Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,596 members, 7,958,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 04:45 AM

I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? (98693 Views)

What's Your Wrong Car Painting Experience And In Which City? / I Am Considering DIY: From SUV To Pickup / Where Can I Get The Best Car Painting Or Oven Bake In Ph - Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 11:28pm On Aug 30, 2020
MOTIONTECH:
Just go and study medicine so that you can be treating yourself.

Sho! angry

DIY Doctor, that's a great idea! grin

But for now, I will limit myself to DIY mechanic and DIY Tailor cool

Even though I was eying my cobbler wink

9 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:36am On Aug 31, 2020
adanny01:
Lastly, I almost aborted at the last stage but decided to spray the clear coat without hardener just so I can see the spray result.

I had just little clear coat to use so I thinned it much more than I should.

The output was better, encouraging and uniform. It was smooth too.

What's the virdict, I will say it is plausible to use my spray gun and achieve some average results.

I did learn a lot from this trial.

1. I will need a lot of thinner, that's one thing a painting session should not run out of.

2. Paint filter is absolutely necessary.

3. I also got an idea of quantities required to paint the whole car.

4. I read somewhere that insects are attracted to the smell of clear coat, lets say I concur. That means painting outside of has this as major challenge.

I will plan a redo of this trial.
Few things I noticed. You didn't sand down the old paint before spraying again. You need to do that to remove rough and dirt. Then you didn't start with primer.

6 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by double3(m): 11:43am On Aug 31, 2020
MOTIONTECH:
Just go and study medicine so that you can be treating yourself.
Have u ever asked ursef why people climb mount everest....some people love taking up challenge.
As we speak I just tore down my generator engine, it cost more(time and finance) doing it myself cos I had to buy some tools which I don't have; its not about the cost but the idea of challenging one's self and the fulfilment that comes with achieving a goal.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 12:40pm On Aug 31, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Few things I noticed. You didn't sand down the old paint before spraying again. You need to do that to remove rough and dirt. Then you didn't start with primer.

Yes I skipped primer. In fact most painters don't do full body primer.

Primer ensures better adhesion of base coat to surface. The adhesion will increase durability. Since I am testing, primer is not a critical part.

Sanding down the old paint is not as easy as you think. In fact, to sand down a whole car to bare metal is a job you wont give an enemy. It is never done that way. In this case, the piece I tested was plastic. You don't want to sand to bare plastic as plastic will wear down very fast and leave a rough surface compared to a painted surface.

On the last sanding i did, I washed the part with thinner which removed 2 coats of paint and left me with the factory paint. I didn't even know the part was engraved until the thinner washed out the 2 coats of paint then the engraving was exposed. I sanded the factory coat and got to bare plastic on some spots, especially the edges.

The only thing to ensure is getting a smoothened, evened and leveled surface.

Besides, the aim of the test was to ascertain the quality of spray. And I did find out that my spray gun can spray an acceptable quality of clear coat but not base coat.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by MOTIONTECH(m): 12:57pm On Aug 31, 2020
double3:

Have u ever asked ursef why people climb mount everest....some people love taking up challenge.
As we speak I just tore down my generator engine, it cost more(time and finance) doing it myself cos I had to buy some tools which I don't have; its not about the cost but the idea of challenging one's self and the fulfilment that comes with achieving a goal.
Ok.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 1:23pm On Aug 31, 2020
double3:

I took my generator for service before I traveled one time, before then, I did it myself and will not have issues.

This time while away, the gen was over heating and will stop. My wife was furious that I didn't do it myself like i used to. Even she has noticed that when I service the gen myself, the gen continues to work like it has been doing but once a mechanic touches it, we will have to go back to the mechanic with complaints.

Lets ask ourselves one question, over 50% (I don't want to exaggerate but its far higher) of car mechanics do not have cars or don't drive longer than a 2-5mins test drive. Some don't even know how to drive. This makes it hard for most of them to imagine the actual driving problems faced by the driver.

So if a vehicle owner comes with a complain that the car overheated yesterday, they have no idea what happened, they will only want to prevent it by connecting the cooling fan direct and removing the thermostat leaving the real problem behind.

