Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! (9483 Views)

Why Are There Different Ages Of Consent Across The World? / “if You’re Looking To Marry, Stay Away From Ladies Below The Age Of 25” / My Fiancee Got A Job With The Help Of Her Ex Without My Consent, Please Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by eazzzy1(m): 8:08pm On Jul 09, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

But the below screenshot is telling u that Google is wrong

Thank you for the info, It’s clearer now.
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by PoliteActivist: 12:28am On Jul 10, 2020
VirginFinder:

Yinusa's lawyers were talking about appealing the judgment to ask for the 4 sentences to run concurrently.

Punishment for rape should life imprisonment, isn't it So why was he sentenced to 7 years for each charge

@bolded is a figment of your imagination.

The court was able to establish that there was abduction, induction, deception, coercion and procurement all the way. The girl stood no chance of giving consent.

If the girl were 23, the sentences will still be the same.

You don't know this case well. There was no abduction. She admitted she willingly went with him. See the circled below

Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 1:25am On Jul 10, 2020
VirginFinder:

She didn't give consent. Otherwise, the man wouldn't have been caught.

Consent is the issue here.
Where does it say that?
He was not charged for doing it. He was charged for doing it AGAINST A MINOR

By the way, see the screenshot below how this person was sentenced to 6 years despite being convicted about a 5 year old

Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 1:31am On Jul 10, 2020
eazzzy1:

Thank you for the info, It’s clearer now.

U r welcome. I don’t know how people like Virginfinder
can believe it is possible for a grown man to have sex with an 11 year old without repercussions
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 2:38am On Jul 10, 2020
VirginFinder:

The laws of 2004 and 2015 override the child rights act of 2003 which is why the courts are basing their judgments on them.

According to count 5, the Ese Oruru despite being 14 years old was said not to have given consent. If her consent did not matter, it would not have be stated expressly that she did not give consent.

Based on the sexual offences bill of 2015, the age of consent is now 11. The link below should enlighten you more.

https://legalpediaonline.com/just-decided-latest-judgement-january-30th-2015-2/

Also, ageofconsent.net has the authentic age of consent of all countries in the world based on their most recent laws. Check it out and you will find that the age of consent in Nigeria is 11.

The following will shut u down for good.
After reading it humbly collect your L and bow out.
cheesy cheesy cheesy It’s been nice chatting witcha.

THIS IS THE LETTER OF THE LAW!
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/185851-fact-check-nigerias-sexual-offences-bill-stipulates-18-years-not-11-years-as-age-of-consent.html

Below, I present screenshots of it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 2:44am On Jul 10, 2020
Virginfinder, here’s the rest of it.
Read it, eat your humble pie, then bow out

Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by Fearlez: 8:22am On Jul 10, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/185851-fact-check-nigerias-sexual-offences-bill-stipulates-18-years-not-11-years-as-age-of-consent.html

VirginFinder is an illiterate in full effect. One of the most ignorant person I have ever come across online and in real time.

A staggering fool who has no knowledge of the law and still listen to news while keeping one eye on cartoon network.

The man is completely turn between his desire for child-sex and his limitation of English comprehension.
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by VirginFinder: 9:19am On Jul 10, 2020
PoliteActivist:

You don't know this case well. There was no abduction. She admitted she willingly went with him. See the circled below

What do you make of count 2 below

Count two: “That you, Yunusa Dahiru, abducted Ese Oruru by means of coercion, transported and harboured her in Kano State and thereby committed an offence punishable under section 13(2)(b) of the Trafficking in Persons (prohibition) Enforcement and Administration Act, 2015.”

Abduction still featured in count 2.
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by VirginFinder: 9:22am On Jul 10, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Where does it say that?
He was not charged for doing it. He was charged for doing it AGAINST A MINOR

By the way, see the screenshot below how this person was sentenced to 6 years despite being convicted about a 5 year old

No! He was charged for doing it against her consent.

Charge is not equivalent to sentence.

And hasn't he been granted bail already
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by VirginFinder: 9:27am On Jul 10, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

U r welcome. I don’t know how people like Virginfinder
can believe it is possible for a grown man to have sex with an 11 year old without repercussions

You are being emotional. The law is not about emotions... grin

Visit the link below to see the submissions of honourable justices of the Supreme Court on the matter

Let me assist you with one of the submissions:

SEX – WHETHER A CHILD IS CAPABLE OF CONSENTING TO SEX
“This is the well laid down position of the law, that a girl under the age of 11 is a child and so is not capable of consenting to sex. The court would hold that she did not consent even if she did consent. A child cannot consent to sex, that is the position of the law”. PER B.RHODES-VIVOUR, JSC

I have given you recent court judgments on the matter. Yet you still choose to dwell on emotions and wishful thinking... embarassed
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by Charleys: 9:39am On Jul 10, 2020
All I can say is

Toto get power

grin
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by VirginFinder: 9:39am On Jul 10, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Another opinionated editorial.

