Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,159 members, 7,821,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! (29649 Views)

Moment Lady Calls Her Dad Before Accepting Her Fiance’s Marriage Proposal (vid) / Woman Took Her Drunk Husband To A Mortuary To Teach Him A Lesson / Wife Sends Photo Of Her Drunk Husband Who Slept In The Toilet To Friend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Brightgem(f): 1:23pm On Sep 03, 2020
How do you save a man not ready to save himself. You don't
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by lastclaire4(f): 1:33pm On Sep 03, 2020
MrOjay1:
This is sad.
I suggest you begin to flog your father with cane since he's stubborn.

Cane is the only language a drunkard understands.
It's no use advising him against it because he will surely do otherwise.

If you can't cane him,you can trail him to the bar where he drinks and embarass him and his friends.

Hmm.. be careful the way you advise people. You want him to flog his father so that heaven can shut windows against him?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by lastclaire4(f): 1:37pm On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:
For over 20 years, my dad has being a chronic drunkard. drinking alcohol despite all my mom's effort to try and stop him. 2 years ago, he stopped drinking and he was beginning to look better, speak more coherently and not socially awkward, but now, he has gone back to his past behavior just earlier this year when he started making friends with another guy who drinks alcohol.

All these behavior leads to him not able to work and a lot of behaviors he exhibits that is totally nasty, behaving like a kid.

My mom and I have called him and talked to him on several occasions about it but he still always goes back to drink after he leaves home.

I'm totally fed up, even my mum is very sad about the situation.

How can I deal with this situation..

Dont listen to people saying you should flog your dad. In whatever you do, be very careful so as not to disrespect him in the process. From what you said, it is a generational thing and only God can do it. Your father needs deliverance and you also have pray against alcoholism.

1 Like

Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by RPG2020(m): 1:40pm On Sep 03, 2020
This na village matter so make i enter house
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by madprophet(m): 1:41pm On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:
he's the eldest of all his siblings and yet, the same alcohol trend run In the family. all his male siblings are chronic drunkards.

I'm his eldest son and I'm totally confused on what to do. right now, we're not on talking terms because his presence alone annoys me. I don't know what to do to make him just focus on his life and get on with his family. take care of himself. and stop being a nuisance to everyone.

You better pray and be very proactive so that you don't become a drunkard too
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Skepticus: 1:45pm On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:

hmm, his family is nothing to write home about. my dad is the most stubborn person I ever know and will take everyone's word with a pinch of salt whenever he's still drinking. He only comes to his senses whenever he stops drinking for like a week.

drunkdad you need to understand that your father has passed from being alcohol-dependent to full alcoholism. He can still be managed at this stage because he still manages to take some days off alcohol.

Alcoholism is the worse of addiction because it's legal and accessible.

Also, know that his "stubbornness" is not borne fully out of his will. The addiction has taken over and him having a family history of alcoholism shows that he may have been abusing alcohol for more than the 20 years that you know. It's not an habit that is easy to shake off.

You'll have to do a lot but don't force yourself too much on him nor expect much from him.

Once in a while, when he is sober, make him realize the danger he is putting himself in. Cut off the finance that sponsor his addiction and shame his alcoholic friends.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by damoobaba: 1:53pm On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:
I'm just scared of losing him because, he has a lot of responsibilities unattended to. and again, he's my only father

Shey na me come get 2 fathers ni?
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by silento(m): 2:04pm On Sep 03, 2020
No body wan give good advise here ooh , bro the only way to advise your father is to become a drunker too this way you will understand why he will always left you guys at home and go out to drink

No offence maybe you and your mum insult someone in the name of giving him or her advise

Get close to him and you will know the reason he is this way
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Excuses: 2:32pm On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:

at the end of it all, his deteriorating health condition will be on my mom and me. All of his family members are nothing to write home about. set of very irresponsible and unserious people

I'm a young man like you, in ur case ur the first born..bro u've got a lot to do. shouldering of responsibilities and ur life to take care of..

Some body gave u a good advice, isolate ue dad for a minimum period of 1yr..if he is working that's were the challenge comes in..if he is nt, take him 2 a strange environment..the essence is to break the cycle and starve the alcohol thirst cells replacing the gap with u people know he cherish & loves most.

Lastly pray for him..though am nt d type of guy who believes in pray for this & that because life is choice.!

1 Like

Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by MarieSucre(f): 2:32pm On Sep 03, 2020
Your mother needs to submit more to your father. Submission wipes away all problems.

I'm just kidding.

