Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship (25091 Views)

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 5:00pm On May 10, 2020
TAO11:

"Uwa" in Yoruba means power, glory, grandeur, honour, etc.

What does it mean in ther language?

Perhaps similar meanings.

"Ade" means crown in Yoruba language.

It probably means the same thing in their language.

But when it comes to Oba

"Oba" means king in Yoruba language.

But in Edo language, "Oba" means "shine-shine" even though it's only their king who is so addressed.

Isn't the inferiority complex obvious??
thanks for the interpretation. With that said I wonder what it means in edo language. Edo said there is nothing called oba that it is omo noba nedo. The child that shine. First of all a ridiculous title second of all who was this first child. How can u call a king a child. Now all of a sudden oba has meaning again and the meaning is shining. Which one should we believe. So does it mean their king is called “shinning ewuare” how does that relate to a king.

3 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 5:02pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

Then why is Sijuade addressed as Oba Sijuade or Ogunwusi addressed as Oba Ogunwusi? they should have been addressed as Ooni Sijuade or Ooni Ogunwusi and not Oba..
cuz the Ooni is a king(oba) so why won’t people call him that.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 5:03pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

It doesn;t make sense to you because you have no sense to conprehend it..
what’s there to comprehend ur king is “shining ewuare” great got it

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 5:13pm On May 10, 2020
TAO11:

"Uwa" in Yoruba means power, glory, grandeur, honour, etc.

What does it mean in ther language?

Perhaps similar meanings.

"Ade" means crown in Yoruba language.

It probably means the same thing in their language.

But when it comes to Oba

"Oba" means king in Yoruba language.

But in Edo language, "Oba" means "shine-shine" even though it's only their king who is so addressed.

Isn't the inferiority complex obvious??

You guys are really dumb. When will u understand that Oba in Yoruba means ruler but not king. Your rulers are called Ooni, Alafin, alake, etc.
In English, ruler and king are different words but used in relation to each other.
Oba means ruler in Yoruba.. it’s never meant king only in Benin it meant king.
In the Yoruba contest is like calling Ogunwusi “Ruler Ogunwusi”.

The Edo word for ruler is Ogie.. word for king is Oba.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by lawani: 5:14pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

Then why is Sijuade addressed as Oba Sijuade or Ogunwusi addressed as Oba Ogunwusi? they should have been addressed as Ooni Sijuade or Ooni Ogunwusi and not Oba..
oba sijuade was the ooni of ife that is how it is. The oba of ife is the ooni. I hope you understand.

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 5:18pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

You guys are really dumb. When will u understand that Oba in Yoruba means ruler but not king. Your rulers are called Ooni, Alafin, alake, etc.
In English, ruler and king are different words but used in relation to each other.
oh boy u have already start lying again oba means king in Yoruba and according to u it means shining in edo. It doesn’t mean king in Benin and there is nothing even called oba in Benin according to u and ur brethren. It’s omo noba nedo. Ole when to run � and claim something different when he realize that all evidence point to Yoruba having the world oba. Chai TA011 come and see ur boys

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 5:19pm On May 10, 2020
lawani:
oba sijuade was the ooni of ife that is how it is. The oba of ife is the ooni. I hope you understand.
the boy doesn’t know what he is talking about he is a liar.

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 5:19pm On May 10, 2020
Moneywomen17:
if there was no connection how then did we borrowed the word oba from u. Why does ur oba claim his ancestors came from Ife. Why does he say he is number 40 king cuz oranmiyan was number cuz I don’t seem to remember Yoruba putting a gun to his head to say it. Why does ur edo son egrhaveba who wrote a book where his source according to him is the king and chiefs and lot of prominent families in edo wrote that ur king head is buried in ife and ur king came from ife. Cuz last time I checked those people are not Yoruba.

To cut the story short all was for political stunt

eweka11 was the one who said eweka1 came from ife....
You see the fabrication

Ok make it simple our king, oba eweka wanted the benins to join the political party called yorubas to aviod been a minority but things went south when yorubas began tribalism to we edos

Nigga i still want you to find ife, or oromiyan from benin old text document recorded by European or any relationship between benin-ife or benin-oyo

Yoruba have thousands of history having different narrative do you expect me to believe one or all

Samuel johson wrote that benin came directly from Oduduwa, oromiyan was the younger brother to the oba of benin and oromiyan war quest was all in the north and he never ventured to benin... 1897 narrative

But your says oromiyan birthed oba of benin and called igodomigodo people lle ibinu

I cant just pick the one that suit you and believe

So to make this easier i told you to prove benin-ife connection first

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 5:21pm On May 10, 2020
davidnazee:

The Edo word for ruler is Ogie.. word for king is Oba.
Cc:TA011 according to the new story now from davidnaze oba now means king while ogie is ruler in edo. Am done

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 5:24pm On May 10, 2020
gregyboy:

To cut the story short all was for political stunt

eweka11 was the one who said ewka1 came from ife....

