Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,452 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:51 AM

My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup (58712 Views)

I Always See This Inside My Room Even Though It's Tiled, How Do I Stop It? / I’m Pregnant For My Sister's Brother-In-Law. I’m Scared To Tell My Sister / Lady Hails Father Who Lost His Hands But Still Works As A Builder (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by Nobody: 3:11pm On Feb 05, 2020
Iwantpeace:
To cut the long story short, prior to when we got married that I go visit my then fiancée, anytime I cook this guy is fond of dipping his hands into my pot of soup or food without asking me and this is what I am not comfortable with and I really don't like it.
His lack of manners towards you didn't start today but while you were dating your husband. You should've spoken up then.

Iwantpeace:
, when he comes back he expects me to greet him first.
It appears he has no respect for you. Your husband should do the needful asap and put him in check since you're unable to speak up for yourself.

4 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by eyinjuege: 3:12pm On Feb 05, 2020
Just cook enough food per meal, and leave no extras
Stop cooking excess.
Once you cook, dish your husband's own in a cooler and keep near your bedside. Dish your own and eat, and dish his own too. Shikena

It might be more stressful cooking more often, but it will save you the stress of shouting
Make stew/soup for a meal, and nothing more

4 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by Ginaz(f): 3:35pm On Feb 05, 2020
cococandy:
Well then let’s agree to disagree.

If someone lives with me, I want them to feel free enough to eat whenever they are hungry.

In her case, if it’s about finances she and her husband can ask him to contribute or only agree to host when they can afford to.

About feeling too much at home, lol. That’s the whole point. If someone lives with you, they should be able to feel very very at home. Otherwise they shouldn’t come.

That’s why opening your home to long term visitors is not a small decision. Weigh it well, decide and plan how you’re going to finance it, consider if you can stand living with said person for the amount of time they need or want to stay. And then when the decision is made, it’s made. Everyone should be able to live comfortably without walking on egg shells.

Nothing is the same sis. You may be very free and open cos that is you but with other people , you may need to use 6th sense without being told . grin

2 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by rain21(f): 3:42pm On Feb 05, 2020
Iwantpeace:

like I said before I spent the yuletide season in their family house and never will he do that. i m very positive about that . how comes he is doing this now??

Cos he thinks you have no probs since you never complained in the first place.
He feels he's very free with you hence the attitude

5 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by iliyande(m): 3:54pm On Feb 05, 2020
Not worth the stress and rants madam.

I don't support the young man for spoiling or not washing dishes when used.

My niece stays with us and he is very friendly with my wife and I love seeing them that way. He even cook what the family eats because he also is a good cook.

2 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by olabrinks(f): 4:12pm On Feb 05, 2020
What you’re complaining about is really not a big deal. You’ll realise that marriage comes with much bigger problems along the line, this one is so inconsequential.
‘ he dips his hand inside my pot of food’
‘ I don’t like him entering my kitchen’
‘ he wants me to greet him first’

Humble yourself my darling. He is a part of your family, as long as he is not being totally disrespectful, you need to tolerate peoples personalities at least for peace to reign. If you’re cooking for everyone in the house, is it a necessity for him to ask you before he serves himself? Why do you want your brother in law to feel like a complete stranger in your house? You’re just creating unmeasurable headache for yourself.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by sparog(m): 4:36pm On Feb 05, 2020
1StopRudeness:
Mehn these are shallow, infinitesimal issues I personally feel if u ain’t the the classic “me and my husband alone kinda woman” this isn’t worth loosing ur peace over let alone creating a thread to rant

He went to the kitchen he ddnt tell me, ordinary food, did he eat everything and not leave any for u and ur husband??

he put the spoon somehow, the spoon is bend, it’s broken..... Spoon... as in ordinary 100naira spoon!!!

He wants me to greet him first..did he say so??...oh please! This is the lamest one...
what’s the big deal about saying hello and chatting when u see a person.

see, don’t get me wrong, I know we have different tolerance and organizing style as humans...and sometimes it sort of bothers some people more than normal when outsiders invade their space.....but these issues are so unimportant people will just say u are not accommodating at the end of the day.....

