Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,078 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? (9180 Views)

My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. / What's The Difference Between Dating In Your 20s And 30s? / 2 Colleagues Fight Over Same Man They Are Dating In Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by pocohantas(f): 2:28pm On Dec 28, 2019
whitelotus:

An agnostic is an atheist. Also, atheists do not jump into religious threads anyhow.

Agnostic people do not deny the existence of God, but they cannot relate with Him on a personal level. I do not agree that they are the same, albeit pretty similar.

Oh, they jump into every religious thread. Where else do they flex their atheism?

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Dec 28, 2019
Iloveu2:

It's very funny we call ourselves atheist and still yet do not regard ourselves as being into a belief system even when we spend most of our life trying very hard religiously to convince others that do not buy into our. belief with the pronouncation of DUMB, 'FOOLISH, STUPID as our most fond words in calling them, inside of disbelievers in our atheism.

I don't believe atheism is a belief system. I mean, yes there might be some atheistic religions out there, but atheism is not just the lack of belief in God or gods. It is also a lack of belief in concepts like karma, the lotus flower, the dharma wheel etc (known e.g in an atheistic religion like Buddhism).

And to be fair, I don't think I've ever deliberately tried to convince others. To be honest, I just don't care if someone is a Christian, Buddhist, Muslim or even worships the spaghetti monster, which is why I rarely participate in those kind of debates.

As long as you're not hurting anyone, trying to preach to me or coming up with myths and claiming they are facts, we're good.

Unfortunately, some won't just let you be. I mean, look at this one
Brunicekid:
Accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Personal Saviour.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by urahara(m): 2:49pm On Dec 28, 2019
[quote author=pocohantas post=85290249]

Agnostic people do not deny the existence of God, but they cannot relate with Him on a personal level. I do not agree that they are the same, albeit pretty similar.

Oh, they jump into every religious thread. Where else do they flex their atheism?[/quote

Agnostic people neither deny nor affirm the existence of God.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 28, 2019
fieryy:

I don't believe atheism is a belief system. I mean, yes there might be some atheistic religions out there, but atheism is not just the lack of belief in God or gods. It is also a lack of belief in concepts like karma, the lotus flower, the dharma wheel etc (known e.g in an atheistic religion like Buddhism).

And to be fair, I don't think I've ever deliberately tried to convince others. To be honest, I just don't care if someone is a Christian, Buddhist, Muslim or even worships the spaghetti monster, which is why I rarely participate in those kind of debates.

As long as you're not hurting anyone, trying to preach to me or coming up with myths and claiming they are facts, we're good.

Unfortunately, some won't jusf let you be. I mean, look at this one

In other words, what makes us Atheists is our "lack of belief in God, gods......(the highlight above). Which of course defines our own belief system called atheism.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by pocohantas(f): 3:06pm On Dec 28, 2019
urahara:
Agnostic people neither deny not àffirm the existence of God.

I will keep that in mind grin

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by hakeem4(m): 3:24pm On Dec 28, 2019
i have seen quite a few female non believers.

I remember when i was talking to my crush and she was telling me that she cannot date someone who does not believe in jesus. Then i asked her why? she said because they are not morally upright. There is this stigma many people have against ATHEIST, like we are one virus or something like that grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by hakeem4(m): 3:25pm On Dec 28, 2019
pocohantas:

Oh, they jump into every religious thread. Where else do they flex their atheism?

agnosticism or gnosticism are just a position of knowledge
while Theism, Deism and atheism are position of beliefs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by pocohantas(f): 3:28pm On Dec 28, 2019
hakeem4:

Na one ship carry all of una. Different decks.

Una well done.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Apination(m): 3:34pm On Dec 28, 2019
fieryy:

Unfortunately, some won't just let you be. I mean, look at this one

A lack of belief is in itself a belief. To deny a particular thing is the very creation of another. If atheism isn't a belief then what is it?

5 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 28, 2019
Apination:

A lack of belief is in itself a belief. To deny a particular thing is the very creation of another. If atheism isn't a belief then what is it?

Me: I don't believe atheism is a belief system

You : If atheism isn't a belief then what is it?

I think my post was very clear, therefore this is going to be my last post on this topic. There's nothing systematic about atheism. There are no set of principles and concepts or whatsoever we follow.

The following has nothing to do with my initial post because I had belief systems in mind, but now thinking about your argument of "To deny a particular thing is the very creation of another.".

The only reason I have to deny a belief is because it was created in the first place. Everyone is born an atheist and without those beliefs, atheism would have been a normal thing, not a lack of sth created or a lack of belief in sth. for example my family believes in.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by ashewoboy(m): 4:32pm On Dec 28, 2019
fieryy:

Why the heck won't I marry an atheist when I myself am one?

are you currently dating an atheist? I'm not telling about pretenders that are atheist. I'm talking about ladies that are "expressive" about it. does everybody around you know you are an atheist? that is the type of atheist I'm talking about.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Apination(m): 4:33pm On Dec 28, 2019
fieryy:

Me: I don't believe atheism is a belief system

You : If atheism isn't a belief then what is it?

