Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,084 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States - Romance (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States (80830 Views)

American Lady Shuts Down Nigerian Women Advising Her Against Dating Nigerian Men / American Lady Reveals Why She Loves Dating Nigerian Men Over Her Countrymen(vid) / What Has Been Your Experience Dating Nigerian Girls From Poor Homes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 28, 2020
punisha:

You!
I can tell how u write even in a faceless forum.
Lol I don't know who or what Ibeto is.
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by punisha: 9:56am On Jun 28, 2020
Palema007:
Lol I don't know who or what Ibeto is.

Been a while.
Still in uyo?
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by Nobody: 9:58am On Jun 28, 2020
punisha:

Been a while.
Still in uyo?
Lol never been there. You are obviously mistaking me for someone else.
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by sexylassie2(f): 10:05am On Jun 28, 2020
ernieboy:
11 million for a minority group in terms of population is huge, what percentage of the black population is that viz a viz the percentage of 14 million whites to the entire white population. besides I was referring to the captains of the various biz sectors, they are mostly whites, Asians and american jews

But they are still doing better. For last year about 8.9 million black Americans out of 43 million blacks are living in poverty, that is low,5.4% unemployment rate among blacks for last year, it seems, it keeps reducing from year to year.

There are many black American captain of businesses you won't hear on the news.

White are majority, so more white control. I will put Jews as white.

There are about 19.6 million Asians, about 10.1% are in poverty. That is about 2 million asians in poverty,I only see Asian domination in tech and small businesses.

But there are many black businesses doing sales at around 10 million dollars or more a year.

Blacks are evenly spread in all sphere of the US economy when compared to Asians, you will likely see blacks as leaders in politics, business, in religion, military, education, etc

There are about 60 million Hispanic, 10.5 million are living in poverty.

All these stats are from last year.

Blacks aren't in the bottom.

My list will be

White
African American
Asians
Hispanic
Native Americans.

1 Like

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by punisha: 10:08am On Jun 28, 2020
Palema007:
Lol never been there. You are obviously mistaking me for someone else.

Continue....
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by EgunMogaji2: 10:16am On Jun 28, 2020
Crispels:
Nigerian-Americans to a very large extent, are Nigerians who were born and/or raised by Nigerian parents in the United States. Most of them were born to Nigerian immigrant families - many of whom migrated to Yankee during the ”visa lottery and green card regime”. Some prominent Nigerian American girls are Tomi Adeyemi, Chineye Ogwumike, Nneka Ogwumike, Arike Ogunbowale, Oyinye Iweala and many more.

In the course of my experience studying and living in America, I’ve interacted with so many Nigerian-Americans and these are some of my observations.

This thread is a response to previous threads on dating African Americans and immigrant Nigerian women(those who migrated to the US from Naija as adults - some in their late 20s and some in their early 30s, 40s etc) in the USA. This particular thread could help guide prospective Nigerian foreign students or immigrants in America - who hope to end up with one of their sisters or brothers that were born and raised in the diaspora.

(1). Most of them(Nigerian-Americans) are more Nigerian than you think.

There is an erroneous belief among many Nigerians back home who feel once people leave Nigeria - they stop being a Nigerian. To be honest, I'm more Nigerian right now than I was while growing up in Naija. For many Nigerian-Americans, the story is the same. Most(not all) of the Nigerian-Americans I’ve met here are so deeply rooted in the Nigerian culture that I'm sometimes left in awe. Many of them have Nigerian flags in their apartments and if you check their Instagram profiles - you are very likely to see the smiley of a Nigerian flag there. And please: don't think ”patriotism is sweet from the abroad”.

There are many Nigerian-Americans who go home every 6months - they know how difficult things could be in Naija but the reality is: once you have a Nigerian ancestry - you and your descendants are forever Nigerians. Thus, you can never disassociate yourself from your roots. Unless you just want to foo.l yourself. I know of Nigerian immigrants (with a US green card) who left the US(sold their properties) and returned to Naija to hustle because living abroad does not feel like home to many Nigerians.

In states like Texas, Maryland, New York, Georgia, California, Illinois, and others with tens of thousands of Nigerians, it is common to meet Nigerian-American girls who eat only Nigerian food(they don't like American food despite being born and raised there). They also know the songs of Davido, Wiz Kid, Burna Boy, Tiwa, Falz, Zlatan, Naira Marley and the likes in manners typical of a Lagos babe. That explains why whenever these Naija artistes come to the US - their concerts are usually sold out. Nigerian -Americans no dey joke with Afrobeat music oo.

