Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,828 members, 7,813,747 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? - Romance (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? (75482 Views)

Scammed By A Lady. Any Chance Of Getting My Money Back? / How Do I Tell My Fiancee That I Am Tired Of Incessant Sex? / How Do I Tell My Neighbour She Has Staph? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by MrBen619(m): 12:13pm On Aug 14, 2020
Fake news everywhere, is the lady using charm?
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by chukwuibuipob: 12:16pm On Aug 14, 2020
omanzo02:

Lol......I like the fact you are going haywire, suit you right, fiction or not common sense determines if the story added up at all vs benefits of doubt of entertainment. Asking the op to post his official chat with a patient on public forum is a crime, come try it where I live, first u will be sacked and then go to jail..... Goodluck in displaying your crass ignorance!
Where do u live dat odas Neva live/go b4 grin grin?The pipu dat post such on YouTube/internet for all to see aren't scavengers,dey work/live where u live.Since u knw dat it is a crime to post such,why open thread and tell us? U think the pipu dat live where u live dnt read stuff here/knw Mugu/Maga slang.Go and sidon.Even those wey Neva dey where u live are still doing great where dey are.U think dey'll just grab u and trowey Ur black bum in prison? Nonsense
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by AlexandertheGr8(m): 12:17pm On Aug 14, 2020
Who not mind your business sir/ma
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by AlexandertheGr8(m): 12:18pm On Aug 14, 2020
Fiction
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by chukwuibuipob: 12:27pm On Aug 14, 2020
omanzo02:

Lol......I like the fact you are going haywire, suit you right, fiction or not common sense determines if the story added up at all vs benefits of doubt of entertainment. Asking the op to post his official chat with a patient on public forum is a crime, come try it where I live, first u will be sacked and then go to jail..... Goodluck in displaying your crass ignorance!
How is dis official chat? If calling u a thief and post the evil online and got sack,GOOD!
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Geekhard: 12:28pm On Aug 14, 2020
Devise a way to tell him anonymously through electronic means without you being directly involved or traceable to you. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by fabienjoe: 12:31pm On Aug 14, 2020
khia:

You definitely don't know anything about the US.

You are certainly proving your knowledge of the US to me. Good Luck. No one ropes you into anything...except perhaps there's something you're hiding. Reporting a crime cannot create a problem for you, except you're running away from the law and don't wanna be busted..because once the police is involved, they would like to know your identity, including your status in the US..
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by tammie24: 12:46pm On Aug 14, 2020
VickyRotex:

Chitchat doesn't mean phone chat conversation.
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Tell the Illiterate abeg

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by DeAlphaMale(m): 12:51pm On Aug 14, 2020
Damn tell the guy please cry
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by emmatuegbe(m): 1:03pm On Aug 14, 2020
Please tell him, otherwise, if he eventually finds out, he will treat you like the scammer. Informing him will pass the message that not all Nigerians are dubious or fraud inclined. What if this guys eventually commits suicide, after exhausting himself out pursuing love, how would your life fare afterward.
ALEX182:
So I have this American patient who I recently came across. He's a fat dude who is like in his late 40s but has a very jolly and likeable character. I introduced myself and we got talking afterwards.

After a while of chitchat, he asked me where I was from. I told him to take a guess and he said said, you sound like you're Nigerian. I told him (regrettably) that I was Nigerian. He started smiling and told me that he had a Nigerian girlfriend and that we both had similar accents.

He then started telling me recent occurrences that had befallen his girlfriend in Nigeria. He said the lastest story was that she was in Abuja and as she was on her way to the airport in a taxi, the taxi had an accident and she was seriously injured and had to be rushed to the hospital. He said that the hospital demanded money before treatment started and he had to hustle about $4000 and send to her in order for treatment to start.

He said that after a week of her being in the hospital, they wanted to discharge her despite her still being in pain. Because she had exhausted all the $4000 on treatment, he said the hospital had threatened to discharge her on the streets and he was trying to borrow more money to see if he could send it to her so they could continue with her treatments.

He furthermore told me that the girlfriend said that she was a Nigerian American citizen who was currently stuck in Nigeria due to her passport having expired and also due to Covid lockdown at airports in Nigeria. He said she had asked him for $300 to renew her US passport from American embassy in Nigeria.

Another thing that he told me was that just before covid struck, there was a similar pandemic which happened in Nigeria early this year and that his girlfriend had contracted the disease and he had to send her $2000 for treatment. Right now he said he's broke but is waiting for like $2000 disability check from the US government next week which he will send to her as soon as the money clears.

