Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? (28140 Views)

Quit Notice To A Tenant / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? / My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 10, 2020
okine4real:

brother see, the rule is, the more they stay, the more they become a problem... when the time comes... i will do everything in mine power to make them leave willingly. i dont want anybody to suffer in mine house ohh, if you pay your rent, once there is issues, i attend to it. the have had issues with there pumping machine this year, i bought a new one, in less than 24 hours the water issue was corrected, the most of the tenants where not even aware of the water issue.. mine only problem with them would be, when the time to pay the rent.. i even made it simple, i told them pay me every 6 months not yearly so it would not be hard for them.

i just paid about 270k for the purchase of prepaid meters... the tenants are complaining that nepa bills given to them is high... a trying to solve hat one now. na only ikorodu be mine problem......
If your tenants are forthcoming with their rents, I don't see any Problems with the duration of stay in your property!!

Sometimes the tenants just prefer the certain locations because of the accessibility to their work place!!

Once again, I must commend you for prompt attention to repairs in your property!! It is rare!!!

7 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:08pm On Jun 10, 2020
obicoolnino:
To shit and not flush the toilet based on face me I slap u compound, some people are pigs.
Lol i wonder how some people can be this way

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by okine4real: 2:10pm On Jun 10, 2020
eni4real:
If your tenants are forthcoming with their rents, I don't see any Problems with the duration of stay in your property!!

Sometimes the tenants just prefer the certain locations because of the accessibility to their work place!!

Once again, I must commend you for prompt attention to repairs in your property!! It is rare!!!

Thanks.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Oyerinde16(m): 2:10pm On Jun 10, 2020
I'm a tenant, I was deceived to rent a house for 220k... I was told its borehole running water, prepaid meter etc...

Its a decking house, the up hasn't being build but the house is good. When I went for inspection I was shown the borehole switch, and told the land lord will install the meter as soon as I entered the house...

On packing into the house, I discovered there was no borehole, it was a well pump switch that was shown to me...

To crown it, 6month into my rent, no prepaid meter, its still estimated billing... Raining season has started and the decking is a leaking basket... Water pours uncontrollably during rain...

I want my rent expire, then I will use 6 month without paying as compensation before packing out before the next raining season... Am I partial.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by gift2xl: 2:13pm On Jun 10, 2020
I dislike staying in the same compound with the landlord. With my first experience, before your rent expired they have collected the next rent money " I beg give me 20k, 50, 80, 100k I want go settle important issue I beg your my only hope, I decide never to stay in the same compound with landlords ".

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:15pm On Jun 10, 2020
manuel4real:
light Is a major problem amongst tenants as far as I am concerned, my mum had to buy prepaid meter for her tenants just to settle this matter.

E no reach 1-month see these guys go bypass the stuff lipsrsealed

But there's this tenant a family actually, they packed into our house, the first year they paid 150k, that was August I think when time reach to renew rent, Na so so money no de we de hear for 2months till she finally paid. Before the next renewal she begged my mum to reduce the rent for her, that her husband does not do anything, she's the one taking care of everything in the family, my mum pitied her and removed 20k. when it was time to renew the rent story start again, firstly she paid 20k, in 3 months time she paid 50k, next 40k then 20k, Na so she pay house rent that year. But before she paid she informed my mum that her house needs maintenance, of which mumcy agreed to, unfortunately for her, something came up in her business and she needed lots of money to solve it, so she called this woman to explain to her, you need to see how this woman reacted, she didn't want to hear her out, she just hanged the call then call my brother and started shouting at him that she doesn't like such nonsense talk, saying all sorts of rubbish, the husband collected the phone and started shouting too saying he's a prince in his village and so on. Mehn, their statement angered my mum and she decided she won't maintain anything again, that if the house is no longer convenient for them, they should pack out when their rent expires.

Some people can be so ungrateful in this life

Yea true

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:16pm On Jun 10, 2020
gift2xl:
I dislike staying in the same compound with the landlord. With my first experience, before your rent expired they have collected the next rent money " I beg give me 20k, 50, 80, 100k I want go settle important issue I beg your my only hope, I decide never to stay in the same compound with landlords ".
Lol... Ok
Even though the topic is about tenants
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by NoToPile: 2:17pm On Jun 10, 2020
tonididdy:
the house I inherited from my late father... there's this tenant in the house, I have given them more than 7 quit notice with court orders but they refused to leave.
the tenant told me to my face, " I dey this house before them born you"... so I just let them be, when them get rent, them call me... I go go take otherwise I dash them the rooms before

well out of the blue, they called me and said they had moved out of the house.

