Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,987 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

What Made Nigeria So Populated - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Made Nigeria So Populated (19985 Views)

Amaechi To Be Made Nigeria Ambassador To Australia. / Ezeife- They Have Made Nigeria Ungovernable For Jonathan / Who Is The Most Corrupt President In Nigeria So Far? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by chyz(m): 2:24am On Dec 17, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

they aint stable as we want them to be

there are planning election next year

Please you sound invite more of zimbabweans on this site. I would love to chat african politics with you all for OUR(Africans) own good and betterment.

Question: How do you all really feel about Mugabe and what his essential plan for the country?
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Ikengawo: 2:26am On Dec 17, 2010
Nigeria's population can be credited to thousands of years of successful civilizations in the area, and pre colonial urbanization that was rare in africa. It can also be attributed to its favourable geographic location as a cross roads for north central and west africa that's full of arable land and rivers.

simply making kids doesn't sustain a population, it's keeping them alive long enough to be a grandparent that does
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Basseti: 2:28am On Dec 17, 2010
chyz:

There is nothing like Hausa-Fulani but the is Hausa, Igbo,Yoruba, Fulani, Ibibio,etc. Neither the Hausas or the fulanis are the most populous within nigeria.

I am glad someone pointed that out. Ugh

Besides, Nigeria's problem is not that of population  grin Its not as if we cant support 150 million people if the resources were shared equitably. Nigeria is not Eritrea  angry

So I dont really know why Zim with his Mugabe-liking a$$ will come here to spew thrash
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by OchiAgha2(m): 2:28am On Dec 17, 2010
chyz:

There is nothing like Hausa-Fulani but the is Hausa, Igbo,Yoruba, Fulani, Ibibio,etc. Neither the Hausas or the fulanis are the most populous within nigeria.

You are wrong. The Fulani in the North have mostly become Hausa in culture and language. That is why they are always lumped in with the Hausa.

The Hausa are the most populous group within Nigeria. And the Hausa people are a very large ethnic group. They can be considered one of the largest ethnities in all of Africa. Hausa is considered a lingua franca by many in West Africa since the language is spoken in Nigeria, Niger, Benin, Ghana, Burkana Faso etc.

Hausaland was very advanced prior to colonialism. And it supported a huge population. By the time, the European arrived in Northern Nigeria, they were commenting how populous the North was, because of trade and arable land. It was also highly urbanized.

Leave sentiment alone. The North has a large population. Not including cattle. . . undecided
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:29am On Dec 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

oops . . . a mistype on my part but you are suggesting the the reason why Canada, with the second largest land mass, has less than 34 million is because, according to you, most of russia is uninhabitable? Do the canadians , and russians know this? shocked You mean before the canadians and russians decide to procreate, they check the size of inhabitable land before making the decision as to whether to go ahead or not? shocked

have asked yourself why they havent got large cities in those remote wilderness
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:32am On Dec 17, 2010
chyz:

Please you sound invite more of zimbabweans on this site. I would love to chat african politics with you all for OUR(Africans) own good and betterment.

Question: How do you all really feel about Mugabe and what his essential plan for the country?

i now hate the man with passion

he has ideas but crap when it comes to implement them
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Nobody: 2:32am On Dec 17, 2010
Ikengawo:

the ignorance on this site is overwhelming.

Nigeria's population can be credited to thousands of years of successful civilizations in the area, and pre colonial urbanization that was rare in africa. It can also be attributed to its favorable geographic location as a cross roads for north central and west africa that's full of arable land and rivers.

simply making kids doesn't sustain a population, it's keeping them alive long enough to be a grandparent that does

Making kids [b]increase [/b]population . So chill with your undertone insult.

No matter how favorable or civilized the area is, the ratio of children to each woman is also a factor.

