Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship (25076 Views)

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 2:56pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:
dumb ass how can only oba be removed for short in the whole sentence. Ur example igbi n’oba came out as igbinoba as short which is logic. So omo n’oba n’edo a full word just happens to be just oba for short a word that coincidentally means king in Yoruba. Let’s say it were even true that I believe u which I don’t not in the slightest cuz u brothers are huge liars it still shows that the word oba doesn’t mean shit in ur language and it’s just short for the full title. Meanwhile in Yoruba we have oba, otunba title which has existed for centuries all over every Yoruba land. Oja oba in every Yoruba land too. Local ruler of a particular land are called baale. So tell me how did yoruba borrow the word oba from u according u liars in the 1950 and there is the so many words relating to oba that go back centuries.

Actually the word Oba was borrowed by the Yoruba and added into the titles of Yoruba chiefs most likely in the 1940's. If you go back and look at the original captions of ooni adesoji aderemi, then you will notice that he is referred to as "ooni of ife, sir aderemi". It is only later that he is ever referred to as Oba. And it is even later that he changes the Yoruba chiefs change the style of their names from "ooni of ife, sir aderemi" to "ooni of ife, oba aderemi"

Stop claiming you had titles which have existed for centuries, you can't prove such claims.

Ghostwon65:
What exactly does Benin have to do with this discussion ?
You Yoruba really like to mention Benin in every situation.

The emperor of Benin empire is titled:
OMO N'OBA N'EDO. Oba in short.

In the precolonial era, Yoruba chiefs didn't refer to themselves as "Oba". Rather they referred to themselves as ooni, alafin...
In the colonial era Yoruba chiefs started naming themselves in the following manner: "ooni of ife, sir adeyemi", "alafin of oyo, sir adetoye"...
Notice the introduction of two non Yoruba words: "of" and "sir".
The "sir" is a word from English nobility which the yorubas borrowed from the British in order to add some prestige to their titles.

However, later in the colonial era, the Yoruba dropped the word "sir" and replaced it with the word "Oba", yet an other non Yoruba word.

The word Oba belongs to Benin empire, it is how Benin empire calls it's emperor as witnessed by European visitors in the middle ages.

Basically, Yoruba copy other tribes a lot:
2) emir from Fulani
3) "sir" from the British
1) Oba from Benin

Even some Benin traditional swords were copied by the Yoruba.

You guys like to imitate other people's cultures, face this fact and live on.

I can boldly say that the first ooni of ife to be called Oba is adesoji aderemi.
Locate the previous ooni's captioned pictures and see for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 2:57pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:
lies oba doesn’t even have a meaning in edo language as most of ur brother have admitted several times here what u have is n’oba. And oba doesn’t mean emperor in edo cuz to be an emperor u have to have an empire. When Benin was still a kingdom in early stage the king was still called omo n’oba n’edo so stop lying. N’oba means shining and that’s not a name for an emperor. How can Benin be legitimate owner of a title that has no meaning in ur language. In Yoruba oba is king. Title relating to oba is otunba or u Benin go claim we adopt otunba title too. In oyo past traditions those who are buried with the king are called abobaku. Did we borrow it from Benin too. Get it into ur thick skull. Oba is yoruba n’oba is edo. U only borrowed oba. Shikena.

Oga every word has it etymology even the word king has it etymology and the etymology does not represent the meaning of the word it is simply it is simply an historical derivation of thee word and not necessarily the meaning or the importance of the word

Oba etymology is shinning

But literally means king

Ogie etymology means ʼsent'
Literally meaning, Duke, royalty

Enogie, ovie, enochie all means "someone sent' to rule on behalf and they are mostly dukes

The oba of lagos is an enogie and not oba he will be addressed as enogie o ke ekomeaning the duke of lagos

So oba means king in benin its etymology means shinning

So stop saying it doesn't mean king in benin because your eyes is not blind to see it is referred to a king in benin

If you want to argue further provide my evidence oromiyan came to benin with archeological or documented evidence

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 3:00pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:
u don’t have real ogboni in Benin what u have is fake. Ogboni in Yoruba land are political and an arm of government during the oyo empire with enormous powers.

