Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,020 members, 7,956,779 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:43 PM

CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President (47783 Views)

Poll: Was the interview disrespectful or just serious?

disrespectful: 34% (17 votes)
just serious: 66% (33 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Is The Best Nigerian President Since Independence / #Where is CNN Isha Sesay As Ebola Ravages Her Home Country, Sierra Leone? / Who Is The Worst Nigerian President To Date? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 6:15pm On Nov 29, 2010
Jbenue:

What was the point of the interview then? Look I'm am personally ambivalent about GEJ, in my opinion as leaders go he is not too clever, his mastery over words isn't great. I have watched so many of his interviews in many of them he comes across as aloof, if you are not bright you have to surround yourself with smart people, he clearly hasn't done that. If he had smart people on his side they would have advised him that he would lose more than gain if he did the interview, taking  your line that he had insufficient time to respond properly that is.

I am confident I am not for GEJ, but I am for objectivity. Hence I will not castigate him unnecessarily when their is no basis for castigation.

I will support Ribadu for presidency because God amazed me when Ribadu came into publicity and I realised God actually made 2 of me.

I would not say GEJ comes across as aloof, more like docile. Right from when he had no balls to challenge the mugus that were running Nigeria while Yaradua was close to death and obviously not lucid.

GEJ in NOT a leader, he is an individual that should be given straight-line responsibilities, a manager. In regards to his aura, he reminds me of the former Conservative leader and now member of Cameron's cabinet, Iain "Do-not-underestimate-the-determination-of-a-quiet-man" Duncan-Smith. DULL and UNINSPIRING. He got kicked to the side quickly.

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Ip7ajMoZU&feature=related[/flash]
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Princek12(m): 6:42pm On Nov 29, 2010
Quote from Sagamite

Example was when she was looking for headline grabbing when she asked him if he would take responsibility for violence breaking out. That is just bad journalism, not really about attitude.

At 5.32, when she was asking "you represent what", it was blatantly condescending. Yes, he might not have HEADLINED what he stood for succinctly but he did provide alot of information about what he wants to achieve when she first asked, then she had the audacity to talk to him like if she was his older sister, questioning her wayward teenager junior brother. If he did not answer her question, I would understand, but he did IN DETAIL, he just did not initially HEADLINE it. Worse still, all the while he was talking so civilly to her and like if they are on the same level.

Also check out her bridgings when moving to the next question, she always pauses in a condescending manner. For example when she said:

2.22 - "I want to look forward now". Her facial expression after that statement was condescending.

6.06 - "Lets move on and talk about corruption". Her facial expression after that statement was condescending. Then within his first sentence to answer the question, she almost cut him off without listening to what he was about to say (6.31)

7.19 - "I want to talk about the Niger Delta". Her facial expression after that statement was condescending. And then look at her face when looking at him answering the question (7.36). Pompously looking like "You are going to tell me thrash".

Mr. Sagamite.

I re-watched the interview and paid close attention to the time at which you pointed. I also observed that the common thread in your reasons as to why you thought she was disrespectful were her facial expressions. The standard by which disrespectfulness should be measured is an objective standard, for reasonable minds may differ as to what is considered subjectively disrespectful. Because of that, I disagree with your reasoning and conclusion.

I see nothing disrespectful about her facial expressions, which is vintage Isha Sesay facial expressions. The phrases you quoted were all transitional phrases and some form of leading questions, both of which are techniques used by many sophisticated interviewers in the West, and it is aimed at controlling the interview and making sure the interviewee stays on course, especially considering the limited time within which she is allocated to cover an extensive topic, and the extremely evasive nature of politicians in general.

I suppose that it is unfortunate that many Nigerians like you misconstrue the meaning of respect, an attitude our leaders have taken advantage of, and which has been used to hijack our country with limited confrontation. For example, many leaders like OBJ think anyone who asks them a challenging question is disrespectful to them. OBJ is also known to be confrontational with journalists who ask about his corrupt regime. As a practical matter, using your standards, anytime an interviewer controls the interview by using transitional phrases and leading questions to keep the interviewee on course, you are more likely to adjudge such interviewer as being disrespectful, without any objective indicia of disrespectfulness.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Musiwa13: 6:48pm On Nov 29, 2010
Sagamite, First of all nuhu rubadu is not the solution to solving nigeria problem. He has no idea what to do. Nuhu Ribadu is not fit to be president of Nigeria. I would not vote, NEver. He is a pretender.

Does Nuhu ribadu know how to solve electricity problem ?

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all of PHCN staff, they are thieves.

Ribadu how do you how to solve the health care problem in Nigeria

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all doctors, they are thieves.

Nuhu how do you solve the issue of the Economy

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all market women, they are thieves.

Nuhu how do you solve the issue of the immigration

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all non resident , they are thieves.