(2). Nigerian -American girls are super ambitious and successful

Wait! If you are a Naija guy hoping to date a Naija-Americana, you better up your game now! These girls are not joking mehn. 99% of the Nigerian-American girls around me are all pursuing careers that pay at least 6-figures annually. There was a Nigerian-American girl I met in New York. She had her first degree from Harvard. An MPH(Master of Public Health) from Yale and she's about resuming medical school at another ivy league school. In a system like America, with the field she plans to work in, such a fellow is likely to end up earning at least $500,000 pay in a few years. Her story is similar to that of most Nigerian-American girls here. I have never met a Naija-Americana who is not interested in higher degrees or high paying careers in America like medicine, nursing, tech, finance, pharmacy, sports, business/investment/investment banking, trade, engineering, consulting, etc.

So, if you plan to date/marry a Naija-Americana, you must be ambitious, honest, and hardworking. Otherwise, you go play second fiddle tire.

(3). Their parents and family are heavily involved in their lives.

One of the major reasons why they are super successful is because of their parents. Most Nigerian-Americans live in America but they were raised in Nigerian homes. Thus, many of their parents raised them like Naija kids - read your books. Work hard. Be excellent and always aim for the top. Pursue high-paying careers. All of these coupled with the enabling environment and opportunities that America provides make them who they are. Many of their parents give them the specs of the husbands/wives they want them to have. I’ve seen cases where Nigerian-American girls refused to date guys because they were not ambitious and successful enough. In fact, within the Nigerian community here, there is ”elitism”(if you are a young Nigerian chap and you are not well educated or you don't have a good-paying career job, many Nigerian-Americans won't even roll with you. This is a story for another day).

(4). They don't really need your money.

They want you to be successful. Be well educated and have a great career but they don't plan to leech off you. To the basics. Whenever I go out with Nigerian-American girls here, they always want to pay for their own food and drinks. In fact, some of them have offered to pay for mine - even though I invited them for lunch/dinner. I’ve had arguments with a few of them for always wanting to split bills when I was the one who planned the treat. Hence, don't expect them to disturb you for money related to makeup, hair, accessories, and the likes. Although, it is always good to surprise them with gifts and flowers - if you plan to date or marry any of them.

(5).Many of them place a premium on physical features(being tall is a big deal to them)

Especially when they are young(let's say below the age of 25), many Nigerian-American girls love guys with certain physical features like height(6’7 tall), muscles, beards and the likes. They love guys that are athletic and super clean. So, apart from being career-driven, be prepared to hit the gym to grow some mass if you wan see them date. cheesy
Although, as they grow older, they tend to care less about these physical features. Regardless, they always love and prefer tall and clean guys who have great careers. Their ideal man is a guy who is physically appealing, clean, intelligent, career-driven and has a great taste of fashion.

(6). They are not your cooks or slaves

This is the American part of them. If you know you want a wife that will constantly cook for you, clean the house and do other numerous chores. Sorry. Most Nigerian-American girls are not for you. You, as a man must learn how to cook as well. Clean the bathroom. Wash dishes and other ways you could be of assistance to her. They are not your typical ”villa girls”. If you plan to date/marry a Nigerian-American babe, be prepared to split the cookings/chores - the same way you will always split many of your bills.

(7). They can be sometimes arrogant and snobby

Many of them can ghost guys for Africa sha especially when they find you socially awkward or not possessing the physical features they desire in their man or you don't look like what they prefer. I find this to be somewhat childish tho. It's part of the unnecessary ”growing class division” within the Nigerian community here.

(cool. Treat them right. Take good care of them and support them. They are our sisters and brothers!

CAVEAT: These points were made based on my own personal experience. Another person may have a slightly different experience. ONE LOVE NAIJA ❤️.

Most of what is written is true. My first daughter went to Stanford on a full scholarship. A seriously studious girl. Didn't get her genes form me because Baba na escape artist from scholastic activities grin

Some other points.

A shockingly high number turn to LGBT. There's nothing wrong with that. Divorce rate, single motherism is also rampant.

Quite a bit come top Nigeria to volunteer in health and education sector.

1 Like

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by MarthaGlobal: 10:59am On Jun 28, 2020
This one sweet me... I can't wait to read about them.. Lafff
Freestainworld:
how about Nigerian-Pakistani girls?