So tge author who weote was mad abi he just decided to favour benin

The author was actually discussing yoruba history ans not benin

The quoted does not prove anything or disprove the fact that yorubas might have adopted to thier
Political system

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 13, 2020
gregyboy:

Oga every word has it etymology even the word king has it etymology and the etymology does not represent the meaning of the word it is simply it is simply an historical derivation of thee word and not necessarily the meaning or the importance of the word

But literally means king

Enogie, ovie, enochie all means "someone sent' to rule on behalf and they are mostly dukes

The oba of lagos is an enogie and not oba he will be addressed as enogie o ke ekomeaning the duke of lagos

So stop saying it doesn't mean king in benin because your eyes is not blind to see it is referred to a king in benin

If you want to argue further provide my evidence oromiyan came to benin with archeological or documented evidence

There is no such thing as west African etymology.
You are playing into the Yoruba game by not being logical at every given time.
Oba is the short version of Omo n'Oba n'Edo. Period.
It is the title of the emperor of Benin. Period.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 3:02pm On May 13, 2020
Ghostwon65:

There is no such thing as west African etymology.
You are playing into the Yoruba game by not being logical at every given time.
Oba is the short version of Omo n'Oba n'Edo. Period.
It is the title of the emperor of Benin. Period.

Yea, i told them earlier i guess I had to explain is confusion
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:03pm On May 13, 2020
gregyboy:

But literally means king

first of all there is nothing called oba it’s n’oba which means shining. And true every word has their own etymology but ur word was omo n’oba n’edo not oba cuz the word oba literally has no meaning in ur language it’s a fact so that’s out. And stop lying ur king in the past are called ogiso sky king the itsekiri king are called ogiamen while uhrobo word for king is Ovie.. oba of Lagos is a king not duke. All oba from ologun kutere doesn’t trace their ancestors to Benin except maternally.

2 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:
first of all there is nothing called oba it’s n’oba which means shining. And true every word has their own etymology but ur word was omo n’oba n’edo not oba cuz the word oba literally has no meaning in ur language it’s a fact so that’s out. And stop lying ur king in the past are called ogiso sky king the itsekiri king are called ogiamen while uhrobo word for king is Ovie.. oba of Lagos is a king not duke. All oba from ologun kutere doesn’t trace their ancestors to Benin except maternally.

You seem hell bent on ignoring logics.
Once again, Oba is short for Omo n'Oba n'Edo !
By the way, IGBINOBA is not short for Igbi n'Oba. It is the same spoken word written in different ways. ( Contrary to your previous claim)
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:08pm On May 13, 2020
gregyboy:

So tge author who weote was mad abi he just decided to favour benin

The author was actually discussing yoruba history ans not benin

The quoted does not prove anything or disprove the fact that yorubas might have adopted to thier
Political system
who was the author. When did yoruba adopt ogboni all over yoruba land into their system from said Benin. What year. If every author is to be believed why the Bleep are u arguing regarding eghraveba books or why the Bleep do u argue when i bring out British account which u always claim favor Yoruba. If the author believes ogboni was copied fine. What was his reason. What year was it copied. How was it copied. Ogboni is yoruba what u have in Benin is fake ogboni. Ogboni that cannot remove a king is that one ogboni.

3 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 3:09pm On May 13, 2020

In the precolonial era, Yoruba chiefs didn't refer to themselves as "Oba". Rather they referred to themselves as ooni, alafin...
In the colonial era Yoruba chiefs started naming themselves in the following manner: "ooni of ife, sir adeyemi", "alafin of oyo, sir adetoye"...
The "sir" is a word from English nobility which the yorubas borrowed from the British in order to add some prestige to their titles.

However, later in the colonial era, the Yoruba dropped the word "sir" and replaced it with the word "Oba", yet an other non Yoruba word.

The word Oba belongs to Benin empire, it is how Benin empire calls it's emperor as witnessed by European visitors in the middle ages.

2) emir from Fulani
1) Oba from Benin

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:15pm On May 13, 2020
Ghostwon65:

You seem hell bent on ignoring logics.
Once again, Oba is short for Omo n'Oba n'Edo !
there is no logic in that stop lying. U said igbinoba is short for igbi n’oba but just one word oba is short for omo n’oba n’edo. It’s like me saying A is short for adeleye. Once again this just proves that oba as a single word still doesn’t mean nothing in ur language.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 3:18pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:
U said igbinoba is short for igbi n’oba
When did I say that ? Show me the quote.
I repeat, it is the same spoken word spelled in two different manners.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:20pm On May 13, 2020
Ghostwon65:

2) emir from Fulani
1) Oba from Benin

ode Yoruba king are still called ooni aalafin and so many more. But the word oba is yoruba for king. 2nd of all yoruba didn’t copy emir. The only place with emir in Yoruba land is ilorin and the ruler is Fulani and also emir is not Fulani. The word oba doesn’t exist in Yoruba language so how can yoruba something that has a meaning in Yoruba language. The British also called ife king the ooni of ife. Doesn’t mean that his their real title. Oba is yoruba and has no meaning in edo and it has Been proving over and over again here despite u brothers having a thick skull.