Nuhu how do you solve the issue of the communication

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all cellphone company managers, they are thieves.

Nuhu how do you solve the issue of the stock market

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all stock broker, they are thieves.

Nuhu how do you solve the issue of the sport

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all footballer, they are thieves. they ask for too much money.

Now let come to the Issue of Sesay.

Look here is one video Obama made the same mistake and see , how they treat Obama too.

I watch the video of mo ibrahim. She was treating IBB if he was her boss. She should not do that. This is one think we need to teach the nigeria youth confident to speak.

Look if I talk to a 10 years over here. And I jump in while he or she was talking, the 10 years old would tell me, you are been rude.  I have not finished what I was saying. A 10 year old. And you are going to wait until that 10 year old finish was he is saying. This give him confident to speak to older people.

i had that initial problem, when i came here. We lack confident because of the way the nigeria system work.

here are video of obama making the same mistake and watch how they others reacted to obama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_753sLQQ8q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnOFQQ9jReo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTN3X0B9o1s
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 6:59pm On Nov 29, 2010
Princek12:

Mr. Sagamite.

I re-watched the interview and paid close attention to the time at which you pointed. I also observed that the common thread in your reasons as to why you thought she was disrespectful were her facial expressions. The standard by which being disrespectful should be measured is an objective standard, for reasonable minds may differ as to what is considered subjectively disrespectful. Because of that, I disagree with your reasoning and conclusion.

I see nothing disrespectful about her facial expressions, which is vintage Isha Sesay facial expressions. The phrases you quoted were all transitional phrases and some form of leading questions, both of which are techniques used by many sophisticated interviewers in the West, and it is aimed at controlling the interview and making sure the interviewee stays on course, especially considering the limited time within which she is allocated to cover an extensive topic, and the extremely evasive nature of politicians in general.

I suppose that it is unfortunate that many Nigerians like you misconstrue the meaning of respect, an attitude our leaders have taken advantage of, and which has been used to hijack our country with limited confrontation. For example, many leaders like OBJ think anyone who asks him a challenging question is disrespectful to him. He is known to be confrontational to journalists who ask about corrupt regime. As a practical matter, using your standards, anytime an interviewer controls the interview by using transitional phrases and leading questions to keep the interviewee on course, you are more likely to adjudge such interviewer as being disrespectful, without any objective indicia of disrespectfulness.

My friend, stop giving rubbish conjecture on me. You have not seen me expressed clearly on this thread that leaders should be asked tough questions?

Her facial expression and her TONE and DELIVERY of the questions where disrespectful because they are condescending. There is NOTHING sophisticated about it. It is a STEWPID culture western media have picked up. Everyone wants to be Jeremy Paxman and botch the style of the icon.

I asked you a question, would you not find it rude if she interviewed Mandela or even Gani that way?
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by tpia5: 7:04pm On Nov 29, 2010
7.19 - "I want to talk about the Niger Delta". Her facial expression after that statement was condescending. And then look at her face when looking at him answering the question (7.36). Pompously looking like "You are going to tell me thrash".

hmm, well, i dont expect much from cnn anyway, and a reporter cant deviate from the standard cnn script.

however, i should think the niger delta would be a sore point for them seeing how koinange [?], and by extension cnn, was seriously embarassed there some years ago.

in any case, jonathan could have cut the interview short if it wasnt going well.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 7:05pm On Nov 29, 2010
This is the pioneer of cutting-edge interviewing all of them are trying to imitate and do it badly. They don't know some are just born with special abilities, idiosyncracies you cannot imitate if you are not born with it.

Jeremy Paxman is CLASS.

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCo7qbzEX3c&feature=related[/flash]
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by tpia5: 7:13pm On Nov 29, 2010
@ topic

there's something about the body language here that i find puzzling.

cnn could have used an older woman perhaps. Someone like donna brazile.

but i guess that isnt the point.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 7:29pm On Nov 29, 2010
Musiwa,:

Sagamite, First of all nuhu rubadu is not the solution to solving nigeria problem. He has no idea what to do. Nuhu Ribadu is not fit to be president of Nigeria. I would not vote, NEver. He is a pretender.

Does Nuhu ribadu know how to solve electricity problem ?

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all of PHCN staff, they are thieves.

Ribadu how do you how to solve the health care problem in Nigeria

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all doctors, they are thieves.

Nuhu how do you solve the issue of the Economy

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all market women, they are thieves.

Nuhu how do you solve the issue of the immigration

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all non resident , they are thieves.

Nuhu how do you solve the issue of the communication

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all cellphone company managers, they are thieves.

Nuhu how do you solve the issue of the stock market

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all stock broker, they are thieves.

Nuhu how do you solve the issue of the sport

Ribadu Answer :  I will arrest all footballer, they are thieves. they ask for too much money.

Let me behave like if it is Xmas and ask you nicely: Where did you get this from?

