Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,120 members, 7,860,048 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:56 AM

Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad - Nairaland / General (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad (106503 Views)

I Now Have One Hundred TRILLION Dollars, So I Am A Celebrity (with Full Proof) / If You Are Asked Not To Talk For A Year And Get 1 Million Dollar? / Nairaland So Addictive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (101) (Go Down)

Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:37pm On Mar 17, 2011
^ Yep, Islam has a litany of borrowed traditions. The black slave that featured prominently in the early days was called Bilal, he was the first Mu'adhaan.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 10:50pm On Mar 17, 2011
^^It's like all the Abrahamic faiths (Islam, Judaism, Christianity) first encountered and related to the Dark skinned human as a Slave. hmm

Interesting thoughts there Isale. Interesting videos too

I will not be too surprised if there is a much deeper connection than we already know, one reason why I think dogma based religious arguments are silly.

You can't be too sure how or where your dogmatic practice originated from.  

@Isale, on books, I will try to do a small list soon. I'm currently reading The Honor Code: How Moral Revolutions Happen  by Kwame Anthony Appiah.

It is more of philosophy but less dense than most philosophy books i've read, very easy to read, so far at least, I'm about 25% in. Time is scarce these days. . .
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 11:10pm On Mar 17, 2011
I've pretended for years to attempt to become interested in philosophy and just can't. The closest I've come is Jostein Gaarder's Sophie's world. It was an excellent read for a lazy neophyte like me
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 11:20pm On Mar 17, 2011
naijababe:

^ Yep, Islam has a litany of borrowed traditions. The black slave that featured prominently in the early days was called Bilal, he was the first Mu'adhaan.

Yes, of course.  I just wasn't sure if we wanted to delve into that here.  The Adhan is actually supposed to have been another feature that was borrowed from Bilal, so I always felt that was very likely true.  The prostrations though from the video just really brought home the similarity to the movements in salat, the rukus, but most especially the sujud.

Kilode?!:

^^It's like all the Abrahamic faiths (Islam, Judaism, Christianity) first encountered and related to the Dark skinned human as a Slave. hmm

Interesting thoughts there Isale. Interesting videos too

I will not be too surprised if there is a much deeper connection than we already know, one reason why I think dogma based religious arguments are silly.

You can't be too sure how or where your dogmatic practice originated from.  

Yes, there is some similarity amongst all three, even if some don't want to admit it.

@Isale, on books, I will try to do a small list soon. I'm currently reading The Honor Code: How Moral Revolutions Happen  by Kwame Anthony Appiah.

It is more of philosophy but less dense than most philosophy books i've read, very easy to read, so far at least, I'm about 25% in. Time is scarce these days. . .

Thanks for that.  Of course, there is no rush whatsoever.  Any reading material is appreciated.  And, it need not be new material.  Actually, I prefer books that you read ages ago but have stayed in your mind and played a part in your knowledge, worldview, etc.  Same for anyone reading this. wink  I still want to read those Fagunwa books we previously discussed.  As I mentioned, I read one when I was a preteen and want to read it again.  

That would definitely be an activity worth posting about.  Eventually, I will compile a list of recommended reading materials covering various subjects, e.g., history, fiction, biography, etc.  But, for you and everyone, one book or more at a time anytime it comes to mind is sufficient.  There is no time frame for this.  As a notorious procrastinator, I may not do my part until summer.   smiley

E se.  cool
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 11:35pm On Mar 17, 2011
naijababe:

I've pretended for years to attempt to become interested in philosophy and just can't. The closest I've come is Jostein Gaarder's Sophie's world. It was an excellent read for a lazy neophyte like me

At the risk of losing some of my luster tongue, I will admit, just the thought of picking up a philosophical book and attempting to read it, does my head in.  I had to read some mind-bending ones in college and I display a couple of them prominently in my home so I can remember what I went through and why I chose Political Science instead of Philosophy as a major.  Funny thing is if you go forward in your Political Science studies, they give you a Doctor of Philosophy pali.  Someone's having a laugh at my expense, I think.  cheesy