I think my post was very clear, therefore this is going to be my last post on this topic. There's nothing systematic about atheism. There are no set of principles and concepts or whatsoever we follow.

The following has nothing to do with my initial post because I had belief systems in mind, but now thinking about your argument of "To deny a particular thing is the very creation of another.".

The only reason I have to deny a belief is because it was created in the first place. Everyone is born an atheist and without those beliefs, atheism would have been a normal thing, not a lack of sth created or a lack of belief in sth. my family worships etc.
Saying everyone is born an atheist is false. Everyone is born "tabula rasa", no belief, no knowledge.
Your answer is quite different from the question I asked, I never used the term belief system but just belief. If you understand what a belief is, then it would be easier to understand how atheism has generated into a system. Belief is the foundation to knowledge, and that which can be known has to be true but at the end of the day, belief doesn't amount to knowledge. But to hold a belief is to take a position as against not holding one at all which is in itself another position and that's why I said the denial of a thing is the creation of another even if it might not have been held before. The idea of God's existence necessarily creates room for the denial of that same existence thus an existing belief system necessarily creates an alternate belief system questioning and taking a different position from that very one. Atheists hold the following beliefs:
*God does not exist
*He cannot be seen
*There is no force acting on humans, its just us and us alone etc
If I walk up to 1990 atheists, they will repeat same thing over and again, if such belief isn't systematic, then what's it?

5 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by whitelotus: 4:34pm On Dec 28, 2019
hakeem4:

Well said.

Therefore, there are agnostic atheists.

Cc pocohantas

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 28, 2019
ashewoboy:

are you currently dating an atheist? I'm not telling about pretenders that are atheist. I'm talking about ladies that are "expressive" about it. does everybody around you know you are an atheist?that is the type of atheist I'm talking about.

This is getting ridiculous. Me being an atheist is not sth. I hide or even have to hide. Why should I? Everybody around me knows I'm an atheist, since they are atheists as well. My family knows I'm an atheist, my brothers are atheists and our parents continue to pray for us.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by whitelotus: 4:39pm On Dec 28, 2019
Apination:

Saying everyone is born an atheist is false. Everyone is born "tabula rasa", no belief, no knowledge.
Your answer is quite different from the question I asked, I never used the term belief system but just belief. If you understand what a belief is, then it would be easier to understand how atheism has generated into a system. Belief is the foundation to knowledge, and that which can be known has to be true but at the end of the day, belief doesn't amount to knowledge. But to hold a belief is to take a position as against not holding one at all which is in itself another position and that's why I said the denial of a thing is the creation of another even if it might not have been held before. The idea of God's existence necessarily creates room for the denial of that same existence thus an existing belief system necessarily creates an alternate belief system questioning and taking a different position from that very one.

Everyone is born a pure agnostic.

The denial of a belief does not equal a belief on the opposite.

For instance, if you say you have a car, I wouldn't believe until you show me your car papers as evidence.

I am an atheist because there is no evidence for god. I remain skeptic in the face of no evidence

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Apination(m): 4:40pm On Dec 28, 2019
whitelotus:

For instance, if you say you have a car, I wouldn't believe until you show me your car papers as evidence.

I am an atheist because there is no evidence for god. I remain skeptic in the face of no evidence
Is atheism a belief system or not?

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by ashewoboy(m): 4:41pm On Dec 28, 2019
fieryy:

This is getting ridiculous. Me being an atheist is not sth. I hide or even have to hide. Why should I? Everybody around me knows I'm an atheist, since they are atheists as well. My family knows I'm an atheist, my brothers are atheists and our parents continue to pray for us.

let's go private.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Dec 28, 2019
Apination:

Your answer is quite different from the question I asked, I never used the term belief system but just belief. If you understand what a belief is, then it would be easier to understand how atheism has generated into a system. Belief is the foundation to knowledge, and that which can be known has to be true but at the end of the day, belief doesn't amount to knowledge. But to hold a belief is to take a position as against not holding one at all which is in itself another position and that's why I said the denial of a thing is the creation of another even if it might not have been held before. The idea of God's existence necessarily creates room for the denial of that same existence thus an existing belief system necessarily creates an alternate belief system questioning and taking a different position from that very one.

My answer was different from the question because my intial post had been different. You don't have to explain what a belief means to me.

My initial post started with 'I don't believe atheism is a belief system '. I don't know how someone could have missed that part because you literally jumped on it and started talking about belief.

Correct me, if I'm wrong but tabula rasa means we are born without any kind of knowledge whatsoever, right? That all knowledge comes in the course of life, right
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by whitelotus: 4:45pm On Dec 28, 2019
Apination:

Is atheism a belief system or not?

It depends.

Most atheists are agnostic atheists. They are just sceptical.

For them, atheism is a lack of belief.