Your father needs a therapist, you and your mother also, because you also have been dealing with issues for years.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by onome2013: 2:45pm On Sep 03, 2020
Please kindly take him to TB Joshua,where very strong spiritual deliverance shall be done for him to be removed from the family curse
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 03, 2020
For over 20 years, my dad has being a chronic drunkard. drinking alcohol despite all my mom's effort to try and stop him. 2 years ago, he stopped drinking and he was beginning to look better, speak more coherently and not socially awkward, but now, he has gone back to his past behavior just earlier this year when he started making friends with another guy who drinks alcohol.

All these behavior leads to him not able to work and a lot of behaviors he exhibits that is totally nasty, behaving like a kid.

My mom and I have called him and talked to him on several occasions about it but he still always goes back to drink after he leaves home.

I'm totally fed up, even my mum is very sad about the situation.

How can I deal with this situation...

Sorry about ur case bro.

I have a bro that was in similar situation. He is 10yrs older. Then he drinks and smoke weeds. His thought alone affected me psychological in school then that any time I left my book once I remember him tears will start rolling. Coz apart from the fact that he is constituting nuance, he was just wasting his time and he might eventually be implicated for crime he didn't commit. His presence can be equated with sadness and mourning. So what I did was to first of all prayerful hand it over to God. Anytime I remember it I will start praying irrespective of where and who is beside me -sometimes u have to fight anyhow anywhere. With time I stopped crying whenever I remember it. So I started showing him love and care. Calling him, going to visit him. At that point everyone he has helped when he was abroad deserted him even my family. I kept praying. My brother stubbornness get legions. Anytime I mention weeds and acohol. Either he stop picking my calls or he start ignoring me. So by the grace of God he relocated. I kept visiting and praying for him. I was convinced am the only one that can help and that I have the abilities to do that. So I started brioler business for him. He will get the money and use half for weed/Igbo and alcohol. For 2 years, I started the business 4times. He will rear the chicken and eat the money. Funny enough, when he doesn't have money, he will be loyal and once he sells the chicken, vum, bar parlour and all that. I kept believing in Gid, his ability in me and my power to change him. Bro to cut the story short, he just finished selling the last farm produce I started for him, give me three chicken, he called me and was telling me how I have been showing me love, that my love has change him. I can visible see it that he is a change man. I give glory to God.

Your dad knows (deep down) thathe has a problem. Unfortunately he is helpless. You need God more in this case. Go close to him. Help him. Clean him up. Don't advise him too much. You to pray and fast on his behalf. If you can break the addiction, generation unborn may not taste it. But then I need to know your maker and the power you possess. If have not know God and his power, you are helpless and ur case may be worse than his later.

With the experience of my bro, I now know that its when you have problems and when you are weak that you will truly know those who love you.
Love ur dad and do anything possible to recover him from alcohol. If you succeed, the succes will increase ur confidence in ur strength and the supernatural and many will learn from you.
I hope this helps even though ur approach might be dif from mine. May God rescue ur dad and give your family peace in Jesus name. Amen

1 Like

Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 03, 2020
I have a bro that was in similar situation. He is 10yrs older. Then he drinks and smoke weeds. His thought alone affected me psychological in school then that any time I left my book once I remember him tears will start rolling. Coz apart from the fact that he is constituting nuance, he was just wasting his time and he might eventually be implicated for crime he didn't commit. His presence can be equated with sadness and mourning. So what I did was to first of all prayerful hand it over to God. Anytime I remember it I will start praying irrespective of where and who is beside me -sometimes u have to fight anyhow anywhere. With time I stopped crying whenever I remember it. So I started showing him love and care. Calling him, going to visit him. At that point everyone he has helped when he was abroad deserted him even my family. I kept praying. My brother stubbornness get legions. Anytime I mention weeds and acohol. Either he stop picking my calls or he start ignoring me. So by the grace of God he relocated. I kept visiting and praying for him. I was convinced am the only one that can help and that I have the abilities to do that. So I started brioler business for him. He will get the money and use half for weed/Igbo and alcohol. For 2 years, I started the business 4times. He will rear the chicken and eat the money. Funny enough, when he doesn't have money, he will be loyal and once he sells the chicken, vum, bar parlour and all that. I kept believing in Gid, his ability in me and my power to change him. Bro to cut the story short, he just finished selling the last farm produce I started for him, give me three chicken, he called me and was telling me how I have been showing me love, that my love has change him. I can visible see it that he is a change man. I give glory to God.

Your dad knows (deep down) thathe has a problem. Unfortunately he is helpless. You need God more in this case. Go close to him. Help him. Clean him up. Don't advise him too much. You to pray and fast on his behalf. If you can break the addiction, generation unborn may not taste it. But then I need to know your maker and the power you possess. If have not know God and his power, you are helpless and ur case may be worse than his later.