All these articles and editorials don't count in court.

I have given you valid court judgments to corroborate the stand of the law. The most recent one was even given by a woman.

Let me spell them out clearly again:

Defilement of Under-aged Girls: What is the Verdict of the Supreme Court of Nigeria?

Hon. Justice John Inyang Okoro, JSC
The above notable and profound pronouncement forms part of the ipsissima verba of my lord, the Hon. Justice Okoro, Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria when he delivered the leading Judgment on Friday, 30th January, 2015 in the case of BONIFACE ADONIKE v. THE STATE (2015) 7 N.W.L.R (pt 1458) 237 at 266 paragraphs B-D. The case of Boniface Adonike (Supra) once more brings to the fore the duty on sentencing authorities to show in the application of the law that society abhors cases of defilement of young girls. The law on defilement of under-aged girls in Nigeria is provided in Section 218 of the Criminal Code, Cap. 42, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria. The section provides that “any person who has unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl under the age of thirteen years is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for life, with or without whipping”. Any person who attempts to have unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl under the age of thirteen years is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for fourteen years, with or without whipping. [/b]A prosecution for either of the offences defined above in this section must be begun within two months after the offence is committed. A person cannot be convicted of either of the offences defined in this section upon the uncorroborated testimony of one witness.

[b]Yinusa's charges

The charges against Yunusa read: “That you, Yunusa Dahiru, a male, resident in Opolo-Eipie area of Yenagoa in Bayelsa State, conspired with the duo of Dankano Mohammed and Mallam Alhassan, between August 2015 and February 2016, to commit an offence of abduction and thereby committed offence punishable under section 27(a) of the Trafficking in Persons (prohibition) Enforcement and Administration Act, 2015.”

Count two: “That you, Yunusa Dahiru, abducted Ese Oruru by means of coercion, transported and harboured her in Kano State and thereby committed an offence punishable under section 13(2)(b) of the Trafficking in Persons (prohibition) Enforcement and Administration Act, 2015.”

Count three: “That you, Yunusa Dahiru induced Ese Oruru by the use of deception and coercion to go [/b]with you from Yenagoa to Kano State with the intent that she be forced or seduced into illicit intercourse and thereby committed an offence punishable under section 15(a) of the Trafficking in Persons (prohibition) Enforcement and Administration Act, 2015.”

Count four:
“That you, Yunusa Dahiru, procured Ese Oruru and subjected her to sexual exploitation in Kano State and thereby committed an offence punishable under section 16(1) of the Trafficking in Persons (prohibition) Enforcement and Administration Act, 2015.”

Count five: “That you, Yinusa Dahiru, had unlawful carnal knowledge of Ese Oruru without her consent and thereby committed an offence contrary to section 357 of the criminal code Act and punishable under section 358 of the Criminal code ACT, Cap. C.38 laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.”

What else can be clearer on the subject above than the judgments above

Visit Ageofconsent.net/world to see the list of countries and their respective ages of consent.
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by VirginFinder: 9:51am On Jul 10, 2020
CanadaOrBust:
Virginfinder, here’s the rest of it.
Read it, eat your humble pie, then bow out

I know the sexual offences bill of 2015 so well.

The problem with the bill which technically made the age of consent 11 as discovered by legal luminaries is shown below:

Since the passage of the Sexual Offences Bill 2015 a few weeks ago, there has been great agitation from several quarters about the true import of the Bill. To many of the pundits and agitators, the Bill is anathema because of its anticipated provision criminalising sexual activity with a child aged eleven or less. In their opinion, such a provision officially sanctions eleven years as the approved age for sexual activity by children in Nigeria.

https://allafrica.com/stories/201506170104.html

The recent court judgments have been based on the this law and the Criminal code ACT, Cap. C.38 laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
Nigeria's age of consent is 11, my brother... embarassed
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by VirginFinder: 9:53am On Jul 10, 2020
[s]
Fearlez:
VirginFinder is an illiterate in full effect. One of the most ignorant person I have ever come across online and in real time.

A staggering fool who has no knowledge of the law and still listen to news while keeping one eye on cartoon network.

The man is completely turn between his desire for child-sex and his limitation of English comprehension.
[/s]

Olodo!
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 12:16pm On Jul 10, 2020
Fearlez:

No need for ad hominem attacks or insults. Instead annihilate the man with clear reasoning and research as I am doing
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 12:24pm On Jul 10, 2020
VirginFinder:

What do you make of count 2 below

Abduction still featured in count 2.

