Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,412 members, 7,836,660 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Debunking Car Myths - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Debunking Car Myths (35556 Views)

Are Nitrogen-filled Tires Better For Your Car? Debunking The Myth / Fixing Car Yourself Will Void The Car Warranty? - 12 Car Myths Debunked / Myths Or Facts: Are Car Fires Work Of The Village People Or Just Carelessness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Farki: 11:39pm On Oct 26, 2020
kingreign:

Wrong, it's owners here that do not know how to manage their cars. That same corolla was used abroad as a taxi or fleet car and accumulated many highway or city mileage without falling apart, why did it start to fall apart in Nigeria?

The Nigerian roads are the first problem if you aren't careful you will drive over potholes and rocks that will eventually damage the undercarriage.

The second problem is the mechanics that are usually not professional and make mistakes leading to more problems.

The third problem is the traffic, especially the Lagos traffic that makes a 30 minutes journey 2 hours and eventually damages the car. Dust particles in the air intakes and accumulated particles in the engine shorten it's lifespan.

The final problem is the cars themselves, the Toyota Corollas sold new in Africa are assembled in South Africa and were notorious for having defects so much so that thousands of models were recalled. The imported "tokumbo" cars are also in dubious condition, some are refurbished from accidents some were already defective but still sold.

8 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by chival(f): 11:43pm On Oct 26, 2020
olumzzz:

The oil burning was corrected from the 2009 model
I was going to write this. The oil burning issue only applies to 2007, 2008 and 2009 models.

2 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by chival(f): 11:47pm On Oct 26, 2020
mdchikezie:

most honda cars pull legs, there is never a doubt about that.
Actually I think it would be more accurate to say that a Honda will be more likely to have that issue than any other car.

2 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by olumzzz(m): 12:21am On Oct 27, 2020
Nazgul:

Please what about the burning dashboard... has it been corrected?
I can't say.
I haven't seen 2013 models and above baked in our special sun
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Nazgul: 12:41am On Oct 27, 2020
olumzzz:

I can't say.
I haven't seen 2013 models and above baked in our special sun
How about 2011?
Re: Debunking Car Myths by LOVEGINO(m): 1:01am On Oct 27, 2020
Aaaaarghmed:
if na honda dashboard dey melt dem no go let us hear word,even lexus rx 330 has dashboard issues.i never see honda wey dem use dashboard rug cover before
lol. Baba come see my Ford ZX5 interior after many years of usage. U go clear road.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Nobody: 1:06am On Oct 27, 2020
Philadelphia:
Myth: Toyota Camry v4 is more economical than v6

Fact: There's not Toyota Camry v4 engine. It's I4.
Is Toyota I4 engine more economical?
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Mouthpis(m): 1:20am On Oct 27, 2020
Somebody should say something about Toyota Sienna.

Pls, I need to know as I just acquired one recently.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by donstefano8(m): 1:45am On Oct 27, 2020
weyreypey:
Mercedes Benz are fuel guzzlers....

There are versions of Mercedes Benz cars that'll beat even the Toyota Corolla in fuel efficiency.... One of them is the Mercedes Benz A klasse...

Include the B class and C class too...
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Peppermintflav: 2:37am On Oct 27, 2020
Philadelphia:
Myth: 100km per hour in a trailer is faster than 100km per hour in a small cal. This is false

Fact: Km/h is a constant unit for any moving body irrespective of weight or size. So, both vehicles as mentioned above will be moving at the same speed.
True on paper but in the real world tyre size, speedometer calibration, comes into play.

2 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by revolt(m): 2:45am On Oct 27, 2020
weyreypey:
Myth: All Honda cars pull legs..

False!

Fact: Honda Civic cars don't pull legs.

I drove Honda accord 2007 and the legs NEVER pulled out. I drove it at ayobo , with the worst roads in the history of mankind.. That car is probably the best car I've ever driven.

8 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Peppermintflav: 2:55am On Oct 27, 2020
Myth
Bugatti is the fastest 0-60mph car in the world.

Fact
There are cars faster than Bugatti. One is even an Electric car.

(1) Dodge Challenger SRT Demon - 0-60 2.1 seconds

(2) Tesla Model S Performance w/ Ludicrous mode -0-60 2.3 seconds

2 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Ishilove: 2:57am On Oct 27, 2020
Farki:

The Nigerian roads are the first problem if you aren't careful you will drive over potholes and rocks that will eventually damage the undercarriage.

The second problem is the mechanics that are usually not professional and make mistakes leading to more problems.

The third problem is the traffic, especially the Lagos traffic that makes a 30 minutes journey 2 hours and eventually damages the car. Dust particles in the air intakes and accumulated particles in the engine shorten it's lifespan.

The final problem is the cars themselves, the Toyota Corollas sold new in Africa are assembled in South Africa and were notorious for having defects so much so that thousands of models were recalled. The imported "tokumbo" cars are also in dubious condition, some are refurbished from accidents some were already defective but still sold.
That is how they destroyed the life of my Pontiac till today. I am still seething
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Ishilove: 2:59am On Oct 27, 2020
revolt:

I drove Honda accord 2007 and the legs NEVER pulled out. I drove it at ayobo , with the worst roads in the history of mankind.. That car is probably the best car I've ever driven.
So which models of Hondas disgrace car owners on the road? All those embarrassing leg pulls I've being seeing so far are Honda vehicles.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by amstamon: 3:01am On Oct 27, 2020
See ,Una dey disturb my sleep na..
Abeg make Una lower abi na reduce una voice .
Na beg I dey beg pls. If sleep no catch una,sleep dey catch me o...
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Ishilove: 3:02am On Oct 27, 2020
Mouthpis:
Somebody should say something about Toyota Sienna.