Note: Just never mind my first sentence above, Kilode.  I'm gonna read that book you recommended.  Yes, indeed.  Or. . . you could, when you finish it, do a review or a summary so I can copy off of you.  hehehe.  I kid I jest.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 11:46pm On Mar 17, 2011
^ Don't know if you are asking Oga Kilode?! or me but here's a summary of Sophie's World copped off Amazon of course grin:

When 14-year-old Sophie encounters a mysterious mentor who introduces her to philosophy, mysteries deepen in her own life. Why does she keep getting postcards addressed to another girl? Who is the other girl? And who, for that matter, is Sophie herself? To solve the riddle, she uses her new knowledge of philosophy, but the truth is far stranger than she could have imagined. A phenomenal worldwide bestseller, SOPHIE'S WORLD sets out to draw teenagers into the world of Socrates, Descartes, Spinoza, Hegel and all the great philosophers. A brilliantly original and fascinating story with many twists and turns, it raises profound questions about the meaning of life and the origin of the universe.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 11:54pm On Mar 17, 2011
Sis,
Are you feeling mischievous today?  wink  hmmmm. My spidey sense are going bonkers. grin
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 12:01am On Mar 18, 2011
Mischief is my middlename in case you don't know  grin . Me thinks your spidey sense is just fine  cool
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 12:17am On Mar 18, 2011
I've heard about Sophies world, never read it though.

Ok I did not study philosophy, far from it, although I read a fair amount as part of my college requirement, my interest in it is more personal than academic. I'm not an expert in anyway at all. It still bores me but I find myself going back to read some Plato, Aristotle and Aquinas every now and then for perspective and Sophie Oluwole too(African philosophy ) They always leave me with more questions than answers.  

Naijababe I no be "Oga" o! shocked grin  Isale you started the "Oga" thing Shey?
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 12:23am On Mar 18, 2011
Kilode?!:

Naijababe I no be "Oga" o! shocked grin  Isale you started the "Oga" thing Shey?

I did not! But I shall cease and desist, with alacrity! cheesy
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 12:28am On Mar 18, 2011
^^ It's easier for me to accuse you, so carry the cross jejely. tongue

The Fagunwa (Ogboju Ode) excerpts will have to be in Yoruba to carry the right literary punch, excerpts from Soyinka's English translation can substitute though.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 2:42am On Mar 18, 2011
Since this is foreign affairs, I should post a video of one of my occasional indulgences. 

I think Jon Stewart "owned" US Republican hypocrites in this video by mocking their support for Tax cuts (for the rich) while they are demanding lower teachers pay and union busting initiatives.

US conservatives find it easier to ask 17-18 year old kids to go fight in a war in the name of collective principles like "responsibility" "bravery" and "patriotism", but they are not ready to open their pockets up and save their government and poor Americans from a depressing budget-deficit economy. undecided 

Their double standard is truly disgusting.

See the video for more examples of puke-inducing double standards.

[flash=590,340]http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:thedailyshow.com:376266" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed>[/flash]
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 3:06am On Mar 18, 2011
Kilode?!:

Since this is foreign affairs, I should post a video of one of my occasional indulgences. 

Thanks for keeping us honest, Kilode. I certainly wasn't about to post anything foreign Affairs-related anytime soon.  grin

I think Jon Stewart "owned" US Republican hypocrites in this video by mocking their support for Tax cuts (for the rich) while they are demanding lower teachers pay and union busting initiatives.

That was wild!  And cameos by a litany of Fox News regulars too.  Stewart has infused the show with much more politics than was ever intended but it is paying off for him and Comedy Central bigtime.

US conservatives find it easier to ask 17-18 year old kids to go fight in a war in the name of collective principles like "responsibility" "bravery" and "patriotism", but they are not ready to open their pockets up and save their government and poor Americans from a depressing budget-deficit economy. undecided

Yup!  Off to war at 18, and they can't even legally drown their sorrows in vodka before they ship out. Oh, well.  Semper Fidelis, Kiddos!  tongue
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 3:25am On Mar 18, 2011
This thread still dey?

awon ahewo lo po s'ori tiredi yii sha grin Now where is Dayo to complete the equation lipsrsealed tongue
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 3:35am On Mar 18, 2011
Kilode?!:

The Fagunwa (Ogboju Ode) excerpts will have to be in Yoruba to carry the right literary punch, excerpts from Soyinka's English translation can substitute though.

