Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo (80847 Views)

Can You Marry An Ex Hook Up Girl If She Changed? / Ladies: 10 Reasons Why You Should Educate Your Man About Your "Ovulation Period" / Lady About To Marry An Uber Driver She 'Toasted' After He picked her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by mekuxiani(m): 8:21am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:
My Sister Is About To Commit A Serious Taboo All In The Name Of Marriage

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

forget that tradition it's outdated
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 24, 2019
op just raise your hand very high and give your self a very heavy knock on the head so your senses will come to you. you still think of humans as OSU in this age
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by victorazyvictor(m): 8:22am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

Your sister is a hero

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Grupo(m): 8:22am On Nov 24, 2019
mezarddinny:
Igbos and discrimination in 21st century.

They shout marginalisation when it is from other people but do worse to themselves

Igbo slander not allowed here.

Go face your skull mining, ewedu gobbling Brothers in the south west.

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by tomdon(m): 8:22am On Nov 24, 2019
Aren't there very successful Osus?
Those people should be examples of disproving the archaic culture
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by franchasng: 8:22am On Nov 24, 2019
Lexusgs430:

When would this oṣù madness end? This tradition was imposed by humans....... It would take humans to end this nonsense...........
It has ended, but some foolish Igbo herbalists like this foolish op are holding on to it because they are diabolical herbalists angry angry
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by jmaxjohn(m): 8:22am On Nov 24, 2019
Wait oo. Does this make Beverly Osu an outcast?

shocked shocked shii bro!!!
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Bobrisky1: 8:22am On Nov 24, 2019
[s]
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

[/s]
trash trash trash trash
your family is disgusting as hell
bullcrap Balderdash and claptrap
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by RamseyBolton: 8:23am On Nov 24, 2019
The man is a human being and is considered Igbo. They will give birth to wonderful nephews and nieces that you will be proud of. Ditch that Osu thing into the dustbin abeg

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by KIDfurniture(m): 8:23am On Nov 24, 2019
Backward thinkers...osu ok, onabisi state university ni......

TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by roladex(f): 8:23am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

pls go and read Colossians chapter 2 verses 14.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Beverlyjean(f): 8:23am On Nov 24, 2019
pickatyou:
Truth be told your sister is a selfish bastard.

And all of you saying otherwise I believe you are not Igbo or ignorant, I guess if you family member brought an OSU u will welcome them along with all the curses they will bring.
Then you could all happily hug an Ebola victim instead of quarantining them.

The truth here is that when it's starts to manifest ...all those commenting here will hide...OYO for u ...
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by 77up(m): 8:24am On Nov 24, 2019
If this deluded op still take this serious at this age, I wonder what would have happened in 80's o. Chai , igbos yaff done a strong thing to themselves o.

Just imagine this is happening in other tribe,chai our brother would have roast them grin
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Shugargal(f): 8:24am On Nov 24, 2019
Umm! I guess you're from IMO state, it's high time you people stop this osu nansense. that's the way they stopped my course mate from marrying her love just because of osu stuff. for me I know IMO state are very serious about it and we from Anambra don't wanna marry an osu nomater the level of love they gat for each other.as it stands that means your sister's children would be automatically osu.as for me I can't marry an osu.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by alphaNomega: 8:24am On Nov 24, 2019
I stopped reading after Osu
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Odingo1: 8:24am On Nov 24, 2019
For those asking what is Osu cast system

Two things can make someone an Osu in Igbo land in the olden days.

1. If someone commit a crime that is regarded as an abomination and it is required that the person should be stoned to death and the person did not present himself to be killed but run inside the Oracle shrine to seek protection, the people that want to kill him will not enter the shrine to bring him out for killing because an Oracle shrine is a sacred place,but after that the person is own by that oracle and become an Osu.

2. If a person is a migrant that committed abomination in another place and run and seek refuse in another place, the community that granted him asylum and protection will regard him as Osu.

8 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by back2sender: 8:25am On Nov 24, 2019
RoyalBlu:
Osu in 2019

Even the ancestors have moved on.