Musiwa,:

here are video of obama making the same mistake and watch how they others reacted to obama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_753sLQQ8q8

No 1) Where is the rudeness in this video. The guy was just asking tough questions leading to engaging debate in my opinion. He is CHALLENGING Obama's policy, not trying to look for moronic, meaningless headlines.

No 2) By the way, you want to prove that rudeness is common and you decide to put up FOX NEWS interviewing a democratic candidate?

Musiwa,:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnOFQQ9jReo

Now, explain to me the similarities you saw with this interview and the CNN interview that made you put it up for comparison.

Also do me a favour while you are answering this question by also including you age so I know how intense I should go.

Musiwa,:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTN3X0B9o1s

After your above points and "evidence", you SERIOUSLY in your mind expect me to watch a 43min video of a Michelle Q&A session with kids to sieve out points YOU want to make?
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Seun(m): 7:43pm On Nov 29, 2010
@Sagamite: Calm down. There was nothing wrong with the interview. Jonathan fumbled, period.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 7:53pm On Nov 29, 2010
Seun:

@Sagamite: Calm down. There was nothing wrong with the interview. Jonathan fumbled, period.

Jonathan was docile and uninspirational as usual, but the girl was pompous and condescending.

What I am not yet sure about is if that is her natural attitude or she was just trying to portray a tough image and botched it.

The Fox News interview with Obama is what I call a good interview.

Challenge the policy, ask tough questions, show you are intelligent and have done your research, instead of sitting your bony arse looking to trip/humiliate a politician to get a headline (leave that to nonentity dunces like Martin Bashir, not a serious network like CNN).
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Jbenue: 8:08pm On Nov 29, 2010
Sagamite:

I am confident I am not for GEJ, but I am for objectivity. Hence I will not castigate him unnecessarily when their is no basis for castigation.

I will support Ribadu for presidency because God amazed me when Ribadu came into publicity and I realised God actually made 2 of me.

I would not say GEJ comes across as aloof, more like docile. Right from when he had no balls to challenge the mugus that were running Nigeria while Yaradua was close to death and obviously not lucid.

GEJ in NOT a leader, he is an individual that should be given straight-line responsibilities, a manager. In regards to his aura, he reminds me of the former Conservative leader and now member of Cameron's cabinet, Iain "Do-not-underestimate-the-determination-of-a-quiet-man" Duncan-Smith. DULL and UNINSPIRING. He got kicked to the side quickly.

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Ip7ajMoZU&feature=related[/flash]

at least we agree on something mate, that Ribadu is the best option for Nigeria, I like him not just because he has shown courage and integrity through out his career but also because he is not part of this North South bull. he has always maintained his distance from the likes of the Ciroma group and Northern axis of power.
However I think you are still wrong on the GEJ & Isha issue, Politicians in the west always get murdered by journalists. Its only Africans who think politicians are sacred creatures that should not face the indignity of the press. Face it from the threads Ive read you seem to be in the minority. Isha did a cracking job. Now she needs to interview IBB!!!!!!
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 8:53pm On Nov 29, 2010
Jbenue:

However I think you are still wrong on the GEJ & Isha issue, Politicians in the west always get murdered by journalists. Its only Africans who think politicians are sacred creatures that should not face the indignity of the press. Face it from the threads Ive read you seem to be in the minority. Isha did a cracking job. Now she needs to interview IBB!!!!!!

Politicians should be challenged and drilled on their policies. That I stand a billion percent for.

Politicians being murdered, I disagree with and these is the moronic trend I observe in UK journalists that are Paxman-wannabes.

I have already forecasted, and take note as I expect it to be picked up and be a major discussion point in the near future, that the attitude of the western media might lead to inhibition of governance. Where politicians because of fear of attacks will not take the necessary decisive actions that is the most expedient and would rather take mundane actions they feel can easily be defended if it is questioned.

Instead of journalists to do a critical assessment of the best and most practical approaches and question politicians why they are not undertaking this or how they intend to implement it, so as to inform the people, sometimes they are comfortable going about trying to trip some good policies that the average mind can not understand its complexity and is easily led to be anti-government. For example look at the moronic rants we get from the average Nigerian about how rich and blessed Nigeria is with oil. OBJ had to put it in context and ask how can we be compared to UAE when we produce almost the same and they have one thirtieth of our population to use it one. Most average minds can not discern such and you see their moronic beer-parlour thinking when they debate it, reinforced by an unhelpful press. Yes, corruption has not helped, but a parallel journalistic discussion should be more about how Nigeria is not diversifying or having population control instead of stewpid statements like "oil-rich and wealthy blah blah balh" arrant rubbish like if Nigeria could have been Dubai with that only. Most people do not even know that Canada, Mexico, Norway and Brazil produce more oil than Nigeria. Their beer-parlour mind pride themselves on exporting it more than most countries like if it is an achievement. We export it because we do not have enough development to utilise it. UK production is almost the same as Nigeria but most would not know that as they use it at home, they don't scream they are "Oil-rich".

