Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,333 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

The Ijebu Vs Jebusite - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ijebu Vs Jebusite (8121 Views)

The Ijebu, The Yoruba And Their Influence On The Bible And Judaism / Fact About The Ijebu-ode / Igbo-ona, Ijebu-igbo, Igbomina: Are Yoruba's Historically Tied To Igbo's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 10:39am On Dec 03, 2020
Balogunodua:

When did she claim the entire ijebu are from Ife?
I've seen some name in the bible pertaining to the descendant of jebus which will could also say "omo-ijebu" in our present day ijebu people.
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 11:09am On Dec 03, 2020
Balogunodua:

When did she claim the entire ijebu are from Ife?
Let me end it with the bible reference some one gave. On youtube

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 11:36am On Dec 03, 2020
tollyboy5:

Okay good. Lets us all stop this kind bending of history and try to trace truth and fact. Many area in Lagos has Benin name origin.
If Eko means war camp I'll stand by the history of Lagos I once read. The aworis were attacking the Benin traders and the oba of Benin sent his army down to Lagos. On getting there they were fully accepted by the aworis.
It just shows the aworis were not strong enough to dominate the Benin soldiers so that accepted peace treaty with the benis.
I don't want any distortion in my head for now until I do more careful findings.
The egun of badagry fought the aworis and took over badagry area. Since the benin republic are close to badagry I will accept the fact that the aworis were the ones who went to settle on the egun axis. And they decided to chase them out.

I'll contact my badagry friends from Lagos state indigene union to know what they have to say. I guess thats a better way of getting through fact not one sided story favoring one sect of people

The aworis didn't peaceful accept benin traders in thier land the oba sent warriors to eko were they had to restrain the aworis with warand the aworis lost the way you said it, makes it like therr was never a war

Anyway make me understand benin conquered the old lagos

So how come there is a new lagos was it nigeria that formed the new lagos with old lagos
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 11:42am On Dec 03, 2020
Balogunodua:

Nobody is forcing Ile-Ife origin on anyone..and not all Yorubas are from Ife but Ife unites us and I don't see any Yoruba complaining.. me myself an Okun guy don't see anything wrong with it.

And as for the Benin boys cheesy they should provide evidence that the word Oba is of Benin origin and it meaning with prove just like TOA did.. grin

So you ancestors is not from ife, neither is Tao11
But you killl yourself and defend for a land that your ancestors known nothing about, or have any
Connections to, lol all for what to troll
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 12:05pm On Dec 03, 2020
gregyboy:

The aworis didn't peaceful accept benin traders in thier land the oba sent warriors to eko were they had to restrain the aworis with warand the aworis lost the way you said it, makes it like therr was never a war

Anyway make me understand benin conquered the old lagos

So how come there is a new lagos was it nigeria that formed the new lagos with old lagos

Ijebu fought the British . they saw the British invasion as danger to the ijebu culture. Ijebu were known to be fetish.
After defeating the ijebu army and thousands of life were lost they brought Epe under lagos province. The new Lagos later included badagry epe and ikorodu. Some part of Ogun state was later added.
You're the first person to spam this group and divert attension. undecided
I was trying to link ijebu with the jebus in the bible who according to the bible were punished for unrepentant pagan lifestyle
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 12:17pm On Dec 03, 2020
tollyboy5:

[s]Ijebu fought the British . they saw the British invasion as danger to the ijebu culture. Ijebu were known to be fetish.
After defeating the ijebu army and thousands of life were lost they brought Epe under lagos province The new Lagos later included badagry epe and ikorodu. Some part of Ogun state was later added.
You're the first person to spam this group and divert attension. undecided
I was trying to link ijebu with the jebus in the bible who according to the bible were punished for unrepentant pagan lifestyle[/s]

You have started in myth tracing ijebu to the bible

And an ijebu war with the britsh please provide a European document to this

Again how did the Ijebu bring epe into lagos

Bro dont get me angry here

Samuel johnson wrote the world was gotten from bini using them as sacrificial lamb

You should know who you're dealing with bro i dont just accept what people say because they say it
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 12:36pm On Dec 03, 2020
gregyboy:

Samuel johnson wrote the world was gotten from bini using them as sacrificial lamb

You should know who you're dealing with bro i dont just accept what people say because they say it
For you to understand better . I'm not from Lagos I'm from epe. Im ijebu-epe Lagos is a political name.
If I'll provide you some evidence. If you don't have counter evidence against the biblical jebus don't tell me story.
Ijebu never brought epe to Lagos. British named ijebu land which is epe as a province of Lagos.
Go and check how epe became Lagos before spewing what you don't know.
Is it because benin kingdom was popular you think there was no ijebu kingdom
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 12:48pm On Dec 03, 2020
gregyboy:

This thread has some epe people who also got oral history from their parent.
Most of you don't even ask natives. You just jump to conclusion undecided

https://www.nairaland.com/1118220/battle-imagbon-anglo-ijebu-war-1892

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 1:01pm On Dec 03, 2020
gregyboy:

They're other disturbing fact. But I don't want to just share them. I don't have time to do my own verification.

