Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! (17687 Views)

Tears! Still Thinking About This Pretty Girl Facing Death Penalty In China. Pics / Buhari Denies Claims That He Has Plans To Islamize Nigeria When Elected / NIGERIA: When Will The Shedding Of Innocent Blood Stopped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by EzeUche2(m): 12:57am On Mar 06, 2011
One of my favorite novels has been reduced to this comparison.

Soon people will be using The Pilgrim's Progress as an analogy to Nigeria. grin
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 12:58am On Mar 06, 2011
not the first time i'm hearing this type of analogy [ie nigeria and animal farm].

even fela sang a lot about similar stuff, so i doubt most would find it so offensive, really.

maybe because specific names were mentioned?
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 12:59am On Mar 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

Because like most people who have read the book, we know how flawed this analogy is by bk.babe.

Get over it.

That is abuse of trust and power, just like Napoleon.

All forumites are equal, but some are more equal than others.

I guess she should proceed and change her handle to Napoleon.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 1:00am On Mar 06, 2011
tpiah!:

Nope! Its just the way of man!

They'll fight just for the fxcuk of it!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by spade: 1:01am On Mar 06, 2011
cap28:

You are an example of why it is important for people to stay in school, first of all you have the reading and comprehension ability of a 2 year old , therefore to attempt to even discuss and analyse a work as complex as animal farm is like expecting a mentally handicapped 2 year old to analyse Das Kapital, YOU ARE A FUNCTIONAL ILLITERATE, LEAVE INTELLECTUAL DISCUSSIONS TO YOUR BETTERS AND CONCENTRATE ON WHAT YOU KNOW BEST GANGSTA RAP AND GANG BANGING.  

LMAO!!!!!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by SEFAGO(m): 1:04am On Mar 06, 2011
tpiah!:

not the first time i'm hearing this type of analogy [ie nigeria and animal farm].

even fela sang a lot about similar stuff, so i doubt most would find it so offensive, really.

Beast of no Nation Egbe ke egbe na bad society  grin

He did mention names though actually just not with ethnic undertones

This has more to do with the fact that people see it as an insult to their ethnic group- they are really not interested in looking for meaning into what is being said. Even if bkbabe99 made it to piss some people off (which he obviously did  grin), I think there is still a lot that could be taken from his analysis.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 1:06am On Mar 06, 2011
spade:

LMAO!!!!!

No need to "LMAO"!

Hes used that same weak line for almost two years, surprisingly, BEFORE YOU NOONE HAS EVER PAID THAT LINE ANYMIND. Dare I say "Like-minds"?!

And ure in Nigeria where the lights could go out at anytime. . . . Dont you think u'll be doing yourself, and ur nation, some justice by  using the 3 hrs/week electricity you get to read up on things that could benefit you/her instead of cackling around like a Jackal?!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by SEFAGO(m): 1:07am On Mar 06, 2011
You are an example of why it is important for people to stay in school, first of all you have the reading and comprehension ability of a 2 year old , therefore to attempt to even discuss and analyse a work as complex as animal farm is like expecting a mentally handicapped 2 year old to analyse Das Kapital, YOU ARE A FUNCTIONAL ILLITERATE, LEAVE INTELLECTUAL DISCUSSIONS TO YOUR BETTERS AND CONCENTRATE ON WHAT YOU KNOW BEST GANGSTA RAP AND GANG BANGING.  

Actually cap28, I could analyze the works of Marx, Plato, Machiavelli at age 2. Just because you were sucking your thumb at that age does not mean all of us should.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by fstranger3(m): 1:08am On Mar 06, 2011
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by spade: 1:11am On Mar 06, 2011
But seriously guys, why all the bickering? No, the body of analogies ain't perfect, but I don't remember the OP ever claiming it was.
If I'm to be honest with you, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, because most of the elements rang quite true.
I see no reason why this should generate so much bitterness and rage between the TXT Warlords we have in here.

Yeesh! You guys take the internet waaaayyy too seriously. smiley
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 1:17am On Mar 06, 2011
The HenssadTHE IBOS)

The hens are among the first to rebel against Napoleon: in response to their being forced to give more eggs, they destroy their eggs instead of handing them to the higher powers (the pigs), who want to sell them to humans. Napoleon then uses fear and starves them until the pigs get what they want.

The Cows: (THE NIGER DELTA)

Their milk is stolen by the pigs, who learn to milk them, and is stirred into the pigs' mash every day while the other animals are not given any such luxuries.

The Cat sadTHE HAUSA?)

Never seen to carry out any work, the cat is absent for long periods, and is forgiven because her excuses are so convincing and she "purred so affectionately that is was impossible not to believe in her good intentions".[12] She has no interest in the politics of the farm, and the only time she is recorded as having participated in an election she was found to have actually "voted on both sides".[12]

THE WORST INTERPRETATION EVER , YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT KNOW HOW THINGS RUN IN NIGERIA.