3 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:
there is no logic in that stop lying. U said igbinoba is short for igbi n’oba but just one word oba is short for omo n’oba n’edo. It’s like me saying A is short for adeleye. Once again this just proves that oba as a single word still doesn’t mean nothing in ur language.
Let me help your comprehension: my name is Efosa.
It comes from Efe n'Osa, God's wealth.
And in short people call me Efe (from 3 words to one word, wow !)
Are you starting to understand shortening of words ?

Also it seems I have to remind you that Latin alphabet is not from our region, it was imported into our region by Europeans in the colonial era. You can very much consider Omo n'Oba n'Edo as a single word just like you can consider it to be five words.

I hope logics will sink into your empty skull this time.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:24pm On May 13, 2020
Ghostwon65:

When did I say that ? Show me the quote.
I repeat, it is the same spoken word spelled in two different manners.
same point. u are trying to say igbinogba can also be igbi n’oba and equating that to omon’oba n’edo. If anything it should be omonobanedo not just oba. Stop trying to be too clever.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:
ode Yoruba king are still called ooni aalafin and so many more. But the word oba is yoruba for king. 2nd of all yoruba didn’t copy emir. The only place with emir in Yoruba land is ilorin and the ruler is Fulani and also emir is not Fulani. The word oba doesn’t exist in Yoruba language so how can yoruba something that has a meaning in Yoruba language. The British also called ife king the ooni of ife. Doesn’t mean that his their real title. Oba is yoruba and has no meaning in edo and it has Been proving over and over again here despite u brothers having a thick skull.

I am guessing you are a teenager, you really have difficulties comprehending.
So let me apply pedagogy:

You claim the word Oba belongs to Yoruba, can you show proof ?
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 3:28pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:
same point. u are trying to say igbinogba can also be igbi n’oba and equating that to omon’oba n’edo. If anything it should be omonobanedo not just oba. Stop trying to be too clever.
where did I say IGBINOBA is short for Igbi n'Oba ?
Nobody stops you from writing Omonobanedo, also nobody stops you from shortening it to its most important part Oba.
I was showing you how Edo language mixes words.
You are assigning wrong meanings to my very clearly explained actions.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:

Reply: this is where I am actually showing a shortening of an Edo name:

Ghostwon65:

And in short people call me Efe from 3 words to one word, wow !)

Also it seems I have to remind you that Latin alphabet is not from our region, it was imported into our region by Europeans in the colonial era. You can very much consider Omo n'Oba n'Edo as a single word just like you can consider it to be five words.

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Amujale(m): 3:37pm On May 13, 2020
Ghostwon65:

Who started this thread?

Your intentionally making yourself sound disengenous.

Whoever started this thread is fooling themselves.

While other African countries are finding ways to tap into their history in order to make the world a better place, some stupid individuals attempt but fail to bastardise history.

They like to bastardise their own history and push a fake and false narrative that only assist to push the agenda of the colonialist.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Amujale(m): 3:41pm On May 13, 2020
Ghostwon65:

That isnt a claim, that is a matter of fact.

Definately.

Lets put this nonsense insult of yours to bed.

I dont want to hear you utter anything else about 'Oba' until you provide us with the etymology.

Provide us the etymology of the term 'Oba'.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 13, 2020
Amujale:

Who started this thread?

Your intentionally making yourself sound disengenous.

Whoever started this thread is fooling themselves.

While other African countries are finding ways to tap into their history in order to make the world a better place, some stupid individuals attempt but fail to bastardise history.

They like to bastardise their own history and push a fake and false narrative that only assist to push the agenda of the colonialist.

Who started this thread ? I have no idea. I reject Ogboni and they are a Yoruba thing which tried to infiltrate Benin in the colonial era.
The people who keep bastardizing history are your brothers. And you know it.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:41pm On May 13, 2020
Ghostwon65:

And in short people call me Efe from 3 words to one word, wow !)

