Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,657 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (82) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). (61959 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by dayokanu(m): 9:12pm On May 14, 2011
coogar:

i actually like chamakh, it's just that he's suited more to 4-4-2 than the 4-3-3 arsene wenger deployed thus making his purchase nonsensical.

If your postulates are correct that means Wenger is the cause of Arsenals problems.

BTW didnt Chamakh play as a lone Striker in Bordeaux?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by coogar: 9:15pm On May 14, 2011
dayokanu:

If your postulates are correct that means Wenger is the cause of Arsenals problems.

BTW didnt Chamakh play as a lone Striker in Bordeaux?

premier league is different. i actually saw one of his comments earlier in the season how the english league is too physical. that after each game, it takes him a long while to recover from the kicks, elbows and shoves he cops during the match. he is too soft for this league, he needs help/partner to flourish and wenger offered him none.

"I was never in such a state at Bordeaux. Things take on a new dimension here. Against West Ham I was in incredible pain with my neck.

"It was impossible to turn my head. Every ball that's contested here I get ploughed into - and the referee doesn't blow for it."

The 26-year-old added the English game had different expectations when it came to tackling.

"When people pushed me in France, I fell down and got a free kick," he said.

"When there's a hard tackle here, I have to get up and play.

"After a Premier League match, I walk off with my body aching, with scratch marks, stiff muscles. Three days later, we go again."

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2171/premier-league/2010/11/29/2237547/arsenals-marouane-chamakh-admits-premier-league-is-proving-a
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:21pm On May 14, 2011
heehehehehe, him think say money easy to get? big boi for prem na big boi everywhere o, GBA!!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by dayokanu(m): 9:28pm On May 14, 2011
coogar:

premier league is different. i actually saw one of his comments earlier in the season how the english league is too physical. that after each game, it takes him a long while to recover from the kicks, elbows and shoves he cops during the match. he is too soft for this league, he needs help/partner to flourish and wenger offered him none.

Then why wasnt his physicality considered before wenGAY bought him, also I dont think Chicharito or Berbatov are that physical either
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by coogar: 9:31pm On May 14, 2011
dayokanu:

Then why wasnt his physicality considered before wenGAY bought him, also I dont think Chicharito or Berbatov are that physical either

berbatov - excellent first touch, eye for a killer pass.
hernandez - fox in a box, excellent positioning, excellent finishing.
what these ones lack in physicality, they make up for it elsewhere. . . .

chamakh is not excellent in any particular attribute, he is good at everything but not excellent in any particular skill.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by dayokanu(m): 9:44pm On May 14, 2011
Basically he is a jack of all skill master of none which means he is a below par striker.

Good strikers need to be excellent in one thing. I cant think of a striker who deserves a Big club without an excellent skill thats also the problem with van R@p1st, Not excellent at anything. positioning sucks, physicaly handicapped, not intelliegnt enuff, average poaching skills, average aerial ability, not enuff nimble skills
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by dayokanu(m): 10:00pm On May 14, 2011
Watching Flamini take his Serie A medal further buttress that Arsenal and Arsene are failures
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by coogar: 10:11pm On May 14, 2011
dayokanu:

Basically he is a jack of all skill master of none which means he is a below par striker.

Good strikers need to be excellent in one thing. I cant think of a striker who deserves a Big club without an excellent skill thats also the problem with van R@p1st, Not excellent at anything. positioning sucks, physicaly handicapped, not intelliegnt enuff, average poaching skills, average aerial ability, not enuff nimble skills

i agree. . . .
like i have mentioned, he is not what arsenal need but wenger sought after him cos he was on a free transfer. it's not chamakh's fault that he was played in a role unsuitable to him.

dayokanu:

Watching Flamini take his Serie A medal further buttress that Arsenal and Arsene are failures

list of players who have won medals after leaving arsenal. . . .