Ok make it simple our oba, oba eweka wanted the benins to join the political part calked yorubas to aviod been a minority but things got sour when yorubas began tribalism we edos

Nigga i still want you to find ife or oromiyan from benin old text recorded by oromiyan or any relationship between benin-ife or benin-oyo

Yoruba have 1000 of different history having different narrative do you expect me to believe one or all

Samuel johson wrote that benin came directly from Oduduwa, oromiyan was the younger brother to the oba of benin and oromiyan wat quest was all in the north and he never ventured to benin

But your says oromiyan birthed oba of benin and called igodomigodo people lle ibinu

I cant just pick the one that suit you and believe

So to make this easier i told you to prove benin-ife connection first
dumbass do u have any prove that ur oba lied and for political reason. And there was no political party called Yoruba. There were many tribes like uhrobo, ijaw and co in the western region. Why didn’t they lie too about connection to yoruba. If he did lie cuz of western region there is no more western region so why is ur current king still lying.

3 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 5:30pm On May 10, 2020
Moneywomen17:
dumbass do u have any prove that ur oba lied and for political reason. And there was no political party called Yoruba. There were many tribes like uhrobo, ijaw and co. Why didn’t they lie too about connection to yoruba. If he did lie cuz of western region there is no more western region so why is ur current king still lying.

Dump boy benin influence covered them they are direct descendants if benin so if oba happen to be yoruba all of them automatically were youba

And the oba of benin was the one representing them

Dump ass

I never said Oduduwa political party i said political canopy mumu
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Moneywomen17(m): 5:39pm On May 10, 2020
gregyboy:

Dump boy benin influence covered them they are direct descendants if benin so if oba happen to be yoruba all of them automatically were youba

And the oba of benin was the one representing them

Dump ass

I never said Oduduwa political party i said political canopy mumu
dumbass stop lying ijaw doesn’t acknowledge Benin whatsoever. So if ur king wax the one that lied and till today he still continued the same lie. His is that Yoruba fault. Ur king was licking Yoruba ass on his own and still doing the same thing till today. It’s either ur king are the greatest ass lickers of all time or he is telling the truth. Either way respect ur king and bow to ur Yoruba ruler.

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 5:53pm On May 10, 2020
Moneywomen17:
dumbass stop lying ijaw doesn’t acknowledge Benin whatsoever. So if ur king wax the one that lied and till today he still continued the same lie. His is that Yoruba fault. Ur king was licking Yoruba ass on his own and still doing the same thing till today. It’s either ur king are the greatest ass lickers of all time or he is telling the truth. Either way respect ur king and bow to ur Yoruba ruler.

I will be going off

For sometime i will be checking if you found my answer....
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 5:54pm On May 10, 2020
TAO11:
Guess what I found on closer inquiry of their language.

I found that their language is also tonal like Yoruba language.

In other words, a group of letters have a particular meaning applying a certain tone.

But the same group of letters have an entirely different meaning applying a different tone.

E.g., Ọbẹ̀ ---> Soup ... and ... Ọ̀be ---> Knife.

In a similar way, I found that the Edo word which they've been yapping about to mean "Shine" or "Red" is not even pronounced the same way as the word "Oba" which they use for their rulers.

The Edo word for "Shine"/"Red" is entirely different in pronunciation (and hence in meaning) from the word for "king".

Ther root word for "Shine" and "Red" has an actual cognate in Yoruba language --- and this will expose their hypocrisy in a moment. cheesy

The "red pap" that we Yoruba take is called .... "Ogi ba" or "Ogi ba-ba".

The same Yoruba cognate for that particular shade of color red is also seen in the name of "Oka ba-ba" ---> "Red sorghum".

Now paying attention to the intonation/pronunciation of the root of this word shows clearly that it is completely dufferent from the root of the one for "King"

For "Red Sorghum" the root is "Bà" (with the intonation/pronounciation "do")

But for "King" (from: reign-supreme, preside, etc) the root is Ba (with the intonation/pronounciation "re.

These are two clearly distinct pronounciations --> hence two clearly distinct words --> hence two clearly distinct meanings.

