Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,486 members, 7,954,866 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:15 AM

I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? (98644 Views)

What's Your Wrong Car Painting Experience And In Which City? / I Am Considering DIY: From SUV To Pickup / Where Can I Get The Best Car Painting Or Oven Bake In Ph - Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Marpol: 8:05pm On May 21, 2020
I doubt if you will get the finish you require with the electric spray gun.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Conductor261: 8:13pm On May 21, 2020
Marpol:

Good to see you around. We'll behave now
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by AutoElectNG: 1:21am On May 22, 2020
adanny01:

So, after watching these videos and a lot of others. I find myself asking one simple question.

Can the Total Electric Spray Gun be adequate for an average car paint finish?

The only determining factor of this project happening is having an effective and affordable spray gun. Getting an air compressor is out of the question due to budget constraints.

The issue apparently is getting proper atomisation of the paint at a reasonable flow rate. Proper atomisation will reduce the orange peel effect especially during clear coat painting. Good atomisation at fairly high flow rate will speed up painting process.

I also understand the nozzle size is important especially with filler primers. I have not found the nozzle size specification for the spray gun plus it only comes with 1 nozzle as against other manufacturers that include as much as 3.

I am still searching for information on the practicability of this spray gun painting a car before I waste money in buying the spray gun.

Oh, i also realized from watching these videos that our local painters don't do nearly half of the work done to produce a good finish.

The research continues.

get a disused body panel or panels to hone your craft

I also second the idea( which was mooted by sholarb) of hiring an apprentice to work with you..they are grossly underpaid and will jump at the chance to earn some extra while giving you the benefit of a badly needed second mind

Research the following term "High Volume Low Pressure spray guns" therein lies the answer you seek

Finally, you might just have to change your source of spray gun to Amazon, in other words, spend some time on the automotive spray guns on sale there and compare with you have locally
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 7:07am On May 22, 2020
AutoElectNG:

get a disused body panel or panels to hone your craft

I also second the idea( which was mooted by sholarb) of hiring an apprentice to work with you..they are grossly underpaid and will jump at the chance to earn some extra while giving you the benefit of a badly needed second mind

Research the following term "High Volume Low Pressure spray guns" therein lies the answer you seek

Finally, you might just have to change your source of spray gun to Amazon, in other words, spend some time on the automotive spray guns on sale there and compare with you have locally

I have a metal sheet around the house for that purpose. I also planned to practice painting a house gate.

An apprentice is a good idea, I'll be on a look out for one.

HVLP is an acronym that I came across so many times. The design for the pump I intend to get is HVLP. The 2 spray guns I have found are quite nearly a replica of each other. 1 from Jumia and 1 from Konga.

I have seen a lot of these sprays on AliExpress and Amazon with specifications better than the ones on local marchant sites. Those I am sure should suffice but shipping is a headache. I have items from AliExpress that are over 2months and not arrived. Its the same story for everyone using any foreign marchant store. Besides, the shipping cost for such an item is 8 times the cost of the item. Its not logical to buy something for 15k and spend over 100k to ship it.

For now, everything has to be local.

1 Like

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by dicksonadams(m): 9:02am On May 22, 2020
Awesome
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by AutoElectNG: 9:59am On May 22, 2020
adanny01:

I have a metal sheet around the house for that purpose. I also planned to practice painting a house gate.

An apprentice is a good idea, I'll be on a look out for one.

HVLP is an acronym that I came across so many times. The design for the pump I intend to get is HVLP. The 2 spray guns I have found are quite nearly a replica of each other. 1 from Jumia and 1 from Konga.

I have seen a lot of these sprays on AliExpress and Amazon with specifications better than the ones on local marchant sites. Those I am sure should suffice but shipping is a headache. I have items from AliExpress that are over 2months and not arrived. Its the same story for everyone using any foreign marchant store. Besides, the shipping cost for such an item is 8 times the cost of the item. Its not logical to buy something for 15k and spend over 100k to ship it.

