Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,969 members, 7,817,842 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? (16316 Views)

Eni Aluko Becomes First Black Female Football Club Owner In Italy (Photos) / What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? / Lebron James Says All Players In Liverpool Are His Favorite Football Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Phemostiga4u: 9:33am On Jul 06, 2020
I started supporting Chelsea 2005 when they sign 9ja golden boy (Mikel obi)

3 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Kyngfarabale1(m): 9:34am On Jul 06, 2020
flexyrule:
The Blues since 2006... Till death do us part.

I love Chelsea for no reason.
I'm not like them other plastic fans that love them teams cuz they winning, and desert them when they start losing..
It is either it is blue or blue!
2006 also but elder bros made me love Chelsea because he always buy anything Chelsea for me
from Jersey to wrist band to socks etc then I love Chelsea till date

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Minemrys: 9:36am On Jul 06, 2020
When Liverpool comes calling, you got to love them... SG8, Luis Garcia made me love them the m0re. Although in between, i briefly flirted with the idea of Tottenham.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Havertz(m): 9:39am On Jul 06, 2020
Manchester united i start supporting united since 2005,
but now am no longer united fan up chelsea

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by MaziIgwe007: 9:39am On Jul 06, 2020
where are my fellow Liverpool fans na
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 9:43am On Jul 06, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Right from my mother's womb. I kicked her whenever my team loses and jump around whenever we win

And what's the name of that your team?
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by mrkings84(m): 9:44am On Jul 06, 2020
scylentstorm:

Lool. I love this. All for dad. Are you an ardent Chelsea now?

Aprokko, he is!!

If he wasn't, he would have stated it in his story

For me, as a blue fan, similar thing made me join the blues, in the 98 preciously, we use to watch football match in a neighbor's house, the man and his children were man u fans, we had arsenal fans around too, so each time they play against Chelsea they will always yab the few Chelsea fans around, so out of what I could call pity to those fewer fans of Chelsea in our compound then, I decided to fan the blues, and that really balance things as I was a good argumentator, that time we Chelsea fans start having our way I my neighborhood.

Sincerely speaking, I have no regrets for joining Chelsea then cos the club has won everything a big club should win and is still winning.

Do u know Chelsea has lifted more trophies than any other epl team in the last decade Oya go visit your friend Google!!!

4 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 9:45am On Jul 06, 2020
Fineboy444:
Who scored the winning goal?
Lmao! What do you mean?
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by uniqueuser(m): 9:47am On Jul 06, 2020
Liverpool : i wasn't a fan i just liked the club until the day they beat barca 4-0 in the champions league i was like mhen.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Wizzarro(m): 9:47am On Jul 06, 2020
My family has a high percentage of Chelsea fans, so i guess becoming a chelsea fan came naturally to me. I had to do more research about the club and found out how they grew in the league to become the team they are today. one of my most heart breaking moment as a chelsea was the Day John Terry missed that penalty in the final against Manchester united, I was depressed for like 3 days. Other than my Family club chelsea, I also love barcelona from the Spanish la liga, I think thats the one club I developed love for without influence from family, the presence of Messi in the team sealed my fandom for the club, cause am a Left footer, and sometimes when I play soccer, my friends call me messi smiley

4 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Deejay777(m): 9:48am On Jul 06, 2020
It was in the year 2006, one of my uncles came visiting. He's a Man U fan, he asked me then "which club are you supporting?", I told him none. He said "start supporting Man U", he gave me no reason and ever since then, I never backslide.

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 9:49am On Jul 06, 2020
swiz123:
When DSTV became popular, foreign clubs was subsequently introduced to us. I liked Manchester United because most people within my area loved them.

That changed in 2006 when Man Utd fraudulently won Chelsea who had been unbeaten all season. Everyone supported them; in their minds, the Portuguese manager was proving to be a god.

I have always hated people who oppressed people, while developing a soft spot for the oppressed. So, there and then, the bandwagon love I had for Manchester United quickly turned to hate and I started supporting Chelsea since then.

I also love Man city for getting this same treatment for being too good. Most especially this season. (Liverpool vs Man city comes to mind)

Sweet memory. But it's normal for a United hater to love City.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Tayor23(m): 9:51am On Jul 06, 2020
unibenakpos:

there was a time I threw away all my arsenal jersey,
the club they give unnecessary pressure.
but now when Arsenal lose or win I will still put on my jersey... for watford to still get fans. we are good
I remember in 2002 when we lost the fa cup final to Liverpool, It was one of the saddest day of being an Arsenal fan....so many bad and sweet memories. ...
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by whippersnapper(m): 9:52am On Jul 06, 2020
Started supporting man utd 2009 as a 9 year old kid .Then my love for football intensified in 2010 when I started supporting inter Milan, my friends nicknamed me Diego Milito .that Silvester stallion lookalike was like Lewandoski in his prime .