flamini
henry
hleb
g.silva
cashley
lass
adebayor
kolo toure

who else??
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by A40(m): 11:15pm On May 14, 2011
The problem at Arsenal would only be solved when Wenger gets the axe! Till he ȋ̝̊̅§ removed ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ could bet ur life that we would be here complaining about the same issues! We've been here since 07 some since 06! ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ don't need international espionage to decipher that Wenger ȋ̝̊̅§ the recurring decimal in this vortex of failure
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by proudly9ja(m): 12:08am On May 15, 2011
coogar:

i agree. . . .
like i have mentioned, he is not what arsenal need but wenger sought after him cos he was on a free transfer. it's not chamakh's fault that he was played in a role unsuitable to him.

list of players who have won medals after leaving arsenal. . . .

flamini
henry
hleb
g.silva
cashley
lass
adebayor
kolo toure

who else??

Vieira with City!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by coogar: 12:16am On May 15, 2011
proudly9ja:

Vieira with City!

seb larsson
david bentley
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by dipo2much(m): 12:47pm On May 15, 2011
Yes, we should sack AW and bring in Rafa Benitez. Cool, right?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by A40(m): 1:08pm On May 15, 2011
^^
If a meeting was to be held of coaches who have won the UCL and Uefa cup Benitez would be invited Wenger wouldnt
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by debosky(m): 2:17pm On May 15, 2011
4llerbuntu:

i will respond to the JET issue, thats the only one worth yarning.

should in case u are selectively blind, debosky read my post again. I SAID BRING HIM TO SIT, AS IN SIT, ON THE BENCH, ROLL WITH THE BIG BOIZ, GET CARLING CUP GAMES AND A FEW CAMEOS.

My friend stop yarning bollocks - if he can't get games in the lower divisions, why should he get a BENCH spot in the side?

now in the first placw, for all your much vaunted support of arsene and his youth policy it is frankly embarassing to see u fault a move that has been tried with the smallies at arsenal time and again. i didnt say put him in the first team.

then again i looked at the setup and realised that the boi has something in common with szcesny, self belief and arrogance coupled with ability, szcesny has not done badly with the chances he got, its about time we know if jet too has it or not. besides performances on loan is not an indication that he will do really great or badly at arsenal. all d ones wey do well on loan no be only wilshere come back to perform? tseew.

Stop talking nonsense (I doubt you can).

Comparing Chez and Jack to JET is an exercise in utter stupidity. Jack went on loan and played regularly for Bolton. Chez went on loan and played regularly for the bees. Both excelled elsewhere before coming to stake a place at Arsenal. Apart from this unsubstantiated 'self belief' nonsense, what has JET done in a lower league?

Absolutely nothing that's what, in the same league where Chelski loanees like Borini and Sinclair are shining, JET is a bench warmer. If he is a bench warmer in the championship, he should be no higher than ball boy at Arsenal.

If his so called 'ability' can't be displayed in the championship, why should we believe rubbish hype on this boy?

I still support Wenger's youth development programs, because he doesn't suffer fools gladly. The (homegrown) lads that make it into the first team are quality - Cashley before him, now Jack. However, some of you deluded lot seem to think you know more about players in the club than the manager who has seen their strengths and flaws.

on transfer, let every reader judge in urself, which story would u believe, wenger wants to spend over 20mill on benzema or is going after a free frenchie? going by antecedents i think we know wassup

My friend stop attempting to prognosticate when you cannot make a simple logical argument. Do kids start attempting to study Calculus before completing simple arithmetic? Master simple logic before trying to predict the future.

Those idiotic speculations are made for people of a certain intellectual level - i.e. the dumbed down doofus. Since 'u believe' the story, we know what level you belong to. cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by debosky(m): 2:22pm On May 15, 2011
A-40:

The problem at Arsenal would only be solved when Wenger gets the axe! Till he ȋ̝̊̅§ removed ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ could bet your life that we would be here complaining about the same issues! We've been here since 07 some since 06! ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ don't need international espionage to decipher that Wenger ȋ̝̊̅§ the recurring decimal in this vortex of failure

Ol boy you no try. . . .we can also say the Stadium is the recurring decimal since we've played there since 06, so why don't we change stadiums. cheesy

Or that our name has been 'Arsenal FC' since 2006, so why don't we change the name of the club? cheesy

The argument you make is not grounded in fact - clubs win titles on the basis of their squad strength. Our squad is not as strong as others, primarily due to less funds to invest compared to our rivals.

