Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,009 members, 7,859,608 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 03:25 PM

Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad - Nairaland / General (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad (106493 Views)

I Now Have One Hundred TRILLION Dollars, So I Am A Celebrity (with Full Proof) / If You Are Asked Not To Talk For A Year And Get 1 Million Dollar? / Nairaland So Addictive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (101) (Go Down)

Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 8:09pm On Apr 25, 2011
isale_gan2:

Yoruba Language - Lesson 1

Assignment:
1) TRANSLATE into English;
2) State the DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY of translation, using a rating of 1-5, 1 being easy Yoruba that a 12 yr old bilingual speaker should know, and 5 being Yoruba so hard and obsolete only a grandfather or a Yoruba college major would understand.

I am serious. Everyone (reading it) has to do this! cool

Nigba ti iriri aye ba n fa irewesi, ti omo adari hu'run si n ba'nilokan je,
je ki ero re sinmi lori ileri is'ododo mi pelu re. Bi o tile je pe n' ko ni
agbara lati mu iji aye duro tabi yi okan omo eniyan pada; tuju ka ore mi,
ki osi ma ranti lati je ki okan re maa yo nitoripe igba kan o lo bi orere,
bee si ni aye kii to bi opaa 'bon.

L'otito ni pe Eledua ni kan ni ore ododo, bee si ni ko s'alatileyin kan bi
oba oga ogo, oba alara; ireti mi wa ninu Oluwa, okan mi si ni 'gbagbo pe
ara ire ni yio ma fi wa da. Sibe sibe, mo na owo isore alai l'ero idale si
o, mo si lero fun itewogba aise'yemeji, nitori wipe mo mo pe gbogbo omo
adamo lo ni lo imule tii je ki agbelebu aye fuye fun ni lati gbe.

Mo wa fun o, mo si s'leri lati fi gbogbo ohun ti moni ba o lo, ipinu mi ni
lati ba o dun nu ni gba opo, ba k' edun ni gba ti sonmoni ba lo tiirin.

Ni igbagbo pe n o ma fe o titi lai, k'eledua o ran mi lowo (ASE).

You dey practise wedding vows ni ? shocked

Se o fe se igbeyawo ni?

Invite us to come chop Iyan and Obe Isapa o cheesy
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by AjanleKoko: 8:15pm On Apr 25, 2011
dayokanu:

I heard you are hoarding the much needed Toto,

Either you or isale better release it sharp sharp

What if I told you Toto is the name of a manufacturer of plumbing accessories? Check out their product line here.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 8:18pm On Apr 25, 2011
Kilode?!:

You dey practise wedding vows ni ? shocked

Se o fe se igbeyawo ni?

Invite us to come chop Iyan and Obe Isapa o cheesy

Kilode?! Kilode?! Kilode?!  How many times did I call your name?

Do you think I could write something like that? lol.  Well, I could transcribe it if someone was talking I guess.

How hard do you think it is?  Come on now.  angry  smiley
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 8:30pm On Apr 25, 2011
isale_gan2:

Kilode?! Kilode?! Kilode?!

Okunrin lon ke si  cool

How hard do you think it is?  Come on now.  angry  smiley

I Think maybe 3/5 ?

I'm a very generous grader wink
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by OAM4J: 8:42pm On Apr 25, 2011
isale_gan2:

Assignment:
2) State the DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY of translation, using a rating of 1-5, 1 being easy Yoruba that a 12 yr old bilingual speaker should know, and 5 being Yoruba so hard and obsolete only a grandfather or a Yoruba college major would understand.

I am serious.  Everyone (reading it) has to do this!   cool

oba oga ogo, oba alara;  ireti mi wa ninu Oluwa, okan mi si ni 'gbagbo  pe
ara ire ni yio ma fi wa da. Sibe sibe, mo na owo isore alai l'ero idale  si

Ni igbagbo pe n o ma fe o titi  lai, k'eledua o ran mi lowo (ASE).

Dear Isale,

When the challenges of life make us faint and mankind brings us much sorrow, let your thoughts toward me be anchored on the faithfulness that exists between you and I.

Though I do not possess the power to calm/stop the storms of life or change peoples minds, be cheerful my dear friend, and remember to let your heart rejoice because no season remains forever and life is not bigger than the riffle.

It is true that Only God is a true friend and there is no other support like the Lord of Glory, the king of wonders; my hope is in the Lord, and my heart believes that He will perform good wonders with us.

