Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me (44740 Views)

I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ / What’s The Most Painful Thing A Lecturer Has Ever Done Or Said To You? / My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Wallade(m): 3:55pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:
embarassed embarassed I'm writing this post with a heavy heart

So I'm 21 and I finished secondary school at age 17 (2015) and to be honest I just got admission this year to study pharmacy while my mates are in their final year and it hurts alot because my mum keeps telling me that my cousin is in final year and is about serving next year and I'm just gaining admission to a university, she even uses her friend's child as an example and it made me go into a Little depression, I actually felt sad because for the first time a comparison actually hit me...

She claims they (my parents)are supposed to be resting and not paying school fee. That I'm stressing them and ever since I was a teenager I always vowed that I wanted to leave my father house before 25yrs of age

Now I'm studying a 5 years course (7 years to become a full graduate) and by then I'll be 28 I actually feel ashamed because this isn't what I wanted since I left secondary school
I wanted to finish on time and remove the burden from them

I've never failed jamb, my least Score was 245 but circumstances kept dragging me back

I finished my ND program in 2017 (Distinction in SLT Yabatech)

So it feels more like I'm parambulating up and down and don't know what I want for my self but I actually do!!

I need an advice or something to make me feel better or confident about my self sad

Keep your head up brother. It is not how soon but how well. Never focus on other people's time to determine yours; every one has his or her time and day.

Keep pushing! Don't mind mum and dad anytime they complain. Stay focused.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 13, 2019
I entered university at age 20 ..nothing spoil my man
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by frozen70g(f): 3:58pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

So I'm 21 and I finished secondary school at age 17 (2015) and to be honest I just got admission this year to study pharmacy while my mates are in their final year and it hurts alot because my mum keeps telling me that my cousin is in final year and is about serving next year and I'm just gaining admission to a university, she even uses her friend's child as an example and it made me go into a Little depression, I actually felt sad because for the first time a comparison actually hit me...

She claims they (my parents)are supposed to be resting and not paying school fee. That I'm stressing them and ever since I was a teenager I always vowed that I wanted to leave my father house before 25yrs of age

Now I'm studying a 5 years course (7 years to become a full graduate) and by then I'll be 28 I actually feel ashamed because this isn't what I wanted since I left secondary school

I've never failed jamb, my least Score was 245 but circumstances kept dragging me back

So it feels more like I'm parambulating up and down and don't know what I want for my self but I actually do!!

I need an advice or something to make me feel better or confident about my self sad

My dear, you just want to get disturbed because you took her words personally

What if you are gone, she would have preferred having you around her in whichever way

Your mum is preparing you for challenges and you are here allowing your emotions to detect for you

Shake it off and start going to school for registration and classes

Make sure you don't come home often and try and come out with distinction so that she will be humbled

Mothers can tell you things that will make you locate your placenter where it was buried

Drop those feelings before you take a decision that will affect you and she will still tell you the worst words

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by dives(m): 4:01pm On Nov 13, 2019
Never, I repeat, never ever compare yourself with someone else. We all have different paths in Life. Comparing your self with others will not help you see how much God has blessed you in a way unique to only you. Just believe in yourself, always stay around people who bring out the positive side in you, have a lazer like focus and be the best at what you do. Also, you can apply for state busaries and scholarships that would be usueful in helping you through school. There are several of them. FGN, MTN, Shell, Total. Just google Undergraduate Scholarships in Nigeria. I hope this helps. And cheers to a bright future.

iaamxavier:

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Roland17(m): 4:01pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

It is refreshing to read that as a young man you put pressure on yourself to achieve set targets in life. This is important because it keeps you away from being complacent and comfortable. When things change, you make adjustments to your plan, avoid dueling too long on disappointments, pick yourself up quick and learn from that experience.
You are on the right track, let your parents fuel your motivation to succeed and it is important that you know they love you and would be the first to celebrate you once you are done with school.
Stay focused...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Raymondluv(m): 4:06pm On Nov 13, 2019
ambitiouschap:
we are in the same condition, even mine is worse cos I have not gained admission, leave secondary school at 16. I even slept with tears last night, but I am trying to get money ooo, even are those who graduated not the one complaining here everyday.