As he was telling me this tale, I was so angry with Nigerians and how they take advantage of people in love to scam them. I wanted to swear for the scammers angry

I'm at a dilemma here. Do I tell him that he's being scammed by Nigerians or do I continue to be professional and just ignore it. Because I don't want him to think I'm involved with it because these oyinbo people can turn everything on your head and accuse you that is your people in conjunction with you that are scamming him. They are that crazy.

The good part of me wants to help him but I'm hesitant that it may turn out bad for me. Please matured responses.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by emmatuegbe(m): 1:05pm On Aug 14, 2020
Please tell him, otherwise, if he eventually finds out, he will treat you like the scammer. Informing him will pass the message that not all Nigerians are dubious or fraud inclined. What if this guys eventually commits suicide, after exhausting himself out pursuing love, how would your life fare afterward.
ALEX182:
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Allsome: 1:18pm On Aug 14, 2020
NobleSeed:
Africa mentality ..when the oyibo where busy planning and making the necessary arrangements where Una dey..? So you are now justifying fraud by what you type up there?

What are you saying ? What am I saying ? Where is the justification of fraud up there? They are they biggest fraudsters themselves. They just know how to keep their acts looking clean even when they are leaving you with the biggest damage.

Them no holy, we no holy. Nobody holy pass. Them dey do us, we dey do them... Shikena.

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by kunkelhanspeter(m): 1:19pm On Aug 14, 2020
ERCROSS:
For the sake of everything good, please tell him. If he finds it hard to believe, ask to prank the lady/benefit boy to send her location, that he's presently in Nigeria
The person is in Nigeria already do you think sending location will be a problem?
Think again
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by ogbonnachrys: 1:26pm On Aug 14, 2020
And intimidating people

Ategberoson:
imagine over $6,000 sent already

exchange rate 384×6000= 2304000

before you know it Voom! dem don buy SUV, Benz and other car, going to clubs, sleeping in hotel, carrying olosho
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by enigmatique(m): 1:34pm On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

That 3rd party thing sounds good. I don't want to breach professional grounds but I want to help. I'll reach out to a social worker then. I work with social workers at my job.

This is a brilliant idea. Why didn't I think of this smiley smiley

Hi ALEX182. For the sake of redeeming your own image as another Nigerian, I would actually prefer that you told him directly. He will be pained to hear the truth, but he will also know that it's not all Nigerians that are scammers or accomplices to the scamming that gets perpetuated by Nigerians. This is the same argument that J111333 was making when he encouraged you to tell him directly. I agree with him. So please tell him directly.

On the other hand, consider what might happen if a social worker tells him on your behalf instead. Unless the social worker reveals you as the source of the info, he will eventually also look like at you in the light of the experience he has had with the scammer and not in the light of the person who saved him from the scam. It would have been best if he were not scammed at all, let alone by a Nigerian. But since he's being scammed by a Nigerian already, it would go a long way in redeeming your image as a Nigerian if he was also delivered from the trap by a Nigerian who saw the trouble he is in.

Thanks.

For your reference, the post by J111333 that I'm talking about is this:
J111333:
If I were you, I would've told him on the spot and even given him hints on how to catch the idiot.
I work so hard to keep my integrity and I hate people that try to ruin it simply because I share original nationality with them.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 14, 2020
Nigerians are already in a bad light, thanks to these scammers. Showing him the videos won't put y'all in any light you're not already in.
If you want Nigerians to stop being in a bad light (that they've put themselves in), you should tell them to desist from scamming others.

I suggested showing him the videos as a means of proof that these romance scammers exist bc just talking to the patient may be ineffective. Many people here are already aware of these scams but there are people like this patient who aren't (they don't watch much Tv or the News, or YouTube, or they so badly want a relationship that they will believe the lies and cooked up stories of what their "lover"/ "girlfriend"/ "boyfriend" in Nigeria is telling them).

I suggested he gets his family involved (if he knows them) bc it may be a family affair, depending on the person's story and bc family members are often unaware their loved ones are being defrauded and may know what to do to talk some sense into their loved one. In my city alone vulnerable individuals have sent over $100,000 of their money to Nigerian scammers. I remember watching an episode of Dr. Phil a year ago in which one man sent about $145,000 to his "girlfriend" in Nigeria and when Dr. Phil sent his people to Nigeria to meet her/investigate they couldn't find her as she/he had gone into hiding. It was a family affair bc the man had lost his wife years earlier and had just started dating again only to fall into the hands of a scammer in Nigeria.

This has everything to do with Nigeria. I'm not afraid to call Nigerians out if I need to nor do I care about protecting any image most of you there don't care to protect yourself.

nnekytravels:

I completely disagree with this method. This would not only put all Nigerians in bad light but of course you. You could lose a patient and many more patients.

