Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,021 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? (32538 Views)

Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. / Have You Ever Lost A Dear One That Makes You Cry Till Now? / My Wife Lied About Her Genotype (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by simplepee(f): 3:09am On Jun 23, 2020
No. AA
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Onare66(m): 3:29am On Jun 23, 2020
i av nt experience one b4
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by spiceadole: 3:42am On Jun 23, 2020
Biglittlelois:

So how do you ask a potential their rhesus factor seeing that not everyone knows anything like that?

You find out their blood group.
Easy!

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by dingbang(m): 3:44am On Jun 23, 2020
Nope
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Stricklybidness(m): 3:46am On Jun 23, 2020
Acidosis:

No, because I'm AA. I only care about your Rhesus factor and your 'past'.
Past? Lol
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by spiceadole: 3:47am On Jun 23, 2020
Carchoice:
haba!!! What are you guys even discussing? Which is is Rhesus ontop the matter again? Never heard of this. Is this a factor to consider before marriage?? embarassed

Foetus dying!! This one shock me

That is why they keep accusing innocent old women in the village for witchcraft and the woman for serially killing her babies.

Rhesus factor is important.
Knowing it early gives intending couples an idea of what to expect.
There is an injection called Rhogam that should be given to a woman who is rhesus negative for every pregnancy or miscarriage if she is impregnated by a Rhesus positive man.

Nigerian youths are too ignorant.
Even the ones that have smart phones,including educated ones.
In 2020,people dont know about Rhesus factor incompatibility and isoimmunization.

Worrisome!

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Stricklybidness(m): 3:48am On Jun 23, 2020
Twoclans:
I am AA but I had to run away from a relationship because his pressure to get married was too much and I felt it was because I was the first AA serious relationship he has ever had.

I did not want to be with someone just because I have the right genotype he wanted.
Wow! Tatz a good one..

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Nobody: 3:48am On Jun 23, 2020
Please take your time to read what I experienced about Genotype
I love Funmi and she loves me.We came from the same town and she knew everything about me. We have been dating for 4years and have good plan for our future home, all my family love her because we look alike. As a nice and brilliant guy on campus also I'm a photographer, many ladies want me to be thier future friend but because of the love I have for Funmi, I can't go ahead therefore, in my room I hanged all her pixs so this will discourage them .
One day, my elder brother called me that have we gone for Genotype and I said no but I'm so sure we are both healthy and strong. I decided to go for the Genotype with Funmi. The results came out and I was AC and Funmi was AS. Doctor said we should think very well before taking any action. We wept together for more than a week . I told my brother that we agreed to move on .
My brother said that I should come to his house for something important.I quickly went there with the hope that he has something special for me.when I got there, I saw all his friend and my brother keep shouting on me that see this boy, he is a killer, harm rubber and I felt ashamed. His friend asked why saying so? My brother said imagine !!! He want to invite children into this world purposely to make them feel pains and kill them. He knew this and still want to go ahead. He told me that if I do that, the children will not forgive me on this earth and heaven then their blood will be on us. I wept then decided to cut my 4years relationship thought it wasn't easy, i was about to graduate then this affected my Gps that I needed to quit and start from another school. Here I am today, I moved on to marry another woman with AA and we are blessed with kids . Funmi also married last year and we are still best friend.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Stricklybidness(m): 3:51am On Jun 23, 2020
Ishilove:

Better cancellation than SS problem. I lost my cousin to sickle cell at age 14, and I have another cousin, a 20 year old SS boy whose medical needs have almost wrecked his father to the extent he is going around looking for who to beg money for medicine from as we are about to enter rainy season. His dad, my mum's younger brother told my mum that mosquito must not bite the boy otherwise he would have a crisis.

The pains of having a sickle cell child is better imagined than experienced.
Naeaooo
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Stricklybidness(m): 3:53am On Jun 23, 2020
FlordFlorez:
nothing like D. From ur first post (rh-d), i think u are negative. Rh factor tests are tests carried out to ascertain if ur blood stream contains rhesus protein. If its present (+), absent (-). Though, im not a med practitional but would soon be, i'll advice u go visit one and get the details or google it.
This actually makes sense
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Nobody: 3:54am On Jun 23, 2020
FlordFlorez:
it's not adviceable for a rh+ male to marry rh- female. Foetus will keep dying.

