents)are supposed to be resting and not paying school fee. That I'm stressing them and ever since I was a teenager I always vowed that I wanted to leave my father house before 25yrs of age

Now I'm studying a 5 years course (7 years to become a full graduate) and by then I'll be 28 I actually feel ashamed because this isn't what I wanted since I left secondary school
I wanted to finish on time and remove the burden from them

I've never failed jamb, my least Score was 245 but circumstances kept dragging me back

I finished my ND program in 2017 (Distinction in SLT Yabatech)

So it feels more like I'm parambulating up and down and don't know what I want for my self but I actually do!!

I need an advice or something to make me feel better or confident about my self sad
Download and Read the code of the extraordinary mind.I have forgotten the author or u mail me to send it to you
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 12:19pm On Apr 28, 2020
Catalyst002:

If I should start telling my own story, I will write a long story. Just remain focus.
Which uni are you and what year?

I'd like to hear it cheesy
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 12:19pm On Apr 28, 2020
Loris576:

Download and Read the code of the extraordinary mind.I have forgotten the author or u mail me to send it to you

Your email?
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Loris576(m): 1:22pm On Apr 28, 2020
[quote author=iaamxavier post=88946107]
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by aleruoluwafemi: 3:09pm On Apr 28, 2020
Please explain to your mummy the advantages of studying a professional course . Focus on your study. Many people will jealous you when you achieve your goals

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala / 10 Nigerians That Actually Have Two Heads / Secondary Students Fight With Cutlass In Ibadan (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.