Involving his family too is way beyond it. I believe America is not like Nigeria where every little thing, you can report to someone's family member. People like their privacy. Keep it that way.

And finally, it's not that difficult to want to involve a third party like a social worker. You know your environment better though. If you feel it necessary go ahead.

I'd suggest you put it directly to him as a question like" Have you ever considered online scams? Do you know what it is? Tell him a lot of individuals are involved in online fraud(this has nothing to do with Nigeria) and many more have lost a lot to them. From there, you educate him on online scam and how to be watchful against one.

If he's paying attention, this would leave him inquisitive and wanting to do more findings on his own. This at first may not stop him from chatting with the so called gf but would delay the payment.

Now, give him a day or two to ponder on this. Then, next time, ask him if he thinks at any slightest opportunity the gf could be scamming him?. Remember this has nothing to do with Nigeria, so avoid that word. Educate him, leave him yearning for more, counsel him. He's after all your patient and needs all the help he can get.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by NobleSeed(m): 2:08pm On Aug 14, 2020
Allsome:

What are you saying ? What am I saying ? Where is the justification of fraud up there? They are they biggest fraudsters themselves. They just know how to keep their acts looking clean even when they are leaving you with the biggest damage.

Them no holy, we no holy. Nobody holy pass. Them dey do us, we dey do them... Shikena.
stop that crap.... You no holy no me say the next person no holy.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Amorprincesa24: 2:11pm On Aug 14, 2020
Please tell him. That girl/boy is a criminal. They are the ones giving Nigerians bad name. If there is a way that person can get arrested, that your friend should follow the protocol for complaints on scammers.
Lazy youth! Stealing someone's hard earn money just for show offs. At the end they use it to buy cars just to oppress people who are doing legit. Rubbish! Heartless human being.

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by abbey621(m): 2:33pm On Aug 14, 2020
onoja12:
I was going to give a long responce but changed my mind simply put you are not Nigerian.listen well where loyality lay determines your decision.your thinking is sewed in favour of where your loyality lays.i am a nigerian,i live in nigeria,my children are born in Nigeria and i would die in Nigeria.to me Nigeria comes first and only.my loyality is to Nigeria and its future.it is not for sale or migration.its not heaven but it is mine.get it

quote author=abbey621 post=92791327]

Don't be ridiculous! Unlesss you've lived in another person's shoes, you can't tell them how to live their life! Some people have no reason whatsoever to be proud of Nigeria, just like we have many Americans over here that are ashamed of being called American. Furthermore, what has big companies got to do with this discussion? Are you trying to justify reasons for whites being scammed? Perhaps you meant these companies are taking Nigerian resources, if this is the case you've got no one to blame but your useless government and your fellow citizens who vote for them!

Let's respect the rights of others to have their own beliefs without labeling them slaves or stupid.....You're an adult, behave like one!

That's your cup of tea and yours alone, I'm sure you wouldn't say this shit to a friend of mine who left 9ja for over 20 years only to return and on his way from the airpot he got robbed, his sister was shot, at the hospital they refused to treat her because of no police report, they spent 3 hours going from hospital to hospital and the one that accepted to treat her demanded 500k deposit. My guy had all his dollars stolen so no money, he had to call friends in the middle of the night to come to his aide, by the time the money came, the sister was dead.

My guy frustrated and all, now had a dead body, the police detained him asking silly questions and no passport or identification to even think about getting back to the USA. For this person, would you spew the same bullshit? Would you tell him there's no place like 9ja and that he should be happy and patrotic? This is just one experience, if I showed you people with more experiences at the zoo called 9ja you would cry like a baby....Just maintain your lane and know that your opinion is? JUST YOUR OPINION!
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by OgbeniSamm(m): 2:40pm On Aug 14, 2020
chukwuibuipob:
u are deaf N dumb upstairs.Stuff like dis is online to read.With evidence.u Neva hear bout copy and paste b4? Nutz

I can always disagree with you bro, and there are times I might just not like your reasoning and judgment, but one thing is certain, it is that I really admire your commitment to your stupidity and foolishness. Keep it up�
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by twilliamx(m): 2:42pm On Aug 14, 2020
Olude193:
Please tell him o...

Do not hesitate

Yahoo boys on the prowl

As at the time I checked ur post....check how many likes u had...

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by nnekytravels: 2:48pm On Aug 14, 2020
OutsideTheBox:
Nigerians are already in a bad light, thanks to these scammers. Showing him the videos won't put y'all in any light you're not already in.
If you want Nigerians to stop being in a bad light (that they've put themselves in), you should tell them to desist from scamming others.