Thus, when they describe their 2nd dynasty rulers by the royal title "Omo N'Oba N'Edo", the word "N'Oba" here refers to the root "Bà" (with the intonation/pronounciation "do" --- that is from "red"/"shine".

But when they call their 2nd dynasty rulers "Ọba" (with the same intonation re-re which we repeatedly hear from them just as the Yorubas do), they therefore refer to another distinct word with merely coincidentally same letters.

It is this distinctly different word ""Ọba" (with the intonation re-re) that is completely absent from their language.

It is pronounced differently, and it comes from the root "Ba" (tone: re) meaning "to reign-supreme", "to preside", "to rule", etc.

The other root "Ba" (tone: do) is also found in Yoruba labguage and it refers to a specifix shade of red as already demonstrated.

It is this particular one they have in their language which means "red", "shine", etc. It is seen is their royal title "Omo N'Oba N'Edo" ---> meaning: "The child who shines for Edo".

So for Ife we see adreess of the royal title and the word "King" following each other side by side as follows:

Ooni Ife, Ọba Adeyeye Ogunwusi. ---> The one who owns Ife, ...

For Oyo we see adreess of the royal title and the word "King" following each other side by side as follows:

Alaafin Oyo, Ọba Lamidi Adeyemi. ---> The sovereign of the palace at Oyo, ...

For Benin we see adreess of the royal title and the word "King" following each other side by side as follows:

Omo N'Oba N'Edo, Ọba Ewuare ---> The child who shines for Edo.

The word "Ọba" being a different word from the Benin root for "shine", "red" (as explained) is therefore not derived from "N'Oba" which obviously comes a different root.

They want to deceive others to beleive that their use of the word "Ọba" comes from the word "N'Oba". That's a devilish lie that should be rejected outrightly. They themselves know that the two words comes from dufferent pronunciation, hence different meaning.

One is their indigenous word, the other(i.e Ọba) is a different word alien to their lexicon.

Notice that royal titles (whether for Ife, Oyo, or Benin, etc.) always goes with the Kingdom and they have nothing to do particularly and literally with word "Ọba" which simply means "King".

See again: Ooni Ife, Alaafin Oyo, Awujale Ijebu, Alake Egba, Olu Ilaro, Olu Eko, Omo N'Oba N'Edo, etc.

Cheers:

cc: Moneywomen17, illicit

Oba does not mean king in Yoruba language.. it means ruler not king.
A baale is an oba (ruler) but not a king.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by illicit(m): 5:58pm On May 10, 2020
TAO11:

I am still waitin for the difference between "King" and "Ruler".
free the guy abeg. he is obviously very adamant.
btw you did a very good job on the expose above.

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by AreaFada2: 6:03pm On May 10, 2020
illicit:

A linguist is a linguist. institution doesn't matter here, we read the same books and the methods are the same. FYI from UNILORIN.
Language is the best source of history FYI.
You are talking about Napoleon and original languages, can you tell me the first language spoken on Earth? I may tell you about Nimrod and how languages began and spread .

Take it or leave it, Benin kingdom is later than Ife or Oyo kingdom, the evidences are plethora.
Read my old posts about what I said about linguistics and philology as I was growing up. So you do not think I am just making up now.
I know you guys also claim Lamudi or is it Lamudu as your ancestor. grin

I know inferiority makes some Africans import themselves from the Middle East even after science has shown that mankind came out of Africa. cheesy
My mention of original languages is that you can never get the true original context in an original language as in a translated work. anyone who reads widely in various languages would know that.
Linguistics is not same everywhere. Only in Nigeria have I seen linguistics students who did it because that was all they were offered after Jamb. No interest whatsoever in Language in any way.

It's the only place where I have seen many linguists who made no effort to be proficient in a second foreign language. They are always quick to say linguistics is not about languages. Just an excuse of course. grin

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by illicit(m): 6:08pm On May 10, 2020
AreaFada2:

Read my old posts about what I said about linguistics and philology as I was growing up. So you do not think I am just making up now.
I know you guys also claim Lamudi or is it Lamudu as your ancestor. grin

I know inferiority makes some Africans import themselves from the Middle East even after science has shown that mankind came out of Africa. cheesy
My mention of original languages is that you can never get the true original context in an original language as in a translated work. anyone who reads widely in various languages would know that.
Linguistics is not same everywhere. Only in Nigeria have I seen linguistics students who did it because that was all they were offered after Jamb. No interest whatsoever in Language in any way.

It's the only place where I have seen many linguists who made no effort to be proficient in a second foreign language. They are always quick to say linguistics is not about languages. Just an excuse of course. grin

well you haven't met me and I haven't told you that linguistics which I studied for four good years is not about languages. linguistics is about languages and will remain so for ever and ever. Amen.

