Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? (97381 Views)

What's Your Wrong Car Painting Experience And In Which City? / I Am Considering DIY: From SUV To Pickup / Where Can I Get The Best Car Painting Or Oven Bake In Ph - Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 3:46pm On Jun 03, 2020
dicksonadams:
Has work commenced

I only bought the Electric spray gun and Electric drill but have not received it yet.

I am scared to place order for the sand paper, sanding and buffing bits. They are only available on Jumia Global or AliExpress which will take forever due to the lockdown.

If I can get local options, I will proceed right away.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Mmgboji(m): 7:15pm On Jun 03, 2020
So many of us are just lurking around and praying that this your venture turns out good so that so many of us will be encouraged to give it a try. Good luck man.

11 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by kayswag100(m): 10:50pm On Jun 04, 2020
nurey:

You see that EOD wheel ARC you sure say you go fit sand paper am with that machine? not to talk of all the angle of inclination available in every nook and cranny grin las las baba tawa go finish wetin you start grin

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by tripoli007(m): 5:32pm On Jun 07, 2020
Why do I feel this will end in Tears

But good luck man grin

Just don't be penny wise. Pound foolish

1 Like

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 6:03pm On Jun 08, 2020
tripoli007:
Why do I feel this will end in Tears

But good luck man grin

Just don't be penny wise. Pound foolish

I have done so many DIYs that I have not posted here. The reason I no longer post my DIYs is because most people associate it to money. Even the mechanics and other artisans would think its about money but no, I want things done carefully, planned and perfect. Sometimes its just satisfying my curiosity. Sometimes about the money, sometimes its about what I have read somewhere.

Which kazeem cares about LTFT, when the car starts and drives well? But I do.

I have watched videos of DIY painting, the worst that can happen is having orange peel effect.

If not for my resilience, I would have spent a fortune on my car. Even the paint supplier I contacted told me I cannot do the paint myself. This isn't new.

What I am spending for now is what I can afford to gamble so I am not planning to regret.

16 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by AshipaEk0: 8:25pm On Jun 08, 2020
adanny01:

I only bought the Electric spray gun and Electric drill but have not received it yet.

I am scared to place order for the sand paper, sanding and buffing bits. They are only available on Jumia Global or AliExpress which will take forever due to the lockdown.

If I can get local options, I will proceed right away.

sand paper shouldn't be a problem to get locally no matter the grade

Go ye forth into the market and ye shall surely find.

if in doubt, ask carpentry workers for directions to where you can get
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by AutoElectNG: 8:58pm On Jun 08, 2020
Not to sound patronizing but anything can be achieved if you have

1. the money

2. the time

3. the tools

4. the training

Like Toyota techies did to the Nissan Skyline GT-R below, it took over 1 and a half years though,

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a32754631/toyota-employees-restore-nissan-skyline-gt-r/

You need a few more more tools,

1.a camera
2/3. a notebook and pen to take detailed notes
4. several containers to keep the fasteners/screws from each part you take apart together, will make coupling things back a breeze
5. labels for each of the above containers

Good luck

4 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by pete3000: 3:04am On Jun 09, 2020
adanny01:

I have done so many DIYs that I have not posted here. The reason I no longer post my DIYs is because most people associate it to money. Even the mechanics and other artisans would think its about money but no, I want things done carefully, planned and perfect. Sometimes its just satisfying my curiosity. Sometimes about the money, sometimes its about what I have read somewhere.

I have watched videos of DIY painting, the worst that can happen is having orange peel effect.

If not for my resilience, I would have spent a fortune on my car. Even the paint supplier I contacted told me I cannot do the paint myself. This isn't new.

What I am spending for now is what I can afford to gamble so I am not planning to regret.

What is LTFT?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 1:29pm On Jun 09, 2020
pete3000:

What is LTFT?

Long Term Fuel Trim

2 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by foolbuster: 4:45pm On Jun 10, 2020
adanny01:

Pay no mind to those that are discouraging you. One thing i know for sure is the result of this your project will be better than at least what 60% of our local painters will produce. Carry on!!!