me I dey try kdp, forex, even I don own sport blog , my topic just reach front page now ( villa retirement) . see everyone with their own time , don't be depressed .
how old are you now?
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by worldclass68(m): 4:07pm On Nov 13, 2019
maybe she should had compared you to your mate in prison, morgue, yaba left, agbero bois( not being disrespectful) or those ones wey them no even see at all........then she go understand how ungrateful she is ......pls live life ur own way and stop trying to please people cuz u will end up disappointing ur self and might result to story that touches heart ( snipper ) hopefully not.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by jaymorgan(m): 4:08pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

You should be grateful to God bro!
I finished secondary school in 2015 and I've been writing jamb since then with strong desire to study medicine and surgery but it was just not my time.
My mum has been the one encouraging me to keep trying bro. Am 21, my mates just started their NYSC while I just started pre degree in medicine. I loved to ho to school but if it weren't for my mom, I had decided to quit school. Move on bro the masterplan of your life is with your creator. When you were in mommy's womb mommy couldn't see you but Hod could. Right now when you dress up and cover yourself, your bones are still exposed to God.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by techliteup: 4:10pm On Nov 13, 2019
Your own still better, Let me use myself as an example, I finish my secondary at the age of 19 and now I am 25years and I am yet to gain admission into a tertiary institution of my choice so never give up and never be discouraged.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by joepepsy(m): 4:11pm On Nov 13, 2019
Let me burst your bubble,what's happening to you is great and good,just channel the frustration to your education and you will come out with first class.
iaamxavier:

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by SocialJustice: 4:13pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

Your case isn't special. Just overlook, worst case, let her know you don't like the comparison politely.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Thunderblasts(m): 4:14pm On Nov 13, 2019
Next time she does that, remind her that there are billionaire mothers our there making money and not talking down on their kids!!!

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by awoo47: 4:15pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

21 entering uni
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by EddyRx: 4:16pm On Nov 13, 2019
Well. As a professional , that's not a bad age to start, just try and finish at your expected year of graduation, not an easy journey. You can still be in school meet your heart throb and get married it won't stop your professional path too. This post made me a naira land member and not a guest anymore because I want to encourage you.

3 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Homguy(m): 4:17pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

I am a Pharmacist who graduated from a Nigerian university fairly late. While it's quite insensitive of your mother to make comparisons with other people because we are all different, let me tell you that you only have to be focused. When you are done reading pharmacy, you will be the star of your family and be very comfortable financially.
I had a lot, a lot of classmates that were in their mid - 30's when they graduated and they are all very very comfortable today. Also pharmacists are never jobless, it's a course that makes it easier for you to travel out and succeed anywhere like myself. So just be focused. Peace.

7 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by tosyne2much(m): 4:18pm On Nov 13, 2019
I have delay stories too but only if the OP knows that things like this make us focus and stronger

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Homguy(m): 4:20pm On Nov 13, 2019
awoo47:
21 entering uni
you even quoted the author with this nonsense post. Your life must be a very miserable one, and misery always seeks company, but you will be alone on this one lipsrsealed
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by godofuck231: 4:21pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

your mother is going trough menopause or something, women say and do things the never mean when frustrated or pushed , be careful with your replies and thinking , if you listen to woman mouth , you go offend god.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by gulfer: 4:23pm On Nov 13, 2019
Your mummy should appreciate you are still alive, so many have died just like so many have graduated. So many also graduated and do not have jobs angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by midnighter(f): 4:29pm On Nov 13, 2019
Judybash93:
You've got a beautiful life ahead of you... You're young and from your post, i assume that you're a bright lady. Keep your head up and don't let anybody distract you...

Lmao why does everybody think OP is a girl

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Realist1(m): 4:34pm On Nov 13, 2019
Everyone can't do or achieve everything at thesame time in life.If that happens,life will be boring.Just focus on your life and be positive some people are still struggling to get into school at 27 and some way earlier at 16.It doesn't mean who finishes school earliest gets to be the richest,most famous or most educated. Some Albert Einstein,Stephen Hawkings,Bill Gates and Dangote mates finished school before them.I understand every now and then everyone has some low moments but don't make it permanent.Trust me people have way more weighty problems than just seemingly getting into school late but we keep pushing on.Dreams are achieved by the personal desire or passion you fuel it with.Face your lane and fire on.

