Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,724 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President (47593 Views)

Poll: Was the interview disrespectful or just serious?

disrespectful: 34% (17 votes)
just serious: 66% (33 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Is The Best Nigerian President Since Independence / #Where is CNN Isha Sesay As Ebola Ravages Her Home Country, Sierra Leone? / Who Is The Worst Nigerian President To Date? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by bkbabe97y(m): 8:39pm On Nov 28, 2010
redsun:

I wonder what u will say of interviewers like bill o'reiley and the rest of rednecks and some uncle toms fox news crew.

Are you[b]TRYING[/b] to make sense now or are u just grasping for straws in a futile attempt to bolster your faltering stance on this issue!?!
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by redsun(m): 8:42pm On Nov 28, 2010
The only person that is in trouble is the one that is ashame of exposing the ills in nigeria and africa in general.It is a case of double jeopardy for people to deny their glaring problems.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by redsun(m): 8:45pm On Nov 28, 2010
redsun:

The only person that is in trouble is the one that is ashame of exposing the ills in nigeria and africa in general.It is a case of double jeopardy for people to deny their glaring problems.

She was not rude for bleep sake.She was just interviewing a ''democrazically'' elected dictator.African leader are all demented dictators,with the exception of maybe south africa,where the rule of law applies a little
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 8:45pm On Nov 28, 2010
Princek12:

Poster,
I watched the entire interview and did not see where Isha Sesay disrespected GEJ. Do you want her to kneel down before asking him questions? Do you want her to call GEJ daddy as a sign of respect? She is the interviewer and, as a result, must control the interview, which is what experienced journalists do, for they have limited times within which to get the interviewee to answer all their questions.

Sadly, the problem with people like you, like many Nigerians, is that you are used to having your speech restricted for so long, and you are not used to seeing journalists who freely challenge authority. So when you now see a Western journalist who is challenging authority by asking difficult questions, in an attempt to elicit an answer, you call that disrespect.

Maybe you should point to the specific time that the alleged disrespect occurred. You are probably one of those villagers who thinks women should unreasonably subordinate themselves to a man to show him respect. Get a friggin life!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

at last - the voice of reason - thank you sir
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 8:49pm On Nov 28, 2010
redsun:

U are just a nuisance that never seems to have outright stands.What is moronic about her altitude?At a point she was even scared of agbero,jonathan that got spontaneously angry when he was asked about the endemic corruption in nigeria.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

preach it bro grin grin grin grin
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 8:56pm On Nov 28, 2010
Sagamite:

Absolutely wrong.

Yes, an interviewer needs to control the interview but her demeanor was unnecessarily aggressive and rude in tone.

She only needed that level of aggression IF (1) her questions are being avoided/not answered or (2) she is dealing with a notorious criminal leader/personality.

I did not spot either of the 2 before she chose her stance, she just moronically delivered her questions in that manner because she stupidly thought that is the style that it should be. This is common amongst most headline-seeking, foolish western journalists nowadays.

Are you telling me you would accept if she interviewed Mandela or even Gani that way?

first of all dont EVER compare this ijaw thief to Mandela or Gani because they are NOT IN THE SAME CATEGORY OKAY.

When did the nigerian people elect Jonathan as their president?

this ijaw crook should first of all explain to the bayelsa state people what he and his wife did with N101 million and $35 m which they stole from the bayelsa state treasury.

This Jonathan of a man is not even fit to be a permanent secretary in bayelsa state  talk less of a president of a nation  so he should swallow whatever insult you think he has been given because he thoroughly deserves it.

1 Like

Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by redsun(m): 8:58pm On Nov 28, 2010
One would have expected concerned nigerians to be happy with courageous and honest people like her that are able to confront our rogue leaders with their ills.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 9:04pm On Nov 28, 2010
redsun:

One would have expected concerned nigerians to be happy with courageous and honest people like her that are able to confront our rogue leaders with their ills.

i have discovered (belatedly) that our people are a bunch of pathetic sycophants, here we have a man whose wife was indicted on money laundering charges, who has done absolutely nothing for anyone since he has been in the corridors of power and yet what you have are sycophants rushing to defend him and for what

Was it wrong for Isha to ask him what he stands for? because lets face it - what exactly DOES HE STAND FOR APART FROM THE USUAL LOOTING AND CORRUPTION.

