Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,742 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? (26513 Views)

Can I Postpone My Tithe Till Next Payment? / "I Just Increased My Tithe To 30 Percent, Satan Go And Die" - Apostle Suleman. / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by Exc2000: 11:59am On May 17, 2020
omonnakoda:

Why this Abraham account is faulty

Tithe is 10% of AGRICULTURAL products.
What Abraham gave was
not AGRICULTURAL products
Not Abraham's property

Some bandits came and looted the property of his Nephew.
Abraham took up arms and recovered the property.
He gave 10 % to Mechilzedek but he
DID NOT KEEP A PIN OF THE REST FOR HIMSELF.
Why not follow that practice too.?

There is no account anywhere of Abraham giving his OWN PROPERTY as tithes

Mechilzedek was a priest and A KING. The share he took cannot be claimed to be tithe but a share of the spoils of war
Did he receive because he was a king or a priest?
This was a common practice in the region just like owo omo onile ,money claimed by force

There is no where it is stated that Abraham did this because he was commanded to do this or that any of his sons did it after he died.
So if there was no command it is being assumed that it is necessary because Abraham did it

BUT

There are many OTHER things Abraham did
He married 3 wives
Circumcised his children
Sacrificed animals to Jehovah

Why not follow this too?

in relating what you said to this thread... Abraham (a prophet of God, and Father of faith, and prophet of 3 most common religion we have today) gave in your own words 10 percent (one tenth or tithe) of looted and recovered properties to a Priest whether Royal or not in celebration of victory God gave him.. [/b] Mosses [/b] (a major prophet of God, and second mortal to catch a glimpse of god and speak to him) gave his ten percent to the "house of God"

so if the O.P wants to stop giving tithe because he feels Jesus sacrifice is enough to end ways of the old testament, then its his choice, but if he has to give tithe he had better do so as the true prophet of God did

Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by nomenclature(m): 12:04pm On May 17, 2020
Thief
Oluromantic:
Malachi 3:10 answers it all. It says all the full tight should be taken to the house of the Lord. You can give your sister money, gifts etc but ur full tithe is not negotiable

1 Like

Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by pawesome(m): 12:05pm On May 17, 2020
Mavrick2012:

Sir, you didn't say anything about Deuteronomy 26:12.
leave him joh...the most at times use the Bible verse that suites dem

1 Like

Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by pawesome(m): 12:06pm On May 17, 2020
Oluromantic:
Malachi 3:10 answers it all. It says all the full tight should be taken to the house of the Lord. You can give your sister money, gifts etc but ur full tithe is not negotiable
so Deuteronomy didn't answer it all...big thief

1 Like

Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by desiredhome: 12:08pm On May 17, 2020
Geesaintagape:
Why are Nigerians these bad?
Only in Africa (Nigeria) u hear things like pay ur tithe.
I worshiped in Canada for 2yrs I never heard any message concerning tithe but I heard things like pay ur tax every days.
What's the problem with Nigerian xtianity
The problem with Nigerian Christians are:
1 poverty
2 fear
3 ignorant
4 lack of self-confidence
5 slave mentality
6 laziness
Etc

3 Likes

Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by Mavrick2012: 12:11pm On May 17, 2020
rollandben:
My brother, This Deut 14:22...Its an alternative verses of paying your tithe, please Try and read Mal verses before you start misleading poeple.
He quoted several verses, you quoted non.
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by rhames(m): 12:14pm On May 17, 2020
Mavrick2012:
A friend just showed this scripture to me:

"Give a tenth of your products, to the levite, strangers, fatherless and widows, so they will have what to eat while in your land".

Can i begin to give a portion of my tithe to my widowed sister?

Give the whole thing to her.
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by omojeesu(m): 12:16pm On May 17, 2020
Mavrick2012:

"Give a tenth of your products, to the levite, strangers, fatherless and widows, so they will have what to eat while in your land".

Are Christians supposed to be paying tithe?
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by madridsta007(m): 12:18pm On May 17, 2020
Mavrick2012:

Do what you want to do. I am sure you are matured enough- over 18.
No one asides YOURSELF will enjoy the blessings or the adverse consequences of your decision, so why should you bother people here?
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by wasi9ice: 12:19pm On May 17, 2020
Does it determine your salvation??

