Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,666 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me (44757 Views)

I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ / What’s The Most Painful Thing A Lecturer Has Ever Done Or Said To You? / My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:19pm On Nov 13, 2019
HacheNoire:
Its not how far but how well.

We all using different watches.

I gained admission at 16 and ended up spending 10years in the university

Even when i knew it was over for me, I graduated to the amazing shock of my life. Got employed by a multinational 2 months after NYSC

Yeah, I got duded who graduated at the right time and doing fine even before I graduated but I caught up with them in few years and fell in their ranks

As of date, I can only give thanks to powers that make one breath.

Overlook those words and hope for the best.

I got duded who got admission early like myself presently in their graves.

Their is a set timing

shocked I'm shook!

Thank God you made it
I'm happy for you smiley wink

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by UnitedFront: 6:22pm On Nov 13, 2019
donbachi:
Sorry..it wasn't my intention to remind u of dat...but,always know dat we are all connected.

No need to apologise, I was pulling your leg now. Had I known that I was going to end up as a businessman, I wouldn't have wasted my time seeking admission to study pharmacy at all. The lesson is that I won't allow my kids to waste their time like that.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:22pm On Nov 13, 2019
Opeoluwaabel:
My dear Op, please i beg of you do keep your focus o, keep the star soaring as you have always been a star. i bet you by the time they start seeing that star shinning they will come to celebrate you, you will become there special one. you know, our parents can be insensitive at time, i beg just keep flying high, God bless you.

wink smiley Best advice

Thank you soooo much I'm happy
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:23pm On Nov 13, 2019
Unie30:
Please babe, if you are not comfortable there, you can come over to my place ok.

grin grin I be Guy
But can I still come over tongue
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:24pm On Nov 13, 2019
Leebeedo:

OP, don't worry, everything will be fine. I had same experience and I must confess it sucked then.

I never knew God's plan for me. I sat at home for 7yrs despite passing JAMB severally.....Couldn't secure admission. I had to go for IJMBE and passed with 13 points yet couldn't secure admission.

I remember clearly when I went to ABU, zaria (2003) to struggle for admission, and maneuvered my way to the office of the academic secretary then (which is the admissions officer) to plead with him and he sounded a clear warning saying : YOUNG MAN LEAVE MY OFFICE , THIS SCHOOL IS NOT FOR SOUTHERNERS. I wept that day because I saw northerners with 3 points gaining admission and screaming allah akhbar at the main gate.

At a time , I threw away my WAEC and IJMBE cert when I was rejected at common Caritas University Enugu just because I'm from Delta State. The excuse was that Deltans usually engage in cult activities. That really hit the limit for me , I couldn't take it no more so I threw my certificates away on my way back to Lagos. Someone picked them up, saw my dad's mobile number written on the file and called him. My dad arranged for them to be posted to Lagos. That was how I got the docs back.

I finally secured admission, but I really put my family through hell. Tuition was really expensive and I felt bad and selfish but God was merciful and saw me through school. I channelled that anger towards my studies and made good grades.

Today, my story is different. So many of my age grade secured admission before me and at the so called right time but cannot come close to places I have access to. I've travelled to so many countries to the extent that I'm tired of travelling. I really thank God for his mercies.

As the for B.B Msheltlila (not sure of the spelling) the then academic secretary of ABU, Zaria (2003) that threw me out of his office, I have no grudge towards you, you prepared me for greater me.

To the OP, stay strong. You're being prepared for a greater you, channel this pain and anger towards your studies, pray , stay positive and watch your dreams come through.

shocked shocked OMG! This is very inspiring

Thank God for your Life now oo

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by richiepolymer(m): 6:24pm On Nov 13, 2019
cheesy cheesy

TechCapon:
lol, how I wish I had the guts to do such e for sweet me die. But since she controlled the food in the house then, na to just swallow the insult unless you wan do dry fasting by force grin
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by UnitedFront: 6:24pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

shocked I'm shook!