A polyglot is someone speaking many languages, linguists have no such primary interest, Linguistics is simply the study of languages and nothing more.

there is a wide difference between studying languages and learning languages.
Linguistics is the same everywhere.

I can tell you that.

2 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 6:19pm On May 10, 2020
TAO11:

You are a capital letter mumu.

Dummy, how does "King" contrast with "Ruler" in English ??

Moreover, you keep contradiction your own people who have damaged your Bini narrative by insisting that "Oba" for you Binis have absolutely no meaning around "King", "Ruler", "Monarch", etc.

They insist it simply means "shine-shine" --- no more, no less.

Idiot king and ruler are different words. A president, mayor, duke, are all rulers but not kings.
Oba may mean ruler in Yoruba but it doesn’t mean king.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 6:22pm On May 10, 2020
TAO11:

I am still waiting for the difference between "King" and "Ruler". cheesy

Mind you, your people have already busted everyehere by timidly asserting that for the Edoa, Oba has absolutely no meaning around Ruler, King, Monarch, etc.

They insist that it simply means "shine-shine"

[b]Yes, a baale may be an Oba (King) in Edoland if you insist. [/b] cheesy

Idiot If u like edit my words...

If u don’t know the difference between king and ruler that’s ur problem.
You don’t have a particular word for king. Oba in Yoruba translation will also mean Buhari is Oba.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by AreaFada2: 6:28pm On May 10, 2020
illicit:

well you haven't met me and I haven't told you that linguistics which I studied for four good years is not about languages. linguistics is about languages and will remain so for ever and ever. Amen.

A polyglot is someone speaking many languages, linguists have no such primary interest, Linguistics is simply the study of languages and nothing more.

there is a wide difference between studying languages and learning languages.
Linguistics is the same everywhere.

I can tell you that.
Nothing to tell me about linguistics. I grew up in a federal university environment. I have seen linguists across several countries. I just told you the usual excuse of Nigerian ones that you never hear from others. A widespread excuse.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 6:36pm On May 10, 2020
TAO11:

I'm stull waiting for you to show the etymology of the English word "King", and how it differs from the etymology of the English word "Ruler".

More people than before will see you as a ruler if you dont do this.

"Oba" in Yoruba language means "King" as their etymology is essentially the same.

But according to your own people and your supposed language, "Oba" means shine-shine.

Nothing even remotely close to ruler or king or monarch, etc.

Also, I agree that Baale is an Oba (King) in Edoland.

Don’t run away from the topic..
the styling of Oba titles for kings began with Edo. Yoruba copied it.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by illicit(m): 6:44pm On May 10, 2020
AreaFada2:

Nothing to tell me about linguistics. I grew up in a federal university environment. I have seen linguists across several countries. I just told you the usual excuse of Nigerian ones that you never hear from others. A widespread excuse.

I am sure I can tell you a lot more

2 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by lawani: 8:14pm On May 10, 2020
Moneywomen17:
oh boy u have already start lying again oba means king in Yoruba and according to u it means shining in edo. It doesn’t mean king in Benin and there is nothing even called oba in Benin according to u and ur brethren. It’s omo noba nedo. Ole when to run � and claim something different when he realize that all evidence point to Yoruba having the world oba. Chai TA011 come and see ur boys
omonobanedo in Yoruba means the child is king in edo.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by lawani: 8:33pm On May 10, 2020
TAO11:

That is if we assume that they have the word "oba" in their language.

They don't have the word "oba" in their language.

The word they have is similar in appearance but totally different in meaning.

Their own word in that phrase is "n'oba".

It means "that which shines".

It comes from the Edo root word "Bà" which signifies: "Red"/"Shine" --- just as it is seen in the Yoruba word "Oka Bà" ---> "Red Sorghum".

The tone for this "Bà" (i.e. do) in "Red" is clearly different from the tone for the "Ba" (i.e. re) in "King".

While they have the one for red in their language, they don't have the one for "King" in their language.

The one for "King" is loaned from Yoruba into their language. They don't have it originally. What they have originality is the one for "red" (which Yoruba language too has originally).

So when they say: "Omo N'Oba N'Edo", they mean: "The child who shines for Edo" (their language)

But when they address any of their kings as "Oba", they are borrowing a word from a foreign language (Yoruba language) which means "King".

I hope I was able to do some clarification.
i am assuming the phrase is Yoruba not edo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Celebrates His 44th Birthday In Style (photos) / Oluwo Tells Osun Obas They Can't Suspend Him / Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.