But still, I extend a trustworthy hand of friendship to you, And I expect an acceptance that’s is devoid of any doubt, because I know all mankind need someone faithful that will allow the carrying of life crosses become bearable/lighter.

I am for you, and I promise to love you with all my belongings. My resolution is to rejoice with you when you are happy and share in your sorrow. Have faith that I will love you forever.

May God help me. (Amen)

Yours truly

OAM4J  kiss

Difficulty Rate: 3.5
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 8:48pm On Apr 25, 2011
Kilode?!:

Okunrin lon ke si  cool

I Think maybe 3/5 ?

I'm a very generous grader wink

Talk to the hand!  angry

Someone else translated the letter.  cool [s]You can redeem yourself by submitting your own. [/s]  

P.S. The rating is for how hard it is to translate. What are you grading? How good the letter is?
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 8:57pm On Apr 25, 2011
OAM4J:

Dear Isale,

When the challenges of life make us faint and mankind brings us much sorrow, let your thoughts toward me be anchored on the faithfulness that exists between you and I.

Though I do not possess the power to calm/stop the storms of life or change peoples minds, be cheerful my dear friend, and remember to let your heart rejoice because no season remains forever and life is not bigger than the riffle.

It is true that Only God is a true friend and there is no other support like the Lord of Glory, the king of wonders; my hope is in the Lord, and my heart believes that He will perform good wonders with us.

But still, I extend a trustworthy hand of friendship to you, And I expect an acceptance that’s is devoid of any doubt, because I know all mankind need someone faithful that will allow the carrying of life crosses become bearable/lighter.

I am for you, and I promise to love you with all my belongings. My resolution is to rejoice with you when you are happy and share in your sorrow. Have faith that I will love you forever.

May God help me. (Amen)

Yours truly

OAM4J  kiss

Difficulty Rate: 3.5

Great! Thanks. That was really hard to translate. Don't you agree that it is not everyday Yoruba that people speak to each other? It's not even the kind of Yoruba you would typically write someone. Am I wrong? I always make excuses that it's due to the lack of accents or tonal markings on the vowels when I have trouble reading Yoruba, but in this case, even the words were hard to identify.

The degree of difficulty of understanding it is like a 5, if you ask me. smiley
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by OAM4J: 9:09pm On Apr 25, 2011
True, this kind of Yoruba only exists in the textbooks, Yoruba dramas and among the elders.

The Yoruba many of us speak now is what my late grandma called adalu dapo. (mixtures of many)

Its usually some simple Yoruba words with English verbs and some slangs.

For example: 'Isale, se mo pe mo love e pa' ('pa' is a slang for 'very much' which in real Yoruba should have been gan or pupo)

Anyway, all languages are dynamic including English.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 9:13pm On Apr 25, 2011
isale_gan2:

P.S. The rating is for how hard it is to translate. What are you grading? How good the letter is?

My rating was for how simple the Yoruba is IMO  cool

1 = Very easy
5 = Conc. Ijinle

Clients go vex, no time to translate now o.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 9:43pm On Apr 25, 2011
OAM4J:

True, this kind of Yoruba only exists in the textbooks, Yoruba dramas and among the elders.

There is it!  Thank you o jare.  Tough for anyone.  Well, the writer is exceptional.  Cos I couldn't write like that even if I undertake to immerse myself in Yoruba literature and nothing but, for the next 6 months straight.  lol.

"Pa" is now also a slang which has been redefined to mean "very much," but the original Yoruba meaning conveys an idea of death or cessation (of something), does it not?  Like, "pa ri e."  I'm prob getting too technical now.  smiley
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 9:47pm On Apr 25, 2011
Translated: cool

When the vicissitudes of life depresses you, when man breaks your heart, anchor your thoughts on our shared covenant of faithfulness.

Although, I may not not have the powers to stop the storms of life or change the hearts of men;  Be cheerful my friend, let your heart rejoice because of the fleeting nature of time, because life does not follow time like a gun's shaft follows its handle.

It is true, God is the only true friend, there is no comforter or backbone like the king of glory, the wonderful God; My hope lies in the Lord, My heart trusts in his protective hands.

Still, I stretch out my hands of loyalty and friendship towards you, that you may take it without second thoughts, because I know every man needs a covenant that helps lessen the weight of life.