Madam let it go....a little accommodating spirit will make the issues u raised unimportant to you

Unless it’s really not about the spoons and pot of soup...if it’s probably because the guy isn’t allowing u moan as loud as u want or feel free in ur house with short skimpy clothes...just tell ur husband... I trust my guy.......

You have sense mbok

5 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by sparog(m): 4:37pm On Feb 05, 2020
Foodqueen:
What this
U tolerated it during courtship and it becomes a norm when u married his brother.

U are one of those people that don't like husband relative. Madam, be more tolerance. At one time or the other I av my bro and sister in-law live with me though separate times.
I respect them alot and at the same time send them errand I will send my younger ones... All u have to do is just apply wisdom. They are no longer with me but the respect we av for each other is topnotch.

He won't be with you forever. So chillax.

More wisdom to you

5 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by Marley147: 5:07pm On Feb 05, 2020
Iwantpeace:

no pls it's not all about that! do u know when I am not around this guy does whatever he likes at home.finish everything he sees. I just came back from the market now to look for what to cook later in the afternoon. I perceived smoke in the whole house, this guy has fried yam n ate all of it, washed the plate and left the others the way I saw it. as in from 8am -12pm he has eaten 2times not even minding if I have eaten once or not. haba!!
you're are very difficult person yourself why are you counting how many times he eats why can't you be free & allow him to be free too mind you that he was in that house before so don't think it will be easy for you to control him easily doesn't his brother provide money for food its still too early woman you even said he is your husband's immediate younger brother what will happen if you greet him first why not to relax & enjoy your new marriage complaining of things that you should over look & enjoy your new home pls don't frustrate yourself cos you're doing so already

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by Marley147: 5:18pm On Feb 05, 2020
Iwantpeace:

like I said before I spent the yuletide season in their family house and never will he do that. i m very positive about that . how comes he is doing this now??
get out you're only trying to create problems for your self in your new marriage keep it up make sure you will get a very strong juju for to be able to dance the drum you're about to start cos marriage no be sugar time shall come when you & your hubby will also have issues just chase the people that can speak for you at that moment you think your people alone can do that. When they say get home training some of will refuse rather you receive friends training

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by GboyegaD(m): 5:26pm On Feb 05, 2020
Iwantpeace:
Hello good morning nairalanders. I have been a guest and a member of this forum for quite some time now. I have equally seen and learnt from the inputs of many issues brought here especially family one. So I decided to create this new account .
I am a new married woman, my marriage is barely 3 months . Before we got married I and my husband agreed that visitors will not stay longer than 2weeks in our home. Although he begged me that his immediate younger brother whom has been staying with him will stay for a while or comes to stay with us anytime he is on holidays. I reluctantly agreed just for peace to reign.He shuttles between our home and my SIL homes for now. To cut the long story short, prior to when we got married that I go visit my then fiancée, anytime I cook this guy is fond of dipping his hands into my pot of soup or food without asking me and this is what I am not comfortable with and I really don't like it. I have sister in law too and I have sisters too anytime I go visiting I don't dip my hands into their pot of food without their consent I see it as somethnig disrespectful. Again, I couldn't talk then because I feel he may say 'ha dem never marry her she dun de get attitude' , now he's continued the same attitude. Yesterday, I made food for the house, dished his own he ate and slept off when he woke up late in the night he went to my pot again and spoilt my dishing spoon in the process. meanwhile I have not dished out my husband's meal. Coincidentally, my husband came in from work at that moment and I was going to the kitchen to serve him his meal when I saw him doing what I don't like. When he saw me he said 'this spoon dun spoil '. I kept quiet. I later discussed with my husband told him that i am not happy with the way his brother is entering my kitchen anyhow n because I am someone that don't like keeping things in my mind I like saying it out to free myself. When I told my husband he said we will talk in the morning . This morning , the first thing this brother in law of mine was to go straight to the kitchen to look for something to eat. This is someone that will eat and keep the dishes , whenever he is around I don't stay in the living room anymore my room and my phone is my companion because we stay in a one bedroom flat for now. He's giving me this attitude of its my brothers house so I can do as I please, when he comes back he expects me to greet him first. I am not saying he cannot stay but my main issue is that he is tempering with my kitchen n trying to flex muscles with me. Pls how do I handle this issue with my husband amicably because uptill now he hasn't said anything and its bothering me.

