Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,020 members, 7,810,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? - Health (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? (84175 Views)

Do You Personally Know Anyone With Covid-19 In Nigeria? / 4 Nigerians Who Have Died Of Coronavirus (photos) / Coronavirus: Lady Who Tested Positive Shares The Symptoms She Experienced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by Blizzykay: 10:00pm On Apr 23, 2020
ShySteady:

I am interested in this your claim. Please, can you take out some of your time and throw some lights on this experience?

Let me help u.A family friend, a policeman died in Benin two days ago of covid19. Its real and closer than u think

3 Likes

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by Taciturn1: 10:00pm On Apr 23, 2020
24kmagic:
Same question i have always wanted to ask.

I also have my doubts about the numbers ncdc do bring out, especially that of Kano.

Kano state can inflate figures for Africa.
If they tell you they counted ten in Kano, just know that what they actually counted was 5 and half. Even their population is inflated.

Upon all the federal allocation they get from inflating figures, they are still among states with the poorest number of people in this country.

The day this country will split into two equal halves, there'll be gnashing of teeth in the core north.

Very useless, unproductive folks.
North is worth far more than South in Natural Resources

3 Likes

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by nizzyong(m): 10:01pm On Apr 23, 2020
I know of two people. one have died.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Apr 23, 2020
kadiri3:
did she tell u there was coro patient in the hospital?
no she told me there are mentally deranged patients like you in the hospital

1 Like

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by akaahs(m): 10:02pm On Apr 23, 2020
Pinkyposh:
Yes I have seen, one died in my hospital. Corona virus is real
Please let me ask U a question, no vex. According to ur experience, is the person really showing the symptoms ascribed by ncdc?

1 Like

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by Asiri1991: 10:03pm On Apr 23, 2020
COVID 19 is real. My problem is that the number of cases are under estimated because we lack testing kits. A country of over 200 million people are struggling to complete 1500 tests everyday. Invariably, it will take us over 360 years to test every Nigerian. I pray that vaccines come to our aid. If not, the OP will soon know himself as a COVID 19 victim. Stay safe friends.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by kadiri3(m): 10:03pm On Apr 23, 2020
camsyross:
Africans are so dull.. the thing is right in ur very eyes and u are still doubting. Ignorance will not kill us.. almost half of the people in my community keep saying it's a scam. I wore facemask the other day on my way out, almost every one was staring at me like I came from the moon. The shit is real.be warned and stay safe
coro is fake

1 Like

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by OriOko88(m): 10:05pm On Apr 23, 2020
angry this thread reeks of ignorance. See the type of people I'm sharing d country with, doubting the potency of d virus if it has affected any one we know. Is it until it start afecting our loved one before we start to believe. If you're waiting till then, you're no longer save cos it might wipe our your entire family @op.
Stay safe, corona virus is fvcking real. Do u think the govt like the way the commercial centre of Nigeria is locked down ni. Wise up. Coro no dey look face embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by eaglechild: 10:05pm On Apr 23, 2020
Do I know anyone who has died of COVID-19?
Unfortunately yes, lost a co worker within 6 days after he became ill. It made the reality of the situation very lucid.
Do I know anyone who has tested positive?
I know several. At a point a third of our hospital staff were in isolation.

Over 18,000 people (probably underreported) have died in the UK from COVID-19.

Is COVID-19 in Nigeria?
Trust me it is and it is grossly underreported.

Don't play with your life.
Stay safe

7 Likes

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by generationz(f): 10:06pm On Apr 23, 2020
Emmakohodis747:
Nope. That's why I don't really believe that there is corona in Africa. Prove me wrong

No one has time for that.

1 Like

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by mindtricks: 10:06pm On Apr 23, 2020
Like seriously??
God help us!

We keep praying Nigeria never really finds itself deep in such real hopeless crisis situation like other worse hit nations.
There wouldn't be enough time for people to even retrace their steps.

