Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,455 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back (31972 Views)

Twitter Asks Some Sacked Workers To Please Come Back / Police Officer Who Bagged PhD As A Corporal, Begs For Promotion (Pics, VIDEO) / I Can’t Do It Again – Trainee Soldier Begs To Go Home During Military Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by otunbadan(m): 9:32pm On Jan 04, 2020
Never employ her back, she will cause damage on a larger scale than this ... my boss has been warning me about giving such people a second chance but it’s too a while and several very bitter experience for me to sink that lesson into my head.

If it’s a business ... faithful in little is faithful in much .... lousy in little is lousy in much too ... no second chances sir

Abujaexpress:
My fellow employers in the house, I crave your indulgences to be guided on this issue, thus:
I employed a lady as my secretary. She had worked for about 3 months before she failed to resume work on a particular day and all my phone calls to her were not answered by her. After a few days, a friend that brought and guaranteed her employment with my firm called me that the girl said I shouted at her and flinged a document towards her, as a result of which she left.

The following day, I called the girl, this time around she picked, albeit reluctantly and I told her that since she has refused to show up at work, she should return the office key which was with her. A few days later, I did not know when she sneaked into the complex and gave the key to my neighbour, which he delivered to me.

I subsequently called the girl and asked her if she does not want to work again, she simply said that she is attending to her health in her village. I did not hear from her since then untill the 2nd of the following month, December when she called me to request for transfer of her salary to her. I initially asked her to come to office to resign and handover officially for me to work out her salary, but I later allowed human feelings to take hold me and I calculated/substracted the numbers of days she did not work for that month and transferred the balance to her.

Immediately she called to thank me and she again called on new day to wish me a happy new year.

Then suddenly on the 3/01/2020, she sent me a message that she would pls want to talk with me. I agreed to listen to her. She called me to say if I have not employed another secretary, that she would want to resume and that if I will allow her to work with me again. I simply told her that I would look into it and get back to her. Am yet to give her field back.

The issue now is, considering the nature of her leaving work AWOL, and now calling to beg to come back, should I accept her back or I should her engage a different person (already I have some applications for the job on my table).

N. B. Kindly note that her brief stay in my office have exposed the girl as a dishonest fellow and her penchant for excuses from office citing sickness and flimsy excuses is very her.

I need advice please.

1 Like

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Mile18(m): 9:32pm On Jan 04, 2020
SLAP44:
My guy my guy grin

Tell us the real story because if it's what you wrote above, you won't need our opinion to sack her. But it seems you want something else personal from her and she is not playing ball easily. How can you want to retain a dishonest secretary when you have other applications to replace her?

You're not dealing with primary 4 kids here grin grin grin

men thinking deep

1 Like 1 Share

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Bobbyfreshh(m): 9:33pm On Jan 04, 2020
Abujaexpress:
Work on your temper, blabla. Who holy pass? Your comments on this thread portray you as a very tempered personality. I smell it

You are right...in a way thou

1 Like 1 Share

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Cecero(m): 9:34pm On Jan 04, 2020
Oga if you're a 'disciplined employer of labour' like you said, then you don't need to ask for anybody's opinion here unless there's something else you're not telling us.
You have already passed judgement here and it is not positive on her.
Btw, going by the rules, she does not deserve any bit of the last salary you paid her: she absconded from duty, no notice, no resignation. It must have affected your business and she is the one that deserves to pay you.
Please try to be more professional with your staff because you don't sound like you are.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by yanabasee(m): 9:34pm On Jan 04, 2020
czarina:
I don't have time for that plenty thing you wrote there but where did I make it a "gender war"?

And don't tell me to "shatap" please. I don't answer to you.

I never tagged it a gender war or something..... The op tried to explain to you that he lose it when she was arguing with him, without careful examination of the documents, considering times at stake.

And he also explained to you how lazy she is. I expected you to first of all fault the Secretary for a sluggish working pattern before telling the op how to handle such situations. Not telling him to work on his temper.

Lazy people support themselves. I'm sure you are not lazy.
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jan 04, 2020
Not only does she seem to be a chronic malingerer, she also cannot seem to follow simple instructions and is overly sensitive. Why would you want her back? Call her in to resign formally, pay her any outstanding dues and bid her good luck with her new life.

Take emotional resilience and competence into account when reviewing those applications on your desk. A secretary need not be attractive, and do not employ anyone out of pity. A business should be run unemotionally as you very well know.