Pls, I need to know as I just acquired one recently.
It's a family car, roomy enough to carry your entire village tongue

3 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 3:12am On Oct 27, 2020
Nazgul:

Which year of Toyota muscle does this?
All except the 2010 maybe

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 3:21am On Oct 27, 2020
Philadelphia:

Honda is a Brand and not a model name. It's very wrong to speak mythologically here by generalising the brand.
While it's obvious from the numerous cases that there seems to be a ball joint defect with Honda Accord from 1998 - 2007, how many cases have you seen where there is a "leg pull" of the 2008 and above model?

Let's even look at the new generation from 2013 to the current generation (2018 till date). How many do you see on the road with having such issues?

Do you even know that some auto blogs and reviewers rate the Honda Accord from year 2013 till date to be more reliable than the said Toyota Camry of same model year?
I have seen a direct toks 2010 from port pull legs. .yakata where you can be kidnapped

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Philadelphia: 3:23am On Oct 27, 2020
weyreypey:

I have seen a direct toks 2010 from port pull legs. .yakata where you can be kidnapped

Same thing can happen to a direct toks 2015 ML350.

It boils down to maintenance.
However, I still maintain that 2008 Honda Accord didn’t come with the ball joint defect.

2 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Philadelphia: 3:24am On Oct 27, 2020
Charlescobi:

Is Toyota I4 engine more economical?

Toyota i4 engines have better gas mileages compared to their v6 counterparts.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by weyreypey: 3:25am On Oct 27, 2020
Philadelphia:

Same thing can happen with a direct toks 2015 ML350.

It boils down to maintenance.
However, I still maintain that 2008 Honda Accord didn’t come with the ball joint defect.
Compare cars for n the same level.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Philadelphia: 3:28am On Oct 27, 2020
Peppermintflav:

True on paper but in the real world tyre size, speedometer calibration, comes into play.

I know you will believe that 1 KG of block is heavier than 1 KG of feather.

You know absolutely nothing about SI unit of measurement.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Philadelphia: 3:30am On Oct 27, 2020
chival:

Actually I think it would be more accurate to say that a Honda will be more likely to have that issue than any other car.

You clearly don’t know what a brand or a model is. If you did, you won’t speak in general terms.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by Philadelphia: 3:34am On Oct 27, 2020
Willmah66:
see below

Your mates who were protesting for a better country died exactly 1 week ago but you came on Nairaland one week later and just registered this moniker to look for who to scam.

You better take yourself out of here before you experience the evil that no man has ever experienced.

6 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Philadelphia: 3:38am On Oct 27, 2020
weyreypey:

Compare cars for n the same level.

Compare the cars in factory conditions first. We’d go from there.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by seguno2: 3:47am On Oct 27, 2020
promotervickky:
The Car is very good, no need to run a ViNcheck grin

A Car is a Liability, I rather stick with Uber or Taxify

Best myth buster.
A car is truly a liability all round, if you add parking challenges to the other costs and inconveniences.
Re: Debunking Car Myths by frajoe2reel: 3:56am On Oct 27, 2020
weyreypey:

Myth or fact. What years?
What is the myth about camry 2004 2.0L and the truth
Re: Debunking Car Myths by arduino: 4:36am On Oct 27, 2020
justiniyke29:
Myth: All toyota car are cheap to maintain and fuel efficient.

Fact: Toyota has some fuel efficient cars eg corolla, yaris and some fuel guzzlers eg sequioa and v8 4runner

Whoever came up with that Yaris specifications should be awarded Best Automotive Engineer of the Century. Strong engine, Most fuel efficient Toyota car, takes all manner of abuses from Nigerian Driver, Kazeem resistant and hardly sleeps in Mechanic garages.

6 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by revolt(m): 4:49am On Oct 27, 2020
Ishilove:

So which models of Hondas disgrace car owners on the road? All those embarrassing leg pulls I've being seeing so far are Honda vehicles.
if you run into a wall with a car you will smash the bonnet. Ig you drive like an ediot and jump every gallop you'd naturally break your bow joints. Get the drift ?!!

2 Likes

Re: Debunking Car Myths by Davash222(m): 5:04am On Oct 27, 2020
pocohantas:
Myth: Car in excellent condition, used by beautiful female banker.

Fact: It wasn’t used by any female banker. Do all your checks, make you no buy wahala.
lol
You no well. Hehehe

1 Like

Re: Debunking Car Myths by bilulu(m): 5:22am On Oct 27, 2020
weyreypey:
Myth: All Honda cars pull legs..

False!

Fact: Honda Civic cars don't pull legs.
I'm still yet to see any Honda car pull leg here in Canada.... I believe lack of maintenance is responsible for that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Toyota Corolla For Uber Was Vandalized Yesterday / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) / Top 8 Most Fuel Efficient Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.