Wisdom and caution is the principal thing.
Even if it turns out not to be true, isn't it better off taking every precautionary measure just in case one is wrong?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by ini4brandon(m): 10:07pm On Apr 23, 2020
Yes... My wife's gynaecologist. He delivered our first son.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by humblebobojay(m): 10:07pm On Apr 23, 2020
Yes exactly you're right its only the government we are seeing o may God help us the lie is too much i think NCDC is a scam
Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by kponkedenge(m): 10:09pm On Apr 23, 2020
So you are waiting for the virus to enter your neighborhood before you believe?
Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by Kayharry(m): 10:11pm On Apr 23, 2020
Yes the virus is real .real in the western world, its been import into Africa .the question should be aside those who brought from abroad have you seen a local individual with the virus
Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Apr 23, 2020
Orubebe01:

Were you having symptoms cos they alwsal insist that the person must show symptoms before going for the test. Also I want to know how long it took for the test to come out.

Returned from the UK March 14. Fell ill shortly after.

They said the result will come out in 24 hours but I officially got mine the 3rd day. They probably prioritized those that tested positive in communicating (and acting on) result.

1 Like

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by mindtricks: 10:11pm On Apr 23, 2020
PHAYOL81:

Some of them just want to believe what they want. How much has Lagos State recieved that they wouldn't have made in just two weeks if the state has not gone into lockdown. Come to think of it, of these aids they collected they had built numerous care centers, spent many on awareness on media houses, and distributed palliatives. So, who's loosing? How would a sane person thinks he's coasting home because he got N2 not working when he should have gotten a guaranteed N20 going to work.
Some people's way of thinking belies their literacy! As you can hear them speak, it can be real in America, UK and other advance countries even in Saudi that have lock down Mecca, one of their source of income but it is a scam in Nigeria, like WTF? We need to change our orientation in this country I swear.

This is an average Nigerian for you. Our poor reasoning really beats me.
They think our looters wont steal better if not for this lock down.

1 Like

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by Uyi168: 10:14pm On Apr 23, 2020
larryking540:

Na me greet u pass....how Edo state ?
Fine.
We dey push am...
Lockdown here is partial..
Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by Investnow2017: 10:14pm On Apr 23, 2020
Wao, I have been sitting here reading comments on this ridiculous topic and I told myself: how much environment can impact and shape us even when we are educated.

Firstly, the question raised is most unnecessary. Secondly the reasons given by the OP to support his argument are not only laughable but preposterous. Third the premise he struggled to establish is irreconcilable with his argument.

And then I ask myself how on earth did this OP reduce to this level? I could only find an answer when I recalled an experience I had years ago. While in Dubai, I visited a pharmacy and asked to buy a particular medicine. The guy, guess he is a pharmacist, handed it to me. After examining it, I asked a question: "Sir, I hope this original?" The guy stepped forward and requested I repeat the question, and I repeated myself. The next question he asked me was "sir are from Nigeria?". "Here we don't sell fake drugs, we get our drugs direct from the factory. And then I suddenly realized I was not in Nigeria cheesy

I almost wept as I paid and left the pharmacy. Now why did I ask that question? Because of my unfortunate experience in my beloved country. Being someone who suffers from malaria regularly, I have been a distraught victim of fake drugs. So any where I go I try to ask and ask to be sure that I have been given the "original" medicine.

From the comments I have read so far, many, I mean many here are responding the way they do because our environment has so impacted us that they can even doubt an angel.

Even if some die-hard doubters visit the Isolation centres, their mind having been seared with unforgiving doubts will still not believe. This is very sad, very sad indeed.

Do you know how much a government loses by the lockdown? The figures are staggering. What is 50m Euro to the Nigerian govt? My neighbour who equally doubt told me that all the donations govt has received is up to N2billion and that if govt share the money all Nigerians at least each person will receive thousands of Naira. And then I brought a calculator and we both tried to share the N2b among the 200m Nigerians. The result? Nobody got up to N500. And he just opened his eyes cheesy

Some want to be seeing people falling on the street dying before they believe. Whoever told them that Covid-19 operate that way? Most symptoms are mild. Check Singapore. That country has been recording a minimum of 1,000 new cases everyday for one week now, only very very few have died.