It can be prevented!
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Etuagievin(m): 3:55am On Jun 23, 2020
HembaqMbk:

I don't think so. I think AA are more....
. AA. Is more
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by mimee9(f): 4:05am On Jun 23, 2020
angry
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Slimsly100(f): 4:18am On Jun 23, 2020
Nope. I always find our t
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by egalitarianism: 4:23am On Jun 23, 2020
pocohantas:

Don’t blame them. Getting a good partner is hard, now adding another variable (genotype) makes it harder. I understand you though. The way they quickly ask could be “scary”.
Damn. My daughter, I love your personal text. Stay out of trouble though dear daughter
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by deebrain(m): 4:45am On Jun 23, 2020
Yes.

Still good friends now...
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Bola146(f): 4:47am On Jun 23, 2020
Mariangeles:
Pele my dear
Trust me, someone who compliments you perfectly will come. There are so many good men out there.
Amen, thanks

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Samfloxin(m): 4:48am On Jun 23, 2020
Twoclans:
I am AA but I had to run away from a relationship because his pressure to get married was too much and I felt it was because I was the first AA serious relationship he has ever had.

I did not want to be with someone just because I have the right genotype he wanted.
You are not yet ready for marriage,that's the fact...not really because of the genotype brouhaha
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Beey(f): 5:13am On Jun 23, 2020
Carchoice:
haba!!! What are you guys even discussing? Which is is Rhesus ontop the matter again? Never heard of this. Is this a factor to consider before marriage?? embarassed

Foetus dying!! This one shock me

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Beey(f): 5:15am On Jun 23, 2020
Sunisonflex39:
what the hell is rehsus or what are those people discussing over there. someone enlighten me

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by tfash96(m): 5:43am On Jun 23, 2020
Sniper101:

Lol. This just reminded me that one of my gf asked me "The Genotype" question about two months ago.

I wonder what was on her mind.
Ha ha
Nothing was on her mind more than she's serious with you and if you guys are so compatible she wants wedding and marriage with you
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Oluwahelpme(m): 5:53am On Jun 23, 2020
Michelle55:
Yeah.. Wasn't funny but life goes on cos I can't kill myself over it. Its AA or nothing smiley
Hey lady. I will like to know u better.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by dannie007(m): 5:58am On Jun 23, 2020
Go and Educate yourself on this!! What you don't know try to ask! Don't mislead people!

FlordFlorez:
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Eizenburg: 6:02am On Jun 23, 2020
sugah:

Apart from the cases of previous abortion without the injection, the injection is effective. It's less than 30k for the injection.

So what’s the implication of the above? From responses, it’d seem that a lot of people are unaware of this.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by sugah: 6:06am On Jun 23, 2020
dj4tolex:

Shed more light on this for people to learn
@doveflies

One option is: the couple get pregnant naturally and an amniocentesis test (chorionic vili sampling) is carried out while she is still pregnant to screen for sickle cell. If the foetus has the disease it will be aborted. Unfortunately, the testing process itself could lead to miscarriage

Second is: IVF with PGD(pre genetic testing). You should already know how IVF works....but before the embryos are transferred they are screened for sickle cell disease and only embryos that are free of the disease will be transferred to the woman. There's a possibility that all the eggs harvested during one procedure will have the disease and there'd be no embryos to transfer. On the other hand, you can be lucky like the couple I know and have 2 good embryos to transfer at once and have twins. IVF is a 75% chance of success but PGD for sickle cell disease might reduce the chances

But it's still better than having a sickle.cell baby
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by sugah: 6:09am On Jun 23, 2020
Eizenburg:

So what’s the implication of the above? From responses, it’d seem that a lot of people are unaware of this.
Recurring cases of miscarriage.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Eizenburg: 6:12am On Jun 23, 2020
sugah:
Truth is, there's a way out for both AS partners to marry without having SS babies but it's both emotionally and financially draining.
I know a couple who's gone through it but I don't think they'd wish same for their enemies.

They did invitro genetic testing and had to abort the foetus each time the result is SS

But there's also the option of IVF with Genetic testing.
This can be emotionally draining, especially for the woman.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Ulunne777(f): 6:15am On Jun 23, 2020
Saneesk:
All these genotype shit na scam our parents didn't do any test b4 getting married but their children survived....

In as long as i i lo you I'll marry you regardless of your genotype though I'm AA

I also heard that those that were AA b4 den turned AS can still marry AS it won't matter that's what 1 doctor said

You are being taught but you refuse to learn.
Are you aware of alot of children died then.