Let us not forget what journalist are there for. They are not there to MURDER politicians with silly hidden agendas to boost circulation/revenue, they are there to INFORM people by asking critical questions or finding out critical issues on the people's behalf. Lets get that clear and lets prioritise what we rejoice over.

I have observed the UK government are becoming less decisive and their policy only goes as far as the likes of The Sun would tolerate. I predict and expect this to be a pillar of debate in the intellectual press (ala Paxman, Channel 4 news) in the near future.

That said, any journalist that follows my "challenge and drill on their policies" approach on most Nigerian politician will murder them. My point is: Going out with the intention to murder and make governments look bad for the sake of it is lazy journalism.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Ivynwa(f): 9:11pm On Nov 29, 2010
Ivynwa:

Alright Baby, me and Saga did disagree some here before we became Paddies. One love!
Not to worry I am going to help you get Aunty Isha's contact and may even talk to her for you. wink grin cool
Now I must run before you guys drowns me in a sea of politicking, I know you like your politics.
Me, I don't like much of it.
cap28:

thats cool, but why the jab at the end now?
anyway glad we're now back on speaking terms - its all good grin grin grin grin grin
@ Cap28
It was no jab, I was actually giving you a compliment and only meant that it is where serious political discussion is going on in the forum that you are normally seen. I don't bring people down, I derive joy from making others happy.
Can't you see that you and Saga have atttracted all your kinds here within hours and I am hardly seen in such places, too-much politicking (political discussions) give me headache. Stay good dear.
Ivynwa runs and runs and runs very far from the thread
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 9:25pm On Nov 29, 2010
Quote from Sagamite

Example was when she was looking for headline grabbing when she asked him if he would take responsibility for violence breaking out. That is just bad journalism, not really about attitude.

At 5.32, when she was asking "you represent what", it was blatantly condescending. Yes, he might not have HEADLINED what he stood for succinctly but he did provide alot of information about what he wants to achieve when she first asked, then she had the audacity to talk to him like if she was his older sister, questioning her wayward teenager junior brother. If he did not answer her question, I would understand, but he did IN DETAIL, he just did not initially HEADLINE it. Worse still, all the while he was talking so civilly to her and like if they are on the same level.

Also check out her bridgings when moving to the next question, she always pauses in a condescending manner. For example when she said:

2.22 - "I want to look forward now". Her facial expression after that statement was condescending.

6.06 - "Lets move on and talk about corruption". Her facial expression after that statement was condescending. Then within his first sentence to answer the question, she almost cut him off without listening to what he was about to say (6.31)

Sagamite it appears as if the problem you have with Ms Sesay is her confident manner and demeanour , i take it you do not feel comfortable around confident, attractive and successful women, that is actually a problem that you will have to come to terms with,  if you dont like seeing attractive confident women interviewing nigerian politicans i suggest you tune off whenever any of them are on tv  because those are usually the type of women that are employed by the western corporate media.
Perhaps you could launch a campaign for the nigerian tv  presenter Mo Abudu to become the official interviewer of all nigerian politicians so that you dont feel threatened?

what you seem to be doing here is projecting your insecurities on to a woman who clearly knows her stuff, i think women like this make you feel very inadequate.  Your insecurity becomes even more obvious when you refer to Jeremy Paxman as pure class  - didnt you see what he did to Condoleeza Rice on newsnight? there was nothing classy about that interview, you then go on to describe Bill Oreilly's disrespectful grilling of Obama as a good interview, when it was clear to everyone who watched it that O'reilly was treating Obama  as if he was hired help, the same things that you have been whining about with regard to Isha is exactly what douche bag O'reilly was guilty of with regard to Obama - and yet your description of that interview merely referred to it as  " one in which tough questions were asked".  

Im sure if i post a link of Rush Limbaugh insulting Obama or Glen Beck calling Obama a racist you'll probably describe Limbaugh and Beck as the creme de la creme in the field of journalism.

Oh boy ive listened to you whine on and on and i think ive had just about enough, like i said, you know the drill if you dont like the calibre of interviewer, change the channel.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Jbenue: 9:32pm On Nov 29, 2010
Okay firstly my term Murder, just means they put tough questions to them, yes.
Secondly when these moronic Nigerians talk about how blessed we are in respect to oil and lament at our state of poverty they have a valid point.
In this instant you are the one being moronic, we all know oil revenue will not finance every little facet of Nigeria, what we are saying is if that revenue was invested into key sectors by the government, in order to nurture a conducive environment for the private sector to thrive then we wouldn't be so retched. So if you think of it on average Nigeria has been prodicing over 2 million barrels of crude per day for the past twenty years.