Then there are strong atheists. These are atheists who say that there is definitely no god. This can be problematic and a faith based position as it cannot be proven that a god doesn't exist.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 28, 2019
ashewoboy:

let's go private.

You and who? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 28, 2019
fieryy:

My answer was different from the question because my intial post had been different. You don't have to explain what a belief means to me.

My initial post started with 'I don't believe atheism is a belief system '. I don't know how someone could have missed that part because you literally jumped on it and started talking about belief.

Correct me, if I'm wrong but tabula rasa means we are born without any kind of knowledge whatsoever, right? That all knowledge comes in the course of life, right

Even when nobody teaches a baby how to suckle her mother's breast, or cry to draw attention....?! Knowledge is unlimited. We are born with certain knowledge for survival,
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Apination(m): 4:54pm On Dec 28, 2019
whitelotus:

You cannot be a skeptic and an atheist at the same time. And as I earlier said man is born "Tabula rasa". Let me put your car analogy into a syllogism so that we can weigh it.
*To have a car is to have car papers
*My father does not have car papers
*Therefore, my father does not have a car
Does that make sense? That aside, you say there's no evidence for God, which means you have made yourself an authority on what we can use as a standard for identifying God's existence, so how can we get to know about God's existence, where lies the burden of proof?
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2019
Iloveu2:

Even when nobody teaches a baby how to suckle her mother's breast, or cry to draw attention....?! Knowledge is unlimited.

Ehn? Lool, why are you quoting me? Seriously though, I'm confused. grin I'm literally asking the other dude what tabula rasa means since HE brought it up.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Dec 28, 2019
Apination:

You cannot be a skeptic and an atheist at the same time. And as I earlier said man is born "Tabula rasa". Let me put your car analogy into a syllogism so that we can weigh it.
Does that make sense? That aside, you say there's no evidence for God, which means you have made yourself an authority on what we can use as a standard for identifying God's existence, so how can we get to know about God's existence, where lies the burden of proof?

Hmmmm.....
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Apination(m): 4:59pm On Dec 28, 2019
Iloveu2:

Even when nobody teaches a baby how to suckle her mother's breast, or cry to draw attention....?! Knowledge is unlimited. We are born with certain knowledge for survival,
To suckle is a biological function and it doesn't boil down to knowledge. Mind you it's the mother who brings out the breast and places the baby's lips on it and With time, the baby might be able to pick up on this ritual based on impression. Nobody is born with any prior knowledge.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Apination(m): 5:03pm On Dec 28, 2019
whitelotus:

It depends.

Most atheists are agnostic atheists. They are just sceptical.

For them, atheism is a lack of belief.

Then there are strong atheists. These are atheists who say that there is definitely no god. This can be problematic and a faith based position as it cannot be proven that a god doesn't exist.
Its a bipolar question. Yes or No?
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by biosystech: 5:08pm On Dec 28, 2019
Iloveu2:

Thank you for this. I've always wondered if humans are truly a tabula rasa from birth?

I'm borrowing your words.

Apination:

To suckle is a biological function and it doesn't boil down to knowledge. Mind you it's the mother who brings out the breast and places the baby's lips on it and With time, the baby might be able to pick up on this ritual based on impression. Nobody is born with any prior knowledge.
How about crying to draw attention to a certain problem at that time?

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 28, 2019
Apination:

To suckle is a biological function and it doesn't boil down to knowledge. Mind you it's the mother who brings out the breast and places the baby's lips on it [b]and With time, the baby might be able to pick up on this ritual based on impression. [/b]Nobody is born with any prior knowledge.

Nope, the suckling is an innate Knowledge to act that way when the breast is placed in the baby's mouth. The mother is in no way teaching the baby how to suckle by impressing her breast into the babies mouth. He is already born with the knowledge to do so. Unlike being taught with time how to use a chop stick to eat spaghetti.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by whitelotus: 5:31pm On Dec 28, 2019
Apination:

Its a bipolar question. Yes or No?

No.

By the modern definition, atheism is not a belief system: it is a lack of belief
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by whitelotus: 5:34pm On Dec 28, 2019
Apination:

The bold is but a form of deductive reasoning and logic.

If you dont have car papers, then you dont have a car. Simple and short.

The premises meet the conclusion.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 28, 2019
whitelotus:

No.

By the modern definition, atheism is not a belief system: it is a lack of belief

Yes it is, because the whole thought process is systemic in this lack of belief, which eventually creates a belief system called atheim.
Re: Any Hope For Atheist Dating In Nigeria? by whitelotus: 5:38pm On Dec 28, 2019
Iloveu2:

Yes it is, because the whole thought process is systemic in this lack of belief, which eventually creates a belief system called atheim.

Okay, then answer this then-

WHAT DO ATHEISTS BELIEVE IN?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Hairstyle I Barb That Made Me Get 3 Nairaland Girl In 2 Weeks (picture ) / When Last Did You Bleep A Girl With Standing Breast / What's The Unexpected Sex You Have Had?and How Did It Happen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.