For now, everything has to be local.

Further refine your research to the pros and cons of gravity feed versus electric HVLP

Also go into comparing compressor spraying and HVLP spraying (since you are still worried about the final finish without the use of a compressor).

It seems in the final analysis, it is the technique that makes a world of difference and not necessary how much you invested in the tooling

I understand the bit about the export/import debacle. I am a victim myself.

My reason for asking you to go to Amazon was to study the specifications
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by buygala(m): 10:27am On May 22, 2020
Marpol:

Eskoos me oga Mod smiley

Pls I sell fresh Gala and chilled Kunu, in case anyone gets hungry or thirsty while Op is doing a Mona Lisa on his car smiley

Op, instead of all dis long tin about buying and/or importing spray guns which will very likely not give an acceptable paint output, why not just rent a paint gun with an air compressor for say a weekend first. Try your hand at it, master it, and then take it from there...

You will still need an air compressor to blow away tiny particles of whatever on the surface you will be needing to paint before painting..

Make friends with any carpenter or car painter in your area, then get him to rent you his paint compressor even for just a Sunday, since they hardly work on that day..learn with it and then paint with it...here in my area, renting of such isn't more than 5k per day...I know because I rented one to spray my bed after it got some scratches due to haulage smiley

Also try your hands are mixing the paint ingredients per gun-can, so that you can determine which paint in what mixture in particular works for you and also won't be too prone to peeling, fading, or flaking within too short a while...

I read somewhere up there that you practice with a gate grin....For Christ's sake, aside that fact a gates metal is far different from vehicle metal and plastic, the materials required to properly prep both materials for painting vary widely...A gate can take a significant amount of paint abuse and still look ok...A car won't....so kindly practice the entiree process with a car please smiley

Any other thing Bro, you will just suffer to prove a point that you can't sad

It won't be funny if after spending all that money on doing your painting yourself, the result then turns out like a car painted made by Baba Ope the car painter for 30k....the rationale behind DIY is for one to do the work far better than the artisans on a budget far below what they would have charged...There is honestly no point spending 150k on a DIY novice paintjob when reputable companies can give you almost factory spec for that same amount, give or take slightly more or less sad, and you won't even have to stress yourself with the whole gruesome process of stripping, painting, and recoupling your car smiley...here in my area, excellent painters abound who even arrange accidented Tokunbo cars for 60k tops...Na for Lagos and Abj most artisans charge exorbitantly and sometimes still do a poor Job sad

Wisdom is profitable to direct dear Op, because regardless of Marpol's presence here, I will laugh you to scorn if this DIY doesn't pan out very well for you, regardless of whether I get banned for doing so...

I have sha given you fair warning

5 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 11:15am On May 22, 2020
AutoElectNG:

Further refine your research to the pros and cons of gravity feed versus electric HVLP

Also go into comparing compressor spraying and HVLP spraying (since you are still worried about the final finish without the use of a compressor).

It seems in the final analysis, it is the technique that makes a world of difference and not necessary how much you invested in the tooling

I understand the bit about the export/import debacle. I am a victim myself.

My reason for asking you to go to Amazon was to study the specifications

I'll be reading much much on the sprays.

Yes, technique brings out the job. In fact, I noticed on the videos one important thing that I never see painters here do. That is sanding clear coat the buffing. Our painters just spray clear coat and let it cure. This leaves imperfections but sanding removes the Orange peel and every rough surface.

The buffing bit I saw on Jumia is not local, so getting it may still be a challenge. This means, if I dont get it locally, I cannot sand the clear coat except for 2nd or more coat.