I think I’ve finally found what the problem is - where u got your list of charges from is faulty!
Everywhere else ((like below) the charges listed include sex with a minor.
The below is from a professional Lawyer magazine

Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by VirginFinder: 12:33pm On Jul 10, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

No need for ad hominem attacks or insults. [b]Instead annihilate the man with clear reasoning and research as I am doing[/]

Forget that luuunatic.

@bolded I think I have been the one doing the annihilation...

I am the only one bold enough to stand up to you all.

I don't support paedophilia or child molestation but at the same time the law is the law.

Let us petition the NASS to pass a law stating categorically that the age of consent is 18.

What we have now technically says 11. The judges agree.

So don't blame me. Blame the law and lawmakers.

Why should someone be liable for having consensual sexxx with a lady that is already exposed What a booby trap!

By nature, no innocent girl below 18 will readily make herself available for sexxx. They can only be raped. And then that is a crime!

Sometime ago, I knew a lady who was ready to do all sorts of immoral stuffs with me. In fact, she would be the one to initiate it. She could grab my diccck if I allowed her.
Later, I found out that she had been abused very very early. So will you blame anyone who decides to have consensual sexx with her when she was 11 and above
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 12:36pm On Jul 10, 2020
VirginFinder:

No! He was charged for doing it against her consent.

Charge is not equivalent to sentence.

And hasn't he been granted bail already

No where does it say anything about consent. Here is verbatim:
“Makinde, who according to his Counsel, Tunbosun Oladipupo, is impotent, was arraigned on one count bordering on sexual assault of a 13-year-old.”

If she were 23 they wouldn’t have said “... one count bordering on sexual assault of a 23-year-old.”!
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by VirginFinder: 12:43pm On Jul 10, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

I think I’ve finally found what the problem is - where u got your list of charges from is faulty!
Everywhere else ((like below) the charges listed include sex with a minor.
The below is from a professional Lawyer magazine

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/05/ese-orurus-abductor-sentenced-to-26-years-in-prison/

https://guardian.ng/news/five-years-after-ese-orurus-abductor-to-spend-26-years-in-jail/

I choose the dailies above over one opinionated law magazine anytime anyday.

How dare you alter the charge sheet Vanguard and Guardian can't both be wrong
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by VirginFinder: 12:45pm On Jul 10, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Not where does it say anything about consent. Here is verbatim:
“Makinde, who according to his Counsel, Tunbosun Oladipupo, is impotent, was arraigned on one count bordering on sexual assault of a 13-year-old.”

If she were 23 they wouldn’t have said “... one count bordering on sexual assault of a 23-year-old.”!

So what what would they have said if she were 23
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 12:54pm On Jul 10, 2020
VirginFinder:

So what what would they have said if she were 23

You know full well they’d have said “... one count bordering on sexual assault.”

Give it up, you’ve lost this one.
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by VirginFinder: 12:59pm On Jul 10, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

You know full well they’d have said “... one count bordering on sexual assault.”

Give it up, you’ve lost this one.

Sexual assault is sexual assault. It is not a function of age.
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 1:31pm On Jul 10, 2020
VirginFinder:

You are being emotional. The law is not about emotions... grin

Visit the link below to see the submissions of honourable justices of the Supreme Court on the matter

Let me assist you with one of the submissions:

I have given you recent court judgments on the matter. Yet you still choose to dwell on emotions and wishful thinking... embarassed

U r the one being emotional. I gave u ACTUAL LETTER OF THE LAW. Instead of refuting it with actual letter of the law u r citing doubtful “court judgments” from dubious sources
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 1:40pm On Jul 10, 2020
Charleys:
All I can say is

Toto get power

grin

Nah, its is the urge that is powerful not p***y.
More like konji get power grin
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 1:48pm On Jul 10, 2020
VirginFinder:

Another opinionated editorial.

All these articles and editorials don't count in court.

I have given you valid court judgments to corroborate the stand of the law. The most recent one was even given by a woman.

Let me spell them out clearly again:

Defilement of Under-aged Girls: What is the Verdict of the Supreme Court of Nigeria?

Yinusa's charges

What else can be clearer on the subject above than the judgments above

Visit Ageofconsent.net/world to see the list of countries and their respective ages of consent.

This is akin to, say, we are arguing what Obama thinks. I find a place where Obama wrote down clearly and unambiguously what he thinks. To refute me, instead of finding where Obama also wrote the opposite, u r showing me where someone said what Obama thinks!
I GAVE U EXACT LETTER OF THE LAW; REFUTE IT WITH EXACT LETTER OF THE LAW!!!
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by VirginFinder: 1:54pm On Jul 10, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

This is akin to, say, we are arguing what Obama thinks. I find a place where Obama wrote down clearly and unambiguously what he thinks. To refute me, instead of finding where Obama also wrote the opposite, u r showing me where someone said what Obama thinks!
I GAVE U EXACT LETTER OF THE LAW; REFUTE IT WITH EXACT LETTER OF THE LAW!!!