I'm yours, I make a promise to share all I have with you, a promise to rejoice with you in the times of plenty, and to sympathise and stand by you in your moments of despair.

In the hope that my love will be forever, May God be my strength. Amen

You must tell that guy to pay us something o, I don't write wedding vows for free o lipsrsealed
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 9:48pm On Apr 25, 2011
No worries, Kilode?!  I forgot some are working the day after Easter.  smiley  Now I know where you are definitely probably not.  cool

Okay, I won't speculate on it (ur location or i.d.) again.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 9:55pm On Apr 25, 2011
^^ Restless warriors don't usually take vacations. cool

When they do, they are like ambassadors, they observe all holidays, both home and abroad.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 9:55pm On Apr 25, 2011
Kilode?!:

Translated: cool

When the vicissitudes of life depresses you, when man breaks your heart, anchor your thoughts on our shared covenant of faithfulness.

Although, I may not not have the powers to stop the storms of life or change the hearts of men;  Be cheerful my friend, let your heart rejoice because of the fleeting nature of time, because life does not follow time like a gun's shaft follows its handle.

It is true, God is the only true friend, there is no comforter or backbone like the king of glory, the wonderful God; My hope lies in the Lord, My heart trusts in his protective hands.

Still, I stretch out my hands of loyalty and friendship towards you, that you may take it without no second thoughts, because I know every man needs a covenant that helps lessen the weight of life.

I'm yours, I make a promise to share all I have with you, a promise to rejoice with you in the times of plenty, and to sympathise and stand by you in your moments of despair.

In the hope that my love will be forever, May God be my strength. Amen

Wow!  This is neat!  I want more translations now. I've gotten greedy. lol.  

You must tell that guy to pay us something o, I don't write wedding vows for free o lipsrsealed

For all you know, I could have lifted it from a textbook, or someone's old homework book.  When I was in school in Naija, a couple of times we actually had to write letters in Yoruba.  But that was kids stuff compared to this.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:03pm On Apr 25, 2011
Hey kiddos! What did I miss?
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:13pm On Apr 25, 2011
isale_gan2:

Assignment:

I am serious.  Everyone (reading it) has to do this!   cool

oba oga ogo, oba alara;  ireti mi wa ninu Oluwa, okan mi si ni 'gbagbo  pe
ara ire ni yio ma fi wa da. Sibe sibe, mo na owo isore alai l'ero idale  si

Ni igbagbo pe n o ma fe o titi  lai, k'eledua o ran mi lowo (ASE).

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked I won't even dare!!! My yoruba no reach this kind level o, OAM4J you try o. kilode? na u write the thing? This na 8/5 for me o
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 10:16pm On Apr 25, 2011
naijababe:

Hey kiddos! What did I miss?

Do the assignment, please.  

Get a load of the translations so far.  cool  You see all these people who are a credit to Yoruba culture, huh?  Aintcha proud?  I am not worthy!  

Part of the motive here is to assuage my own feeling of inadequacy when it comes to my language - THE language.  I insist the letter is written in an almost  obsolete Yoruba language, not day-to-day conversational vernacular.  Certainly nothing close to the creole I try to pass off as Yo'oba. lol.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 10:21pm On Apr 25, 2011
naijababe:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked I won't even dare!!! My yoruba no reach this kind level o, OAM4J you try o. kilode? na u write the thing? This na 8/5 for me o

I just noticed that you are actually an agitprop. You stir the pot. Don't know why I never noticed till now. God protect people like me sha. At least its not a sin to be naive and gullible. tongue

You on the other hand. . . grin
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:32pm On Apr 25, 2011
isale_gan2:

I just noticed that you are actually an[b] agitprop[/b]. You stir the pot. Don't know why I never noticed till now. God protect people like me sha. At least its not a sin to be naive and gullible. tongue

You on the other hand. . . grin

Helep me somebody! Isale forgets that i'm an airhead masquerading to be cool. Someone tell me what the bolded means
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 10:38pm On Apr 25, 2011
naijababe:

Helep me somebody! Isale forgets that i'm an airhead masquerading to be cool. Someone tell me what the bolded means

Yeah, right!  Can I say your profession, or is it classified? 

An Agit-Prop is an Agitator-Propagandist.  One of those terms used more often in political science class and less so in day-to-day political discourse.