Some people can still pay tithes and end up in hell

Giving is good ,Jesus said if you give to the needy ,you have given to Him.

It is still important you bring part of your resources to the house of God so God's work can go on where finance is required.

Conscience is a judgemental device inbuilt in man, let it therefore guild you into all things.

Shalom
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by EmmyDJourno: 12:19pm On May 17, 2020
Mavrick2012:
but, the same God said we can give tithe to widows.

Why do u sound confused grin
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by desiredhome: 12:19pm On May 17, 2020
omonnakoda:

Yes convert it and

What were you supposed to do with the cash?

It is dishonest to quote scripture in half

Please tell us

Yes you are coming from a far place so convert to cash

Then when you arrive at the destination

WHAT IS THE COMMAND?

Tell us

Be honest

They threaten you with Mal 3:10 every Sunday that you are rubbing God when you don't pay your tithe yet they are the main rubbers for eating the tithe of the poor.......

1 Like

Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by Emmaxx: 12:20pm On May 17, 2020
tope777:
Pay your tithe as you're lead by holy spirit.
If your spirit direct you to pay to church, do it cheerfully.
If your spirit also direct you to pay to needy/orphan/fatherless or widows, do it cheerfully too.
Most important thing I believe is that, do not eat your 10%, let it be your financial Spiritual Insurance.

Shalom.
So 10% is your "financial Spiritual Insurance"?. I hear o. Christ Jesus is both my assurance and insurance. He's my everything not " %10".
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by emerged01(m): 12:23pm On May 17, 2020
Oluromantic:
If you say Malachi has answered it all, mention where it was commanded to tithe by Jesus.
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by caleboxylic: 12:24pm On May 17, 2020
donchibe:
Deuteronomy 26:12 Amplified Bible (AMP)
12 “When you have finished [a]paying all the tithe of your produce the third year, [which is] the year of tithing, then you shall give it to the Levite, to the stranger, to the orphan, and to the widow, so that they may eat within the gates of your cities and be satisfied.
There are two tithe here,
1, tithe commanded by God-This one most go to God not negotiable.
2, tithe given to the poor after you most have done the former. is more like alms-giving.

Which tithe must go to God? That's how you business men deceive your followers and not followers of Christ.
The first and second year of your tithe is for your consumption in the house of God and not to be given to yours pastors or God. God doesn't need that useless paper.

The third one is for poor and less privileged without forgetting the priest

You practice tithing to always be conscious of the fact that every goodies come from God.

Finally, in all the verses where tithes are mentioned, you have power over the tithe and not this modern preaching of pastors/guy men keeping your tithe.

1 Like

Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by EmmyDJourno: 12:25pm On May 17, 2020
desiredhome:

Paying money in any form to a church that doesn't care if you exist is foolishness...
if they care for you they will not build schools that you can't send your children to or build estates with your money while many in the church are hungry and homeless...

How does widows or the less previleged thank God because of your tithe?

What then is the work of God if it doesn't affect the life of the needy even in the church?

You are not paying to the Church, the Church is just a physical institution for you to show your appreciation to God who provided for you

Every hungry person with no one to assist them look up to God, so when you use what God has given u to raise their hope you play ur part in God's work and open yourself to the goodwill from heaven
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by desiredhome: 12:29pm On May 17, 2020
osaweseforme:
Most Christians don't read their BIBLE that is the problem. They should read NEHEMIAH 13 and they will get the message for those of which MALACHI 3 was referring to

The Papa say sheeple don't read the Bible.....all they know is Papa say, in Papa's book...., Read Papa's book, you must buy Papa's book, buy Papa's book of the month....... grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by iamkneeyi: 12:35pm On May 17, 2020
Mavrick2012:

Tithe is useless under the New testament...you are not suppose to tithe under the new testament...but do free will giving..