In terms of expenditure, every club in the current top 4 has spent more in both wages and transfer fees than us over the past 3-4 years. That is a fact you can't argue with.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by coogar: 2:41pm On May 15, 2011
debosky:

In terms of expenditure, every club in the current top 4 has spent more in both wages and transfer fees than us over the past 3-4 years. That is a fact you can't argue with.

man city and chelsea have spent more in terms of expenditure in both wages and transfer fees and yet they failed to win the league this term. stop using money as an excuse. arsenal's account actually shows they have the money to spend.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by A40(m): 2:57pm On May 15, 2011
@Debosky
We have a manager who has forgotten how 2 win! If ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ think Arsenal's issues are solely financial think again
When yu tell fans that finishin 2nd is not a disaster it just shows how ambitious u are and with the way we have been throwin multiple goal leads even Man City money can't assist us
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by chamotex(m): 2:57pm On May 15, 2011
debosky:

Ol boy you no try. . . .we can also say the Stadium is the recurring decimal since we've played there since 06, so why don't we change stadiums. cheesy

Or that our name has been 'Arsenal FC' since 2006, so why don't we change the name of the club? cheesy

The argument you make is not grounded in fact - clubs win titles on the basis of their squad strength. Our squad is not as strong as others, primarily due to less funds to invest compared to our rivals.

Then wait until you have the 'strength in depth' before claiming to be a Premiership contender. tongue
Cos we know Dudface will come here in July and claim to win it like most GAYnners do before the start of every season. cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by HNIC(m): 3:00pm On May 15, 2011
coogar:

seb larsson
david bentley
lemme join in
Kyle Bartley(On loan with Rangers, still an Arsenal player)has won the league with Rangers! shocked shocked
Even current players are winning silverware talkless of players that have left.
This thing no be physical thing again. . .na spiritual matter.

Just watched Koscielney and Szenny's   season defining moment when both were possessed by a Strange Demon.
Shocking stuff shocked
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by HNIC(m): 3:04pm On May 15, 2011
A-40:

When yu tell fans that finishin 2nd is not a disaster it just shows how ambitious u are and with the way we have been throwin multiple goal leads even Man City money can't assist us
Bros, that quote from AW was twisted by the Media.There's no manager that thinks 2nd is good enough, not even one that has won it thrice before.I listened to what he said and it was that if we finished behid manure,we have to accept it that they are simply better than us and try again next term.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by coogar: 3:07pm On May 15, 2011
chamotex:

Then wait until you have the 'strength in depth' before claiming to be a Premiership contender. tongue
Cos we know Dudface will come here in July and claim to win it like most GAYnners do before the start of every season. cheesy

excellent point!
it's amusing when arsenal fans remember 'strength in depth' after the title has been lost. at the start of the campaign, this fact seems to be ignored the moment those kids batter a league one side who has priorities elsewhere. what we hear then is "sexy football", "the kids are now men", "wenger's project has come to fruition", etc.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by chamotex(m): 3:18pm On May 15, 2011
coogar:

excellent point!
it's amusing when arsenal fans remember 'strength in depth' after the title has been lost. at the start of the campaign, this fact seems to be ignored the moment those kids batter a league one side who has priorities elsewhere. what we hear then is "sexy football", "the kids are now men", "wenger's project has come to fruition", etc.

Even before the end of the season . . . MUMUface had already been talking about Miyaichi on loan at Feyenoord like he's coming to set the premiership alight.
Well, we are waiting.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by debosky(m): 3:21pm On May 15, 2011
coogar:

man city and chelsea have spent more in terms of expenditure in both wages and transfer fees and yet they failed to win the league[b] this term.[/b] stop using money as an excuse. arsenal's account actually shows they have the money to spend.