9 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:47pm On Jun 10, 2020
foolbuster:

Pay no mind to those that are discouraging you. One thing i know for sure is the result of this your project will be better than at least what 60% of our local painters will produce. Carry on!!!

1 Like

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by bigx(m): 9:36am On Jun 11, 2020
The painters who would paint are people like you jor.

You might end up doing a better job than them, Ive been there when a car was repainted and apart from the sanding and smoothing part I didn't see any big deal.

They used this vulcanizers compressor-motor contraption so maybe you can hire it from a nearby one maybe on a Sunday when they would be less busy shouldn't pass 1k and look for the spray can and nozzle it attaches to (looked locally fabricated too )

I buy sandpaper different grits very cheap from building material sellers (the ones that sell nails, tools, etc) but I'd say look for a local mechanic shop and give them the job to sand and fill (looked monotonous and backbreaking).

I love DIY too and I'm sure this would end well.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by battymann: 3:38pm On Jun 17, 2020
adanny01:
So, my car is about 6yrs and the paint is in bad shape, thats apart from scratches and dents by family and friends.

The plan is to buy an electric spray gun (see image below), sanding discs for electric drill, buffer for electric drill, paint, thinner, clear coat, primmer, scotch tape and old newspapers. The panel beating will be done by competent panel beater.

My motivation is lack of funds to contract the best services for the job. Also, the cheap ones will not do a good job. I paid 30k for my sister's car last year but at this time, my car painted 6yrs ago is far better off.

From my reading, the main work in painting a car is the preparation (sanding precisely). Actual painting does not take more than 5hrs but the preparation will take days - weeks to get it right. I know if I Do-It-Myself, it will come out better. The only part I am scared of is the actual painting i.e getting right viscosity and colour.

Challenges:
- I am not sure if the electric spray gun will be adequate. The main decision is buying the spray gun.
- The Spray gun itself cost more than half of the budget but if successful, I may do 2 other projects which will eventually be the cost advantage.
- I have no experience in paint mixing or thinning
- I am also afraid of the job being too tedious or that without a garage cover, dust may make the job bad.

I admire your spirit. You are in for something great. Trial DIY is sweet when you have enough cash for repetitions and final resignation to employing an expert in case you don't get it right.

Spray gun is a no no. It spits. It doesn't give a continuous stream of air. I have one. I used it to spray an old fridge and the job wasn't wonderful.
You need a proper spraying machine which you can borrow/hire from a furniture maker.

The art of spraying is not easy. You need time to learn the hand movements. How to start and brake the stream for consistency without causing bleeding. How to spray difficult corners too.

Mixing the paint is not difficult. An experienced paint dealer can teach you that. Do not be deceived, you don't need plenty of thinner. Painters make people believe they do.

If you feel your finishing is not right, scrape it and start over. You have all the time in the world.

Sanding disc is not ideal for auto finishing especially for a novice. Buffer is ok. Use your hand and go gradually. To get the surfaces and edges straight, hold the sand paper with a block of wood at the back.
Follow those videos but don't forget they were made by experts using the right equipment and under the best conditions.

Update us here on progress for contributions.
Happy DYI

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 10:26pm On Jun 17, 2020
battymann:

I admire your spirit. You are in for something great. Trial DIY is sweet when you have enough cash for repetitions and final resignation to employing an expert in case you don't get it right.

Spray gun is a no no. It spits. It doesn't give a continuous stream of air. I have one. I used it to spray an old fridge and the job wasn't wonderful.
You need a proper spraying machine which you can borrow/hire from a furniture maker.

The art of spraying is not easy. You need time to learn the hand movements. How to start and brake the stream for consistency without causing bleeding. How to spray difficult corners too.

Mixing the paint is not difficult. An experienced paint dealer can teach you that. Do not be deceived, you don't need plenty of thinner. Painters make people believe they do.

If you feel your finishing is not right, scrape it and start over. You have all the time in the world.