You have japan, a very civilized and favorable region [IMO], yet their population is low due to the women's reluctance  to have children.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:35am On Dec 17, 2010
Basseti:

I am glad someone pointed that out. Ugh

Besides, Nigeria's problem is not that of population grin Its not as if we cant support 150 million people if the resources were shared equitably. Nigeria is not Eritrea angry

So I dont really know why Zim with his Mugabe-liking a$$ will come here to spew thrash

you crazy i only asked a question and most people went into defensive mode with me even attacking nigeria
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Nobody: 2:36am On Dec 17, 2010
The poster did not ask to know why we cannot support our population, but to know why we have population boom.

For the ITKs.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by chyz(m): 2:37am On Dec 17, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

i now hate the man with passion

he has ideas but crap when it comes to implement them

what were some of his ideas?
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Basseti: 2:41am On Dec 17, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

The poster did not ask to know why we cannot support our population, but to know why we have population boom.

For the ITKs.

And this is ur answer? undecided

Ileke-IdI:

Nigerian mentality that having even # (4, 6, 8] of children makes their family closer together.

Polygamy: Almajiris and his twenty wives giving birth to 5 children each.

Igbo men and their want for football family.

Yoruba men and their promiscuity, leading to forced polygamy.

Our teenagers that believe that tapping men with pregnancy will lead to love.

And then you have the accidental 1%.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Nobody: 2:43am On Dec 17, 2010
Basseti:

And this is your answer? undecided

Fix your face, its not cute.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Basseti: 2:44am On Dec 17, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

you crazy i only asked a question and most people went into defensive mode with me even attacking nigeria

Nothing personal.

I was reacting to the exchange bw you and kobo where u implied that there is a direct correlation between land and population.

If u want an answer to ur question, read Ikenagwo's post.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by chyz(m): 2:46am On Dec 17, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

You are wrong. The Fulani in the North have mostly become Hausa in culture and language. That is why they are always lumped in with the Hausa.

The Hausa are the most populous group within Nigeria. And the Hausa people are a very large ethnic group. They can be considered one of the largest ethnities in all of Africa. Hausa is considered a lingua franca by many in West Africa since the language is spoken in Nigeria, Niger, Benin, Ghana, Burkana Faso etc.

Hausaland was very advanced prior to colonialism. And it supported a huge population. By the time, the European arrived in Northern Nigeria, they were commenting how populous the North was, because of trade and arable land. It was also highly urbanized.

Leave sentiment alone. The North has a large population. Not including cattle. . . undecided

why would i have sentiment because of the issue. It doesn't matter what language a fulani man speaks,he will always say he is fulani.You talk about hausaland(as a whole) but i am taking about hausaland(within nigeria). As per nigeria, neither of them are the most populous.and you cannot but to tribes together like that. Why aren't the kanuri added to the Hausa-fulani since they also know how to speak hausa. Why arent Okrikas added to Igbo since they've "basically become igbo",according to your definition?Igbo and yoruba and the 2 largest tribe in from nigeria,
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:47am On Dec 17, 2010
chyz:

what were some of his ideas?

making a black zimbabwean better i.e being his own boss or share wealth with whiteman etc

but all his croonies are taking the companies and farms

and most farms are leased to people over a 99 years lease period  you cant even get a loan from the bank using the farm becoz it is on lease from the government

some black are finding hard to run the farms they got and they have prefered to lease to the whites who can run it but mugabe is threatening to take the farm if one is found out if he leasing to whiteman so it now means he is controlling the way you even run your business transactions
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Kilode1: 2:48am On Dec 17, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

everyone who did geography know that nigeria is the most populous country in africa and most nigeria confuse that with being a gaint of africa economically

Confuse? Nah! true, we are all lagging in Africa economically but, Nigeria being "a giant of Africa" economically is not far from the truth at all.

