Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,073 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship (25078 Views)

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 10:28pm On May 13, 2020
Amujale:

That is not the etymology.

Oba is the yoruba generic term for king.

I would'vr shown what an etymology, yet, in a way, the "decline of etymology as a linguistic discipline" is in itself the definition of etymology.

What you see isnt what you have saw, lets leave at that.

History will never remember you yorubas because you all always hide under the shadows of other people history and that's why history will always forget you all
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by babtoundey(m): 12:03am On May 14, 2020
gregyboy:

History will never remember you yorubas because you all always hide under the shadows of other people history and that's why history will always forget you all
You're are a clown.
Under the shadow of what...? Is that the reason why you try to popularise your fabrications by targeting some notable traditional institutions, religion, tradition, name and culture of Yorubas ancestry. They are under your shadow but you don't feel fulfilled until you amuse yourself with "Ogboni is not Yoruba", "Oduduwa is Edo", Oranmiyan never lived" "The Oba contrived with the Yorubas to sell us cheap". How many Yorubas have you seen jumping around Nairaland like a restive ghost creating threads on Edo subjects? If your history is still alive, if it is not buried under the shadow of another culture do you have to exert this energy to tell your history in this ridiculous way?
Everything you had are no longer identifiable with you because they were stolen from you. What were you doing when other were stealing from you and thriving with the sytem you claim you originated?

Ogboni belongs to you - you have no evidence to prove it does
You own the word "Oba" - Yet the word has no meaning in your lexicon (Or can I say my pen is an Oba too because it is red and it shines?)
Oba sold you cheap - nothing to prove it than undue and unfounded sentiments

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 2:19am On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:
shut up fool. U think am dumb like u. What does omo noba nedo means cuz it doesn’t mean any emperor. Omo child n’oba shining edo village. How does that mean emperor. Ole liar. Is the Benin sense.

Listen a true king have a full unabridged title. In the case of Oba of Benin it is “Omo N’Oba N’Edo”.. for example the Queen of England full title is “Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith”..
u wouldn’t understand because u guys don’t have the real concept of sovereign kings.

Do your kings choose a name to reign in upon ascending the throne?
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 5:33am On May 14, 2020
gregyboy:

I guess the whole of ondo state has more than 30 kings lets not include ekiti yet
dumbass. Why are u this dumb gregboy. So that’s ur source some random person came online and made a claim that all ondo was under Benin and we are supposed to agree with no fact to back it up. And even what u showed says under not that the monarch was derived from there u dumb illiterate. Was there something called ondo state In the past. Is it the olugbo or the deji or osemawe. List the name of the king in ondo that came from Benin like u claim and all the 30 in Yoruba land. Every king in modern ondo state except the ijaw King trace their ancestry to ife except one. So mention the king that came from Benin dumbass. Even the ijaw kings has nothin to do with Benin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 5:40am On May 14, 2020
gregyboy:

And the Europeans drew the oba on horse

And they are so many sculpture depicting horses in benin artwork
shut up esin is not a Benin word. Stop claiming what does not belong to u. It’s not even African so stop being a thief. Benin doesn’t have a horse culture. Just cuz ur king was drawn on a horse doesn’t mean shit. Oyo has an horse culture. Ijebu has an horse culture. Benin doesn’t.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 5:42am On May 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Stupid talk,

I won't derail this thread for this argument

You seem not to know the Yoruba history but you're ready to argue the ownership of oba

Tribal bigot
name the 30 kings it’s a simple question I know the Yoruba history more than u. If u know the 30 kings list them here. No long story. It only exist in ur imagination.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 5:46am On May 14, 2020
davidnazee:

Listen a true king have a full unabridged title. In the case of Oba of Benin it is “Omo N’Oba N’Edo”.. for example the Queen of England full title is “Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith”..
u wouldn’t understand because u guys don’t have the real concept of sovereign kings.

Do your kings choose a name to reign in upon ascending the throne?

shut up there with ur Benin sense. Her royal majesty “the queen” which signifies rule how does that correlate with edo bullshit that means “the child that shines for edo” how can a king be called a child in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 5:52am On May 14, 2020
babtoundey:

You're are a clown.
Under the shadow of what...? Is that the reason why you try to popularise your fabrications by targeting some notable traditional institutions, religion, tradition, name and culture of Yorubas ancestry. They are under your shadow but you don't feel fulfilled until you amuse yourself with "Ogboni is not Yoruba", "Oduduwa is Edo", Oranmiyan never lived" "The Oba contrived with the Yorubas to sell us cheap". How many Yorubas have you seen jumping around Nairaland like a restive ghost creating threads on Edo subjects? If your history is still alive, if it is not buried under the shadow of another culture do you have to exert this energy to tell your history in this ridiculous way?
Everything you had are no longer identifiable with you because they were stolen from you. What were you doing when other were stealing from you and thriving with the sytem you claim you originated?