Research still in progress.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Lexusgs430: 3:54am On May 23, 2020
A short while after......... cheesy

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 10:53am On May 23, 2020
Lexusgs430:
A short while after......... cheesy

undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Itzhandy: 12:23pm On May 23, 2020
China Account Available for cash deposit � � and all kind of transfers,WeChat pay and Alipay also available for all kinds of transfer � � � ...Fast payment ⏰ � (your money in Minutes) �...Contact Whatsapp https:///.2347084523237
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Zane2point4(m): 1:59pm On May 23, 2020
Pls save yoursef the stress and energy,the cost to buy materials and hire ppl can even paint your car,and if u paint by yoursef,are u even sure of a neat ,glossy,sharp,sparkling work?

Bargain properly and let professionals handle your car,i only painted mine with 30k.

Imagine someone driving venza and want to use it to learn painting grin grin
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by diportivo: 9:54am On May 24, 2020
Zane2point4:
Pls save yoursef the stress and energy,the cost to buy materials and hire ppl can even paint your car,and if u paint by yoursef are u even sure of a neat ,glossy,sharp,sparkling work?

Bargain properly and let professionals handle your car,i only painted mine with 30k.

Imagine someone driving venza and want to use it to learn painting grin grin

30k paint job will fade after some months

if u read his opening talk carefully,u will understand why he doesnt want to go that route

DIY is a passion.u can own okada and not even av any DIY interest....it has nothing to do with what u drive

na naija here we dey attribute laziness to being a big man......and a big man to the type of car u drive undecided

adanny01

I fear for this ur venture......but ur strong head ehn,its second to non and I know it means u will follow thru with this

we await the result either ways bros

grin

5 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 10:07am On May 24, 2020
diportivo:

if u read his opening talk carefully,u will understand why he doesnt want to go that route

DIY is a passion.u can own okada and not even av any DIY interest....it has nothing to do with what u drive

na naija here we dey attribute laziness to being a big man......and a big man to the type of car u drive undecided

adanny01

I fear for this ur venture......but ur strong head ehn,its second to non and I know it means u will follow thru with this

grin

I really get am for strong head but I dey fear failure too.

I really cannot understand why DIY car painting is perceived to be such an impossible job when I turn my head and see badly painted cars daily. Every time I see such badly painted car, I tell myself, I can do better than this shit.

I know what I am up against. The only fence that is too tall to climb now is the locked borders. I can't get some tools locally, I need them soon before I lose steam or divert my attention to other things.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by AutoElectNG: 11:29am On May 24, 2020
adanny01:

I really cannot understand why DIY car painting is perceived to be such an impossible job when I turn my head and see badly painted cars daily. Every time I see such badly painted car, I tell myself, I can do better than this shit.

I know what I am up against. The only fence that is too tall to climb now is the locked borders. I can't get some tools locally, I need them soon before I lose steam or divert my attention to other things.

Can it be done? YES

Can anyone do it? NO

What is the proof it can be done? Articles like this https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a3110/a-diy-guide-to-painting-your-car-15998013/ and tons of YouTube videos.

I replaced my transmission at home even when I had not undergone formal technical training. But I used an apprentice, who I paid with food and drink and a new phone to replace the one he lost - Day 1, dropped the transmission, Day 2- installed the new one, Day 3 - made sure everything was restored to factory settings, and the vehicle drove fine.

In the final analysis, it boils down to mindset.

I reverted my fans to factory setting all alone despite all the warnings not to.

So you can do it if you set your mind to it.

I would like to do this project also.

This guy says he has resumed shipping https://www.nairaland.com/onepunchman but I haven't yet tried him, do your due diligence and proceed

The mind of someone who has lived in the US and Nigeria has a wider horizon than the one who has lived all his life in Nigeria.

Our techies are like the guy who has lived all his life in Nigeria

Don't ever box yourself in.