Covid-19 attracts great news because it is highly infectious and vectors may not manifest symptoms making it more dangerous than most infectious diseases. And it can easily get the health facilities overwhelmed. Covid-19 is not as deadly as Ebola. Read more about this virus and please stop your "audio" or "scam" doubts, and be joyous that ours is still what it is. And never you leave these shores with that kind of childish mentality, it's dangerous if someone who has lost a family member or more hear you express such doubts.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by NiCurious: 10:16pm On Apr 23, 2020
abdullkabar:
Laughable post
Like seriously!!!!
Well, this is what our leaders have caused

*_This is one of the most enlightening information I've ever come across on this COVID-19 pandemic.
I don't know the originator but I think he/she deserves an applause.**_ ������

Read on.

� A QUESTION PEOPLE OFTEN ASK �

How/Why Do People Recover If There's Still No Proven Cure For COVID-19?

� ANSWER :

Most respiratory viruses-- including Corona viruses such as the ones that causes the Common Cold -- are self-limiting, so to say.

What this means is that they have a relatively finite period in the human body before they "wear themselves out," or the immune system contains them, and the sufferer recovers.

Treatment for these viruses is thus mostly aimed at;

1. Relieving symptoms, in order to make the sufferer comfortable.

2. Keeping the infected person alive by supporting organ systems attacked and impaired by the virus.

Most times, treatment is not aimed at curing such viral illnesses, by attacking the virus itself. This is partly because they're self-limiting, and partly because developing antiviral medication is darn difficult due to the fact that they mutate so rapidly, and are more or less like shape shifters. If you develop a treatment against this form today, tomorrow they may mutate into a form resistant to said treatment.

So, the best form of treatment for such viruses is prevention, either by modification of social and lifestyle habits, to break the chain of transmission; or by vaccination.

If someone however becomes infected, treatment, as the immune system slugs it out with the virus, is usually supportive, and not definitive.

Before we move on to COVID-19, I want to make a distinction and clarification between two forms of treatments- supportive treatment, and definitive treatment.

� DEFINITIVE/SPECIFIC TREATMENT

In the context of infectious diseases, definitive treatment entails treatment targeted specifically at the offending organism, aimed at eliminating it from the body. Once this is done, the body-- through its repair mechanisms, heals itself of the damage already caused by the organism, and the person recovers.

An example is use of antimalarial drugs to treat Malaria, and antibiotics to treat bacterial infections.

� SUPPORTIVE TREATMENT

This, in the context of infectious diseases, is treatment not aimed at eliminating the organism, but relieving its symptoms, and supporting vital bodily functions already compromised by it, while waiting for, or hoping that, the immune system will contain said infection.

So, if the person is having a distressful cough, you may have to give cough syrups to suppress it; if there's fever, you may have to use anti-pyretics, such as paracetamol, to relieve it; if in pain, analgesics may be used generously to make the patient more comfortable; etc.

If the infection compromises the function of certain vital organ systems, and the person is at risk of dying without optimal functioning of said system, you support the organ's function:

- For failing lungs; oxygen, and ventilators, may be needed.

- For cardiovascular collapse; fluids, and vaso-pressors may be given.

- For kidney failure; dialysis may come in handy.

Etc.

By doing these, you may be able to keep the body going, while the immune system wages battle against the offending organism.

If by the time the immune system is able to win the war and contain the infection, you have managed , through your supportive treatment, to keep the person alive, the person recovers.

However, if the damage caused by the organism in its wake is too much, and your supportive treatment couldn't keep the person alive to see the end of the battle between immune system and bug, the person dies.

� COVID-19

For COVID-19, the "finite" period of battle between immune system and virus is usually between 2 to 6 weeks-- up to 8 weeks in some instances, depending on the competence/resilience of the person's immune system, among other things.

If one is able to withstand the onslaught of the virus within this period, the person would pull through, sometimes without any treatment, other times with supportive treatment, all depending on the severity of the disease.

To put this in context, COVID-19 has 5 clinical variants BASED ON SEVERITY;

1. Asymptomatic Form.

In this form, one gets infected without manifesting any symptom whatsoever. The person thus ends up just as a mere carrier, spreading the infection to others.