[b]2,000,000x $55x 365x 20= $803,000,000,000 divide by 2= $400 billion[/b]Are you telling me that $400 billion is not enough to start implementing programs no?
even if you shared that money with a population of 150 million people 70% of the population would have more than they could earn in their lifetime.
Concluding I feel you and OBJ point that Nigeria shouldn't be compared with other oil producing states on the basis of our population is both futile and irrelevant
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 9:38pm On Nov 29, 2010
cap28:

Sagamite it appears as if the problem you have with Ms Sesay is her confident manner and demeanour , i take it you do not feel comfortable around confident, attractive and successful women, that is actually a problem that you will have to come to terms with,  if you dont like seeing attractive confident women interviewing nigerian politicans i suggest you tune off whenever any of them are on tv  because those are usually the type of women that are employed by the western corporate media.
Perhaps you could launch a campaign for the nigerian tv  presenter Mo Abudu to become the official interviewer of all nigerian politicians so that you dont feel threatened?

what you seem to be doing here is projecting your insecurities on to a woman who clearly knows her stuff, i think women like this make you feel very inadequate.  Your insecurity becomes even more obvious when you refer to Jeremy Paxman as pure class  - didnt you see what he did to Condoleeza Rice on newsnight? there was nothing classy about that interview, you then go on to describe Bill Oreilly's disrespectful grilling of Obama as a good interview, when it was clear to everyone who watched it that O'reilly was treating Obama  as if he was hired help, the same things that you have been whining about with regard to Isha is exactly what douche bag O'reilly was guilty of with regard to Obama - and yet your description of that interview merely referred to it as  " one in which tough questions were asked".  

Im sure if i post a link of Rush Limbaugh insulting Obama or Glen Beck calling Obama a racist you'll probably describe Limbaugh and Beck as the creme de la creme in the field of journalism.

Oh boy ive listened to you whine on and on and i think ive had just about enough, like i said, you know the drill if you dont like the calibre of interviewer, change the channel.

You are reetarded!
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by jumobi1(m): 9:41pm On Nov 29, 2010
she was rude! obviously a gej hater
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Kobojunkie: 9:44pm On Nov 29, 2010
^^^ why am I not surprised?? ROFLMAO!! grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Makbo: 9:51pm On Nov 29, 2010
Is it respectful talking to a lady in a living room  with a donkey hat on head?
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 9:58pm On Nov 29, 2010
Jbenue:

Okay firstly my term Murder, just means they put tough questions to them, yes.

Good, you are learning.

Jbenue:

Secondly when these moronic Nigerians talk about how blessed we are in respect to oil and lament at our state of poverty they have a valid point.
In this instant you are the one being moronic, we all know oil revenue will not finance every little facet of Nigeria, what we are saying is if that revenue was invested into key sectors by the government, in order to nurture a conducive environment for the private sector to thrive then we wouldn't be so retched. So if you think of it on average Nigeria has been prodicing over 2 million barrels of crude per day for the past twenty years.

You are dumb.

Where did you see me say they do not have a valid point?

What I am saying is they mislead with the impression they give lay minds like you of how "rich" we are by just sitting on oil.

Is it not diversification I was questioning why journalist are not challenging?

Jbenue:

[b]2,000,000x $55x 365x 20= $803,000,000,000 divide by 2= $400 billion[/b]Are you telling me that $400 billion is not enough to start implementing programs no?
even if you shared that money with a population of 150 million people 70% of the population would have more than they could earn in their lifetime.
Concluding I feel you and OBJ point that Nigeria shouldn't be compared with other oil producing states on the basis of our population is both futile and irrelevant

This is one of the beer parlour analysis I allude to.

No calculation for cost of generating the 1.8m barrels a day. No calculation for cost of processes and checks. No calculation of down days. Assuming oil price has average $55 over the last 20 years. Silly and simpleton thinking about equal distribution.

Yes, corruption has cost wastage. That said, working on your flawed calculations, as I am being generous as Xmas approaches, that is $20bn per year, at best (off my head), we would not be much better off than Egypt.

Saying it is futile and irrelevant to state it is not sane to compare a country with 150m people that produces 1.8m barrels/day with a country with 1.4m people that produces 2.3m barrels/day is the edifice of moronic-ity. That is as dumb as saying that there is no difference between a man that earns N23m a year who has a wife and 2 kids and a man that earns N18m a year that has 40 wives, 15 concurbines and 340 kids. DUMB!

Nigeria's population is a huge problem and a time-bomb that is as critical and pertinent as corruption.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 10:00pm On Nov 29, 2010
jumobi1:

she was rude! obviously a gej hater

I don't think she is a GEJ hater, she was just a poor journalist.