It better be in Yoruba!  It must!  I insist.  You don't want the full tantrumnic Isale O.  Beware.  smiley

P.S. Just the book titles are fine too, if that's more readily available. Once I read them, I can do the excerpts at a later date. smiley
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 3:39am On Mar 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

This thread still dey? 

It will take you a couple of days to catch up where you left off.  cool Or a week.  Same difference.  cheesy
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 3:43am On Mar 18, 2011
isale_gan2:

It will take you a couple of days to catch up where you left off. cool Or a week. Same difference. cheesy

Cant you just be nice and summarize. . . . sad kiss

Has anyone seen that ashewo dayo today? cheesy
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 1:29pm On Mar 18, 2011
blacksta:

shakes my head

foreign affairs they will not discuss - shocked

dem dey post orin ira nu

Did you call Sikiru Ayinde Barrister "orin iranu"? We will revoke your Nigerian and Yoruba citizenship, you OMO IRANU! grin
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 18, 2011
Abeg tell me where to get the Fagunwa books, I tried to no avail on my last trip to lasgidi. I think I once saw Soyinka's translation of Ogboju Ode on Amazon, but only the Yoruba version will do.

I have fond memories of watching adaptations of Igbo Olodumare and Ireke Onibudo on TV. Somebody tell me where to get these books
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 4:32pm On Mar 18, 2011
^^ Lagos might be the wrong place to search. Try those small bookstores around University of Ibadan. Or go into the Yoruba hinterland. A friend bought ogboju ode at Akure recently at one of those obscure bookstores. Try those Yoruba cities outside Lagos.

Everybody for lasgidi wan teach their pikin fone English now so they ignore Yoruba literature. undecided

If all else fails, visit Nelson Pitman publishers (formerly Thomas Nelson) I think they are in Ikeja. They published the last Ogboju Ode edition I saw. And if you get lucky, let us know, I want to buy the rest of the series, I only have Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irunmole.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 6:02pm On Mar 18, 2011
Kilode and naijababe,

I used to order Soyinka's books direct from the publisher.  I'll see what I can find on Fagunwa etc.  It's just easier sometimes to get those books directly from the publisher or retailer than wait for someone in Naija to go buy it and mail/ship it to me.  Instant gratification and all that. 

Kilode?!:

Everybody for lasgidi wan teach their pikin fone English now so they ignore Yoruba literature.  undecided

That's a shame.  I would insist my children's first language be Yoruba, no matter where we are.  I've seen it being done.  I know other Nigerians who were able to do that very effectively, and some without any preplanning - the children pickup from the parents and from others around.  I've seen 2-year-old Naija and Mexican kids who speak their own languages and English very well for their age.

Ileke-IdI:

Cant you just be nice and summarize. . . . sad kiss

Has anyone seen that ashewo dayo today?  cheesy

Dayokanu is a rolling stone, wherever he lays his head is his home.  He'll show up when he wants.  FStranger is missed though.  You might have better luck finding him.  Go on.  grin
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:05pm On Mar 18, 2011
Everybody for lasgidi wan teach their pikin fone English now so they ignore Yoruba literature
D tin tire person abeg!!! Small time now dem go begin why kids get identity crisis.

That's a shame.  I would insist my children's first language be Yoruba, no matter where we are.  I've see it been done.  I know other Nigerians who were able to do that very effectively, and some without any preplanning - the children pickup from the parents and from others around.  I've seen 2-year-old Naija and Mexican kids who speak their own languages and English very well for their age.