Sanding disc is not ideal for auto finishing especially for a novice. Buffer is ok. Use your hand and go gradually. To get the surfaces and edges straight, hold the sand paper with a block of wood at the back.
Follow those videos but don't forget they were made by experts using the right equipment and under the best conditions.

Update us here on progress for contributions.
Happy DYI

Thank you for the great experienced advice.

Unfortunately, I bought the spray gun already but not taken delivery of it yet. I have a welder who is interested in the spray gun if I have no use for it.

I wanted a solo run but it seems I have to outsource.

1 Like

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by battymann: 7:30pm On Jun 18, 2020
adanny01:

Thank you for the great experienced advice.

Unfortunately, I bought the spray gun already but not taken delivery of it yet. I have a welder who is interested in the spray gun if I have no use for it.

I wanted a solo run but it seems I have to outsource.

It's OK. I wish you all the best.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 10:08pm On Jun 20, 2020
So, I received my spray gun today. I tested the spray pattern with water, I can't conclude unless i do some actual painting on a smooth metal sheet.

I confirmed it's nozzle to be 2.5mm. My readings suggest 1.3-1.4mm for base and clear coat and min of 1.7 for primer. I am still considering the best way forward.

Meanwhile, I took another car to my affordable painter in Jos. This painter has done 3 of my car paint jobs before. The result isn't great even with his experience.

The paint has runs, very little orange peels all over and a very rough finish. The lustre is good but mirror image is very distorted. Sanding and buffing would have made it better but I didn't pay for it so am not touching it. It makes me feel I can do better.

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by 9icetoo(m): 6:38pm On Jun 21, 2020
I think you can buff those runs out.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by idu1(m): 1:56pm On Jun 25, 2020
Lapalapa paint job loading

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jun 25, 2020
Love people that can think outside the box.

Please keep updating.

Nigerians don't like diy. Only very few. That's how inventions are born.

7 Likes

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by earthrealm(m): 2:07pm On Jun 26, 2020
adanny01:

I really get am for strong head but I dey fear failure too.

I really cannot understand why DIY car painting is perceived to be such an impossible job when I turn my head and see badly painted cars daily. Every time I see such badly painted car, I tell myself, I can do better than this shit.

I know what I am up against. The only fence that is too tall to climb now is the locked borders. I can't get some tools locally, I need them soon before I lose steam or divert my attention to other things.

i was in your shoes, a few months ago..however, i was considering vinyl/carbon fiber sheet body wrapping. its a lot easier than painting and gives sameor even better results.

i wish i had your balls, to tackle on such a diy ops. i commend you.
i recall many diy ops i had pulled off, the recent being changing my broken oneplus 5 screen, many people said i would not succeed, or why do i like suffer...i should give it to a phone repair guy. but after watching several videos, i pulled off the job almost perfectly..under 150minutes...subsequent screen change ops will not exceed 90mins grin

@ pic is a rhino lined truck, similar to carbo fiber or vinyl wrap

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:16pm On Jun 26, 2020
earthrealm:

i was in your shoes, a few months ago..however, i was considering vinyl/carbon fiber sheet body wrapping. its a lot easier than painting and gives sameor even better results.

i wish i had your balls, to tackle on such a diy ops. i commend you.
i recall many diy ops i had pulled off, the recent being changing my broken oneplus 5 screen, many people said i would not succeed, or why do i like suffer...i should give it to a phone repair guy. but after watching several videos, i pulled off the job almost perfectly..under 150minutes...subsequent screen change ops will not exceed 90mins grin

@ pic is a rhino lined truck, similar to carbo fiber or vinyl wrap

That was exactly what I suggested. Faster, cheaper, and it's harder to fvck up.

Where did you buy your wrap from? How much was needed, and how much did it cost?

I'm considering wrapping my car, and I'll almost definitely do it myself.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by earthrealm(m): 2:29pm On Jun 26, 2020
Zane2point4:

Ok no wahala,i painted 30k based on relationship level shaa.
Painting is tidious and rmber he have to sandpaper with filler,so how can he get the shape of the vehicle again?