Singular season analysis will often result in wrong conclusions, but when a 3-4 year continuum is assessed, the impact of financial clout is indisputable.

Over the past 3-4 years, Citeh have moved from being a top 10 side to one that has now won the FA cup and are in the CL next season.

Over the past 3-4 years, Chelski has won at least 3 trophies.

As for Arsenal's account showing there is money to spend, I challenge that assertion - the club must maintain a buffer of funds above and beyond what is required by other clubs for two main reasons - one for loan servicing (which clubs like Chelski and Citeh don't need to do) and secondly a provision to ensure that if the club fails to qualify for the CL for one season the club does not run into financial difficulties.

If Chelski fail to qualify for the CL for any reason, Abramovich will simply inject more funds, ditto for Citeh and Sheikh Mansoor.

chamotex:

I don't know about other gooners, but personally I set a few expectations for summer transfers to bring us up to speed to make a title challenge. The required reinforcements have never been made to the level required.

However, hope springs eternal - even if your head tells you 'our squad isn't good enough', your heart says 'anything can happen'.  cool

The desire to win the title is an aspiration renewed every season, regardless of the flaws in the squad.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by coogar: 3:29pm On May 15, 2011
debosky:

Singular season analysis will often result in wrong conclusions, but when a 3-4 year continuum is assessed, the impact of financial clout is indisputable.

but the question still begs, why have arsenal refused to spend?

Over the past 3-4 years, Citeh have moved from being a top 10 side to one that has now won the FA cup and are in the CL next season.

they have bought quality players. arsenal don't lack quality players. 90% of the arsenal players play for their respective countries.

Over the past 3-4 years, Chelski has won at least 3 trophies.

-ditto-

As for Arsenal's account showing there is money to spend, I challenge that assertion - the club must maintain a buffer of funds above and beyond what is required by other clubs for two main reasons - one for loan servicing (which clubs like Chelski and Citeh don't need to do) and secondly a provision to ensure that if the club fails to qualify for the CL for one season the club does not run into financial difficulties.

a club that makes £94 million per annum on match-day tickets alone? how can failing to qualify for champions league in one season run arsenal into the pits? your uncanny ability to overstate things is peerless. when liverpool failed to qualify for the champions league, why haven't they relegated despite the fact that they make 50% of arsenal's revenue? t

If Chelski fail to qualify for the CL for any reason, Abramovich will simply inject more funds, ditto for Citeh and Sheikh Mansoor.

arsenal's revenue should bail them out. arsenal are the 5th richest club in europe.

I don't know about other gooners, but personally I set a few expectations for summer transfers to bring us up to speed to make a title challenge. The required reinforcements have never been made to the level required.

i will do some diggings to compare your expectations then and what you are spewing now. i hope to zeus they are consistent!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by HNIC(m): 3:30pm On May 15, 2011
debosky:

However, hope springs eternal - even if your head tells you 'our squad isn't good enough', your heart says 'anything can happen'.  cool
The desire to win the title is an aspiration renewed every season, regardless of the flaws in the squad.
Truth be told, this season was frustrating because there was no 'OuTSTANDING' team.
It was difficult predicting the outcome of any match
.For once, the players  let the manager down badly and I am expecting wholesale changes this summer.
Even AW by now, should see there are some players not good enough.BTW,I liked the way he 'dissed' the team after the Bolton and Stoke defeat.Means, he's finally seeing the light(we hope)
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by HNIC(m): 3:32pm On May 15, 2011
@4lerbuntu and the other gooners who want AW out
Interesting story in the Italian Media saying AW is being lined up to take charge at Roma and Ancelotti coming to Arsenal to replace him.
Ancelotti?
Good choice? wink grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by HNIC(m): 3:38pm On May 15, 2011
Eh
Big Phil Senderos would start his first game for Fulham today
Good to see him back in football
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by lalaboi(m): 3:39pm On May 15, 2011
HNIC:

@4lerbuntu and the other gooners who want AW out
Interesting story in the Italian Media saying AW is being lined up to take charge at Roma and Ancelotti coming to Arsenal to replace him.
Ancelotti?
Good choice? wink grin

Abeg. . come carry am. . No compensation no nothing. . We dash you free of charge grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by debosky(m): 3:46pm On May 15, 2011
A-40:

@Debosky
We have a manager who has forgotten how 2 win! If ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ think Arsenal's issues are solely financial think again

Second is not a disaster given the expenditure Arsenal has made - there I said it.