AND ITS IGBO NOT IBO
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 1:17am On Mar 06, 2011
SEFAGO:

Actually cap28, I could analyze the works of Marx, Plato, Machiavelli at age 2. Just because you were sucking your thumb at that age does not mean all of us should.

Roflmao!!!

spade:

But seriously guys, why all the bickering? No, the body of analogies ain't perfect, but I don't remember the OP ever claiming it was.
If I'm to be honest with you, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, because most of the elements rang quite true.
I see no reason why this should generate so much bitterness and rage between the TXT Warlords we have in here.

Yeesh! You guys take the internet waaaayyy too seriously. smiley

Now we can "lmao" together. . . . .  lol
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by cap28: 1:18am On Mar 06, 2011
so,  as i was saying,  timid puppet GEJ is now being compared to one of the world's most brutal mass murderers and dictators - Stalin (napoleon)  -  wonders shall never end!!!!

And Awolowo a rabid tribalist has now been elevated to the status of Karl Marx - a man who beleived in the equality of all men and who championed the cause of an egalitarian society - funny, last time i checked, Awo was responsible for championing the cause of starvation as a legitimate weapon of war against a marginalised people, i reckon Awo had about as much beleif in egalitarianism as Babangida has in sincere leadership, transparency, honesty and justice.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 1:19am On Mar 06, 2011
DRlulu:

The HenssadTHE IBOS)

The hens are among the first to rebel against Napoleon: in response to their being forced to give more eggs, they destroy their eggs instead of handing them to the higher powers (the pigs), who want to sell them to humans. Napoleon then uses fear and starves them until the pigs get what they want.

The Cows: (THE NIGER DELTA)

Their milk is stolen by the pigs, who learn to milk them, and is stirred into the pigs' mash every day while the other animals are not given any such luxuries.

The Cat sadTHE HAUSA?)

Never seen to carry out any work, the cat is absent for long periods, and is forgiven because her excuses are so convincing and she "purred so affectionately that is was impossible not to believe in her good intentions".[12] She has no interest in the politics of the farm, and the only time she is recorded as having participated in an election she was found to have actually "voted on both sides".[12]

THE WORST INTERPRETATION EVER , YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT KNOW HOW THINGS RUN IN NIGERIA.

AND ITS IGBO NOT IBO

Whether its Ibo or Igbo is the only thing u could pick out from all of this. . . . ? undecided

Wow! Still a lotta work to be done, I guess.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by blackgucci(m): 1:19am On Mar 06, 2011
to constrain animal farm to the marxist era, is to frustrate the immortality of a legend. long live orwell
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 1:21am On Mar 06, 2011
blackgucci:

to constrain animal farm to the marxist era, is to frustrate the immortality of a legend. long live orwell

Jesus!

Dude, are you in the NY area?

You deserve the whole bar tonite!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bashr4: 1:22am On Mar 06, 2011
cap28:

so,  as i was saying,  timid puppet GEJ is now being compared to one of the world's most brutal mass murderers and dictators - Stalin (napoleon)  -  wonders shall never end!!!!

And Awolowo a rabid tribalist has now been elevated to the status of Karl Marx - a man who beleived in the equality of all men and who championed the cause of an egalitarian society - funny, last time i checked, Awo was responsible for championing the cause of starvation as a legitimate weapon of war against a marginalised people, i reckon Awo had about as much beleif in egalitarianism as Babangida has in sincere leadership, transparency, honesty and justice.

your on point ,but why worry yourself ? let them be abeg . the most ridiculous analogy ever
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by blackgucci(m): 1:24am On Mar 06, 2011
blackgucci:

nah. somewhere in the animal farm watching pigs walk upright, lol
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 1:25am On Mar 06, 2011
blackgucci:

nah. somewhere in the animal farm watching pigs walk upright, lol

You quoted urself! lol
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by spade: 1:25am On Mar 06, 2011
bk.babe97y:

No need to "LMAO"!

Hes used that same weak line for almost two years, surprisingly, BEFORE YOU NOONE HAS EVER PAID THAT LINE ANYMIND. Dare I say "Like-minds"?!

And ure in Nigeria where the lights could go out at anytime. . . . Dont you think u'll be doing yourself, and your nation, some justice by  using the 3 hrs/week electricity you get to read up on things that could benefit you/her instead of cackling around like a Jackal?!

Very funny but cheap and mediocre line, my half-baked spastic friend. So wait, lemme' get this straight - E dey vex you say I laff at the thorough finishing he gave you? Eiyaah. Unfortunately, you're gonna have to get used to it whether you like it or not, because the dude has infact humiliated you. 'Like Minds'? Is that it? cheesy Chei, how weak. You're obviously a victim of severe cretinism to think I'd be bothered by such a wretched line from a clueless dunce as yourself. If you hadn't spent allday playing around NL liked a crack-dullard, then maybe I would've taken your poorly constructed diss a little more seriously.
Now, gently go engage your failed life in more productive ventures - like getting anally molested by diseased horses. grin
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 1:26am On Mar 06, 2011
bashr4:

your on point ,but why worry yourself ? let them be abeg . the most ridiculous analogy ever

What was the last book u read? And when?
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 1:26am On Mar 06, 2011
SEFAGO:

^ Hmm interesting maybe a menage a trois is in order, one of my to do list before I leave this earth- whats your is mine too.