Mourinho's inter Milan was my best squad ever . Star-studded players like Maicon, Stankovic,Eto'o,Sneijder,lucio, Cambiasso were an awe to watch

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 9:53am On Jul 06, 2020
paulolee:
remember back then i was a millan fan and enjoyed watching millan in ma dad's viewing center back then but i jus lacked the zeal and excitement watching them because their matches seems boring at a time and mayb it because its only ucl i do see them but not until i watched a Barcelona match and fell madly in love with gaucho..
gaucho was just too good, his endless skills, crazy passes, funny body faints and most importantly that ever smiling face with his big teeths and people even said he is using jazz and a magician back den..
i enjoyed watching him tru out the ucl games dt barca won arsernal, d way he dribbled and embarrassed dt millan mafian gattuso and dt crazy dancing goal he scored chelsea, even if he was silent in d final...gaucho won my heart to barca and messi cemented it till now and still happy i choosed them....
in other news- same inter wey win 750k for me last week wen playing away naim still cut my 530 ticket last nite in their home and miss p.k join....
wat i learnt is dt "Ticket wey wan cut go cut" bt dt loss pain me badly n didn't sleep last nite, wunt forgive lautaro unless he moves to barca..

Hahaha! Several dimensions to your story. You even had to include your bets to it. 750k (for whatever amount you staked) is huge. You were so lucky.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by delkuf(m): 9:53am On Jul 06, 2020
UDUJ:

God bless you bro. This was the exact match that made me fall in love with Manchester United
Really.......... nice
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by dejavuh0007(m): 9:53am On Jul 06, 2020
I didn't start supporting a football club until 2009. Though, I first knew about club football in 2006 during the Arsenal Vs Barca champions League final. I noticed Funaab students trooping into our flat that faithful night and I was wondering what was happening. Then the match started and it made sense why they were all in our flat. I remember watching the match with dem and the only player I heard them screaming his name was Henry, they were also calling him different names like Igwe, King Henry, vroom vroom titi King Henry. Everything didn't just make sense to me that night, though I watched the match, I still didn't understand all the hype the students were feeling that night, and after the match ended, I noticed most of dem left feeling dejected - I still didn't know why but I later got to find out why when I started watching football fulltime smiley
Some three years later - that's 2009, I was in SS2 then, I remember going to watch a match - what made me go that night I don't know coz it was quite unusual, though the viewing centre is like a 2-mins walk from our house and the owner is a family friend. I got there and I started watching the match, I didn't even know which teams where playing that night, but I just noticed most people there where cheering for Drogba and I enjoyed it. The match ended in a draw - a 1-1 draw I think, and I noticed most people cheering for Drogba were sad and started leaving. I didn't understand why coz the match ended in a draw and I was expecting them to play a penalty to decide the winner so I was confused as to why the other team won despite the fact that the match ended in a draw. I remember tapping someone and asking him why the team in blue lost despite a draw, I remember the man mumbling something like "they lost because of away goals". I scratched my head coz I didn't understand the concept of away goals den, he tried his best to explain to me but I still didn't get it. Well, I felt bad because Chelsea lost coz I felt they were cheated {lol} because the match ended in a draw. And it was on that night a bond was forged and a loyalty to Chelsea was born in me, the rest like they say, "is history".
I got to understand why Chelsea lost despite a draw that night years later though {lol).

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by judedwriter(m): 9:53am On Jul 06, 2020
I started supporting man utd after their treble win in 1999. But one player that really impressed me was christiano Ronaldo.

He had a lot of speed and lot of running then and was always carrying the team forward even when they were losing.

He remains my favorite man utd player smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by donprinyo(m): 9:55am On Jul 06, 2020
Chelsea, cos of double Dee

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by haweezii(m): 9:57am On Jul 06, 2020
2007/2008 champions league final against Chelsea

I remember my friends making jest of me because we first lost the penalty but I thank God we finally won. Manchester United for life.

GGMU

1 Share

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by abdullkabar(m): 9:57am On Jul 06, 2020
Since secondary school
I have always love the blue color
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by francismob: 9:58am On Jul 06, 2020
Calicoe:
Started supporting Chelsea the year roman bought the club. Chelsea stopped the man utd/arsenal domination then.
I think both Roman Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour both hate Manchester United for them to buy a contender club. Surprisin no one mentioned my dear Bayern Munich.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by ojay85: 9:58am On Jul 06, 2020
Liverpool fc........

The iconic win of 2005.... can never be diminished. It was the greatest comeback of all time.

Since then my love for LFC grew. Whether Win, loose or Draw. I love to watch them play.

Now We are World Champion, European Champion and Premier Leaulgue Champion.

WE NEVER WALK ALONE....... LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 9:59am On Jul 06, 2020
A305:
Interesting thread.