Are the court judgments I stated not based on the law

Did the judges deliver their judgements based on their personal emotions or sentiments Did they not cite the relevant laws Do you know the law more than they

I told you that those laws are faulty and laden with technical lacunae that implied that the age of consent is 11.
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by VirginFinder: 1:58pm On Jul 10, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

U r the one being emotional. I gave u ACTUAL LETTER OF THE LAW. Instead of refuting it with actual letter of the law u r citing doubtful “court judgments” from dubious sources

Stop being mischievous. The court judgments are all over the internet.

When cases are being decided in court, references are being made to similar cases decided in the past.

The sexual offences bill of 2015 technically stipulated 11 as the age of consent.
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 2:01pm On Jul 10, 2020
VirginFinder:

Forget that luuunatic.

@bolded I think I have been the one doing the annihilation...

I am the only one bold enough to stand up to you all.

I don't support paedophilia or child molestation but at the same time the law is the law.

Let us petition the NASS to pass a law stating categorically that the age of consent is 18.

What we have now technically says 11. The judges agree.

So don't blame me. Blame the law and lawmakers.

Why should someone be liable for having consensual sexxx with a lady that is already exposed What a booby trap!

By nature, no innocent girl below 18 will readily make herself available for sexxx. They can only be raped. And then that is a crime!

Sometime ago, I knew a lady who was ready to do all sorts of immoral stuffs with me. In fact, she would be the one to initiate it. She could grab my diccck if I allowed her.
Later, I found out that she had been abused very very early. So will you blame anyone who decides to have consensual sexx with her when she was 11 and above

@bolded, no sir, you’ve been totally annihilated, and I think u know it - only that pride won’t let u admit it.
I GAVE U EXACT LETTER OF THE LAW; REFUTE IT WITH EXACT LETTER OF THE LAW!
If u can’t, humbly collect your L on your way out.

Sex with a child is defilement. Below is how the constitution defines a child.

Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 10, 2020
eazzzy1:
I think each states set their own laws. In Lagos state it is 18, but a quick search online will show you 11 years is the Nigeria age of consent.

The age of consent is 18 in most western countries because that is the age a child is allowed to move out of her parents house, the age a child is allowed to graduate highschool, get into college, buy a cigarette, alcohol etc.

In Naija we have people going to university at 15 years old, finishing secondary school at 14, getting into the club without ID checks. The question is if I meet a girl in 200level in the uni in quilox, am I supposed to ask for her age before taking her home? If I don’t will that be considered rape?

The age of consent in Nigeria must be 11 years. Those bearded no-brains up north love Young blood and 18 sounds too old for them. By 18 a Hausa girl is already a grandma anyway.
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 2:07pm On Jul 10, 2020
VirginFinder:

Are the court judgments I stated not based on the law

Did the judges deliver their judgements based on their personal emotions or sentiments Did they not cite the relevant laws Do you know the law more than they

I told you that those laws are faulty and laden with technical lacunae that implied that the age of consent is 11.

Look, every case has it’s peculiarlities, also there are incompetent lawyers, there are incompetent judges, there is incompetent newspaper reporting. To avoid all these, you go to the letter of the law - which, in this case, is quite unambiguous.
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by VirginFinder: 2:14pm On Jul 10, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Look, every case has it’s peculiarlities, also there are incompetent lawyers, there are incompetent judges, there is incompetent newspaper reporting. To avoid all these, you go to the letter of the law - which, in this case, is quite unambiguous.

The letters of the law don't preside over cases and deliver judgments. Lawyers and judges do!

How dare you refer to the justices of the Supreme Court as incompetent

It seems whatever doesn't support emotional viewpoint is incompetent... embarassed
Re: Age Of Consent: 11 Or 18??!! by CanadaOrBust: 2:17pm On Jul 10, 2020
VirginFinder:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/05/ese-orurus-abductor-sentenced-to-26-years-in-prison/

https://guardian.ng/news/five-years-after-ese-orurus-abductor-to-spend-26-years-in-jail/

I choose the dailies above over one opinionated law magazine anytime anyday.

How dare you alter the charge sheet Vanguard and Guardian can't both be wrong

If they have same source, as they probably do, they’d both be wrong. Also they were not trying to nail down exact age of consent. The paper I quoted devoted themselves to doing just that and that alone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Love B/w A Blackman And A White Woman / Guys: If A Girl Slapped You What Will You Do / Is This Who We Might Call A Simp?? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.