Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,894 members, 7,821,122 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! (29640 Views)

Moment Lady Calls Her Dad Before Accepting Her Fiance’s Marriage Proposal (vid) / Woman Took Her Drunk Husband To A Mortuary To Teach Him A Lesson / Wife Sends Photo Of Her Drunk Husband Who Slept In The Toilet To Friend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by desgiezd(m): 10:58am On Sep 03, 2020
@ OP
You are talking about your dad being alcoholic, take a look at your monicker first. There must be a reason why you adopted that name!
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 03, 2020
post=93516307:

An average Nairalander would have told you to kill the guy!!
But in this case, it is obvious there is nothing you can tell him to change his mind.
The only advice we can give you is to tell mom to let the elder ones in both family talk to him, this may not really change him anyways, cos you are talking about your dad here and not your elder brother!

All the very best to your dad.

Btw,
ALCOHOL KILLS!!
PRINT that out in Bold, RED LETTERS and paste it at your front door!

Again, All the very best.

Baba has spoken! grin cheesy smiley

We Rise!

hmm, his family is nothing to write home about. my dad is the most stubborn person I ever know and will take everyone's word with a pinch of salt whenever he's still drinking. He only comes to his senses whenever he stops drinking for like a week.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by descarado: 11:04am On Sep 03, 2020
His life, his choice. There is nothing u can do about that at this stage in his life. If you, your mum are enabling him through finance, you have to stop and concentrate on other things. It's better to start acting like somebody whose dad is dead and start taking responsibility for somethings.

1 Like

Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:04am On Sep 03, 2020
desgiezd:
@ OP
You are talking about your dad being alcoholic, take a look at your monicker first. There must be a reason why you adopted that name!

I just had to create a new moniker because of this issue.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 03, 2020
descarado:
His life, his choice. There is nothing u can do about that at this stage in his life. If you, your mum are enabling him through finance, you have to stop and concentrate on other things. It's better to start acting like somebody whose dad is dead and start taking responsibility for somethings.

true. But what about my mom. she's always sad seeing him like that
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:07am On Sep 03, 2020
UDUJ:

Your dad needs help in fighting this addiction. Right now he needs your love and support. Now is not the time to be hateful. If you are in Lagos try and convince him to visit any of the rehabilitation centres in the list below:

https://www.finelib.com/cities/lagos/health/mental-health/addiction-recovery

thanks, but that can only happen if he's someone I can put a leash on and drag down there.... He's the most stubborn person I've ever met
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by perpeling22(f): 11:08am On Sep 03, 2020
tongue
drunkdad:
he's the eldest of all his siblings and yet, the same alcohol trend run In the family. all his male siblings are chronic drunkards.

I'm his eldest son and I'm totally confused on what to do. right now, we're not on talking terms because his presence alone annoys me. I don't know what to do to make him just focus on his life and get on with his family. take care of himself. and stop being a nuisance to everyone.

That means it is a generational curse. Someone must have placed a curse on that line on them. It means they are being manipulated, pushed to do it unknowingly. Problem detected, is a problem half solved. Look for a genuine spiritual man of God to dig deep into the source of the problem.

1 Like

Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:09am On Sep 03, 2020
globalmart:

Hmm...this one nah prayer case ooh..to be frank..cos it's like it runs in their blood..so I won't say it's a psychological problem..
Keep interceding in his behalf..and be praying for yourself too so u won't follow the evil pattern..
Pray seriously for him so that he could break out of the trend because if it's not broken now u that hates alchol might end up that way unknownly..
One of our family friend the husband it's like that..after much research we found out it's in their linage ...It took a lot of prayer, encouragement and curse breaking to bring him out of it..

So don't detest him...show him so much love, keep talking to him and be praying for him..

Normally it takes time to come out from an addiction..

thanks sir. I really appreciate.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 03, 2020
perpeling22:
tongue

That means it is a generational curse. Someone must have placed a curse on that line on them. It means they are being manipulated, pushed to do it without unknowingly. Problem detected, is a problem half solved. Look for a genuine spiritual man of God to dig deep into the source of the problem.