All i will say is may the nigerian populace continue to enjoy many more years of suffering, poverty and misery at the hands of this man and his cronies, this is just the beginning - you think OBJ was bad - you just wait and see what GEJ has in store for you once he starts implementing part 2 of the washington consensus.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 9:06pm On Nov 28, 2010
cap28:

first of all dont EVER compare this ijaw thief to Mandela or Gani because they are NOT IN THE SAME CATEGORY OKAY.

When did the nigerian people elect Jonathan as their president?

this ijaw crook should first of all explain to the bayelsa state people what he and his wife did with N101 million and $35 m which they stole from the bayelsa state treasury.

This Jonathan of a man is not even fit to be a permanent secretary in bayelsa state  talk less of a president of a nation  so he should swallow whatever insult you think he has been given because he thoroughly deserves it.

Are you sure you don't want to say the interview was part of the white imperialist domination?

You know he gave interview to CNN but will not give to Nigerian journalists? grin

Anyway, my point stands that she was rude.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by MandingoII(m): 9:08pm On Nov 28, 2010
She KNEW his lying a.rse was NOT going to anwser the questions

He is NOT her president and she does NOT respect him.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 9:10pm On Nov 28, 2010
cap28:

All i will say is may the nigerian populace continue to enjoy many more years of suffering, poverty and misery at the hands of this man and his cronies, this is just the beginning - you think OBJ was bad - you just wait and see what GEJ has in store for you once he starts implementing part 2 of the washington consensus.

Oh, yeah!!! Now there it is.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

It is white conspiracy.  grin grin grin

They are after us. They want to take over. They want to bring back slavery. grin grin grin grin

The whites are at fault for everything. grin
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 9:15pm On Nov 28, 2010
Sagamite:

Oh, yeah!!! Now there it is. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

It is white conspiracy. grin grin grin

They are after us. They want to take over. They want to bring back slavery. grin grin grin grin

The whites are at fault for everything. grin

better believe it saggy
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 9:22pm On Nov 28, 2010
cap28:

better believe it saggy

Lay down the tin foil hat!
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 9:31pm On Nov 28, 2010
Sagamite:

Lay down the tin foil hat!

grin grin grin grin grin grin

saggy - you can't handle the truth, but its about to come back and bite you in the butt, dont say i didnt warn you!!!!

You think GEJ is your messiah - i give this your love affair with him 2 months!!!then e go clear you for eye!!!

its just a matter of time.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by bkbabe97y(m): 9:48pm On Nov 28, 2010
cap28:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

saggy - you can't handle the truth, but its about to come back and bite you in the butt, dont say i didnt warn you!!!!

You think GEJ is your messiah - i give this your love affair with him 2 months!!!then e go clear you for eye!!!

its just a matter of time.

^^^^You really are a mo*ron! Did Sagamite say GEJ aint corrupt? All he's saying is the interviewer was rude and condescending to someone she should have shown more respect to!
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 9:52pm On Nov 28, 2010

Ivynwa said:
You seem to be tripping for her little wonder you are all these protective of her. I agree that she is a beautiful lady too.
Why don't you open up to her     and while you are at it do get me her contacts so that I can remind her to maintain her level-headedness on
her way reaching for the sky. She seems to have forgotten that elders must be respected, that one must allow others to finish their statements in a conversation and not cut them off rudely as if they are s-t-u-pid and that in whatever situation that one mustn't tackle an elder from such offensive sides that she did. I mean those questions can be phrased better with an unbiased mind and without sounding abrasive, confrontational and disrespectful.
Is it not our goodly-two-shoes Jonathan that could not find it in him enough to put her in her place like OBJ did in his own interview.

Ivynwa its not so much about me tripping for her as you said but that i just cant see how she disrespected GEJ.

She was doing her job, perhaps she is appalled by what she has seen in nigeria, she actually commented about the fact that nigeria is a rich country and yet the level of poverty is so extreme, she probably could not reconcile how there could be so much poverty coexisting with so much wealth, as a CNN journalist she probably has had access to some of the wealthiest people in nigeria and is simply staggered at the blatant and callous disregard that those with such huge wealth can have for their own people.