2. Mild Disease.

Some people would get the virus, but just have upper respiratory tract infection, with symptoms such as sneezing, mild fever, cough, malaise, etc; and recover rapidly, with or without any supportive treatment.

3. Moderate Disease.

This group would go on to develop lower respiratory tract infection, with pneumonia, and would need some supportive treatment, but may not be sick enough to need oxygen therapy.

4. Severe Disease.

This group develop Pneumonia, and get so sick that they would need oxygen therapy.

5. Critical Disease

This group of patients get so bad, and develop A.R.D.S, and ventilatory respiratory failure, so much that they would need a ventilator to survive, without which they'd definitely die.

� NB

This classification is based solely on the effect of the virus on the respiratory system, its primary target in the body. That however doesn't mean that the virus only affects the lungs.

The form of the disease one develops depends on a host of factors including;

1. Immune status.

2. Age.

3. Presence of other co-morbidities, such as Diabetes, Hypertension, Heart Disease, Cancer, Chronic Lung Diseases, etc.

People with asymptomatic and mild to moderate forms of the disease don't need much help to recover; sometimes they're even advised to stay at home, especially in countries whose Hospitals are already overwhelmed, and are managed with minor conservative/supportive measures to relieve symptoms such as fever, headache, chest pain, and cough.

People with severe and critical forms of the disease would need Hospital admission and a lot of supportive measures, including oxygen therapy, ventilators, anti-shock therapy-- if necessary, and the full compliment of ICU care.

If conservative measures are enough to sustain the person, the person could still pull through even without specific antiviral therapy.

� CONCLUSION

Hope I've been able to make you understand how recovery is possible, even without a definitive cure.

Now you know.

-------------------------------------------

Just in case you were wondering, I intentionally didn't want to dabble into the controversies surrounding touted specific antiviral remedies such as the Hydroxychloroquine-Azithromycin combination, Kaletra/Alluvia, Arbidol, etc; because whatever influence they have on prognosis doesn't negate the submissions made here.

A very sensible post, but like too many sensible posts, the people who most need to see it, will say it is too long to read, and accuse you of "talking grammar".

3 Likes

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 23, 2020
harakiri:
O

Please calculate how much naira Abacha stole and compare it with the billions and billions of dollars in "aid" money coming. A handful of people in power are listing billions and billions used to "fight" the virus just within these few weeks and the only results we see are 7,000 tests for the whole nation and a satchet of noodles, few cups of rice and 1/4th a tuber of yam which hasn't reached 1% of the populace. Finally, why aren't we seeing corpses all over TV like it was when HIV was gaining ground? Why is the North which just started lockdown receiving palliatives (even before lockdown sef) while people have been starving for a month down south?

Some of you folks talking from your high horses are fortunate... I can't hate on that. But there are millions of peeps going days at a stretch without food. I don't expect you to care. Reality is this govt it incapable of handling covid 19.

I suggest what Czech rep is doing...hand gloves, face masks, sanitizers, testing, et all. And let people you can't do shit for get back to work.

Period!

When you talk about management of the virus, that is another thing.

But when you say, the number of coronavirus cases reported in Nigeria is padded or that the whole thing is stagemanaged to get money, then it has entered the realm of stupidity.

That is my point.

By the way, all the monies we are talking about for Nigeria Covid-19 (mis)management so far is nowhere near what Abacha stole pls.

6 Likes

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by shogsmania: 10:16pm On Apr 23, 2020
A close friend of mine is still undergoing treatment, he tested positive 3 weeks ago .it's only a foolish person that won't believe the virus is real.even his wife self is still in quarantine. I'm planning to go visit him tomorrow cos his kids are with me currently.

9 Likes

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by lexxwiz(m): 10:17pm On Apr 23, 2020
Are you guys kidding me? I have someone that got discharged yesterday. I spoke with her for more than 2 hours today. Her video of her leaving the Onikan isolation center is still in my phone. Y’all should be careful you fit be the person wey your neighbour go know. Stay safe! Her experience was a horror movie to me. Cheers

7 Likes

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by Pinkyposh(f): 10:18pm On Apr 23, 2020
akaahs:

Please let me a question, no vex. According to ur experience, is the person really showing the symptoms ascribed by ncdc?