I asked my former boss why is a job advert of a driver always written "Driver/Mechanic" when they still send the car to a Mechanic to fix a problem.

The easiest patient of a Dr is the one that can tell the Dr his problem. In the absence of that, only a test can say. Beyond that, na Paracetamol or other NSAIDs.

Self medication is bad but Drs teach Diabetic patients self medication. Some people have private jets but don't just want to be chauffeured, they want to fly it themselves.

These days, DIY is a hobby, you can even add it to your CV.

16 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by earthrealm(m): 9:04pm On Sep 07, 2020
adanny01:

Spray gun, am not buying again. Why I didn't buy on AliExpress last time was the shipping cosr. I was getting the spray gun at 10 to 20k and shipping 50k and above.

I have been searching for the nozzle on AliExpress. I just saw what looks exactly like my nozzle but its a 1.8mm.

I would like a 1.3-1.5mm but can't find it yet.

Yeah, your major error was buying 1 nozzle spray gun. That 4 nozzle spray gun, you posted has been in my cart for months.. waiting for normal shipping to resume b4 i pull the trigger
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 9:51pm On Sep 07, 2020
earthrealm:

Yeah, your major error was buying 1 nozzle spray gun. That 4 nozzle spray gun, you posted has been in my cart for months.. waiting for normal shipping to resume b4 i pull the trigger

Ha, dat one!

I contacted a few sellers. For the package size, it cost over 7 times the item cost for shipping alone.

I am still keeping my budget low in case I will not proceed with the DIY.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by earthrealm(m): 4:37am On Sep 08, 2020
adanny01:

Ha, dat one!

I contacted a few sellers. For the package size, it cost over 7 times the item cost for shipping alone.

I am still keeping my budget low in case I will not proceed with the DIY.

There are always options, if you dig deeper. 3rd party china shippers dey this forum. Am sure a couple would be reliable
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 7:38am On Sep 08, 2020
earthrealm:

There are always options, if you dig deeper. 3rd party china shippers dey this forum. Am sure a couple would be reliable

Yeah, I have been following the AliExpress shopper thread.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Kayharry(m): 5:58pm On Sep 17, 2020
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 6:23pm On Sep 23, 2020
adanny01:

When I buy brake pads for N4,500. It costs me N500 to pay my mechanic to install them. But no, I take it home and install myself. Its not about the N500 installation fee.

80% of the time I wash my car myself. Its not about the N500 fee.

Within this same period that I created this thread, I have painted a car. I have the painter's number to call him?

Do you drive? I guess yes. Why do drive? As in, why don't you hire a driver instead of driving yourself? Its just 40k a month am sure you can afford it. You get what I mean?

In my own case, clearly I can't afford 60k for a paint job, do you want to volunteer? I would gladly, accept and appreciate your offer.

As an update to the thread, I have ordered 2 items and it has been 2months now, no show. Stuffs i ordered February were refunded last month, its not easy to get what I want.

Besides, after my accident, I have bought a bumper, headlight, bumper bracket, inner fender mudliner and engine splash shield. All I need is to drop the car with my panel beater in Jos.

If at any point I cannot proceed as planned, I would have no regrets to call it off. I have seen far more expensive ventures on NL that have not yielded desired results. I know when to quit except if you order me to quit by stepping up right now.

It will be transparent to notify that stuffs I ordered February and was refunded later arrived 7 months later.

1 Like

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Mohboss(m): 2:54pm On Sep 25, 2020
I need a company that brand truck, urgently needed.
Contact me on 07035426120...
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Blossommarian(f): 10:06am On Sep 29, 2020
I will advise yo give an expert

2 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Kayharry(m): 1:32pm On Oct 07, 2020
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by dicksonadams(m): 6:18am On Oct 18, 2020
After about 5 month and counting... Boss carry go, success is certain
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by leisuretym: 12:38am On Oct 20, 2020
Hahahaha! myself and my wife don laugh tired, she said whatever you do , don't use water color oo.