However you should ĺet your Mum know that she is leading you into depression.She speaks as if she is no longer proud to be your mum it is getting to you.She should be on your side as a mum should and be your biggest fan to cheer you on instead of cheering on your opponent as it looks like now. Although you are actually not competing with anyone but it still does look like that to her.It's good you talk to her so that the source of the depressing words gets nipped.Then you can focus.Good luck!

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by spencekat(m): 4:35pm On Nov 13, 2019
TechCapon:
That's African parents for you but if you start comparing them to dangote and otedola, they will say you lack respect and home training.
Thank God for some parents in this generation.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Enskynelson(m): 4:42pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

My dear, you need to look beyond and see that you have left some of your mates behind as well. Please, don't let her talks deter u.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by HarunaWest(m): 4:45pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

calm down dude..sorry about your mum's outburst..she's frustrated due to Nigerias worsening economy..The cost of raising kids nowadays has doubled compared to some years back..Well lemme give you a glimmer of hope. My Elder brother spent 8 years in secondary school, 6 years @ home seeking for admission and 3 years in the labour market. He graduated at the age of 28yrs as well. Buh Thank God he has surpassed many of his peers as we speak infact, with the way he is rising, he will go places in future.

So dust yourself up and forge ahead cos life is just awkward atimes buh it's all survival of the fittest. Sorry for the bad grammar,typed in a hurry.

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by gnykelly(m): 4:47pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

that is just one of the sad realities of life... be prepared because this our society is the one you learn to block your hears to opinions... in the near future you will still be attacked with 'when are you going to get married'

you need to grow thick skin and learn to focus.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by BOOOMNAIJA: 4:48pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by TechCapon(m): 4:54pm On Nov 13, 2019
Ciscogod:

CCNP, I'm actually preparing for my CCIE LAB, but yet to get a date in dubai.. Everything is booked sad sad sad sad sad
mehn, I started this journey last year but stopped along the way because I was discouraged. My friend who is a CCNA finds it difficult to get a job with it because companies require a mimimum of CCNP. I'm currently running Amazon AWS CERT
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by richiepolymer(m): 4:54pm On Nov 13, 2019
cheesy
Exactly!
I did the same thing some years back when my mum compared me with some of my mates who were ahead of me in achievement. I told my mum that Dora Akunyili and Alakija are her mates and it cut her like a Knife. Since dat time everybody just maintain. cheesy

TechCapon:
That's African parents for you but if you start comparing them to dangote and otedola, they will say you lack respect and home training.

3 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by DaSailor: 4:55pm On Nov 13, 2019
Bro just focus on your studies and do not give thoughts to your mum's taunts. You will be graduating at 28 if all goes according to plan right? That is same time some of us started school and have graduated and earning a living. It is not how far but how well.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by DNSPro: 4:56pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

Because you asked for it, let me tell you the story of my friend because it helped me one time when I was depressed

My friend left secondary school at the age of 16 and got admission a year later. Unfortunately, strike made him lost that admission.

He is one brilliant dude, forking brilliant.

He spent over 5 years at home while his mates were already graduating.

By the time he would gain admission, they still denied him entry and sent him to pre-degree lol.

Baba sha took it and came late for that semester. By end of the semester, he topped the whole class..

Long and short, he graduated with distinction and would have left with the best results if not politics.

Eventually, Total oil company took him and he is now better than many of those that graduated before him. Last time I was at his house, the entire house was powered by solar, every freaking thing in the house is powered by Solar and that is some millions, nothing less than 5Million to achieve.

Focus on your race and stay sharp. Try to develop yourself beyond the four walls of school. Be smart and well equipped to solve real world problems.

3 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Ciscogod(m): 5:03pm On Nov 13, 2019
TechCapon:
mehn, I started this journey last year but stopped along the way because I was discouraged. My friend who is a CCNA finds it difficult to get a job with it because companies require a mimimum of CCNP. I'm currently running Amazon AWS CERT

Bro , dont be discouraged, i searched for job after my CCNA but couldnt find job in the field.. 3 yrs later when the cert expired i got a job as a core IP engr in an ISP.. it wasnt a luck thou cos i do prepare myself and get ready even thou the job aint coming.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My "Couple's Life" Experience In Higher Institution / 10 Nigerians That Actually Have Two Heads / Please Help!!!!! What Is Maurid Polytechnic?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.