1 Like

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Omoslim26: 9:35pm On Jan 04, 2020
Abujaexpress:
I am a nice and approachable employer. Infact, I don't boss any of my staff. We relate very well. The last secretary worked for over 2 years before she left for further studies

You are a nice nd approachable boss your last sec worked for over 2yrs bla bla bla

who make we ask

nairaland don dey tire person na soso yeye questions we jst dey see dis days wey year jst dey start oo

1 Like

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by D1zion: 9:35pm On Jan 04, 2020
Abujaexpress:
Thank you for this professional and tactful advice
I see things repeating itself again if you take her back & it'll be when you'll need her,when you'll most depends on her over the work.get a new person pls.my own take.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Okwyjesus(m): 9:35pm On Jan 04, 2020
Abujaexpress:
My fellow employers in the house, I crave your indulgences to be guided on this issue, thus:
I employed a lady as my secretary. She had worked for about 3 months before she failed to resume work on a particular day and all my phone calls to her were not answered by her. After a few days, a friend that brought and guaranteed her employment with my firm called me that the girl said I shouted at her and flinged a document towards her, as a result of which she left.

The following day, I called the girl, this time around she picked, albeit reluctantly and I told her that since she has refused to show up at work, she should return the office key which was with her. A few days later, I did not know when she sneaked into the complex and gave the key to my neighbour, which he delivered to me.

I subsequently called the girl and asked her if she does not want to work again, she simply said that she is attending to her health in her village. I did not hear from her since then untill the 2nd of the following month, December when she called me to request for transfer of her salary to her. I initially asked her to come to office to resign and handover officially for me to work out her salary, but I later allowed human feelings to take hold me and I calculated/substracted the numbers of days she did not work for that month and transferred the balance to her.

Immediately she called to thank me and she again called on new day to wish me a happy new year.

Then suddenly on the 3/01/2020, she sent me a message that she would pls want to talk with me. I agreed to listen to her. She called me to say if I have not employed another secretary, that she would want to resume and that if I will allow her to work with me again. I simply told her that I would look into it and get back to her. Am yet to give her field back.

The issue now is, considering the nature of her leaving work AWOL, and now calling to beg to come back, should I accept her back or I should her engage a different person (already I have some applications for the job on my table).

N. B. Kindly note that her brief stay in my office have exposed the girl as a dishonest fellow and her penchant for excuses from office citing sickness and flimsy excuses is very her.

I need advice please.

If you re- engage her don't come here again for advice.

2 Likes

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Femeto: 9:36pm On Jan 04, 2020
She has failed woefully during her six months probation. If you like employ her again you are on your own. If everybody leaves the organization due to an excuse or the other would you make income?
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Fourwinds: 9:39pm On Jan 04, 2020
Funkybabee:

Yes, she's my friend so?
heheheheheeee ....birthday after birthday

1 Like

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Benwallt(m): 9:41pm On Jan 04, 2020
Guy let the girl be. Your interest in her is more than just being your secretary. Here nor be kindergarten. Are there no other applicants
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Benwallt(m): 9:44pm On Jan 04, 2020
czarina:
You flung a document at her? Why is no one talking about that part? I pity your next secretary.

Work on your temper, she's your secretary not your "maid".

Typical Nigerian "boss" and his nonsense temper.
Guy, the girl turned him down
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by frozen70(f): 9:47pm On Jan 04, 2020
Abujaexpress:

I need advice please.

Once a staff is not ready to tolerate any correction or shouting from a boss, such person is not humble

She left voluntary and disrespected you by not explaining to you why she left

Let her come and put up a resignation letter and reply

From there, when next she comes, you let her know that you have gotten someone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by nicodenzzy(m): 9:49pm On Jan 04, 2020
grin grin grin
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Ebenezar2020(m): 9:50pm On Jan 04, 2020
czarina:
You flung a document at her? Why is no one talking about that part? I pity your next secretary.

Work on your temper, she's your secretary not your "maid".

Typical Nigerian "boss" and his nonsense temper.
don't be so stupid.
this is 2019 stop being stupid and foolish at the same time.
the OP didn't give in to the girl's accusation, she was using that as an excuse to stay away from work.
mumu try and massage your brain

1 Like

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Digmygold: 9:51pm On Jan 04, 2020
Don't take her back.
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by FRANKOSKI(m): 9:52pm On Jan 04, 2020
An average naija girls will tell people that her boss wanted to have her and thats why she resigned.I'VE HAD THEM PLENTY IN MY FILLING STATION.
LATENESS
SHORTAGE OF MONEY
TAKING EXCUSE FOR CHURCH ENGAGEMENTS AND GOING TO SPEND TIME WITH BOYFRIEND.
CHEATING CUSTOMERS WITH MITRE .
ABEG OOOO !!!
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Fourwinds: 9:53pm On Jan 04, 2020
LadySarah:
There is more to this story.
With several other application letters on ur desk, vices, you keep going on and on with her.

Pls tell us more.

meaning kpomo is involved
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by FRANKOSKI(m): 9:56pm On Jan 04, 2020
THAT GIRL WENT TO STAY WITH HER DECEMBER BOYFRIEND THAT MIGHT HAVE PROMISED TO MARRY HER , BUT LATER CHANGED MIND .
you wanna try naija babes ?
Call her and let her resign officially with witnesses .
IF U HAVE SKELETONS IN YOUR CUPBOARD , DON'T !!!
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Taywon: 9:56pm On Jan 04, 2020
She thiught the grass was greener on the other side...
Tell her diz phrase "dont come back!!!"
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by slam7000(m): 9:56pm On Jan 04, 2020
Abujaexpress:
Am a disciplined employer of labor, oga.