1 Like

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 4:12pm On Oct 20, 2020
leisuretym:
Hahahaha! myself and my wife don laugh tired, she said whatever you do , don't use water color oo.

grin Noted
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 20, 2020
adanny01:

grin Noted

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by tripoli007(m): 10:55am On Oct 23, 2020
We still dey here ohh, dey wait update .. We know one here say u back off from this project ... Kudos my oga grin grin grin
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by naijadrivablog: 5:10pm On Nov 22, 2020
adanny01:

Sho! angry
DIY Doctor, that's a great idea! grin
But for now, I will limit myself to DIY mechanic and DIY Tailor cool
Even though I was eying my cobbler wink
So have you done the paint job abi AFRAID de catch you? grin
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 5:21pm On Nov 22, 2020
naijadrivablog:

I have been away and busy for nearly 2months now. .

Afraid no fit catch me if I had everything I need plus time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by tripoli007(m): 10:23am On Nov 23, 2020
naijadrivablog:

angry grin grin
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by heykims(m): 7:36am On Nov 27, 2020
And why is this thread always topping the car talk section.
Mod, op is just chasing clout, abeg delete thread.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Nicholasd: 4:52pm On Dec 05, 2020
adanny01:
So, my car is about 6yrs and the paint is in bad shape, thats apart from scratches and dents by family and friends.

The plan is to buy an electric spray gun (see image below), sanding discs for electric drill, buffer for electric drill, paint, thinner, clear coat, primmer, scotch tape and old newspapers. The panel beating will be done by competent panel beater.

My motivation is lack of funds to contract the best services for the job. Also, the cheap ones will not do a good job. I paid 30k for my sister's car last year but at this time, my car painted 6yrs ago is far better off.

From my reading, the main work in painting a car is the preparation (sanding precisely). Actual painting does not take more than 5hrs but the preparation will take days - weeks to get it right. I know if I Do-It-Myself, it will come out better. The only part I am scared of is the actual painting i.e getting right viscosity and colour.

Challenges:
- I am not sure if the electric spray gun will be adequate. The main decision is buying the spray gun.
- The Spray gun itself cost more than half of the budget but if successful, I may do 2 other projects which will eventually be the cost advantage.
- I have no experience in paint mixing or thinning
- I am also afraid of the job being too tedious or that without a garage cover, dust may make the job bad.

Hi, There I generally follow this website for painting my car or home anything, I suggest you as trusted https://painterscare.com/
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Kobicove(m): 1:18pm On Dec 06, 2020
heykims:
And why is this thread always topping the car talk section.
Mod, op is just chasing clout, abeg delete thread.

Make you come delete am na grin
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by InvertedHammer: 1:19pm On Dec 06, 2020
adanny01:
So, my car is about 6yrs and the paint is in bad shape, thats apart from scratches and dents by family and friends.

The plan is to buy an electric spray gun (see image below), sanding discs for electric drill, buffer for electric drill, paint, thinner, clear coat, primmer, scotch tape and old newspapers. The panel beating will be done by competent panel beater.

My motivation is lack of funds to contract the best services for the job. Also, the cheap ones will not do a good job. I paid 30k for my sister's car last year but at this time, my car painted 6yrs ago is far better off.

From my reading, the main work in painting a car is the preparation (sanding precisely). Actual painting does not take more than 5hrs but the preparation will take days - weeks to get it right. I know if I Do-It-Myself, it will come out better. The only part I am scared of is the actual painting i.e getting right viscosity and colour.

Challenges:
- I am not sure if the electric spray gun will be adequate. The main decision is buying the spray gun.
- The Spray gun itself cost more than half of the budget but if successful, I may do 2 other projects which will eventually be the cost advantage.
- I have no experience in paint mixing or thinning
- I am also afraid of the job being too tedious or that without a garage cover, dust may make the job bad.

/
Avoid overspray and run on paints.

After a week, then buff and wax.

Your result should be better than most average paint jobs in Nigeria.

/

1 Like

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Okuda(m): 1:21pm On Dec 06, 2020
this would be the biggest mostake you would be makimg... but what do i know
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Kurtis02(m): 1:22pm On Dec 06, 2020
After How Many Months

Thought the guy had erased the idea of the task,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

List Of 24 Cars You Should Never Buy By Nigerian Twitter User (Photos) / Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils / Photos-Official Car Of The Nigerian President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.