If you could tell me where the jebus who were know to be pagan worshipper are today . that would be a nice try.

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 1:09pm On Dec 03, 2020
gregyboy:

By the way who is Samuel jonshon ? undecided
I'm not just talking about random historian. These are ijebu natives telling their stories. If you can't pick some little oral words from natives don't compile rubbish!
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 03, 2020
The awori myth is nothing but a myth. There is no logical way to prove any people were "the first settlers" in any land.
Stop dabbling on myths.
The only provable thing which has been proven is that Lagos is part of Benin Kingdom.
End of story.
All the rest is just fairytail.
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 1:28pm On Dec 03, 2020
tollyboy5:

For you to understand better . I'm not from Lagos I'm from epe. Im ijebu-epe Lagos is a political name.
If I'll provide you some evidence. If you don't have counter evidence against the biblical jebus don't tell me story.
Ijebu never brought epe to Lagos. British named ijebu land which is epe as a province of Lagos.
Go and check how epe became Lagos before spewing what you don't know.
Is it because benin kingdom was popular you think there was no ijebu kingdom

Anyway
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 1:32pm On Dec 03, 2020
tollyboy5:

By the way who is Samuel jonshon ? undecided
I'm not just talking about random historian. These are ijebu natives telling their stories. If you can't pick some little oral words from natives don't compile rubbish!

Samuel johnson is a retard but they are some truth it could be saying do youany evidence of ijebu describing their origin pre1900

Samuel johson never claim benin as origin of the ijebu clan but rather how the name was gotten and and they way he wrote it was more like he got the fact from an ijebu or a benin informants

So waiting for your evidence
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 1:50pm On Dec 03, 2020
gregyboy:

Samuel johnson is a retard but they are some truth it could be saying do youany evidence of ijebu describing their origin pre1900

Samuel johson never claim benin as origin of the ijebu clan but rather how the name was gotten and and they way he wrote it was more like he got the fact from an ijebu or a benin infoormants

I've not read the Samuel Johnson account , but I know ijebu were rumoured to be popular with human sacrifies.
But I've not seen evidence of that. All the ijebu history the ijebus themselves know has nothing to do with Benin.
Its like you don't know how large ijebu people are?
Down to lekki, Victoria island, going down to Lagos Ibadan express way then their bothers with ondo state , even some ijebus fall under ondo state. Down to osun state, ijebu-ijesha . we are not talking about a small society bro.
The ijebu clan is far larger than the Benin.
Though I can't say of Benin empire.
No one has ever brought the ijebus under their power.
After the British conquered awujale a treaty was signed.
If ijebus be the biblical jebus then from ancient time there has never been a total conquerer of the ijebu clan.
Because the jebus still lived in their land and practice their pagan lifestyle. They knew themselves as jebus despite the change to Jerusalem .
Just the way ijebus maintain their status despite division by colonialism.

All this striking similarities are not coincidence. Apart from the pagan practice of the jebus I'll like to do research on their ancient practice. I've seen some tablet but I don't have that time now.
I created this thread to know if others did their findings but it seems people here are just after chest beating not research actually
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 1:58pm On Dec 03, 2020
davidmarker:
The awori myth is nothing but a myth. There is no logical way to prove any people were "the first settlers" in any land.
Stop dabbling on myths.
The only provable thing which has been proven is that Lagos is part of Benin Kingdom.
End of story.
All the rest is just fairytail.
Lol are blind to read that today Lagos land is larger than it was?
The other land added to Lagos has nothing to do with Benin.
If I should go by the geographical settlement , the ijebu-epe people has been on their land occupying eti-osa before the aworis came.
It was later ijebu land became part of Lagos state.
We don't know who is Benin or what is Benin. Only aworis know what they have in common with Benin.
We remain proud ijebu people cheesy
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 2:05pm On Dec 03, 2020
tollyboy5:

Lol are blind to read that today Lagos land is larger than it was?
The other land added to Lagos has nothing to do with Benin.
If I should go by the geographical settlement , the ijebu-epe people has been on their land occupying eti-osa before the aworis came.
It was later ijebu land became part of Lagos state.
We don't know who is Benin or what is Benin. Only aworis know what they have in common with Benin.
We remain proud ijebu people cheesy

You Claim ijebu military power with benin

Now isago is a kindom benin had waged war with and subdued, and isago in European account seems to be military stronger than smaller kingdom of ijebu

Lets start saying truth and not myth

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 2:07pm On Dec 03, 2020
gregyboy:

Samuel johnson is a retard but they are some truth it he wrote it was more like he got the fact from an ijebu or a benin informants

If you do a little search you notice they're a lot of stories on the meaning of ijebu. Some trying to relate the name to ife.
Its just too obvious that the name ijebu is as old as what people should date.
Its the only name in Nigeria that is mentioned in the bible. The jebusite are the son of jebus. But ijebu call themselves omo-jebu .
Meaning children of jebu or descendant of jebu.
We are also on the fact finding for now.