1 Like

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by efosky1246(m): 11:16am On Jun 28, 2020
sexylassie2:

Black american aren't bottom rung in american society.

About 3% of African Americans are in the upper 1% class, 12% were upper middle class, 40% were middle class,25% were working class and 21% were living in poverty.

To be realistic, African Americans are doing great. When you break down the numbers about 11 million bafrican americans are in poverty compared with 17 million whites

But they make up just 13% of the population, so ratio wise, they are still at the bottom of the American society.

2 Likes

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by bizhop01: 12:03pm On Jun 28, 2020
is common to meet Nigerian-American girls who eat only Nigerian food(they don't like American food despite being born and raised there)

Nonsense, you can only tell your village people this

4 Likes

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by Crispels(m): 12:10pm On Jun 28, 2020
bizhop01:
is common to meet Nigerian-American girls who eat only Nigerian food(they don't like American food despite being born and raised there)

Nonsense, you can only tell your village people this

I’ve met many of such Nigerian-American girls at my school. There are many of their likes in my cousins’ church in Buckhead as well. Some of them even run some sort of Nigerian restaurants here.

1 Like

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by yassinattah(m): 12:18pm On Jun 28, 2020
Sparro:

Thank you abeg. Very yeye post. Wetin concern us with Nigeria-American girls and their standards. I feel the op is sponsored to hype these girls.
Let him talk about Nigerian-America guys na

I see stand on my point.
Dating A Nigerian American or African American or Black of any sort in Yankee isn't a sense of belonging but absolutely a misplaced priorities..

Where there are very beautiful Latino,Arab and Caucasian ladies out there.

If I needed to date/marry a lady of my colour of skin, why didnt I do that while i was in Naija..

Is it when am in Yankee I ll be prioritizing such as if I no know wetin carry me come Yankee.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by MOnkeyBabe(f): 12:36pm On Jun 28, 2020
Admitwithschola:

Bros, please why you say this?? Enlighten us oo, fellow brothers. Spill the beans, spill the ewa. Say why you are careful with them, abeg.

Or if you wanna talk on phone, let's do private message. I would like to hear your views. Me too am a pure Naija guy and my nature won't tolerate certain things.

So spill the beans like ewa and help your fellow brothers

Thanks
this SOmaDinA sef lol grin cheesy
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by yassinattah(m): 12:44pm On Jun 28, 2020
1Sharon:

That's not the issue, it's that word "submissive"

Y'all sound so primitive I swear
Sharon abi Sienna.. what ever space wagon bus you belong to..

You are just one lady and in the midst of hundreds of men and u r making such statement.

I wouldn't even court u, if I really needed a third wife in naija here.

4 Likes

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by yassinattah(m): 1:00pm On Jun 28, 2020
dragunov:

Well said. But do you know that it is because of this mentality that hundreds of thousands of them are still searching. By the time they are over 35 going to 40, they would have become so desperate and willing to settle for any guy. Na so e be.
They can go do Invitro fertilization,Artificial insemnition or Surrogacy

1 Like

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by Lamanii22(f): 2:16pm On Jun 28, 2020
sexylassie2:

How do you know it is cockney accent?

Cockney accent is mostly east londoners they speak that, it is mostly spoken by white working class people...

They are living in London though... They've perfected the art of speaking cockney... I know the cockney accent when I hear it....
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by luminouz(m): 2:23pm On Jun 28, 2020
Samiah33:

You think the British or Europeans or the Latinos or Indians don’t cook for their husbands? A minor thing like cooking na wa oo. Na pride dey kill everybody here oo sad

Leave those girls alone. All of them yelling cooking is slavery dey cook for their bf and watching his pants as well.

If you go by the online personality of NL gehs,you'd think they are some badasses. Real Gs here know them offline and I'm telling you,they will cook anything for us and after we fuq them,they thank us for a job well done.

It's only on NL that I'm hearing cooking and doing house chores is modern slavery. Not offline.

So chill out bro. The real Gs know what's up. grin
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by Admitwithschola: 2:42pm On Jun 28, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Most of what is written is true. My first daughter went to Stanford on a full scholarship. A seriously studious girl. Didn't get her genes form me because Baba na escape artist from scholastic activities grin

Some other points.

A shockingly high number turn to LGBT. There's nothing wrong with that. Divorce rate, single motherism is also rampant.