I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with such a statement when the team that will likely finish above you spent £75m in January, and the team that will likely finish below you spent £150m over the past season.

Second is NOT a disaster - the dumbed down logic of tabloids that once you don't come first it's a 'disaster' cannot be casually accepted.

Granted second is short of where you'd expect a club like Arsenal to achieve, but does that equate to a disaster? No.

Wenger has 'forgotten' how to win, yet the difference between the expenditure in years before previous expenditure and expenditure in years before this season should be an interesting comparison.

It is instructive to note that Arsenal has failed to win a title since Abramovich's cash began to kick in, and in that period Utd have bought players for £30m+, and now Citeh have come in.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by coogar: 3:52pm On May 15, 2011
debosky:

Second is not a disaster given the expenditure Arsenal has made - there I said it.

this is heart-breaking! 2nd is not a disaster for a team that has failed to win a league title in 7 years, a team who has refused to win any title in 6 years? now i know why failure is in the bloodstream of arsenal fc. 2nd isn't a disaster on it's own(e.g man utd coming 2nd last season) but with arsenal's circumstance, 2nd is a massive disaster.

debosky:

Wenger has 'forgotten' how to win, yet the difference between the expenditure in years before previous expenditure and expenditure in years before this season should be an interesting comparison.

It is instructive to note that Arsenal has failed to win a title since Abramovich's cash began to kick in, and in that period Utd have bought players for £30m+, and now Citeh have come in.

arsenal also made £40 mil selling adebayor + k.toure. what happened to that money?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by debosky(m): 4:13pm On May 15, 2011
coogar:

arsenal also made £40 mil selling adebayor + k.toure. what happened to that money?

Utd also made £80m from selling Ronaldo in that same period - dunno about you, but 80 is bigger than 40.

coogar:

this is heart-breaking! 2nd is not a disaster for a team that has failed to win a league title in 7 years, a team who has refused to win any title in 6 years? now i know why failure is in the bloodstream of arsenal fc. 2nd isn't a disaster on it's own(e.g man utd coming 2nd last season) but with arsenal's circumstance, 2nd is a massive disaster.

It is only a disaster when you have spent sufficiently to achieve it then you fail. Arsenal's failure to win can be directly linked to a lack of expenditure. Continuously qualifying for the CL on a shoestring transfer budget is no disaster.

Yes failing to win is clearly undesirable and highly frustrating, but when compared to the resources available, then you cannot declare the performance a disaster.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). by coogar: 4:16pm On May 15, 2011
debosky:

Utd also made £80m from selling Ronaldo in that same period - dunno about you, but 80 is bigger than 40.

united are yet to spend the ronaldo money. bebe + chicharito + smalling is not even 1/4 of ronaldo's money.

It is only a disaster when you have spent sufficiently to achieve it then you fail. Arsenal's failure to win can be directly linked to a lack of expenditure. Continuously qualifying for the CL on a shoestring transfer budget is no disaster.

4 teams qualify for the champs league in england. by default, arsenal are the 3rd/4th best team in the league. they have not achieved nada qualifying for europe.

Yes failing to win is clearly undesirable and highly frustrating, but when compared to the resources available, then you cannot declare the performance a disaster.

so it's all about the money, right?

vermaelen on the pitch, darrent bent has scored a brace in 15 mins! 6 goals in his last 10 games against the gaynners. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) ... (100)

Manchester City vs Chelsea (1 - 2) On 8th May 2021 / 3 Clubs That Could Stop Liverpool From Defending The Champions League / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.