Maybe it is a bad day in the office? That is a misery as it seems that is her first one-to-one.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by member28: 10:08pm On Nov 29, 2010
methinks she was extremely rude. i remember watching it and cringing like what is wrong with this gal?
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by playmode(m): 10:14pm On Nov 29, 2010
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahaha, ok one second, hahahahahahahahahahahahaa

To be honest this is the first time i have ever heard Jonathan speak. Oh God save Nigeria ,this is the clueless slowpoke who wants to rule our nation for the next 4 years. We are practically doomed. Wow this is the jonathan some dummies have being supporting here on Nairaland. Ok i will say this without any remorse. If you are supporting Jonathan to rule you are a sh!thead and you need to see a shrink! For God sake my housemaid can teach this guy how to speak in an interview. He lacked self confidence and he was stumbling over his own words. He had no plans ,no foresight no vision ,absolutely nothing. He was just reciting lines that he had crammed to his head before his interview. Unfortunately the lines did not match the question. What a retard! He showed no spunk, this dude is CLUELESS. PhD my a*s

Thank you Isha for giving him an a*s whooping for ME, he deserved what he got. He has no business being the president. He can barely speak fluent English but he is a Phd holder in zoology (oluwole PhD). Chai Naija don suffer. This guy should be on a boat somewhere in the naija delta fishing in the swamps. He looks more like a fisherman than a president. What a shame on our country ,i wonder what secret document wikileaks have on him.

It just goes to show that Jonathan and his aso rock managers are pretty stupid. If he was a serious leader ,his press secretary should have reviewed the questions CNN will ask him before hand and he should coached Jonathan better but how can he since all they do is steal steal steal steal. More grease to your elbow isha ,you go girl! Nigerian president got disgraced by a mere journalist,what a shame.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by DisGuy: 11:32pm On Nov 29, 2010
I don't think she was rude

I Just figured it out--- She isn't exactly a political presenter at the same time Jonathan is piss poor cant even watch the interview into 2 minutes sucks hearing the man and especially his wife- her voice is enough to send Atiku to a mental hospital!!
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Kobojunkie: 11:37pm On Nov 29, 2010
cap28:

grin
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by isalegan2: 5:55am On Nov 30, 2010
cap28:

Hey Isale, no that wasnt the crux of it for me at all  smiley smiley smiley - it was just an observation, i did comment on the entire interview and to my mind i didnt really see anything disrespectful about it, she was rigorous but not disrespectful, let me show you a clip of a british news anchor interviewing condoleeza rice in which i think the anchor was definitely being disrespectful (and i can't even stand condoleeza rice):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI6Z7W14PGs

1) I was kidding about the first (hotness/crux) part.  Honestly, we are so not simpatico anymore.   tongue

2) She would not have talked to any non-African head of state like that.   

3) Here's another clip that was linked to the one in the opening post.  Amanpour is as tough as any journalist and she didn't need to be obnoxious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8-MNnC15g&NR=1
Your gal is just rough around the edges.  Sorry.   grin

4) I was gonna write up a bunch more stuff but am fed up of this chick and this topic already. 

5-10) I like this poem by Rumi, a 13th century author, so am gonna end with that.  No reason.   I just like it is all.

TENDING TWO SHOPS

Don’t run around this world
looking for a hole to hide in.

There are wild beasts in every cave!
If you live with mice,
the cat claws will find you.

The only real rest comes
when you’re alone with God.

Live in the nowhere that you came from,
even though you have an address here.

That’s why you see things in two ways.
Sometimes you look at a person and see a cynical snake.

Someone else sees a joyful lover,
and you’re both right!

Everyone is half and half,
like the black and white ox.

Joseph looked ugly to his brothers,
and most handsome to his father.

You have eyes that see from that nowhere,
and eyes that judge distances,
how high and how low.

You own two shops,
and you run back and forth.

Try to close the one that’s a fearful trap,
getting always smaller. Checkmate,
this way. Checkmate that.

Keep open the shop
where you’re not selling fishhooks anymore.
You are the free-swimming fish.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 12:34pm On Nov 30, 2010
isale_gan2:

1) I was kidding about the first (hotness/crux) part.  Honestly, we are so not simpatico anymore.   tongue

thats cool -  by the way what does "simpatico" mean

2) She would not have talked to any non-African head of state like that. 

i beg to differ, besides how many non african heads of state do you know who have been involved in money laundering scandals and have remained in office?  I believe that her background knowledge about Jonathan and other nigerian public officials may have  coloured her perception of him and influenced her manner

3) Here's another clip that was linked to the one in the opening post.  Amanpour is as tough as any journalist and she didn't need to be obnoxious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8-MNnC15g&NR=1
Your gal is just rough around the edges.  Sorry.   grin

Not at all her speech and manner were sufficiently respectful, the fact that she did not give him an easy ride does not mean she is rough around the edges.