I can not defend or support a man  who has done nothing to distinguish himself since his brief tenure in office, can you tell me one tangible thing that this man has done for the nigerian people?  Is anyone talking about the millions he and his wife stole from the bayelsa state treasury, why should i protest if i see such a man being rigorously quizzed by a foreign journalist.  Isha is asking questions that no nigerian journalist dare ask.   This is not the time to get sentimental and bring up issues about disrespect - Jonathan and his cronies do not deserve any respect because they are theifs who are on a mission to impoverish and destroy the nigerian people, lets put sentimentality and emotions to one side and face up to the reality of the situation.  If we want to move forward as a nation we have to learn to stand up for the truth, sycophancy will only condemn us to a life of enslavement.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Ivynwa(f): 11:13pm On Nov 28, 2010
It amazes me endlessly when some Nairalanders I revere and respect are quick to match on others in a bid to be taken more serious while expressing their opinions. Sycophants , now I wonder where that sprang from. Can't we express our opinions here without calling names and bickering. I thought it's amateur NLs that call names but have just realized that some people have their smooth yet suave ways too. I don't do politicking and arguments in this forum and I know that that is the turn the thread is about to take.
All that is being said is that this sweetlooking young lady was disrespectful while throwing the questions. Nobody disagrees with the questions and the topic is not that  "Jo and wify are such big thieves and all of you saying Isha was disrespectful are unreasonable, sentimental and sycophants".
I am not even rooting for Jo, I can't see past this zoning thing yet to be able to see clearly into the politics going on in Nigeria. My stand is all about a good leader for Nigeria irrespective of his tribe. If they have agreed on zoning let them all give the zones their dues and timing and if they have awoken and decided on real "unity beyond the zones" and transparent democracy let them allow the masses to choose a good leader which is what the other worlds are doing.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by isalegan2: 11:58pm On Nov 28, 2010
cap28:

Ive never had any respect for CNN as its just another propaganda machine designed to desseminate the usual half truths, omissions and distortions, however Isha Sesay did ask GEJ important questions that need to be answered. . .  

. . . i think Ms Sesay was fine - she's also very hot  grin grin grin

And that's the crux of it for you, isn't it? Really.   cheesy

Anyway, I confess, I didn't watch the video.  I just wanted to rant against CNN.  Felt much better afterward.   embarassed smiley

Edited to add: 
Crud!  I just watched it.  I'm only 1/3 of the way through.  Very condescending aggressive in-your-face body language.  Interrupting him?  WTH!
Oh, well. . . .
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 10:14am On Nov 29, 2010
Ivynwa:

It amazes me endlessly when some Nairalanders I revere and respect are quick to match on others in a bid to be taken more serious while expressing their opinions. Sycophants , now I wonder where that sprang from. Can't we express our opinions here without calling names and bickering. I thought it's amateur NLs that call names but have just realized that some people have their smooth yet suave ways too. I don't do politicking and arguments in this forum and I know that that is the turn the thread is about to take.
All that is being said is that this sweetlooking young lady was disrespectful while throwing the questions. Nobody disagrees with the questions and the topic is not that  "Jo and wify are such big thieves and all of you saying Isha was disrespectful are unreasonable, sentimental and sycophants".
I am not even rooting for Jo, I can't see past this zoning thing yet to be able to see clearly into the politics going on in Nigeria. My stand is all about a good leader for Nigeria irrespective of his tribe. If they have agreed on zoning let them all give the zones their dues and timing and if they have awoken and decided on real "unity beyond the zones" and transparent democracy let them allow the masses to choose a good leader which is what the other worlds are doing.

Ivynwa ah beg no vex oh, it looks like ive upset you - ndo oh - sorry, i was just emphasising my point and did not mean to come across as abusive - if i did i apologise, shall we agree to disagree on this one?