I went to see for myself and truly they had packed out. the room condition was an eye sore. they trained chickens right in their living room. some people Sha...

grin grin cheesy grin

Pele looool and loool
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by simplesearch: 2:18pm On Jun 10, 2020
Landlords should be able to understand the psychology of each tenant they absolve into their system over a period of six month to a year of close or distant interaction. Undesratsnding the psychology of discriminarion will enable a Landlord deal relatively well with each tenant without developing HBP, take for instance a guy who pay 300k per year when things were good but suddenly couldnt cope with such yearly renewal as a result of dwindling fortune, what stops a good landlord from availing them the opportunity to cut the payment to suit their present condition. I mean if they cant cough out the 300k they are use to paying but can afford 150k for the next six month why not, or if it's 3month at 75k this is good business even if its 25k per month this is still a good business the bulk will still end up in your pocket at the end of the day and you'll be fine for it, that way you would have helped your tenant to take the line of least resistant consitent with their present condition. Some tenant can comfortably pay 25k per month on 3-BR flat but may find it difficult to gather 300k at once to pay upfront especially when things are a little down for them, that's how it's done abroad. In otherword, forcing a tenant to adapt to a payment format that's at variance with their present financial condition places every landlord in that category on the debtors scale as they are compelling them to pay you upfront without recourse, and this unpatriotic behaviour requires Govt intervention to possibly formulate a policy that will accomodate monthly tenancy as obtain in dev. countrries. My counsel therefore to all Landlord is that, If your tenent default in their rent renewal rather than threaten them with fire and brimstone why not get familarise with their present condition and if need be allow them adopt a payment model that match their pocket at that point in time, and should things peak up for them and they choose to revert back to the old sysyterm of payment that would be a voluntary and personal decision. If this becomes a general practice between tenants and Landlords there'll be no reason why both party won't be happy, and none will be unreasonable to play around each others intelligence. I didn't apportion blame on tenants in my write up because as a Landlord you make your tenant whatever he/she turn out to be by how well you handle them at the initial stage of defaulting.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by tpapi: 2:18pm On Jun 10, 2020
tonididdy:
the house I inherited from my late father... there's this tenant in the house, I have given them more than 7 quit notice with court orders but they refused to leave.
the tenant told me to my face, " I dey this house before them born you"... so I just let them be, when them get rent, them call me... I go go take otherwise I dash them the rooms before

I went to see for myself and truly they had packed out. the room condition was an eye sore. they trained chickens right in their living room. some people Sha...
why didnt u use the courts to evict them
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by melaninpop: 2:19pm On Jun 10, 2020
StillWiz:

No mind am he no know say na business not charity

Many tenants are deliberately wicked. I have learnt from what happened to my father, to never have mercy on a tenant who cannot pay his rent. If you cannot pay.....please pack.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:20pm On Jun 10, 2020
LaIabobo:
Tenants that'll owe and take you to court to delay time and stop their eviction after settling those broke magistrate court officials.

Tenants can be very Stubborn

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:21pm On Jun 10, 2020
afecgivers:
Warning!!! Some Tenants can kill landlord
I tell you
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by nasoeb: 2:21pm On Jun 10, 2020
Am currently skeptical in giving out one of mine because of issues like these. If you give to someone you know, some may/will turn around to take advantage of you, and if you give to thore you know nothing about, what then becomes of you.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:22pm On Jun 10, 2020
Nickshrapnel:
There was one dubious one who went to bypass the prepaid meter thereby attracting a N50k fine for me or the one who thought I had collected electricity/utilities bill with the house rent and so didn’t pay a dime until the expiration of his rent
I think the solution to the paying of nepa bill is to just include it in their rent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:25pm On Jun 10, 2020
nasoeb:
Am currently skeptical in giving out one of mine because of issues like these. If you give to someone you know, some may/will turn around to take advantage of you, and if you give to thore you know nothing about, what then becomes of you.
Rule number 1 : do not hire who you can’t fire. Don't give your house to your close friends they will take advantage of you.
Rule number 2: don't be too jovial with your tenants. Once they are comfortable with you they will start taking advantage.