I'm not really religiously inclined plus I don't even know how to get a real spiritual person.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:14am On Sep 03, 2020
Wisejohnson47:
We are waiting for a better advice please, but I believe if you get too engaged in better activities, you will forget alcohol

exactly what I'm thinking. if only it's possible to help him get a job where he'll never associate with any alcoholic or even have the time for drinking, he'd be better. He's a really smart and good man before he starts drinking. I just wish he could just be "fine". Have a better father like everyone else.

His only source of livelihood is the "okada" he's riding.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:14am On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:

thanks sir. I really appreciate.

U're welcome dear..
Am female..not sir
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by freeman67: 11:14am On Sep 03, 2020
Like someone said above and from your comments, I see a pattern too. I thank God you have choosen a different part and I pray it remains the same.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by elisho: 11:15am On Sep 03, 2020
the Holly book say give a dieying man a drink so he will sleep of and for get his sorrow
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by elisho: 11:16am On Sep 03, 2020
elisho:
the Holly book say give a dieying man a drink so he will sleep of and for get his sorrow
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by perpeling22(f): 11:16am On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:

I'm not really religiously inclined plus I don't even know how to get a real spiritual person.

Where do you live?
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Ukehefirstson: 11:17am On Sep 03, 2020
Seek a medical doctor to advice him the implications that involves in taking alcohol
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 03, 2020
MemoriesAndMe:
For most drunkards, there is always something that triggers it. Its difficult to heal someone with that habit if the source isn't identified. For some, it may be loss of a loved one, unhappiness in a marriage or even financial situation, each of these leading to depression. There definitely has to be a root to it, unless he considers it fun.

If you can sit him down on one of the moments when he's sober and talk to him as calmly as you can, you probably will be able to identify the root of his problems and offer solutions.

You can motivate him by getting him involved in AA meetings. Sometimes hearing of stories of how alcohol has ruined many lives wakes people up and have a re-think. Fortunately, there are online zoom meetings for Alcoholics Anonymous that you can guide him and encourage him to be active in.

It takes a step at a time to overcome alcoholism and he needs your help now. It may be too late if his organs start getting ruined from the habit, so pls be there for him now that he needs your help quitting. All the best bro.

thank you Sir.

One of the things I think may be the cause is that he likes being social and have people to talk to. But instead of him to embrace his family (US) by coming home and spend time with us, he'd rather go to meet his Okada Rider friends and start discussing with them. Sometimes, he comes home as late as 1:30 am and since many of these Okada riders are alcohol drinkers, they'll always pass it to him. That was how he started slipping back into it after his momentary stop 3 years ago.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 03, 2020
perpeling22:

Where do you live?
sango ota in Ogun State
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 03, 2020
frozen70:

My concern is the effect of alcohol to the liver in his body

Is your dad still working to earn a living or his friends gives him free drink

all he does now is ride his Okada out of the house, without leaving a penny for my mom to cook for the day then get to make little money and resume drinking. then he comes back home to sleep in the afternoon before repeating the same in the evening and finally coming back drunk in the midnight.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by perpeling22(f): 11:27am On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:

sango ota in Ogun State
Can you go to Lagos?
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by OluwaChuzy(m): 11:28am On Sep 03, 2020
Since it runs in the Fam, that will make it much harder to stop.

Bro if u have the money, get a Certified Doctor, add something that will scare him to death to his Drink.... Even if it's something that will upset his body system a few hours or days... Just scare him (Why I recommend Certified Doc)

No one loves to be scared to death.

Prayers alone won't do much.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Chukslar: 11:29am On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:

at the end of it all, his deteriorating health condition will be on my mom and me. All of his family members are nothing to write home about. set of very irresponsible and unserious people

First we must all know that Alcohol is addictive and as Christians, we also believe that there is an eveil spirit behind alcoholism.

He is addicted and in every addiction, the victim finds it very very difficult (almost impossible) to stop the addiction on his own.

What he needs help is both a Spiritual and Psychological jolt which will require some sacrifce from both you and your family.