Ogboni belongs to you - you have no evidence to prove it does
You own the word "Oba" - Yet the word has no meaning in your lexicon (Or can I say my pen is an Oba too because it is red and it shines?)
Oba sold you cheap - nothing to prove it than undue and unfounded sentiments
no mind that dumbass. History will never remember Yoruba coming from the forgotten tribe called Benin. Yoruba is known worldwide but Benin are getting lost and lost that people don’t know shit about them. When we are talking about giant Yoruba is one. Benin are unknown. Their only joy is getting reply’s from Yoruba on nairaland to feel relevant.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 8:23am On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:
shut up esin is not a Benin word. Stop claiming what does not belong to u. It’s not even African so stop being a thief. Benin doesn’t have a horse culture. Just cuz ur king was drawn on a horse doesn’t mean shit. Oyo has an horse culture. Ijebu has an horse culture. Benin doesn’t.

Oyo has a culture of horse i correct this earlier with an article that horse was introduced to oyo by hausas who acted as thier calvary during war
And benin deafted them even with thier hausa hired calvary not just them other tribes that benin encountered that made use of calvaries

Oga you dump fool

Horse is hisan in Arabic and the pronunciation is very different from the word esin

Horse could have come from the arabs but we the word esin was introduced to the yorubas by benins as long as we controlled ondo, ekiti, eko, ijesha

Our influence cannot be undermined amongst the yorubas our food Egusi and pounded is what eastern yorubas calls thier delicacy unlike the other yoruba that was influenced by oyo that regards amala and ewedu as it delicacy

If yorubas language is a mixture of both western and Eastern yorubas then our influence cant be undermined among Yorubas

I dont get it because you guys are now a majour tribe now you all want to rewrite our influence soon the red coral beads belonging to the benins and worn by yorubas and igbos would soon be debated by your generation as indigenous
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 11:37am On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:
shut up there with ur Benin sense. Her royal majesty “the queen” which signifies rule how does that correlate with edo bullshit that means “the child that shines for edo” how can a king be called a child in the first place.

Please don’t be dumb all the time. I just gave u an example of a full title and a short title but yet u are still confused. Like I said you won’t understand because u guys never had real sovereign kings.
“Omo N’Oba N’Edo Oba Ewuare II” is his full title and it actually means “King Ewuare the Second, King of all Edo and its vassal states (including Yorubalands) and beyond, protector of Edo.

In ordinary context or different vowels or consonants, omo noba n’edo will be translated as “the one (whose power and glory) illuminates all over Edo and beyond”..
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 12:00pm On May 14, 2020
There's nothing to be prideful about ogboni.

Just like a Yoruba man introduced cultism to nigeria so also ogboni

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 2:22pm On May 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Oyo has a culture of horse i correct this earlier with an article that horse was introduced to oyo by hausas who acted as thier calvary during war
And benin deafted them even with thier hausa hired calvary not just them other tribes that benin encountered that made use of calvaries

Oga you dump fool

Horse is hisan in Arabic and the pronunciation is very different from the word esin

Horse could have come from the arabs but we the word esin was introduced to the yorubas by benins as long as we controlled ondo, ekiti, eko, ijesha

Our influence cannot be undermined amongst the yorubas our food Egusi and pounded is what eastern yorubas calls thier delicacy unlike the other yoruba that was influenced by oyo that regards amala and ewedu as it delicacy

If yorubas language is a mixture of both western and Eastern yorubas then our influence cant be undermined among Yorubas

I dont get it because you guys are now a majour tribe now you all want to rewrite our influence soon the red coral beads belonging to the benins and worn by yorubas and igbos would soon be debated by your generation as indigenous

dumbass horse was not introduce to the Yoruba by Hausa rather nupe dumbass. Hausa were Slaves only in the old oyo. The word horse was gotten from Arabic just like wahala alubusa and esin. If anything if esin is Benin word for horse that means u only borrow the Yoruba pronunciation of it. Cuz Benin doesn’t have a horse culture. Egusi and iyan is not a Benin food just cuz western Yoruba like amala doesn’t mean shit. Benin republic Yoruba delicacy is neither amala either but oka. I know it’s hard for u to understand but when u are a huge ethnic group not just couple million there will be difference in cuisine. Itsekiri delicacy is not iyan and egusi why cuz I thought iyan was ur influence. U did not control ondo or ekiti especially ijesha and also ijesha and co do not have a horse culture. I hope u know who ogedengbe is. Yoruba introduce art to u and also coral beed is indigenous to Yoruba so u also didn’t introduce shit. There is more Yoruba influences on Benin than the other way around.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 2:25pm On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:
[s]horse was not introduce to the Yoruba by Hausa rather nupe dumbass. Hausa were Slaves only in the old oyo. The word horse was gotten from Arabic just like wahala alubusa and esin. If anything if esin is Benin word for horse that means u only borrow the Yoruba pronunciation of it. Cuz Benin doesn’t have a horse culture. Egusi and iyan is not a Benin food just cuz western Yoruba like amala doesn’t mean shit. Benin republic Yoruba delicacy is neither amala either but oka. I know it’s hard for u to understand but when u are a huge ethnic group not just couple million there will be difference in cuisine. Itsekiri delicacy is not iyan and egusi why cuz I thought iyan was ur influence. U did not control ondo or ekiti especially ijesha and also ijesha and co do not have a horse culture. I hope u know who ogedengbe is. Yoruba introduce art to u and also coral beed is indigenous to Yoruba so u also didn’t introduce shit. There is more Yoruba influences on Benin than the other way around[/s].