I suggested showing him the videos as a means of proof that these romance scammers exist bc just talking to the patient may be ineffective. Many people here are already aware of these scams but there are people like this patient who aren't (they don't watch much Tv or the News, or YouTube, or they so badly want a relationship that they will believe the lies and cooked up stories of what their "lover"/ "girlfriend"/ "boyfriend" in Nigeria is telling them).

I suggested he gets his family involved (if he knows them) bc it may be a family affair, depending on the person's story and bc family members are often unaware their loved ones are being defrauded and may know what to do to talk some sense into their loved one. In my city alone vulnerable individuals have sent over $100,000 of their money to Nigerian scammers. I remember watching an episode of Dr. Phil a year ago in which one man sent about $145,000 to his "girlfriend" in Nigeria and when Dr. Phil sent his people to Nigeria to meet her/investigate they couldn't find her. It was a family affair bc the man had lost his wife years earlier and had just started dating again only to fall into the hands of a scammer in Nigeria.

This has everything to do with Nigeria. I'm not afraid to call Nigerians out if I need to nor do I care about protecting any image most of you there don't care to protect yourself.

And I believe the word "Online Scam" was neither first used for us or developed for us. Think on that.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 14, 2020
VickyRotex:

Chitchat doesn't mean phone chat conversation.

He already embarrassed himself on a Public Forum. Please don't make it that obvious grin

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by DexterousOne(m): 2:50pm On Aug 14, 2020
onoja12:
If you are regratably a Nigerian,then you are not Nigerian but rather a slave minded individual,a white ass licker,now let me ask you questions,while there mulitilatral and big companies are here scaming Nigeria do you show same petty for the Nigerians,the answer is ovious,the sickness of a black mind is deep they help everybody but themselves,save everybody but themselves,worship everybody but themselves believe in everybody but themselves my advice to you tell him if you want to but to come here to speak nagative of the Nigerian ideninty because of your slave mindedness is stupidity.

What you typed up here makes no sense
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Chiblings: 2:55pm On Aug 14, 2020
Get a cash bonus to invest when you sign up and save on Cowrywise with my invite code JUSTI2TS or invite link https://get.cowrywise.com/r/Justi2Ts
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

That 3rd party thing sounds good. I don't want to breach professional grounds but I want to help. I'll reach out to a social worker then. I work with social workers at my job.

This is a brilliant idea. Why didn't I think of this smiley smiley

Too much oyinbo cheese bro! Reduce it because it dulls the mind grin

That is why no matter how far I travel, I must to stay close to My Naija. Why? Street Wisdom too boku for Naija, Lagos to be Precise. No Dulling! Ngige sabi wetin hin dey talk when hin dey claim Lagos Boy by force cheesy
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by DarkTruth: 3:03pm On Aug 14, 2020
Please Nigerians...
Learn to mind your businesses. "Dem no dey tell person because everybody gast learn dia own lessons in life". He will definitely get over whatever the outcome will be but my brother, stay professional and mind your business. No matter how much you try to sugarcoat it, blacks will always be shits to the whites. There is never going to be an end to racism and the picture they get whenever they see the color of your skin.
So all these *holier than thou* people should focus more on how to help poor Nigerians around them if they are so righteous and wants to do something good for anyone. People like me and the enlightened Nigerians knows there is never going to be a balanced in how the whites see the blacks.
God bless Nigeria��, God bless Africa✊�

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 14, 2020
That doesn't matter. Irrelevant.

nnekytravels:

And I believe the word "Online Scam" was neither first used for us or developed for us. Think on that.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Hifeylove: 3:08pm On Aug 14, 2020
Are you NORMAL? THe same way he’s your patient is the same way he’s a client to someone else... find your gaari make the scammer find him garri too nAh.... na waa for you ooo...
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by chukwuibuipob: 3:15pm On Aug 14, 2020
OgbeniSamm:

I can always disagree with you bro, and there are times I might just not like your reasoning and judgment, but one thing is certain, it is that I really admire your commitment to your stupidity and foolishness. Keep it up�
U are stupid and defective upstairs.imbe sad
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by VickyRotex(f): 3:30pm On Aug 14, 2020
donbuchi1:

Maybe Lassa fever? Abey oga consultant subtly tell him.

Nah. The OP said the patient mentioned WNV (West Nile virus). Besides, Lassa fever was more of an epidemic not pandemic.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Amiblaize77(f): 3:39pm On Aug 14, 2020
Akanoaaa:
Please tell him.

Wow.. FCT for the first time.

I dedicate this to every legit hustlers out there, I pray you won't labor in vain.

Aamiin Aamiin Aamiin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Lady Works Out On A Man's Face At The Gym. See Reactions (Photos) / Why Women Love Lies---true Story / Lady Sleeps With Her Ex-Boyfriend's Father, Mocks Her Ex (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.