You, my friend, are a pot-stirrer troublemaker.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 10:44pm On Apr 25, 2011
Isale uses so much liberal arts lingo, she'll make pure science people have inferiority complex cheesy
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 10:47pm On Apr 25, 2011
naijababe:

And what in carnation is 8/5 on a scale of 1-5?  grin  Didn't you have to pass Math before they gave you all those Palis from Oyinbo schools?  I admit I suck at Math, but it don't look kosher to me.  That's all I'm saying.

Kilode?!:

Isale uses so much liberal arts lingo, she'll make pure science people have inferiority complex  cheesy

Kilode,
No! Don't fall for it!  shocked She's trying to lull you into a false sense of security, so you would underestimate her.  Then, when you least expect it, she'll pull the rug out from under you!
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:50pm On Apr 25, 2011
Kilode?!:

Isale uses so much liberal arts lingo, she'll make pure science people have inferiority complex cheesy

Honestly, i'm so clueless now, i think i need to go back to school. She forgets I'm an ara oko after all
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 10:54pm On Apr 25, 2011
Is it too late to say, I actually am enamoured of "pure science" people? cool
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by OAM4J: 10:59pm On Apr 25, 2011
You people should take it easy on some of us who went to Ifowosowopo community schools, Abulu Muwonleru in Okokomaiko

I no sabi all these turenshi - ede geesi you una dey throw up and down. Some of us only get Standard 8 abeg.   angry
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 25, 2011
isale_gan2:

And what in carnation is 8/5 on a scale of 1-5?  grin  Didn't you have to pass Math before they gave you all those Palis from Oyinbo schools?  I admit I suck at Math, but it don't look kosher to me.  That's all I'm saying.

Kilode,
No! Don't fall for it!  shocked She's trying to lull you into a false sense of security, so you would underestimate her.  Then, when you least expect it, she'll pull the rug out from under you!

Who told you i have a pali?

Can I just say that all I've gotten from Isale today is just abuse. Hope y'all are paying attention now. Igba t'esinsin j'elegbo, enikan o gbo o. I dont want to see any teary smileys when I unleash my wrath o
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Nobody: 11:03pm On Apr 25, 2011
@ OAM4J, your own better now, what about certified ara oko like me? At least your own na Okokomaiko - shebi Lagos ni yen, me wey come from Awori hinterland nko?
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 11:09pm On Apr 25, 2011
naijababe:

Who told you i have a pali?

And you deliberately [b]bolded [/b]the wrong paragraph just to prove how "ara-oko" you are, right?  I can read you like a book!  

Can I just say that all I've gotten from Isale today is just abuse. Hope y'all are paying attention now. Igba t'esinsin j'elegbo, enikan o gbo o. I dont want to see any teary smileys when I unleash my wrath o

"Wrath."  lipsrsealed
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 11:09pm On Apr 25, 2011
Isale, enamored? As in your Right brain seeking Left brain balance? Hmm

False sense of security? Another liberal art register shey?  wink

Naijababe can't fool us anymore. She obviously sits in a pent house corner office with a magnificent view of the North sea. lipsrsealed
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by OAM4J: 11:11pm On Apr 25, 2011
naijababe:

@ OAM4J, your own better now, what about certified ara oko like me? At least your own na Okokomaiko - shebi Lagos ni yen, me wey come from Awori hinterland nko?

Abeg no compare yourself with me jor, at least you benefited from your Awori cooperative development fund wey dem take sponsor you go obodo oyinbo.

Me abi like Jonathan, wey no get school bag or school sandals, even if dem dash me school bag, I no get textbooks, and untop bad my papa no name me Goodluck, maybe i for don get luck.
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by isalegan2: 11:14pm On Apr 25, 2011
OAM4J:

You people should take it easy on some of us who went to [b]Ifowosowopo [/b]community schools, Abulu Muwonleru in Okokomaiko

I no sabi all these turenshi - ede geesi you una dey throw up and down. Some of us only get Standard 8 abeg.   angry

Don't start.   cheesy

Ifowosowopo koo, Ifowonfoloke nii.  tongue
Re: Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad by Kilode1: 11:15pm On Apr 25, 2011
At least Jonathan still go school without shoes but with uniform, me wey I wear only singlet reach Standard 6 nko?

Hmmm, we thank God sha. embarassed

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (101)

Jos Residents Lament As Weather Drops To 9°C (Photos) / How To Check If Your Sim Is Registered: Mtn; Glo; Etisalat; Airtel. / Massive Female Python Killed In Apapa - Conoil Fueling Station (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.