What others consider limitations should be considered stepping stones

9 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Piyke: 12:14pm On May 24, 2020
I really do not see why DIY car painting cannot be done. I agree it is difficult. The problem will be going into this without, passion, research, proper tools and practice. Passion is important, painting is really not my thing, thus, even though I love and do a lot of car DIY, I can't see myself painting a car.
It might be a good idea to take it small small; practice with a junk car or gate as already stated.
Even when failure happens, an intelligent person learns a lot from it and becomes better in the process.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Zane2point4(m): 12:33pm On May 24, 2020
diportivo:

adanny01

grin
Ok no wahala,i painted 30k based on relationship level shaa.
Painting is tidious and rmber he have to sandpaper with filler,so how can he get the shape of the vehicle again?

Division of labour is necessary.
This reminds me of the fellow in health section that burnt his nipple black blc of DIY grin grin grin
Happy sunday.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 12:47pm On May 24, 2020
Zane2point4:

Painting is tidious and rmber he have to sandpaper with filler,so how can he get the shape of the vehicle again?

This reminds me of the fellow in health section that burnt his nipple black blc of DIY grin grin grin
Happy sunday.

Filling and Sanding is what I am looking forward to. Thats where the real painting job is. And thats where i have big ideas and wish to make my work better than the shop.

It is tedious thats why I don't want to do it entirely by hand. How many painters use power sanders? They used the young apprentices. I want to combine manual and power sanding. This will save time and energy but give me the desired output.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by diportivo: 1:15pm On May 24, 2020
Zane2point4:

Happy sunday.

that guy na werey grin

that u can change the oil in ur car urself doesnt mean u can chook urself Injection for nyansh

body different from machine

3 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by okoroemeka(m): 7:51pm On May 24, 2020
after years of owning different cars and trucks also doing countless paint job,this is the tactics I discovered for the best car paint finish,contract a panel beater to do the sanding and filling part the hardest and most critical part for a smooth finish,(#25-30,000 naira)then go and buy original paint yourself from sikkens,akzo Nobel or ppg(#50-60,000 naira)then take the car to expert sprayers booth (#5000 naira)the panel beater will be available because the sprayers will thoroughly inspect the car and refer him back to bad spots,most panel beaters are not painters, there are people that spray cars only for a living,and most important is the paint quality,I bought a #40k China paint and resprayed my car and regretted that decision in 2 months,whatever the cost don't buy any other paint apart from those 3 and go to there office

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by semid4lyfe(m): 7:50pm On May 25, 2020
okoroemeka:
after years of owning different cars and trucks also doing countless paint job,this is the tactics I discovered for the best car paint finish,contract a panel beater to do the sanding and filling part the hardest and most critical part for a smooth finish,(#25-30,000 naira)then go and buy original paint yourself from sikkens,akzo Nobel or ppg(#50-60,000 naira)then take the car to expert sprayers booth (#5000 naira)the panel beater will be available because the sprayers will thoroughly inspect the car and refer him back to bad spots,most panel beaters are not painters, there are people that spray cars only for a living,and most important is the paint quality,I bought a #40k China paint and resprayed my car and regretted that decision in 2 months,whatever the cost don't buy any other paint apart from those 3 and go to there office

5K is just the cost of renting the spraying booth/oven.

The painter will not do the job for free and will charge 10 - 30k depending on the vehicle and the amount of work it'd require.

Now, let's do the maths

Panel Beating - 25k, Paint - 50k, Rent of Oven - 5k, Painting Workmanship - 15k. TOTAL - 95K.

Not cost effective at all.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by buygala(m): 9:55am On May 26, 2020
semid4lyfe:

The painter will not do the job for free and will charge 10 - 30k depending on the vehicle and the amount of work it'd require.

Now, let's do the maths

Panel Beating - 25k, Paint - 50k, Rent of Oven - 5k, Painting Workmanship - 15k. TOTAL - 95K.