Thank God you made it
I'm happy for you smiley wink

Your priority should be money needed to see your study through, life and good health to see the next seven years and beyond

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by leonard509(m): 6:25pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:
embarassed embarassed I'm writing this post with a heavy heart

So I'm 21 and I finished secondary school at age 17 (2015) and to be honest I just got admission this year to study pharmacy while my mates are in their final year and it hurts alot because my mum keeps telling me that my cousin is in final year and is about serving next year and I'm just gaining admission to a university, she even uses her friend's child as an example and it made me go into a Little depression, I actually felt sad because for the first time a comparison actually hit me...

She claims they (my parents)are supposed to be resting and not paying school fee. That I'm stressing them and ever since I was a teenager I always vowed that I wanted to leave my father house before 25yrs of age

Now I'm studying a 5 years course (7 years to become a full graduate) and by then I'll be 28 I actually feel ashamed because this isn't what I wanted since I left secondary school
I wanted to finish on time and remove the burden from them

I've never failed jamb, my least Score was 245 but circumstances kept dragging me back

I finished my ND program in 2017 (Distinction in SLT Yabatech)

So it feels more like I'm parambulating up and down and don't know what I want for my self but I actually do!!

I need an advice or something to make me feel better or confident about my self sad
Start finding alternative sources of income and start spending most of your time outside home. Start living the independent life as soon as possible by fending for yourself.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:26pm On Nov 13, 2019
frozen70g:

My dear little sister, you just want to get disturbed because you took her words personally

What if you are gone, she would have preferred having you around her in whichever way

Your mum is preparing you for challenges and you are here allowing your emotions to detect for you

Shake it off and start going to school for registration and classes

Make sure you don't come home often and try and come out with distinction so that she will be humbled

Mothers can tell you things that will make you locate your placenter where it was buried

Drop those feelings before you take a decision that will affect you and she will still tell you the worst words

Thank for this wonderful advice
I promise you and my much that I'll come out with this distinction by God's grace smiley

By the way I be guy o cheesy
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:26pm On Nov 13, 2019
techliteup:
Your own still better, Let me use myself as an example, I finish my secondary at the age of 19 and now I am 25years and I am yet to gain admission into a tertiary institution of my choice so never give up and never be discouraged.

shocked

I'm sure there's a story behind it

But we thank God you're still alive
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:28pm On Nov 13, 2019
Homguy:
I am a Pharmacist who graduated from a Nigerian university fairly late. While it's quite insensitive of your mother to make comparisons with other people because we are all different, let me tell you that you only have to be focused. When you are done reading pharmacy, you will be the star of your family and be very comfortable financially.
I had a lot, a lot of classmates that were in their mid - 30's when they graduated and they are all very very comfortable today. Also pharmacists are never jobless, it's a course that makes it easier for you to travel out and succeed anywhere like myself. So just be focused. Peace.

Thank you very much for this I'm grateful

Long live the "men of honour"

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:28pm On Nov 13, 2019
midnighter:

Lmao why does everybody think OP is a girl

grin cheesy grin Me seff I don't know oo when it clearly states that I'm a guy on my profile

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Dannonye(f): 6:28pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

So I'm 21 and I finished secondary school at age 17 (2015) and to be honest I just got admission this year to study pharmacy while my mates are in their final year and it hurts alot because my mum keeps telling me that my cousin is in final year and is about serving next year and I'm just gaining admission to a university, she even uses her friend's child as an example and it made me go into a Little depression, I actually felt sad because for the first time a comparison actually hit me...

She claims they (my parents)are supposed to be resting and not paying school fee. That I'm stressing them and ever since I was a teenager I always vowed that I wanted to leave my father house before 25yrs of age

Now I'm studying a 5 years course (7 years to become a full graduate) and by then I'll be 28 I actually feel ashamed because this isn't what I wanted since I left secondary school

I've never failed jamb, my least Score was 245 but circumstances kept dragging me back

So it feels more like I'm parambulating up and down and don't know what I want for my self but I actually do!!