She'll be fine.
Rather than focus on the issues affecting Nigeria and push for a better Nigeria, they are focus in 16th century hearsay that even the ancestors have moved over neglecting such practices.
You just have to laugh and use some people's orientation to know thier IQ level.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by AndikanEssien(m): 8:25am On Nov 24, 2019
lilwetdick:

Your response is so wack and damn stupid. Are the Asians and Europeans praised for their caste system and racist attitudes. You may have temporarily lost a bit of sense but I'm sure you can recover

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by femo007(m): 8:25am On Nov 24, 2019
Mumu OSU ko asun no,imaging someone that called himself a Christian, pls send me the invitation I want to come to that legend of our time weeding.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by shugabasbn: 8:25am On Nov 24, 2019
What OSU has to do with marriage in this century? But u won't bothered if she married OSU of Asia or America rt?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Kingzy4pep(m): 8:25am On Nov 24, 2019
tchidi066:

Who else
Good reply
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by AntiWailer: 8:26am On Nov 24, 2019
OSU ko OAU ni

U people are mad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Btruth: 8:26am On Nov 24, 2019
while the whole world is moving forward in the 21st century, you and your family are moving backward. What's an Osu? We are all equal in the presence of God, and no man should be label otherwise in this new century.

Please wake up.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by femo007(m): 8:26am On Nov 24, 2019
Shugargal:
Umm! I guess you're from IMO state, it's high time you people stop this osu nansense. that's the way they stopped my course mate from marrying her love just because of osu stuff. for me I know IMO state are very serious about it and we from Anambra don't wanna marry an osu nomater the level of love they gat for each other.as it stands that means your sister's children would be automatically osu.as for me I can't marry an osu.
mumu

4 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by bixton(m): 8:26am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

It would interest us to know which of the igbo speaking states, lga and community.
Anyways I thought some elders of your region came up some time ago to abolish this act and put penalties on anyone stigmatizing others. ..

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by willybaby(m): 8:27am On Nov 24, 2019
mezarddinny:
Igbos and discrimination in 21st century.

They shout marginalisation when it is from other people but do worse to themselves
God bless you, and the want to be president of nigeria they also want biafra the perfect nation... igbos put your house in order stop deceiving your selves ... A United non osu Nigeria is wah we want
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 24, 2019
Beverlyjean:

The truth here is that when it's starts to manifest ...all those commenting here will hide...OYO for u ...

My sister ignorance is what they have.
Funny enough I am not a superstitious person or even too religious, but being from mbaise I have watch how it manifested on a family and eliminated them all because they got greedy and married a rich OSU, even the innocent children where not spared.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by odisman(m): 8:27am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

If u are a believer curses can't can rest on you rather blessings. I wonder why people still hold on to all this fetish pratices.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Money4passion99: 8:27am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

All of u including u and everybody in your village except ur dad are mad ...Big madness ni ooo ..In this 21st century u idiots are still doing this stupid OSU things .Thunder and Ogun kee una there if u disturb the innocent lady's wedding .Awon oloriburuku irankiran .....I am Igbo boy but I just hate this una tradition. Very stupid set of people .

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by SmartyPants(m): 8:27am On Nov 24, 2019
RoyalBlu:
Osu in 2019

Even the ancestors have moved on.

She'll be fine.

Oh the chap is not worried about his sister. He is worried about himself
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 24, 2019
pickatyou:
Truth be told your sister is a selfish bastard.

And all of you saying otherwise I believe you are not Igbo or ignorant, I guess if you family member brought an OSU u will welcome them along with all the curses they will bring.
Then you could all happily hug an Ebola victim instead of quarantining them.
That's what an OSU is in spiritual form, am Ebola victim.

Don't quote me if you are not Igbo.
Caveman tueh. I spit on your incompetence.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by bcashy: 8:27am On Nov 24, 2019
Nonsense! No be only osu, na unilag undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Canadian Lady With Huge Chest Claps Back At Those Who Asked Her To Wear Bra / Man Kneels To Propose To His Big Girlfriend. (Photos) / Michael B. Jordan Is People's Sexiest Man Alive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.