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 2:11pm On Dec 03, 2020
tollyboy5:

I've not read the Samuel Johnson account , but I know ijebu were rumoured to be popular with human sacrifies.
But I've not seen evidence of that. All the ijebu history the ijebus themselves know has nothing to do with Benin.
Its like you don't know how large ijebu people are?
Down to lekki, Victoria island, going down to Lagos Ibadan express way then their bothers with ondo state , even some ijebus fall under ondo state. Down to osun state, ijebu-ijesha . we are not talking about a small society bro.
The ijebu clan is far larger than the Benin.
Though I can't say of Benin empire.
No one has ever brought the ijebus under their power.
After the British conquered awujale a treaty was signed.
If ijebus be the biblical jebus then from ancient time there has never been a total conquerer of the ijebu clan.
Because the jebus still lived in their land and practice their pagan lifestyle. They knew themselves as jebus despite the change to Jerusalem .
Just the way ijebus maintain their status despite division by colonialism.

All this striking similarities are not coincidence. Apart from the pagan practice of the jebus I'll like to do research on their ancient practice. I've seen some tablet but I don't have that time now.
I created this thread to know if others did their findings but it seems people here are just after chest beating not research actually

Lol, you're making up myth bro were all this ijebu in this various areas ruled by a sovereign king

Or they ruled themselves individually

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Balogunodua(m): 2:17pm On Dec 03, 2020
gregyboy:

So you ancestors is not from ife, neither is Tao11
But you killl yourself and defend for a land that your ancestors known nothing about, or have any
Connections to, lol all for what to troll

Edo miscreant on the beat... grin TAO ancestors are from Ile-Ife so she has right to defend it likewise me cause it the birth place of our unity and my ancestors also came from Ife.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 2:19pm On Dec 03, 2020
gregyboy:

You Claim ijebu military power with benin

Now isago is a kindom benin had waged war with and subdued, and isago in European account seems to be military stronger than smaller kingdom of ijebu

Lets start saying truth and not myth

As you can see the statement has to be treated with reserve. It was an exaggeration rather than political fact bro according to your post.
Ill repeat myself. We have no records of Benin in ijebu land. Strong nation mostly trample of softer ones.
I came to know about ijebu British war and some other fact, when I noticed my grandparent don't refer themselves as Lagos, instead they say their ijebus. Ijebu are good preservers of history thats why some surname in Nigeria are only attached to ijebu race.
For this kind of preservation of long ancestral surname I belief our history should be carefully searched and I'm going to do that very soon.
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Balogunodua(m): 2:23pm On Dec 03, 2020
[quote author=tollyboy5 post=96684948][/quote]
She made a research and posted it with evidence...so counter her claim with your own research that says otherwise.

But I don't see anything wrong with calling Ife home...
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 2:24pm On Dec 03, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, you're making up myth bro were all this ijebu in this various areas ruled by a sovereign king

Or they ruled themselves individually
Who was awujale of ijebu kingdom ruling then? undecided

Why do you remove the second screenshot to prove what you desire .
You don't want to be true to yourself. Your forcing Benin account on ijebu people by force.
We are very well educated for that young man

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 2:24pm On Dec 03, 2020
I should also make a point clear about the following types of accounts:

(1) Accounts which claim that Benin ruled any part of Lagos.

(2) Accounts which claim that Benin ruled any part of Ijebu.

(3) Accounts which claim that Benin ruled any part of Yorubaland for that matter (except Itsekiri*).

All such accounts are uncorroborated accounts which, in fact, emerged originally and ab-initio from the Binis themselves.

Such uncorroborated and self-serving accounts are, by default, discarded and trashed in historical analysis.

cc: Balogunodua, tollyboy5

———————
* I should clarify that the Itsekiri were not conquered. Rather, they absorbed the immigrating royal party from Benin and handed the state affairs to them because — according to them — both them and the Benin royal party are one band of brother from Ife.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 2:27pm On Dec 03, 2020
Balogunodua:

She made a research and posted it with evidence...so counter her claim with your own research that says otherwise.