I need an advice or something to make me feel better or confident about my self sad

Timing differs
some people die at 30
Some 75
Timing my dear
So relax and be happy
Don't start a journey with a heavy mind

You'll finish well
Your patience will pay off
Watch

Besides do not let your parents words get to you
They care but cannot express
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:30pm On Nov 13, 2019
vowiski:

Send me a mail, I have a story to tell you

I'd be thrilled to hear i have sent an email smiley wink
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:30pm On Nov 13, 2019
oluwamile:
one thing I have learnt is that do not let anyone put u under pressure,I gained admission at 21 unilag,same pharmacy,am going into my finals now,my dad was comparing me with people's children but I remained focus,just wait till wen u finish pharmacy,then u will see that u have surpassed those that have gone ahead of u in terms of finances

smiley You dey give me hope small small bro

Thanks
Long live the "men of honour"
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:31pm On Nov 13, 2019
billbonesmd:
Don't worry about her.
Bend down and finish pharmacy. You will never regret it, ever.. I'm a Dr BTW.

smiley Amazing!!
Doctor of pharmacy or what?
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:32pm On Nov 13, 2019
UnitedFront:

Should I bless you for describing "my journey" in life perfectly or curse for mocking "me"? I wanted to study pharmacy, that was all I wanted. I wrote UME six times and spent seven years at home. I ended up studying Agric Econs. Nine years now after graduation, I'm not even working with the certificate.

I guess you're doing great??
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:35pm On Nov 13, 2019
UnitedFront:

Your priority should be money needed to see your study through, life and good health to see the next seven years and beyond

Of course man that is the Goal and that has always been the goal

See you at the top wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Gwagone: 6:35pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

Your parent want you out of school in time while my father doesn't care at all. My dad must not hear I bought jamb form, the time and last time I used my own money to buy jamb form, I don't even know how he got to know... He was very angry and said that 'instead of me to save and invest, I am thinking about school'. I am still not happy about it......

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Ejaisky: 6:35pm On Nov 13, 2019
This is the funniest thing I have read in a very long time.... You very depressed because you in year one while you are in final year? Smh. May God make life easy for you after graduation. If you start comparing yourself with others now, they are still so many things ahead that people don't get or achieve or get at the same time even if they are age mates or start off together. Graduating, getting a job, better paying job, getting married and whose spouse is better off, child-bearing(some will wait for years and may not even have), quality of living, then what your mother is doing(comparing your children's progress with others), etc. It will be so draining doing all these. You go just kill yourself.
My advice: Live your life. Study hard and strive to succeed. God is never late.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by iaamxavier(m): 6:38pm On Nov 13, 2019
Gwagone:

Your parent want you out of school in time while my father doesn't care at all. My dad must not hear I bought jamb form, the time and last time I used my own money to buy jamb form, I don't even know how he got to know... He was very angry and said that 'instead of me to save and invest, I am thinking about school'. I am still not happy about it......

Make him understand that you want to go to school by all means and that you can hustle and try and finance your self if he isn't capable
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by afribabe: 6:41pm On Nov 13, 2019
Came4amod:

Start a business in school save and br strict with your time .. follow only rich and serious people avoid all unfortunate people .. dont mind your mom .. just let her be .. and have your secrets kept only to yourself ..
And if everyone will do this, who is going to follow him or allow him to follow cos if he is not rich, then he will probably fall into the other category of the unfortunate people according to your classification. You, can you allow an unfortunate person to follow you if you are rich?? Or you think the rich people are mumu abi?

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by horia: 6:41pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

Bro many of us have seen even worse smiley. see what I learned in the little time I've spent in pharmacy school; Self development should be ur priority. it brings independence and independence frees one from emotional stress such as this.