I truly do not see any issue here. You may want to have an idea on how they grew up and the level of freedom they have when it comes to getting what to eat. If they grew up having no issues going to the kitchen to get what they need at anytime, then, I will suggest you let it slide and if you can't, learn to let it slide. If otherwise, you may want to let him know you are not comfortable with it in a respectful way however, it could be termed as you asking him not to visit but at same time to, you need your sanity. Over all, it is too less of an issue to bother too much over.

5 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by Marley147: 5:33pm On Feb 05, 2020
Ginaz:
remember that he has been there before before her & you all seems to forget that she said his immediate younger brother whom would definitely be her senior

That aspect you said it’s not nice to ask permission before he dishes food for himself is wrong . As big as I am, when I go out to visit my aunts or friends I do ask for permission to serve myself .

It’s totally wrong to be in someone’s house and not take permission to serve yourself no matter how familiar you are with the person . It’s called manner!!! cos you don’t know if the person hasn’t eaten or that is the last meal in the house at the moment or the food is being monitored so I could last some days.

It’s very disrespectful. What’s wrong in saying “can I serve something to eat?” When you go to a restaurant, you just don’t walk in there and go to the kitchen to pick whatever you want . You first of all make an order.

When you’re In someone’s house , coordinate yourself very well. Haba!!! The brother-in-law have bad manners. She should have corrected them earlier on than now .
Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by eyefordetails: 5:36pm On Feb 05, 2020
The first 12 months of a newly married couple living together should strictly be without any visitor staying with them. It's barely 3 months of marriage and you're having this kinda problem? It's too early ma'am. You prolly didnt discuss well with your spouse before marriage.

6 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by GboyegaD(m): 5:39pm On Feb 05, 2020
Iwantpeace:

no pls it's not all about that! do u know when I am not around this guy does whatever he likes at home.finish everything he sees. I just came back from the market now to look for what to cook later in the afternoon. I perceived smoke in the whole house, this guy has fried yam n ate all of it, washed the plate and left the others the way I saw it. as in from 8am -12pm he has eaten 2times not even minding if I have eaten once or not. haba!!

On the issue of how many times he has eaten, that one shouldn't be a problem. Except you guys don't have enough then, talk to him as a brother and make him see reasons on how you need him to understand the home situation at the moment. For the plates, let him know he did not do well. It makes no sense that he washed just his and left others and you would appreciate he washes all the next time. See him as you would see your younger family members.

3 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by GboyegaD(m): 5:40pm On Feb 05, 2020
Iwantpeace:

Then, handle it with wisdom.
Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by drmikeadams(m): 5:43pm On Feb 05, 2020
Charleys:
You are still another girlfriend to his brother and when your time comes you will leave.

Your husband needs to talk to him and tell him that you are a different person that you are not his other girlfriends that he brings to the house, maybe he still has that mentality.

I stayed in my brother's house for two years I no even behave like this. I dey look for how to impress make madam no vex influence brother (through sex) make him comot me for house grin

I saw ladies come and go but when this particular one came no be person tell me to behave. Now they're married. If I want to go stay there for two weeks they'll still beg me not to go home because my record there no one has broken. Not even her relatives.
grin grin grin. Them dey always use sex control and manipulate men
Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by alexmakaay(m): 5:55pm On Feb 05, 2020
Amanee:
You are obviously the architect of your problem

Women always get this wrong during relationships, whatever you don't like, express it! Don't bottle it up and wait till marriage to address it. I don't know why you'll be having ulcer over issues in your relationship that you're waiting to address in marriage, it won't work. This is why plenty men feel like their wives have changed in marriage.

Speak your mind and speak it loud, stop hiding your dis-ease in the relationship because you want to please one man and trap him. It back fires in the end.