It's easier than people think, we speak strictly Yoruba at home and my kids understand perfectly, although my daughter's Yoruba is more Anago than Yoruba  grin
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 9:01pm On Mar 18, 2011
Link to the Presidential Debate.  Missed most of it, except the Closing Statements, but hope to see the whole thing later.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ribadu-adeola-2011#utm_campaigne=synclickback&source=http://unotechmedia.com/livestream/index.htm&medium=7594054
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 1:36pm On Mar 19, 2011
If you're so inclined, please go to here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=624742.msg7930999#msg7930999 (Long Lost Love/ The One That Got Away) and share your story.  Or, better still, share it with your special NL family right here in my fabulous thread.  All the better to be able to poke fun at you anytime I want.

I didn't share mine, but may do so soon.  You wanna hear?  One person has to share theirs here and then I will seriously consider it.  wink
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 1:39pm On Mar 19, 2011
Foreign Affairs:  
http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN/

I've been following public opinion in USA about the US-led movement to bring other countries into the Libya conflict.

Maybe I'm jaded, but it always surprises me when people are incredulous that a "peace-loving" US president wants to invade another country, for whatever stated or implied reason.  All American presidents follow the same dictum when it comes to their "national interest."  And BLACK GOLD and the USA's unfettered access to it is of vital national interest.  Believe it!

Obama will blow-up a Sudanese panadol factory and pretend he is rooting out terrorists just as quickly as Clinton or Bush or whoever the next peacenik female liberal president that gets elected.  Some things will never change.  Deal with it.  

BTW, gas prices have gone up again - $3.95 a gallon.  Yup.  

Now, moving on to Nigeria electioneering. . .
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 1:41pm On Mar 19, 2011
Still GEJ's Election To Lose

There's been talk, speculation and opinions about President Goodluck Jonathan missing the first presidential debate.  A whole lot of hand-wringing. 

A lot of people feel insulted that he did not participate.  I don't.  Think about it:

-  GEJ is leading at the moment and will very likely garner the most votes to retain his position, considering his challengers have to share the opposition votes between them. Show me any polls to the contrary.

-  After a while, you reach a point of diminishing returns.  If he is leading, why subject himself to unnecessary scrutiny.  Standing there while the other desperate challengers thrown questions or barbs at him can only take away from him.  One or more of them will make a very good point that may sway a few lukewarm supporters or undecided voters. 

-  Political candidates have to do this all the time - make politically motivated moves and take calculated risks.  It is not personal.  It is politics.  You want to win!  After the election, once you're secured the seat, then you can go make your apologies and promise the people you will have all of their interests at heart, even the ones that didn't vote for you.  Yeah, right!  grin

Buhari vs Ribadu vs. Shekarau

So, a lot of very smart, discerning Nigerians support Buhari.  I can't help but wonder how that would have turned out were Idiagbon still alive.  Are these people supporting Buhari for him or for his administration which most people thought was really Idiagbon's administration?  We'll never know, but I also see the promise that Buhari holds.  I'm not knocking them for liking the former head-of-state.

I was never really sold on Ribadu.  Running off when the going gets tough?  And being too close to OBJ.  Also, he sucked at the debates. Too bad the ACN are stuck with him.

I didn't know much about Shekarau but he seems to be garnering more support and esteem the more we see of him.  Probably a force to contend with in national politics for some time to come.

GEJ might actually have a challenge on his hands if all the candidates can coalesce and join forces either behind Buhari or behind Shekarau.  Highly unlikely at this point.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by OAM4J: 3:47pm On Mar 19, 2011
isale_gan2:

Link to the Presidential Debate.  Missed most of it, except the Closing Statements, but hope to see the whole thing later.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ribadu-adeola-2011#utm_campaigne=synclickback&source=http://unotechmedia.com/livestream/index.htm&medium=7594054

now on youtube

[flash=640,390]http://www.youtube.com//v/NrqySLhxeTk[/flash]
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 9:54pm On Mar 19, 2011
isale_gan2:

Still GEJ's Election To Lose

There's been talk, speculation and opinions about President Goodluck Jonathan missing the first presidential debate.  A whole lot of hand-wringing. 

A lot of people feel insulted that he did not participate.  I don't.  Think about it:

-  GEJ is leading at the moment and will very likely garner the most votes to retain his position, considering his challengers have to share the opposition votes between them. Show me any polls to the contrary.