Bigot...... I wont be replying you again, because your bigotry is now overwhelming

Untill you correct this statement
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 2:26pm On May 14, 2020
Igbosmoker:
There's nothing to be prideful about ogboni.

Just like a Yoruba man introduced cultism to nigeria so also ogboni
ogboni was an arm of government in the old Yoruba kingdom. They are free born men with enormous power to check the power in the old oyo. We are not talking about the fake Ogboni. How did yoruba introduce cultism to Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 2:28pm On May 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Bigot...... I wont replying you again, because your bigotry is now overwhelming

Untill you correct this statement
dumbass stop lying cuz no one is ready to stand for ur lie here dumbass. Why don’t u run along and open more thread filled with lies about how yoruba stole this and that from u. And how u control imaginary places.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:
ogboni was an arm of government in the old Yoruba kingdom. They are free born men with enormous power to check the power in the old oyo. We are not talking about the fake Ogboni. How did yoruba introduce cultism to Nigeria.
wole soyinka
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 2:34pm On May 14, 2020
davidnazee:

Please don’t be dumb all the time. I just gave u an example of a full title and a short title but yet u are still confused. Like I said you won’t understand because u guys never had real sovereign kings.
“Omo N’Oba N’Edo Oba Ewuare II” is his full title and it actually means “King Ewuare the Second, King of all Edo and its vassal states (including Yorubalands) and beyond, protector of Edo.

In ordinary context or different vowels or consonants, omo noba n’edo will be translated as “the one (whose power and glory) illuminates all over Edo and beyond”..

give it up guy it’s really embarrassing now. Never had sovereign kings but oyo was an empire. With control over Dahomey, allada, nupe and the mahin. Ur lies is too much that’s why u can’t stick to one meaning of oba in ur language from it doesn’t exist in edo language to it means the one that shines for edo people to it means the emperor of the benin kingdom. now it means “the one whose power and glory illuminates all over edo and beyond.” Smh which one is it.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 2:34pm On May 14, 2020
Igbosmoker:
wole soyinka
how did he introduce cultism to Nigeria tell us.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 2:37pm On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:
dumbass horse was not introduce to the Yoruba by Hausa rather nupe dumbass. Hausa were Slaves only in the old oyo. The word horse was gotten from Arabic just like wahala alubusa and esin. If anything if esin is Benin word for horse that means u only borrow the Yoruba pronunciation of it. Cuz Benin doesn’t have a horse culture. Egusi and iyan is not a Benin food just cuz western Yoruba like amala doesn’t mean shit. Benin republic Yoruba delicacy is neither amala either but oka. I know it’s hard for u to understand but when u are a huge ethnic group not just couple million there will be difference in cuisine. Itsekiri delicacy is not iyan and egusi why cuz I thought iyan was ur influence. U did not control ondo or ekiti especially ijesha and also ijesha and co do not have a horse culture. I hope u know who ogedengbe is. Yoruba introduce art to u and also coral beed is indigenous to Yoruba so u also didn’t introduce shit. There is more Yoruba influences on Benin than the other way around.

What is your point here? What is horse culture? If we don’t breed horses in large numbers doesn’t mean we don’t know what it is. I don’t think the climate here is conducive for horses.
You lost your other arguments now u have started with horses lol. U can keep the horses Edo don’t have need for it.

Edo was known for Ivory culture but we are not bragging about it.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 2:39pm On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:
how did he introduce cultism to Nigeria tell us.
Google the history of cultism in nigeria
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 2:40pm On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:

Nigga you're a Yoruba bigot

You're youre not here to defend yoruba put pride on lies.....

I pity the others who will take you serious if you could open your mouth and say benin never influenced yorubas then your case is sorry....
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 2:41pm On May 14, 2020
Igbosmoker:
Google the history of cultism in nigeria
dumbass how did he introduce in Nigeria is what I asked. I though u had the answer.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 2:43pm On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:
dumbass how did he introduce in Nigeria is what I asked. I though u had the answer.
see this boy! You are calling me dumb? I'm trying to educate you.