I guess my love affair with Chelsea fc started in 2005/2006 after I briefly flirted with Bacelonia FC.

It all began when I was an avid newpapers reader in that period of my life, each time I picked a newspaper to read news and matters arising, when I reach the sport/football section and glance at the English Premier league table One club with an unpopular name at the time use to be top of that table for every week - l loved the name first initially but this club never seems to drop from that number 1 spot on that table for several weeks into months.

Keep in mind, I wasn't watching football at the time nor did I ever have any access to watch the premier league (we didn't have DSTV), I just know lots of people (men) take interest in football and I love playing as well and could recognize popular names like Batistuta, Ortega, Ronaldo and the likes prior to world cup competition.

Club football was relatively new to me at that point of my life and the only club I stuck with but not like i love them that much was Bacelonia, this was because Ronaldinho, Man was a football god at the time, I loved him and still do. Ronaldinho made me loved the idea of picking Barcelona as my favourite club.

If laliga was as popular in the Nigeria media at that time, I would have stuck with them but English premier league dominated the Nigerian media more.

So basically, The moment of truth came when Chelsea finally squared up to Bacelonia in Champions league - I just loved the ROMAN ARMY era of Chelsea fc and their winning ways, it was a tough decision, however, I was neutral during the match but I can't can't deny love for Chelsea at that point. Lots of chelsea players influenced my decision back to have joined them, players like;

Drogba
Hernan Crespo
Darmen Duffy
Celestine Babayaro
Lampard Frank
Baba Terrible Terry
Geremi
Arjen Robben (man was playing like Ronaldo and Messi combined at the time)
Gudijossen
Kezman
Joecole
Ricardo Calvaho.

I still love Chelsea till data and my daughter is gonna be named Chelsea. I love Roman Abramovic too.

Sweet memory there. You had a more objective reason for choosing Chelsea. May the love not fade.

3 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 10:02am On Jul 06, 2020
grin
TheOmoney:
Our TV, standing fan, pressing iron, fridge was SHARP....Became an ardent Man Utd fan since year 2000 cos of that. grin

Hilarious! angry
TheOmoney:
Our TV, standing fan, pressing iron, fridge was SHARP....Became an ardent Man Utd fan since year 2000 cos of that. grin

Hilarious!
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by scylentstorm(m): 10:05am On Jul 06, 2020
great664:
It is a long story but worth reading.... Relax and enjoy

I move to an area where football is like a festival, every weekend people queue up to watch the game, argue, laugh and share history together. And yes, everyone supporting one club, Liverpool was majority then and the high class supporters.

I don’t have interest nor support any but gradually to waste time with them, i started watching the game with them but one thing was certain, I don’t favor any club whoever score is totally fine with me.

As months, years went by I began to feel my heart beating fast whenever Real Madrid is playing, either winning or loosing, playing against big or small club.

The day Madrid loose a game will be my worst day while other clubs means nothing to me.

The funny things is in my country Premiere League is what everyone support and only watch El_Clásico but that’s not me. Though, they found it weird.

After many months i started reading Real Madrid history, watching videos, trophies etc then i proclaim myself a Real Madrid fan and everything around me speak Madrid.

The best club in the whole world

Santiago Bernabéu where HISTORY is Made.

#HalaMadrid y na da mas

Hala Madrid!

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by sib55: 10:05am On Jul 06, 2020
I was in a class where we sat 7 people on a long bench back in 2003. I was forced to join Chelsea from the pressure of the other 6 boys I sat with then, even without being a football lover. I was always lost in conversation the boys held. so I developed an interest and started doing steady follow-up so as to know what the boys were talking about. that was it for me.. Chelsea FC. although I'm now a fan of good football, but also an anti-Gardiola grin.

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by ogweye: 10:06am On Jul 06, 2020
Mine was back in 2004 some police men were transferred to our police barracks then in Kano. They always discuss football and I took interest. I Remember going to watch my first ever chelsea match with one them. He made me and my cousin to love chelsea. Chelsea lost to daren fletcher loan goal against united. Its been Chelsea❤ all the way since then. Its over 14yrs now how time flies.

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Iphran6: 10:12am On Jul 06, 2020
2004 when Ronaldinho Gaucho de Assisi first came to Barcelona, he made football a beauty to behold, I fell in love with football and also Fc Barcelona, since then till now, till forever, I remain a Barca fan, come rain, come shine
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Yale9(m): 10:23am On Jul 06, 2020
Looks like Manchester United has the most fans from what I'm seeing.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Bgetto: 10:27am On Jul 06, 2020
Realmadrid 2002 we are the best

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Allen Onyema Promises Super Eagles N20m For Cape Verde Win / Chelsea Sign Raheem Sterling From Manchester City For £50 Million / Adeleke Adekunle Replaces Kenneth Omeruo For Benin, Lesotho Games

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.