So sister op, you have no choice but to keep complaining while everyone starts saying that you've changed and your brother-in-law ostracizes you. You caused it by not speaking out from the beginning.

okay, she caused it.. but we can't dwell on that nowww.. what she needs now is solution. that's all

1 Like

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 05, 2020
Marley147:
get out you're only trying to create problems for your self in your new marriage keep it up make sure you will get a very strong juju for to be able to dance the drum you're about to start cos marriage no be sugar time shall come when you & your hubby will also have issues just chase the people that can speak for you at that moment you think your people alone can do that. When they say get home training some of will refuse rather you receive friends training
Hahaha this to much ooo. Girls too like friends training ooo.
Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by alexmakaay(m): 5:58pm On Feb 05, 2020
Charleys:
You are still another girlfriend to his brother and when your time comes you will leave.

Your husband needs to talk to him and tell him that you are a different person that you are not his other girlfriends that he brings to the house, maybe he still has that mentality.

I stayed in my brother's house for two years I no even behave like this. I dey look for how to impress make madam no vex influence brother (through sex) make him comot me for house grin

I saw ladies come and go but when this particular one came no be person tell me to behave. Now they're married. If I want to go stay there for two weeks they'll still beg me not to go home because my record there no one has broken. Not even her relatives.
correct guy.. I feel you bro

2 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by alexmakaay(m): 6:00pm On Feb 05, 2020
1StopRudeness:
Mehn these are shallow, infinitesimal issues I personally feel if u ain’t the the classic “me and my husband alone kinda woman” this isn’t worth loosing ur peace over let alone creating a thread to rant

He went to the kitchen he ddnt tell me, ordinary food, did he eat everything and not leave any for u and ur husband??

he put the spoon somehow, the spoon is bend, it’s broken..... Spoon... as in ordinary 100naira spoon!!!

He wants me to greet him first..did he say so??...oh please! This is the lamest one...
what’s the big deal about saying hello and chatting when u see a person.

see, don’t get me wrong, I know we have different tolerance and organizing style as humans...and sometimes it sort of bothers some people more than normal when outsiders invade their space.....but these issues are so unimportant people will just say u are not accommodating at the end of the day.....

Madam let it go....a little accommodating spirit will make the issues u raised unimportant to you

Unless it’s really not about the spoons and pot of soup...if it’s probably because the guy isn’t allowing u moan as loud as u want or feel free in ur house with short skimpy clothes...just tell ur husband... I trust my guy.......

will you shut the f**k up.. why is it that among the 12 there must be Judas?? you go worse pass that stupid lazy brother in law of hers

2 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by Nobody: 6:09pm On Feb 05, 2020
alexmakaay:

will you shut the f**k up.. why is it that among the 12 there must be Judas?? you go worse pass that stupid lazy brother in law of hers

U are mannerless... see how U are screaming shut up......because I have an opinion different from ur own.....I am a judas?? Please who did I betray??

see ..take ur condescending behaviour elsewhere... this is a public forum ... if u can’t maintain a civilized dialogue without insulting people and expecting counter opinions ... please deactivate ur profile

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by ireneidiva(f): 6:17pm On Feb 05, 2020
Iwantpeace:
Sorry its a bit long. Its just that I don't like anything that will disturb the peace of my mind. And again I have been to their family house and I know he can't do that there then why is he doing it in my place here
Tell him not to dish food by himself. Tell him you will dish it for him. After cooking, store some in the fridge and keep your husbands own aside and give him his. If you are going out, make sure you keep food for him to eat when he is hungry and tell him. Example: I kept beans for you, you can eat it if you are hungry. Remind him to wash his dishes after eating. Wash your own yourself because it is your duty not his except he offers. Also try to be more tolerant and stop reporting him, he wont be there forever.

7 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by Nobody: 6:23pm On Feb 05, 2020
ireneidiva:

Tell him not to dish food by himself. Tell him you will dish it for him. After cooking, store some in the fridge and keep your husbands own aside and give him his. If you are going out, make sure you keep food for him to eat when he is hungry and tell him. Example: I kept beans for you, you can eat it if you are hungry. Remind him to wash his dishes after eating. Wash your own yourself because it is your duty not his except he offers. Also try to be more tolerant and stop reporting him, he wont be there forever.
With all this your advice, I guess the best thing for the guy to leave this house for you and who you are telling to treat him like a baby boy.