With the experience of my bro, I now know that its when you have problems and when you are weak that you will truly know those who love you.
Love ur dad and do anything possible to recover him from alcohol. If you succeed, the succes will increase ur confidence in ur strength and the supernatural and many will learn from you.
I hope this helps even though ur approach might be dif from mine. May God rescue ur dad and give your family peace in Jesus name. Amen

1 Like

Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by yeme7(m): 3:12pm On Sep 03, 2020
Your own story is good comparing to my own... My dad is worst than your dad... My dad is chronic addict alcoholist.... Permit me to use that previous word.... My dad body appearances has changed all we are planning for is to make money quick so if any happen to him so we could stand... My case is similar to ur case but more worse than ur case, my dad quarrels, disgrace us, cursing we the children, saying abominable things in front of people, u know that kind thing, for me I stop praying for him..... Because I know it won't work for dad, the worst thing is that my dad is a church addict and nver admits his mistakes.... Even now we are graduate no job my dad still curse us when u tell u him the bad side of Alcohol he will say a curse.... My guy ur own case is just too easy as I'm typing this my dad stop eating in the house, stop given us feeding money, started last year till now, during the lockdown he almost gave up.... Mehn life is hard..... Sometimes we the children got depressed, his brothers are wicked and since I was given birth none has visited him even when we complained to them, none.... So sad that some of us are experiencing this difficult life when no back no front, sometimes I do cry and asked God why all these..... My dad issue started 2004 till now... Bro just take heart
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by thoollz: 3:14pm On Sep 03, 2020
Excuses:

I'm a young man like you, in ur case ur the first born..bro u've got a lot to do. shouldering of responsibilities and ur life to take care of..

Some body gave u a good advice, isolate ue dad for a minimum period of 1yr..if he is working that's were the challenge comes in..if he is nt, take him 2 a strange environment..the essence is to break the cycle and starve the alcohol thirst cells replacing the gap with u people know he cherish & loves most.

Lastly pray for him..though am nt d type of guy who believes in pray for this & that because life is choice.!

Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by sirjamesjnr(m): 3:31pm On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:
he's the eldest of all his siblings and yet, the same alcohol trend run In the family. all his male siblings are chronic drunkards.

I'm his eldest son and I'm totally confused on what to do. right now, we're not on talking terms because his presence alone annoys me. I don't know what to do to make him just focus on his life and get on with his family. take care of himself. and stop being a nuisance to everyone.

May God not make us raise children who are us as nuisance. Did you know what makes your daddy to see alcohol as his soulmate?
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Abu4real64: 3:31pm On Sep 03, 2020
it's so sad that your dad is in this terrible condition. one thing you must know, your dad is still your dad no matter his habit. do not keep malice with your father. continue praying, talk to him and show him love. with prayers, nothing is in possible. he will change with time. may God help your family.
drunkdad:

Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Preciouschinwe(f): 3:33pm On Sep 03, 2020
daddytime:

Very sorry about this situation you are faced with.

However, my earnest prayer for you is that whatever it is, even if it's a generational curse, the chains, and the cycle shall be halted and broken at your juncture.

It won't be passed on to you, your siblings, and lineage going forward.
you are very right @the bolded
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by wfjimmytobby(m): 3:55pm On Sep 03, 2020
leave the old man make he shayo..shayo dey sweet..na him go tire.. ;Dleave the old man make he shayo..shayo dey sweet..na him go tire..
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Ethannathan(m): 3:58pm On Sep 03, 2020
Can you flog your dad cos he is a drunk and he misbehaves? If you can,I've gat no word for you
MrOjay1:
This is sad.
I suggest you begin to flog your father with cane since he's stubborn.

Cane is the only language a drunkard understands.
It's no use advising him against it because he will surely do otherwise.

If you can't cane him,you can trail him to the bar where he drinks and embarass him and his friends.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by descarado: 4:34pm On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:

true. But what about my mom. she's always sad seeing him like that
She has to accept the fact that her husband is a drunk.
The ship has long sailed. Probably something made him start drinking and instead of fishing that out and solving it, she was admonishing and guilt tripping him( words addicts hate most) and of course comparing him with his successful mates. I'm pretty sure u do that too.
U guys are making him go deeper into the habit actually.

And it's high time u all start listening to his complaint instead of complaining.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by ksly24(m): 4:43pm On Sep 03, 2020
Tadeus:

This is d real problem. How dare you say dis about your biological dad? I wish my dad was still alive. I shed tears reading dis from you. No matter wah, respect your parents and always show dem love. Treat him nice and show love now dah he is still alive. Also pray for him, he will change. He needs ur support
You talk like someone that hasn't experienced the behaviour of a misbehaving parent(s), seems you don't knw how it feels to watch ur father embarrass you and the family repeatedly, or ignore the needs of the family and become self centered, he's right to say the thing his father has turned into.