If you don't have data tell me
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 2:44pm On May 14, 2020
davidnazee:

What is your point here? What is horse culture? If we don’t breed horses in large numbers doesn’t mean we don’t know what it is. I don’t think the climate here is conducive for horses.
You lost your other arguments now u have started with horses lol. U can keep the horses Edo don’t have need for it.

Edo was known for Ivory culture but we are not bragging about it.
dumbass what other argument was lost. The dumbass Gregboy was the one that started with horses and I had to set him straight. That u don’t know what horse culture mean exactly that u don’t have one. The Ibadan,Ijebu has an horse culture. Any ojude oba go and see man and woman children riding horses everywhere. Ilorin has an horse culture and also the Hausas. What is ivory culture.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 2:45pm On May 14, 2020
Igbosmoker:
see this boy! You are calling me dumb? I'm trying to educate you.

If you don't have data tell me
dumbass I don’t use data. I use WiFi it’s kinda unlimited.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by lawani: 2:46pm On May 14, 2020
gregyboy:

I pity the others who will take you serious if you could open your mouth and say benin never influenced yorubas then your case is sorry....
the Benin that influenced eastern Yoruba were Yoruba speaking Benin not the edo.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:
dumbass I don’t use data. I use WiFi it’s kinda unlimited.
then use it to study the history of cultism in Nigeria. Google the name of the first founder and his aim when he founded it. Google what led to this current evil form of cultism. Google the branches of cults that was created later.

Fool
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 2:47pm On May 14, 2020
gregyboy:

how am I a bigot dumbass. U are the one lying here claiming the ijesha king came from Benin with no fucking proof. When did I say there is no Benin influences in Yoruba land. Can u point that out. What I said was there is more Yoruba influence on Benin than other way around.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 2:51pm On May 14, 2020
Igbosmoker:
then use it to study the history of cultism in Nigeria. Google the name of the first founder and his aim when he founded it. Google what led to this current evil form of cultism. Google the branches of cults that was created later.

Fool
dumbass answer the question how did wole Soyinka started cultism. Cuz what he started was fraternity. Fraternities are everywhere in America colleges. Pyrate fraternity founded by wole Soyinka to fight for human rights and social justice in Nigeria and to protest against the government. A noble cause. So tell me again how exactly did he start cultism in Nigeria with actual proof. Was it wole fault that most Nigerians are barbaric.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 2:58pm On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:
no mind that dumbass. History will never remember Yoruba coming from the forgotten tribe called Benin. Yoruba is known worldwide but Benin are getting lost and lost that people don’t know shit about them. When we are talking about giant Yoruba is one. Benin are unknown. Their only joy is getting reply’s from Yoruba on nairaland to feel relevant.

Feel relevant were......

We are already relevant dumbass

Your ooni in the past held the benin ceremonial sword

A country is name after us.... Benin republic
We have three universities in africa having the name university of benin

*university of benin, benin city nigeria
University of benin, benin rep
University of benin, togo name after the benin empire

The yorubas bore the name oba as a generality for thier kingship title in other to raise thier monarchial prestige to the word while discarding thier original title olu, kaybeysi, deji

I wont go further on this, lets leave it here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 2:59pm On May 14, 2020
Moneywomen17:
how am I a bigot dumbass. U are the one lying here claiming the ijesha king came from Benin with no fucking proof. When did I say there is no Benin influences in Yoruba land. Can u point that out. What I said was there is more Yoruba influence on Benin than other way around.

Who brought the influence young man to benin
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 3:07pm On May 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Feel relevant were......

We are already relevant dumbass

Your ooni in the past held the benin ceremonial sword

A country is name after us.... Benin republic
We have three universities in africa having the name university of benin

*university of benin, benin city nigeria
University of benin, benin rep
University of benin, togo name after the benin empire

The yorubas bore the name oba as a generality for thier kingship title in other to raise thier monarchial prestige to the word while discarding thier original title olu, kaybeysi, deji

I wont go further on this, lets leave it here
shut up dumbass which ooni hold Benin ceremonial sword. The sword(ida) is yoruba not Benin. The word oba belongs to yoruba which means king while yours was ogie. U merely borrow oba into ur title from Yoruba that’s why u don’t know the meaning. All Yoruba kings are still kaybiesi, last time I check the deji of akure is still called deji.so tell me what was discarded. So university na source of pride small Benin.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (28) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Celebrates 1st Year On The Throne With Soyinka, Obasanjo, Others / Traditional Rulers Storm Anambra For Abolition Of Osu, Others / Ooni Of Ife Celebrates His 44th Birthday In Style (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.