Quite a bit come top Nigeria to volunteer in health and education sector.

Sir, you mean many of our girls turn LGBT? For this life? I'm sure you won't argue that that is "very alien" to us. I wonder if their parents also think all is well with that. And I wonder if Nigerian parents have started embracing that because it will be shocking.

Congrats on your daughter. Stanford no be here.

3 Likes

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by HeavenlyCherub(f): 2:44pm On Jun 28, 2020
ernieboy:
11 million for a minority group in terms of population is huge, what percentage of the black population is that viz a viz the percentage of 14 million whites to the entire white population. besides I was referring to the captains of the various biz sectors, they are mostly whites, Asians and american jews

Do you really think black people are a minority group? Keep believing what you’re brainwashed by white people to believe
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by Admitwithschola: 2:54pm On Jun 28, 2020
MOnkeyBabe:
this SOmaDinA sef lol grin cheesy

Aunty, wetin be somadina?
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by EgunMogaji2: 3:46pm On Jun 28, 2020
Admitwithschola:

Sir, you mean many of our girls turn LGBT? For this life? I'm sure you won't argue that that is "very alien" to us. I wonder if their parents also think all is well with that. And I wonder if Nigerian parents have started embracing that because it will be shocking.

Congrats on your daughter. Stanford no be here.

As a father of five children born in the USA and an Uncle to about 20, allow me to tell you that the fastest way to insanity is to try and raise those born there with 100% Nigerian ideals.

Personally, I have no issues with LGBT but realize that I lived there for over 3 decades.

2 Likes

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by ucham: 5:04pm On Jun 28, 2020
ogbonti:

well, I dated two Nigerian girls before I got married in America and had the opportunity to see how they roll - I hear their friends discuss and I see what they put Nigerian guys through - That is not enough to conclude you may say, but having heard the stories of most Nigerian guys first hand (not just what is on the internet, but people you actually know either as close friends, acquaintances, colleagues or church members) who traveled that path and got scre wed in the process, one is tempted to generalize - when the preponderance of the numbers of victims who cry out in regret are significantly more than those who pretend that all is well

An American girl is not swayed by you attending Harvard or having a 6 figure job - or you looking a certain way or what their parents think about you. IF you guys click - and you act right in the relationship (which is not really much) you can have a happy home even if you ride a 2002 Toyota Camry or 2021 Mercedez Benz 4matic =

NOT SO WITH THE NAIJA GIRL - my brother, you have to experience it to know it- Females are not angels but you can tell if an American girl is into you but a naija girl will fake it because you make 6 figures working at Exxon Mobil so what happens when there is downsizing and you now make a quarter of what you use to make? THE LOVE IS OVER AND THE DRAMA STARTS UNTIL SHE FVCKS UP YOUR LIFE - just pray she is not earning more than you - her friends and family will do you shege to your face until you lose your mind -

Just read what the OP said about - you must up your game, so what happens when adversity strikes? think about it

BE GUIDED OOOO - a word is enough for the wise!

You said it all my brother. When the OP said you must up your game, it is clear that anyone married to that kind person is sitting on a gun powder. This one go push person go carry drugs or do Yahoo because you wan meet up.

Who wants to married someone that would kill you with anxiety? Someone who would demand that you get PhD or higher when all you wanna do is sip your glass of beer knowing that life is short.

5 Likes

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jun 28, 2020
sexylassie2:

It is a lie, watch American news, watch american business news, watch american military news, watch american religious news. Watch american education news.

Now, tell me, how many Nigerian sounding surnames do you hear, basically none.

American elites are made up of mostly black americans and white americans but I am seeing a new elites in tech that are mostly indians and chinese
but in some hollywood movies u do see some blacks have nigerian names.there is this season movie called POWER ..dont know if u have seen the film.There is this actor in the movie if u see him you will assume he's black american.Has an american accent and doesnt look nigerian but his surname is a yoruba name cheesy.Ajibode or something..cant remember.Anyway one good thing about the US is you can be succesful irregardless of your colour or tribe.Those who dont succeed in the US are those who are lazy..there is no godfather or oga at the top like naija.You work hard and u get ur proceeds.Thats what makes the US tick.
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by sexylassie2(f): 5:17pm On Jun 28, 2020
lefulefu:
but in some hollywood movies u do see some blacks have nigerian names.there is this season movie called POWER ..dont know if u have seen the film.There is this actor in the movie if u see him you will assume he's black american.Has an american accent and doesnt look nigerian but his surname is a yoruba name cheesy.Ajibode or something..cant remember.Anyway one good thing about the US is you can be succesful irregardless of your colour or tribe.Those who dont succeed in the US are those who are lazy..there is no godfather or oga at the top like naija.You work hard and u get ur proceeds.Thats what makes the US tick.