Let me check her pictures out first.

Oh yeah I now remember  lipsrsealed, ahh I would have to put our menage a trois in abeyance

Oh yea, that's gonna happen.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by EzeUche2(m): 1:27am On Mar 06, 2011
Equating Awolowo to Old Major now that is where you fell off.

I could see if you equated Old Major with Herbert Macaulay or Nnamdi Azikiwe but someone who believe in sectarianism. Now that is appalling.

At least Nnamdi Azikiwe has a recognized political thought known as "Zikism." What does Awolowo has that is truly Pan-Nigerian or Pan-African?
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 1:29am On Mar 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

I could see if you equated Old Major with Herbert Macaulay or Nnamdi Azikiwe but someone who believe in sectarianism. Now that is appalling.

At least Nnamdi Azikiwe has a recognized political thought known as "Zikism." What does Awolowo has that is truly Pan-Nigerian or Pan-African?

So, in your warped mind, I should have taken a thorough history lesson on Nigeria before being able to symbolize the characters in the book and compare and equate them with Nigeria's political class and its populace?

Maaannn. . . . . smh!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 1:29am On Mar 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

Zikism as practised where? In your imagination?
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by spade: 1:30am On Mar 06, 2011
Now, that's something I can 'LMAO' at - a manchild wailing because a dude laughed at a diss that ripped him to pieces. What a dullard cheesy
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by blackgucci(m): 1:30am On Mar 06, 2011
bk.babe97y:

You quoted urself! lol

my bad.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 1:32am On Mar 06, 2011
spade:

Very funny but cheap and mediocre line, my half-baked spastic friend. So wait, lemme' get this straight - E dey vex you say I laff at the thorough finishing he gave you? Eiyaah. Unfortunately, you're gonna have to get used to it whether you like it or not, because the dude has infact humiliated you. 'Like Minds'? Is that it? cheesy Chei, how weak. You're obviously a victim of severe cretinism to think I'd be bothered by such a wretched line from a clueless dunce as yourself. If you hadn't spent allday playing around NL liked a crack-dullard, then maybe I would've taken your poorly constructed diss a little more seriously.
Now, gently go engage your failed life in more productive ventures - like getting anally molested by diseased horses. grin

What a pity!

What a shame!

These are the likes people like Katsumoto, Aigbofa, Fstranger, Sefago, Kobojunkie, Buhari and co are risking their lungs, crying themselves hoarse ova?!?!

Wow!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 1:35am On Mar 06, 2011
spade:

Now, gently go engage your failed life in more productive ventures - like getting[b] anally molested by diseased horses[/b]. grin

So, Cap28 is a diseased horse?

ROFLMAO!!!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bashr4: 1:36am On Mar 06, 2011
bk.babe97y:

What was the last book u read? And when?

how does that change the fact that you know nothing about nigeria and its history judging from your analogy and all your post on nairaland. you dont even know who first rebeled against nigerian govt. matching GEJ as Napoleon wetin i no go see for nairaland
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by EzeUche2(m): 1:38am On Mar 06, 2011
bk.babe97y:

So, in your warped mind, I should have taken a thorough history lesson on Nigeria before being able to symbolize the characters in the book and compare and equate them with Nigeria's political class and its populace?

Maaannn. . . . . smh!

Come on now. I know you too well. To give an Igbo man that much credit, you would rather die first. That is why you reserved that character for Awolowo.

Even though Nnamdi Azikiwe deserves it more if you are going to try to use an analogy.

[b]Zikism [/b]is the system of political thought attributed to Nnamdi Azikiwe, one of the founding fathers of modern Nigeria and the first democratically elected President of Nigeria. Azikiwe expanded on this philosophy through his published works such as Renascent Africa (1973) and his autobiography My Odyssey.
Overview

Zikism is characterised by five principles for African liberation:

[b]Spiritual balance
[/b]To show empathy for other peoples views, and recognize their right to hold such views.

[b]Social regeneration
[/b]To expel from one's self national, religious, racial, tribal, political-economic, and ethical prejudice.

[b]Economic determinism
[/b]To realize that being self-sufficient economically is the basis for rescuing the Renascent African.

[b]Mental emancipation
[/b]To be knowledgeable of African history and accomplishments, and to dismiss any kind of complex exhibited by any race or tribe.

[b]Political resurgence
[/b]To regain the sovereignty that Africa has lost to colonialists.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

I Usually Helped Badeh Convert N558m From Staff Salaries To Dollars, Witness / Army Denies Killing 150 Pro-biafra Agitators / Buhari To Visit Sambisa Forest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.