-  After a while, you reach a point of diminishing returns.  If he is leading, why subject himself to unnecessary scrutiny.  Standing there while the other desperate challengers thrown questions or barbs at him can only take away from him.  One or more of them will make a very good point that may sway a few lukewarm supporters or undecided voters. 

-  Political candidates have to do this all the time - make politically motivated moves and take calculated risks.  It is not personal.  It is politics.  You want to win!  After the election, once you're secured the seat, then you can go make your apologies and promise the people you will have all of their interests at heart, even the ones that didn't vote for you.  Yeah, right!  grin

The demographics that wanted him to come on NN24 are obviously more educated, more exposed, probably more influenced by political practices in other big democracies abroad than most Nigerians. IMO, they will not vote GEJ anyway. So If GEJ was trying to avoid their scrutiny, he can't.

BUT as per millions of local regular oppressed Nigerians, driven by religious/ethnic sentiments, with little to no access to information and the sophistication to analyse political issues, It does not matter who wins a debate, the constant adverts on NTA by PDP, the inept Police service and the fear of harrassment will ensure their "votes" go to the ruling party, and there's nothing they will do about it this year. The foundation is still faulty.

Buhari vs Ribadu vs. Shekarau

So, a lot of very smart, discerning Nigerians support Buhari.  I can't help but wonder how that would have turned out were Idiagbon still alive.  Are these people supporting Buhari for him or for his administration which most people thought was really Idiagbon's administration?  We'll never know, but I also see the promise that Buhari holds.  I'm not knocking them for liking the former head-of-state.

For me Buhari, is a necessary evil, the need for change overrides any other reservations I have about him, and I have some.

I was never really sold on Ribadu.  Running off when the going gets tough?  And being too close to OBJ.  Also, he sucked at the debates. Too bad the ACN are stuck with him.

Ribadu, same as above.

I didn't know much about Shekarau but he seems to be garnering more support and esteem the more we see of him.  Probably a force to contend with in national politics for some time to come.

The current madness over Shekarau's supposed Eloquence is silly and embarrassing to me personally as a Nigerian. Because he sabi speak English? 

I fail to see that the fuss is all about.

The guy gave no me no answer I can point to as adequate, He cuts the picture of a regular anything-goes Nigerian politician and I wonder what he did in Kano that is so amazing, Lagos I know, Kano?

Shekarau is just another BS talking politician with a better command of English than the others.

GEJ might actually have a challenge on his hands if all the candidates can coalesce and join forces either behind Buhari or behind Shekarau.  Highly unlikely at this point.

GEJ is going to win this election. Except there is a popular uprising or he suddenly drops dead. I see no other outcome.

BUT,

I'm glad that Nigerians appear to be more aware and better informed than they were in 2003, 2007, I have great hope for my people and my country. The unrepentant looters will win this one for sure, but I see my people getting more powerful.

So I agree, only GEJ can defeat himself in this election. . .
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 3:23am On Mar 20, 2011
If you haven't seen the moon tonight, please run right out and take a look!  Amazing!  Looks like its gonna drop on ya.  shocked

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/19/6304483-supermoon-rises-saturday-night

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDg1Twa3ItMHenWiAhW97c8D_CxH2CsIjumV74u2PwP5kFAIYF[/img]
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by OAM4J: 3:57am On Mar 20, 2011
^Yeah, its full moon here too, but you know how much you see depends on your location right?
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 4:18am On Mar 20, 2011
It's been a couple of hours for me. I didn't get to take a picture, but it was massive! Frightening, even. What does it look like where you are? OMG! Thank god a friend had warned me about it this morning before I saw it. Would have thought I was going bonkers. Supposedly, it last happened in '93.

It's not just a full moon o.

Super Moon, it's called.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by OAM4J: 4:22am On Mar 20, 2011
ok, see what I mean, didn't know u were talking about super moon, I only see a full moon here.

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (101)

Jos Residents Lament As Weather Drops To 9°C (Photos) / How To Check If Your Sim Is Registered: Mtn; Glo; Etisalat; Airtel. / Massive Female Python Killed In Apapa - Conoil Fueling Station (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.