1 Like

Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 17, 2020
Mavrick2012:

you should have been paying it to them(widows, the poor) all these while,remember God dissolved the so called leviteshood in the Bible,something your pastors wouldn't tell you.....
pay your offerings to church but pay your tithes to the poor and the widows..
me no go even pay a dime for church,all na to help people..
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by 12inchess: 12:44pm On May 17, 2020
Nowadays your tithe doesnt go into storehouse for the needy. It goes into private jet and benz for daddy G. O. Rather than give the money to churches that mismanaged it, I'd give my tithe to the poor directly. In Nigeria they even scare the widows to pay money to the church. These are people that should actually be receiving from the church.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by YahwehRocks: 12:45pm On May 17, 2020
Oluromantic:

Give it all to your widowed sister.
Your pastors are no Levites.
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by desiredhome: 12:48pm On May 17, 2020
EmmyDJourno:

You are not paying to the Church, the Church is just a physical institution for you to show your appreciation to God who provided for you

Every hungry person with no one to assist them look up to God, so when you use what God has given u to raise their hope you play ur part in God's work and open yourself to the goodwill from heaven

Please can you explain the bolded......

Don't be deceived, the Church is no physical anything....the church is you and in your love and kindness towards one another,
For God says when you do this kindness to those in need then you have done it to me...
You show your appreciation to God by giving/taking care of those in need.....
Why will someone see a brother dying of hunger then give a blind eye but will go and give that money to a conman that do not even know you..?
Don't you know that when you give to those in need you are solving problems?

1 Like

Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by omonnakoda: 12:49pm On May 17, 2020
Exc2000:

in relating what you said to this thread... Abraham (a prophet of God, and Father of faith, and prophet of 3 most common religion we have today) gave in your own words 10 percent (one tenth or tithe) of looted and recovered properties to a Priest whether Royal or not in celebration of victory God gave him.. [/b] Mosses [/b] (a major prophet of God, and second mortal to catch a glimpse of god and speak to him) gave his ten percent to the "house of God"

so if the O.P wants to stop giving tithe because he feels Jesus sacrifice is enough to end ways of the old testament, then its his choice, but if he has to give tithe he had better do so as the true prophet of God did

I never said he gave it in celebration and the bible did not say that.

On his way back he was blocked by Mechilzedek who grabbed a share of the loot in omo onile fashion.

There is no where it is written that Abraham gave tithes before or after that out of his own property

Since you introduce Moses can you tell us the circumstances that he gave tithes?

Moses commanded in Deuteronomy that tithes be given of AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS. Not from any and all income

Why are you telling lies ?
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by sunnyluger: 12:57pm On May 17, 2020
Please read very well it says in the third year after you have finish tithing that means from what is left after tithing
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by antifat(m): 1:04pm On May 17, 2020
MasterJayJay:
THE TRUTH ABOUT TITHE.

Introduction: If your pastors say giving the needy, widows, orphans 10% of your income is not tithe, that you must pay it to him, then you are attending a business centre, not a church.

Malachi is the favourite book most pastors use to preach tithe. And it is very obvious, they use it because it contains a curse for those who don't pay it. Therefore, it is the 'best' verse used to brainwash Christians.

If you want to preach tithing, preach all verses related to it. Most of these men of God know the other verses but the only one they preach to their audience is Malachi. The sheep they are leading are even lazy to read their own bibles to see the truth for themselves. Note that quarter of truth is no truth, truth must be whole. Don’t add, don't remove.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept, just like circumcision and animal sacrifice. Things Christians were meant to abide to have validations from New testament after death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. There is nowhere tithe was clearly instructed in the New Testament after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The New Testament focuses on giving without compulsion. 2 Corinthians 9:7 captured it very well “Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver".

If you believe in tithing, then you should see other verses of the bible to know how it was applied thousands of years ago. Tithes were not for gentiles, it was for the Jews. Tithes were for the Levites, descendants of Levi. How many of your Pastors that preach Malachi to you are descendants of Levi?

There is a particular portion of the bible most pastors will never preach to you, and that can be found in Deut 14.22-29. Tithe was instructed to be given to the strangers, orphans, widows etc. How many pastors can boldly tell their members to give their tithes to widows and those in need?