10 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jun 10, 2020
I will be compassionate when I’m a landlord because sometimes the economy is just not good and someone could have lost business but sha the one I saw for one year they didn’t pay o and we said nothing just gave our lawyer the first lawyer bought pizza for us they still didn’t pay so we gave another experienced lawyer that one didn’t buy pizza but they paid and we bought our own pizza

After they paid the first lawyer sent receipt for payment it confuse us oooo

Please note it’s a humorous post
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:26pm On Jun 10, 2020
melaninpop:

Many tenants are deliberately wicked. I have learnt from what happened to my father, to never have mercy on a tenant who cannot pay his rent. If you cannot pay.....please pack.
The painful part is that after the eviction you still loose some rent money

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Sachiopropty(m): 2:29pm On Jun 10, 2020
Do you know about Tenancy Law..

Find out more ..www.sachiong.com
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by simplesearch: 2:31pm On Jun 10, 2020
okine4real:

brother see, the rule is, the more they stay, the more they become a problem... when the time comes... i will do everything in mine power to make them leave willingly. i dont want anybody to suffer in mine house ohh, if you pay your rent, once there is issues, i attend to it. the have had issues with there pumping machine this year, i bought a new one, in less than 24 hours the water issue was corrected, the most of the tenants where not even aware of the water issue.. mine only problem with them would be, when the time to pay the rent.. i even made it simple, i told them pay me every 6 months not yearly so it would not be hard for them.

i just paid about 270k for the purchase of prepaid meters... the tenants are complaining that nepa bills given to them is high... a trying to solve hat one now. na only ikorodu be mine problem......

You are one of the few Landlord around who understand the psychology of dealing with tenant. Every Landlord should be inform or train on this principles before they start letting out their property, otherwise the story line won't end. On a good scale only a very unreasonalbe tenant will choose not to pay their HR promptly, but sometimes they just don't have it all and may be wary to say it out, because most Landlord don't care especially in cities like ours. Whenever a tenant finds it difficult to pay their due upfront, instead of brandishing gun podwer before them why not allow them adopt a model most suitable to their pocket, provided all your money get to you eventually there should be no qualms.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:31pm On Jun 10, 2020
simplesearch:
Landlords should be able to understand the psychology of each tenant they absolve into their system over a period of six month to a year of close or distant interaction. Undesratsnding the psychology of discriminarion will enable a Landlord deal relatively well with each tenant without developing HBP, take for instance a guy who pay 300k per month when things were good but suddenly couldnt cope with such yearly renewal as a result of dwindling fortune, what stops a good landlord from availing them the opportunity to cut the payment to suit their present condition. I mean if they cant cough out the 300k they are use to paying but can afford 150k for the next six month why not, or if it's 3month at 75k this is good business even if its 25k per month this is still a good business the bulk will still end up in your pocket at the end of the day and you'll be fine for it, that way you would have helped your tenant to take the line of least resistant consitent with their present condition. Some tenant can comfortably pay 25k per month on 3-BR flat but may find it difficult to gather 300k at once to pay upfront especially when things are a little down for them, that's how it's done abroad. In otherword, forcing a tenant to adapt to a payment format that's at variance with their present financial condition places every landlord in that category on the debtors scale as they are compelling them to pay you upfront without recourse, and this unpatriotic behaviour requires Govt intervention to possibly formulate a policy that will accomodate monthly tenancy as obtain in dev. countrries. My counsel therefore to all Landlord is that, If your tenent default in their rent renewal rather than threaten them with fire and brimstone why not get familarise with their present condition and if need be allow them adopt a payment model that match their pocket at that point in time, and should things peak up for them and they choose to revert back to the old sysyterm of payment that would be a voluntary and personal decision. If this becomes a general practice between tenants and Landlords there'll no reason why both party won't be happy, and none will be unreasonable to play around each others intelligence. I didn't apportion blame on tenants in my write up because as a Landlord you make your tenant whatever he/she turn out to be by how well you handle them at the initial stage of defaulting.
I understand where you are coming from. We agree that there is financial issues.
But many tenants are stubborn. They sometimes want to use your simplicity as a advantage.
Some will tell u they will be paying bimonthly but still will be giving excuse.
I know of one who was complaining of rent money. It was just 30k per year but still went ahead and host wedding for his child.