Have you read Achebes Things fall apart, where he talked about the Dibia exorcising Ogbanje from Okonkwos 2nd wife's children who died repeatedly, shortly after birth until Ezinma Survived? It was the sickle cell gene.
Okonkwo and the 2nd wife were As and this made her loose more than 5 children cos of poor health.

My neighbor who have 5 children have 4 Sicklers among them. Their deep yellow eyes with big round stomach and the constant crisis makes everyone teary. We watched 2 go cry cry

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by humilitypays(m): 6:18am On Jun 23, 2020
HembaqMbk:

https://www.quora.com/Can-an-A-positive-blood-group-girl-marry-an-O-negative-blood-group-boy

Can an A positive blood group girl marry an O negative blood group boy?

I am puzzled as to why this sort of question keeps turning up again and again. I get the uncomfortable feeling that there is a rumour floating around i the lay population to the effect that certain blood groups can’t / shouldn’t marry. Basically this is rubbish. In most countries there is no requirement for couples to have blood group tests done before marriage - certainly not required in the UK, Australia & most of Europe. Don’t know about North America.

Regardless of the couples respective blood groups there aren’t problems; there are relative potential problems, however, the mothers blood group will be checked at the beginning of her pregnancy. If the mother is Rhesus D negative then they will want to know the babies blood group when it is born. That’s easy as a small sample (5ml) of cord blood will be taken and if the baby is Rhesus D positive, then the mother will be given an injection of anti-D antibodies to kill off any foetal cells that crossed into the mother at confinement. This will stop the mother developing anti-D antibodies that may be a problem in future pregnancies.

We have known about this for 50 years so it is a matter of routine.

If you have a negative blood type and the father of your child has a positive blood type, there is a good chance the baby you carry will also have a positive blood type. This can lead to some complications during pregnancy, but they are completely preventable.

First off, what do positive and negative blood types mean? If you have a blood type like O+ or A+, that means you are Rh positive. Your red blood cells have the Rh protein on their covering. If you are Rh negative, your cells don't have this protein. Because your body doesn't have the Rh factor in its cells, your immune system will consider this protein a threat.

During pregnancy, your blood and your growing fetus's blood are kept separate during the pregnancy. However, during delivery, your baby's blood can mix with your own. If you are Rh negative and the baby is Rh positive, your immune system will start to build up antibodies against the “invading” Rh factor. This is called Rh sensitization[1].

Rh sensitization won't cause any harm to the baby you just delivered. However, if you get pregnant again with another Rh-positive baby, it may cause issues. Because your immune system is on high alert for that Rh protein, your immune system can start attacking the fetus's blood cells. This causes health problems in the fetus, and tends to get worse every pregnancy[2].

Fortunately, science has your back. If you are pregnant and have a negative blood type, your doctor will give you a drug called RhoGAM around the start of your third trimester. This drug prevents Rh sensitization in most women who use it[3]. Your doctor may also check to see if you have Rh sensitization from a previous pregnancy in a first-trimester blood test.

As long as your doctor knows about the possible Rh conflict, he or she can manage it very well. Don't let it bother you!

The reason why European countries, US and white dominant countries don't do compulsory blood genotype test before marriage is simple:

White people don't have sickle cell disease. It is not in their blood! So no need for genotype test!

If you ever see any white child suffering sickle cell disease, then know that he/she have a black ancestral lineage.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by dayleke: 6:19am On Jun 23, 2020
FlordFlorez:

Aka Abiku in Yoruba
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Munzy14(m): 6:24am On Jun 23, 2020
Ishilove:

On my maternal side, this is correct.

Why did the lady go psycho? Simply asking questions once the relationship has been defined can save everyone a world of heartache.
It was a relationship they've already planned life... Introduction done, It was her pastor's instructions of them to go for medical check up, There everything was revealed to them.

It's just ignorance.. And myself, I am guilty of it with all my relationships I don't even ask maybe because I feel I am very safe AA.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Very Good Relationship Due To Genotype? by Amynamerica: 6:36am On Jun 23, 2020
Are you Rhesus negative?
Acidosis:

No, because I'm AA. I only care about your Rhesus factor and your 'past'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Kid Gets Trapped Inside A Tyre, Rescued By Her Mother (Photos) / Mom Stones Her Son With The Pack Of Condoms He Bought While Shopping With Her / 8 Unusual Maternity Photoshoots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.