Everyone does not present the same symptoms
He was having difficulty in breathing, chest CT scan was showing damaged lungs

3 Likes

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by onegig(m): 10:19pm On Apr 23, 2020
Iwillsurvivedis:
Well personally I don't know anyone who has been infected or died of the novel covid-19 virus, with the hype and rate of increase as purported by our government and the secrecy sorrounding those they claim to have it, I have my doubts regarding the figures.

I have personally followed Ghana on worldometer.info and Ghana's covid cases has remained below 1300 and just 9 deaths over the past week(s). So what does Ghana know that we don't.

Also I read a report on yahoo news saying sunlight easily kills the virus and we all know that the sun in Nigeria can boil yam in the right circumstance.

Another thing I noticed is that as soon as the European union gave Nigeria a 27 billion grant, the cases started to rise uncontrollably. Anyway thats my observation.

So do you know anyone with the virus or has the NCDC Being to your area to pick any suspected case.

Let us know.

Are you guys daft or is this just willful stupidity?

So the government wants to embezzle paltry 20billion they would go through the hoops just to tell a lie that is easily verifiable?

Do you know how much they make from clearing fees, VAT alone? For every single passenger flying out of Nigeria you pay a $20 handling fee. That's just handling fee let alone the all other charges. Do you know there is a N1 ETF tax on every single litre of fuel you buy.

So they would grind businesses to a halt and lockdown all cities just to embezzle 20billion when they have alternatives of making double of that in 2 weeks?

Where do they breed this kind of idi.ots in Nigeria? We need to start asking valid questions about the stupidity of people else they would start getting bolder and start talking rubbish. How did your common sense not even tell you to look at counter claims before opening your mouth to talk this?

16 Likes

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by Pinkyposh(f): 10:19pm On Apr 23, 2020
kadiri3:
liar
Your name though.... I'm not surprised
Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by larryking540: 10:20pm On Apr 23, 2020
Uyi168:
Fine.
We dey push am...
Lockdown here is partial..

Na so ,,the matter serious o
Covid con worst pass HIV o
Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by Pinkyposh(f): 10:20pm On Apr 23, 2020
ABIDOW96:

Ehyha
Where's that please?
Lagos state
Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by MansoryMX(m): 10:23pm On Apr 23, 2020
Enskynelson:
Yes. Last week, my friend tested positive in the UK. Throughout the time he was isolated, we kept chatting and he shared how he was feeling with me. He has recovered though and set to resume work on coming Monday. The virus is real but if your immune system is strong and you have no serious underlying illnesses, you may even suffer it and not know it is coronavirus.

This is what a lot of Nigerians are passing without knowing.
Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by anigbajumo(m): 10:23pm On Apr 23, 2020
Despite the fact that majority of people on social media re literate people but it's unfortunate that most of them are indeed educational illiterate.If we av these bunch of illiterates on social media wat of those people that doesn't go to school at all,can we see why this virus will cause more damages in our society.

Fool**ish people are saying they don't knw people living with the virus with less that 1000 cases which is not even up to 0.05% of our population,why are you guys are so daft like this??

Keep on doubting untill it knock ur door and find urself in isolation center,bunch of imbec**Ile old idiaT...

1 Like

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by BreconHills(m): 10:24pm On Apr 23, 2020
solmus:
cool

Common sense, 200,000,000 people cant all know 28 dead victims , same way 2.4 million registered account with many fake accounts included on nairaland cant all know 28 dead victims especialy has their names aint being mentioned to prevent stigmatization

Yours is the best contribution on this story. I can stop reading and go to bed happy knowing that someone is switched on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Personally Know Anyone Who Has Tested Positive Or Died Of Coronavirus? by kingPhidel(m): 10:25pm On Apr 23, 2020
Sultty:
Yes angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (21) (Reply)

How Rivers State Lockdown Trapped Me In Port Harcourt (Pictures) / Nasarawa Native Doctor Walks Out Of Casket At His Burial (Photo) / Why You Shouldn’t Shave Your Pubic Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.