All i was trying to say was that we should not let sentimentality cloud our judgement when dealing with our leaders, Jonathan is a public office holder who should be held to account for his actions however  his track record leaves much to be desired, i think that it was with this in mind that Ms Sesay interviewed him with such rigour.

no vex sis - can we still be friends?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Ivynwa(f): 10:44am On Nov 29, 2010
cap28:

Ivynwa ah beg no vex oh, it looks like ive upset you - ndo oh - sorry, i was just emphasising my point and did not mean to come across as abusive - if i did i apologise, shall we agree to disagree on this one?
All i was trying to say was that we should not let sentimentality cloud our judgement when dealing with our leaders, Jonathan is a public office holder who should be held to account for his actions however  his track record leaves much to be desired, i think that it was with this in mind that Ms Sesay interviewed him with such rigour.
no vex sis - can we still be friends?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Alright Baby, me and Saga did disagree some here before we became Paddies. One love!
Not to worry I am going to help you get Aunty Isha's contact and may even talk to her for you. wink grin cool
Now I must run before you guys drowns me in a sea of politicking, I know you like your politics.
Me, I don't like much of it.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 10:45am On Nov 29, 2010
isale_gan2:

And that's the crux of it for you, isn't it? Really.   cheesy

Anyway, I confess, I didn't watch the video.  I just wanted to rant against CNN.  Felt much better afterward.   embarassed smiley

Edited to add: 
Crud!  I just watched it.  I'm only 1/3 of the way through.  Very condescending aggressive in-your-face body language.  Interrupting him?  WTH!
Oh, well. . . . 

Hey Isale, no that wasnt the crux of it for me at all  smiley smiley smiley - it was just an observation, i did comment on the entire interview and to my mind i didnt really see anything disrespectful about it, she was rigorous but not disrespectful, let me show you a clip of a british news anchor interviewing condoleeza rice in which i think the anchor was definitely being disrespectful (and i can't even stand condoleeza rice):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI6Z7W14PGs
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 10:49am On Nov 29, 2010
Ivynwa:

Alright Baby, me and Saga did disagree some here before we became Paddies. One love!
Not to worry I am going to help you get Aunty Isha's contact and may even talk to her for you. wink grin cool

thats cool, but why the jab at the end now?

anyway glad we're now back on speaking terms - its all good grin grin grin grin grin
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by DisGuy: 10:59am On Nov 29, 2010
Its really embarrassing when the citizens of a country start pitying their president- it's only an interview

you notice how no-one said anything about the Obasanjo interview and the others on Hardtalk- no one see that as rude or condescending, why? because he held his own!!!

this maga is being bullied by a woman and that's rude tongue
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 29, 2010
where is gej's propagandist in chief? cheesy cheesy cheesy

imagine if he had been there - enough temper tantrum and rolling on the floor cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 12:29pm On Nov 29, 2010
perhaps isha's many critics would have preferred if she had adopted this style of interviewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUXN-cTSkLw
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Jbenue: 2:15pm On Nov 29, 2010
There was absolutely nothing wrong with that interview. This should serve as a lesson to the weak journalist we have in Nigeria. Onething I detest about Nigeria is that over used mantre "respect your elders". Too often people shy away from challenging politician(elders) out of misplace respect, so what if he is the president? I laughed when Aisha ask him about his policies, guess what? he had none!
My motto is that you can be as big as you want and as old as you want, however if you are resonating stupidity I will call you stupid and that was exactly what Aisha did.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 4:55pm On Nov 29, 2010
Jbenue:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with that interview. This should serve as a lesson to the weak journalist we have in Nigeria. Onething I detest about Nigeria is that over used mantre "respect your elders". Too often people shy away from challenging politician(elders) out of misplace respect, so what if he is the president? I laughed when Aisha ask him about his policies, guess what? he had none!
My motto is that you can be as big as you want and as old as you want, however if you are resonating stupidity I will call you silly and that was exactly what Aisha did.

I am not saying respect your elders or be weak in an interview. God and NL knows that if I was ever put in a position to interview any politician, especially a Nigeria on, their balls will be on fire as I will dice them intellectually.

What I am against is a senseless and directionless rudeness all in the name of trying to imitate the pervading culture of modern-day western journalism i.e. (1) asking questions in a manner to obtain stewpid sensational morning headlines (even if it has to be taken out of context) instead of asking cuting-edge questions that will show (i) a weakness in policy or (ii) provide the  audience with information of what government is doing, simply lazy journalism and (2) just being headlessly aggressive all in the name of showing you are a tough journalist like Ishay and the dimwit that interviewed OBJ on Hardtalk.