Division of labour is necessary.
This reminds me of the fellow in health section that burnt his nipple black blc of DIY grin grin grin
Happy sunday.

hahahahaha, abeg post the link to the thread, i came across if few wks ago...quite hilarious, and forgot to follow grin

@adanny, go with the flow....dont be discouraged...whats the worst that could happen?.....you fail and maybe 40k down the drain, you then take it to the artisans to paint well chikena.....but you would have learnt a lot.

dont allow nigerians discourage you.. this is a country where my colleagues dont understand why i choose to change my engine oil and tranny fluid myself..instead of giving it to a mechanic, they say am stingy and all sorts of rubbish

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by earthrealm(m): 3:18pm On Jun 26, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

That was exactly what I suggested. Faster, cheaper, and it's harder to fvck up.

Where did you buy your wrap from? How much was needed, and how much did it cost?

I'm considering wrapping my car, and I'll almost definitely do it myself.
@ pic isnt mine..
i aborted the wrap ops, based on cost and shipping time..took the car to a conventional spray paint shop.. i intend to take my time, and buy the wrap ali e xpress and probablly use it to cover scratches and dinges on various matching sections of the car, when it comes up.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jun 26, 2020
Don't forget to snap and post the step by step process when you begin.

I hope it comes out great. I am cheering for you sir.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 7:58am On Jun 29, 2020
earthrealm:

@ pic isnt mine..
i aborted the wrap ops, based on cost and shipping time..took the car to a conventional spray paint shop.. i intend to take my time, and buy the wrap ali e xpress and probablly use it to cover scratches and dinges on various matching sections of the car, when it comes up.

I did consider wrapping my car. I did a comprehensive search for a suitable wrap on AliExpress but didn't get any that would match the OEM paint. I want to stick with the factory colour. That means I am only considering a silver glossy wrap which I didn't see a match.

The second issue was that my car needs panel beating. This means that to wrap the car, i still have to do all what is required to prepare the car for paint. Also, wrapping requires a second skilled pair of hand.

1 Like

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by dicksonadams(m): 8:01am On Jun 29, 2020
Boss success all th way, we can't wait to see your finished work
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by ksmart027(m): 1:41pm On Jul 01, 2020
earthrealm:

@ pic isnt mine..

please, do you have any idea the cost of the carbon fibre and how many wrap will cover a whole car.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by earthrealm(m): 1:50pm On Jul 01, 2020
ksmart027:

please, do you have any idea the cost of the carbon fibre and how many wrap will cover a whole car.
Search on aliexpress. Search for karlor
Suvs need more sheets. With the roof being the biggest element.
Simply measure/estimate the area of various secrions of the car...total it and use it to buy.
Best to buy single continous sheets.
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by ksmart027(m): 4:07pm On Jul 01, 2020
earthrealm:

Search on aliexpress. Search for karlor
Suvs need more sheets. With the roof being the biggest element.
Simply measure/estimate the area of various secrions of the car...total it and use it to buy.
Best to buy single continous sheets.
thanks, i will do that
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by ahahnow: 1:03am On Jul 05, 2020
Ivyhairline 
Fcmb 

Whoever owns that account scammed me. Ladies beware. I am still waiting for my wig since March
Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by Cashappactivate(m): 7:59am On Jul 13, 2020
A good website with quality that makes us more knowledgeable is a good website that has many benefits for us to get new information all the time. If you are facing any Cash App issue so instant get help with experts +1-855(459)1007 or Visit my blog:
https:///3gE3e8c
https:///3f3Iu9u
https:///31RuDiH
https:///3ixASxX
https:///38w4s2z
https:///2DgQje5
https:///2ZD6sBS
https:///2D5HWlc
https:///2DccX75

Re: I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? by adanny01(m): 9:29pm On Jul 14, 2020
I have not had time recently and things went south yesterday. Too many hurdles on this journey.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ford Cars Quite Explicit / Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them / List Of 24 Cars You Should Never Buy By Nigerian Twitter User (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.