It's clear that op is on a wild goose chase grin

Car painting that men spent their whole teenage years and possibly part of their adult life learning is what Op just wants to wake up one morning,practice on an old gate and then do because he feels he can do a better Job than all the painters in Nigeria...undecided

Oya unpin the thread from the top of this section so that we can face more important issues smiley

This thread is obviously dead on arrival grin
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 9:30pm On May 26, 2020
buygala:

It's clear that op is on a wild goose chase grin

Car painting that men spent their whole teenage years and possibly part of their adult life learning is what Op just wants to wake up one morning,practice on an old gate and then do because he feels he can do a better Job than all the painters in Nigeria...undecided

Oya unpin the thread from the top of this section so that we can face more important issues smiley

This thread is obviously dead on arrival grin

Am sure we don't share the same opinion and I definitely do not feel I can do better than all the painters in Nigeria.

What ever the mess of a paint I will make will not be worst than my sister's car that was painted a year ago or the current state of my car. That I know for sure.

I asked you for an opinion and yours is one.

17 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by lx3as(m): 8:50am On May 27, 2020
adanny01:

I will advise you negotiate with a cool headed painter in your hood. Be in charge of your painting yourself but seek his opinion when/where it's necessary. Make use of his tools and one of his boys(you'll pay for these). You will learn a lot from this(doing it in a side of his workshop) and perform better in DIY next time.

1 Like

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Eizenburg: 8:47pm On May 27, 2020
Following
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by okoroemeka(m): 3:35am On May 30, 2020
semid4lyfe:

Now, let's do the maths

the last paint job I did was February last year,the panel beater even came to my house to fill and sand the car with putty and filler for 3-4 days,he stayed with me and I fed him for that 3 days,after that we took the vehicle to an expert sprayer in enugu who sprayed it with #5k and the car was collected next day,so total cost is panel beater #25k,paint #40k,sprayer #5k, accessories #15-20k and it took 5-6 days to complete the job,I don't have time for artisans games,if you park vehicle for them some can take up to 1 month to complete job that will take 4-5 days,don't have time for such nonsense,if I want to do a paint job my panel beater comes to my house and do it ,no time for games.

8 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by zevous: 7:01pm On May 31, 2020
The truth is I don't see any big deal in what the OP is about to do. The issue we are having here is lack of availability and easy access of equipment here in Nigeria. Assume we had all those automarts here like its available abroad.. A lot of people go dey do DIY..

3 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by greatbrian(m): 8:51pm On May 31, 2020
adanny01:

I tell myself I am a handyman in Nigeria. I am an Engineer by profession but a technician by indulgence.

I take my TV apart before I take it to the street TV repair man. My mechanic thinks I am stingy because he can't do the usual Kazeem with me (they sometimes get away with it)..

My Kitchen cabinet was a friend's idea, he said, "why do you have to pay for this, I trust you, you can do it. Just go to Panteka (Kaduna)". Before anyone knew it, I did my bed, my TV console and planing to do a whole lot.

On this job, I may not achieve the best standards that'll win titles but I know that the outcome won't be worst than the present condition. The only thing I am watching out for is the budget.

I have been reading and many things worry me about the job. As much as I want the result to be impressive, I only want what is acceptable.

Oh, I remember. I was supposed to fix my neighbors child bicycle chain this evening.

Are you in kaduna?
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 6:00pm On Jun 01, 2020
Partially.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by dicksonadams(m): 11:36pm On Jun 01, 2020
Has work commenced
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:27pm On Jun 02, 2020
It will end in tears. Painting isn't something you pick up in a one afternoon. Instead of painting the car, you'd be much better off buying a wrap and wrapping it yourself.
All you need is a heat gun and the wrap.

I repeat, it will end in tears.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by dicksonadams(m): 1:59pm On Jun 02, 2020
HeavenlyBang:
It will end in tears. Painting isn't something you pick up in a one afternoon. Instead of painting the car, you'd be much better off buying a wrap and wrapping it yourself.
All you need is a heat gun and the wrap.

I repeat, it will end in tears.

Word of the wise

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

List Of 24 Cars You Should Never Buy By Nigerian Twitter User (Photos) / Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils / Photos-Official Car Of The Nigerian President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.