Helping someone out of an addiction is very difficult and requires lots of sacrifices from loved ones.

What you need to do
First get a good spiritual director (a Priest or Pastor) for your family he will come and handle the spiritual aspect then you have to jolt him Psychologically
Secondly, follow him one day to his drinking place and just sit and watch him, make sure you make eye contact and make sure everyone there knows he is your dad. Dont say a word just sit and watch him, allow him drink don't try to stop him after he is done help/follow him home on your way talk to him tell him how much you and the entire family loves him dont ask him to stop drinking just talk about love and care.

Follow him the next day, do that for like 4 days if he continues going there you will notice a small crack/change in his behaviour
If not then go there with your mother also dont try to stop him, if your mum wants to cry let her but she should hold her mouth not to insult or degrade him.

You will surely notice a change from there show him love and support then at this point lead him into discussing his inner struggles and ways to stop it an the same time your family should be praying together.

It will take some time but I am sure you are strong enough to carry this cross.
Congratulations in Advance.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 03, 2020
J111333:
...too much of it.

First is to help him cut down his budget on drinking by telling your mum to seize every money she sees on him and second is to stop praying and start taking action about it.

Target him on the day he chooses not be drunk and get drunk yourself. Force yourself to get drunk just for that day and puke around the house.
Do this and thank me later.
I don't want to see him lay his hands on my mom because he do beat her before and I might do something really stupid if he tries that again. secondly, the last thing I want to put in my mind is alcohol. I don't have time for it. myself, I'm still trying to break the chain of poverty in my life, get myself to better place and take care of my mom and siblings but my dad's behavior is just a thorn in the flesh.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by OluwaChuzy(m): 11:32am On Sep 03, 2020
Every man has something to worry about. His worries may be the reason for his lifestyle, Someone who probably hears diff stories, see diff things when plying his route with his bike, talking alone won't convince him.... He's a MAN.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by robosky02(m): 11:33am On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:
he's the eldest of all his siblings and yet, the same alcohol trend run In the family. all his male siblings are chronic drunkards.

I'm his eldest son and I'm totally confused on what to do. right now, we're not on talking terms because his presence alone annoys me. I don't know what to do to make him just focus on his life and get on with his family. take care of himself. and stop being a nuisance to everyone.

If it runs I the family then seek for a pastor to deliver him
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 03, 2020
Chukslar:

First we must all know that Alcohol is addictive and as Christians, we also believe that there is an eveil spirit behind alcoholism.

He is addicted and in every addiction, the victim finds it very very difficult (almost impossible) to stop the addiction on his own.

What he needs help is both a Spiritual and Psychological jolt which will require some sacrifce from both you and your family.

Helping someone out of an addiction is very difficult and requires lots of sacrifices from loved ones.

What you need to do
First get a good spiritual director (a Priest or Pastor) for your family he will come and handle the spiritual aspect then you have to jolt him Psychologically
Secondly, follow him one day to his drinking place and just sit and watch him, make sure you make eye contact and make sure everyone there knows he is your dad. Dont say a word just sit and watch him, allow him drink don't try to stop him after he is done help/follow him home on your way talk to him tell him how much you and the entire family loves him dont ask him to stop drinking just talk about love and care.

Follow him the next day, do that for like 4 days if he continues going there you will notice a small crack/change in his behaviour
If not then go there with your mother also dont try to stop him, if your mum wants to cry let her but she should hold her mouth not to insult or degrade him.

You will surely notice a change from there show him love and support then at this point lead him into discussing his inner struggles and ways to stop it an the same time your family should be praying together.

It will take some time but I am sure you are strong enough to carry this cross.
Congratulations in Advance.

thanks sir, I'll attempt this too. I pray he gets over it
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Bennysam: 11:37am On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:

That's not ordinary my brother, follow it spiritually
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by MajorGain(m): 11:39am On Sep 03, 2020
My man! I totally understand your fear. The man owns his life and can decide to lavish it but where it affects you are the big responsibilities he would be leaving for you as his first child if he eventually dies. So, your aim is to keep him alive for long and have him retrace his steps.