1 Like

Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 03, 2020
Something must have happened to him that could have led to emotional trauma and thereby resulting to this.
What job was he doing before he lost his focus?
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 5:48pm On Sep 03, 2020
We are many in this boat. But despite the whole of the situation I just ensure I don't disrespect him. He's my dad anyway. And I have learnt a lot from his past mistakes.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by EdwardRandy(m): 5:49pm On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:

I'm forced to comment when I read the alcohol trend runs in the family. Guy don't you think something is wrong somewhere? How sure are u that in the next 20yrs u won't find ursef in ur father's shoes? (May God 4bid) Have u ever wondered if this is a generational curse? Or you're one of those Africans who don't believe juju exists? I laugh u if u're one of them.. Your mother has been praying for 20yrs yet no changes, how much more does she need to pray b4 she gets tired? Isn't it high time you tried other places? I am a traditionalist by faith and if your family is one of those who have regards for African spirituality, I'll advise you consult a native doctor (dibia) if you're igbo or consult afa/baba if you're Yoruba. There must be an answer to your questions, I wish u the best.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by englois: 6:02pm On Sep 03, 2020
@ OP
Sometimes, drunkenness comes lack of achievements and fulfilments. Most people that drink do so to drown their sorrows. Get close to your dad and discuss. The discussion will be to sincerely appreciate for all his sacrifices towards the family from infancy till date. Father's receive little to no appreciation in comparison to mothers who receive all the accolades. Tell your mother and siblings to start appreciating him. Tell him you love him. Become his talk buddy, early in the morning, @ night. Call him and ask about him. He deserves it. Gist with him. Even with your financial constraints, when you go out, buy him fast foods, sometimes buy him wine albeit cheap, Take him out to viewing center to watch football, buy him T-Shirt & jeans with sneaker just anything to make him have a feel of belonging. All I'm saying is show him LOVE. After that, he will change with prayers.

1 Like

Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 03, 2020

I'm inspired. thanks for this. Amen to all the prayers. I really appreciate.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by seanery: 6:13pm On Sep 03, 2020
Ur mum blind wen she fell inlove with him nii??
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Taway(m): 6:15pm On Sep 03, 2020
drunkdad:

I just wish there's a proactive step I can take to just bring everything to a stop because if it's prayer. my mom has been doing that for over 20 years

------------ + -----------
If you are a born again christian and you worship in a congregation that abhors alcohol then be hopeful.
First, start with fervent prayers to God for his salvation and deliverance from alcoholic life.
Next, let your pastor know about the alcoholic life of your father.
With the help of your pastor, let your church members, preferably those of his age brackets visit him regularly. befriend, assist him, show him love and even meet some of his needs.
In a lighter mood, let them preach the word of God to him. Let him be told and know the damaging effect of alcohol on his body organs and the consequent short life span.
Gradually invite him and assist him to join your congregation in the worship of the Lord.
It is a long battle. It needs spiritual and physical assistance to stop him from alcoholic life permanently as well as become born again. Do not relax, do not give up. Take every step by prayers and the word of God. Victory is certain in Jesus name. Amen.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 03, 2020
descarado:

She has to accept the fact that her husband is a drunk.
The ship has long sailed. Probably something made him start drinking and instead of fishing that out and solving it, she was admonishing and guilt tripping him( words addicts hate most) and of course comparing him with his successful mates. I'm pretty sure u do that too.
U guys are making him go deeper into the habit actually.

And it's high time u all start listening to his complaint instead of complaining.

you don't know anything about me or my family. and you don't know how we've been coping all along. I'll suggest we just leave it at that. I'm already emotionally battered and I don't need more blaming for what I Know absolutely nothing about.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 03, 2020
thanks everyone for your contributions.. I'll go through the thread and consider all your recommendations.. thanks once again.
Re: Help My Drunk Dad Before He Kills Himself..!!! by Trezagezz: 7:51pm On Sep 03, 2020
[s][/s]
the alcohol he takes has made to look very old.. [s][/s]he's always coughing now and has this nasty alcohol smell always trailing him wherever he is. to enter into the toilet immediately he's done is 100% impossible because of the strong alcohol smell
[s][/s]

why been stupid on this type of issue that needs profesional advise or you just want to talk silly..

PLEASE Dear, Talking to him is not the best way. take him to hospital n lay COMPLAIN to them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Having A Male Child / Why Do Married Men Run After Young Girls? / Names You Can Never Give Your Child?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.