Second largest Economy in Africa; and we didn't say that

Bloomberg did
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=azkAZY0Yo3rE

The Economist did in Sept, check second paragraph;
http://www.economist.com/node/13278805

http://www.economist.com/node/17043674?story_id=17043674&fsrc=rss

Business week did
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-10-06/sub-saharan-africa-growth-forecast-cut-to-5-5-by-imf.html

Even the World Bank said it, but that is not the issue though. I would prefer we are all competing favourably with Europe, Asia and North America rather than these "You all try to think you are the best back and forth we constantly do over nothing really.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by OchiAgha2(m): 2:50am On Dec 17, 2010
Nigeria has the most potential out of any African nation. South Africa still has to solve that land issue, which can blow in their face. They do not want to go the route Zimbabwe has taken. That would be prove disastrous for the region.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:53am On Dec 17, 2010
Kilode?!:

Confuse? Nah! true, we are all lagging in Africa economically but, Nigeria being "a giant of Africa" economically is not far from the truth at all.

Second largest Economy in Africa; and we didn't say that

Bloomberg did
The Economist did in Sept, check second paragraph;

Business week did
Even the World Bank said it, but that is not the issue though. I would prefer we are all competing favourably with Europe, Asia and North America rather than these "You all try to think you are the best back and forth we constantly do over nothing really.

come on swallow your pride

the one on top is the gaint not number two

use this phrase GAINT NUMBER TWO IN AFRICA

the GIANT OF AFRICAN ECONOMICALLY  phrase belongs to SOUTH AFRICA period
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by chyz(m): 2:54am On Dec 17, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

making a black zimbabwean better i.e being his own boss or share wealth with whiteman etc

but all his croonies are taking the companies and farms

and most farms are leased to people over a 99 years lease period  you cant even get a loan from the bank using the farm becoz it is on lease from the government

some black are finding hard to run the farms they got and they have prefered to lease to the whites who can run it but mugabe is threatening to take the farm if one is found out if he leasing to whiteman so it now means he is controlling the way you even run your business transactions

Sometimes i think we africans are cursed. Is there at least something good he did? You know had it not been for the white people coming to zimbabwe you wouldn't be going through this nonsense right?
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:57am On Dec 17, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

Nigeria has the most potential out of any African nation. South Africa still has to solve that land issue, which can blow in their face. They do not want to go the route Zimbabwe has taken. That would be prove disastrous for the region.

pliz just swallow the pride

we aint looking for who has potential

we are just looking at who is number one at the present -- period
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Kilode1: 2:57am On Dec 17, 2010
My arm chair analysis. Warning: Not based on hard research cool

I think Nigeria is heavily populated because we live in one of the most fertile regions in Africa, I believe people tend to bunk a lot when they have enough to eat. cheesy

We grow most of our staples outside rice. Despite the poor Agro-economy, we hardly have Garri scarcity, Yam scarcity and our beef is mostly locally sourced, same for the veggies. I bet there are many other indices and factors, but from my arm-chair analysis I believe food and climate is a major reason.

Compared to the growth rates we have in other African regions, West Africa seems to be doing well with food self-sufficiency, fewer drought years than other regions

NOTE: I'm not speaking about large scale commercial farming, Zimbabwe got that before Mugabe and his whities fought.

I'm speaking primarily about local staple food production and a climate that supports small scale farming with little irrigation and fertilizer needs.

In short, we grow most what we eat! I wish I can say that for the other stuffs we use.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Nobody: 3:00am On Dec 17, 2010
Kilode?!:

I think Nigeria is heavily populated because we live in one of the most fertile regions in Africa, I believe people tend to bunk a lot when they have enough to eat. cheesy

We grow most of our staples outside rice. Despite the poor Agro-economy, we hardly have Garri scarcity, Yam scarcity and our beef is mostly locally sourced, same for the veggies. I bet there are many other indices and factors, but from my arm-chair analysis I believe food and climate is a major reason.

Compared to the growth rates we have in other African regions, West Africa seems to be doing well with food self-sufficiency, fewer drought years than other regions

NOTE: I'm not speaking about large scale commercial farming, Zimbabwe got that before Mugabe and his whities fought.

I'm speaking primarily about local staple food production and a climate that supports small scale farming with little irrigation and fertilizer needs.