Also it seems I have to remind you that Latin alphabet is not from our region, it was imported into our region by Europeans in the colonial era. You can very much consider Omo n'Oba n'Edo as a single word just like you can consider it to be six words.

i get ur logic or u think I don’t know how Africa names work regarding to shorting it. I just know u are trying to be Clever by half. Take Yoruba name adenike which means crown is cherished. Nike for short. If someone ask meaning of Nike and I say it’s cherished they will ask what is cherished. Then u say ade logic. But the name can’t be shortened to Ike which has no single meaning in Yoruba. for example Ur efe as a short name has a meaning which means wealth. Efe can stand as a single or short name cuz it has a meaning associated to it. like wise it has been established there is nothing called oba in ur language it has no meaning. even if u want to short the whole omo noba nedo the only short is noba. Which means shining. Nothing called oba so how can it stand alone. My guy stop lying here.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:42pm On May 13, 2020
Ghostwon65:

Who started this thread ? I have no idea. I reject Ogboni and they are a Yoruba thing which tried to infiltrate Benin in the colonial era.
The people who keep bastardizing history are your brothers. And you know it.
look below who started this thread before u keep crying. Na ur edo brother gregboy accusing Yoruba of stealing their identity. Na ur people dey make shit up stop lying.

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Amujale(m): 3:45pm On May 13, 2020
Ghostwon65:

Who started this thread ? I have no idea. ...

I have no interest in the topic.

According to the title of the thread, it holds the notion that a troubled Benin person started the thread.

I have many Benin friends, i can assure you that there arent many who carry these extremist views.

Ghostwon65:

That is what i was pointing out to you as being disengenous.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:
like wise it has been established there is nothing called oba in ur language it has no meaning.
And how exactly did you establish that ?

I will be making short sentences to you and focusing on some of your sentences because you are slow and I need to act as your teacher. Not as a person debating you. If not you will never understand.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:
look below who started this thread before u keep crying. Na ur edo brother gregboy accusing Yoruba of stealing their identity. Na ur people dey make shit up stop lying.
I never claimed ogboni was Edo, whomever made that claim was mistaking.
You see, contrary to you, I am honest.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:53pm On May 13, 2020
Ghostwon65:

I am guessing you are a teenager, you really have difficulties comprehending.
So let me apply pedagogy:

it’s not a claim but a fact. The etymology of oba in Yoruba is very clear with both ba and O. I know TA011 have schooled u repeatedly on that. Now apart from oba there is a certain Yoruba title also called otunba google the meaning. Every market around the king palace in Yoruba land is called oja oba. Those who are buried with the king in the past in oyo are called “abobaku.” When a king ascend the throne it said o ti joba. U need anymore proof.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 3:56pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:
it’s not a claim but a fact. The etymology of oba in Yoruba is very clear with both ba and O.
Actually, there is no such thing as west African etymology given that our ancestors didn't have an alphabet nor a written language.
So if that is the basis of your talk, then you have been debunked.
I am a high school maths teacher, I know pedagogy and I will teach you. You will finally be able to understand.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:58pm On May 13, 2020
Ghostwon65:

And how exactly did you establish that ?

I will be making short sentences to you and focusing on some of your sentences because you are slow and I need to act as your teacher. Not as a person debating you. If not you will never understand.
u are the one who is slow according to u and ur brothers there is nothing called oba in Benin rather it’s omo noba nedo. Which means the child that shines for edo. And they claimed n’oba means shining and oba is only a short for the whole stuff which u also claimed. Do u want me to bring a screenshot of their claim including urs. Oba as a single word have no meaning.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 4:00pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:
u are the one who is slow according to u and ur brothers there is nothing called oba in Benin rather it’s omo noba n'Edo
As I have already told you, Oba is short for Omo n'Oba n'Edo.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 13, 2020
Moneywomen17:
Which means the child that shines for edo.
Wow, I have never said that, don't put somebody else's words into my mouth.

When was the first year the word Oba was attached to a Yoruba chief.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 4:01pm On May 13, 2020
Ghostwon65:

Actually, there is no such thing as west African etymology given that our ancestors didn't have an alphabet nor a written language.
So if that is the basis of your talk, then you have been debunked.
I am a high school maths teacher, I know pedagogy and I will teach you. You will finally be able to understand.
ode math teacher wey no get sense chai. So Africans don’t know the meaning of their words until it was written down by Europeans. Who told u etymology has to do with writing things down. Do u even know the meaning of etymology. Let me help u.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 4:02pm On May 13, 2020
Ghostwon65:

Wow, I have never said that, don't put somebody else's words into my mouth.

When was the first year the word Oba was attached to a Yoruba chief.
what does omo noba nedo means according to u then

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (28) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Celebrates 1st Year On The Throne With Soyinka, Obasanjo, Others / Traditional Rulers Storm Anambra For Abolition Of Osu, Others / Ooni Of Ife Celebrates His 44th Birthday In Style (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.