Fact is that battling addiction is not easy. The person in it knows he gains nothing from it but pulling out and breaking away is not easy. It even becomes more difficult when you're surrounded by birds of same feather. Breaking away from an addiction takes a lot of strong will on the part of the person involved and most times, the person has to be hit hard or be taken to a certain point to realise the mess he has gotten himself in and retrace his steps.

So, if I were in your shoes, this is what I'd do: I'll call them one early morning (himself and mumsy) sit them down and tell them that I went to price coffin. I'll list different prices of coffin (momsy self go shock but I go bone). Tell them that since the man has decided to waste his life and kill himself, you have made up your mind that his only end is death and you have started preparing so it would be easy for you but that you're not stupid enough to waste money to buy very good coffin and plan a funeral with money you'll use to take care of the responsibilities he'd leave behind so, you went to a carpenter who said he can gather dead wood and put up a manageable coffin and also tell him that he knows he does not have any friend that is bouyant enough to support you during and after the burial as all of them are destined for the same path. Tell him he'd start contributing money on daily basis for the burial and make it a point of duty to ask him for the contribution everyday.

In summary, hit the nail on the head and make him realise that he has decided to kill himself and you have also accepted his decision. Then, have him sitted and plan his funeral but present a very pitiable funeral scenario. He should start thinking about his life
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 03, 2020
dking123:

OP, let me advice you. You must be careful not to fall into the temptation of disrespecting your dad. Women can be curning and deceitful.the alcohol that your dad takes didn't stop him from training you.if your mom shoulders some responsibility heaven will not fall. If the man really needs help you may get the services of professionals.

I don't understand what you mean by "women are cunning and deceitful" but in order to avoid disrespecting him, I've totally avoided meeting with him every morning
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by perpeling22(f): 11:43am On Sep 03, 2020
Better still, call this man of God. He is in Lagos. Explain everything to him and if possible, go and see him. When you are seeking solutions, you don't get tired until you get to the end. I'm referring you to him cos I have known him for long and how genuine he is. He will not ask you of any money. Before you contact him, pray that God will reveal everything to you thorough him.

+234 806 043 4010. That's his number.

Bro Small by name.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 03, 2020
MajorGain:
My man! I totally understand your fear. The man owns his life and can decide to lavish it but where it affects you are the big responsibilities he would be leaving for you as his first child if he eventually dies. So, your aim is to keep him alive for long and have him retrace his steps.

Fact is that battling addiction is not easy. The person in it knows he gains nothing from it but pulling out and breaking away is not easy. It even becomes more difficult when you're surrounded by birds of same feather. Breaking away from an addiction takes a lot of strong will on the part of the person involved and most times, the person has to be hit hard or be taken to a certain point to realise the mess he has gotten himself in and retrace his steps.

So, if I were in your shoes, this is what I'd do: I'll call them one early morning (himself and mumsy) sit them down and tell them that I went to price coffin. I'll list different prices of coffin (momsy self go shock but I go bone). Tell them that since the man has decided to waste his life and kill himself, you have made up your mind that his only end is death and you have started preparing so it would be easy for you but that you're not stupid enough to waste money to buy very good coffin and plan a funeral with money you'll use to take care of the responsibilities he'd leave behind so, you went to a carpenter who said he can gather dead wood and put up a manageable coffin and also tell him that he knows he does not have any friend that is bouyant enough to support you during and after the burial as all of them are destined for the same path. Tell him he'd start contributing money on daily basis for the burial and make it a point of duty to ask him for the contribution everyday.

In summary, hit the nail on the head and make him realise that he has decided to kill himself and you have also accepted his decision. Then, have him sitted and plan his funeral but present a very pitiable funeral scenario. He should start thinking about his life

thanks for this too, I might not do this exactly but I've learnt something from it.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by SILVERLINES: 11:44am On Sep 03, 2020
Righteousness89 have u say something in this case?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Five Types Of Fathers Every Nigerian Child Grew Up With / Having A Male Child / Why Do Married Men Run After Young Girls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.