6 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by SavageResponse(m): 2:32pm On Jun 10, 2020
gowonmaharajah:
thunder fire every wicked landlord/lady.
our landlady made my mama shed hot tears,not because we owed her rent or something. she was just plainly wicked on her.that was the day I swore to build a big mansion for my mama
the landlady died 9 days after we moved outta her house.
let her goan chop her house in heaven

The fact that someone is asking you to pay rent you owe her does not necessarily make her a wicked person!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by bnovative(m): 2:33pm On Jun 10, 2020
odunH:
Why create a problem when you the rules. Frustrating people for their pay because of a law isn’t a crime. Peace and wisdom should be involved in all we do. Landlord and tenant no Dey be friend, Na sense person Dey use.
If you think someone breaks the rules, there are procedures to get justice.
I don't do sentiment, that landlord was just lucky to have a tenant who doesn't know what the law says. You don't confiscate people's properties just because they owe you rent. It's not within your powers, no matter how right you think you are.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by NoToPile: 2:34pm On Jun 10, 2020
If I talk ehn book go full.

Mumsies tenants and their wahala.

The one that was reminded about his rent being due that said it skipped his mind grin grin grin

The ones that will never pay NEPA bills, you were owing about 24k and then prepaid came, ekedc diverted all the debt to the prepaid you now said you won't pay it ,you now expected the new tenant that came in that you are sharing the prepaid with that is not owing kobo to pay the debt on the prepaid, who does that.

The ones that always pay rent in arrears, you would have used 6months before paying 6 months rent again and then you use the next 6 months to be asking for rent (we felt maybe yearly rent is too much out be paying 6monthd now wahala again).

One is presently owing 7 months areas now, the money she dropped early this year will elapse november last year.

The one that was owing NEPA bills of 17k and couldn't pay 120k rent for self con, oya pack out now, we wipe off the 120k just pay the 17k NEPA bill as that one is not our own money its nepas money and it will reflect when prepaid comes. Shishi he didn't drop, we had to pay that debt when they installed the prepaid abi shey its new tenant that will pay debt on prepaid?

I must confess since we got the prepaid meters wahala has been reduced,although there's a stubborn one that is refusing to pay her own share as she is sharing a prepaid with another person, how will you expect someone to be buying units for you. How these people sleep at night baffles me.

I don't blame harsh landlords, in all honesty I don't. Those ones ehn you dare not try rubbish with them.

I also find it annoying when people think you are wicked when you ask them for rent.

8 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Amotekun777: 2:35pm On Jun 10, 2020
See as everybody dey form Landlord. angry

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:35pm On Jun 10, 2020
okine4real:
i have about 8 tenants in one of mine house, they have refused to pay mine rent for about three years now. the rent is 70k per annum, room and parlor self contain. the worst is, this guys are giving birth in mine house. To even go to mine house self they tire me... Because of how tenants behave in ikorodu, i decided not to build there anymore. Most of the tenants always behaving has if they have not eating for years, when i ask for rent na story, but they are lucky because i live very far from the said house so i cant really deal with them.... i also have another structure there, someone is leaving there free of charge.... the person only helps in cleaning the compound, mine friend put them there so as to secure the compound. so because of the ikorodu experience, i decided to build another structure close to where i leave, i leave somewhere around Jibowu Lagos.. after building the house, i rented it for 450k per annum and 50k service charge...total is 500k. i made the rent so high so that, all those people when never chop would not near mine house. i tried as much as i can to make the house very beautiful. If there is know light for even a year, the house has a generator that would be used to pump water, i made it clear, i dont want to see aboki selling water to the tenants, any security light that gets burnt will be replaced by me, if the pumping machine gets spoil, it would be fixed by me,payment for lawma is included in the service charge also with payment for the woman sweeping the compound, that was the reason i charged them service charge. Every tenants minds there business, even one of mine tenants changed his car after moving in. the main reason most landlords have problem wit tenants is because most of the tenants done too tey for the house so they become Gods... after like 7 years, i will increase the rent to like 600k or more, depending on what is obtainable. And i will not want to give mine room and parlor self contain to married people.. Even if you want to get married, they would either park out or give birth to lesser children may be two kids or maximum 3 kids. the fact is tenants that have these kind of mind set is different from those once when know get money yet born like 5 children still bring him relation come the house. so strategically i placed come factors before renting mine house house. bad tenants more worst than bad wife. Also dont make your rent cheap, when your rent is 200k for two bed room flat in a place like Jibowu... even when the occupants are not working, they will be able to pay the rent because with two direct from baba IJEBU THEY WILL HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY YOUR RENT, mean while, two bed room flat new house is 800k in Jibowu. But the bad part is such kind of tenants cannot do repairs in your house, if there are major damage, the damage would be left undone, and once left undone, the damage would keep expanding.... Also landlord should try and get prepaid meters for tenants, its expensive but when installed in a house, it reduces rift between landlord and tenant.