Conclusion, if you want to pay tithe, that's your choice. But don't use outdated and obsolete verses like the one found in Malachi to threaten people. Are some verses outdated? Animal sacrifices were allowed in the Old Testament. After Jesus Christ paid for our sins, it made animal sacrifices to be outdated, and that includes tithes too.

For detailed explanation on tithes see this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/5783004/sentenced-asking-members-tithes-drama

May God bless you for this
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by chuksoyo21(m): 1:05pm On May 17, 2020
Oluromantic:
And the other portion he quoted is not in the Bible, abi??
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by nurusystem(m): 1:09pm On May 17, 2020
go and give ur tithe to orphans
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by Exc2000: 1:09pm On May 17, 2020
omonnakoda:
I never said he gave it in celebration and the bible did not say that.

On his way back he was blocked by Mechilzedek who grabbed a share of the loot in omo onile fashion.

There is no where it is written that Abraham gave tithes before or after that out of his own property

Since you introduce Moses can you tell us the circumstances that he gave tithes?

Moses commanded in Deuteronomy that tithes be given of AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS. Not from any and all income

Why are you telling lies ?

ok in simple terms.. should anyone pay tithe ? and if yes to church or to widow?

Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by chijokz(m): 1:16pm On May 17, 2020
MasterJayJay:
THE TRUTH ABOUT TITHE.

Introduction: If your pastors say giving the needy, widows, orphans 10% of your income is not tithe, that you must pay it to him, then you are attending a business centre, not a church.

Malachi is the favourite book most pastors use to preach tithe. And it is very obvious, they use it because it contains a curse for those who don't pay it. Therefore, it is the 'best' verse used to brainwash Christians.

If you want to preach tithing, preach all verses related to it. Most of these men of God know the other verses but the only one they preach to their audience is Malachi. The sheep they are leading are even lazy to read their own bibles to see the truth for themselves. Note that quarter of truth is no truth, truth must be whole. Don’t add, don't remove.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept, just like circumcision and animal sacrifice. Things Christians were meant to abide to have validations from New testament after death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. There is nowhere tithe was clearly instructed in the New Testament after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The New Testament focuses on giving without compulsion. 2 Corinthians 9:7 captured it very well “Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver".

If you believe in tithing, then you should see other verses of the bible to know how it was applied thousands of years ago. Tithes were not for gentiles, it was for the Jews. Tithes were for the Levites, descendants of Levi. How many of your Pastors that preach Malachi to you are descendants of Levi?

There is a particular portion of the bible most pastors will never preach to you, and that can be found in Deut 14.22-29. Tithe was instructed to be given to the strangers, orphans, widows etc. How many pastors can boldly tell their members to give their tithes to widows and those in need?

Conclusion, if you want to pay tithe, that's your choice. But don't use outdated and obsolete verses like the one found in Malachi to threaten people. Are some verses outdated? Animal sacrifices were allowed in the Old Testament. After Jesus Christ paid for our sins, it made animal sacrifices to be outdated, and that includes tithes too.

For detailed explanation on tithes see this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/5783004/sentenced-asking-members-tithes-drama
Well said. This is exactly what I share with my brainwashed friends. I told them to show me as a Christian where Yeshua and his Apostles preached tithing or collected it. Unfortunately they couldn't.
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by mechanics(m): 1:23pm On May 17, 2020
Pay your tithes to the church and you still assist the widows out of your tithes.
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by linearity: 1:29pm On May 17, 2020
Oluromantic:

Malachi 3:10 was addressed to priests who collected tithe from Israelites and refusing to bring it to the house of God, instead are keeping it for private use.

It was not addressed to the rest of Israel definitely not to you or the OP unless you guys are in the position of collecting tithes from other people.

Start reading it from Mal 1:1 or fast forward to Mal 2:1, then you will understand Mal 3:10.
Re: Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? by CuteYvonne777: 1:40pm On May 17, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Similarities Between Christianity And African Religion / About The High Rate Of Extramarital Sexual Affairs Today / If Juju Person Sabi Pray For Him Juju Pass You, Him Go Win You (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.