4) I was gonna write up a bunch more stuff but am fed up of this chick and this topic already. 

anything you say sis - shall we move on swiftly to another topic then  smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

5-10) I like this poem by Rumi, a 13th century author, so am gonna end with that.  No reason.   I just like it is all.[

TENDING TWO SHOPS

Don’t run around this world
looking for a hole to hide in.

There are wild beasts in every cave!
If you live with mice,
the cat claws will find you.

The only real rest comes
when you’re alone with God.

Live in the nowhere that you came from,
even though you have an address here.

That’s why you see things in two ways.
Sometimes you look at a person and see a cynical snake.

Someone else sees a joyful lover,
and you’re both right!

Everyone is half and half,
like the black and white ox.

Joseph looked ugly to his brothers,
and most handsome to his father.

You have eyes that see from that nowhere,
and eyes that judge distances,
how high and how low.

You own two shops,
and you run back and forth.

Try to close the one that’s a fearful trap,
getting always smaller. Checkmate,
this way. Checkmate that.

Keep open the shop
where you’re not selling fishhooks anymore.
You are the free-swimming fish.

lovely poem, and very insightful, but there must be a reason why it appeals to you.

ill come back to you on the other post shortly.

take care
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 4:51pm On Nov 30, 2010
Sagamite:

Saying it is futile and irrelevant to state it is not sane to compare a country with 150m people that produces 1.8m barrels/day with a country with 1.4m people that produces 2.3m barrels/day is the edifice of moronic-ity. That is as dumb as saying a man that there is no difference between a man that earns N23m a year who has a wife and 2 kids and a man that earns N18m a year that has 40 wives, 15 concurbines and 340 kids. DUMB!

Nigeria's population is a huge problem and a time-bomb that is as critical and pertinent as corruption.

Obasanjo's excuse that nigeria's huge population limits the filtering down effect of oil revenue to the nigerian populace is a disgraceful lie.

First of all revenue generated from oil is transferred into the federation account - monies in this account are then allocated to the various states in accordance with the following criteria:  equal shares per state, population, social development, land mass, and revenue generation. Therefore each state SHOULD be receiving its share of oil revenue in direct proportion to the number of people that reside in that state . 

Obasanjo fails to mention that during the military era (pre 1999) various deductions were  made from the gross proceeds of oil revenues BEFORE THE monies even started filtering down to the nigerian populace.

For example an initial deduction known as a first charge would be made from nigeria's gross oil revenues - this money would then be placed under direct  federal govt control - where was this money going and what did the govt do with it?

Okay after these "deductions" the fed govt would be left with the balance which would then be placed in the federation account and then guess what FURTHER deductions  would again be made from this figure and additional monies would again be diverted into a "special fund account" - what was this  money for and where did it go?

After all of the above deductions the net proceeds would then be  shared between federal, govt, state and local govts respectively with the fed govt keeping approximately 70% of the net proceeds for itself.

I understand that the supreme court ruled in 2002  that deductions such as first charges and special charges which were made from the gross proceeds are now illegal, the situation now is that the net proceeds after an initial deduction which now has to be given to oil producing states will now have to go into the federation account and be shared according to the following ratios: federal govt - 47.3% state govt - 32.7  and local govt 20%.

As if this whole situation wasnt convoluted enough Obasanjo decided in 2002 that any revenue generated from off shore oil blocs lying adjacent to oil producing states would be regarded as revenue accruing to the FGN only thereby BLOCKING further allocation of oil revenue to the oil producing regions.

Now my question to you is this - if Obasanjo claims that high population is the reason that oil revenue is not tricklling down to the entire populace why would he insist that oil wells located adjacent to the oil producing regions remain the property of the FGN and not the property of the adjoining states?

The bottom line is that systemic corruption makes a complete nonsense of whatever method is used to distribute oil revenue in nigeria, it doesnt really matter how the monies are distributed or what criteria is used, the major problem is that these so called public officials who have been placed in positions of authority have systematically failed the people they are supposed to be serving time and time again, your excuses therefore hold absolutely no water.
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by Sagamite(m): 8:07pm On Nov 30, 2010
cap28:

Obasanjo's excuse that nigeria's huge population limits the filtering down effect of oil revenue to the nigerian populace is a disgraceful lie.

First of all revenue generated from oil is transferred into the federation account - monies in this account are then allocated to the various states in accordance with the following criteria:  equal shares per state, population, social development, land mass, and revenue generation. Therefore each state SHOULD be receiving its share of oil revenue in direct proportion to the number of people that reside in that state . 

Obasanjo fails to mention that during the military era (pre 1999) various deductions were  made from the gross proceeds of oil revenues BEFORE THE monies even started filtering down to the nigerian populace.

For example an initial deduction known as a first charge would be made from nigeria's gross oil revenues - this money would then be placed under direct  federal govt control - where was this money going and what did the govt do with it?