People feel bad when those they trust most define them in an inferior manner. Make urself proud of you in the things you do. Don't force it, just allow ur best self come out and appreciate who u are, and what you do. Let these define u.

Anyways, always remember that U're a Nigerian. Depression should be a foreign entity. wink
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by brownskilo(m): 6:52pm On Nov 13, 2019
This should be one of the topic with the most reasonable comments I have seen so far on nairaland. No attacks on the poor girl, no thread derailer and no Mr perfectionist.
It seems they've all left nairaland to twitter.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by renewable1(m): 6:52pm On Nov 13, 2019
Call me grin

Affordable solar combo to power your TV, decoder, sound system and fan for 8hours daily... Check my signature now
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Parkwell247: 6:55pm On Nov 13, 2019
Yours is even better than some.
Don't worry bro, once you enter school, you will earn your respect. Moreover, everybody's time is different, do not be depressed because your mate are ahead of you, but it should be something to inspired you.
In everything, give thanks to God

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Budline1(m): 7:00pm On Nov 13, 2019
kendological:
Ignore her, I am 30 , read law graduated with 2nd class lower, a libertarian and Humanist. I did a lot to help myself in life, never wayward, but my mother has never appreciated my effort, without my father encouragement and appreciation, maybe I would have been a murderer or suicide today. but I am mentally strong now and my father is the one who will usually tell me to be patient and easy on myself , I quote him ''a man won't kill himself''. no matter how I try to show her love , it seems she can never appreciate me until I get rich. my younger brother is her ideal man- a religious and first class graduate. my greatest fear is losing my father.

Any relation who is fond of comparing you and making you feel worthless, does not love you but sees you as an investment.

True, no time for bad energies. Sometimes family is overrated.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Budline1(m): 7:04pm On Nov 13, 2019
mastermaestro:

In fact I avoid people with bad energy by all means. They can drain and derail you.

True, bad energies can kill. I can relate. Some ppl can only give bad energies, when it's time for the real responsibilities, they aren't ready. No be person dey send him pikin go abroad go study without complaining.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by golddare: 7:06pm On Nov 13, 2019
It's normal thing, dont kill yourself for that besides things not easy, so understand your parents and look for a way to make them happy, it's easy if you understand them but believe me she doesn't know the negative effect of it. If I were you I will take it as blues that will ginger me to excell .
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Budline1(m): 7:08pm On Nov 13, 2019
ogawisdom:

U are thinking like the kid u are?

Now hear this

It doesn't matter when u graduate, what matters is at what age u will get a good job after graduation.

Some will graduate at 22 and wait 8years b4 getting a decent job ie 30yrs

Others will graduate at 27 and get a decent job after 1 year ie 28.

Jobless graduates are everywhere and some even spend 15 years in labour market.

It's not even about getting a job, it is about making it in life. Ppl make it legally without working for anyone.
Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by goody1shoe73(m): 7:10pm On Nov 13, 2019
iaamxavier:

Thanks alot for this piece

grin grin I'm I really sounding like a girl?

Help me with Macho write up cool
You mean you're not a girl? Anyways knuckle down and work hard, time will quickly fly pass. I graduated at 29,i had some setbacks but I don't think I'm doing badly currently. What will be will be

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me by Hcqmela: 7:12pm On Nov 13, 2019
hemlock0:
Misplaced depression, I know of a lady that gained admission at 23 still same pharmacy she has graduated now and living a fulfilled life. Time doesn't define you what defines you is the amount of work you put into the time spent, go make good grades and your mum will be proud of you.
its not misplaced. It seems you have never been compared with your fellow peers before by a parent most especially mothers. I understand the OP well cos I have been in same situation too.Stop saying the depression is misplaced cos comparison normally is bad not to talk of when a parent is doing that to a child knowing fully well the circumstances wasn't the child's doing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala / 10 Nigerians That Actually Have Two Heads / Nigerian Lady & Her Family At Her Graduation In The US (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.