Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,771 members, 7,817,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice (54521 Views)

The Best Method Of Cooking Nigerian Egusi Soup / A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) / Gambia Beat Nigeria , Ghana And Senegal In Jollof Rice Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:00pm On Jun 16, 2020
naptu2:

grin grin grin

Nobody says that caterers have not been cooking without firewood and nobody says that people have not been eating. The issue is the difference between party jollof rice and regular jollof rice. What is the difference between regular jollof rice and party jollof?

The taste, which has nothing to do with FIREWOOD.

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by naptu2: 8:01pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

The taste, which has nothing to do with FIREWOOD.

The taste had everything to do with firewood. Have you eaten jollof rice cooked with firewood?

4 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

The “burn” is in inverted comma for a reason sis.

Better to use "dry" to avoid misleading some folks before they burn down the whole building. grin

3 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:02pm On Jun 16, 2020
naptu2:

The taste had everything to do with firewood. Have you eaten jollof rice cooked with firewood?

Yes and I didn’t notice the difference when I ate my aunt’s own.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by NoLotty7(m): 8:03pm On Jun 16, 2020
1Sharon:
Since you used foil was there a need to parboil the rice
the foil saved the heat from escaped.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by naptu2: 8:04pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Yes and I didn’t notice the difference when I ate my aunt’s own.

grin grin grin

The wood smoke affects the flavour of the food.

https://hotsmoked.co.uk/wood-smoke-flavours

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by jumper524(m): 8:04pm On Jun 16, 2020
only special recipe in party rice is the firewood dey use in cooking.

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by naptu2: 8:05pm On Jun 16, 2020
jumper524:
only special recipe in party rice is the firewood dey use in cooking.

You can say that again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by jayinfo2(m): 8:07pm On Jun 16, 2020
I go try make this for my girlfriend
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:07pm On Jun 16, 2020
naptu2:

grin grin grin

The wood smoke affects the flavour of the food.

https://hotsmoked.co.uk/wood-smoke-flavours

This is not in context. Anything will affect the taste of a food. Even salt.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by naptu2: 8:08pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

This is not in context. Anything will affect the taste of a food. Even salt.

Aha! Good. You've accepted that the firewood affects the flavour of the food.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by mikeybrainy: 8:08pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Here it is...
Thanks
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:09pm On Jun 16, 2020
naptu2:

Aha! Good. You've accepted that the firewood affects the flavour of the food.

I never said otherwise. Saying it can’t be replicated without firewood is a myth.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by naptu2: 8:10pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

I never said otherwise. Saying it can’t be replicated without firewood is a myth.

grin grin grin

OK, if you say so.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ogmask: 8:10pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Pic 1: Tomatoes after it has fried properly. Can you see the difference? Not frying your tomatoes well is what makes you have that “slap” taste. cheesy
Pic 2: Water level for cooking.
Pic 3: Rice after absorbing stock.
Pic 4: Covering with foil.

Already salivating....
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by excel111(m): 8:10pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:
I created a thread previously; How To Make Home Made Ewa Agonyin and despite the “criticism”, I am glad it helped some people. grin

For today, I would like to remind us that we have jollof rice and we have party jollof rice. I don’t need to explain the difference between the two, we all know as e dey go. I get bored with the former, never the latter. I have watched this being cooked a few times and they didn’t put anything special, none that I saw at least, but I never quite got it. Always ended up with sweet concoction rice.

It took me sometime to figure out the process and there has been no going back.

To get this, you have to be thorough and generous with ingredients. There is really no magic.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11740895_9fcdd30edb384100915fd777e8e92929_jpeg_jpegfd967c6fc5203a749e6281c586ea048c
What of iru ( locust beans)?
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Ishilove: 8:10pm On Jun 16, 2020
naptu2:

My response.

I'm lost, honey. My own is cook and serve me grin
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Felincous(m): 8:11pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:
I created a thread previously; How To Make Home Made Ewa Agonyin and despite the “criticism”, I am glad it helped some people. grin

For today, I would like to remind us that we have jollof rice and we have party jollof rice. I don’t need to explain the difference between the two, we all know as e dey go. I get bored with the former, never the latter. I have watched this being cooked a few times and they didn’t put anything special, none that I saw at least, but I never quite got it. Always ended up with sweet concoction rice.

It took me sometime to figure out the process and there has been no going back.