Okay after these "deductions" the fed govt would be left with the balance which would then be placed in the federation account and then guess what FURTHER deductions  would again be made from this figure and additional monies would again be diverted into a "special fund account" - what was this  money for and where did it go?

After all of the above deductions the net proceeds would then be  shared between federal, govt, state and local govts respectively with the fed govt keeping approximately 70% of the net proceeds for itself.

I understand that the supreme court ruled in 2002  that deductions such as first charges and special charges which were made from the gross proceeds are now illegal, the situation now is that the net proceeds after an initial deduction which now has to be given to oil producing states will now have to go into the federation account and be shared according to the following ratios: federal govt - 47.3% state govt - 32.7  and local govt 20%.

As if this whole situation wasnt convoluted enough Obasanjo decided in 2002 that any revenue generated from off shore oil blocs lying adjacent to oil producing states would be regarded as revenue accruing to the FGN only thereby BLOCKING further allocation of oil revenue to the oil producing regions.

Now my question to you is this - if Obasanjo claims that high population is the reason that oil revenue is not tricklling down to the entire populace why would he insist that oil wells located adjacent to the oil producing regions remain the property of the FGN and not the property of the adjoining states?

The bottom line is that systemic corruption makes a complete nonsense of whatever method is used to distribute oil revenue in nigeria, it doesnt really matter how the monies are distributed or what criteria is used, the major problem is that these so called public officials who have been placed in positions of authority have systematically failed the people they are supposed to be serving time and time again, your excuses therefore hold absolutely no water.

When you were conjuring this, you honestly, deep down in your heart, thought for a fraction of a second that I would read any post of yours of this length?

You must really be very dumb!!!

Mate, I don't read most of your posts. I don't have time to waste. I don't waste my time on gabbage. Like yours, you will not see me read any of the long gabbage Becomerich pours out. You and Becomerich are in the same mental state to me.

The longer your post is, the closer to zero chance I would read it.

This is what I normally do with your post:

1) Scan it.

or

2) Read the first 3 sentences to see if that day was a good mental day for you.

I did not read this junk. I saw myself quoted and looked at the length and said "Hell No" and just quoted and gave you this reply. If you want me to read your post, if we are not already in along debate, it is advisable you make sure it is not more than 2 paragraphs, then you have a 50-50 chance I will scan it.

The last one you put down before this addressed to me, I did (2), and felt you were mentally unbalanced and just replied "You are reetarded", I swear to God. The beginning was junk, why bother read the rest?
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by isalegan2: 9:45pm On Nov 30, 2010
Cap28 is a lawyer and has to debate, I mean argue, I mean fight until the last dog dies!  It's his sustenance.  Something about the adversarial system.  grin
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by isalegan2: 10:03pm On Nov 30, 2010
cap28:

thats cool -  by the way what does "simpatico" mean
hehehehehehe  cool

anything you say sis - shall we move on swiftly to another topic then  smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
hahahahahahaha.  Well played, counselor.

lovely poem, and very insightful, but there must be a reason why it appeals to you.

You like my rhymes?  I'll give you more.  What Rumi?  I have the words.

ill come back to you on the other post shortly.

I have second thoughts about the other posts.  Might be the source of the wrong kind of attention.  But, whatever.  It's all good.  

take care 

You take it easy now, ya hear?  smiley
Re: CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President by cap28: 10:45pm On Nov 30, 2010
Sagamite:

When you were conjuring this, you honestly, deep down in your heart, thought for a fraction of a second that I would read any post of yours of this length?

You must really be very dumb!!!

Mate, I don't read most of your posts. I don't have time to waste. I don't waste my time on gabbage. Like yours, you will not see me read any of the long gabbage Becomerich pours out. You and Becomerich are in the same mental state to me.

The longer your post is, the closer to zero chance I would read it.

This is what I normally do with your post:

1) Scan it.

or

2) Read the first 3 sentences to see if that day was a good mental day for you.

I did not read this junk. I saw myself quoted and looked at the length and said "Hell No" and just quoted and gave you this reply. If you want me to read your post, if we are not already in along debate, it is advisable you make sure it is not more than 2 paragraphs, then you have a 50-50 chance I will scan it.

The last one you put down before this addressed to me, I did (2), and felt you were mentally unbalanced and just replied "You are reetarded", I swear to God. The beginning was junk, why bother read the rest?

saggy i see you are back in your demented chimp mode again, that brief moment of sanity did not last long at all did it? now what ?  did you take my advice a few posts back when i recommended anger management classes, doesnt sound like it - try breathing exercises

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pictures Of Peter Obi Rescuing Secondary School Girls Last Year Resurface Onlin / Ranking Of Officers In Nigeria Cutsoms / Outcome Of Buhari's Meeting With APC Stakeholders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 182
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.