cheera

I like your input.
Thats very smart of u

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:37pm On Jun 10, 2020
Catabolism:
Mine is with a fellow tenant with which we share same meter.The guy cooperated at first as we usually share the light bill after some months na me come dey pay sake of say I get new born baby.The guy comes in very late and leaves very early.Later , I move out as the guy became an incurable debtor owing house rent,security and nepa bills.
There are good tenants and there are very bad tenants.
The bad ones like accumulating debt.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:38pm On Jun 10, 2020
tonididdy:

So you mean they ran out without paying rents
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:39pm On Jun 10, 2020
Donraqh:
OP you mean you did all these in this COVID-19? Hmmm

No. It took place last year
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by gowonmaharajah(m): 2:39pm On Jun 10, 2020
SavageResponse:

The fact that someone is asking you to pay rent you owe her does not necessarily make her a wicked person!
did you read where I clearly stated the issue wasn't in anyway related to rent?

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:41pm On Jun 10, 2020
gowonmaharajah:
thunder fire every wicked landlord/lady.
our landlady made my mama shed hot tears,not because we owed her rent or something. she was just plainly wicked on her.that was the day I swore to build a big mansion for my mama
the landlady died 9 days after we moved outta her house.
let her goan chop her house in heaven
Sorry for that

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by RealEzee(m): 2:41pm On Jun 10, 2020
okine4real:
i have about 8 tenants in one of mine house, they have refused to pay mine rent for about three years now. the rent is 70k per annum, room and parlor self contain. the worst is, this guys are giving birth in mine house. To even go to mine house self they tire me... Because of how tenants behave in ikorodu, i decided not to build there anymore. Most of the tenants always behaving has if they have not eating for years, when i ask for rent na story, but they are lucky because i live very far from the said house so i cant really deal with them.... i also have another structure there, someone is leaving there free of charge.... the person only helps in cleaning the compound, mine friend put them there so as to secure the compound. so because of the ikorodu experience, i decided to build another structure close to where i leave, i leave somewhere around Jibowu Lagos.. after building the house, i rented it for 450k per annum and 50k service charge...total is 500k. i made the rent so high so that, all those people when never chop would not near mine house. i tried as much as i can to make the house very beautiful. If there is know light for even a year, the house has a generator that would be used to pump water, i made it clear, i dont want to see aboki selling water to the tenants, any security light that gets burnt will be replaced by me, if the pumping machine gets spoil, it would be fixed by me,payment for lawma is included in the service charge also with payment for the woman sweeping the compound, that was the reason i charged them service charge. Every tenants minds there business, even one of mine tenants changed his car after moving in. the main reason most landlords have problem wit tenants is because most of the tenants done too tey for the house so they become Gods... after like 7 years, i will increase the rent to like 600k or more, depending on what is obtainable. And i will not want to give mine room and parlor self contain to married people.. Even if you want to get married, they would either park out or give birth to lesser children may be two kids or maximum 3 kids. the fact is tenants that have these kind of mind set is different from those once when know get money yet born like 5 children still bring him relation come the house. so strategically i placed come factors before renting mine house house. bad tenants more worst than bad wife. Also dont make your rent cheap, when your rent is 200k for two bed room flat in a place like Jibowu... even when the occupants are not working, they will be able to pay the rent because with two direct from baba IJEBU THEY WILL HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY YOUR RENT, mean while, two bed room flat new house is 800k in Jibowu. But the bad part is such kind of tenants cannot do repairs in your house, if there are major damage, the damage would be left undone, and once left undone, the damage would keep expanding.... Also landlord should try and get prepaid meters for tenants, its expensive but when installed in a house, it reduces rift between landlord and tenant.

cheera

strong points you made there Sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Azuri Peninsula In Eko Atlantic Begins Construction! / Got A Busy Schedule?...the Solution Is Here / Re: Pictorial Representation Of A Kitchen Cabinet And Doors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.