I am not for Naija style weak and brown envelope journalism, but I am not for senseless and headline-seeking journalism of the West. I am for tough and insightful journalism. I watched a Hardtalk interview a few weeks ago hosted by the same mugu that interviewed OBJ, on this occasion, he was on fire. He asked relevant, well-thought through and tough questions, I had to commend BBC for it.

What do you mean Jonathan had no policies? You could not source his policies from the long list of things he said? Reduce coruption? Increase security? Provide infrastructure? Increase job opportunities? Policy: Grow the nation's economy by reducing inhibitors? Those are "none"? So what is making you laugh and chat rubbish?
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by udezue(m): 5:10pm On Nov 29, 2010
She did well.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Kobojunkie: 5:14pm On Nov 29, 2010
Dis Guy:

this maga is being bullied by a woman and that's rude tongue

oshe oo! ROFLMAO!!
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Jbenue: 5:15pm On Nov 29, 2010
Sagamite:

What do you mean Jonathan had no policies? You could not source his policies from the long list of things he said? Reduce corupption? Increase security? Provide infrastructure? Increase job opportunities? Policy: Grow the nation's economy by reducing inhibitors? Those are "none"? So what is making you laugh and chat rubbish?

Reduce corruption? How?
Lets take that one.  That is just a heading, now he has to articulate how he is going to achieve that. Rather he starts with his fingers pointing in all directing like a traffic warden. If it was obama or Cameron being interviewed on their manifesto they would be exact and thorough about what they are likely to do, even if it is a pack of lies.
Face it Nigerian politicians and political parties 4 that matter have no policies or meaningful manifesto, when ask what they are going to do when they come to power, they all say the same holy trinity saying " I am going to focus on security, fight corruption and reinforce infrastructure"  

Yes we will all do that but how? What exactly is your road map sir? Don't just roll of headings but substantiate them.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 5:24pm On Nov 29, 2010
Jbenue:

Reduce corruption? How?
Lets take that one.  That is just a heading, now he has to articulate how he is going to achieve that. Rather he starts with his fingers pointing in all directing like a traffic warden. If it was obama or Cameron being interviewed on their manifesto they would be exact and thorough about what they are likely to do, even if it is a pack of lies.
Face it Nigerian politicians and political parties 4 that matter have no policies or meaningful manifesto, when ask what they are going to do when they come to power, they all say the same holy trinity saying " I am going to focus on security, fight corruption and reinforce infrastructure"  

Yes we will all do that but how? What exactly is your road map sir? Don't just roll of headings but substantiate them.

Even though you have some points about Naija politician's not having a detailed roadmap, I don't think the question was asking for it and I don't think it would be appropraite under such interview time constraints for him to give such answer of a detailed roadmap for one strand of policy when they question did not ask for it.

She asked a high-level question and he gave a middle-level answer (no headlining), it would have been wrong and there would have been no time for a low-level detailed answer for all policies under such interview.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Jbenue: 5:44pm On Nov 29, 2010
Sagamite:

Even though you have some points about Naija politician's not having a detailed roadmap, I don't think the question was asking for it and I don't think it would be appropraite under such interview time constraints for him to give such answer of a detailed roadmap for one strand of policy when they question did not ask for it.

She asked a high-level question and he gave a middle-level answer (no headlining), it would have been wrong and there would have been no time for a low-level detailed answer for all policies under such interview.

What was the point of the interview then? Look I'm am personally ambivalent about GEJ, in my opinion as leaders go he is not too clever, his mastery over words isn't great. I have watched so many of his interviews in many of them he comes across as aloof, if you are not bright you have to surround yourself with smart people, he clearly hasn't done that. If he had smart people on his side they would have advised him that he would lose more than gain if he did the interview, taking your line that he had insufficient time to respond properly that is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

SSS Displays Documents Recovered From APC Office In Lagos(with images) / Goodluck Jonathan In Washington DC (Photos) / Filling Stations Slash Petrol Pump Price As Naira Appreciates To 7-Month High

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.