In short, we grow most what we eat! I wish I can say that for the other stuffs we use.

But a lot dont have enough.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:01am On Dec 17, 2010
chyz:

Sometimes i think we africans are cursed. Is there at least something good he did? You know had it not been for the white people coming to zimbabwe you wouldn't be going through this nonsense right?

he did good for a while i.e maintaining for a while what was handed over by smith and also buiding more schools hospital/clinics and raising the literacy in zimbabwe

after 1990 things slowly started to nose dive
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by OchiAgha2(m): 3:03am On Dec 17, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

Well Nigeria is number 1 in terms of population. Number 2 in size of economy. Period.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by chyz(m): 3:04am On Dec 17, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

he did good for a while i.e maintaining for a while what was handed over by smith and also buiding more schools hospital/clinics and raising the literacy in zimbabwe

after 1990 things slowly started to nose dive

basically after he started seizing white peoples property?
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Kilode1: 3:05am On Dec 17, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

Take is easy My Zim Sister, there is no pride to swallow here, I don't do silly African rivalry. Abi na Brother you be?

You said "A giant" not "The" Giant  I replied you based in that pronouncement, get it?

ZIM DRILL:

everyone who did geography know that nigeria is the most populous country in africa and most nigeria confuse that with being a gaint of africa economically
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:06am On Dec 17, 2010
Kilode?!:

you might be right but let me ask

aint garri, yam indigineous to nigeria  which might be reason why it is easy to farm

therefore anyone have it behind his backyard
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:10am On Dec 17, 2010
Kilode?!:

Take is easy My Zim Sister, there is no pride to swallow here, I don't do silly African rivalry. Abi na Brother you be?

You said "A giant" not "The" Giant I replied you based in that pronouncement, get it?

come on man

yes i said A GAINT which is the same with THE GAINT

if i had said ONE OF THE GAINTS then nigeria would fit in
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:12am On Dec 17, 2010
chyz:

basically after he started seizing white peoples property?

no

seizing was 10 years later, 2000
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Kilode1: 3:14am On Dec 17, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

you might be right but let me ask

aint garri, yam indigineous to nigeria  which might be reason why it is easy to farm

therefore anyone have it

Yes they are indigenous to Nigeria and probably to some other countries as well and that is my point. MOST of our staples are indigenous to Nigeria. We tend to eat what we grow. I will argue that it counts for something when you compare us to countries that

1. Eat imported crops more that local ones.

2. Grow crops that are NOT indigenous to their environment or climate, hence they become more susceptible to environmental challenges and the dictates of the global food market.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by Kilode1: 3:20am On Dec 17, 2010
ZIM DRILL:

come on man

yes i said A GAINT which is the same with THE GAINT

if i had said ONE OF THE GAINTS then nigeria would fit in

Don't let me start doubting your Zimbabwe High literacy claims.

A is not the same as THE.

The Moon
A star

A is indefinite or general
The is definite or particular

South Africa is THE giant
Nigeria is A giant.

C'mon now.
Re: What Made Nigeria So Populated by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:21am On Dec 17, 2010
Kilode?!:

Yes they are indigenous to Nigeria and probably to some other countries as well and that is my point. MOST of our staples are indigenous to Nigeria. We tend to eat what we grow. I will argue that it counts for something when you compare us to countries that

1. Eat imported crops more that local ones.

2. Grow crops that are NOT indigenous to their environment or climate, hence they become more susceptible to environmental challenges and the dictates of the global food market.

mugabe made the wrong move to touch commercial farms that where contributing much to the economy before he had better producing commercial black farm to replace the whites ones

now those black farmer are struggling to farms commercial they dont have money to buy simple treated seeds worse fertilizer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

APC Lawmakers Elect To March Into Rivers House Of Assembly / Oyo Assembly Approves Nomination Of Bayo Lawal To Replace Olaniyan As Deputy Gov / Why We Raided A Computer Office In Lagos - DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.