6 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by egopersonified(f): 6:25pm On Feb 05, 2020
In all you do, remember that boy will be called father tomorrow. Most young marriages experience this, just be wise.

7 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by ireneidiva(f): 6:26pm On Feb 05, 2020
Meeyankee:

With all this your advice, I guess the best thing for the guy to leave this house for you and who you are telling to treat him like a baby boy.
When you live in peoples houses, follow their rules. He should go back to his father's house if he can't. Some people will tell you to go and dish your own food or cook whatever you like in their houses. So their house, their rules. Since this is what she wants, he has to comply.

2 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by fatymore(f): 6:33pm On Feb 05, 2020
Even when I cook, my fiance doesn't haul food from the pot...

I do that not to talk of anybody...

Just talk to him stylishly
Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by Nobody: 6:33pm On Feb 05, 2020
ireneidiva:

When you live in peoples houses, follow their rules. He should go back to his father's house if he can't. Some people will tell you to go and dish your own food or cook whatever you like in their houses. So their house, their rules. Since this is what she wants, he has to comply.
Their house,their house,keep on saying their house. are you sure you understand the story at all? Just note that the lady’s husband and his brother are coming from somewhere. This how some of your girls treat their in-laws like strangers.she for understand the relationship between his husband and his brother or better still leave the relationship back then. Come no be only wife get husband ok. The husband get parents and siblings too.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by Lush100(m): 6:52pm On Feb 05, 2020
dear madam,
u need wisdom.
if ur hobby junior brother is not less than 20 or if he is older or same age range as u,
u need to apply some caution.
why?
if your husband doesn't see anything wrong that he stays with you. if ur mother in law doesn't see anything wrong that he stays with you, you will have to find a way to make friends with him. it's from there u can then make it work for u.
for your information, your husband may as well be tolerating his stay but maybe knows there's nothing he can do.
brothers fight each other but they don't hate each other.
you have to navigate this phase. this ur brother in law may be without a job, but u can't just ask him to leave, you may need his help latter,
instead of focusing on ur brother in law, why not focus on your husband and make him increase the amount he gives u on food,( "like my dear, we go need more food money, I want to feed ur our brother so he will have cheeks, u know he gets hungry easily (in a jovial manner).
make friends with him, u can then say" let's make deal, I serve u big meat, u wash ur plate in laughter, he will do it.

11 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by ireneidiva(f): 6:53pm On Feb 05, 2020
Meeyankee:

Their house,their house,keep on saying their house. are you sure you understand the story at all? Just note that the lady’s husband and his brother are coming from somewhere. This how some of your girls treat their in-laws like strangers.she for understand the relationship between his husband and his brother or better still leave the relationship back then. Come no be only wife get husband ok. The husband get parents and siblings too.
Nobody is dragging the ownership of the grown man. He is now starting up his own nuclear family which comprises of him, his wife and kids. So any other person is a visitor to that home. It is not his house. It is the husband and wife's home.

5 Likes

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by Nnemuka(f): 7:02pm On Feb 05, 2020
You people do not always have problems with inlaws when you are dating immediately then do small thing for una head church agbasia.
You nolonger can endure what you were enduring before, even greeting that you do without being forced is now a big issue for you. Who says he must greet you especially if he's older than you undecided

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by olabrinks(f): 7:02pm On Feb 05, 2020
ireneidiva:

Nobody is dragging the ownership of the grown man. He is now starting up his own nuclear family which comprises of him, his wife and kids. So any other person is a visitor to that home. It is not his house. It is the husband and wife's home.
Are you married? I highly doubt it, I’m sorry.

Because I don’t understand how you’re making such a big issue over food or kitchen issues.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup by Nobody: 7:05pm On Feb 05, 2020
ireneidiva:

I understand you but just note that elastic always get limit.but I also understand say supposedly you be the guy family you go talk like this ooo.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Who Is To Blame? / Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? / I Just Saw CONDOM In My Husband's Wallet, Am I Suppose To Just Overlook It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.