Did you shout at her? Did you fling papers at her?
If you did, that was wrong and you need to work on yourself. You might fling the papers at the wrong employee. If you did that, you are far from being a disciplined person let alone a disciplined employer.

Only bullies do that. Your secretary might be scared of you, however holding onto your key was a bit strange. I’d change the locks and if I was her, I wouldn’t come back. If I was you, I wouldn’t take her back....for your own safety and her sanity.

3 Likes

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by yusufmurry: 9:58pm On Jan 04, 2020
Abujaexpress:
Am a disciplined employer of labor, oga.

But you heard her said, you flung documents on her?

True or false?

1 Like

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by Lamanii22(f): 9:59pm On Jan 04, 2020
Op.. Please come and employ me..
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by jendhorlee(m): 10:03pm On Jan 04, 2020
czarina:
Did you or did you not fling the document at her? It didn't have to "touch" her.

The disrespect behind the act was what made her quit. There are better ways to pass your message, not throwing temper tantrums at your staff.

Again, work on your temper! Then, consider setting boundaries. But work on your temper first. Not everyone has the patience for nonsense.

My advice;

You can let her come back on the condition that you work on your temper, let her know your expectations, then set boundaries.

You can choose not to re-employ her but work on your temper.

I've worked with bad-tempered bosses in the past, staff no dey last. And it's bad for business.
God bless you.
God bless you. God bless you more.
I can never also work under a hot tempered boss, never ! i don't care abt the amount he/she is paying me, I'll leave the Job. i can't be working in a place where I'll become restless anytime my boss shows up.

you flung documents at her ? imagine. i don't care abt his excuses, i know that poor girl must have been in a difficult situation and needs money badly, that's why she's thinking of coming back, or someone somewhere has advised her to endure. smh

1 Like

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by GuestLog: 10:04pm On Jan 04, 2020
czarina:
Did you or did you not fling the document at her? It didn't have to "touch" her.

The disrespect behind the act was what made her quit. There are better ways to pass your message, not throwing temper tantrums at your staff.

Again, work on your temper! Then, consider setting boundaries. But work on your temper first. Not everyone has the patience for nonsense.

My advice;

You can let her come back on the condition that you work on your temper, let her know your expectations, then set boundaries.

You can choose not to re-employ her but work on your temper.

I've worked with bad-tempered bosses in the past, staff no dey last. And it's bad for business.
My friend, sharrap there!

Have you managed people before?

Man told you his reasons and you are still giving him advice, do you even know what office pressure is all about?
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by czarina(f): 10:06pm On Jan 04, 2020
Ebenezar2020:
don't be so stupid.
this is 2019 stop being stupid and foolish at the same time.
the OP didn't give in to the girl's accusation, she was using that as an excuse to stay away from work.
mumu try and massage your brain
if you had the tiniest semblance of sense in you, you'd know there's no justification for throwing stuff at an employee.

But what was I expecting from someone who clearly lacked the capacity to string words together without insults at his pathetic existence?

Go to bed hun, go to bed. kiss kiss
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by ernecy(m): 10:08pm On Jan 04, 2020
SLAP44:
My guy my guy grin

Tell us the real story because if it's what you wrote above, you won't need our opinion to sack her. But it seems you want something else personal from her and she is not playing ball easily. How can you want to retain a dishonest secretary when you have other applications to replace her?

You're not dealing with primary 4 kids here grin grin grin
abeg leave op with his problem, he thinks everyone here is 2 year old. I can't even imagine that a grown up wrote this nonsense, seeking for our opinion
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by czarina(f): 10:08pm On Jan 04, 2020
GuestLog:
My friend, sharrap there!

Have you managed people before?

Man told you his reasons and you are still giving him advice, do you even know what office pressure is all about?
You know nothing about me, so advise yourself to "shatap" . Not me.

Have a pleasant rest
Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by ipreach: 10:19pm On Jan 04, 2020
"I shouted at her and flinged a document towards her" I think your hustile nature instigated fears in the young girl making her leave you.

1. You must know that she is an employee not a maid.

2. She has her right to be treated well at work.

3. You need to work on your temper, else your next secretary, will still leave you after some months.

4. She only acted based on how you treated her.

5. Recall her if you want her and feel she is delivery well in the job.

6. Allow her to go if you don't want her services anymore.

7. Goodluck

1 Like

Re: She Absconded From Work, Now She Begs To Come Back by samtol4(m): 10:28pm On Jan 04, 2020
Let the girl go and work elsewhere but oga work on your temperament

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The #nairalife Of A Finance Man In The Civil Service / The Number Of Persons That Lost Their Jobs In Nigeria:The Second Quarter Of 2015 / What Next After A 3rd Class From University?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.