To get this, you have to be thorough and generous with ingredients. There is really no magic.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11740895_9fcdd30edb384100915fd777e8e92929_jpeg_jpegfd967c6fc5203a749e6281c586ea048c
you can be making extra money with this ...mail me @ felincous@gmail.com
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:12pm On Jun 16, 2020
excel111:

What of iru ( locust beans)?

For real? People put that too? I don’t think that is necessary, but what do I know. cheesy

Felincous:
you can be making extra money with this ...mail me @ felincous@gmail.com

Will do, Sir.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ElvisPresley(m): 8:14pm On Jun 16, 2020
The secrets to that party flavour jollof rice are
1.The type of pot you use,
2.The right ingredients(Tatashe,White pepper and cooking butter so important),
3.Steaming(Jollof cooks with heat)

4 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by DontBullshitMe: 8:14pm On Jun 16, 2020
Unimpressed.

Even a bachelor will do better.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:16pm On Jun 16, 2020
ElvisPresley:
The secrets to that party flavour jollof rice are

1.The type of pot you use,

2.The right ingredients(Tatashe,White pepper and cooking butter so important),

3.Steaming(Jollof cooks with heat)

I don’t like cooking butter in mine. I wonder what freaks people about it. Maybe I will try it again.

Any specific brand?

Where went your firewood?
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Alexaonfleek: 8:18pm On Jun 16, 2020
cry grin

Aunty Poco
What really attracted me to this thread was the 'party' jollof rice.
I made jollof rice this past weekend,and I needed the 'party' taste of jollof,lol.
I didn't get it shacry
Mum said my rice was very okay,that she thinks party rice comes with way too much seasoning.
I checked through your ingredients and it's only the white pepper and ginger I didn't put in mine.
I guess that's the diff between home made jollof and party jollof rice
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jun 16, 2020
ayandee:
Nice thread but parboiling the rice isnt necessary. Which "olopo" (party cook) parboils party rice?
I am wondering..U dont need to parboil the rice after several washing with water.

Olopo no get dat time and their food still comes out nice. embarassed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by NaijadrivaCars: 8:23pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Pic: Food is ready. I turned properly.
Via Poco, I nu go di? Asking for a friend
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:25pm On Jun 16, 2020
tenderheart:
I am wondering..U dont need to parboil the rice after several washing with water.

Olopo no get dat time and their food still comes out nice. embarassed

I didn’t parboil AFTER washing severally with water. I parboiled because the rice is starchy and I didn’t get what I wanted when I didn’t parboil. It boils down to type of rice too.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ElvisPresley(m): 8:25pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

I don’t like cooking butter in mine. I wonder what freaks people about it. Maybe I will try it again.

Any specific brand?

Where went your firewood?

You need to try it out dear... The President butter brand is the best I can recommend...I think it's sold for 1500.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:27pm On Jun 16, 2020
Alexaonfleek:
cry grin

Aunty Poco
What really attracted me to this thread was the 'party' jollof rice.
I made jollof rice this past weekend,and I needed the 'party' taste of jollof,lol.
I didn't get it shacry
Mum said my rice was very okay,that she thinks party rice comes with way too much seasoning.
I checked through your ingredients and it's only the white pepper and ginger I didn't put in mine.
I guess that's the diff between home made jollof and party jollof rice

I don’t think it is too much seasoning. Too much seasoning will make you end up with a running stomach. I think it is more of precision and other variables. grin
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

I didn’t parboil AFTER washing severally with water. I parboiled because the rice is starchy and I didn’t get what I wanted when I didn’t parboil. It boils down to type of rice too.
Ok then.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Mariangeles(f): 8:27pm On Jun 16, 2020
Ishilove:
What is white pepper?

If Ishi doesn't ask this question, who will? grin
Ishi-nnem D local chic wey no send anybody papa grin
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by MzTunechi(f): 8:27pm On Jun 16, 2020
Thanks poco
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:27pm On Jun 16, 2020
ElvisPresley:

You need to try it out dear... The President butter brand is the best I can recommend...I think it's sold for 1500.

That is actually what I used because it came highly recommended on the food thread. cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

See The N50 Pepper And Onions I Bought In Kano / Millet In Nigeria: / Pharmacist Angry As The ₦2,500 Food He Ordered Was Packaged With Ponmo & Egg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.