Yes..merit is a big thing in america that is why the system work

1 Like

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jun 28, 2020
Samiah33:

You think the British or Europeans or the Latinos or Indians don’t cook for their husbands? A minor thing like cooking na wa oo. Na pride dey kill everybody here oo sad
there"s this colleague of ours an iranian girl.Though she"s more canadian than iranian cos she was born and grew in canada but her root is iran.She invited us during the new year and prepared one of their home cooked meals for us.She cooks and prepares her meals.The ladies in the west who dont cook tend to be very obese cos all their food is from the junk house.When u see a white girl looking trim with a nice figure then 99 percent is that she is ur typical girl who cooks her meals cheesy.This notion we tend to have in naija that its only africans who cook is complete false.There many white ladies who are homebred and they cook for their families.Its like we are even the ones who are deviating from home cooked meals cos these days i see more naija ladies even the ones who are married prefering to buy junk food for their children and families..very common with the ajebutter families.thats why if u go to places like abuja u tend to see little kids around 8-10 yrs looking unhealthly fat with double chins and fat tummies.Their mums are too lazy to prepare healthy meals for them so they stuff them with donuts,french fries,pizza and other unhealthy meals.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 28, 2020
luminouz:

Leave those girls alone. All of them yelling cooking is slavery dey cook for their bf and watching his pants as well.

If you go by the online personality of NL gehs,you'd think they are some badasses. Real Gs here know them offline and I'm telling you,they will cook anything for us and after we fuq them,they thank us for a job well done.

It's only on NL that I'm hearing cooking and doing house chores is modern slavery. Not offline.

So chill out bro. The real Gs know what's up. grin
if u dating a girl wey no sabi cook just run cos if u marry such girl na ur children go suffer cheesy.u can go to a good resturant and eat a good meal but ur kids will have no choice other than tpo be eating the rubbish given to them by their mom.check out the children of mothers wey no sabi cook..such children always look unhealthy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by Admitwithschola: 5:27pm On Jun 28, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

As a father of five children born in the USA and an Uncle to about 20, allow me to tell you that the fastest way to insanity is to try and raise those born there with 100% Nigerian ideals.

Personally, I have no issues with LGBT but realize that I lived there for over 3 decades.

OK Sir - though nothing on earth can be 100%, besides academic grades of course, and even that is rare. To each his own.
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by osazuwa23: 5:28pm On Jun 28, 2020
pakistani women dont like african but the men they love black females so much. i had a pakistani roomate and that all he would talk about
MarthaGlobal:
This one sweet me... I can't wait to read about them.. Lafff
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jun 28, 2020
osazuwa23:
pakistani women dont like african but the men they love black females so much. i had a pakistani roomate and that all he would talk about
it aint his fault.most pakistani girls i have seen tend to be shapeless..so i can understand a pakistani guy going nuts when he sees a black girl cheesy
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by ernieboy(m): 6:05pm On Jun 28, 2020
HeavenlyCherub:

Do you really think black people are a minority group? Keep believing what you’re brainwashed by white people to believe
according to the us census bureau, black are about 13 percent of the population, except u have conducted your on census it have another reliable source of information, I think I would go with that.

2 Likes

Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by luminouz(m): 6:24pm On Jun 28, 2020
lefulefu:
if u dating a girl wey no sabi cook just run cos if u marry such girl na ur children go suffer cheesy.u can go to a good resturant and eat a good meal but ur kids will have no choice other than tpo be eating the rubbish given to them by their mom.check out the children of mothers wey no sabi cook..such children always look unhealthy.

You dey mind them?
When I no craze. I was raised with home cooking. My kids will enjoy same.
Re: Dating Nigerian-American girls in the United States by luminouz(m): 6:27pm On Jun 28, 2020
lefulefu:

His name is rotimi....he sings,raps and is an actor. He bought his first house some months ago.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

99.9% Of Ladies Are Guilty Of This Act (photo) / Sex Tips: How To Lose Your Virginity Without Pain (girls) / Man Kneels To Propose To His Big Girlfriend. (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.