But I don't see anything wrong with calling Ife home...
I don't see anything wrong either. The thread was for those who has done more deeper search on ijebu , before that Benin boy came to spam the thread and tao came with counter evidence

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 2:37pm On Dec 03, 2020
tollyboy5:

[s]As you can see the statement has to be treated with reserve[/s]. It was an exaggeration rather than political fact bro according to your post.
Ill repeat myself. We have no records of Benin in ijebu land. Strong nation mostly trample of softer ones.
I came to know about ijebu British war and some other fact, when I noticed my grandparent don't refer themselves as Lagos, instead they say their ijebus. Ijebu are good preservers of history thats why some surname in Nigeria are only attached to ijebu race.
For this kind of preservation of long ancestral surname I belief our history should be carefully searched and I'm going to do that very soon.

So i should belive you, that ijebu military was stronger than bini or could be matched because you said it

We should disprove a European account who had observed things by themselves than you who ia typing from lagos

Drop you self ego before i shatter them
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Balogunodua(m): 2:41pm On Dec 03, 2020
tollyboy5:

I don't see anything wrong either. The thread was for those who has done more deeper search on ijebu , before that Benin boy came to spam the thread and tao came with counter evidence
The Benin miscreant has already be dealt with... grin all he has now is operation trolling.... grin

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 2:41pm On Dec 03, 2020
Moreover, the author of that particular account was a EUrOpEaN named Olfert Dapper.

Guess what! Olfert Dapper never travelled out of his country (i.e.Netherlands) since the day he was born till the day he died. Lol.

But in any case, the actual refutations is that such account (which alleges that Benin ruled some Yorubaland) actually originate ab-initio from the Binis themselves

And the accounts are always uncorroborated by the accounts of the Yoruba people alleged to have been ruled over — except Itsekiri as I have noted above.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Balogunodua(m): 2:49pm On Dec 03, 2020
TAO11:
Moreover, the author of that particular account was a man named Dapper who never left his country of Netherlands since the day he was born till the day he died. Lol.

But in any case, the actual point is that such account of of Benin allegedly ruling others originates from Binis themselves — and it is always uncorroborated by the accounts of the Yoruba people alleged to have been ruled over — except Itsekiri as I have noted above. we

Just like me telling an European man that am the one ruling Lagos while sitting in my room.... grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 2:51pm On Dec 03, 2020
Balogunodua:

Just like me telling an European man that am the one ruling Lagos while sitting in my room.... grin grin
Exactly!

And the EUrOpEaN publishes it. And then Benin Nairalanders scream YAY! See, an EUrOpEaN said it.

The funny part of this particular account (which he attached) is that the EUrOpEaN author (Olfert Dapper) has never stepped out of his country (Netherlands) throughout his entire life. Isn’t that amazing!? grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Balogunodua(m): 2:53pm On Dec 03, 2020
TAO11:
Exactly!

And the EUrOpEaN publishes it. And then Benin Nairalanders scream YAY! See, an EUrOpEaN said it.

The funny part of this particular account (which he attached) is that the EUrOpEaN author (Olfert Dapper) has never stepped out of his country throughout his entire life. Isn’t that amazing!? grin
Very amazing.... grin

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 2:56pm On Dec 03, 2020
tollyboy5:

Let me just drop this here for you @tollyboy5 — A question:

Where does Oba Adetona (the reigning* Awujale) claim as the homeland of the Ijebu-Odes from which they migrated down to Ijebu-Ode ??

—————
*Please not that I emphasized “reigning“ because his predecessors don’t say the same. His predecessors uphold the Ife origin as is historical factual and to be expected.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 2:56pm On Dec 03, 2020
gregyboy:

So i should belive you, that ijebu military was stronger than bini or could be matched because you said it

We should disprove a European account who had observed things by themselves than you who ia typing from lagos

Drop you self ego before i shatter them
Shatter wetin? The Benin never cross their boundaries with ijebus. I'm very sure they've been hearing stories about them for long.
They should have tried their luck then maybe by now we'll have areas like ijebu-edo grin
So I don't know who is stronger. All I'm saying that ijebu clan was large enough and we don't need anyone to force us to know that were one.
Benin was busying conquering smaller kingdom and expanding territories but we remain ijebus and expanded our settlement. Hope your noting the difference BT the two bah?
Ijebu is know not to have been under the Oyo empire. Oyo empire was popularly know for stopping the expansion of usman-danfodio jihad . if not we'll have Igbo Muslim today.

If you're not satisfied with these I'll ask you to go tell oba of Benin to send Benin warriors down to to ijebu let test something grin
Our closest brother the egba people will be the one to stop the Benin warriors while ijebus will be doing their normal partying and flexing. tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

April Fool Jokes Messages And Pranks Ideas / NASA Claim “dozens” Of Advanced Civilisations Existed Before Us / Traditional Marriage Rite In Cross River State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.